Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Xavier transfer visits UK

Former Xavier University combo guard Mark Lyons, who recently said he had not set dates for any campus visits, actually visited Kentucky’s campus on Monday, CBSsports.com reports.

The 6-foot-1 junior said he will visit Arizona this weekend and Kansas University at a yet-to-be-determined date.

Lyons told the Arizona Daily Star he will be able to graduate after completing an online course in 2 1/2 weeks. That means he’ll be able to transfer to KU, UK or U of A as a graduate student and be able to play next season.

He told the Cincinnati Enquirer his leaving Xavier was a “business decision.” He was ticketed to play shooting guard, not point guard next season.

“There aren’t a lot of 6-1 shooting guards in the NBA,” Lyons told the Cincinnati Enquirer. He averaged 15.1 points and 2.8 assists per game last season.

Harris coming to town: Damontre Harris, a 6-9, 215-pound sophomore who has said he will transfer from South Carolina to either KU, Florida, VCU or Marquette, will visit KU Thursday through Saturday following his current visit to Florida. Harris averaged 6.8 points and 5.5 boards per game a year ago.

Adams waiting for test score: Anrio Adams, a 6-3 senior combo guard from Seattle’s Rainier Beach High, has not yet signed his national letter-of-intent with KU as he continues to wait for the results of a standardized test. The signing period ends on May 16. “I just need to get the proper score to qualify,” KU commit Adams told jayhawkslant.com.

Tulsa talk: New Tulsa coach Danny Manning has named UMKC assistant Wendell Moore to a full-time coaching position on his staff. He joins former KU players Steve Woodberry and Brett Ballard. Former KU manager Justin Bauman is director of basketball operations. Former Tulsa guard Jordan Clarkson told CBSsports.com he will visit Missouri and Illinois.

Comments

tbbucboy21 2 years, 7 months ago

enjoy the recruiting updates keep it going please!!

Alohahawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Good luck, Anrio. The Jayhawk Nation is rooting that your scores pass the grade. Would be great to get you on campus this summer to play some pickup with the guys.

Since KU has good rapport with some of the top ranked "bigs" in the 2013 class, I'd say pass on Harris. He couldn't participate this coming season anyway. And who knows, there's a good chance one of the new recruits or Jamari will fill this coming season's needs down low.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 7 months ago

Just tell me when Lyons commits to UK or Arizona.

Like the idea of a having a big in waiting. I am sure he wil be blown away when he visits...curious to see where that goes. UF and VCU since they are on the rise must be compelling also. I am sure Frank is recruiting his own player hard too.m showing up outside his dorm room serenading him with the school song and taking him to candlelight dinners at the student cafeteria.

bradynsdad 2 years, 7 months ago

Andy Katz says the KU/IU deal fell through and now self is trying to find a quality home and home game to schedule. That really stinks, I was looking forward to a game with Indiana. I wonder if Roy is just worried he would get booed in Allen Field House? Keep up the recruiting updates!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 7 months ago

My strong belief is that Roy loves KU, and does not want to compete against us. He has said he doesn't want to come into Allen as a visiting coach. I doubt he's worried about being booed .. any intelligent fan .. and KU has a lot of them, would certainly cheer for Roy. He gave us 15 years of terrific basketball. I think something that might influence him to actually schedule the game would be the incredible ovation he would certainly receive.

bradynsdad 2 years, 6 months ago

HEM I think your right about Roy. I Am a fan that was thrilled by self when he got here I just meant there are some crazy fans who might boo him. We do need another great home and home. Duke probably would be the next best option, maybe Syracuse.

texashawk10 2 years, 6 months ago

It won't be Duke because of the Champions Classic and Syracuse rarely leaves the state of New York for non preseason tournament games. Personally, I would like to see KU schedule a series with someone like Georgetown, Maryland, Villanova, or St. John's. Teams that are consistently good, but not so good as to where they would dominate KU and they are all in areas that KU has been trying to recruit heavily. Miami, UGA, Georgia Tech, Michigan, Ohio St. would also be good teams to start and annual series with because those are schools in good recruiting areas and games that would be on national TV to help boost KU's exposure even more.

