Tuesday, May 8, 2012

KU offers to Memphis prep Austin Nichols

Kansas head coach Bill Self adjusts his tie as he watches from the bench next to assistant Kurtis Townsend during the second half on Saturday, Dec. 31, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Austin Nichols, a 6-foot-8, 193-pound senior-to-be from Briarcrest Christian School in Memphis, has received a scholarship offer from Kansas University, Rivals.com reports.

“He runs like (UNC’s) Tyler Zeller did and we get him the ball on the run very often the same way the Tar Heels did with Zeller,” Briarcrest coach John Harrington told tarheelillustrated.com. “His only thing is to get stronger and he is working on it but Austin has never had a problem with getting pushed around. I can tell you that and we play in Memphis so the competition is tough.

“He is naturally right-handed but writes with his left and he led the city of Memphis in field goal percentage the past two years at 69 percent his sophomore year and 70 percent this past year.

“It really came together for Austin toward the end of the year. He had 21 points and 19 rebounds in our regional championship and then in the final four he had 30 points one night and 26 the next,” added his coach.

Camps: Former KU center Cole Aldrich of the NBA’s Oklahoma City Thunder will hold his second-annual camp for boys and girls in grades kindergarten through eighth grade July 9-12 at Olathe Northwest High. The camp will run 9 a.m.-noon each day. Former KU players Tyrel Reed, Jeff Gueldner and Mark Randall will serve as counselors. For information go to colealdrich.com. ... Spots remain available in KU coach Bill Self’s two summer camps for youths to be held June 10-14 and 17-21. For information go to billselfbasketballcamp.com.

Comments

KULA 2 years, 2 months ago

They listed his stats but they didn't mention how good looking he is. I googled him and -- this kid is a DREAMBOAT!!! God I hope we get him--move over Jeff Boschee... http://everythingaustin.com/

stinkybulldog 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't know Butchie, instead.

He was John from Cincinnati. Love that show!

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Make sure your looking at the basketball player not the actor...You thought Boschee was a hottie?

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

This is what happens at 4:41am when finishing a vodka/red bull or pint of rocky road, flipping between Jerseylicious and Real Housewives of Temecula, and Hawksurfing at the same time.

Or hopefully, just kidding.

jhawkart 2 years, 2 months ago

Still younger than Morningstar

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 2 months ago

his coach is really proud of zeller, between that and him possibly staying local in memphis id say we dont have the best chance....unless Austin wants to play in the greatest basketball environment ever

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 2 months ago

This kid's high school is the one where Michael Oher, The Blind Side, went. I don't think Sandra Bullock had anything to do with him, though.

Even though Briarcrest is a Christian school, they play against all of the public and private schools in Memphis. So, there is some real competition, not a bunch of 5-10 165lb wanna-be's. .If his stats are what his coach said, he's got his pick of schools for sure. He'd be a great addition to HCBS's stable of talent in 2014. I see him more as an ACC player, unfortunately than SEC or even B12. Work him Bill! He and Zach Peters could be the secular connection at KU!

Oh yeah, KULA, I think you are confused on your Austin Nicols google.

Jim Jackson 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, the Austin Nicols on KULA's site looks like a complete fruitcake, pretty sure it's not the same guy Self is recruiting.

Anyone here any news on Anrio Adams?

I'm liking the expansion talk of adding FSU a& Clemson to the Big 12, albeit BYU and Louisville would also suffice.

Mel Clare 2 years, 2 months ago

Where did you hear about FSU and Clemson? I like the BYU and Louisville thing too.....................heck add them all!!!!!

FSU and Clemson would be great for Football and Louisville and BYU would probably be better for Basketball...........

I agree though and think we will get back to 12 schools within a year or two......

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 2 months ago

BYU Alum (and diehard Jayhawk fan) here. BYU is a football powerhouse, not basketball. BYU would be a huge upgrade in football over say Colorado (definitely a downgrade from Nebraska though). We won the NC in 1984 and have had a very good team for most of the last half century.

