Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Vacation’s over: Self refreshed, ready for 10th season at KU

From left, KU basketball senior Jordan Juenemann, coach Bill Self, and players Tyshawn Taylor and Conner Teahan gather for a photograph before Sunday's KU commencement at Memorial Stadium.

Refreshed after last week’s golf excursion to Cabo San Lucas — and energized after watching three of his Kansas University basketball players graduate on Sunday — an upbeat Bill Self returned to work bright and early Monday.

“I love it here,” Self said Tuesday afternoon, acknowledging he’s eager for his 10th season as Jayhawk coach to officially begin with the start of summer school classes on June 5.

He’s not the only member of his family rather fond of KU.

Self on Tuesday was pleased to report that his youngest child, Tyler, will join daughter, Lauren, as a member of KU’s student body. Free State High graduate Lauren is a senior-to-be; fellow Firebird Tyler an incoming freshman.

“Tyler has made a decision to attend the University of Kansas. He’ll be coming to school here, following in his sister’s footsteps,” Self said with a smile.

Tyler, a starting guard on the FSHS basketball team, may yet join KU’s team as a walk-on.

“I’ve opened the door for him to do that, but he hasn’t made a decision yet if that’s what he wants to do or not,” Bill Self said. “I like the fact he would even consider it. At this point in time, he doesn’t know. He is going to be a Phi Delt. He wants to be a normal college kid. If he wants to come and walk on, he may have to adjust that a little bit. As of right now, he’s not decided to do that (play for KU).”

Some exciting news about the program was released last week while Self was on vacation. The Jayhawks will be headed to Switzerland and Paris for four exhibition games Aug. 6-14.

“We’ve elected to wait to go over Labor Day the last two times,” Self said of KU’s two past trips to Canada, “because that way incoming freshmen could go. They just changed the rule that incoming freshmen can go in the summer before school starts. It seems to me it’s a much brighter move and will not make the season any longer by going early in August, then giving the kids two to three weeks off.”

Staff opening: Self has an opening on his staff for director of basketball operations.

“I haven’t interviewed anybody, but I do plan on giving it some attention and hopefully get something done in the next couple weeks,” Self said. “I’ve got a guy or two in mind that I think would fit our needs and provide some things that would benefit our staff. It’s going to be a situation I’ll definitely hire somebody that I know.”

He said Brennan Bechard (assistant director of basketball operations) and Jeff Forbes (video coordinator) would return “in a similar capacity that they are at present.”

Recruiting: Milton Doyle, a 6-foot-4 senior guard from Chicago’s Marshall High, completed his campus visit to KU on Tuesday. He left town without a scholarship offer. His mom, Lisa, indicated the family would consider all options, including looking at other programs. He’s heard from Nebraska and Colorado State with several other schools calling her Monday after news leaked out of KU’s interest.

“All I know is he loves Kansas,” Lisa told the Journal-World, indicating he would have committed had he received an offer.

Why no offer to the unranked Doyle? KU will likely have no scholarship space if former South Carolina forward Damontre Harris chooses KU over Florida sometime this week. KU currently has 11 players on scholarship, not counting Justin Wesley, who received a scholarship last year because one was available.

A commitment from Harris, combined with an oral commitment from Anrio Adams, a 6-4 guard from Seattle who has not yet qualified, would put KU at the NCAA maximum 13 scholarships. It’s believed Adams will not sign a letter-of-intent today — the final day of the early signing period — as he and the Jayhawks await his test scores. One does not have to sign a letter to play college ball.

Self on SMU: Self spoke about former KU coach Larry Brown and former KU assistant Tim Jankovich taking over at SMU. Brown is head coach; Jankovich coach in waiting.

“I spoke to both today. I’m really happy for both,” Self said. “I think they’ll be a great tandem. I think they’ll have a lot of fun down there and I think they’ll win a lot of games.”

