Originally published May 10, 2012 at 01:25a.m., updated May 11, 2012 at 12:25a.m.

Kansas University basketball team to take European vacation

Jayhawks to play two games in Switzerland, two in Paris in August

The timing couldn’t be better for Kansas University’s summer of 2012 international basketball tour.

“Teams are allowed to practice 10 days (prior to trip), and you are allowed to take the new (incoming) players with you. So with at least six freshmen coming in, it’s a perfect time,” said Larry Keating, KU’s special assistant to the athletic director.

He has helped put together an Aug. 6-14 exhibition excursion to Switzerland and Paris that will consist of two games against the Swiss National Team (Aug. 7-8 in Fribourg, Switzerland outside of Bern) and two against a pair of pro teams in Paris (Aug. 11-12). The NCAA allows teams to make trips outside the U.S. once every four years.

KU’s 2012-13 roster includes freshmen Perry Ellis, Landen Lucas, Ben McLemore, Jamari Traylor, Zach Peters and Andrew White. Walk-on Evan Manning also has committed, as has Anrio Adams, who is awaiting a passing score on the ACT.

“I think it’s a great trip from a basketball standpoint as well as a travel standpoint,” said Keating, who is in charge of KU scheduling.

“The Swiss National Team is supposed to be pretty good. I believe they beat Villanova last year. And we made it clear (to trip organizers) we wanted to play good teams in Paris as well.”

As far as sightseeing ...

“Switzerland is beautiful,” Keating said, “and there’s so much to do in Paris. Five days isn’t even enough to do all there is to do in Paris.”

The Jayhawks will arrive in Switzerland on Aug. 6 and after the two games, take a high-speed train to Paris on Aug. 9. They’ll return to the U.S. on Aug. 14.

Keating did not yet have ticket information or the names of what figure to be small venues. He said the games likely would be played in the evenings. Anthony Travel of Dallas has put together a package for fans in the U.S.

Comments

RJ King 2 years, 5 months ago

I like the timing: Play for NC. Go to Europe. Repeat every 4 years.

Where did they go in 2009?

l'haute offense basse; onduler du blé Are all the venues for the games in Switzerland considered "neutral sites?' Probably good that there isn't time to do ALL there is to do in Paris.

Thanks Larry. Nice job!

FSUJHAWK 2 years, 5 months ago

Scandinavia is awesome, and so is Pairs. And yes, it is a good thing that the boys don’t have too much free time, not only in Paris, but also in Switzerland.

Aside from money, I can’t fathom why kids would not want to sign up at KU - Hawaii last year, Europe this year, Bahamas next year, best coach and fans anywhere in this universe. Oh well, their loss.

RCHJGKU!!!

TulsaJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Sorry, but Switzerland is not in Scandinavia. It is located north of Italy, east of France, and West of Germany, however It is beautiful.

Michael Auchard 2 years, 5 months ago

Think he was thinking of Sweden. A lot of people seem to make that mistake.

XEPCT 2 years, 5 months ago

West of Austria, Southwest of Germany ... but yeah not Scandinavia ... there aren't any highspeed trains from Scandinavia to Paris.

FSUJHAWK 2 years, 5 months ago

You're right, and as Yaweh pointed out, I was indeed thinking of Sweden. I realized the error just after i hit the post button. I didnt think anyone would pick it up but i guess i forgot this wasnt a Misery site :)

RCJHGKU!!!

Jeff Schartz 2 years, 5 months ago

Hey, Russ....I think he's gonna pork her!

Mel Clare 2 years, 5 months ago

Thats Mr. Clark W.(Wally World) Griswold to you!

Lindsey Buscher 2 years, 5 months ago

This is awesome...Bern is a really great city, this should be a pretty amazing experience.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 5 months ago

ParisHawk, this one's for you.... How do you say Rock Chalk Jayhawk in French?

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Joel Pett has a massive pair. PHOF!

I long for the day when the "wrong way" guys are run from Lexington.

The greatest game is on an IV drip of corruption.

It feels like boxing in the 50s.

The stench is so great no one even pretends anymore.

Make it stop.

For the love of Jimmy.

KGphoto 2 years, 5 months ago

Thank you Joel Pett, not only for keeping Calipari's past on the front burner, but for stoking up Kentucky's whiney Indiana home-and-home escape. I couldn't hate a coach or a program any more.

Robert Brock 2 years, 5 months ago

I want to see photos of the team wearing their Jayhawk-logoed berets.

KGphoto 2 years, 5 months ago

With their first names embroidered on.

kujh1970 2 years, 5 months ago

The fringe benefits for playing basketball have really changed. Must be rough!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

1] In Paris, order bottled water with the cap still fastened on...I'll let you use your imagination as to why.

2] In Paris, do your very best to speak French while constantly apologizing for your horrible treatment of their beautiful language. Most times they will take pity on you and speak English.

3] In Paris, whatever you do, get a loaf of bread...even if it's in the gutter......unbelievable.

4] In Bern, drink as much hot chocolate as you can......it's better than any drug you can name...and it's legal!!