Our basketball program is not bad, better than Nebraska or Colorado I would say, but not as good as Misery or T A&M. The Jimmer years were kind of an exception to that.

phogphan2000 2 years, 2 months ago

Ya, not that I care about CU, but they did win the National Title in 1990, so I don't know about huge upgrade, obviously they've not been good for a while Also Boyle has CU basketball on a good path and won a tourney game after taking the Pac12 conf tourney Of course CU is no longer relevant in any B12 conversation anyway

I think BYU would get a boost in both sports if they were playing in the Big12, but FSU obviously stands out above any other schools that have been in the conversation. Opening up recruiting grounds in Florida would be huge.

Wisconsin2Kansas 2 years, 2 months ago

Wait, did jessej421 not bring up Jimmer?! Every BYU fan I know can't help but to bring him up!

Beate Williams 2 years, 2 months ago

Here is a site for Nichols. Kid seems like he has a good head on his shoulders, this is an old interview but sounds like Self could use Dub's help here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf-X52...

Joe Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

Interesting recruiting strategy Beach. I hope Bill Self wil leverage Dub's help in the manner you are suggesting. I think these kids like Peters and Nichols would be highly inclined to lean toward a program with a person like Dub. I think his parents are a big part of his recruiting choice too. They would be really encouraged to learn about Dub's part in the team, excellent suggestion.

I agree with other posters Nichols is much like Zach and would do well to contact him for some input during his recruiting process. They are very similiar in personalities.

SDSurferFan 2 years, 2 months ago

This way Cole may be able to get some PT. kidding....I know he is on a good team but is he pretty much the last guy off the bench?

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Cole's tweaking his hair-do this season, preparing to leap off the bench to scare hell out of Kobe, a la his '08 terrorism of T. Hansbrough.

jayhawkinmullen 2 years, 2 months ago

Man wait until Danny gets a hold of him errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Cameron Cederlind 2 years, 2 months ago

“He is naturally right-handed but writes with his left . . ."

That's impossible!!! Sign this kid now!!!!!

Mel Clare 2 years, 2 months ago

I have a friend that throws and bats right handed, but shoots pool and shotguns left handed................happens more than you think!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

I hope he doesn't ever mix them up!!

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

I write and play guitar left handed, but I throw, bat, and shoot right handed. It really isn't that uncommon for people to be ambidextrous like that.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

My son bats, throws, and golfs left-handed. He eats, writes, and snowboards right-handed. Neither hand seems to be particular effective in cleaning his room.

JhawkalumJB 2 years, 2 months ago

How do you snowboard left-handed?.. Just curious?...

dynamitehawk 2 years, 2 months ago

With your right foot forward. it's called "goofy footed". I'm a goofy footer with surf and snowboarding.

dynamitehawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I pimp-slap open or closed handed, with either hand.

jayhawkinmullen 2 years, 2 months ago

Do you also masterbate both left and right handed?

dynamitehawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Mr. President: You presumptuous jerk. You don't think I can masturbate open or closed fisted?

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

I massage goats right handed.

I milk snake fangs left handed.

I dip dunkers right handed.

I flip off royal twits left handed.

I fondle capybaras right handed.

I juggle microwaved tamales left handed.

I snap my fingers to the Addams Family right handed.

I adjust my self in men's rooms left handed.

I clean the ears of cattle right handed.

I toast my drink to women with breasts the size of yachts left handed.

I reach in the pouches of marsupials right handed.

I deflate Blowfish left handed.

I throw lit M-80s in the open windows of Rolls Royces right handed.

I convey clouded title left handed.

I wave my fist angrily at the gods for ending basketball season right handed.

I catch their lightening bolts left handed.

I think about Kelly Brook right handed.

I ease small, yapping dogs left handed.

Robert Brock 2 years, 2 months ago

I watched this kid play a couple of games at the Real Deal recently. He is skinny but he has all the post skills, counters etc., and he can swat shots. He would be a smart player that you could run offense through. Tough get.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

TMZ reporters are stupid.

He's wearing a Washington hat because he's FROM Washington.

I also didn't hear any mention of "diamonds", as noted in the headline.

