Sunday, May 13, 2012

Keegan

FSU would benefit Big 12

The thought of Florida State and all its fine football tradition joining the Big 12 took on a realistic feel Saturday when the school’s chairman of the Board of Trustees wound up and socked the ACC in the nose.

Andy Haggard, displeased with the way the new TV contract is structured, let the conference have it in an exclusive interview with Warchant.com.

The source of the chairman’s discontent: The ACC surrendered third-tier rights for football to ESPN/ABC, but did not do so for basketball, much to the delight of perennial basketball powerhouses Duke and North Carolina.

“It continues the perception that the ACC favors the North Carolina schools,” Haggard railed to Warchant.com. “... It’s mind-boggling and shocking. How can the ACC give up third-tier rights for football, but keep them for basketball?”

Haggard said in the interview he is unaware of any contact between Florida State and the Big 12, but would like that to happen.

“How do you not look into that option?” Haggard said. “On behalf of the Board of Trustees, I can say that unanimously we would be in favor of seeing what the Big 12 might have to offer. We have to do what is in Florida State’s best interest.”

Haggard also put dynamite to the notion that the high academic standing of the ACC makes it too attractive to leave.

“No FSU graduate puts on his resume or interviews for a job saying they are in the same conference as Duke and Virginia,” Haggard said. “Conference affiliation has no impact on academics.”

Many disagree with that, especially university presidents, the very group that started logical conference affiliation on the road to ruin when it took over college sports nearly a quarter-century ago, instead of leaving it in the hands of the experts, the athletic directors.

Bystanders consider Clemson a logical choice to join the Seminoles in fleeing to the Big 12. Louisville has been mentioned often as a Big 12 candidate.

Meanwhile, Rutgers flies beneath the radar, a stealth candidate for Big 12 expansion, one that doesn’t have anywhere near the sex appeal of a Florida State, but does have more appealing attributes than many might think. If the New York area ever tunes into a football program for a sustained period, Rutgers will be that school.

Academically, Rutgers, the state university of New Jersey, has an excellent reputation, which as Haggard said can be a little overrated. Nobody checks the U.S. News and World Reports college rankings before deciding whether to watch a football game.

A Rutgers-Louisville expansion combination makes some sense, but it doesn’t make the conference stronger in the same way as adding Florida Sate, a football juggernaut from a fertile recruiting state. If the Big 12 is lucky, the steam Haggard blew off will turn into action.

Comments

JHWKDW 1 year, 11 months ago

Where Is Zenger on all of this?

LogicMan 1 year, 11 months ago

Anyone know if the U of L has or is building up funds for a WVU-like buyout from the Big East? Being able to start Big 12 play sooner, instead of later, should improve their chances of getting the call if any of the bigger name schools drag their heels.

If they do have the money banked, they need to publicly announce it posthaste.

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 11 months ago

Rutgers, no, but Princeton I'd take. Seriously the timing is awful but opportunity presents itself. I don't think that expansion is necessary but on the other hand like a few have said it is either we be the hunted or the prey. As long as this agenda is being pushed we may have no choice. I like FSU, Clemson and GaTech. Not sure about Miami. I think Louisville or of course ND if possible.

manginorh00lz 1 year, 11 months ago

Rutgers is fool's gold. No one in the New York market actually cares about that school.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 1 year, 11 months ago

I HATE HATE HATE realignment and the destruction of traditional/geographic rivalries and the old Big 12....

....that being said. It's eat or be eaten now. Let's go get some good teams and forestall future calamity.

Nobody wants to be the next Big East....

402nate 1 year, 11 months ago

I still say the following set-up is possible, not necessarily probable, but possible, by 2015. (I added L'ville and Miami in lieu of VT and NCST). I can't see any new addition on this list being unlikely, other than Notre Dame. (see my post above on how to best go about attaining ND as an addition to the big 12).

Big XVI Central (aka the Big 8 pod):

Kansas Kansas St. Oklahoma Oklahoma St.

Big XVI West (aka the SWC pod):

Texas Texas Tech Baylor Texas Chrisitan

Big XVI South (aka the ACC pod):

Miami Clemson Georgia Tech Florida St.

Big XVI North (aka the Big East pod):

Notre Dame West Virginia Louisville Iowa St.

