Originally published May 2, 2012 at 04:14p.m., updated May 3, 2012 at 12:00a.m.

Appeal unsuccessful: NCAA denies hardship waiver for KU WR Justin McCay

Oklahoma transfer and Kansas City native will sit out 2012 season

Receiver Justin McCay, a transfer from Oklahoma, listens as his teammates answer questions on Monday, Jan. 16, 2012 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Not yet.

So says the NCAA, which on Wednesday, after an appeal heard by the Subcommittee for Legislative Relief, denied the hardship waiver requested by Kansas University wide receiver Justin McCay, making the sophomore ineligible to play during the upcoming season.

“Today we received notice from the subcommittee that they rejected Justin McCay’s appeal to be able to play immediately,” KU coach Charlie Weis said. “They informed our compliance officer that there wasn’t that one catastrophic event evident to rule in his favor. I’m extremely disappointed that common sense did not prevail. I have read all of the information on this case, and it is a shame that this case resulted in a rejection. I cannot release all of the details of Justin’s case as it would be an invasion of his privacy. I can only say that the University of Kansas felt the evidence was overwhelmingly in his favor. I also do not understand why the NCAA had us appeal this case to the subcommittee only to have received the same answer with the same rationale.”

The news came after a highly publicized couple of weeks of waiting. On April 20, the NCAA informed KU officials and Weis that it would not give McCay the waiver, but, in the same breath, recommended that KU appeal the ruling.

After jumping through more hoops and filling out more paperwork, McCay filed his appeal on April 24. At that point, the subcommittee had a week to review the case, and, on Wednesday, the request was denied for a second time.

“This is a very disappointing day for me and my family,” McCay said. “I was very hopeful throughout the process that I would receive a more favorable result, but unfortunately that is not how things turned out. I am so grateful to all of the people who worked so hard on my behalf throughout this process. First of all, I would like to thank the compliance staff at KU for all of the effort they put in to submitting my waiver request. I would also like to thank the athletics director at the University of Oklahoma, Joe Castiglione, for his assistance and support. Lastly, I would like to thank Coach Weis, the entire KU staff and all of my teammates in supporting me during this process. It was a long, difficult process, and I truly appreciate all of the support they gave me along the way."

McCay, a former five-star prospect from Roeland Park’s Bishop Miege High who participated in the U.S. Army All-American game as a senior, signed with Oklahoma out of high school and red-shirted during the 2010 season. He played only sparingly last season and chose to transfer to KU at the start of the spring semester because of a desire to be closer to his family and his hometown.

Despite the ruling going against him, McCay said he would not change his path.

“I have no regrets,” he said. “I am very happy to be at Kansas, and I am going to go out and work hard every day to be the best teammate I can be. Even though I won’t be playing in games this year, I am going to take advantage of every opportunity I have to improve as a player.”

McCay, 6-foot-2, 215 pounds, will sit out the 2012 season but will be allowed to practice. He will be eligible to play again in 2013 as a junior and will have two years remaining.

McCay was listed on KU’s pre-spring depth chart as a second-string receiver, behind senior Kale Pick.

Spikes lands tryout with Saints

Former Kansas University offensive lineman Jeff Spikes has been invited to the New Orleans Saints’ rookie camp, Spikes told the Journal-World on Wednesday.

The 6-foot-6, 325-pound lineman spent most of his time at Kansas playing tackle. After red-shirting in 2007, Spikes started 13 games during the 2008 season and earned a spot on Phil Steele’s freshman All-American third team. In 2009, Spikes played all 12 games and started 10, two at right guard and eight at right tackle. He missed the 2010 season because of an injury to his Achilles tendon and returned in 2011 to start all 12 games at left tackle.

Spikes becomes the third member of KU’s Class of 2012 to draw interest from an NFL team, joining teammates Steven Johnson (LB, Denver) and Tim Biere (TE, Kansas City), who each signed last weekend as undrafted free agents.

Spikes has not signed with the Saints yet but said he was looking forward to getting the opportunity to earn a spot at training camp.

“It’s basically a job interview,” Spikes said of his invite to rookie camp.

No takers for Hatch

Fellow offensive lineman Jeremiah Hatch, who, like Spikes, had started games on KU’s offensive line since the 2008 season, said Wednesday he had not yet been invited to an NFL rookie camp.