Glad to hear that Robinson and his 'crew' aren't spending any money yet. If he is to be believed ;-)

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, I saw that after I posted this. Couldn't hear the "iced up" part when I originally watched the video.

Thanks though :-)

kujh1970 2 years, 2 months ago

I would like to know why we are always offering scholarships to players that are barely on anyone's radar? Doesn't KU have the ability to attract the top athletes in this country?

bad_dog 2 years, 2 months ago

"Nichols, who is ranked No. 40 nationally in the Class of 2013 by Rivals.com, has also received offers from North Carolina, Duke, Florida, Florida State, Louisville, Memphis, Mississippi, Ohio State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Virginia."

Yep, # 40 ranking and barely on anyone's radar...

Dirk Medema 2 years, 2 months ago

Most of the top recruits are being offered for 2013.

Newsflash!!! We won't sign most of them, and Coach Self can still recruit.

phogphan2000 2 years, 2 months ago

What's crazy is that says it's from the Lexington Herald? A local paper bashing their coach?

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 2 months ago

Sign him or dont... we're lookin pretty good for the next few years anyway.

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

I guess this means thigns aren't going well in the Julius Randle and Chris Walker recruitments.

Is Self going to miss on all his top front court prospects AGAIN?

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

As a matter of fact, yes, he was complaining . . . thought we should have been after other guys who never even made it to the second (nee first) round.

dylans 2 years, 2 months ago

BennyBob Umm, didn't everyone whine about not getting enough good players this season? Was a reason stated that Bill goes all in on top players whiffs and has no backup plan? Can a guy recruit top 50 players really be accused of passing on (or missing out on) top talent? Do you really want to wait on Tony Parker or do you want a player of similar talent to sign now? OADs suck the life out of a program, but if that's what you want go watch UK. This is how champion basketball teams are made at The University of Kansas.

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

I have no problem with recruiting this kid, he would be a great signing if we could get him.

I'm just worried about the subtle signs this move points too.

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

good points,

if you youtube Chris Walker highlights 90% of the clips are just him catching lobs (WOW can that kid get up high!)

nobody throws more lobs in there offense than Self's teams. It is a perfect fit.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

It's called casting a wide net. Most of the top ten have offers from a dozen or more schools. Self has learned what happens when targeting too few players and putting all eggs in one basket. So far, out of offers made, KU has only lost out on guards, not big men. Here are the (Rivals) 4 and 5 star players KU has offered so far in the class of 2013:

4 F Brannen Greene Forsyth, Georgia 6'7"/200 - verbal to Kansas 4 G Conner Frankamp Wichita, Kansas 6'0"/160 - verbal to Kansas

5 F Aaron Gordon San Jose, California 6'7"/195 5 F Jabari Parker Chicago, Illinois 6'7"/215 5 F Julius Randle Plano, Texas 6'8"/ 235
5 F Chris Walker Bonifay, Florida 6'9"/220

4 F Jermaine Lawrence Sparta, New Jersey 6'9"/180 4 F Marcus Lee Antioch, California 6'8"/200 4 F Austin Nichols Eads, Tennessee 6'8"/193 4 F Tyler Roberson Roselle, New Jersey 6'7"/190

5 G Anthony Barber Hampton, Virginia 6'2"/165 5 G Keith Frazier Dallas, Texas 6'5"/185 5 G Aaron Harrison Fort Bend, Texas 6'5/210

4 G Tyler Ennis Newark, New Jersey 6'2"/180 4 G Allerik Freeman Charlotte, North Carolina 6'4"/210 4 G Detrick Mostella Decatur, Alabama 6'3"/165

missed so far: 5 G Kasey Hill Clermont, Florida 6'1"/160 - Florida 5 G Chris Thomas Marianna, FloridaChipola J.C. 6'5"/180 - Xavier 4 G Matt Jones DeSoto, TexasDeSoto 6'4"/180 - Duke 4 G Bronson Koenig La Crosse, Wisconsin 6'2"/172 - Wisconsin

Mel Clare 2 years, 2 months ago

Doesnt Harrison have a twin brother that they offered to also? Both are ranked up pretty high and about the same size. Cant see them not staying together, similar to the Morris twins, or Wear twins at UCLA................just asking.

