Thursday, May 17, 2012

Coach: Recruit Anrio Adams ‘big-time talent’

Guard Anrio Adams. (Rivals.com contributed photo)

Guard Anrio Adams. (Rivals.com contributed photo)

Anrio Adams, the Associated Press Class 3A basketball player of the year in the state of Washington, should be able to make an immediate, major impact at Kansas University during the 2012-13 season.

So says Seattle Rainier Beach High coach Mike Bethea, whose squad rolled to a 28-2 record and state title in 2011-12, thanks in large part to Adams, a 6-foot-3 senior combo guard who averaged a team-leading 23.0 points and 6.0 assists a game.

“The guy is such a big-time talent. If he does what he’s supposed to do, he’ll be the starting point guard (at KU) next year,” said Bethea, who stands by an earlier statement that Adams reminds him of Miami Heat phenom Dwyane Wade.

“No question about it. Anybody who sees that kid. He has ... oh my goodness, the kid is so talented,” Bethea added. “He is gifted with the ball. He had three to four double-assist games for us. He knows how to get people the ball in the right position and knows how to score as well.”

Adams, who orally committed to KU on Nov. 19, hasn’t generated much buzz nationally.

That could be because some have questioned whether the No. 98-ranked player in the Class of 2012 will be eligible to play next season.

Adams reportedly did not sign a letter-of-intent Wednesday, the final day of the spring signing period, because he has yet to be cleared academically for a scholarship. Reportedly, his most recent ACT score in coming weeks will be matched with his final semester grades in core courses and a determination on his eligibility finalized. No letter of intent is necessary for a high schooler to play college basketball.

Adams — he began his junior season at Seattle’s Franklin High before transferring to Seattle Garfield and moving on to Rainier Beach for his senior campaign — said Wednesday on Twitter he will arrive at KU on June 28. “Also I Will Be Wearing #2 this Year J-hawkation! I Got a Composite Score of 18 i passed,” he wrote, apparently referring to the score on his most recent standardized test.

On Facebook, Adams wrote: “Passed My ACT I will be Attend KansasUniversity On June28th!! #JAyHawkNAtion.... i got a SCORE OF (18).”

Coach Bethea believes his prize pupil will survive the standards of the NCAA clearinghouse.

“You know what? I’d be surprised if he’s not (eligible). He’s been doing very well,” Bethea said. “The first time he took the SAT, he just went in and took it cold turkey. He studied for the ACT. He knew what he had to get to qualify. We’re keeping our fingers crossed, hoping for the best. I think he’ll be OK.”

Assuming Adams qualifies, KU would have 12 scholarship players for 2012-13. KU has not yet offered Chicago combo guard Milton Doyle, who visited campus Monday and Tuesday. The Jayhawks are awaiting word from former University of South Carolina forward Damontre Harris, who is expected to choose between KU and Florida any day now.

KU only has scholarship space for two of the three of Adams, Harris and Doyle.

“He’s really fired up about being a Jayhawk,” Bethea said of Adams. “There’s history with his godbrother, Rodrick (Stewart, Rainier Beach High graduate and former KU guard). Rodrick told him how things are down there (at KU). He’s pretty amped about going there.”

Bethea said he can understand why Adams hasn’t inked a letter-of-intent, considering freshmen Ben McLemore and Jamari Traylor were ineligible a year ago.

“That’s why we’re approaching this here with kid gloves,” Bethea said. “Coach (Bill) Self and those guys have to make sure everything is all lined up in a row before they can physically commit to signing him. It’s one of those things when we learn he’s good to go ... coach wants him to be there. He wants to be there.”

Adams would be stunned if he’s not contributing for KU this upcoming season.

“He’s not even thinking any other way than being a Jayhawk,” Bethea said.

Doyle likes KU

Milton Doyle, a 6-4 senior from Chicago’s Marshall High, had a great time on his visit to KU.

“I had never seen Allen Fieldhouse up close, so that was a cool experience for me,” he told Rivals.com. “Being able to see Allen Fieldhouse just allowed me to see how much history the program has. Everybody already knows what Kansas basketball is and what it’s about, but it was good for me to see some of the history for myself.”