Hatch, 6-3, 300, battled weight issues and injuries throughout his time at Kansas, and capped off his college career with 21 starts, including all 12 at center during the 2011 season. He was one of four team captains last season.

Comments

JayDocMD 2 years, 2 months ago

The NCAA hates KU. I hate the NCAA. That is all.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 2 months ago

Agreed. Now, had there been $180,000 involved, then that would've been excused. The NCAA is as corruptable as the institutions they are supposed to monitor. I have them as bad as you, Doc.

JayHok 2 years, 2 months ago

Meanwhile Anthony Davis will be drafted #1 in the NBA. When asked an employee at the NCAA said "four months wasn't enough time to give Anthony Davis, or his father's bank account, a fair invesigation."

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 2 months ago

Go over to Columbia and kick some tail.

FSUJHAWK 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm not sure the NCAA hates KU. I think they are simply incompetent and a philosophical fraud.

This young man seems to have his head on right in more ways than one. Hopefully he will use this as major motivation to excel.

Keep your head up Sir.

RCJHGKU!!!

VaJay 2 years, 2 months ago

+1. Your second sentence nails it.

hawk316 2 years, 2 months ago

Ouch! Not at all what I was hoping for. Justin, I applaud you for your great attitude. Keep your head up and work your tail off this year to get better. Then, explode onto the scene for an astonishing junior and senior year.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

This just in - Bob Bowlsby named Commissioner of Big 12 Conference. Stanford's Director of Athletics to leave position after six years. Bob Bowlsby who has served as Stanford's Jaquish and Kenninger Director of Athletics since April 2006 will leave the university next month to assume a new post as commissioner of the Big 12 Conference.

From acting President John Etchemendy,

"Bob has been an extraordinary advocate for our student athletes and has enhanced Stanford's programs both athletically and academically. Bob has a deep knowledge about collegiate athletics and a commitment to integrity in all that he does. He had laid a tremendous foundation from which Stanford can continue to build. We're sorry to see him go, but his is a tremendous opportunity for him, and we wish him and the Big 12 all the best."

Bowlsby worked closely with pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott in shaping the conferences' groundbreaking multimedia rights agreement that will extend through 2023.

Bowlsby also has presided over the resurgence of Stanford's football program After seven consecutive losing seasons from 2002 to 2008, the Cardinal has made bowl trips in each of the last three season.

more to come. Sounds like a great hire!

JayhawksandHerd 2 years, 2 months ago

"I’m extremely disappointed that common sense did not prevail."

Well, this is the NCAA we're talking about. Common sense has never been their strong suit.

Jace FitzGibbon 2 years, 2 months ago

the ncaa is the dumbest organization to exist. mccay cant play this season yet cam newton got to play the in the national title game when it was known his dad selling his son to the highest bidder. what a joke

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 2 months ago

hope charlie doesnt get fined for that comment

LAJayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't think Charlie gives a crap if he gets fined or not. He's sticking up for his kids, as he 100% should. And he's absolutely right. They toyed around with everybody including a 20-year-old student athlete whom they are supposed to be trying to protect.

The NCAA is a morally bankrupt pile of s***.

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 2 months ago

the NCAA doesn't just hate KU. They are the most ridiculous organization. Millionaires making more millions off of amateur athletes. As for McCray, it's too bad he can't play with Crist but hopefully him and Heaps will have a great future together.

KUFAN02 2 years, 2 months ago

Those two will lead the way after this season. Im excited for their futures.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 2 months ago

Heaps and McCay will form the nucleus of a really nice scout team, which could translate into great chemistry the next 2 years. That would make 3 years of at least a potent O. Hopefully, the D can make some strides foward, and it could be the start of a whole new ballgame.

Steve Jacob 2 years, 2 months ago

I never heard a good reason why he should be eligible this season, so this should be no shock.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 2 months ago

Did you ever a hear a reason why he should not??

vd 2 years, 2 months ago

Yes. If you transfer to another school, you have to sit out a year. Ever heard of that reason?

vd 2 years, 2 months ago

Jace FitzGibbon 2 years, 2 months ago

well i guess if SRJ hasnt heard a reason then we should just not write about Mccays situation until he hears something

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 2 months ago

We haven't heard a "good reason" why he should be granted the waiver because our athletic department and those involved has been great lately with not leaking information to the media and public. I can't imagine that the school told Justin to waste his time with applying for a waiver if they hadn't looked at the rules and thought he had a strong chance of success, not to mention the fact that Stoops had supported him saying that he hoped to get a waiver to play this season. The NCAA just yanked our chain, just like they've done every chance they've got recently. Same story, different sport.

