Sunday, May 6, 2012

Former Xavier guard Mark Lyons to transfer to Arizona

Former Xavier University guard Mark Lyons committed to play basketball at the University of Arizona on Sunday.

Lyons visited Arizona over the weekend after a visit to Kentucky last week. He had said earlier he also planned on visiting Kansas University. Lyons told the Arizona Daily Star he had a “great connection” with UA coaches that led to his commitment.

Lyons was recruited to Xavier by current UA coach Sean Miller. He will be immediately eligible at Arizona after earning his undergraduate degree in coming weeks. He has one final year of eligibility remaining.

Comments

Lebowski 1 year, 11 months ago

A couple of you know I'm NOT the one who is going to keep my mouth shut if I don't like someone's character. But I'm sort of surprised at how much everyone is down on this kid. I understand that Self hasn't exactly proven he cares that much about a kids off the court track record, but I have to AT LEAST give the kid a little benefit of the doubt that the situation was SOOOO public and right there for everyone to see, yet Self still offered him an opportunity here.

Anyway... I too am not all that broken up about it... but in case you all haven't noticed... we're REEEEAL thin in the backcourt next year and Tharpe hasn't looked any better than a walk-on in a game that counted.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 11 months ago

The girls at 'Zona are smokin'. No doubt about it, not a bad choice, good luck to him.

Any new on Anrio Adams? All he needed was a passing ACT score right?

Apparently, he got good grades last year.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

"Some Reasons Mark Lyons Chose Aridzona"

~Has a Gila Monster fetish and wants to visit Gila Bend.

~The Arizona Republican party has done a lot for his people.

~Wants to take an online class in saguaro cactus preservation.

~Fell for old line that the Blue Note strip joint still uses UA coeds.

~Always wanted to drink heavily subsidized water from the CAP.

~Believes African Americans from the Big Apple do not sun burn.

~Just had to see a monsoon in a desert.

~Has never experienced life threatening dehydration and wants to.

~Wants to wear a helmet hair wig and meet Lute Olson.

~Has a Russ Pennell fixation and knows UA is within driving distance from Grand Canyon University.

~Heard the chimichangas are to die for.

~Wants to spend the weekends in Sedona consulting crystals about which NBA team will draft him.

~Got some bum advice that the drug war down at Nogales was over and the good guys won.

~Thought boys town in Nogales was a chance to work with kids.

~Didn't believe jumping cactus could really jump.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Does anyone think Sean Miller is one of the guys trying to do it the right way? :-)

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Mark Lyons needs chose Stumpy Miller? Again?

Mark, one definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing with the same bad outcome and expecting it to come out differently.

Dr. Sigmund jaybate has an open slot on his schedule, if you want help.

tbbucboy21 1 year, 11 months ago

we dont want any1 from that team of gangstas lol what a joke that kid made of himself during and after that brawl

AZHawk72 1 year, 11 months ago

The article stated that he "connected" with the coaches. No, he "re-connected," which is why this whole exercise was a joke, as stated from the get-go. Well, Miller ran off two talented freshman last year, and this kid has the maturity of a freshman. I don't think he'll last the year out. His last game should be the UCLA road game when Miller asks, "Who do you want to guard, Anderson or Shabazz?"

"I quit! I'm going to Europe!"

Good.

Jaminrawk 1 year, 11 months ago

The girls in AZ are attractive. I've seen "He Got Game". Only explanation why people keep picking that NIT program.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 11 months ago

Glad and not surprised. Seems best for all concerned.

I understand what people are saying about our depth at the PG next year, but if Adams qualifies and comes here then I think we're fine (with him as a possible 3rd option). We're not always gonna have 3 bona fide PGs every year. Let's get Tharpe ready to be an A-1 back-up this coming season and capable of starting the next year, and recruit a PG in the class of '13.

I'm 100% confident in EJ. Two seasons ago when TT was suspended for a couple of games EJ started and did a better-than-adequate job--and that was a LONG time ago. It's his team to lead.

RCJH

foreverJAYHAWKfan 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm glad for his decision. I think Tharpe learned a ton over this past season and will be much improved next year. I also just saw Adams has his twitter back up and it says 2012 commit, signed by his profile for whatever that means. Adams is one helluva baller and may see a lot of time if Tharpe is having troubles. I just hope he actually makes it to Lawrence.

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 11 months ago

Similar situation as Crist following HCCW. I don't criticize his decision. We'll be fine.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 11 months ago

What's this? A kid would rather play for Sean Miller than Coach Cal?

But, Cal just won the Nationl Championship! Shouldn't every player, first year or last year want to play for him?

Oh yeah, Cal only wants "one and done" First Year guys.

It takes a special kind of coach to coach a kid with one year of eligibility left, right?. Sean Miller knows what he's getting and he must think this will somehow be good for his team at this particular time. Who knows, who cares!

Brandon Pope 1 year, 11 months ago

Thank goodness. I did not want him in a Kansas uniform at all. Dodged a bullet on that one.

kujh1970 1 year, 11 months ago

This is definitely no loss.. I live in the Cincinnati area and this guy was always a problem. I don't why KU was even trying to get this guy. He would have never fit into Bill Self's system.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 11 months ago

I think it would have been a surprise if he said after this weekend he was going to schedule a visit to KU. That being said, I do think we could use some depth at point guard.

Naadir I think will be solid and I know that EJ can do the point as well, but let's be honest there is a reason why TT was the point guard this past year.

I'm nost saying that if we don't get a PG or more depth at the position we will struggle, what I'm saying is I'd like to see some depth at the position.

I don't think Lyons was our answer.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

This falls in the line of surprising predictions such as the sun will rise tomorrow, Calipari will cheat again and Baylor's "banana" uniforms will still be ugly.

As I predicted last week, "date to visit Kansas to be determined" translated .."adios"

Too many bodies at Kansas to compete with for maximum playing time, AAU Coach will be his roommate at Arizona and UK wouldn't kick in the Cadillac Escalade!!

Adam Gerval 1 year, 11 months ago

Good. I'm fine with that. I really don't care for players who get in brawls during games then refer to themselves as gangsters afterwards.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 11 months ago

That was the only logical destination for Lyons; not surprising at all.

bradynsdad 1 year, 11 months ago

Good. I am sure he is a good player but I would rather put our stock into naadir. I just didn't see much playing time for this kid. Does anyone have any info on the IU/KU series maybe happening. It was reported on here dead but two days later IU said the deal with UK was over and Andy Katz said IU might want KU back on the schedule.