Noonball to return?: It’s believed former KU guard Terry Nooner will soon be named assistant coach on Bonnie Henrickson’s KU women’s staff. Nooner worked last season as an assistant at Southern Illinois. KU had no comment on the matter Tuesday.

Crowds: KU led the Big 12 in home attendance for the 26th straight season, according to the NCAA. The Jayhawks averaged 16,445 fans per game, a number boosted by one game at Sprint Center. The average ranked 10th nationally.

Comments

Scott Smetana 1 year, 11 months ago

Thank Goodness Self is back. I'm ready to put that "Off year" behind me.

Justin Diederich 1 year, 11 months ago

Anrio Adams just said on facebook he passed ACT with an 18. Will be at KU on June 28th!

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

"Some Reasons Big Men May Like to Go To Baylor"

~Like having a head coach with an image problem.

~Like avoiding m2m as long as they can.

~Like playing for a head coach that can win 55% of his games overall at Baylor.

~Like playing for a head coach that can win 38% of his conference games at Baylor.

~Like playing for a head coach that can go 12-6 in conference with draft choices.

~Like playing in Ferrell Center, because it feels like going from domesticated to wild.

~Like playing for a school that has never won a ring.

~Have low self-esteem and feel at home in Waco.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

lee3022 1 year, 11 months ago

A puzzling thought about Baylor. Scott Drew has recruited several top big men over the past few years. Yet they seem to get worse and not better as they play at Baylor. Of significant concern is the shying away from physical play. I was reading on Draft Express today (see http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Finding-a-Niche-For-Perry-Jones-3910/) and these statements popped out at me:

"Despite being projected as a likely top five pick, Perry Jones surprised many last April by electing to return to Baylor for his sophomore season, citing the need to "grow as a player and person," and “have fun” before leaving for the NBA.

"Unfortunately, Jones' follow-up season was fairly disappointing. His production dropped or stagnated in several key areas, and many were left to ponder whether he simply isn't a good fit at Baylor, or if he lacks the internal motivation and wherewithal needed to get the most out of his unbelievable natural tools."

Also this:

"With another full year to evaluate Jones, it doesn't appear that those questions are going anywhere. If anything, they've only gotten much louder.

"One thing that no one ever questions is Perry Jones' talent. Just how rare and unique a player he is becomes immediately evident the moment you start watching him. He has a tremendous combination of size, athleticism and skills, making him appear to be capable of doing anything he wants on the basketball court.

"What isn't quite as clear is why Jones struggles so much at times to make his presence felt over his college career, and why we didn't see more improvement from his freshman to sophomore seasons."

Jones regressed last year and struggled with his game. More from Draft Express:

"Unfortunately, his lack of experience and average feel for the game hampers him here somewhat. He often struggles to read the secondary line of defense rotating into the paint, as he's not a great passer on the move and isn't quite advanced enough with his ball-handling ability or off-hand to weave his way around defenders."

Here is the hammer toward Baylor:

"Defensively, Jones again has great potential, but is somewhat of a mixed bag when it comes to actual results. His tremendous size, length and phenomenal mobility should theoretically allow him to guard up to three positions in the NBA, but his poor fundamentals, awareness, intensity and toughness certainly put a damper on that, as does his occasional lack of focus.

"His team played a lot of zone the past two seasons, which will likely make the transition to playing man to man defense a little rougher initially considering his lack of experience."

So is Isaiah Austin watching this process? Is he still glad he committed early to Baylor? The amazing work that coach Self and his coaches have done with draft after draft selecting lottery players from Kansas should be noticed and appreciated by recruits. Signing with Baylor has not been good for Perry Jones.

phogphan2000 1 year, 11 months ago

Q.) If Harris and Finney-Smith both want to be Gators...what’s the chance that DG takes an academic scholarship (since that was the original plan)...and would BD take both of them? A.) Not likely. When I talked with Dillon Graham he told me he wouldn’t be taking an academic scholarship to UF when he had full basketball scholarships to Kansas, Louisville and other schools.

