Wednesday, May 9, 2012

T-Rob living large before NBA draft

Former Kansas University power forward Thomas Robinson, who recently signed with sports agent Tony Dutt and Rivals Sports Group, is living the good life as he prepares for the 2012 NBA Draft.

Robinson and former Syracuse standout Scoop Jardine were spotted by TMZ.com on Monday in front of Katsuya Restaurant in Hollywood.

“Is this TMZ for real? This is your boy T-Rob ... FOE (Family Over Everything), shout it all day. This is my man Scoop,” Robinson said, introducing Jardine to the entertainment website reporter.

Asked what he’ll be spending his first NBA dollars on, projected top five pick Robinson said: “an iced-up Rolex (watch).”

After Jardine said he’d buy his mom a house, Robinson quickly added he had plans to purchase his little sister gifts as well.

DraftExpress.com has the 6-foot-9, 240-pound Robinson headed to New Orleans with the No. 4 pick overall in the June 28 draft; nbadraft.net has Robinson going to his hometown Washington Wizards with the No. 2 pick.

The Robinson/Jardine video, in which Robinson is wearing a Washington Nationals baseball cap, is available below.

TMZ video

Thomas Robinson on TMZ video

Semi has full list: Ottawa High senior-to-be Semi Ojeleye, a 6-6, 215-pound small forward who averaged 32.1 points and 8.7 rebounds a game last season, has KU on his revised list of schools.

Rivals.com reports that its No. 37-rated player nationally is considering KU, Kansas State, Missouri, Duke, Arizona, Stanford, UCLA, Indiana, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Illinois.

Ojeleye led MoKan Elite to a runner-up finish in the recent EYBL AAU Tournament in Hampton, Va.

“MoKan Elite went down at the hands of the CIA Bounce, but Semi Ojeleye did everything in his power to prevent it,” writes Eric Bossi of Rivals.com. “The powerfully built, 6-foot-6 wing from Ottawa High went unconscious from three-point land during the second half as he buried one long jumper after another. When he’s set, he doesn’t miss very often.

“On top of being an excellent set shooter, the No. 37 player in the class of 2013 shows a great understanding of how to use his ruggedly built frame in the lane where he continually finishes through contact,” Bossi added.

Harris to decide soon: South Carolina transfer Damontre Harris will choose to attend either KU or Florida this week, his mom tells Rivals.com.

The 6-9, 225-pound junior-to-be power forward from Fayetteville, N.C., “will sit down with his coach by the end of this week and try to make a decision by then,” Sheronda Harris told jayhawkslant.com.

Damontre averaged 6.8 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.3 blocks per game his soph season for the Gamecocks. He will have to sit out a season in accordance with NCAA transfer rules.

“He is done taking visits and will decide between Kansas and Florida. I know Damontre enjoyed himself at Kansas (last weekend) and he really liked the visit, as he did Florida as well. Damontre really likes both schools, so it’s going to be a big decision, but it’s a decision he will make,” she added.

Comments

HawkKlaw 1 year, 11 months ago

The first thing he's going to buy is a watch??? Good to see TRob's going to use his riches wisely :-/

I mean, it's okay if that's what he does, but why would he tell that to the world? It makes him look like a D-Bag. But who am I to say what he should or shouldn't spend his money on, right? Us lowly serfs can't imagine what it's like to have millions of dollars. I would like to think that I would use it to contribute more to society than just buying myself a watch though.

phogphan2000 1 year, 11 months ago

Definitely nice for TRob to have a good relationship with guys like the Twins who have been through the process recently and can inform him.

So the good news is it sounds like Harris is definitely going to transfer, bad news is UF probably has a better shot than KU. Hopefully he decides he doesn't want to have to play at USC as a visitor.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 11 months ago

Isn't this much nicer than wondering if we're going to sign DeAndre Daniels?

MimiHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

TRob signed with an excellent agent, and an excellent firm. On their website they posted that Thomas will use the following services: Negotiation, Finances, Training, Marketing, Estates, Insurance, Travel, & Philanthropy.

mikehawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I think his representative company, if it is one that is legit, puts them on a budget and helps them invest their money. Right now, he probably owes them some of his first money as he is probably "living large" off of borrowed funds his agent has provided. Be careful, my dear friend. The tempters are out and they have you in their sights. See Dennis Rodman, for one instance.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

TRob, if you and Jeff had each just made your dunks, we would have been down by two with 30 seconds to play and the ball..... EJ shoots, lets Davis knock the ball out of bounds and we have the ball with 20 seconds to play. I am convinced EJ would have hit that game winning three and Calipari would have been once again lowered into another NCAA Championship Hell.

That's the way it should have ended.

Damian Glaze 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm surprised everyone isn't commenting about the second portion of this article. A kid just down the street (from Kansas) with top 40 recruit talent might not end up at KU. This Semi Ojeleye kid looks like a better version of Travis Releford and he is an excellent student from a family of excellent students. Bill better protect the nest and make sure this kid stays at KU. Any locals ever see him play?

Sam Constance 1 year, 11 months ago

Screw all these comments imploring Thomas to be smart.

I'm not poo-pooing the idea of being smart, per se, but instead I'd like to pass a different message to Mr. Robinson:

Enjoy yourself. You had a part of your youth stolen from you these past two years. You deserve to live it up a little bit--if that means buying an iced-out Rolex, go for it.

I imagine Robinson is more aware of the fleeting nature of success and the need to continually strive and prepare for misfortune more than a lot of people. He doesn't strike me as the type to blow through millions.

FOE

Jay Dogger 1 year, 11 months ago

Is school over for the year yet? Or am I being incredibly naive?

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 11 months ago

Who takes TMZ for real...obviously TRob didn't and I wouldn't either...that's my friend Nafis Ricks / former Missouri State PG in the background. BUT, yes...TRob, don't be afraid to save and be sure and keep an eye on your money regardless of who is "taking care" of it.

jayhawkboogeyman 1 year, 11 months ago

These guys don't realize that their salary may be huge, but their lifetime earning window is very short. Someone with a professional degree will make about $6M over 30-40 years after college. A decent NBA player will sign contracts for about $20-30M over a career, but after you take out the taxes and agent fees up front, you end up making about what a family practice physician makes in a career.

If the agents or advisers really cared about anything but making money off these guys, they would set up that salary like a yearly payment lottery winner. When a 20 year old kid has a $2.8M check fall in his lap, it's hard to imagine that money has to last the rest of your life.

tooltime59 1 year, 11 months ago

I just saw that trashy show TMZ and they made fun of T Robb for not wanting to buy his mother a new house also, I even called the show to tell them his mom is deceased. The number is 888-847-9869, all loyal jayhawk fans should call them and let 'em know how you feel.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 11 months ago

I suggest TRob read the book of Proverbs for advice on money. That'd be a great place to start.

kujh1970 1 year, 11 months ago

I just hope T-Rob gets some good financial advice. By the fact that the first thing he wants to do is buy an expensive Rolex tells me he doesn't have his ducks lined up. It would be a terrible tragedy if he doesn't watch what he's doing and he ends up blowing it all.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

TRob,

Do yourself a favor. Take a trip to the Orient. See the flipping world. Buy a fake Rolex for $15 in Bankok. Wear it for a year and count how many persons recognize its fake. Then buy some good stock. You'll be able to retire from the grind a year earlier in 14 years, instead of 15. Fake Rolexes are the best investment you can make. Only real suckers buy the real thing. Buy a real piece of art, something that cannot be copied with your hard earned money. Hang it on the wall. Savor it. It will let you retire two years earlier, if you get good advice on the right art. Most of these saps in the NBA would only have to play 5 years, if they bought the right kind of art, instead of wasting their money on hub caps and ice.

