Friday, March 30, 2012

Jared Sullinger-Thomas Robinson only part of it

Ohio State forward Jared Sullinger talks about his regret for not playing the Jayhawks at Allen Fieldhouse when the two teams met earlier this year, Thursday, March 29, 2012.

— When former Ohio State point guard James “Scoonie” Penn helped lead the Buckeyes to the 1999 Final Four, he did so without the luxury of playing with a dominant big man.

Although more than a decade has gone by since that Final Four, Penn could not help himself when asked how much he would have benefited from playing with a center like current Buckeyes All-American Jared Sullinger.

“I would’ve loved it,” Penn said Thursday at the Superdome, site of this year’s Final Four. “Would’ve loved it. It opens up so much for the perimeter. It’s awesome. What does every point guard always say? He would love to play with a great big guy. He sets me a solid screen, and it’s such an advantage. I can pull up, I can go score, I can drop it off. It’s an advantage.”

Penn, who recently wrapped up a professional playing career in Europe and spent the summer scrimmaging with the Buckeyes, is back in Columbus, Ohio, trying to break into television. Although he spent much of Thursday on the other side of the camera, he was happy to share his thoughts about the marquee match-up between Sullinger and Kansas University All-American Thomas Robinson. The way Penn sees it, the head-to-head match-up between Sullinger and Kansas center Jeff Withey might be more important to the outcome of Saturday’s 7:49 p.m. semifinal. If that’s the case, it could spell good news for the Jayhawks, according to Penn.

“All year, (Sullinger’s) been having problems with guys that size,” Penn said of Sullinger’s facing the 7-foot Withey. “The length has been hurting him. So I think it’s gonna be Sully and what the big fella can do with Jared. One of them’s gonna get in foul trouble, we just don’t know which one yet.”

Penn was not the only Ohio State guy who tried to take the focus off of the showdown between big-time big men. Sullinger also took a turn.

“People are making such a big deal about this being Jared Sullinger against Thomas Robinson,” Sullinger said. “But at the end of the day, it’s The Ohio State University against Kansas.”

And it’s happening for the second time this season. The Jayhawks topped the Sullinger-less Buckeyes, 78-67, at Allen Fieldhouse back in December. Asked if he regretted missing that one, Sullinger complimented KU’s home arena.

“I was very disappointed,” he said. “It was hurtful because that’s one of the best places to play. It was loud. I left the floor with a headache, and I didn’t even play.”

Sullinger said he did everything he could to play that day. But back spasms that left him unable to stand upright or walk properly made it impossible.

“I couldn’t bend,” Sullinger recalled. “I was walking like someone with an arch in their back. If I went out there, they would’ve attacked me all game, and I would’ve been like a dead duck.”

That’s not likely to be the case this weekend. The 6-foot-9, 265-pound Sullinger, who enters Saturday’s game averaging 17.6 points and 9.1 rebounds per outing, said he had not had any issues with his back since he was cleared to return to action nearly three months ago. Just as he was back in December, Sullinger is looking forward to measuring his game against Robinson’s somewhere other than one of the three offseason skills camps the two attended together.

“Everybody’s kind of shocked that he ‘came out of nowhere,’” Sullinger said of the 6-10, 237-pound Robinson. “But he’s a great player. He’s fast, he’s strong, he never gives up on a play, and he’s always in attack mode. Like I said earlier, he’s the player of the year in my eyes — without a doubt.”

Sullinger’s kind words about Robinson were echoed earlier in the day by Robinson, who said he, too, was excited finally to be able to face Sullinger.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Robinson asked. “Off the floor we’re cool. But he’s a competitor, and I’m a competitor, so come Saturday, we can’t be cool out there. He didn’t play (in December), but he’s gonna play Saturday, so we’ll see what the difference was.”

Comments

bbeckum 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't know what I'm more excited about: TRob v Sully or TT v Craft

Doug Cramer 2 years, 4 months ago

All three ESPN analysts, Vitale, Hubert Davis, and Jay Bilas said that They favor Ohio State...because we don't have an answer to Sullinger in the post.

Really ? Because the last time I checked, we have a top five defense in the nation, and the leading shot blocker in the Big 12.

More fuel for the fire...love how this team plays when they're supposedly the dog in the media's eyes.