Read more: http://www.gatorcountry.com/basketball_recruiting/article/uf_hoops_recruiting_mailbag_5_11_12/14254#ixzz1v4NODQan

So that's promising anyway, I was under the impression the Gators only had 1 schollie left but it's hard enough to keep track of KU's options let alone another school's. So if UF really wants Finney-Smith and there's a good chance they are the front runners for him after finishing 2nd in his recruiting the 1st time, odds of KU landing Harris are that much better. Also some talk on there about their recruitment of Chris Walker which of course they feel good about being in his top3 and being a local kid.

BillSelf4Prez 1 year, 11 months ago

Ya i don't think Tyler is going to be treated like a regular college kid by his peers.

uprr_hawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I need some help because this is bugging me. The articles keep saying that there are only 2 schollies available if Wesley gives his up but I only count 10 schollies used (I think you can have 13). Either my math is wrong, I'm forgetting about someone, or you can only have 12 total scholorship players. Which is it?

1. Travis Releford
  2. Elijah Johnson
  3. Jeff Withey
  4. Kevin Young
  5. Naadir Tharpe
  6. Zach Peters
  7. Perry Ellis
  8. Ben McLemore
  9. Jamari Traylor
  10. Landen Lucas

BCRavenJHawkfan 1 year, 11 months ago

So KU (AFH) led the Big XII in attendance and was ranked as 10th nationally in attendance, so who were the other 9 that ranked better?

REHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Sarcasm, a joke, whatever; no one can discredit the energetic commitment of Kevin Young to Jayhawk hoops this past season. That player was a very vital part of a marvelous Kansas squad. I hope that he gleans some terrific experience playing for his mother's home country's national team this summer. He will accompany Withey as a pair of settling influeces on the many incoming bigs this next season.

69KUBBall 1 year, 11 months ago

As to the jross comment about Young. I believe that I have read several similar comments from the poorly informed about past and current players who some believe should have their schollies pulled and given to an incoming recruit. Most recently I think Withey's scholarship was discussed a couple of years ago in this fashion. KY has only one year under HCBS. Let's see what a second year does.... maybe a huge TRob type of improvement. Participating on the PR national team should really bring his game up.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 11 months ago

Interesting update on Milton Doyle from the KC Star -- Self tells Doyle to wait.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

6] My nephew is from my wife's side of the family...I'll be in Lawrence this weekend for my niece's graduation from Free State. She will be attending KU thus joining her older sister.........they are from MY side of the family!!! :)

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

Random Thoughts:

1] Too bad Danny left....we could have set an NCAA record for coaches and sons on the same team!! {Manning, Self, Roberts]

2] Any word on the progress of the permanent display of "The Rules"?

3] 40 game maximum season: 6 NCAA Games, 3 Big 12 Tourney games, 18 Big 12 league games, 13 non-league games......yep, 31 wins is definitely a possiblity.

4] Spent last Saturday trapped in Hearnes Center for four hours for my nephew's graduation among 8,000 Tiger students, alums and families....my skin is still crawling!!

5] My only moment of triumph was singing the Kansas Alma Mater under my breath while they sang their dumb-ass song!!

Robert Brock 1 year, 11 months ago

A well-rested Self should concentrate on recruiting the 2013 class. We still need some top-tier talent and there are a lot of options available. The good ones won't last long.

kujh1970 1 year, 11 months ago

Hey Phoghorn,you better wake up and smell the coffee. Nothing is going to change that much over in the little apple. It will be business as usual when it comes to KU's dominance over KSU in basketball.

Phoghorn 1 year, 11 months ago

Pretty sure we will get swept by KSU this year. KU loses to KSU in everything else, and now that KSU has a new coach, they will absolutely dominate us in Men's BB for decades.

Hey...who gave me Squawkhawk's talking points????

justinryman 1 year, 11 months ago

That picture is of Pride and accomplishment.

Coach is showing his fatherly pride.