BPSkelly 1 year, 11 months ago

I dont. Why? Because by the Big 12's "granting of media rights" for the next THIRTEEN YEARS it has at least assured itself of it being around that long. If im correct, only the Big 10 has such a clause (its for 20-25 thanks to the Big 10 network).

The ACC doesnt have this and clearly people in FSU country are peeved with the new deal its signed off on. I dont even think this means the Big 12 is 'getting' FSU, but its clear that either the ACC is going to pony up some way, some how or FSU is going to be looking elsewhere.

The media rights granting (13years), the dollars per year (20mil - the highest baseline including the SEC currently (which will pass us on their next go around with CBS)), the escalator clauses (1.5mil - 2.5mil for each team per year if other teams are added) and Bowlsby's "electronic footprint" comments tell me that the FSU to Big 12 rumors will not die over the next few weeks.

Again, not saying they're coming here. I just think odds are good they'll be some movement a foot here once the new BCS / 4 team playoff stuff gets squared away. At least temporarily. Then the insanity begins!!!

Jim Jackson 1 year, 11 months ago

Can the ACC stll restructure their contract to help keep FSU or is it already in place? Does anyone know? Maybe FSU is just trying to leverage their position?

jgkojak 1 year, 11 months ago

For those of you questioning FSU - do you remember how it felt when it looked like the B12 was going and KS may end up in the Big ? And how much better off we are today?

Like it or not- the B12 needs to get to 12 or 14, and needs to have among that number one more powerhouse -- that would be either Notre Dame (not happening) or FSU --

FSU simply guarantees that the B12 is conf #4 and the ACC is conf #5. Period.

I am guessing that VA TCH and NCST end up in the SEC, that MD and VA end up in the Big 10 and that we get FSU, Clemson, then Louisville and either Pitt, Ga Tech or Miami.

mikehawk 1 year, 11 months ago

More and more it looks like geographic, historical, and cultural considerations may not matter. I still think the four, sixteen conference pattern has legs in the minds of the AD's and big donors, and this maintains musical chairs as the name of the game. At least for now, and for a change, if our ten schools will hang together, then no one hangs separately. The gravitas of Texas and Oklahoma (and the alleged new lucrative contract) in football begins to create a magnate to attract other schools, thus potentially growing the Big 12 rather than creating its demise. I hate the whole process, but if it has to happen, I would rather be in the game from a postion of strength, than from one of weakness we all know too well. The wildcard, as usual, is Texas. Will they only operate from a what's best for them, or will they maintain the "let's do what is best for the conference?" Here we go again. We'll know soon. I guess summer is so boring waiting for football, there is nothing left to do but play "I'm leaving my marriage for the hottie in the next town."

baldwinjhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Remember, any school that wants to join the big XII has to approach us. If not then we are in legal trouble. That's why it was so important for Haggard who is Chairman of the board of trustees to say that Florida State would of course be exploring what the big XII has to offer. He is a guy that can make that call!

ar_jhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

This wouldn't be the first attempt at a 16 team pod set up. The WAC did it when they expanded to 16 years ago. They only tried it for a year or two and I don't think the scheduling was the problem when they broke back into two conferences (Mountain West and WAC).

402nate 1 year, 11 months ago

I also forgot to mention that with this pod set up, basketball scheduling would be ideal as well. (an important point for us forgotten basketball fans out there) Home-and-home could be played within pods (6 games), in addition to round robin against all remaining teams (12), for an 18 game schedule. Nice, eh?

The television contract a Big 16 consisting of the aforementioned teams could command would be ridiculous. Plus, recruiting would be like shooting fish in a barrel (Texas, Florida, and the deep south...geepers!)

You could definitely make the case for L'ville and Miami. But Va Tech has got to be at the top of everyone's list, outside of ND and FSU. Of the four teams you mentioned, I'd rank 'em as follows:

1. VaTech
  2. Miami 3a. NC State 3b. L'Ville

BPSkelly 1 year, 11 months ago

I like the idea 402. Id mention that I dont think ANY rejection will take place simply because there will be NO offer unless the answer to the question will be 'yes'. All this is going to be done by back channel stuff and will only trickle into light after the press conference is set up.

My 16 replaces Louisville with VaTech and Miami for NCState... but otherwise I think your on to something. I do believe the building blocks to "move up" are being set now.