Wisconsin2Kansas 2 years, 2 months ago

We can scratch off the Harrison twins, Julius Randle, and Aaron Gordon. It sounds like they don't have a lot of interest in KU.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

good catch. yes - missed the twin. probably a couple others too, but this info at least provides an overview for bennybob.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

If he's going to cast a wide net, then he might as well cast it so wide that he offers some sexy women some scholarships.

I would really enjoy speculating about Cheryl Cole and Emma Watson and Kelly Brook coming to KU as perimeter players.

I would like to read about their stats.

I would like pictures of them...naked...or nearly so.

I would like to read about how they would like for their teammates to come up big and finish.

I would like to read about who can seal and who can put a body on them and who can man up.

Cast a wide net, Bill. :-)

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

I guess there is no off season for dribble penetration.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 2 months ago

I may be mistaken, but the 14 offers left are probably equally proportional to the number of schools on each recruit's list.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

Why do people get so "angsty" about [expletive] recruits!?!?

No, sorry--that's not fair to "people". Why do YOU get your panties in such a twist about recruits?

I could understand it if KU were struggling to put a winning product on the court, but getting bent out of shape because of a [expletive] number next to a prospect's name not being high enough seems like the height of reactionary, hyper-critical fanaticism, especially given the fact that KU has been more successful (in terms of wins and conference championships) than ANY. OTHER. PROGRAM over the last 10 years.

What the [expletive] is your [expletive] problem?

Get the [expletive] out of here if this is the best contribution you can make to this forum. It's just a negative waste of space.

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

yes, and this was an [expletive] constructive and informative post?

/facepalm

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

Even though i'm getting really tired of explaining this to people who fail to visualize the whole picture i will try it again:

RECRUITING HAS A LAGGING IMPACT ON A PROGRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pointing to the success of the last 10 years is irrelevant beause all that success was achieved with great recruiting classes. KU has only been struggling on the recruiting trail the last 3 years, the impact of those struggles aren't going to fully manifest on the court untill 2 years from now when that first "subpar" class becomes the upperclassmen class expected to lead the program.

we will not keep winning at that high level if this level of recruiting continues, a downturn is inevitible.

now please go away and practive your critical thinking skills.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

My disagreement with your tunnel-vision has nothing to do with a lack of ability to visualize. In fact, I find that accusation is incredibly ironic coming from you.

There are so many problems with your reasoning and information, that I don't know where to start...

When you talk about "subpar" classes reaching upperclassmen status causing KU's on-court results to suffer, are you referring to guys like Robinson (#31, class of 2009) and Withey (#36, class of 2008)? Or maybe Markieff (#49, class of 2008) or Tyshawn (#77, class of 2008)?

Those are just a few recent KU examples of guys who are proof positive that poo-pooing recruits in the top 50 as "recruiting failures" is ignorant. If I expanded my list to include anyone in the 30-50 range who made a huge impact at the college level, the list gets even longer.

Your point, that recruiting impacts a program, is correct. The problem is that you can't seem to couple that understanding with the understanding that "good" recruiting doesn't only mean getting guys in the top ten. In fact, good recruiting can involve getting NO ONE from the top ten. We've seen this time and again, yet you continue to insist on framing things like offering a guy who is rated #40 in his class as a recruiting failure.

At the end of the day, projecting the performance of basketball prospects is an inexact science. On average, the recruits who are rated higher will be better than those who are ranked lower, but "on average" doesn't apply to individual recruits. "On average" doesn't consider how a given coach/team will take and shape a recruit to be better than he was coming out of HS. "On average" doesn't consider anything but pure athletic ability and basketball performance. How often do you see a recruit's ranking get dinged for inability to grow/learn or attitude problems?

I love the fact that you said we're still 2 years out from seeing the problems from all of our recent recruiting "failures", when we just finished watching a season that, by all accounts, should have shown us the negative impact of said "failures". Neither of our upperclassmen leaders were ranked in the top 30 recruits coming to KU, yet they somehow managed to have KU's most successful season since the 2008 title year. If that isn't proof to you that you over-weigh the importance of recruiting, then such proof doesn't exist.

