Wednesday, May 9, 2012

T-Rob living large before NBA draft

Former Kansas University power forward Thomas Robinson, who recently signed with sports agent Tony Dutt and Rivals Sports Group, is living the good life as he prepares for the 2012 NBA Draft.

Robinson and former Syracuse standout Scoop Jardine were spotted by TMZ.com on Monday in front of Katsuya Restaurant in Hollywood.

“Is this TMZ for real? This is your boy T-Rob ... FOE (Family Over Everything), shout it all day. This is my man Scoop,” Robinson said, introducing Jardine to the entertainment website reporter.

Asked what he’ll be spending his first NBA dollars on, projected top five pick Robinson said: “an iced-up Rolex (watch).”

After Jardine said he’d buy his mom a house, Robinson quickly added he had plans to purchase his little sister gifts as well.

DraftExpress.com has the 6-foot-9, 240-pound Robinson headed to New Orleans with the No. 4 pick overall in the June 28 draft; nbadraft.net has Robinson going to his hometown Washington Wizards with the No. 2 pick.

The Robinson/Jardine video, in which Robinson is wearing a Washington Nationals baseball cap, is available below.

TMZ video

Thomas Robinson on TMZ video

Semi has full list: Ottawa High senior-to-be Semi Ojeleye, a 6-6, 215-pound small forward who averaged 32.1 points and 8.7 rebounds a game last season, has KU on his revised list of schools.

Rivals.com reports that its No. 37-rated player nationally is considering KU, Kansas State, Missouri, Duke, Arizona, Stanford, UCLA, Indiana, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Illinois.

Ojeleye led MoKan Elite to a runner-up finish in the recent EYBL AAU Tournament in Hampton, Va.

“MoKan Elite went down at the hands of the CIA Bounce, but Semi Ojeleye did everything in his power to prevent it,” writes Eric Bossi of Rivals.com. “The powerfully built, 6-foot-6 wing from Ottawa High went unconscious from three-point land during the second half as he buried one long jumper after another. When he’s set, he doesn’t miss very often.

“On top of being an excellent set shooter, the No. 37 player in the class of 2013 shows a great understanding of how to use his ruggedly built frame in the lane where he continually finishes through contact,” Bossi added.

Harris to decide soon: South Carolina transfer Damontre Harris will choose to attend either KU or Florida this week, his mom tells Rivals.com.

The 6-9, 225-pound junior-to-be power forward from Fayetteville, N.C., “will sit down with his coach by the end of this week and try to make a decision by then,” Sheronda Harris told jayhawkslant.com.

Damontre averaged 6.8 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.3 blocks per game his soph season for the Gamecocks. He will have to sit out a season in accordance with NCAA transfer rules.

“He is done taking visits and will decide between Kansas and Florida. I know Damontre enjoyed himself at Kansas (last weekend) and he really liked the visit, as he did Florida as well. Damontre really likes both schools, so it’s going to be a big decision, but it’s a decision he will make,” she added.

Comments

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

T Rob... A ridiculous amount of former professional athletes are bankrupt. Enjoy the Rolex but don't be afraid of a little savings and smart investing.

mojayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

As instructed by Coach Danny Manning.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I've never met Manning (not Danny, or Coach now that he's moved on. haha), but a friend of mine played football at KU at the same time that - OK - Danny was there. My friend was getting married just a couple of weeks after Danny had signed with the Clippers and he was all excited to get a wedding present from his buddy the multi-millionaire.

He had all KINDS of lavish ideas in mind. New vehicles, weeks long vacations to exotic places - you name it.

Later, when I asked him what Manning had got them for a present - he told me " Bah - the tightwad got me a picture frame !!".

ebizzle 2 years, 3 months ago

Glad to see T-Rob enjoying himself. It is great to see a young man who has gone through so much having a good time and realizing his future is very bright. We all know he deserves every second of it.

I also hope he realizes that when his future was in doubt, just over a year ago, many people stepped up and donated dollars so his sister's education would be taken care of. It is kind of ironic that a maxed out Rolex could pay for all four years of a college education

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Let's not be too hard on TRob: I know that the pressure of Finals Week sometimes led me to unwind a little too much. Thank god TMZ never caught up with me.

cklarock 2 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, whenever finals stress got to be too much, I would often jet out to Los Angeles to get sushi. Always got my mind back on school.

milehighhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I pretty much guarantee any one of my students currently taking their final would agree to turn in a blank exam for $1,000.

