Friday, March 30, 2012

A banner day: Jayhawks excited for Danny Manning, Barry Hinson

The Kansas Jayhawks head inside the Superdome for practice after interviews on Thursday, March 29, 2012.

— Hall of Fame basketball coach Larry Brown, who tutored Danny Manning for four years at Kansas University, beamed with pride Thursday when his prize pupil accepted the head-coaching position at Tulsa University.

“I’m thrilled to death,” said Brown, who as part of KU’s traveling party at the Final Four watched the Jayhawks practice Thursday at the Superdome. “When they told me he got the job, it’s like being a proud father. I wish Ed were here.”

Danny’s dad, the late Ed Manning, served as an assistant coach under Brown at KU during the Brown/Manning era, which culminated in a national title in 1988.

“I never realized (Danny Manning) was going to be a coach until his last year in Detroit (in 2003, final year of a 15-year NBA playing career),” Brown said. “I remember all the people telling me how much he helped the young players and how involved he was. He was a smart player before I got him, but working for Bill (Self), seeing the progress of all these young kids and the way Danny conducts himself ... Tulsa hit a home run.”

Manning, 45, has hired Baker University head coach/former KU player and director of basketball operations Brett Ballard as an assistant. A source indicated Manning may also be targeting Justin Bauman, former KU manager now an assistant at University of San Francisco.

“I’m excited and looking forward to being the head basketball coach at the University of Tulsa,” Manning said. “I want to thank President (Steadman) Upham, Ross (Parmley, AD) and the search committee for allowing me this tremendous opportunity to coach at a university with a fine basketball tradition. I’d also like to thank coach Self for giving me the chance to be a part of his staff for the past nine years. I have learned a tremendous amount about the game and the profession from him and all of the members of his staff.

“I look forward to meeting with our TU players, the ardent Golden Hurricane fans, the campus and Tulsa community and the media,” added Manning, who will be introduced next week. “Right now my focus is on Kansas and its participation in the Final Four. We’ve worked extremely hard to get to this point and we want to keep it going for another few days.”

KU coach Self said he’s thrilled for Manning.

“Danny Manning is one of the most accomplished, humble people you’ll ever meet. He’s done more in his life through the athletic world than just about anybody, but you would never know it in visiting with him, as he never, ever talks about himself,” Self said. “His focus on deciding to be a basketball coach was to try to share some of his knowledge and make others better. He’s certainly done that at a very high level with us here at Kansas.

“He’s been around basketball his whole life, played for so many coaches, been able to steal from everybody and has developed a vast knowledge that will certainly play a huge role in his success as a head coach. Although 46 years old, he’s well beyond those in basketball years as far as experience. Tulsa has not only hired a great person and a great ambassador, but also a man that will lead Tulsa to great heights athletically and be competing for championships in a very short amount of time,” added Self, Tulsa’s head coach from 1997-2000.

Self said the imminent departures of Manning and director of basketball operations Barry Hinson — who took the Southern Illinois head coaching job Wednesday — would not serve as a distraction heading into Saturday’s Final Four semifinal versus Ohio State (7:49 p.m., Superdome).

“When a team is successful,” Self said, “you hope your assistants have an opportunity to benefit. We were fortunate to have two guys get jobs yesterday. I don’t know how often that happens. A big deal for me was, I told those respective schools, ‘I’m fine with this, but let’s do it now. I don’t want the rumors and everybody being interviewed and have to lie and say you haven’t taken a job. Let’s get it out of the way now and handle questions tomorrow.’

“I told our players last night Barry got the job, and Danny told them he more than likely was going to get the job. Our players are fine. They are happy for our guys. This isn’t a distraction for our guys at all. Trust me, Danny and Barry are not working on Tulsa or Southern Illinois now.”

Junior center Jeff Withey said: “It’s not a distraction by any means. We’re happy for both of them. Danny’s been an awesome coach and great mentor. It’s sad to see him go, but I’m happy for him. He deserves it. I still have a couple more days to milk as much knowledge as I can from him.”

Junior guard Elijah Johnson added: “I’m happy they’ve been able to take care of their families and have a better situation. Jayhawk Nation will always love them. It shows how winning benefits everybody. I never thought I’d be able to help somebody get a job. For us (players) to be part of the reason makes me feel good and want to win even more.”

The Tulsa World reported that Manning agreed to a four-year, $2.5 million deal.

Brett Ballard on leaving Baker for Tulsa after two years: “I thoroughly enjoyed my time coaching the Baker University men’s basketball team. I was fortunate to work with a group of dedicated players, committed to the classroom and basketball court. I will always be grateful for President Pat Long and athletic director Theresa Yetmar having the confidence to give me my first head coaching opportunity in college basketball. The support I received from the administration, alumni and the community was amazing. Seeing all the orange at the national tournament at Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City is something I will never forget. Baker University is an amazing place and I am very humbled to have been their head coach.”