I agree with other posters, I hope Justin is able to use this as motivation and to get some good work in with Heaps to build some chemistry for next season. But above all, I hope that whatever it is that might have caused all this is resolved and Justin can play with a clear mind when given the chance.

Steve Jacob 2 years, 2 months ago

Just saying, if you could just transfer with no reason or penalty you would totally mess up all sports.

championhawks 2 years, 2 months ago

You haven't heard a reason because KU and Weis can't comment on that due to privacy laws (as Weis stated in this article). So if McCay doesn't want to let out the reason to the public, you aren't going to hear anything.

Just because it isn't public knowledge doesn't mean that there isn't a reason they feel he should be allowed to play this year.

KansasRedLegger 2 years, 2 months ago

So athletes being able to transfer schools with no penalty would "totally mess up sports," but coaches bolting programs year after year after year with no penalty is fine?

Weird logic.

OldOldHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

You are correct. It is completely unfair that coaches can move freely, while student-athletes can't. That messes up programs bad enough.

But, if every student-athlete could move freely it WOULD "totally mess up sports." The coaches moving is bad enough, but the players moving freely would be worse.

Just because one is unfair does not mean the two are comparable.

Still, it sucks that he isn't going to be able to play without sitting out his one-year residence requirement.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

This may be unfair to McCay, but it doesn't have (and shouldn't have) ANYTHING to do with the fact that coaches are allowed to leave a current job and take another job without penalty. In fact, coaches already have a natural incentive already in place--the contract they have with their current school. Just like any professional discipline, the only realistic restriction on a worker's movement is a desire to keep their incentives (paycheck, benefits, perks, etc).

The players, on the other hand, are in school and are not guided by the traditional employment market forces, since they aren't professional employees (in other words, they are still developing their professional skills). Given that fact, the NCAA has decided that it needed to impose some level of restriction, to keep transfers somewhat under control. If there were no disincentive to transfer, any 18-year-old could bolt at the first bit of hardship. By having some restrictions, they force players to give a transfer decision the same amount of thought and consideration that a head coach would give to changing jobs. Or at the very least, it forces players to consult with others who might be able to help guide them to make a thoughtful decision, instead of a rash one.

It's just unfortunate that there is collateral damage of those rules, for kids like McCay who certainly seems to have given his situation a great deal of thought. From what we can infer by the thoughts of KU officials and Oklahoma's head coach, he seems to be a good candidate for the exception to the rule.

The NCAA's transfer rules may be unfair, but it has nothing to do with what coaches are allowed to do or not to do.

PS - I feel that I should also qualify that I'm not agreeing with the NCAA's decision on McCay, just noting that it should have nothing to do with how coaches are allowed to move from job to job.

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 2 months ago

No one here is making this an argument about the transfer rules the NCAA has put in place, rather we are expressing our frustration with the situation and treatment of a player we believe should have been granted a hardship waiver to play immediately. Our opinions on this come from comments from Coach Weis and the limited articles we have from McCay's recruitment to OU along with similar situations that Matt Tait has pointed out.

I speak for myself and likely others when I say that you are right, the transfer rules are there for a reason, particularly to prevent players from jumping schools to find greener pastures or join other talent for the sake of wins, and imposes a punishment on those players who sign with a school for the wrong reasons (promised playing time, special treatment, big name school). This, however, is not a situation where a player was recruited by a coach who was subsequently fired and the player wanted out, or was trying to be a part of a massive convergence of talent (though we hope that's what will happen with some years of success). The rules are in place to prevent precisely those types of situations from occurring because there would be no loyalty to the school and program, and players would become hired guns traveling school to school looking for the best chance to win that year. This is a player who has had a rough upbringing and realized that he wants to be closer to the people he's most familiar with.

All Justin was doing is using the ability to transfer so that he could be closer to home, and hoping to work within the rules provided to him (and every other NCAA athlete) to be able to participate in games right away. I understand your "fear" and if this was one of those situations, I'd completely agree, but based on the facts provided us, your comments couldn't be further from what was taking place here. He's not abusing transfer rules, he's using them for their intended purpose.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

Just saying, you have no idea what the basis for the hardship request was in the first place, so you really have no basis on which to "just say".

bradh 2 years, 2 months ago

I think his point was that no one outside the KU and OU athletic departments and the NCAA knows the basis of the appeal. Without that information, we really shouldn't be saying the world is going to end and the NCAA hates KU and all student athletes. The NCAA may hate KU and all student athletes, but we can't tell from the information we have, so we might as well take a deep breath and move on.

squawkhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

You mean this isn't good enough for the NCAA?