Keith Kienzle 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't think any team will dominate KU. Well, except for Kentucky this year. I mean any amateur team.

brooksmd 2 years, 6 months ago

He proved his love for KU when he wore the KU sticker during the 2008 NC game, much to the chagrin of UNC fans.

JayHok 2 years, 6 months ago

Why not Duke? That was a nice little home and home Coach K and LB had going in '87 and '88 not to mention the mid 80's great Alaskan shootout, the '86 F4 and the '88 F4.

If any two teams could handle stealing some of the spotlight back from the Lexington Pepperoni Cashmob, it's Kansas and Duke.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 6 months ago

My years at KU from 85-88 were filled with high profile teams visiting Lawrence. In 86, we played Duke twice, and Louisville twice, the finalists in 86. Kentucky, St. Johns (a great program back then) were among other very strong teams visiting Lawrence and us playing at their place.

theend 2 years, 6 months ago

I would not boo Roy if he showed up......but I sure as heck will never clap or cheer for him either. Sorry......no way.

brooksmd 2 years, 6 months ago

I will when he coaches against Cali-sleazy.

RJ King 2 years, 6 months ago

How about Louisville? Memphis? Notre Dame? Purdue? Wisconsin? Marquette? Those would all have a regional flavor.

I'd love to play Florida home and away.

Is our Pac 12 series still contracted?

Alohahawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Way back when, late 50's and early 60's(?), I think KU and Louisville used to play regularly. Problem with that matchup now is (probably) Rick Patino. After that KU vs Kenstinky game in which KU scored 150 pts, I doubt he ever wants to play KU again, unless it's in the NCAA tournament. I'd like to see it happen, though.

The others you mention are all good teams which would test KU, and definitely get TV exposure. Maryland would be great, and I could see Turgeon wanting to bring a team to his alma mater. Tulsa would have been great, but I would imagine that Danny would like to get established before embarking down that road. Overall, I think the biggest problem is that just about every top high-major is scared to play in AFH. They assume it will be an automatic loss. (Which, of course, is pretty much true.)

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 6 months ago

Looks like the Kentucky-Indiana series might not happen either. Apparently the squid wants the games played in big arenas in Indianapolis and Louisville instead of campuses; Crean and Indiana fans will have none of it. The squid's ego knows no limits. So, maybe the KU-IU series might happen after all.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't think Roy would be booed..at least not by those who know how much good he did for KU basketball.

But HEM is exactly right.."he doesn't want to come into Allen as a visiting coach".

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

Things that come to my twisted mind when I read this article;

1] I'm guessing the X-Man is waitng for the Kentucky check to clear before he commits!

2] Let me translate the "recruitese" phrase "yet-to-be-determined date" for you all. " Thanks for asking, but forget about seeing me on your campus. Adios."

3] At least Mark isn't doing the hat dance thing.

4] Gee, I guess he talk a wrong turn at the cafeteria and ended up in Lexington. [To be fair, however, UK is only about a 1 hour, 40 minute drive from Xavier]

5] Arizona will have to up the ante after Mark's visit with Calislimy.

6] If Mark actually gets to Kansas for a visit and interacts with everyone, items 1 through 5 may well be negated...........nnaawww!!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

Mark, if you actully read this post, ignore the one above.....his evil twin took over his body for a moment.

Wildcats suck...Jayhawks rule!!!!

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 6 months ago

I like your evil twin. What happened to funhawk? I can hear him now...'evil twins are fun!'

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Mark Lyons makes clear he has to be the starting PG; that clarifies things.

Unless EJ's knee is a real mess, there is no place for him at KU.

Mark Lyons, we hardly knew ye. :-)

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't know about that. While a guy like Tharpe is a true point guard, I've never really thought of Self as having to have a true point. Two ball-handlers on the court is pretty common and I'd say expected. Couldn't you see him coming in, starting alongside EJ in a lineup where both are more combo guards?

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

It could work for Self, but I don't see it working for Lyons.

He sounds like he's paid his dues off the point and he's ready to run the show.

Just business, as he said.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

Ok, this just in...

EJ's knee is faaaaaaaantastic!