Steve Reigle 2 years, 3 months ago

Aren't these the same guys who said Kansas would not win the Big12, that Kansas would be out of this tournament early, who have been dissing on Kansas all season?

jayhawker_97 2 years, 4 months ago

Sully will be the one that's close to the basket most of the time. and you know what? i don't think he'll have much luck as he had with the other teams. it's tough enough to get around wide body like TRob, now he has to shoot over shot blocker, mean looking, spiker-Withey. so, it's really Sully vs TRob + Withey, to be precise. and now they have to depend on 3s, which might be even tougher with our defenders on perimeter, plus dome perception. i don't want to jinx our chance, as long as our team is loose, having fun, we'll advance. the hell with espn analish - prediction means no sh1t..

rock chalk!

RJ King 2 years, 4 months ago

Danny, Danny, Danny - we need a parting gift.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 3 months ago

HC Self indicated that the match up for Sullinger will be Whitey; Robinson will get Sullinger only during player switches. In any case, I remember reading that Robinson was schooling Sullinger at the Summer camps, so I am confident that TRob can handle Sullinger if necessary.

KansasComet 2 years, 3 months ago

This game is all about rebounding, crashing the boards and staying out of foul trouble. Withey, Robinson, Taylor, Johnson, Releford have all had 20 point games this year. Young had 14 against Ohio State last time. I am looking forward to this game. Ohio State plays much better on their home court, they tend to struggle away home. When this Kansas Team is motivated, they are the best team in the country.

VaJay 2 years, 3 months ago

Espn is so chock full of the KY-Louisville matchup & there's hardly anything on us. And as stated above, when they do finally get around to spending a moment on the "other game", the prognosticators are almost all for OSU. I like that we are flying under the radar. We all know how well coach does when he has several days to prepare... Go 'Hawks!

HawkKlaw 2 years, 3 months ago

I did see a lengthy piece on TRob's difficult journey on ESPN yesterday.

I think this KU team likes to fly under the radar. It's the chip on their collective shoulder.

John Mueller 2 years, 3 months ago

"The" Ohio State University = tool

who's idea was that?

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 3 months ago

Real professional athletes at THE Ohio State University want you to buy real team memorabilia, instead of the ersatz stuff the Ohio State University amateurs trade for tatoos. I do think Thee would have been a better choice to establish OSU as unique and pretentious. The OSU has a generic tone, as in "the cat has fur".

addlime 2 years, 3 months ago

At least LJW doesn't call it "The Kansas University"

John Mueller 2 years, 3 months ago

PS If we play like we played against Carolina, I think we win.

If we play like we did against Purdue, we lose.

Love to see TT conquer the dome with his outside shot.

I really believe we have the better combo in the paint vs. the big guy.

I think the key matchup is TT vs. Craft.

Good TT wins, bad TT (turnovers and confounding three quarter court bounce passes) = sad jayhawks

HawkKlaw 2 years, 3 months ago

"confounding three quarter court bounce passes" lmao...so true! It's like someone told him before the game that these lengthy, lazy bounce passes are mandatory. I've grown to love TT, but that's the real head-scratcher in his game. And it's the cause of most of his turnovers.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 3 months ago

Don't forget that Craft and Ravenel fouled out in the KU game. Taylor is much better than the turnover machine he was at the time, and Whitey has switched to Beat mode since then as well. I am going to guess that 3 OSU players will foul out.

Justin Kruse 2 years, 3 months ago

A little motivational video to show the boys before the game, courtesy of Jack. http://youtu.be/bR8E1yNDRzM

John Strayer 2 years, 3 months ago

Is that a typo? T-Rob gives up almost 30 lbs to Sullinger? With T-Rob's body...that just seems to be impossible.

addlime 2 years, 3 months ago

Sullinger has a freaking huge backside.

Alex Resnik 2 years, 3 months ago

I think that the most overshadowed machup of the the weekend is T-Rob vs. DeShawn Thomas. This guy is one of the hotter players right now and T-Rob won't be able to take an defensive possessions off. If T-Rob is able to defend Thomas outside of the lane, or get him in foul trouble early by posting him up on offense. I think KU can win. If Thomas runs free and we have to have Withey sit and Young guard him.. we could be in trouble. Overall, I'm picking KU by 5. Rock Chalk!

Doug Cramer 2 years, 3 months ago

It's possible that Releford guards Thomas.

omng392 2 years, 3 months ago

Question: When you graduate from "THE" Ohio State University... Do you get the "THE" on your diplouma????