Noted BU President Long ong: “Brett did exactly what we asked of him — to bring a new level of play and excitement to our basketball program. He did just that and more. He became a leader on campus and within the community. He was Baker through and through. I will miss him as a coach and as a person.”

Hug it out: Hinson said right after KU’s victory over North Carolina on Sunday, he gave Self a hug to celebrate KU’s advancing to the Final Four. During the embrace, Self leaned over.

“The only thing that could make this better,” Self told him, “is if you get the job.

“That’s the kind of guy I’ve worked for the last four years,” Hinson said. “There are a lot of stories out there about coaches, but for a guy to turn around and say that right after he knows he’s going to the Final Four, I think that speaks volumes of what type of guy Bill Self is.”

Hinson said the thing he’d miss most is ... “walking out of that tunnel onto the court in the mecca of college basketball.”

Comments

Jayandseahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

KU breeds winners in all aspects of lfe, and on the court and on the field, Jayhawks always show class, determination, and sportsmanship.

waywardJay 2 years, 5 months ago

And the fact Calipari was once one of us?

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

There seems to always be a bad apple mixed in with the good apples. Even though they aren't spotted quickly, it doesn't take long till they become apparent. Just as in recruiting, you don't know what you're getting till they've had a chance to prove themselves one way or the other. Question: How many apples have fallen from Cal Lie Pari's tree, and landed head coaching jobs?

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 5 months ago

Josh Pastner at Memphis. Polar opposite of Cal however. Only one year with Cal at Memphis right before KY paved the way with grease for Cal to slither up to Lexington. Pastner is a clean cut young guy who has the reputation for never having uttered a "cuss" word in public or in the course of his coaching career. The year under Cal obviously didn't infect him with anything that is apparent that can be traced to Cal as negative, thank goodness. Pastner was, truthfully, not the first choice as HC at Memphis. A search was done and more than 6 candidates were scrutinized. Maybe this is why he was hired, since he was so innocent and unaffected by Cal.

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

surfingjayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Exception to the rule. Notice Larry Brown isn't hanging around the Kentucky program.

RJ King 2 years, 5 months ago

Randomness: Did anyone catch the wink from Townsend to Hinson with 2-3 minutes leff in the UNC game? Reminiscent of "The Sting."

I totally dig Self's management of rumor central. He is the Anti-Drama.

The chemistry that has developed over the years with this group is so real. They are like co-horts in crime - stealing what no one thought possible. They pulled a fast one! Gotta LOVE EJ's comments. He gets the Karma, the Play-it-Forward aspect it all.

up4par2000 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree fully, I am proud to be a Jayhawk every single day. I hope Larry Brown chooses to join the KU Coaching Staff.

jhox 2 years, 5 months ago

I can't see that happening, but it would sure be awesome if it did.

JHawkfan32 2 years, 5 months ago

Why in the WORLD would he do that? He is obviously retired and he definantly wouldn't want to be an assistant!

onetonhand 2 years, 5 months ago

You haven't been reading the interviews with Larry Brown. He doesn't sound like he is interested in being a head coach again. I think he is considering a position with KU right now.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 5 months ago

Larry brown indicated he is interested in the HC position at SMU.

REHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Hey, it's an adrenalin high racing thru the blood, this coaching thing. After a lifetime of it, why wouldn't a guy wish to die on centercourt? It's like motorcar racing or fishing or bowling or singing karaoke. Whatever churns the human motor. Go for it, and die with the adrenalin surges! Larry brown is bound to coach again before he drops to the burner.

JD Roth 2 years, 5 months ago

You are misinformed!! Stay tuned!!

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 5 months ago

Why not? If he just wants to be involved, contribute, make a little money with less pressure, who in their right mind is going to say...so pitiful that Larry Brown has been reduced to a mere assistant? Larry surprised people when he came to KU the first time. I think he genuinely has fond thoughts toward KU and wouldn't mind it at all. I love the speculation of it. He would be adored by the fans. He could be to KU BB what Fam was to football. I also think coach Self is not likely to be insecure at all. I can see it. Don't know where these thoughts started, but I like it.

Stephen Johnson 2 years, 5 months ago

Larry has always kept a part of his heart linked to KU. I would love to see him in the role of Director of Basketball Operations.

cklarock 2 years, 5 months ago

+1 gazillion. This would be a massive coup.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 5 months ago

Do you even know what the position of Director of Basketball Operations is?

Here is a generic description of the position: http://www.ehow.com/about_6672155_director-basketball-operations-job-description.html

Note the part that says: "On the college level, the NCAA strictly prohibits the director of basketball operations from coaching, assisting in coaching or recruiting."