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 6 months ago

rockchalk1990 makes a good point although I feel Tyshawn and Sherron were true PGs. Plus I'm thinking (okay - assuming) EJ would rather stay at the 2 where he has played the majority of his career.

Lyons gives Self options and I don't think any coach promises a starting position..could be wrong.

John Randall 2 years, 6 months ago

Prepping for finals, where all student-athletes should be.

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 7 months ago

Doesn't feel like a 'Self/Kansas-kind-of-guy' to me

chalky 2 years, 7 months ago

Kinda sounds like his "business decision" is to find a school that will showcase his skills for the next level...

Sam Constance 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't know about that.

If this was a freshman coming in with that attitude, I'd be skeptical. But as a senior who has played three years (at a position that doesn't showcase his talents as well for the next level) and has earned a degree, it's a little different.

He's at a point where he NEEDS to be able to showcase his abilities if he wants to play at the next level. He's put in the work to have earned that chance.

I think those are things that Self probably recognizes as well--and I think given his comments earlier this season about wanting another PG, it sounds like he thinks a KU/Lyons relationship would be beneficial for all parties.

Lyons gets to show his skills at the position he projects to in the NBA KU gets an experienced ballhandler that won't hinder future recruits' potential playing time

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 6 months ago

You know you are dying of thirst in the desert when you get super excited for an update on Adams that basically says there is nothing new to update us on.

Joe Baker 2 years, 6 months ago

Lyons, who will finish Xavier’s spring semester on Friday and be eligible to play immediately next year, also plans a visit to Kansas, but no date has been set. By Adam Zagoria on May 01, 2012, 7:19PM

Why waste space on a non-committed player. Let's use the space on Rio. A recruit who committed and is waiting to sign Loi. Please drop Lyons like a hot potato. Please post some Rio vids or interviews and get us ready for his signing date.

texashawk10 2 years, 6 months ago

Even if Rio makes a high enough ACT score to get into KU, he attended 3 high schools just like McLemore and Traylor and is going to need the same clearance those two needed this past season to play next year. At this point, I wouldn't bank on Adams being eligible to play for KU next year even if he's on campus and enrolled at KU.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 6 months ago

No love from the NCAA for Kansas..just ask Justin McCay.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 6 months ago

I think Lyons will see at UK he's not guaranteed much of anything, at Arizona Miller will guarantee him a lot and he'll probably stop there

Demontre Harris would be much more enticing if we weren't on so many lists for next year. He seems like the type of person who would be best suited with as many years of cbb as possible to try to work his way into the pros, which to me makes transferring a good option. It's not like Frank Martin has a ton of experience putting bigs in the NBA and can tell him how he'll get him there. I say a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, if KU can get him it's a nice addition for our post-Withey team

Definitely a shame if IU-KU series couldn't be worked out. Really don't understand why that would have been the case. Assembly Hall is the only other "midnight madness" I've attended back in the Bobby Knight days. The passion for basketball is unparalleled in Indiana. Place was packed and all Knight would do is run drills basically. With all the conference realignments KU could really use as many of these high-profile matchups as possible. I don't know who dropped the ball, but they should go right back after it and make this happen. Playing UK every year on a neutral court, UNC every year on a neutral court and home and homes with IU, Duke and UCLA would all be ideal. Home and homes with Maryland wouldn't be a bad thing either. Not expecting we can make all those work out, but as many as possible would have to be good for KU BBall.

John Randall 2 years, 6 months ago

While it's not likely to happen, even good things (like home-home with top teams) can be overdone. Most teams will be leery of The Phog in preseason, and that's very understandable, so it will be hard to arrange even one or two of those.

theend 2 years, 6 months ago

No place for Lyons here......EJ will be awesome next year......Rel too.

Joe Baker 2 years, 6 months ago

I love this kid. He's definitely a point guard. Don't know where some of you get combo guard.

href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...: 2012 Anrio Adams Highlight Reel by PointguardUcom

brooksmd 2 years, 6 months ago

I guess the check and scholarship papers showed up early.

FarSideHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

The 7-ft Pole has landed in Zags-land, just as expected.