Multiply that amount by a few thousand. He's only, what - 20? Let him enjoy life for a minute.

southwindjay 2 years, 3 months ago

Well, don't live too large T-Rob. I hope he can stay grounded and has a mentor he can rely upon for sound advice. When in doubt T-Rob call Mr. Self

southwindjay 2 years, 3 months ago

jgkojak 2 years, 3 months ago

I really hope someone gets with him and says "take 2 million of your first year's salary and invest it and never touch it" - and then I really hope he goes to a team with some good mentors.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

Better yet..take 2 million in cash and put it in safe deposit box, take another 2 million and deposit it into FDIC-protected savings accounts and take a final 2 million and invest in low risk bonds.

No matter what happens, you have a six mil-plus nest egg to get by on in your old age!! :)

flyingfinn 2 years, 3 months ago

Have to agree with you all. Just saw the bit on ESPN on Terrell Owens who is now completely broke after earning more than 60 million in his career. How in the hell can anyone blow that kind of money in that short of time.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

I guess 60 mil just doesn't go as far as it used to!! :)

VaJay 2 years, 3 months ago

Put money in a safe deposit box? Why not just put it under his pillow. Your radically conservative investment suggestion is a little much. There are solid financial managers out there, and I'm sure he'll be introduced to one.

Lost_in_the_Phog 2 years, 3 months ago

Except for the fact that it's very illegal to put cash in a safe deposit box..

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

Wrong..that is a banking myth. It is not illegal in the state of TEXAS so i am guessing it's not illegal any where.

Eride 2 years, 3 months ago

It is not illegal.

There is no federal or state law that makes the mere act of storing US currency in a safety deposit box against the law.

Now if you are storing cash in your safety deposit box to further an illegal act, that is still illegal. An example of this would be using a safety deposit box to hide revenue from the IRS to avoid taxation.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 3 months ago

If as predicted he goes #4 in the draft, his first year salary will be about $3.1 million, of which Uncle Sam will take close to third...a lot more if Obama gets re-elected.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 3 months ago

If we're asking for investment advice, take 40% of every net dollar received and purchase the stock of 7 top dividend paying companies, reinvest the dividends, and leave it alone. For example AT&T, IBM, Coca-Cola, McDonalds, Pfizer, ConEd, Chevron. Run those numbers over any 10 year time frame and you'll be amazed.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 3 months ago

Hope that T-Rob makes some wise decisions about his money! He needs to speak with Magic Johnson!

Brian Stoops 2 years, 3 months ago

I was the first to break this story (on the thread about Austin Nichols)........someone please help me pat myself on the back

SDSurferFan 2 years, 3 months ago

Diversify your investments, buy a modest house, have a budget, live within your means.....

LOL.

Really people...he's a kid. RELAX. I'd say he deserves what is coming his way.

I hope he buys the ice-iest of all iced Rolexs and has a new one for each day of the week.

SDSurferFan 2 years, 3 months ago

I'd say all comments should be directed towards Scoop. Will he get drafted?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

He will take care of the most precious part in his life...his little sister. The rest of it will take care of itself.

63Jayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Big change in a short time. As I recall, when asked the question about the first thing he would buy with his money a few weeks ago, T Rob said he would get a headstone for his mother's grave and take his little sister out to eat. Now it is a Rolex Watch! T Rob picked the wrong agent. He's getting bad advice!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

Something tells me he's done those thing already.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

Breakdown of Tyrel Owen's portfolio:

1] Taxes - 20 million 2] Agent - 6 million 3] Entourage - 10 million 4] Clubs - 4 million 5] House, cars, boats, etc. - 9 million 6] Child support - 11 million

POOF!! It's gone!!

[Posted with pure fiction and head-shaking bewilderment]

Dan Harris 2 years, 3 months ago

Nah I heard he blew most of it on popcorn!

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

TRob,

Do yourself a favor. Take a trip to the Orient. See the flipping world. Buy a fake Rolex for $15 in Bankok. Wear it for a year and count how many persons recognize its fake. Then buy some good stock. You'll be able to retire from the grind a year earlier in 14 years, instead of 15. Fake Rolexes are the best investment you can make. Only real suckers buy the real thing. Buy a real piece of art, something that cannot be copied with your hard earned money. Hang it on the wall. Savor it. It will let you retire two years earlier, if you get good advice on the right art. Most of these saps in the NBA would only have to play 5 years, if they bought the right kind of art, instead of wasting their money on hub caps and ice.