"...because of a desire to be closer to his family and his hometown."

Go figure.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 2 months ago

This is such a joke. Why did they tell them to appeal? Like Weis said make the kid and the school jump through more hoops only to deny him again. I hope he uses this as fuel to get better and play at an All Big-12 level as a junior. Rock Chalk

ltownatrain 2 years, 2 months ago

Just to check but Matt do you know what this does for his overall eligibility? I know usually when someone transfers and they have say 3 years of eligibility left they have to sit 1 leaving them with 2. But I thought I read somewhere that he wouldn't lose eligibility but would only have to sit a year. Clarification would be great. Also while I was excited to see him in action I'm still pumped for this upcoming season.

Brak 2 years, 2 months ago

The article spells it out pretty clearly,

"McCay, 6-foot-2, 215 pounds, will sit out the 2012 season but will be eligible to practice. He will be eligible to play again in 2013 as a junior and will have two years remaining."

ltownatrain 2 years, 2 months ago

Yes but usually a player loses a year or eligibility so I don't understand why he would have 2 years. i mean it's great for KU either way but unless there was a rule change recently I don't see why its 2 years.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 2 months ago

You haven't followed this story very well. He redshirted at OU then played sparingly last season. He transferred to KU. So starting next fall he is a sophomore. He will sit out next season and not play as a sophomore. Thus when he plays in 2013 he will be a junior leaving 2 years of eligibility. I hope that helps not trying to be rude just concise. OU released him from his scholarship and allowed him to go where he wanted so he didn't lose 2 years as per the transfer rule in conference either.

ltownatrain 2 years, 2 months ago

I was just checking because I know OU had him listed as a redshirt Sophmore this year so I wasn't sure. A

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

He is a soph....he redshirted his freshman year at OU. Thus he will lose this year and still have two years remaining. If they had ruled in his favor, he would have had three years. Someone tell me if I am wrong.

youowethehawks 2 years, 2 months ago

Simply put, NCAA rule state that, barring extreme circumstances, you have 5 years of eligibility, of which you can compete in 4.

april28 2 years, 2 months ago

Justin....hang in there. A disappointing result that you need to use for fuel as you train and study. You chose the right university and there will be a payoff.

John Myers 2 years, 2 months ago

Hang in there, Justin - we'll take you whenever we can. Bust your butt, work on improving, and we'll see you in a year!!

Man, the NCAA is just ridiculous.

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 2 months ago

it's probably a bad decision, but this is not shocking. since the original committee didn't approve the waiver, why would this one? Yes, they told KU to go ahead and appeal....but that's a formality probably.

He'll settle in and be rarin to go in 2013. He'll still have two years with us....so this is not devastating to the program....did we want to see him on the field this year? of course...but in the long term health of KU football and Justin McCay, it doesn't really hurt that much.

oldalum 2 years, 2 months ago

Actually, according to what the LJW reported, the NCAA suggested the appeal because the subcommittee didn't have such cut and dried rules and were able to deviate for special circumstances. They certainly gave the impression they expected their subcommittee to return a different decision. Instead, the poor kid went through all that appeal process for another disappointment. So no, I don't believe the appeal was just a formality.

holidaysmore 2 years, 2 months ago

Can anyone remember the last time the NCAA ruled in KU's favor regarding a student athlete and eligibility issues?

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 2 months ago

They've ruled in favor of Rush and Selby but were dragging their feet the whole way letting KU know much later than probably necessary. STLJayhawk10 made a great point about Cam Newton being declared eligible but didn't highlight the timing of the issue. Auburn declared him ineligible on Nov. 30 and the NCAA reinstated him to play on Dec. 1 (coincidentally the SEC Championship game was on Dec. 4th). That's the fastest I've ever seen the NCAA move on anything, and something I've certainly never seen with regards to KU.

