Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Vacation’s over: Self refreshed, ready for 10th season at KU

From left, KU basketball senior Jordan Juenemann, coach Bill Self, and players Tyshawn Taylor and Conner Teahan gather for a photograph before Sunday's KU commencement at Memorial Stadium.

Refreshed after last week’s golf excursion to Cabo San Lucas — and energized after watching three of his Kansas University basketball players graduate on Sunday — an upbeat Bill Self returned to work bright and early Monday.

“I love it here,” Self said Tuesday afternoon, acknowledging he’s eager for his 10th season as Jayhawk coach to officially begin with the start of summer school classes on June 5.

He’s not the only member of his family rather fond of KU.

Self on Tuesday was pleased to report that his youngest child, Tyler, will join daughter, Lauren, as a member of KU’s student body. Free State High graduate Lauren is a senior-to-be; fellow Firebird Tyler an incoming freshman.

“Tyler has made a decision to attend the University of Kansas. He’ll be coming to school here, following in his sister’s footsteps,” Self said with a smile.

Tyler, a starting guard on the FSHS basketball team, may yet join KU’s team as a walk-on.

“I’ve opened the door for him to do that, but he hasn’t made a decision yet if that’s what he wants to do or not,” Bill Self said. “I like the fact he would even consider it. At this point in time, he doesn’t know. He is going to be a Phi Delt. He wants to be a normal college kid. If he wants to come and walk on, he may have to adjust that a little bit. As of right now, he’s not decided to do that (play for KU).”

Some exciting news about the program was released last week while Self was on vacation. The Jayhawks will be headed to Switzerland and Paris for four exhibition games Aug. 6-14.

“We’ve elected to wait to go over Labor Day the last two times,” Self said of KU’s two past trips to Canada, “because that way incoming freshmen could go. They just changed the rule that incoming freshmen can go in the summer before school starts. It seems to me it’s a much brighter move and will not make the season any longer by going early in August, then giving the kids two to three weeks off.”

Staff opening: Self has an opening on his staff for director of basketball operations.

“I haven’t interviewed anybody, but I do plan on giving it some attention and hopefully get something done in the next couple weeks,” Self said. “I’ve got a guy or two in mind that I think would fit our needs and provide some things that would benefit our staff. It’s going to be a situation I’ll definitely hire somebody that I know.”

He said Brennan Bechard (assistant director of basketball operations) and Jeff Forbes (video coordinator) would return “in a similar capacity that they are at present.”

Recruiting: Milton Doyle, a 6-foot-4 senior guard from Chicago’s Marshall High, completed his campus visit to KU on Tuesday. He left town without a scholarship offer. His mom, Lisa, indicated the family would consider all options, including looking at other programs. He’s heard from Nebraska and Colorado State with several other schools calling her Monday after news leaked out of KU’s interest.

“All I know is he loves Kansas,” Lisa told the Journal-World, indicating he would have committed had he received an offer.

Why no offer to the unranked Doyle? KU will likely have no scholarship space if former South Carolina forward Damontre Harris chooses KU over Florida sometime this week. KU currently has 11 players on scholarship, not counting Justin Wesley, who received a scholarship last year because one was available.

A commitment from Harris, combined with an oral commitment from Anrio Adams, a 6-4 guard from Seattle who has not yet qualified, would put KU at the NCAA maximum 13 scholarships. It’s believed Adams will not sign a letter-of-intent today — the final day of the early signing period — as he and the Jayhawks await his test scores. One does not have to sign a letter to play college ball.

Self on SMU: Self spoke about former KU coach Larry Brown and former KU assistant Tim Jankovich taking over at SMU. Brown is head coach; Jankovich coach in waiting.

“I spoke to both today. I’m really happy for both,” Self said. “I think they’ll be a great tandem. I think they’ll have a lot of fun down there and I think they’ll win a lot of games.”

Noonball to return?: It’s believed former KU guard Terry Nooner will soon be named assistant coach on Bonnie Henrickson’s KU women’s staff. Nooner worked last season as an assistant at Southern Illinois. KU had no comment on the matter Tuesday.

Crowds: KU led the Big 12 in home attendance for the 26th straight season, according to the NCAA. The Jayhawks averaged 16,445 fans per game, a number boosted by one game at Sprint Center. The average ranked 10th nationally.