JayCeph 2 years, 3 months ago

+1(fake Rolex and a real piece of art)!

Jeremy Caudle 2 years, 3 months ago

+1!! Excellent advice! I'd bet it's less than ten that do recognize the fake. They make em pretty good over there!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

And make sure you get the REAL Dogs Playing Poker art, not some flea market knockoff. Make sure it glows in the dark too.

Signed copies are the most valuable, but beware of imitation paw prints.

kujh1970 2 years, 3 months ago

I just hope T-Rob gets some good financial advice. By the fact that the first thing he wants to do is buy an expensive Rolex tells me he doesn't have his ducks lined up. It would be a terrible tragedy if he doesn't watch what he's doing and he ends up blowing it all.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 3 months ago

I suggest TRob read the book of Proverbs for advice on money. That'd be a great place to start.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Aww - just go ahead and read the whole Book !

Spoiler Alert

Good vs Evil ----- Good wins!!!!

Scott Tuley 2 years, 3 months ago

I just saw that trashy show TMZ and they made fun of T Robb for not wanting to buy his mother a new house also, I even called the show to tell them his mom is deceased. The number is 888-847-9869, all loyal jayhawk fans should call them and let 'em know how you feel.

jayhawkboogeyman 2 years, 3 months ago

These guys don't realize that their salary may be huge, but their lifetime earning window is very short. Someone with a professional degree will make about $6M over 30-40 years after college. A decent NBA player will sign contracts for about $20-30M over a career, but after you take out the taxes and agent fees up front, you end up making about what a family practice physician makes in a career.

If the agents or advisers really cared about anything but making money off these guys, they would set up that salary like a yearly payment lottery winner. When a 20 year old kid has a $2.8M check fall in his lap, it's hard to imagine that money has to last the rest of your life.

Preston Dwiggins 2 years, 3 months ago

Who takes TMZ for real...obviously TRob didn't and I wouldn't either...that's my friend Nafis Ricks / former Missouri State PG in the background. BUT, yes...TRob, don't be afraid to save and be sure and keep an eye on your money regardless of who is "taking care" of it.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 3 months ago

My guess is he stopped going to class months ago.

Sam Constance 2 years, 3 months ago

Screw all these comments imploring Thomas to be smart.

I'm not poo-pooing the idea of being smart, per se, but instead I'd like to pass a different message to Mr. Robinson:

Enjoy yourself. You had a part of your youth stolen from you these past two years. You deserve to live it up a little bit--if that means buying an iced-out Rolex, go for it.

I imagine Robinson is more aware of the fleeting nature of success and the need to continually strive and prepare for misfortune more than a lot of people. He doesn't strike me as the type to blow through millions.

FOE

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I agree that he should splurge a little. I just hope he doesn't wear his "iced-out" Rolex out in public or advertise that he's wearing it.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 3 months ago

Maybe he'll wear it at The Cave in Lawrence and get into a fight with the bartender and end up in jail in Douglas County and fall in love with his cell-mate and move to a desert island giving up his NBA dream. Moral: don't be a fool and buy a six figure Rolex when you're 20 years old and end up on a desert island doing your ex-cellmate's nails.

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

Well, hell, then, I've got some beach property in Paraguay I'd like to sell him.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 3 months ago

How much? Does it have a view?

Greg Isernhagen 2 years, 3 months ago

As a lurker, I expected to see a bunch of old fuddy duddy non-millionaires grousing over a kid that said that he wants to spend some of his incoming stream of major bucks on something expensive when that first paycheck arrives. Boy, was I ever not disappointed. Some of you guys need a reality check on just how much money he will be guaranteed in years 1-3. Pretty sure you'd get yourself something nice with the dough too!

Damian Glaze 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm surprised everyone isn't commenting about the second portion of this article. A kid just down the street (from Kansas) with top 40 recruit talent might not end up at KU. This Semi Ojeleye kid looks like a better version of Travis Releford and he is an excellent student from a family of excellent students. Bill better protect the nest and make sure this kid stays at KU. Any locals ever see him play?

texashawk10 2 years, 3 months ago

His brother played at KState, I think most people would be surprised at this point if Semi doesn't end up in Manhattan. KU is fighting a major uphill battle with him and I'm a little surprised the article doesn't mention Semi's brother played at KSU.

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

When KSU hired Bruce Webber, it nearly guarantied all of its recruits would bail.

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

Well, Bill Self certainly has a record of never overstocking positions with good players, so, no, there is zero chance Bill would offer Semi, or that Semi would consider. :-)

Seriously, there are only two scenarios I can foresee, where Semi is not offered and does not consider.

