Originally published March 31, 2012 at 04:32p.m., updated April 1, 2012 at 01:18a.m.

Jayhawks land Bishop Miege QB Montell Cozart

The quarterback parade continues for the Kansas University football team, which learned Saturday that Bishop Miege High quarterback Montell Cozart had orally committed to Charlie Weis and the Jayhawks.

Cozart, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound dual-threat QB in the Class of 2013 who played high school ball for new KU offensive line coach Tim Grunhard, is a three-star prospect according to Rivals.com and is the fourth quarterback to commit to Kansas since Weis took over in December, joining Dayne Crist, Jake Heaps and Turner Baty.

Cozart was named the Gatorade Player of the Year in Kansas last year after throwing for 2,448 yards and 31 touchdowns and rushing for 550 yards.

Cozart had scholarship offers from Minnesota, Northern Illinois and West Virginia and was receiving serious interest from at least half a dozen more BCS schools.

He credits his relationship with Grunhard for making the move to KU happen.

“I think coach Grunhard helped get my name to the Kansas coaches,” Cozart told JayhawkSlant.com back in February. “So they were one of the first schools to send me mail. I know they are getting good transfers in there, and I think they will do good things in the Big 12.”

Cozart becomes the second member of his high school class to commit to KU. Fellow Kansan Ben Johnson, of Basehor-Linwood High, a 6-5, 230-pound tight end, orally pledged to KU a few weeks ago.

Comments

machinegun 2 years ago

OK-this guy is a good athlete and we need every one we can get. He's not a pro-style QB.

kuarch85 2 years ago

For everyone worrying about what position Montell will play....you've got plenty of time to think about it, he's still a junior in high school.

KUsmitty4 2 years ago

Loving what HCCW is doing so far... excited to see our improvement

KGphoto 2 years ago

This seems like an odd recruit to me. I can't imagine a scenario where he gets to play QB under Weis. I could see him being the opposing QB in practices gearing up for a certain dual-threat opponent, but other than that he's an "athlete" prospect I would assume. Probably a WR, but it doesn't matter. I'll take 3 star athletes from Kansas all day.

ND69 2 years ago

I know we ae in the title game and I'm as excited as anyone . But to be considered legit KU and the KU press needs to understand that when you have a guy Charlie's caliber and Dave Campo's caliber and you have guys like Crist and Heaps you have a duty to keep fans informed of how spring practice is going and create some buzz if you expect to sell tickets .

The lack of coverage and the poor job by the SID is appalling . These people deserve better than this .

Jayhawk444 2 years ago

when is the spring game?

vd 2 years ago

Meier, Pick, Steward, Matthews, Cummins, and now Cozart. Dual purpose QBs for KU. What position will Cozart play, DB or WR.

Shawn Otrimble 2 years ago

I don't know how to take hearing great news in April KU Football, With the Basketball doing so well......brain overload

kujayhox 2 years ago

i am glad that we are keeping the good high schoolers in-state

DevilHawk 2 years ago

Good get - especially early in the recruiting process.

Terran Woolley 2 years ago

Good get. We are on our way back to respectability kids....

Dan Pawlowski 2 years ago

Ok , You want a BBall article that has not been reported here. Thomas Robinson was robbed. Davis won the Wooden award. Go to ESPN and add your displeasure to the comments. I did.

riverdrifter 2 years ago

Absolutely and very good news.

Write2Know 2 years ago

Seriously, a football article today?