402nate 1 year, 11 months ago

Here's the deal. You don't go from "shaky conference" status to "predator conference" status in the blink of an eye. The worst thing the big 12 can do right now is overplay their hand and get rejected by Notre Dame. This would set the Big 12 back tremendously, and create a perception of instability that would haunt them over the next 5 years in their attempt to solidify their conference. The key is to parlay the forward momentum we've received with the TCU/WVU/Bowlsby/ESPN into more momentum with a couple of "gettable" teams that are nice brand names, and who create EVEN MORE momentum for the conference. At some point, Notre Dame will feel the pressure to join or be left out forever, and that's when you strike! If I were Bowlsby, I would employ the following strategy:

2012: Invitations are sent to FSU/Clemson. Both will likely say yes, and the timing is perfect, given these programs displeasure with the ACC and the financial concerns of FSU. Now you have a power conference that rivals the SEC. The Big 12 has a 6 team Northern Division (OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, WVU) and a 6 team Southern division (TX, TT, TCU, BAY, FSU, CU)

2013: Invitations are sent to Ga Tech/Va Tech. The Big 12 will be tempted to stay at 12, with such a solid core group of teams. But the time to strike is now, as momentum is a fleeting thing. This move will solidify the eastern seaboard and provide FSU, Clemson, and WVU with travel partners. The Big 12 is officially the Big 14 now, with VT joining the North, and GT joining the south.

1. The final masterstroke. Invitations are sent to Notre Dame/NC State. This genius act will complete the creation of the first 16-team power conference with an unbelievable footprint, football history, power, and prestige. ND will brige the ISU-WVU gap, and NC State bridge the Clemson-VT gap.

The Big 16 remains innovative and aggressive, becoming the first conference to switch to pods. This makes a 9-game football schedule a cinch. Round Robin will be played within each pod (3 games), plus each team will play 2 rotating games in the remaining 3 pods (6 games). This will set up the Big 16 Final Four on home sites, with the championship in Dallas. Prediction: All other conferences will follow this model in due time, essentially creating a 16-team national playoff. (4 playoff games within conference, then the "plus one" on a national stage). The Big 16 would look like this:

CENTRAL (aka the Big 8 pod):

Kansas Kansas St. Oklahoma Oklahoma St.

SOUTHWEST (aka the SWC pod):

Texas Texas Tech Baylor TCU

SOUTH (aka the ACC pod):

NC State Clemson Georgia Tech Florida St.

NORTH (aka the leftovers pod):

Notre Dame West Virginia Virginia Tech Iowa St.

Get 'er done Bowlsby. The clock is ticking...

BPSkelly 1 year, 11 months ago

I personally think we're going to 16. Or at least the building blocks to go to 16 are going to be made here. Otherwise, my guess is they'll stick to 10 unless they feel they can 'bridge' to something bigger and better.

Remember folks, we were going to end up in the Mountain West and now we're going to end up in likely the 2nd strongest (revenue-wise) conference for at least the next 13 years. And my guess is IF we had some of these other big fish -- both the $$$ and years tacked on to the back end will be there.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 11 months ago

Best case scenario (in my opinion):

North

KU KSU OSU WVU Louisville Iowa St

South

OU Texas Tech TCU FSU Baylor

In my opinion, this scenario would fit best for basketball and football. It would open up additional recruiting opportunities for football, and add a couple big time basketball programs to the mix. Clemson just hasn't been consistent in basketball for football lately, so I don't see the benefit. I'd rather have Louisville, who can add some more talent and beef to the big 12. Just my thoughts, yall!

Robert Brown 1 year, 11 months ago

If this and the new BCS rules are the precursor to FOUR 16 team superconferences as has been predicted for sometime, it looks like the Big 12 will make the cut as one of the Big Four. That was not apparent just a year ago.

Krohnutz 1 year, 11 months ago

First, I would love to see the All Carolina Conference's favoritism finally bite them in the ass.

And for you folks that may not want Florida State in your conference...

I offer exhibit A:

First, the obvious three hotties (Jenn Sterger in the center), but read the shirt on the guy to their left. The double D's on the screen made the FCC forget to censor for awhile.

Krohnutz 1 year, 11 months ago

Has there been any public response to this interview from the ACC?

Something that obvious in building rhetoric for leaving from a person in his position I would think the ACC would at least move.

Casey Gee 1 year, 11 months ago

Now I want to know what Virginia Tech is thinking. They can't just sit back and watch their conference die without taking some action. Do you think they might come into play as the rumors escalate.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 11 months ago

Cowboys and Indians!