Comments

ukanjhox 2 years, 4 months ago

Via the article yesterday on Doyle:

“I would say that it’s his choice. Kansas has already offered a scholarship, but he wanted to go see the school and see how things are at Kansas,” she said. “Milton just wants to spend a little time at Kansas and see what it’s all about. Kansas will be his third official visit (besides FIU, Bradley), so he’s got two visits left. My guess is he’s going to be sold on Kansas, so I don’t think he’ll use his final two visits, but I don’t know for sure.”

Clearly, the mom was speaking out of turn in regards to the scholarship offer.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 4 months ago

Ya, most likely she just didn't realize or misspoke

Let's hope the lack of an offer is based on high hopes for Harris and Adams' test scores. That allows Doyle to take visits to UNL and CSU. I think it's understandable that KU wouldn't want to give away Adams' scholarship or pull the offer to Harris, but I'm sure Doyle is a little disappointed to not get an offer at this time. Definitely appreciate the desire Doyle has to play basketball at Kansas. Hopefully it works out well in the end for all parties. UNL is not a great place to play basketball but plays in the B1G, CSU has an ugly-as-sin court but had a good team last season. Nothing wrong with the MVC and Bradley either, he's in good shape going anywhere other than FIU.

Joel Hood 2 years, 4 months ago

Best of luck to Tyler Self as a KU student, but I've seen him play and he is a good high school player. I do not believe he would make the cut as a competitive walk-on at KU like Juenemann did.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 4 months ago

Recruiting aside, biggest key to next season this article brings up is possibly the Eurotrip It will give the young guys a head start on their college careers, give the players a memorable team experience and hopefully give a guy like TRel the opportunity to just go for it offensively as well as Withey in the post. During the season every game is so important to the program, in these exhibition games losing doesn't cost us anything. Free minutes to develop the team and have players step outside of their comfort zones. EJ can spend time creating offense off the dribble, TRel and Withey can hoist more shots, it's a great opportunity. Plus nothing brings a team together like being surrounded by foreigners, just ask Georgetown about their little trip to China last year. So pumped to track down fresh KU basketball footage in August, how great is that?

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Just ask the KU women's bball team. After their trip to Italy, they just had their best season in years!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Coach Self for his 10th season... Hopefully he actually accomplishes something for once! (Just a joke... Please don't hurt me)

ParisHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

A visit is to sell the school to the kid, not sell the kid to the coach.

If Doyle came, that means Self was already interested. If no offer was made, that means Self has higher hopes elsewhere, which is pretty good news.

I think Doyle is on the waiting list and may get an offer if a scholarship becomes available.

Note that "several other schools [called] Monday after news leaked out of KU’s interest." Even if Doyle never comes here, KU has helped his visibility.

april28 2 years, 4 months ago

My read on this is that Self essentially has no schollies to offer. He invited the kid in, explaining that he might have a scholarship if Adams doesn't qualify or the SC kid doesn't transfer.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 4 months ago

Harris IS transferring..it's where is the question.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Agree with Bangkok - now that Wild Bill's all rested and refreshed, I hope he finally figures out how to recruit......

Maybe win a conference championship once in a while.

Possibly get to the NCAA Tournament - I know that's a stretch, but you have to B E L I E V E.

And we really need to work on getting that attendance level up. Tenth in the nation just doesn't cut it for me.

RCJH

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 4 months ago

Really don't think he had much time to rest during the spring signing period. I doubt that being the head coach of a school such as Kansas leaves too much time for vacation.

I think it takes a hell of a lot of dedication and self-sacrifice for HCBS to do the job he's done so far as Kansas.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Pleeze tell me you know I'm being sarcastic?

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 4 months ago

C'mon...you weren't being serious?

I can be dumb at times but.. I was really commenting on the article's title line. This is one of the busiest times of the 'off-season'.

I've seen enough of your comments to know I usually agree w/you and to recognize your subtle and not so subtle sarcasm.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 4 months ago

Refresh my memory, why is Teahan's tassel a different color in the photo than the others? And he has it hanging on a different side of his cap. Anyone?

april28 2 years, 4 months ago

Each school has a different tassel color. Liberal Arts one color, Business another color, etc., etc.

We were at graduation for our nephew and saw Tyshawn walk down the hill. Needless to say, he was getting a lot of love from the onlookers. Congrats to him and his compadres!

FarSideHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

April28 is correct regarding the tassle color.

