Sunday, May 20, 2012

Tax forms reveal Weis’ Notre Dame buyout

We knew all along that current Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis had been paid by his former employer to go away.

But now we know how much Notre Dame paid him.

According to an article that ran in the Chicago Tribune earlier this week, Weis has received nearly $8.7 million dollars from Notre Dame since being fired in 2009, and is in line to continue receiving compensation through 2015. Weis’ buyout from Notre Dame could total as much as $19 million by then.

Weis’ compensation included an initial amount of more than $6.6 million after his firing and payments totaling a little more than $2 million from July 2010 through June 2011.

The Tribune gained access to the financial numbers through a request for Form 990 that Notre Dame was required to submit to the Internal Revenue Service.

Weis, who spent one season as the offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs and another as the offensive coordinator at Florida, was hired by KU in December 2011 at a salary of $2.5 million per year, plus incentives, for five years.

Six on preseason list

Six KU players were named to college football analyst Phil Steele’s preseason All-Big 12 squads earlier this week.

Senior safety Bradley McDougald, senior defensive end Toben Opurum and senior tight end Mike Ragone, a fifth-year transfer from Notre Dame, all were named to Steele’s third team.

Senior offensive linemen Tanner Hawkinson and Duane Zlatnik were named to the fourth team, where they were joined by junior linebacker Darius Willis.

ESPN praises Pierson

Sophomore running back Tony Pierson was one of seven Big 12 players named to ESPN.com Big 12 football writer David Ubben’s list of “spring breakout players.”

Pierson, whose 141 rushing yards and blazing-fast 88-yard touchdown trot highlighted KU’s spring game in late April, appears to be in line for more touches, both on the ground and in the passing game, as a follow-up to his solid freshman campaign.

Of Pierson, Ubben wrote: “Pierson made a small impact last season, but he’s essentially the unquestioned starter at KU for now after Darrian Miller was kicked off the team and James Sims was suspended for the first three games of 2012. The East St. Louis native is dangerous in the open field and gives KU a much-needed home-run threat.”

Weis the baseball fan

Just a couple of weeks after presenting New York center fielder Curtis Granderson with some KU gear out at Kauffman Stadium while watching the Kansas City Royals take on the Yankees, the KU football coach made a spirited appearance at Game 2 of KU’s three-game series with arch-rival Missouri over the weekend.

The Jayhawks, who took two of three from the Tigers, won Friday’s game, 6-3, and clinched a spot in next week’s Big 12 tournament in Oklahoma.

Weis sat outside with other KU officials on the baseball terrace of the McCarthy Family Clubhouse, and was on his feet for the top of the ninth when the Jayhawks sealed the victory.

Comments

bear2read 1 year, 10 months ago

For some of you naysayers about the value of this story, just remember that the LJW sports staff is responsible for sharing information with the public about coaches who are hired by KU as it is a public institution. The public has a right to know and there are people out there who are interested in it.

Don't be so ridiculously picky and critical of the sports staff. They're just doing their job whether or not you understand it. Oh, maybe you should try being a sports writer and put your name on a story and see who likes it and who doesn't! The LJ-W sports staff overall does a great job.

1jhawk2 1 year, 11 months ago

What's the connection with Curtis Granderson?

hooper 1 year, 11 months ago

With money being thrown around like that, maybe they can buy Self some real recruits with that kind of money. Lord nows, that he needs help. We just don't need that kind of recruitment, when we have the best coach that knows how to get great recruits. Example, last year!

martyks 1 year, 11 months ago

Okay, sorry if I'm a skeptic. The idea that he's set for life and is here only to prove something is ludicrous. When has a billionaire made "enough" money? You know any of them? You ever hear of anyone? Enough is just never enough. Secondly, it has nothing to do with us? Yeah... the fact that a guy beat his first wife has nothing to do with the second wife, does it? Get real here. If CW fails here, and he just might, big time, KU will be paying him millions to go away also. I grew up near South Bend and watched the entire debacle unfold. I consider ND's millions paid to Weis to go away the only money they spent well during the entire disaster. Now, maybe, just maybe, he wasn't up for the ND job and is up for the KU job. If that's true, cool. My only concern is, the man has shown how easy it is for him to sell snake oil. He has yet to prove he can coach college football. I'm not anticipating great years ahead. I'll be happy if we are competitive in the next five years... but I will also be surprised.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 11 months ago

Good thing Notre Dame is still paying him.

We couldn't afford him otherwise.

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 11 months ago

Tait, thanks for the article. I disagree with some of the posters about reporting this. Relevance is not that important yet there is some. This tells me that Weiss is absolutely loving his situation as he is in a low-pressure situation, that he doesn't need this job in the least (fortunately I think our young talented AD gets that), that he took this job because he sees potential here and he likes the KC area. He said as much and his ND buyout should give credibility to that statement.

machinegun 1 year, 11 months ago

The Preacher got 10 million for banning the use of profanity.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

19 Million!!! With as much money as college football brings in, I don't have any issues with a coach making money. I only have an issue with an AD giving such a contract to a coach in their first few years.

I think only now after 10 years and 2 Final Fours, I would be comfortable with a similar contract to Bill Self.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 11 months ago

And 90% of this article is other peoples work. The real story in all of this is Charlie at the baseball game. It shows he's bought in. Run with that. If you're going to copy and paste other people's stuff at least add to it. How does 6 players on Steele's list compare to years past? How about a qoute from TP or HCCW on his spring performance which is gathering national attention. And if you must go TMZ do so in a 2-3 sentence paragraph at the end of the story.

gchawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Matt, this is one of the first times I've given one of your articles a little "questionable shake of the head", not the entire article mind you, just the first part concerning Weis' Notre Dame buyout. Maybe it's just me, but I can't see why this would be newsworthy, let alone anyone's business other than the parties concerned. This seems like another example of the media feeling the need to disclose every little sordid detail about anyone who is even remotely famous. Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying that Coach is merely remotely famous, and I also know that the Tribune originally ran it, but you did choose to run it as well. I'm sure I'm showing my age, just consider me a geezer, by having this opinion, but I kind of miss some of the aspects of the old days when every single detail wasn't printed about people's lives for the whole world to dissect.

Edward Daub 1 year, 11 months ago

Same theme, different day. Coaches are paid huge sums of money. The athletes are expected to be happy with a scholarship. Slim pickings for sports news.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 11 months ago

And maybe a little TMZ'ish by reporting what his payout from ND is. What's the point? It has nothing to do with KU other than trying to stir up some fans dislike for and add pressure to HCCW because his bank account is bigger than most. LJW and Tait, your better than this!