Originally published March 31, 2012 at 04:32p.m., updated April 1, 2012 at 01:18a.m.

Jayhawks land Bishop Miege QB Montell Cozart

The quarterback parade continues for the Kansas University football team, which learned Saturday that Bishop Miege High quarterback Montell Cozart had orally committed to Charlie Weis and the Jayhawks.

Cozart, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound dual-threat QB in the Class of 2013 who played high school ball for new KU offensive line coach Tim Grunhard, is a three-star prospect according to Rivals.com and is the fourth quarterback to commit to Kansas since Weis took over in December, joining Dayne Crist, Jake Heaps and Turner Baty.

Cozart was named the Gatorade Player of the Year in Kansas last year after throwing for 2,448 yards and 31 touchdowns and rushing for 550 yards.

Cozart had scholarship offers from Minnesota, Northern Illinois and West Virginia and was receiving serious interest from at least half a dozen more BCS schools.

He credits his relationship with Grunhard for making the move to KU happen.

“I think coach Grunhard helped get my name to the Kansas coaches,” Cozart told JayhawkSlant.com back in February. “So they were one of the first schools to send me mail. I know they are getting good transfers in there, and I think they will do good things in the Big 12.”

Cozart becomes the second member of his high school class to commit to KU. Fellow Kansan Ben Johnson, of Basehor-Linwood High, a 6-5, 230-pound tight end, orally pledged to KU a few weeks ago.

Comments

Write2Know 2 years, 5 months ago

Seriously, a football article today?

Chris Bruning 2 years, 5 months ago

This is good news, what the hell were they supposed to do wait until the final four is over?

RISEABOVEHATE56 2 years, 5 months ago

Need to get some 5 star recruiters in here and stop with all these Sucky non moveable 3 star recruiters that wont even see a bride side of a snap in there 4 year stay at Kansas.

John Boyle 2 years, 4 months ago

Thank you for your positive and upbeat view of the world.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 5 months ago

Ok , You want a BBall article that has not been reported here. Thomas Robinson was robbed. Davis won the Wooden award. Go to ESPN and add your displeasure to the comments. I did.

Brett Gaul 2 years, 5 months ago

Just did the same. What a sham^

waywardJay 2 years, 5 months ago

1. Use that motivation.
  2. beat Kentucky.
  3. Shave that ridiculous thing off his forehead.

DevilHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Good get - especially early in the recruiting process.

kujayhox 2 years, 5 months ago

i am glad that we are keeping the good high schoolers in-state

Shawn Otrimble 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't know how to take hearing great news in April KU Football, With the Basketball doing so well......brain overload

vd 2 years, 5 months ago

Meier, Pick, Steward, Matthews, Cummins, and now Cozart. Dual purpose QBs for KU. What position will Cozart play, DB or WR.

John Boyle 2 years, 4 months ago

whimper, whimper, whine, whine my wittle football team isn't being tweated faiwly. Get over it KU Basketball was in the National Championship game. Football will get its due when basketball is over. What do you want them to report: KU football has practice today. Oh that's all that happen with football today. Nothing really to report unless a serious injury occurs or someone is dismissed from the team or they sign a 3 star in-state recruit. Oh yeah they did report those things.

KGphoto 2 years, 5 months ago

This seems like an odd recruit to me. I can't imagine a scenario where he gets to play QB under Weis. I could see him being the opposing QB in practices gearing up for a certain dual-threat opponent, but other than that he's an "athlete" prospect I would assume. Probably a WR, but it doesn't matter. I'll take 3 star athletes from Kansas all day.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 5 months ago

I wondered that too. The Coaches saw something they liked. Will be interesting to see how he fits in the mix.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Totally agree with you. Charlie's going to get 5 quarterbacks to play that position...not 3. I think he's probably an athlete like you are suggesting.

KUsmitty4 2 years, 5 months ago

Loving what HCCW is doing so far... excited to see our improvement

kuarch85 2 years, 5 months ago

For everyone worrying about what position Montell will play....you've got plenty of time to think about it, he's still a junior in high school.

machinegun 2 years, 5 months ago

OK-this guy is a good athlete and we need every one we can get. He's not a pro-style QB.

Terry N Tom Denner 2 years, 5 months ago

But with the staff that Charlie has he can become just that.