As for which side it's hanging, it's supposed to be on one side before the graduation ceremony and then switched over after you've graduated (can't remember which sides, though).

Perhaps Conner (or the other two) forgot to switch the sides.

Sam Brockert 2 years, 4 months ago

The moving the tassel thing also only depends on the school. When I graduated from college I asked one of the coordinators if we were suppose to move them over at a certain time and she said "No, you are not in high school anymore"...

Robert Brown 2 years, 4 months ago

Coach Self has a good shot to get 300 wins at KU in ten years. He would need 31 wins next year. I'm not sure any coach has has a 10 year stretch averaging 30 wins per season.

april28 2 years, 4 months ago

That's the first time I've read that. 31 wins would virtually guarantee that he won his ninth straight conference and went deep into the tournament. What a tremendous accomplishment it would be!

lee3022 2 years, 4 months ago

This ^^^ but with "would be" changed to "will be"!

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 4 months ago

It would be unprecedented. Rarely did most teams play 30 games in the not so long ago past. Topping it off with a National Championship would be the perfect cherry on top.

SaltLakeHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm calling it now. Next year's team goes undefeated.

40 - 0

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 4 months ago

Okay...I copied your post and date.

Could we play 40 games even if we won them all?

Joe Ross 2 years, 4 months ago

Strip the 'ship from Kevin Young (he's terrrible--ala Charles Barkley), and give it to Doyle. Play smaller and faster this next year.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I really hope that was a bad joke. Remove a recruited players scholarship (extremely unethical) and give it to a player that is not even ranked?

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

Kidding right? I'd rather have Young than that kid from South Carolina anyway. If we are gonna yank schollies start with the guy who hasn't committed yet, and can't make up his mind. Then give it to the kid who says KU is his dream school.

It's probably all for not though. I've got that sick feeling coming on. Anrio Adams' grades are taking too long, and we know this road too well.

Andy Hess 2 years, 4 months ago

It's his ACT scores, not grades! His grades are fine and he just took the test a few weeks ago.

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

Thank you officer swishy, but you know what I meant, and I don't care if he took them a week ago, if he doesn't get the "scores" at the first possible date (which has passed) I get suspicious. I realize it can take up to 8 weeks, but for KU lately, everyday waiting for eligibility is an eternity.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 4 months ago

KYo might be your new starting PF, which would be KU playing small and fast, and he just helped a team make the National Title game where he had at least 1 clean block on Anthony Davis

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 4 months ago

jross1972, are you from Missouri ?

Gil Ek 2 years, 4 months ago

Nice photo. Send a copy to Calipari...

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 4 months ago

With a cutline to explain what those robes and cap represent. . . actually, they did have a senior this year, and I believe he graduated. Why I would assume this, I have no idea.

RJ King 2 years, 4 months ago

+1 And some headlines we'll never read:

Returning Seniors Expected to Lead Wildcats..

Local Florists Stock up for Senior Night in Rupp Arena.

Calipari Receives Technical for Six on the Court at Start of Senior Night Game.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 4 months ago

If you were talking about another Wildcat team, you could add:

Top freshman class to lead Wildcats.

Bruce Weber is AP Big 12 Coach Of the Year.

VaJay 2 years, 4 months ago

+1 But make sure it has a caption to explain what it is!

bradynsdad 2 years, 4 months ago

Sounds as though self is waiting on Harris and anrio. I don't have a preference on the other two but Anrio is a must get. Even if he has to sit a year like mclmore that is ok. Am I the only one who finds it comforting and reassuring that Self loves it at KU? Jay Bilas was asked before the national title that if Self beats UK and wins the title would he be the best coach in the history at KU? Bilas said he couldn't argue against it. I have to agree. I am sure we would all love a few more deeper runs in our tourneys but what Self is doing is incredible. Call me a homer but it's hard not to love this ride he is taking us on. Fran Frischilla also said if Doc Rivers did not coach the 2016 Olympics that it should be Self. Pretty high praise.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 4 months ago

That would be great exposure for Self and KU if he got the gig in 2016, would surprise me though. Pretty impossible to unseat Phog Allen as the greatest KU coach, no matter how many titles Self might win. Maybe I'm a homer, but considering Phog basically built and preserved the game itself, not to mention the tournament and won 3 national titles, he stays #1 above all other coaches in my book, at KU and elsewhere.

lee3022 2 years, 4 months ago

National coach has mostly risk and little reward. If they win it is the players. If they lose it it the coach. Plus the program takes away from KU.

justinryman 2 years, 4 months ago

That picture is of Pride and accomplishment.