What a natural, the mascots and themes of schools like Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Florida State would be perfect. Who cares about the competetion within each sport?

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 11 months ago

I have never been a Keegan fan. It's not that I don't like him personally, but his style drives me crazy. But I've noticed over the last couple years that he does seem to get a few things right. I'm sure he gets a number of things wrong, too, but I notice the things he gets right because it solicits the "DAMMIT! Keegan got that right" response from me. So when I saw this headline, I couldn't help but to think "Holy crap, I'm gonna have to roadie to Tallahassee!"

Chris1955 1 year, 11 months ago

Conference Realignment Infinity……“Follow the ultimate money!” Part 2

Now enters the sizzle of marketing into the picture. After 1 team is left standing representing each of the 8 conferences, the names of the universities are put into a fish bowl, and the President of the NCAA holds a selection Sunday night. The NCAA President draws the teams at random and the next round of playoff game opponents is created. This is repeated when the final four teams are left standing. The Championship game is played in early January before the 2nd semester begins.

Now, here’s where things potentially get crazy. The university at the bottom of each conference loses its spot in the conference for the next season and a replacement university from a non-BCS conference is slated to replace it. This happens each year. The replacement universities are placed in the closest conference from a geographical split perspective.

This accomplished several things. It forces teams to take their football program seriously. It provides a mechanism which permits conferences from being saddled with the perennial dog crap football teams (i.e. Duke, Indiana, Syracuse, Washington State, etc.). It also allows hope for those fringe teams of getting into a BCS conference.

In summary, TV revenue gets crazy hence the “ultimate money” claim.

Chris1955 1 year, 11 months ago

Conference Realignment Infinity……“Follow the ultimate money!” Part 1

I’m going to offer for your review, what I see as the final future of College Football realignment. This may 20 years or more in the future, who knows? Better strap on your safety glasses, you’ll need them by the time you’re finished.

What are the absolutes that we know to be true in this entire on-going, ever churning fiasco? MONEY! Specifically, TV money! What else do we know? The NCAA is a monopoly. What does this lead to? It leads to both parties figuring out how to split the pie. What else do we know? The NCAA March Madness tournament is wildly popular and very lucrative. It is so lucrative that there are now 4 four TV networks involved, instead of the helter-skelter old format where CBS jumped around from game to game.

How many major conferences? How many teams per conference? Which teams participate in which conferences?

Where is he going with this? Here where I think this will ultimately end. Let’s start with numbers of participants. There has been speculation as to how many universities get to be in the BCS conferences, 64 or 80, or some other number. I’ll choose 80; however, 64 would work as well. Let’s say that the NCAA will dictate the number of teams that each conference would be allowed to have. With 80 teams, you could have 8 conferences of 10 universities; or, 10 conferences of 8 universities. I’ll go with the 8 conferences of 10 schools. Assuming that the regular college football season remains a 12 game season, you would play 9 in-conference games, with 3 non-conference games. You can keep the names of existing conferences, or create new ones, or use letter designations like world cup soccer (Group A, etc.). Let’s also assume that there will be a Division I college football playoff system (Thank God!).

Now, the first and second place finishers of each of the 8 conferences qualify for a playoff spot. Each of the 8 conferences would have a partner, or alliance partner conference. One of the non-conference games would have to be played with a team of the alliance partner conference. The playoffs would begin with the number 1 team of the allied conferences playing the number 2 team of its alliance conference partner. The alliance conference partners would change every two years. For example, Conference A has conference B as their alliance conference for 2 years. Then A has conference C for two years. Think of how the NFL treats the inter-conference games each year, except in this case there is a two year marriage.

rob4lb 1 year, 11 months ago

Interesting development. I cannot see expansion unless it is a 'big boy' like Florida State. Louisville adds nothing and would dilute the package. Florida State is a game changer. Add another school and the conference has a nice footprint on the east coast.

Bonefied 1 year, 11 months ago

all i know is with the right additions the big twelve could become hands down the best conference in revenue sports. for a conference i feel is a close second to the sec in football could strengthen in both football and basketball and corner the whole market. try adding Louisville with its rich basketball tradition and a football program on the rise, Cincy and they basketball tradition and just made a bcs appearance, take fla st(sorry but big12 can pay more than acc) and there rich football tradition, and notre dame and open them up to the texas recruits with they rich football tradition, oh and trust they will be looking for a home comer 2014 or sooner if they are smart, and the big12 becomes the strongest conference hands down

John Mueller 1 year, 11 months ago

Dear Maxwell smart, Mizzou IS in the SEC.