Don't try to dismiss my point with another completely incorrect comment about how I can't see the big picture or how my critical thinking isn't up to par, because it's clear to anyone reading the above post that I've given this a lot of "critical thought" and that my view is far more broad than your own.

Combine all the factors that go into making a good basketball TEAM with the fact that the recruit rankings and stars aren't even close to exact, and it's just asinine to get down on KU's recruiting failures because we OFFERED a kid who is the 40th-ranked recruit in his class. Completely ASININE.

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

True, from a relative perspective the classes we've brought in the last couple of years are something 98% of programs would die for.

By blueblood standards though, those classes have been below average.

I agree what is most likely to happen is better talent will be brought in the next few years to jump Peters/Lucas on the depth chart because immediate playing time will be available. but unless we go the UK route and load up on elite OAD talent, the guys that are going to back fill Peters/Lucas are going to take a year to reach peak performance.

basically we are going to be looking at a year with Lucas/Peters as upper classmen and some freshman that will perform equivalent to what we got from the Morri/Cole/Trob there freshman years.

thats going to be a down year.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

bennybob,

Unless Norm Roberts can really drag in some stellar bigs next season, I think your scenario of down stream risk makes sense.

There is one factor that neither you, nor marchphog, nor konky, have mentioned, however.

Self keeps getting better. He is hitting the fat part of his career curve. And he is flat out a better and more experienced coach with a more stable program than almost anyone he faces these days. Coach K and Fred Hoiberg were the only coaches that really put it to him last season. And it won't be long till Coach K is past his peak. Fred is a smarty, but he basically finessed Self with some NBA shizz he hadn't seen.

My point here is this: Self's talent could easily fall off just as you predict and he could still generate a sparkling record with lesser talent, as long as he can muster at least two difference makers/MUA types.

The really great coaches often go through periods where they are just so much better than other coaches that they can keep winning with less talent, as their age begins to make it more difficult to attract young players, or when corruption spikes and most of the great talent is being syphoned off by the "wrong way" guys. The latter is what seems to be happening to Self the last few seasons.

Last season in particular, Self simply coached circles around the other coaches that he ran into.

Heck, the fact of the Finals game against UK is that Cal could barely hold on to beat Self's welter weight team with six heavyweights.

That ought to tell everyone something about how good Self is now.

jack Hartman did it with two difference makers and smoke and mirrors the last ten years of his career.

Coach K has had a lot of good material the last five years, but he certainly has not had the best material. He just coaches circles around most of the guys that have the great material.

Ben Howland is a great example of a mediocre coach that had a great run of talent. He got to the Final Four three years in a row with great talent just as any competent, average coach would have with that kind of talent.

But when the talent thins out because of early departures, injuries, players that don't work out, and misses on recruiting, he falls to fifth place two out of the last three years. Howland isn't a good enough coach to win with only two, or three difference makers the way Jack Hartman and Bill Self can.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

I knock Bob Knight a lot, but the guy was head and shoulders better than most coaches of his time. If you look back at his rosters at TTech, no other coach in America, other than Coach K could have squeezed as many wins out of as he did. Knight was so good he could win quite a few games with only one difference maker with every game MUA.

Bill Self may be so good now that he can mask the problem you are probably correctly identifying and win a lot of games that he likely would not have won his first five years at KU.

Another thing: a great coach like Self actually benefits in an indirect way from a "wrong way" guy like Calipari cornering so much of the top talent.

With Cal getting all of these great players, it means one of them does not show up in the Big 12 conference. There are not Kevin Durants showing up at other Big 12 schools these days, so Self doesn't have to split with those schools. He can sweep the schools that don't have the Kevin Durants, if he simply has players about as good as what the other coaches have.

Regardless, I think you are onto something here, and you are pointing it out with appropriate levels of possibility, rather than marchphogs rather high degree of certainty about his position.

I think there are enough moving variables in play right now that it will take some time to see if Self's hire of Norm can help him dodge the bullet you are forecasting could possibly hit, and that marchphog is certain will not hit.