Doyle, who averaged 19 points, eight rebounds, five assists and five steals last season, wants to attend KU, which his mom Lisa calls his “dream school.”

“I really don’t know what I’m going to do next,” he said. “Kansas is definitely at the top of my list.”

Self says …

KU coach Self was featured on Jason King’s ESPN coaches corner on Wednesday. He was asked if he’d like the Big 12 to add a few more teams or stay at 10.

“I thought nine was the perfect number. Because that way you’re playing 16 league games and, in football, everybody plays eight games,” he said. “But I understand the reasoning why you’d want to go to 10 or 12. It gives you more of an appearance of stability and more of a safety net as conference realignment continues to develop. Hopefully the brakes have been put on that, at least for the short term. But I anticipate us expanding. We’ve even heard rumors here recently about a school from the ACC (Florida State) potentially looking to come our way. I think you’ll have more and more of that talk. Because the Big 12, at least from an appearance standpoint, is on the best footing it’s been on in a long time.”

Of McLemore, he said: “From an athletic standpoint, he’s about as impressive of a kid as we’ve had. He’s got great feet. He could be a good defender. There aren’t too many guys that can score that want to be told they could be a great defender. But he could be. He could be a terrific defender.”

Comments

Alohahawk 1 year, 11 months ago

p>Zagsblog.com has an article on NBA tryouts (Title references to Machado...) in which TT is mentioned as one of the top four point guards which may be selected in the next draft. Article does, however, say "Taylor from Kentucky...").

midwest_muser 1 year, 11 months ago

Do we know what jersey numbers the incoming players plan on wearing?

michael anway 1 year, 11 months ago

Sign all three and redshirt Tharpe!

lee3022 1 year, 11 months ago

The caution I would note for would-be lineup makers is coach Self is all about competition, first getting competent on defense. There is little chance that Withey or EJ get beaten out and perhaps Releford as well but these guys will work against each other all summer to hone their skills. I seem to remember that the NCAA has relaxed the rules and allows coaches some teaching time during the off season so by the time they go to Europe they will be ready to compete for time. Initially the older guys have a huge advantage but as the season progresses I look for more time from the younger players as well. The lineup that starts when league play opens (barring injury) will likely be the starting lineup when we take the court in Atlanta in April.

The wildcard here is the perception of the better players on whether they can come to KU and get time right away, hastening their departure for larger paychecks. After Selby's struggles, will coach want to showcase White and Ellis even more than they earn in competition? My gut says no - Bill Self is going to coach the same way every year as far as his principles. What do you think?

bennybob 1 year, 11 months ago

I don;t know if anybody has the same advertisements on the side of this web page as me but, apparaently Jeremy Lin has a book already?

Seriously?

~20 games in the NBA lands you a book deal these days?

Wow, the NBA is desperate to find an asian player to market in replace of Yao Ming.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 11 months ago

My starting line-up guess:

PG - EJ SG - Ben Mac SF - Releford PF - Perry Ellis C - Withey

Tharpe will by EJ's main back-up, but White will be the 6th man getting the most minutes subbing for Ben and Releford. Adams/Doyle get 5-8 mins as PG/SG.

The bigs are trickier. I think Withey will averge 25-30 mins, so there are minutes for Lucas and Peters (as a 4/5). I think Traylor is Ellis's main back-up, with Young getting some minutes (and Wesley in garbage time). Young may also sub for Releford at the 3.

So, after the starting five, I see the most minutes going to (in order): -White -Traylor -Lucas -Tharpe -Young -Adams/Doyle -Peters -Wesley -the walk-ons

I think the rotation at the beginning of the year will be heavy and the players with the best D and the ones who "buy in" get the minutes come February and beyond.

tjg1 1 year, 11 months ago

There is a lot of good discussion here regarding possible lineups. I honestly think that all of our recruits look like they could make some very positive impacts and think we'll only know once we seem them play. However, what hasn't been discussed is the fact that an 18 on your ACT is nothing to be proud of. My parents forced me to take it twice and I got a 26. He should be proud that he passed and gets to come play at KU, but I wouldn't have broadcast a score that low.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 11 months ago