Coach is showing his fatherly pride.

Those three young men are showing they accomplished something great while at KU. Graduation. Conference Titles(x4). Camaraderie. Bootcamp (x4).

They will have all those memories and will be linked together throughout time in KU lore.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

bville_hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I think Teahan went thru at least 5 bootcamps (probably seems like more to him!).

SaltLakeHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

teahan has 5 conference championship rings, and he went to 2 national championships, winning one.

that's really impressive

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

Pretty sure we will get swept by KSU this year. KU loses to KSU in everything else, and now that KSU has a new coach, they will absolutely dominate us in Men's BB for decades.

Hey...who gave me Squawkhawk's talking points????

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

Just a little sarcasm and a jab at Squawkhawk...

RJ King 2 years, 4 months ago

Ya. I get the sarcasm. Sadly, I wish it were more true. I would love to see KSU become more competive, not less. I hope Weber can attract some good recruits. Not at our expense, but good ones that weren't among our top targets.

Based on talent, Texas should be good next year. Baylor, Iowa State, possibly West Virginia, maybe Okie State??? I want our league top to bottom to be stronger than any other league. I dislike Mizzou, but how cool was it last year with 3 BigX's in the Top 10?

KU benefits overall if KSU steps it up.

Michael Auchard 2 years, 4 months ago

Your mascot is just a head. It's the laughingstock of America.

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

Next time, I will give a five second warning before I post sarcasm...

I really had no idea that one little post making fun of Squawkhawk would derail the whole thread...

dylans 2 years, 4 months ago

You didn't use the sarcasm font. Very necessary on this site. Many people are way too literal.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 4 months ago

Actually a pretty funny post,,,even if partly true. Time to take football back.

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

Yes, I am saddened that KU has struggled against KSU in recent years at prettymuch everything except Men's BB.

kujh1970 2 years, 4 months ago

Hey Phoghorn,you better wake up and smell the coffee. Nothing is going to change that much over in the little apple. It will be business as usual when it comes to KU's dominance over KSU in basketball.

2 years, 4 months ago

Fairly certain Phoghorn was kidding. His last line confirms it, mentioning noted K-State troll Squawkhawk.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

Sarcasm is becoming a lost art.

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

Yes, Oakville, Sarcasm is a lost art. I think it must be because so many students flunk out of Sarcasm 101 and they end up switching to easier majors.

lee3022 2 years, 4 months ago

What is funny is this is the third sarcasm post that has been misconstrued today!

Robert Brock 2 years, 4 months ago

A well-rested Self should concentrate on recruiting the 2013 class. We still need some top-tier talent and there are a lot of options available. The good ones won't last long.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 4 months ago

That or they'll last until next May like Anthony Bennett.

Robert Brock 2 years, 4 months ago

I would like to believe that The University of Kansas was capable of getting a Fall commitment from Julius Randle or Chris Walker and stop settling for "fillers" and practice players.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 4 months ago

Uh-huh, in another year a roster of Tharpe, Adams, Frankamp, BMac, White, Greene, Ellis, Traylor, Lucas, Peters and possibly Harris looks just awful

It really stinks when out of those 11 guys only 8 are 4 star or above, so tired of all these "practice fillers"

Robert Brock 2 years, 4 months ago

I take it that you never watch AAU hoops. I'm wondering who will be doing the rebounding after this coming season. It's not going to be Ellis, Lucas, or Peters.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Brock,

School me on your point about Ellis, Lucas and Peters regarding rebounding. Are they weak rebounders?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

Random Thoughts:

1] Too bad Danny left....we could have set an NCAA record for coaches and sons on the same team!! {Manning, Self, Roberts]

2] Any word on the progress of the permanent display of "The Rules"?

3] 40 game maximum season: 6 NCAA Games, 3 Big 12 Tourney games, 18 Big 12 league games, 13 non-league games......yep, 31 wins is definitely a possiblity.

4] Spent last Saturday trapped in Hearnes Center for four hours for my nephew's graduation among 8,000 Tiger students, alums and families....my skin is still crawling!!

5] My only moment of triumph was singing the Kansas Alma Mater under my breath while they sang their dumb-ass song!!

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 4 months ago

My deepest sympathy on your unfortunate recent trip into hell. You're a better uncle than I would have been!