I guess the only bright spot in this is that we know the situation now and don't have to wait around through the summer and into fall hoping he'll be declared eligible. He can play on the practice squad and really provide some challenges for the defense while playing with Heaps working on timing. We'll just have to make the best of this bad situation and go from here.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 2 months ago

I know the Selby case comes up all the time and the mention that the NCAA was dragging their feet. Although I agree, I would also point out that it was clear that Selby had surpassed the $1,000 threshold which warranted a forfeiture of 1/3 of the season. The NCAA at that time chose to place him on hold and clear everyone else, because they knew he had to sit so many games anyways. No I don't like it, but the real information was the amount he had to donate to a charity. The rest I think was known by Self/Selby, they may have been holding out hope for an adjustment, but they both knew the rules and knew what it meant.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 2 months ago

KU was able to cover the finances of Thomas Robinson for flying to the funeral, the entire basketball team, the funeral costs, and set up a trust account for Jayla.

The NCAA acted quickly and decisively on that matter.

(By the way I am not a proponent of all of the things the NCAA does, but you asked for cases where the NCAA ruled in KU's favor.)

squawkhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, only about 90% of the time. I guess the NCAA really hates KU. WOW!

Keith Hummel 2 years, 2 months ago

Heartless! The NCAA is simply heartless. They took the easy, heartless route on this one.

From what I know of Justin's story, there wasn't a single tragic event that occurred recently, but rather a series of things over many years that ultimately made it virtually impossible for him, emotionally and practically, to stay at OU. Justin basically "couch surfed" (as Grunhard termed it) most of his formative years because he never had a stable home. The one stable force in his life, his father, died just before Justin was to make his college choice. If you want a glimpse into Justin's struggles, read the following article from back in 2009:

But as tragic as those circumstances are, I believe there is much more that has transpired in the last couple of years that we'll never know, all of it weighing heavily on Justin. But despite all that, the NCAA was apparently incapable of making a common sense nuanced decision for the betterment of a student athlete whom everyone agreed deserved a second chance, and should get the waiver.

The good news for Justin is he is now close to his remaining family, and he has in Grunhard a person who has been by his side through much of these struggles, and who genuinely cares about him, and who will be a true mentor. He will have an entire season to become work with Heaps and become the premier receiver everyone wants him to be. I look forward to watching him catch that first touchdown pass.

Ryan Shelton 2 years, 2 months ago

Thank you for sharing that link. What a gut-wrenching story! It seems jumping hurdles is what Justin's life is all about, and I am not at all surprised now with his mature comments from the story above. Considering all he's faced, this hurdle is miniscule. Keep working hard, Justin. Your day is coming.

ejlumus 2 years, 2 months ago

suggest one of KUs top lawyer graduates sue the ncaa

Ben Kane 2 years, 2 months ago

that is why no ruling has been issued on the last UMiami fiasco... UM told the NCAA they would file an anti-trust lawsuit against the ncaa (and possibly bring the whole thing down) if they did anything.

ejlumus 2 years, 2 months ago

KU should do the same & have the ncaa dissolved. End of Story!

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

That's completely obnoxious if true.

How a MEMBER of a group can sue that group for anti-trust violation is beyond me.

Even the NFL and NBA players' associations had to "de-certify" before they could sue the organization of which they were a participating member.

Not to mention the sheer irony of a member of the BCS--and one who has certainly benefitted from the bowl structure--suing anyone over anti-trust violations.

Wait until the first time a non-BCS school goes undefeated and gets left out of the title game in favor of two one-loss BCS teams, THEN you will see a real anti-trust lawsuit.

kureader 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm likin' Weis more every day.
Few coaches would have given such an honest reply, when asked about an NCAA decision. Most of us don't know the details of the situation, but Weis does. If he thinks there was overwhelming cause to let Justin play, that's good enough for me. The NCAA is, and always has been, a complete joke. They're the ones who need more supervision.

Jackalope7 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm ok with this. I mean, yes it sucks. But, its not like this team is ready to win right now. I think this team will be better next year.

championhawks 2 years, 2 months ago

I may agree with this if he was able to red shirt this year, but he already took a red shirt year at OU. So this is basically a year of eligibility that he loses.

vd 2 years, 2 months ago

If he as good as we all believe, he would be going to the NFL after 1 year.

april28 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, I think that's been his dream since he was a boy, to exercise and get free tuition.

hbjayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Justin, don't sweat this. My customized McKay jersey will still be worn at games this year. Anxiously awaiting you to break some receiving records at KU. Your name will be on the ring when it is said and done and your story will inspire another generation of student athletes who didn't give let eurocentric dbags take away your dream. Believe.