Adam Gerval 1 year, 11 months ago

Could this TMZ reporter be more ignorant about the NBA draft? Dude should really stick to hanging on Lindsey Lohan.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

Breakdown of Tyrel Owen's portfolio:

1] Taxes - 20 million 2] Agent - 6 million 3] Entourage - 10 million 4] Clubs - 4 million 5] House, cars, boats, etc. - 9 million 6] Child support - 11 million

POOF!! It's gone!!

[Posted with pure fiction and head-shaking bewilderment]

63Jayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Big change in a short time. As I recall, when asked the question about the first thing he would buy with his money a few weeks ago, T Rob said he would get a headstone for his mother's grave and take his little sister out to eat. Now it is a Rolex Watch! T Rob picked the wrong agent. He's getting bad advice!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

He will take care of the most precious part in his life...his little sister. The rest of it will take care of itself.

kusportsdotcom 1 year, 11 months ago

The average length of a career in the NBA is 4.82 years. While most of us couldn't live on 5 years' salary for the rest of our lives, an NBA player could actually do it if they were smart. T-Rob will be in the league far longer than 5 years, one would assume, but still. He'll be "jobless" in 10-15 years, and like many of you have pointed out, he's a kid. But he's a kid with a sister to look out for. If you gave me millions of dollars when I was a kid, I would have scoffed at anyone telling me how to spend it. But, I would have needed that advice.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Best regards to Thomas Robinson. Being a lotto pick is a well-earned dream for him. Enjoy the start of the next level, TRob! You deserve it. In due time, get with other NBA vets and learn how to "play everything smart" (on court, off court). Build that empire, baby!

SDSurferFan 1 year, 11 months ago

I'd say all comments should be directed towards Scoop. Will he get drafted?

SDSurferFan 1 year, 11 months ago

Diversify your investments, buy a modest house, have a budget, live within your means.....

LOL.

Really people...he's a kid. RELAX. I'd say he deserves what is coming his way.

I hope he buys the ice-iest of all iced Rolexs and has a new one for each day of the week.

Brian Stoops 1 year, 11 months ago

I was the first to break this story (on the thread about Austin Nichols)........someone please help me pat myself on the back

Clarence Haynes 1 year, 11 months ago

Hope that T-Rob makes some wise decisions about his money! He needs to speak with Magic Johnson!

jgkojak 1 year, 11 months ago

I really hope someone gets with him and says "take 2 million of your first year's salary and invest it and never touch it" - and then I really hope he goes to a team with some good mentors.

southwindjay 1 year, 11 months ago

Well, don't live too large T-Rob. I hope he can stay grounded and has a mentor he can rely upon for sound advice. When in doubt T-Rob call Mr. Self

southwindjay 1 year, 11 months ago

milehighhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I pretty much guarantee any one of my students currently taking their final would agree to turn in a blank exam for $1,000.

Multiply that amount by a few thousand. He's only, what - 20? Let him enjoy life for a minute.

FoCoCoHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Let's not be too hard on TRob: I know that the pressure of Finals Week sometimes led me to unwind a little too much. Thank god TMZ never caught up with me.

ebizzle 1 year, 11 months ago

Glad to see T-Rob enjoying himself. It is great to see a young man who has gone through so much having a good time and realizing his future is very bright. We all know he deserves every second of it.

I also hope he realizes that when his future was in doubt, just over a year ago, many people stepped up and donated dollars so his sister's education would be taken care of. It is kind of ironic that a maxed out Rolex could pay for all four years of a college education

Bangkok_Jayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

T Rob... A ridiculous amount of former professional athletes are bankrupt. Enjoy the Rolex but don't be afraid of a little savings and smart investing.

kusportsdotcom 1 year, 11 months ago

BTW, what about finals? It is finals week, after all. T-Rob must take all those classes that don't give finals.

kusportsdotcom 1 year, 11 months ago

Awesome. Lead off a story with a TMZ sighting of T-Rob. Great path you're going down, LJW.