Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Xavier transfer visits UK

Former Xavier University combo guard Mark Lyons, who recently said he had not set dates for any campus visits, actually visited Kentucky’s campus on Monday, CBSsports.com reports.

The 6-foot-1 junior said he will visit Arizona this weekend and Kansas University at a yet-to-be-determined date.

Lyons told the Arizona Daily Star he will be able to graduate after completing an online course in 2 1/2 weeks. That means he’ll be able to transfer to KU, UK or U of A as a graduate student and be able to play next season.

He told the Cincinnati Enquirer his leaving Xavier was a “business decision.” He was ticketed to play shooting guard, not point guard next season.

“There aren’t a lot of 6-1 shooting guards in the NBA,” Lyons told the Cincinnati Enquirer. He averaged 15.1 points and 2.8 assists per game last season.

Harris coming to town: Damontre Harris, a 6-9, 215-pound sophomore who has said he will transfer from South Carolina to either KU, Florida, VCU or Marquette, will visit KU Thursday through Saturday following his current visit to Florida. Harris averaged 6.8 points and 5.5 boards per game a year ago.

Adams waiting for test score: Anrio Adams, a 6-3 senior combo guard from Seattle’s Rainier Beach High, has not yet signed his national letter-of-intent with KU as he continues to wait for the results of a standardized test. The signing period ends on May 16. “I just need to get the proper score to qualify,” KU commit Adams told jayhawkslant.com.

Tulsa talk: New Tulsa coach Danny Manning has named UMKC assistant Wendell Moore to a full-time coaching position on his staff. He joins former KU players Steve Woodberry and Brett Ballard. Former KU manager Justin Bauman is director of basketball operations. Former Tulsa guard Jordan Clarkson told CBSsports.com he will visit Missouri and Illinois.

Comments

kujh1970 1 year, 11 months ago

Are we to think we are honored to have this guy consider KU? Who is recruiting who?

Sam Finocchiaro 1 year, 11 months ago

Lyons seems a bit out of character. Not sure if I want him anymore...

John Randall 1 year, 11 months ago

Jealousy, thy name is TexasHawk44.

JayBate is so full of himself and his verbosity at the keyboard, it is both easy and tempting to disregard the amount of knowledge and understanding he brings to this board. The guy knows almost as much as yours truly, and can put it into the kind of English you aren't ashamed to read – then goes on to clumsily embellish it all until you are ashamed to read more than a sentence of each paragraph. Real shame his hubris keeps him from becoming so good we all wait for his next epiphany.

AsadZ 1 year, 11 months ago

Nice article on Ben M

I am really looking forward to see him in action

TexasHawk44 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh mighty JayBate: how full your cup runneth over with crap. How many foolish rats follow your ridiculous tune is dumbfounding. You are the equivalent to a whoopie cushion: good for a one time laugh for a 12-year old with a face-full of pimples. What's sad is that there are so many 12-year olds who hang on your every blast of hot stinky air on this site... BTW, how is the trailer park these days?

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Just speculating: 1-combo guard: EJ (backup: Tharpe), bench depth: Adams. Forget Lyons. 2-combo: BMac (backup: White), bench depth: Adams wing: Releford (backup: White), situational backup/"big pkg": Ellis (we know...) 4-forward: Hmm, what will Self do: "beast 4" with Traylor, or agile-skillz with Ellis vs. Young (this will be a battle, they may split time.) bench: Lucas vs. Wesley.
5-forward/center: Withey's moment in the sun. Traylor subs when he isnt in at the 4. Lucas could offer a few breather minutes, if he can offer anything positive beyond Justin Wesley.

Adam James 1 year, 11 months ago

Tharpe will be our guy from day one when October hits. The only thing that could change this will be if he gets injured or EJ takes his spot. There has been all of the press info on Lyons being interested, but that doesn't mean Self will give him the spot. Right now it is NT's position to lose. Lyons won't end up here anyway, because Self with be real with him and let him know he will have to earn his spot. The only two guys that will see major time at the point next year will be Tharpe or EJ. Other than Tyshawn, when has Self had a freshman come in and run his team at the PG position. Really the year he let TT play point guard our team was loaded with veterans. Sherron came in and played a little point, but he was rotated. If Tharpe doesn't get the job, then EJ goes to point and McLemore plays the 2 with Releford and Ellis playing the other two spots. Here is how I see things shaking out next year from day 1.

PG: Tharpe SG: Johnson
SF: McLemore PF: Ellis C: Withey

Releford will be 6th man

Not is order of depth: Adams, Peters, Wesley, Traylor , Young, Garrett, Roberts, Lucas, White

FarSideHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't want Lyons here.

I think people are way over-playing EJ's knee issue. It was just a scope people! Not an ACL/MCL tear!

I also think that people are way under-estimating Naadir Tharpe for next year.

With the rotation of EJ, Naadir, BenMac, White, Releford, and hopefully Adams, we have plenty of depth at the Guard position.

Another point guard is not going to add much in his first year, especially in the highly-structured Self-Ball. I'm more afraid about the potential downsides with the chemistry issues, instead of the depth upside.

Don't think he'll end up here anyway.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 11 months ago

As I posted in a previous thread:

My question is: Is this the type of players HCBS wants?