I think defensively we'll be fine. Usually are with how Bill Self coaches these guys. Plus we have our two best defenders back, Releford and Withey. Those guys change games on their own just by their defensive ability. Releford wears guys down by his sticky defense, and Withey literally changes their whole shot perception. I think if we get Harris we will have a solid big defense. Also, Johnson is a better defender than what he gets credit for. Bring in Anrio, McLemore, and Traylors talents, and I'm pretty sure we'll be top 10 again this season for sure. I'm also looking for Tharpe to step it up. With Anrio and Traylor so highly talked about, I wonder if this will motivate him to reach his potential. From what I hear Tharpe is a very intelligent guy. Has a great basketball mind and can really lead a team when it needs to happen. Kind of reminds me of a Aaron Miles or Russel Robinson. The only question I have is, does this team have the heart last years team had? We will find out! RCJH!!

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 11 months ago

Being barely in the top 100 in your class is still in the top 100 in your class. AA is a good get no matter how you slice it. Is he DWade? Maybe, but probably not as a frosh. Actually, I'd compare him most directly with TT. He's got speed, a good jumper, and the ability to get to the rim, but he lacks maturity and struggles when his shot isn't falling. Also a rep as a big time hacker. He plays D with his hands not his feet. Whether or not he's a competent scorer, if he doesn't play Self D, he doesn't touch the floor. If anything, that will hold him back. But I really do think he can have the same sort of trajectory as TT. If he sticks for all 4 years, look out for very good junior and senior campaigns.

addlime 1 year, 11 months ago

Of the three recruits apparently vying for two schollies, how do you rank them based on both the players' abilities and potential as well as the teams' needs both next year and beyond?

Personally, I'm not sure why the Harris offer isn't being pulled and offered to Doyle to hedge against an Adams ineligibility. (except for the chance that maybe KU coaches are WAY classier than me and they don't rescind offers that easily) Of course, I don't know anything compared to the coaches. Just curious what others think.

nwhawkfan 1 year, 11 months ago

Once he gets to KU (assuming he qualifies), Anrio needs to work on staying out of foul trouble. It kept him on the bench for a good chunk of the state title game, the semifinal, and a mid-season game against Long Beach Poly that was supposed to be a showcase for his talents. Long-term he may be more effective as a sub, instead of carrying the load by himself like he did much of this year.

stinkybulldog 1 year, 11 months ago

hooper - go burn some couches or shoot someone in the leg.

Can't wait to hear, RIO FOR 3! Brings back some memories.

lothario 1 year, 11 months ago

wow. maybe he isn't going to KU after all. then again, Self needs to stop recruiting players that have attended 3 high schools. they are always in question with academics.

as for Doyle i know his stats are for high school play but holy cow they are impressive: averaged 19 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists and 5 steals last season

if Anrio was at NU, then I'd have to go with Doyle.

hooper 1 year, 11 months ago

Hey, how are the jayhawks doing today. How's the recruiting going? Looks like we are on track to having a outstanding year again. John is one of the best at this recruiting game that we know. Last year and the year before that showed that. Hope all is well, later.

jdhawk1988 1 year, 11 months ago

Had a good talk with one of our coaches a few weeks back and he said of Peters "the only reason he wasn't top 40 was he stopped playing AAU ball in his Junior year.He did all the little dirty things for his HS team to win and didn't focus on his individual stats last season. and he will have a immediate role with our team this year."

I wished I asked him about Adams

wildjayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Adams was seen in Lincoln Ne, today talking to coach Miles. Not sure where he is going.

longhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

On Adams' eligibility....If I read the NCAA sliding scale for eligibility correctly, if he got an 18, I assume that's the average number, which would put the sum at 72, or around there.

Means he would need a 2.375 GPA to be eligible.

IF I'm reading it correctly. Might not be......

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

My Fellow posters, all this speculation is great fun and well placed by all. But please look at who is in charge. HCBS goes with the guys that got him there.

Ink in Jeff, Travis and Elijah as starters and Kevin as the sixth man...four seniors [aren't Travis and Kevin even five year guys?.]