Cameron Cederlind 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm still not understanding it. So things from Europe are related to lunacy?

Hawk50 2 years, 2 months ago

Seriously, you "customized" a jersey for this player and you spelled his name wrong? McCay will surely be proud in the 2013 season when he scores his first KU touchdown and he looks up to sees some idiot wearing a "McKay" jersey. Let us know if you plan to customize any Charlie "Wise" clothing.

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

You have to understand that post wasn't about the player, but about the poster's self-infatuation.

Jayhawk1116 2 years, 2 months ago

This comment removed for violation of basic obscenity laws.

Wisconsin2Kansas 2 years, 2 months ago

First of all, it's McCay, not "McKay." Second of all, I don't understand why he loses a year of eligibility. Could somebody please fill me in on why he is losing a year of eligibility?

lv_jhwk 2 years, 2 months ago

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong (please do), but essentially it's the "five years to play four" rule. Justin has already used his redshirt year while at OU, so his clock only has three years left regardless of whether he's on the field or the sideline. This also explains why Jake Heaps is able to transfer in and still have two years left to play.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 2 months ago

I got the feeling that the longer this drew out that it wouldn't be optimal for his season this year; however, I do think it may be optimal for his career. If you think of most receivers, it takes a year to adapt to the level change. Although I know there are receivers out there that play and do well, most take a year to adapt into a system. HCCW's system is tough and will take experience to learn. I think someone mentioned that McCay dropped a pass and struggled to get time in the preseason game. If all this makes him a better person, I think it will be good. I also think that getting a year under his belt with HCCW won't be a bad thing.

No I am not a fan of the NCAA and this process seemed overly redundant; however, I guess they followed certain protocols.

I'm particularly impressed with the speech that McCay gave, it sounds really good and respectful of all those involved.

Thanks McCay for joining the Jayhawk Nation.

kureader 2 years, 2 months ago

funny, as usual, nuleaf (and appropriate).

Jeff Soisson 2 years, 2 months ago

Way to go NCAA, you really are looking out for your student athletes. Justin, keep working on your game, I can't wait to see you crush it next year.

Jace FitzGibbon 2 years, 2 months ago

im sure if he was going to USC, Florida, Alabama, or LSU he'd be eligible right away. I hate not being a money make in football

rob4lb 2 years, 2 months ago

It is really hard to assess this. I don't think anyone has mentioned what the hardship was. Without knowing all the facts, it is difficult to find fault with the NCAA's ruling.

Displayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

If I let history be my guide, it's not difficult for me to find fault with the NCAA! They have repeatedly shown that their main consideration is what is in the best interest for the NCAA, and NOT what is best for the student-athlete. As HCCW alluded, common sense did not prevail!

dstnku34 2 years, 2 months ago

Play him anyway. We weren't that far from 0-12 anyhow. We're not gonna win a NC. Crist can still go pro if he throws for 9,000yds and 88 TDs. Frigg the ncaa and let the kid play 4 years of college football.

JayHok 2 years, 2 months ago

Remarkable how Derrick Rose was never punished by the NCAA because he was only in class for a few months, supposedly not long enough for the NCAA to nail him to anything. His only punishment was being the #1 overall NBA draft pick plus a chance to sign a future multimillion book deal down the road if his ACL ever blows out, a book detailing what Capalini really does for players who need help taking the SAT or ACT.

bayareajhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Ummm, he blew his ACL out like 3 days ago. Too soon.

squawkhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

A denial was expected given the lack of compelling reason to do otherwise ("because of a desire to be closer to his family and his hometown").. KU fans should feel lucky that OU waived the 2 year rule for transferring in-conference.

Brak 2 years, 2 months ago

Kstate Fans........Sucking at everything including trolling since....forever.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

Yep, that's about right for a KSU fan. Try to antagonize, and when no one responds, try again, with the same exact point.

Here--now FOUR whole people have replied to your comment. Can you go away now?

I would also note that, someone with even marginal reading comprehension ability would note the part of the article that specifically mentions not disclosing specifics of the relocation for privacy's sake.

Clearly that cattle-brand symbol-recognition class should not qualify as a literary credit.

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm sure we have some alum from the Law school that would donate some time and file some litigation pro bono for the kid. Anyone out there want to step up to the plate? I say stick it to them and make them spend some money.