RJ King 2 years, 6 months ago

And there, he can be the next Adam Morrison.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 6 months ago

As I posted in a previous thread:

My question is: Is this the type of players HCBS wants?

Does HCBS ever hand the "keys to the car" to anyone? Do we want a player that comes because is the better "business decision"? At 6'1" Lyons can only play PG in the NBA. He is looking for a place where he can "play a major role," i.e. run the show, get extensive playing time, and showcase his talent for NBA scouts. I don't believe KU is that place.

My question is still the same : why would we want this player at KU?

FarSideHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't want Lyons here.

I think people are way over-playing EJ's knee issue. It was just a scope people! Not an ACL/MCL tear!

I also think that people are way under-estimating Naadir Tharpe for next year.

With the rotation of EJ, Naadir, BenMac, White, Releford, and hopefully Adams, we have plenty of depth at the Guard position.

Another point guard is not going to add much in his first year, especially in the highly-structured Self-Ball. I'm more afraid about the potential downsides with the chemistry issues, instead of the depth upside.

Don't think he'll end up here anyway.

Adam James 2 years, 6 months ago

Tharpe will be our guy from day one when October hits. The only thing that could change this will be if he gets injured or EJ takes his spot. There has been all of the press info on Lyons being interested, but that doesn't mean Self will give him the spot. Right now it is NT's position to lose. Lyons won't end up here anyway, because Self with be real with him and let him know he will have to earn his spot. The only two guys that will see major time at the point next year will be Tharpe or EJ. Other than Tyshawn, when has Self had a freshman come in and run his team at the PG position. Really the year he let TT play point guard our team was loaded with veterans. Sherron came in and played a little point, but he was rotated. If Tharpe doesn't get the job, then EJ goes to point and McLemore plays the 2 with Releford and Ellis playing the other two spots. Here is how I see things shaking out next year from day 1.

PG: Tharpe SG: Johnson
SF: McLemore PF: Ellis C: Withey

Releford will be 6th man

Not is order of depth: Adams, Peters, Wesley, Traylor , Young, Garrett, Roberts, Lucas, White

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 6 months ago

I see Releford starting all of next year..Ben and others might play more minutes but Travis starts.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 6 months ago

Andrew White is going to surprise a lot of people..He could be the gem of the class.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 6 months ago

"I can say this "entire incoming crew" is definitely Bill Self-type raw material. Whenever the lightbulb comes on for each player is the grand anticipation..."

BINGO!

And with the 2 recruits in 2013, I see a great championship run in the next few years.

Ted Hume 2 years, 6 months ago

finally, a spot-on lineup analysis- especially the observation on the "big 3" / beast 4 vs. finesse 4 option...

kudos, ralster

TexasHawk44 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh mighty JayBate: how full your cup runneth over with crap. How many foolish rats follow your ridiculous tune is dumbfounding. You are the equivalent to a whoopie cushion: good for a one time laugh for a 12-year old with a face-full of pimples. What's sad is that there are so many 12-year olds who hang on your every blast of hot stinky air on this site... BTW, how is the trailer park these days?

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 6 months ago

Dedicating your entire post to jaybate makes me wonder why?

Its so easy to not read the comments made by someone, it makes me wonder why you seem read his every word?

You also seem to be fixated with 12 year old and that really makes me wonder why?

Ted Hume 2 years, 6 months ago

Bitter because you just couldn't get through anything from Derrida to Leaves of Grass, Tex?

Not sure the 12 year old crowd follows too much of bates' underpinnings...

John Randall 2 years, 6 months ago

Jealousy, thy name is TexasHawk44.

JayBate is so full of himself and his verbosity at the keyboard, it is both easy and tempting to disregard the amount of knowledge and understanding he brings to this board. The guy knows almost as much as yours truly, and can put it into the kind of English you aren't ashamed to read – then goes on to clumsily embellish it all until you are ashamed to read more than a sentence of each paragraph. Real shame his hubris keeps him from becoming so good we all wait for his next epiphany.

Sam Finocchiaro 2 years, 6 months ago

Lyons seems a bit out of character. Not sure if I want him anymore...

kujh1970 2 years, 6 months ago

Are we to think we are honored to have this guy consider KU? Who is recruiting who?