From this point on, you can debate starters #4, #5 and bench players #7, #8 and #9.

My take:

4 Perry - super-talented and Bill has followed Perry since he cut his first tooth

5 Ben - a scoring machine with a year of "experience."

then, off the bench after Kevin,

7 Nadiir - point guard of the future

8 Anrio - swing man with good ability

9 Jamari - a big body also wth a year of "experieince."

If anything Bill is consistent, although this year will be a real coaching challenge, but for a different reason...... Last season Bill was short of chess pieces.....this upcoming season, he's going to have a whole board full!!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 11 months ago

It's really pretty funny to hear these high school coaches project these guys into college stardom. We heard it with Milton Bradley (Doyle) and now with Adams, and we've heard it before. Most high school coaches are teachers that only coach during a high school season, and have very little perspective on AAU ball and the vast numbers of talented kids.

A ridiculous statement for the coach to say “The guy is such a big-time talent. If he does what he’s supposed to do, he’ll be the starting point guard (at KU) next year" .. and standing by a statement that he reminds the coach of "Dwayne Wade." What value is any of that? Zero to less than zero.

But it is this sort of stuff that many buy into. Jsatt3 says "I like the D-Wade comparison" .. I bet you do, son. But then you'll see Adams dribble off his foot vs. Kennesaw St, or fling a pass into the third row, or lose his man on a back door, or lack proper spacing on defensive end leading to an easy opponent's bucket or a foul by Withey --- leading to a Self implosion, and back to the bench. That's reality.

Adams is just player. A barely top 100 player with academic issues. A player that we can hope will be eligible. A player we can hope will be good enough to compete to be in the rotation. Reasonably a player to provide depth his first season in case of an emergency. A talent to be developed, who could be a major contributor at some point. Forget what the high school coach says. It's meaningless.

We've got some guy posting above that Adams is our first sub off the bench. Unreal. And for that matter, unrelated, another guy posting that Tharpe will start over Releford .. not sure what world he's living in.

Now I was told the other day that I was our resident "glass half empty" poster. Maybe a shot glass of reality poster. I don't know.

But seriously, who is naive enough to buy into the hype we see in some of these articles, or from other sources?

Earlier in the week, Doyle was a huge sleeper, diamond in the rough, brilliant find by Self .... ugh. Now what? In reality, nothing's changed. Doyle is the type of recruit that we sign if .. and only if .. we absolutely have to .. to provide emergency depth. Merv Lindsay. And then he is a OAF (One And Flush) candidate, to borrow JB's accurate acronym. Better off going to Peoria and choosing Bradley.

Let's just hope we get Adams in, and that he is eligible. Those are two very nice steps. Then we can see Dwayne Wade .. er .. Adams, on the court.

IrishCharlie 1 year, 11 months ago

3 schools in 2 years, any reason given?

DocBean 1 year, 11 months ago

Zagsblog said that Doyle wanted to sign this weekend, but Self and the coaching staff told him to wait, so he's looking elsewhere.

Is there any truth to that?

kujh1970 1 year, 11 months ago

It seems like every year there is someone who comes along with great potential. Potential doesn't win championships. If these kids can listen to coach Self, do what he says and put their ego's aside, there is a good chance that we can chalk up another Big 12 championship and final four appearance.

leonard 1 year, 11 months ago

"He could be a good defender" -- Coach Self

When Coach Self and staff take off their recruiting hats and don their coaching hats...that cold world of "reality" looms for a bunch of youngsters.

With at least 7 very talented freshman competing for playing time next year...those that figure out that you have to play defense to earn time on the court will be the ones making significant contributions to the 2012-2013 squad.

For those that don't? The KU bench is a great place to watch some big-time basketball.

bennybob 1 year, 11 months ago

"If he does what he’s supposed to do, he’ll be the starting point guard (at KU) next year,”

not going to happen.

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 11 months ago

Start the clock. On May 16th Anrio Adams claims to have secured eligibility with an 18 ACT. Now it's off to the NCAA clearinghouse who will issue a ruling about October 16th!

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 11 months ago

LJW...what's your take on the lineup? Provide stats please.