5] In Bern, please do not ask how come there are holes in Swiss Cheese. They have no sense of humor about that.

6] In Bern, casually displaying your Swiss Army Knife has zero cache with maitre-de's and club entry bouncers

Trust me on these!!

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

In Paris, have a have a Nutella crepe, add bananas if you like.. Awesome

RJ King 2 years, 5 months ago

Yuk. Sorry, other than pimento cheese I find Nutella to be the most disgusting spread of all time!

WisconsinJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

You know what would be cool?

IF THE GODDAMNED ARTICLE SAID WHETHER IT WAS THE MEN'S OR WOMEN'S TEAM.

That would be cool.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

Well, the link is under men's basketball so I guess you can use your goddamned imagination!!

What the heck got into your coffee this morning!!?? Chill out!!

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 5 months ago

"..So with at least six freshmen coming in, it’s a perfect time..."

There you go. If it was the women's team, this would have said the "..six freshwomen..", not "..six freshmen..."!

Robin Smith 2 years, 5 months ago

ATTN: INTERNET STREAMING for these games

make it happen people

Joe Satterwhite 2 years, 5 months ago

“The Swiss National team is supposed to be pretty good. I believe they beat Villanova last year"

It's not like Villanova was a dominant team last year, they didn't even make the tourny.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Bicycle through Paris.

Get to the rack.

See the Mona Lisa.

Pivot and slam.

Savor cafe society.

Pop the triceratop.

Enjoy the country that helped America get free.

Baseline drive.

Walk and tweet where Corneille, Voltaire, Dumas, Hugo, Flaubert, Proust, Celine, and Camus walked and wrote.

Go get a basket.

Who needs heaven?

ParisHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Forget the Mona Lisa. It's as overhyped as the Dallas Cowboys back in the day. Check out "The Virgin and Child with St. Anne", which took 20 years to paint and just got restored. Also "St. John the Baptist" (He's Number One!).

And of course the "Winged Victory of Samothrace"...

You do know the week around August 15th is the period Paris is the emptiest, so café society will be just tourists.

You can rent bikes all over Paris with Velib: pick 'em up at one stand, drop 'em at any other.

You want to see in Paris what you can't see in the States? Go to Notre-Dame and Sainte-Chapelle on a sunny day.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

If I can put in a plug for a legendary masterpiece that cannot be reduced to pictures or video, and one persons often don't make time to see, go to Padova, in northern Italy (pretty sure on that) and see Ghiotto's blue frescoes inside a small chapel there. It was so fantastically beautiful I almost cry each time I recall it. He stood near the beginning of that renaissance and seeing these frescoes reveals how angst ridden an corrupt things became by the time of the great renaissance artists so many of us know better.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Except for the McD on the Champs, or other fast food chains come to Gaul, you can see little of Paris in the states and vice versa.

Re: Mona, you sound like so many persons raised on mass media that look at the painting but only see the picture at times, and so are let down by so much of art that has been reduced to cliche in mass media's coarsening promotion of it before you get to see it; then you respond like Roger Ebert at a multipleplex disappointed by the latest FX in some Roman Numeral installment of a CG XTRavaganza and saying, "Here, come see this film from India with real heart and intelligence."

Sigh.

If you are a paint, you won't have any trouble appreciating Mona. If you meditate, or kneel to pray after walking through the disfigured landscape that is so much of our human made world, if you can keep the buds unplugged long enough to hear the timeless silence that swaddles Mona, you can appreciate her.

A masterpiece that does not live up to one's expectations usually implies flaws in one's expectations, rather than flaws in the masterpiece.

A person savoring and loving fine art should have the generosity of spirit and insight not to steer persons away from masterpieces, while sharing what they like more. I recall some of the paintings you mention and they are well worth seeing, but there is room and time to see both.

Always remember this about a time tested masterpiece: sooner or later in your life, it will speak deeply to you...but only when you are ready...and not before.

I try to go to the great museums of Europe about every ten years. I wish more often. And each time art that did not speak to me before speaks to me, while other art that once shouted now is merely technically brilliant.

Always tell others of lesser known art you have discovered and love...as you have done so well above.

Never steer them away from masterpieces that have not spoken to you. Please.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Paris, thanks for taking it in the way I intended. I did not mean to sound critical. Just wanted visitors to give the old girl a chance, that's all.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

ParisHawk..I guess beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.

I was able to see the Mona Lisa in Washington DC many years ago. It was in a room all by itself and as you entered the room, you turned a corner and there it was.

It took my breath away. For some reason, I was alone at that time and I just stood in front of it for over half an hour and just let the history of it's existence wash over me.

I left that museum filled with hope....if a human being could create such a work of art, maybe there is still hope for our species.

ParisHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

"Forget" was a bit strong, but so what if it elicits replies such as jaybate's and yours?

The Mona Lisa today, heavily varnished and unrestored because they don't dare, is roped off and behind heavy glass in a room so crowded you can hardly move; whereas other nearby works by LdV are more accessible.