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 3 months ago

No, but for a buckeye necklace the Dean will flash you.

justinryman 2 years, 3 months ago

Per both schools websites the players are listed as:

Robinson:
6-10
237lbs

Sullinger: 6-9 280lbs

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 3 months ago

Sullinger has lost weight this season and some analysts think that it makes him less effective as he has less bulk to throw around; however, it probably helps his legs and endurance. He is listed at 265 on the ESPN site.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

Current talk at Final Four:

Kentucky: This could be the best college team since the Jabbar/UCLA days. They are big, deep, talented, focused..basically unstoppable.

Louisville: Have a coach who gets Calipari's goat, weren't healthy last time they played but made it a game, intangible of in-state hated rivalry makes them very, very dangerous.

Ohio State: Geat team with three great players, could possibly be the biggest road block for the Wildcats, are capable of the upset.

Kansas: Oh yeah, they're here too.

Just the way we like it!!!!!!!!!!

2 years, 3 months ago

Just received an alert from my ESPN Bracket Bound app that Anthony Davis won AP Player of the Year. I can’t find a story to corroborate it though.

TRob can still win the Naismith Award!

oldalum 2 years, 3 months ago

Doesn't surprise me, but it does disappoint me. All the talking heads have been calling Sullinger the POY for the last month as though the voting had already taken place.

Kye Clark 2 years, 3 months ago

Haith? What a joke! I would have thought the Miami investigation would have scared them off. Those who voted for him will sure look like fools when the hammer comes down on him.

actorman 2 years, 3 months ago

Actually, no it's not spot on. What he did at Miami has absolutely nothing to do with the coaching job he did this year at Misuse. In fact, even if he was undergoing an investigation in his current job it would have nothing to do with how he coached the team.

I'm not saying he necessarily deserved COY, but it's ridiculous to say that the Miami investigation should have anything to do with it one way or the other.

Kye Clark 2 years, 3 months ago

It's not ridiculous, its about perception and principle. You're right, they are two separate coaching jobs. By that measure, Calipari's vacated seasons shouldn't be used against him. But you better believe there are some people that won't vote for him on principle because of the perception he is dirty. Thus, it is not "ridiculous" to think the Miami investigation would have had an effect on the voters.

Principle plays a part in many things of this nature. Some voters won't vote a guy into the HOF on the first ballot on principle. Some won't vote for freshman. Some are bound to let TRob's story sway them in POY voting.

Many baseball writers have commented on how foolish they feel in retrospect for giving guys like Canseco & Bonds their awards. This despite the fact that Bonds has not ever been convicted of anything. Why then? Perception.

And I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but bottom line is these things - player or coaching accomplishments - don't exist in a vacuum.

It's really not that hard to understand.

Jason Keller 2 years, 3 months ago

Is anyone else shocked that KU is picked to lose? I'm trying to fight off my KU fan mentality that always assumes KU will win. How can anyone who claims to know basketball pick Ohio State to beat us? They're a really good team but the matchups aren't in their favor at all. I don't know, maybe I don't know anything about basketball or there is something I'm missing. I would say that if KU can finally get some shots to drop, we could literally win this thing by a dozen. We just need to survive and advance. I'm coming to the bar with my Lousville shirt on overtop of my KU shirt. I almost want Kentucky to lose as bad as I want KU to win.

addlime 2 years, 3 months ago

I can understand Davis, although I don't agree. But Haith, give me a break. Who is in the final four with a team picked by many to finish as low as fifth in the conference. Not even close. AP writers are a bunch of ignorant fools. I'd give it to Fred Hoiberg before I'd give it to Haith.

actorman 2 years, 3 months ago

The award is based on the regular season. The Final Four has nothing to do with it.

Kye Clark 2 years, 3 months ago

actorman is right that the Final Four has nothing to do with the award. The voting takes place before the tournament starts. However, being a regular season award (as actorman pointed out), how do they vote for a guy who finished two games out of first place in the regular season? Unfathomable, when there is a strong case for the coach of the team that finished in first (Self). Not saying Self should have won it (although he'd get my vote), but really...this is a joke. Pathetic SOS (didn't beat anybody worth anything in the non-con), loaded roster that he himself didn't recruit...I just don't get it.

Oh well, maybe him and his players can get together this weekend and celebrate, since they are at home and not still playing.

ksbball1 2 years, 3 months ago

I like the fact that almost all the talking heads are picking us to loose to OSU tomorrow night. The Hawks play much better when they're the under dog. RCJHKGKU