Mike Ardis 2 years, 2 months ago

NCAA = Not Care About Athletes

KUbsee69 2 years, 2 months ago

I did not realize that Indianapolis was in Missouri ... but it must be because the NCAA sure has a taint about it.

Phoghorn 2 years, 2 months ago

Sorry folks, it was so funny I had to laugh twice.

KGphoto 2 years, 2 months ago

It kinda feels like the NCAA is using this low-profile case to keep their record balanced, adding a line of defense for when they let the cash cows slip the noose, or when the number of transfers gets a little to skewed. Like make-up calls for refs.

What a shame for McCay.

Hang in their Justin. They can't take away your talent.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

But they would if they could !

STL_Jayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

If the NCAA cared more about the student athletes and less about the $$$'s, then the football championship game would be played on January 1st or 2nd instead of a week later.

If I recall correctly, when Oregon played in the championship game 2 years ago, their players missed the entire first week of classes. And, because the NCAA put the game on Monday night instead of Saturday, the football players missed 2 more days of classes in the second week of school. They claim that there can't be a playoff system because of time restraints and it would be a burden for the players from an academic standpoint. I guess Oregon waitng 30+ days to play in a bowl game and then missing the first 7 days of classes because of the delay wasn't a burden. I'm sure when most of us were in school, we often didn't bother showing up until midway through the second week if not later.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Nothing Close to Competency or Accountability

Numbnuts Closet Crazies and Arsholes

Number 1 Concern Cash and Autonomy

No Care Concerning Athletes

I have a "Jaybate-type" list that I could post but I think you all get the general idea!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Gee, no one noticed my NCCA format....oh well.

danno1313 2 years, 2 months ago

I m shocked! The NATIONAL COMMUNISTS AGAINST ATHLETES ruled against a student athlete? NO WAY! What a bunch of D BAGS!

Gary McCullough 2 years, 2 months ago

A coach can jump from one school to another, even leaving a mess in his wake, but no sanctions are levied. But a student-athlete that believes it is in his best interests to change schools is punished by losing a year of eligibility. How is this different from slavery?

Micky Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

If it he was at Kansas, then transferred to OU, under these same exact circumstances, the waiver would have been granted.

It's all about money to the NCAA, which hurts the game.

But I will say this, McCay will have a year to practice with the team, and get really close with Jake Heaps. Heisman Candidate is Justin McCay as well as Jake Heaps either 2013 or 2014, or both.

Micky Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

Jacorey Sheperd (sp?), this your chance to step up and get some PT this season. Run sharp routes, catch the ball, don't fumble it, and help team get first downs.

You have the speed Sheperd, you just have to work hard.

Even with this, Kansas is deep at WR, RB, and the OL might be a strength. Plus, Crist with his quick decision making will make it much more difficult for the opponents to defend. He can drop back, one step throw accurately, will force defenders to have well above average technique(not speed) technique to defend against a Crist type QB.

VaJay 2 years, 2 months ago

The key will be - can these receivers hold onto the ball? They all have the speed and moves to get open & Crist is going to deliver it in their hands more often than not. Whoever has the least drops is probably going to play a lot. I'm not sure we have the greatest set of hands outside Pick's. I hope the rest of them step up. If they do, our offense will compete at a very high level.

53jayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Does the possibility exist to appeal for a 6th yr for this individual? I know 6th years are granted in extenuating circumstances due to injuries affecting multiple years - maybe this is a way to let him have 4 years of playing time.

KGphoto 2 years, 2 months ago

That would make too much sense. Besides, if he and Heaps are what we think, he'll be NFL bound after two years.

JayHok 2 years, 2 months ago

Anybody else think it's fantastic that a young man like Eric Bledsoe can get his apartment paid for by a college coach his senior year of high school---as quoted by the landlord during an independent Birmingham investigation--- and also have his high grades changed from an F to an A to be eligible by .01 for an NCAA college---as it was shown in the actual gradebook during the same independent investigation---and Bledsoe, thanks to only going to Kentucky for a few months while getting a 0.83 GPA can simply put his name in the NBA draft and make millions of dollars without even a high school degree.

Because he "left for professional reasons", it doesn't affect Coach Capalini's APR!

Go NCAA and Kentucky!

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 2 months ago

But there is No Cash for the Advancement of Academics.....

Joshua Hatcher 2 years, 2 months ago

All this means is that Heaps and McCray get to sit on the second team building a practice routine for an extra year. Which kinda sounds like a good thing to me!