1. BMac, Greene and White are four year types (White maybe, but not BMac or Greene); and/or

2. Semi and his family dislike Self and/or KU.

If we don't hear that Self has offered him, then option number two seems likely.

Or maybe Semi isn't enough of a character for Self?

Self has said he likes characters and recruits them intentionally.

Self implied he didn't like being stuck coaching boring players for 4 years.

Is Semi boring?

I doubt it.

I lean to Semi's family not having a warm and fuzzy spot for Self.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm gonna stick with kD on this, it's great that a Kansas athlete is playing great basketball, and good for KSU if he goes there, but Self should worry more about guards and bigs than wings. Also consider Ellis is a possibility at the 3 in the future, Self only HAS to make efforts at top talent like Walker as far as I'm concerned. Get Harris and Walker and KU should be set for a while. Those are the only 2 guys I'm concerned about at this point. If Ellis then has to move to the 3 we're definitely overstocked with great wings. White's shooting stroke looks silky smooth from what I've seen, obviously Greene is highly touted. I have to doubt that BMac will be gone after 1yr of actual play. If he's good enough to leave after one of the next two years, good for us, he must be really darn good! Hopefully the '13-14 depth chart looks like this PG - Adams/Tharpe/Frankamp SG - BMac/White SF - Ellis/Greene PF - Walker/Traylor/Lucas C - Harris/Peters Looking at that if you think BMac might make the jump your biggest concern has to be like kD said, PG/SG and that's assuming we can land Walker, if not hopefully Self lands another quality big. Even without one of Walker or Harris, that's a heck of a squad!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

TRob, if you and Jeff had each just made your dunks, we would have been down by two with 30 seconds to play and the ball..... EJ shoots, lets Davis knock the ball out of bounds and we have the ball with 20 seconds to play. I am convinced EJ would have hit that game winning three and Calipari would have been once again lowered into another NCAA Championship Hell.

That's the way it should have ended.

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

Interesting, I visited an alternative universe recently and it worked out exactly that way. I have since been seeking to transfer universes permanently, but I cannot get a guaranty that I will wind up in that one where KU prevailed. In another alternative universe, I am told, KU not only lost, but both teams were scarificed at the end and all the fans were imprisoned as enemies of the state.

Care is required in picking universe transfers, just as in picking schools to transfer to.

What universe is Merv Lindsey in these days?

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

Story Quote: Everett High principal Louis Baldi told the newspaper he met with NCAA investigators for 75 minutes. He didn't reveal specific details, and said the NCAA officials "didn't ask me any investigative-type questions." http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/story/_/id/7907691/report-ncaa-looking-top-kentucky-wildcats-recruit-nerlens-noel

NCAA investigators meet for 75 minutes, but don't ask any investigative-type questions.

Makes sense to me.

Why would investigators ask investigative-type questions?

They never do that sort of thing.

Investigators always come a long a way for 75 minutes of talk about the weather, right?

mikehawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I think his representative company, if it is one that is legit, puts them on a budget and helps them invest their money. Right now, he probably owes them some of his first money as he is probably "living large" off of borrowed funds his agent has provided. Be careful, my dear friend. The tempters are out and they have you in their sights. See Dennis Rodman, for one instance.

MimiHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

TRob signed with an excellent agent, and an excellent firm. On their website they posted that Thomas will use the following services: Negotiation, Finances, Training, Marketing, Estates, Insurance, Travel, & Philanthropy.

DCLawHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Be sure to watch the "This Is Kansas Basketball" montage on Rival's website. It features all the great T-Rob highlights from the past season. Very exciting.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 3 months ago

Isn't this much nicer than wondering if we're going to sign DeAndre Daniels?

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 3 months ago

Definitely nice for TRob to have a good relationship with guys like the Twins who have been through the process recently and can inform him.

So the good news is it sounds like Harris is definitely going to transfer, bad news is UF probably has a better shot than KU. Hopefully he decides he doesn't want to have to play at USC as a visitor.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 3 months ago

The first thing he's going to buy is a watch??? Good to see TRob's going to use his riches wisely :-/

I mean, it's okay if that's what he does, but why would he tell that to the world? It makes him look like a D-Bag. But who am I to say what he should or shouldn't spend his money on, right? Us lowly serfs can't imagine what it's like to have millions of dollars. I would like to think that I would use it to contribute more to society than just buying myself a watch though.