The 2011-2012 team was a great example. It seemed thin. It lacked Mickey Ds. It seemed inexperienced. But the "wrong way" guys outside the conference have vacuumed up so many of the difference makers that it worked out that the conference did not have any player that could truly stop KU even on one of KU's good nights. As a result, Self's edge in coaching skill could weigh in and tip the balance.

It could happen again, if the NCAA keeps letting the "wrong way" guys suck up all the talent to a few schools outside the conference.

On the other hand, if one of the "wrong way" guys shows up in the Big 12 and pulls in a couple of Kevin Durants, then no matter how great of a coach Bill Self is, his recruiting levels of the last few seasons are going to make him vulnerable to a "wrong way" guy.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

No offense Jaybate, but I don't think you really have a firm grasp on what my point truly was.

For starters, a large component of my argument depends on Coach Self's ability as a coach. So while I didn't specifically talk about Self's skills, I did infer that his ability was the difference when I mentioned that recruit rankings don't account for how a coach will shape a recruit to be better than his HS ranking. Obviously, this point--which is about player development--is slightly different than your point about Self being able to coach circles around any coach with comparable talent, but it all boils down to the fact that Self is the brains behind the Jayhawks, and has shown that he can be plenty successful without a stable of top-10 recruits.

I also think you may have the amount of "certainty" with which bennybob and myself believe in our respective points flip-flopped. I can't climb into bennybob's head and say how "certain" he is that we would have a down year as a direct result of recruting, but when he says things like this:

"we will not keep winning at that high level if this level of recruiting continues, a downturn is inevitable"

It seems like he is pretty darn positive that X will happen if Z continues to happen. Not sure where in the world you decided that he's merely raising the "possibility" of said scenario. It's certainly not his past history of comments on issues of recruiting, which have been similarly fatalistic.

I, on the other hand, am merely expressing the opinion that it is silly to get down on future team results based on something like offering a 40-something ranked kid a scholarship (since that is what started this whole exchange).

By no means am I suggesting that we don't need to recruit quality kids, or that we will continue to sustain record levels of success just because we have Self as our coach, or that any level of sustained success is "certain". Far from it, actually.

All I'm doing is asking that we spend the bulk of our teeth-gnashing about "failures" on ACTUAL failures, rather than things like getting recruits in the 30-50 range instead of the 1-20 range. These things go in cycles--Self will not be able to sustain this level of success, regardless of the ranking of his recruits, and Self will again land guys in the 1-20 range. It just seems like a lot of wasted energy to sit here wringing hands over POSSIBLE future outcomes based on recruiting "failures", especially after a season where we just watched a team full of recruiting "failures" go to the title game.

Obviously, 2011-12 was an exception, not the norm, but it still makes it seem kind of silly to waste energy stressing out about recruiting successes/failures in hindsight, no?

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

This is the kind of kid that has traditionally thrived at KU under Bill Self. A player in the 25-50 range like Robinson, the Twins, Cole Aldrich, Sasha Kaun, and Darnell Jackson who will be a 3-4 year player for KU and doesn't necessarily play very much their freshman season, but develop into very good players by their sophomore season and beyond. If KU can pry him away from Memphis because Memphis has been very good at keeping Memphis kids at home for the last decade or so, it would be huge for Self and someone who would be an impact player by the time he's a junior under Self.

Mel Clare 2 years, 2 months ago

What about this Rasheed Jordan kid? 5 star PG.............On phognet it says that we have offered him and he is very interested. Anyone know anything more than that?

Krohnutz 2 years, 2 months ago

Was it just me or was the coach hinting that he was going to North Carolina? If you only want to learn how to run up and down the court, absolutely, go to North Carolina.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 2 months ago

If you want to learn how to mix it up, come to KU. Glad to see you on board, Krohnutz. What do you think of the FSU/Clemson talk?

dylans 2 years, 2 months ago

Sounds like the coach loves Zeller and North Carolina. On a side note usually directional schools suck.

I am aware that the state is North Carolina and not Carolina. Just a joke for all you way to literal and serious folks.