Intelligent design left the building about an hour ago.

If you run fast you can still see the Big 8 logo on Sat game of the week with Jay Randolph and Gary greasy hair from Iowa st.

John Mueller 1 year, 11 months ago

Tydon must have gotten a dear John letter, err txt, last night.....

Damn, son put down the java.

But, anyway, I agree that FSU is much more attractive than Lville.

I mean, it's not even close.

Great football tradition, brings some tv sets and don't forget, Leonard Hamilton can coach some ball.

I'm inclined to agree with April, (love it when we are gender inclusive!), it's probably leverage, but FSU is the best add other than ND which is gonna happen when I wake up next to Jennifer Anniston with a wine glass in my hand...

Btw, gender remark is sarcasm for all you posters who didn't actually live on the Mt.

getserious 1 year, 11 months ago

Louisville and Cincinatti are the only two that make sense. Geographically makes the most sense, also gives West Virginia two schools nearby to have rivals with. Both football teams go to bowl games wvery year and both are great in Basketball. FSU and Clemson in the Big 12 makes about as much sense as Mizzou in the SEC. Just stupid thinking really.

april28 1 year, 11 months ago

My guess is that this is all smoke. FSU wants a new ACC contract. They'll probably get it by threatening to leave.

Saguaro_Jayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

None of these schools have any "sex" appeal. Not sure where you're getting your baseline for what is sexual appealing.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

The PERCEPTION that the ACC favors the North Carolina schools ?????

Is that like the PERCEPTION that Missouri chokes every year in the NCAA Tournament?

I don't think it's a perception at all - it's a well known fact. Has NC or Duke EVER played an opening weekend in the Tournament more than .............8 miles from their home court? (a slight exaggeration, but not far off).

It's pathetic how blatantly the NCAA (and the media) drool all over themselves to keep the ACC elite happy and piling up the " W's ". And wrong.

hirschtodd 1 year, 11 months ago

NO ONE WATCHES RUTGERS! Trust me. I live in Jersey. Any shot Rutgers had a being relevant is gone. They failed to use the momentum they had after that "high profile" season.

JHWKDW 1 year, 11 months ago

Well I hate to bust everyone's bubble,but the Longhorn jerks big sportswriter and inside guy K Bohls said U Of Texas school officials dismiss rumors of FSU/Clemson possible exit to Big 12.! Texas says they do not want expansion!

Well folks Ive had enough!If this rumor was true, and they wanted to come here and Texas said hell no!I hate to say it but Missouri heck even Texas A&M,Colorado,and Nebraska had the right Idea time to bolt!I wish we could go to the the Pac-12!I would take Mountain West!As long as we do not go to the Big Least where there is another tyrant like Texas, Notre Dame!You know that Bohls was the one that was concerned that when the Pac-12 told Texas Longhorns to shove their offer they were worried that they would give a Pac-12 conference offer to KU and K-State! The Longhorns definitely do not want a team like FSU to challenge them and their ability to boss everyone around folks!You know every team in the Big 12 should tell the Longhorns to stick it & leave!Let them choke on their loser Longhorn Network which will and has been failing!We are not getting the truth about what is happening here folks!They acted like A&M and Missouri and the other 2 were just greedy!Nah they were tired of Texas!

tydon27 1 year, 11 months ago

Hawkword369 1 year, 11 months ago

I could easily transfer the hate I have for Mizzou over to Florida State haha Good article Keegan.

DCLawHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

FSU and Rutgers make zero sense to me. Can LJW find out what is in that "study" that undercuts Louisville? That option makes so much more sense to me geographically, culturally (they hate Kentucky as much as we do), and otherwise. Other than Notre Dame or poaching from a power conference (Arkansas, LSU, Iowa, Vandy, etc.), Louisville seems like the most natural fit for the Big 12. It is a great little city, the school has a comparable athletic budget, good facilities, rabid fans, solid basketball history, and decent academics.

DrGraydog 1 year, 11 months ago

I for one would love to see Florida State, Clemson, Louisville, and Rutgers added to the Big 12. Lets get it done