RJ King 2 years, 4 months ago

I hope at least you were rockin' some blue and red boxers.

Chris1955 2 years, 4 months ago

Did you have to check for fleas and ticks after attending the graduation?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

6] My nephew is from my wife's side of the family...I'll be in Lawrence this weekend for my niece's graduation from Free State. She will be attending KU thus joining her older sister.........they are from MY side of the family!!! :)

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 4 months ago

Now I know why you HAD to go there, it's a "wife thing"! Now, she owes you big time!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 4 months ago

Interesting update on Milton Doyle from the KC Star -- Self tells Doyle to wait.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

HEM,

This is very hush, hush, so keep it between you and me. Self plans to hire Milton Doyle as the new Director of Basketball Operations.

:-)

69KUBBall 2 years, 4 months ago

As to the jross comment about Young. I believe that I have read several similar comments from the poorly informed about past and current players who some believe should have their schollies pulled and given to an incoming recruit. Most recently I think Withey's scholarship was discussed a couple of years ago in this fashion. KY has only one year under HCBS. Let's see what a second year does.... maybe a huge TRob type of improvement. Participating on the PR national team should really bring his game up.

REHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Sarcasm, a joke, whatever; no one can discredit the energetic commitment of Kevin Young to Jayhawk hoops this past season. That player was a very vital part of a marvelous Kansas squad. I hope that he gleans some terrific experience playing for his mother's home country's national team this summer. He will accompany Withey as a pair of settling influeces on the many incoming bigs this next season.

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

Young was a fun player to watch this year. He improved a lot as the season wore on. I am looking forward to his contributions next year. Hard to say if his playing time will increase or not with all of the talent (hopefully) coming in.

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 4 months ago

So KU (AFH) led the Big XII in attendance and was ranked as 10th nationally in attendance, so who were the other 9 that ranked better?

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 4 months ago

This is an old list of arenas with largest capacity where KU was 29th, I know for sure the Qwest/CenturyLink Arena for Creighton is above KU now as well, taking out the pro courts that get used here would put AFH around #25 and might be lower if some other bigger arenas have been built.

uprr_hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I need some help because this is bugging me. The articles keep saying that there are only 2 schollies available if Wesley gives his up but I only count 10 schollies used (I think you can have 13). Either my math is wrong, I'm forgetting about someone, or you can only have 12 total scholorship players. Which is it?

1. Travis Releford
  2. Elijah Johnson
  3. Jeff Withey
  4. Kevin Young
  5. Naadir Tharpe
  6. Zach Peters
  7. Perry Ellis
  8. Ben McLemore
  9. Jamari Traylor
  10. Landen Lucas

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 4 months ago

You forgot Andrew White, I don't know if you've heard of him but he's kind of a big deal :P just kidding, but he does look like he has a ridiculously smooth shooting stroke I was watching a highlight with him and NC St. commit Purvis and didn't know which was which but knew Purvis scored big at the all-star games so I thought he had this fantastic shooting motion, then I realized, hey, that's Andrew White and thought heck ya, I was jealous of NC St but this guy is a Jayhawk. Then towards the end of the video Purvis soared and threw down something just nasty, so I was still a little jealous of NC St.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 4 months ago

No need to worry... Andrew White will accomplish big things here at Kansas although Purvis is pretty damn good himself.

dylans 2 years, 4 months ago

And Anario Adams if he qualifies leaving one open scholarship.

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 4 months ago

Ya i don't think Tyler is going to be treated like a regular college kid by his peers.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 4 months ago

Q.) If Harris and Finney-Smith both want to be Gators...what’s the chance that DG takes an academic scholarship (since that was the original plan)...and would BD take both of them? A.) Not likely. When I talked with Dillon Graham he told me he wouldn’t be taking an academic scholarship to UF when he had full basketball scholarships to Kansas, Louisville and other schools.