Those three young men are showing they accomplished something great while at KU. Graduation. Conference Titles(x4). Camaraderie. Bootcamp (x4).

They will have all those memories and will be linked together throughout time in KU lore.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

bradynsdad 1 year, 11 months ago

Sounds as though self is waiting on Harris and anrio. I don't have a preference on the other two but Anrio is a must get. Even if he has to sit a year like mclmore that is ok. Am I the only one who finds it comforting and reassuring that Self loves it at KU? Jay Bilas was asked before the national title that if Self beats UK and wins the title would he be the best coach in the history at KU? Bilas said he couldn't argue against it. I have to agree. I am sure we would all love a few more deeper runs in our tourneys but what Self is doing is incredible. Call me a homer but it's hard not to love this ride he is taking us on. Fran Frischilla also said if Doc Rivers did not coach the 2016 Olympics that it should be Self. Pretty high praise.

VaJay 1 year, 11 months ago

+1 But make sure it has a caption to explain what it is!

Gil Ek 1 year, 11 months ago

Nice photo. Send a copy to Calipari...

Joe Ross 1 year, 11 months ago

Strip the 'ship from Kevin Young (he's terrrible--ala Charles Barkley), and give it to Doyle. Play smaller and faster this next year.

Robert Brown 1 year, 11 months ago

Coach Self has a good shot to get 300 wins at KU in ten years. He would need 31 wins next year. I'm not sure any coach has has a 10 year stretch averaging 30 wins per season.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 11 months ago

Refresh my memory, why is Teahan's tassel a different color in the photo than the others? And he has it hanging on a different side of his cap. Anyone?

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Agree with Bangkok - now that Wild Bill's all rested and refreshed, I hope he finally figures out how to recruit......

Maybe win a conference championship once in a while.

Possibly get to the NCAA Tournament - I know that's a stretch, but you have to B E L I E V E.

And we really need to work on getting that attendance level up. Tenth in the nation just doesn't cut it for me.

RCJH

ParisHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

A visit is to sell the school to the kid, not sell the kid to the coach.

If Doyle came, that means Self was already interested. If no offer was made, that means Self has higher hopes elsewhere, which is pretty good news.

I think Doyle is on the waiting list and may get an offer if a scholarship becomes available.

Note that "several other schools [called] Monday after news leaked out of KU’s interest." Even if Doyle never comes here, KU has helped his visibility.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Coach Self for his 10th season... Hopefully he actually accomplishes something for once! (Just a joke... Please don't hurt me)

phogphan2000 1 year, 11 months ago

Recruiting aside, biggest key to next season this article brings up is possibly the Eurotrip It will give the young guys a head start on their college careers, give the players a memorable team experience and hopefully give a guy like TRel the opportunity to just go for it offensively as well as Withey in the post. During the season every game is so important to the program, in these exhibition games losing doesn't cost us anything. Free minutes to develop the team and have players step outside of their comfort zones. EJ can spend time creating offense off the dribble, TRel and Withey can hoist more shots, it's a great opportunity. Plus nothing brings a team together like being surrounded by foreigners, just ask Georgetown about their little trip to China last year. So pumped to track down fresh KU basketball footage in August, how great is that?

ukanjhox 1 year, 11 months ago

On another note, anybody ever seen Tyler Self play? Is he any good? It'd be very interesting to have a Self and a Manning on the roster next year.

ukanjhox 1 year, 11 months ago

Via the article yesterday on Doyle:

“I would say that it’s his choice. Kansas has already offered a scholarship, but he wanted to go see the school and see how things are at Kansas,” she said. “Milton just wants to spend a little time at Kansas and see what it’s all about. Kansas will be his third official visit (besides FIU, Bradley), so he’s got two visits left. My guess is he’s going to be sold on Kansas, so I don’t think he’ll use his final two visits, but I don’t know for sure.”

Clearly, the mom was speaking out of turn in regards to the scholarship offer.