You still can't skip it, and I wish that everyone could see it as jaybate and you did.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

Well said. ParisHawk...it was a different world 36 years ago!!

JHawk06 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm with ParisHawk on this one. The Mona Lisa was less than memorable. Possibly because it was a madhouse and you couldn't get closer than 10ft. Put me in a quite corner with a bunch of other old portraits any day.

Oh, and the Eiffel Tower at night or the steps of Montmartre are worth checking out.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Oak, thanks for letting readers see that professional architects sometimes have these deep connections to art they experience. I think it helps open peoples hearts to architecture, too. People need some permission to reconnect with the human made world gyms in a sacred level. If people let their de-personalized feelings for things today resurge then their would be greater demand for beauty, for beauty is an instinct, as the ancient cave art and artifacts prove. Our instinctual sense of beauty, while it can be refined with study and practice, has to be systematically educated and conditioned out of us with misguided schools, mind control-driven mass media, and artistry disconnected from the mastercraftsman tradition to brain was us and coarsen us to the point was that we don't even complain about how ugly things have become and dont even hope for, much less demand more beautiful and functional cities and things. It starts with the people's instinct for beauty. The social engineers in trying optimize us as consumers, have badly stunted and twisted our sense of beauty and taste for it.But instincts can only be repressed, not extinguished. The human instinct and sense of beauty can be restored as surely as a wetland can be. It is a matter of restoring an interest and joy in things looking like what they are made from, having a sense of balance and elegance in form and function, austerity and play, surface and ornament, and a trust in joyful and/or elegant beauty being restored to its primacy as an organizing principle.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 5 months ago

The pampered life of a big time college athlete. Sorry to be a stick in the mud but I'm just not too excited about the boys trip to Europe. I'm not jealous if that's what you're thinking, I've seen lots of places too. It's just the massive egos of most high level athletes get fed more by this you're extra special mentality.

Maybe it helps with recruiting, maybe it helps with team unity but those could be offset by a torn ACL by someone too.

martyks 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes you could hate Kentucky's program more than you do, but you would have to be me. I grew up in Indiana. When Steve Alford was a college player, he had his picture taken for a calendar that benefitted the disabled. The NCAA, in their wisdom, made him sit out a game for that horrible act. It was the Kentucky game. Bobby Knight said it best. "The most ironic thing about this is, here we have a kid who gets great grades, who is a student athlete all the way, who isn't looking to drive a great car or get anything for himself, and he has to sit out a game against the most corrupt program in basketball today." The more things change, the more they stay the same. As a former Hoosier (I'm a dyed in the wool Jayhawk now), I see no reason to play them anyway. Find an actual college team made up of student athletes and forget Kentucky just like KU will forget Missouri.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 5 months ago

How about we replace Missouri with Indiana and they replace Kentucky with KU? I'd love to see KU engaged in year to year battles with programs like Indiana's.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

wissox,

To pay due respect to MU, I think we ought to replace them with someone that would be MU's equal, like Rollo School of Mines, or the school where the iron curtain speech was given. :-)

Steve Brown 2 years, 5 months ago

Funeral today for a college pal of mine, 57, way too young, he was big time Kansas fan.

If you can swing it, take your partner to Madrid a few days before the games, eat at Cafe Botin at Hemingway's table. Spend a day at the Prada, with an english guide, see the Mona Lisa sister, certianly inspired the ML everybit as beautiful if not more so and no lines, stand and stare for an hour if you wish. More good stuff in the Prada, google it, amazing works of art. While in Espana buy a few Barcelona soccer jerseys the crimson & blue will suit your game attire to a T. Then hop a short flight to Geneva a few days before the games, go stay in VeVey or Montreaux. See the casstle from 1510 on the lake, take the dinner cruise, take the train one day up and back to Gstaad, the Vail/Aspen of the Alps. Even in summer a nice mountain clean train tour and fun town. While in Bern skip the black bear yet go across the bridge to old town, see the Banking square, don't they define safe and security, no glass lobbies and no free blenders with a new account. While in Paris see if you can follow my footsteps: 1. Elevator too long a wait for the E tower, no sweat, I took the stairs. (to first level anyway and it is quite a haul) 2. Moulin Rouge, danced in full regailia down to red socks what we would call the can.can. This was before the Nicole Kidman movie, same place though. 3. Dinner cruise on the Seine, take my advice it is a fun night of sights but do not, under no circumstances toast to life every time you pass under a bridge. 4. go to a sidewalk cafe by the opera house, with a glass of red, fromage (cheese), grapes and a loaf, turn off your ipad, ipod and watch the world pass by. PS: Don't wear sneakers, or shoes that are related to them. call your travel agent, say you are staying over another couple of weeks.

PS this was not meant to be preachy, forgive me had a tough day just wanted to share a few good memories, we've been blessed.....RCJHKU

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Here is what I do in your situation.

I say to myself: heaven has a better connection than ESPN/Comcast, though not quite as good as center court.

I go out in the backyard at night, cry, look up, and say, see you shortly.

Then I go find something beautiful to paint.