Read more: http://www.gatorcountry.com/basketball_recruiting/article/uf_hoops_recruiting_mailbag_5_11_12/14254#ixzz1v4NODQan

So that's promising anyway, I was under the impression the Gators only had 1 schollie left but it's hard enough to keep track of KU's options let alone another school's. So if UF really wants Finney-Smith and there's a good chance they are the front runners for him after finishing 2nd in his recruiting the 1st time, odds of KU landing Harris are that much better. Also some talk on there about their recruitment of Chris Walker which of course they feel good about being in his top3 and being a local kid.

lee3022 2 years, 4 months ago

A puzzling thought about Baylor. Scott Drew has recruited several top big men over the past few years. Yet they seem to get worse and not better as they play at Baylor. Of significant concern is the shying away from physical play. I was reading on Draft Express today (see http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Finding-a-Niche-For-Perry-Jones-3910/) and these statements popped out at me:

"Despite being projected as a likely top five pick, Perry Jones surprised many last April by electing to return to Baylor for his sophomore season, citing the need to "grow as a player and person," and “have fun” before leaving for the NBA.

"Unfortunately, Jones' follow-up season was fairly disappointing. His production dropped or stagnated in several key areas, and many were left to ponder whether he simply isn't a good fit at Baylor, or if he lacks the internal motivation and wherewithal needed to get the most out of his unbelievable natural tools."

Also this:

"With another full year to evaluate Jones, it doesn't appear that those questions are going anywhere. If anything, they've only gotten much louder.

"One thing that no one ever questions is Perry Jones' talent. Just how rare and unique a player he is becomes immediately evident the moment you start watching him. He has a tremendous combination of size, athleticism and skills, making him appear to be capable of doing anything he wants on the basketball court.

"What isn't quite as clear is why Jones struggles so much at times to make his presence felt over his college career, and why we didn't see more improvement from his freshman to sophomore seasons."

Jones regressed last year and struggled with his game. More from Draft Express:

"Unfortunately, his lack of experience and average feel for the game hampers him here somewhat. He often struggles to read the secondary line of defense rotating into the paint, as he's not a great passer on the move and isn't quite advanced enough with his ball-handling ability or off-hand to weave his way around defenders."

Here is the hammer toward Baylor:

"Defensively, Jones again has great potential, but is somewhat of a mixed bag when it comes to actual results. His tremendous size, length and phenomenal mobility should theoretically allow him to guard up to three positions in the NBA, but his poor fundamentals, awareness, intensity and toughness certainly put a damper on that, as does his occasional lack of focus.

"His team played a lot of zone the past two seasons, which will likely make the transition to playing man to man defense a little rougher initially considering his lack of experience."

So is Isaiah Austin watching this process? Is he still glad he committed early to Baylor? The amazing work that coach Self and his coaches have done with draft after draft selecting lottery players from Kansas should be noticed and appreciated by recruits. Signing with Baylor has not been good for Perry Jones.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

"Some Reasons Big Men May Like to Go To Baylor"

~Like having a head coach with an image problem.

~Like avoiding m2m as long as they can.

~Like playing for a head coach that can win 55% of his games overall at Baylor.

~Like playing for a head coach that can win 38% of his conference games at Baylor.

~Like playing for a head coach that can go 12-6 in conference with draft choices.

~Like playing in Ferrell Center, because it feels like going from domesticated to wild.

~Like playing for a school that has never won a ring.

~Have low self-esteem and feel at home in Waco.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Justin Diederich 2 years, 4 months ago

Anrio Adams just said on facebook he passed ACT with an 18. Will be at KU on June 28th!

lee3022 2 years, 4 months ago

Nice to hear! So 18 is a passing score for being fully qualified?

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 4 months ago

That's awesome news, Welcome to KU Rio!

Still unclear if that means Doyle will definitely not receive an offer or if there's still a chance the staff will want to bring him in if Harris heads to UF.

What a great year to be a KU freshman, come right in and head to Europe.

Alohahawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Did the entire Jayhawk Nation just let out a big sigh of relief? Right as I was reading justinump20's post above the wind picked up and the tradewinds are blowing briskly to windward. (Sort of like, in the movie,"Hawaii", where the winds blew the church roof off when the queen died.)

Whatevers, congratulartions to Anrio, and welcome aboard. I'm one of those believers in Coach Self's abilities to find the hidden gems while recruiting. And I think a lot of non-believers are going to find these so-called lower ranked players are going to surpass their expectations. And who knows? If Harris doesn't pick KU, perhaps Self will offer to Doyle.

Scott Smetana 2 years, 4 months ago

Thank Goodness Self is back. I'm ready to put that "Off year" behind me.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 4 months ago

He now has a new reason to look forward to next year. He will beat Bruce Webber twice while adding to the domination of the KU-KSU "rivalry?" And, he doesn't have to go to Columbia!