Originally published May 10, 2012 at 12:00a.m., updated May 10, 2012 at 01:32a.m.

Did UF give KU a boost?

Only time will tell, but it looks as if recent developments could help Kansas University in its pursuit of former University of South Carolina forward Damontre Harris.

Harris, a 6-foot-9, 225-pound junior-to-be out of Fayetteville, N.C., is expected to choose this week between KU and Florida. However, Florida on Wednesday was deemed by some analysts a favorite now to land Dorian Finney-Smith, a 6-8, 195-pound sophomore-to-be from Portsmouth, Va., who has announced plans to leave Virginia Tech.

Finney-Smith, who was ranked No. 31 nationally in the high school Class of 2011 by rivals.com, averaged 6.3 points and 7.0 rebounds while logging 29.0 minutes a game a year ago for Tech. He reportedly was upset at having to play power forward instead of wing. Harris, another power forward who was ranked No. 64 in the Class of 2010, averaged 6.8 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.3 blocks in 25.9 minutes a game last season at USC.

Finney-Smith has yet to release a list of schools. ESPN’s Dave Telep reported on Twitter that Florida and Marquette figure to be factors, with KU, VCU and Villanova possibly getting involved.

Both players will have to sit out next season in accordance with NCAA rules.

Comments

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Withey graduates, as Harris' eligibility starts. Defender/shot blocker replaces defender/shot blocker.

There is no issue here.

Next.

IrishCharlie 1 year, 11 months ago

there is NO kansas university.............................

Alohahawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Recruiting for 2014: According to Zagsblog.com KU has offered Chris McCullough, a 6' 10" forward. Scout lists him as #12 in 2014 (and at 6' 8"). He says his favorites are U Conn, Syracuse, and KU.

kujh1970 1 year, 11 months ago

It looks like more and more players from second tiered programs are looking for more TV exposure.

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 11 months ago

Am I the only one who really does not want us to land this guy? I have nothing against him, I just don't think we have room for him. We have 4 PF freshman coming in this year (Traylor, Ellis, Lucas, Peters) and from what I understand, we are high on the list for top 10 PF recruits Julius Randle and Chris Walker.

Not only would Harris take up a scholarship which I would rather seen used on another high profile recruit for next year, I think he would lessen our chances of us getting either Randle or Walker because of playing time.

I'm sure I'll get some responses that HCBS knows what he's doing and I don't, and maybe you're right. Maybe he knows we aren't getting Randle or Walker and that Peters, Lucas and Traylor aren't going to be great impact players. I guess I am just hoping that they can be impact players and that we have a good chance at getting either Randle or Walker in which case I don't see where Harris fits in.

joeloveshawks 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with Jaylark above that I am more concerned with Adams test results at the moment. I think we need his skill set more than anything for next year. That said, I think Tharpe will be greatly improved over the next few years and kind of reminds me of a potential Russell Robinson type 4 year player who got off to a very slow start.

Michael Sillman 1 year, 11 months ago

Self has shown a preference for giving out all of his scholarships and I certainly can't criticize the results. I am waiting on pins and needles for Adams test results. I think he'll be critical to the ball handling guard depth. It doesn't look like any other options will present themselves at this late date.

KUAlum2000 1 year, 11 months ago

This maybe doesn't count, but do folks remember Darrin Hancock? He was a juco player that came from garden city. Still remember him driving the baseline one game and throwing down a reverse jam over somebody. He had to duck his head around the backboard.

hawksince51 1 year, 11 months ago

One of the issues with transfers who have to sit out a year, is that it is hard to project how they fit with a team's needs 2 years out. Lester Earl was not needed once we got Collison and Gooden. I never felt he was much of a contributor anyway. Whereas Withey became eligilbe at just the right time and filled a void. And, Jeff's development has been remarkable. Others have pointed out our checkered results with transfers over the years. But, as long as a team has an available scholarship it is usually worth a shot.

FSUJHAWK 1 year, 11 months ago

To the World of Journalism in Lawrence, I'm happy to see that the author of this article correctly referred to the University of South Carolina by its rightful name. The same author also referred to the University of Florida as "Florida," which is acceptable by AP and other standards. Yet, the first university referred to in this article was referenced incorrectly. This is a shame and disrespect to our university.

On topic, transfers are hit or miss. They are mostly hits however. Typically it's unknown to many why a coach recruits a transfer, in many cases the coach's goal is to have a solid practice or back up guy. The goal is not always to find the next MJ or PP. The reality is that transfers usually bolster a young team's attitude, physicality, maturity, experience, depth and academics. If HCBS wants this cat I'm in total support of da man.

RCJHGKU!!!

BigBlue4KU 1 year, 11 months ago

Rex started on the 1991 team that played for the National Championship, Jerod started for the '97 and '98 teams that included Vaughn, Pollard, Pierce and LaFrentz, Greg Dreiling started on the '86 Final Four team and Morningstar started for the '74 Final Four team. I'd say there are four transfers that worked out pretty well. Withey has a chance to be an All-American. Graves and Little were important contributors to some pretty decent teams. Quintrell wasn't a transfer TO Kansas, he transferred FROM Kansas.

BigBlue4KU 1 year, 11 months ago

Rex Walters, Jerod Hasse, Greg Dreiling, Roger Morningstar

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 11 months ago

First! Sometimes it is the little things... Personally, I've never been overwhelmed by transfers. We've had a few that turned out well but just as many haven't done so well.

Jeff Withey, Jeff Graves, Kevin Young and even Wesley have made us a better team but I remember Lester Earl, Luke Axtell (sp?), and numerous others who ended up sitting on the bench watching. Granted, most of these players who didn't do well were often done in by injuries.

Still, these players look like they could make solid contributions 2013 and 2014.

I think Coach Self wants to be sure that we have a strong frontcourt as I'm sure that there will be request for transfers next season for those who are left out of the rotation.

I also think that Self is looking for some big bodies who want to play physically.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 11 months ago

If Finney-Smith doesn't want to play PF, wouldn't that mean he wouldn't be fighting for minutes with Harris? Anyway, Harris is supposed to decide soon...if he postpones his announcement then perhaps this is an issue for him. I hope we get him but I won't be terrible bummed if we don't.

Will the freshmen be able to take the European trip and play? I seem to remember there was some date as to when they could be included (around Labor Day?) but I can't remember. Either way, it should be a good experience for this year's team. I'm sure they'll make great ambassadors for the school and for Jayhawk nation. And it sounds like fun!

RCJH