Does HCBS ever hand the "keys to the car" to anyone? Do we want a player that comes because is the better "business decision"? At 6'1" Lyons can only play PG in the NBA. He is looking for a place where he can "play a major role," i.e. run the show, get extensive playing time, and showcase his talent for NBA scouts. I don't believe KU is that place.

My question is still the same : why would we want this player at KU?

FarSideHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

The 7-ft Pole has landed in Zags-land, just as expected.

brooksmd 1 year, 11 months ago

I guess the check and scholarship papers showed up early.

theend 1 year, 11 months ago

No place for Lyons here......EJ will be awesome next year......Rel too.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't want Lyons, unless maybe Adams doesn't qualify, which I hope he does. My guess is that he's failed the ACT/SAT at least once already since he's taking it so late. Good luck Rio! Would love to have you on the team!!!

I like Harris. We've whiffed on Centers recently and that lack of depth may hurt us down the road. I'm just not confident that we will get a good one soon, and he seems like a nice replacement for Withey. I am excited about Lucas, but Harris seems to have a different skill set and two more years of experience; they could be a good compliment to each other. I won't sweat it if we don't get Harris, but I am a bit worried about our Bigs situation in the future. We've been so spoiled with marquee players and I don't want to lose that edge. If it takes quantity and development to counter all the highly-ranked post players, then let's do it.

RCJH

phogphan2000 1 year, 11 months ago

I think Lyons will see at UK he's not guaranteed much of anything, at Arizona Miller will guarantee him a lot and he'll probably stop there

Demontre Harris would be much more enticing if we weren't on so many lists for next year. He seems like the type of person who would be best suited with as many years of cbb as possible to try to work his way into the pros, which to me makes transferring a good option. It's not like Frank Martin has a ton of experience putting bigs in the NBA and can tell him how he'll get him there. I say a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, if KU can get him it's a nice addition for our post-Withey team

Definitely a shame if IU-KU series couldn't be worked out. Really don't understand why that would have been the case. Assembly Hall is the only other "midnight madness" I've attended back in the Bobby Knight days. The passion for basketball is unparalleled in Indiana. Place was packed and all Knight would do is run drills basically. With all the conference realignments KU could really use as many of these high-profile matchups as possible. I don't know who dropped the ball, but they should go right back after it and make this happen. Playing UK every year on a neutral court, UNC every year on a neutral court and home and homes with IU, Duke and UCLA would all be ideal. Home and homes with Maryland wouldn't be a bad thing either. Not expecting we can make all those work out, but as many as possible would have to be good for KU BBall.

Joe Baker 1 year, 11 months ago

Lyons, who will finish Xavier’s spring semester on Friday and be eligible to play immediately next year, also plans a visit to Kansas, but no date has been set. By Adam Zagoria on May 01, 2012, 7:19PM

Why waste space on a non-committed player. Let's use the space on Rio. A recruit who committed and is waiting to sign Loi. Please drop Lyons like a hot potato. Please post some Rio vids or interviews and get us ready for his signing date.

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 11 months ago

You know you are dying of thirst in the desert when you get super excited for an update on Adams that basically says there is nothing new to update us on.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 11 months ago

Doesn't feel like a 'Self/Kansas-kind-of-guy' to me

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Whither Merv Lindsey these days?

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Mark Lyons makes clear he has to be the starting PG; that clarifies things.

Unless EJ's knee is a real mess, there is no place for him at KU.

Mark Lyons, we hardly knew ye. :-)

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

Things that come to my twisted mind when I read this article;

1] I'm guessing the X-Man is waitng for the Kentucky check to clear before he commits!

2] Let me translate the "recruitese" phrase "yet-to-be-determined date" for you all. " Thanks for asking, but forget about seeing me on your campus. Adios."

3] At least Mark isn't doing the hat dance thing.

4] Gee, I guess he talk a wrong turn at the cafeteria and ended up in Lexington. [To be fair, however, UK is only about a 1 hour, 40 minute drive from Xavier]

5] Arizona will have to up the ante after Mark's visit with Calislimy.

6] If Mark actually gets to Kansas for a visit and interacts with everyone, items 1 through 5 may well be negated...........nnaawww!!!

bradynsdad 1 year, 11 months ago

Andy Katz says the KU/IU deal fell through and now self is trying to find a quality home and home game to schedule. That really stinks, I was looking forward to a game with Indiana. I wonder if Roy is just worried he would get booed in Allen Field House? Keep up the recruiting updates!

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 11 months ago

Just tell me when Lyons commits to UK or Arizona.

Like the idea of a having a big in waiting. I am sure he wil be blown away when he visits...curious to see where that goes. UF and VCU since they are on the rise must be compelling also. I am sure Frank is recruiting his own player hard too.m showing up outside his dorm room serenading him with the school song and taking him to candlelight dinners at the student cafeteria.

Alohahawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Good luck, Anrio. The Jayhawk Nation is rooting that your scores pass the grade. Would be great to get you on campus this summer to play some pickup with the guys.

Since KU has good rapport with some of the top ranked "bigs" in the 2013 class, I'd say pass on Harris. He couldn't participate this coming season anyway. And who knows, there's a good chance one of the new recruits or Jamari will fill this coming season's needs down low.

tbbucboy21 1 year, 11 months ago

enjoy the recruiting updates keep it going please!!