BrockIII 1 year, 11 months ago

In regards to the NCAA Clearinghouse, Adams has transferred several times, but only to accredited high schools. McLemore, Anderson and even Rush experienced road blocks because of the schools/diploma factories they attended along the way.

This is really great news for KU and I am eager to see Adams suit up next year. And with so much future talent in the "smalls" department with McLemore, White, Adams, Tharpe, Frankamp and Greene, it's interesting to speculate who will be handling the ball in a year or two.

Self is still recruiting Freeman, Ennis and others in the 2013 class, but the guard position looks loaded already. Right now, it appears the minutes at point in 2013 would be between Tharpe, Frankamp, and maybe Adams.

All I know of Adams is from what I've seen in videos and read in scouting reports, but it looks like he fits that freakish athletic combo guard mold that Self loves and has the capacity to put it all together - we'll have to wait and see. At worst, he looks to be an athletic slasher with a great jumper. Self is putting together a truly shooting team.

jayhawkbenny27 1 year, 11 months ago

G. EJ G. Naadir G. B Mac F. Perry Ellis (I like saying his full name) C. Withey

Top Bench Relly, KY, Traylor Wild cards Adams and White... Not many freshman have gotten PT under HCBS. Only Xavier, Josh and Tyshawn have started once he built the program. Mario, Julian, BRush had to since we were so thin back then. Also we get articles on every incoming frosh just like this every year... I bet you all thought Merv was going to be a stud too... Adams isn't ranked high and neither is Peters or Lucas. I don't expect much from them early on. At least we've seen glimpses of good play from Naadir.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 11 months ago

Sounds like this is going to be a big week for Kansas. Hopefully, Adams gets his 18 on the ACT and everything can go smoothly with the Clearinghouse to make him "Elgible" for the upcoming season.

With that said, I will believe it when I see it when Anrio sports the #2 jersey this year. You just never know what the clearinghouse will or will not do so I will stay optimistic but cautious until Late Night opens on the 15th of October.

It sounds like Harris is going to make his decision by Friday of this week so his decision will most likely affect that of Doyle who is waiting on Adams scores and Harris' decision.

If Anrio Adams can provide half the production or even 60 percent of the minutes that TT produced his freshman year in 2009 than I will be a happy man. I'm not a big fan of a coach making comments like that, but you have to love the confidence of Anrio Adams's camp and people.

I liked Self's commens on expansion, but from a fan perspective I would like to see the Big 12 expand and get a little more stable. Hopefully, they can do this swiftly and quickly and have this for the most part wrapped up by the conclusion of the June meetings. Probably not likely but it sure would be nice.

Joe Satterwhite 1 year, 11 months ago

If Adams passes the Clearinghouse, which I wouldn't be suprised if he didn't seeing how the NCAA hates KU, is it too early to do starting lineups?

1.EJ at point;Tharpe backing him up 2.B-Mac at 2: Adams backing him up could play point also but I like the D-Wade comparison 3.Relly at 3, White backing him up seeing how he said he's molding his game off of Brandon Rush's 4. It's a toss-up right here, could be Ellis or it could be Traylor but this spot will be stacked with competition along with Young 5. Withey; along with Lucas(supposedly he's 6''10 now) and Peters

KUDUDE 1 year, 11 months ago

THERE SHOULD BE GOOD NEWS ABOUT ANRIO ADMAS COMEING

phogphan2000 1 year, 11 months ago

I didn't catch the "aren't too many guys that can score that want to be told they could be a great defender" comment quite right on the ESPN video, hopefully he's already made strides towards becoming a great defender. That's my biggest concern from last year to this year, whether the defense will be as solid. Sure there's losing an offensive post-threat and rebounder like TRob and the playmaking ability of TT, but offense can be generated in different ways. Both of those guys knew how to defend and that will be tough replicate.

I would hope they have a pretty good idea of what score Adams needed to qualify. Have to wait on the Clearinghouse though. Also, I will be pleasantly surprised if he's able to start at PG next year. Tough starting 5 to crack so he'd have to be pretty impressive to make it happen.

Glad Doyle enjoyed his visit