Here is the job description for an actual position: http://www.hoopcoach.org/profiles/blogs/director-basketball-operations-job-description

There is no way that Larry Brown, a Hall of Fame coach would take that position.

Aligned 2 years, 5 months ago

Well done, Gary. A very enjoyable read.

AsadZ 2 years, 5 months ago

At this stage I can't see Larry working under Self. He wants a head coaching job. Word on the street is that SMU may hire him.

UmbertoConforti 2 years, 5 months ago

I hope you're just not dreaming. Brown would be a major stroke, but I doubt he wants to be anyones assistant. Remember this guy is the elite. He was at KU five years and with a few better breaks could have won two national titles instead of one. He's a basketball genius and anyone would want to have him no matter how old he is.

Good luck to Hinson and Manning, but I sure hate to see them go.

2 years, 5 months ago

“Remember this guy is the elite.”

The only head coach to have won an NCAA National Championship and an NBA Championship. Elite Hall of Fame coach indeed.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Dude....When I was in middle school, Manning and Turgeon came and put on a basketball clinic at our high school. I was fortunate enough to attend this camp. Everything this article says about Manning is true through and through. The guy was so humble and he appears to be the same person he was back in '86. Happy for him if this is what he wants, but very sad to see him leave the program. Best of luck to you, Danny.

Sally Presson 2 years, 5 months ago

I was sick when I heard Danning & Hinson were leaving, but that' very selfish of me. I do wish them the best and know they will take their teams to the highest level. I've always felt Danny was extremely humble. He's taught our players so much and how lucky they've been to have him. He made the twins what they are today, I know they had to want to get better, but Danny's had so much to teach them, he's been there done it. And Coach Self--what a guy, there is just no one like him, he's good through and through. He always does the right thing. We're so blessed!!

Luke Kay 2 years, 5 months ago

+1 I really hoped to have Danny on the staff forever LOL. It will be weird to see him as anything other than a Jayhawk. It is a HUGE loss to the basketball program, the work he did with our front court was noth short of outstanding. Not to mention a HUGE loss to the community

KGphoto 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm just so proud that my school is carrying itself with an unprecedented amount of class, decorum and gratitude. I'm glad that my kids can see it too. We have one getting ready to decide on a school pretty soon and he really loves the idea of KU right now.

I know it's not all that common for a teenager to appreciate that sort of thing (decorum, gratitude, etc.), but he sees the way we appreciate it. I can tell the tradition and pride at KU, carried out with the above mentioned characteristics is something he's drawn to. So cool.

cool_beans 2 years, 5 months ago

i wish both of them the best of luck. somebody get Raef Lafrentz on the phone.

KGphoto 2 years, 5 months ago

I kind of like the idea of slating the occasional Tulsa matchup now. Danny bringing his boys into AFH would be totally opposite of Roy and Carolina. I'm sure it would be a love fest, win or lose. Self and his boys going back to Tulsa would probably be the same thing.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

Best wishes to Danny and Barry...something tells me we will be seeing Danny again some day!!

FUN FACTS:

I have been to the Superdome for the Rams Super Bowl in 2002:

Size of a football field: 300 ft x 160 ft = 48,000 s.f.

Size of a basketball court: 94 ft x 50 ft = 4700 s.f.

You could hardly see anything on the football field...guess what it will be like for an area 10 times smaller!!!!!!

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 5 months ago

Essentially all the decent seat are those that are assembled for the tournament. If you have one of the permanent seats, you probably are better of watching at home on a nice, big flat screen. Here is the layout: http://www.superdome.com/uploads/2012FinalFourFullMapFinal.pdf

jhox 2 years, 5 months ago

You're right. I went in 2003, and was in a section that was roughly half way up. The guys looked tiny out there. I hate to think what the nose bleed seat views looked like. I agree with the person below who said you're better off watching on a nice, big flat screen.

benderjd 2 years, 5 months ago

Happy for Coach M, but sad none the less. Take heart, Jayhawk Nation. There's a Manning-like clone coming next year to Lawrence from Wichita who is just as genuine, just as humble and perhaps just as gifted (though a few inches shorter) as the Leader of the Miracles.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 5 months ago

Rock Chalk! Many thanks to Danny, and Barry for the years and championship(s) you have helped us Jayhawks attain.

Joe Baker 2 years, 5 months ago

This makes any accomplishment special. Ed Manning would be so proud. It reminds me of the '88 NC game when Ed said, "...settle down Danny..." I can hear something different at this point. What a wonderful father/son moment this would be for both men. What an encouragement and challenging moment this is for all father/son duos to cherish every moment of life.

I wish Ed were here to share in this with DMan.

surfingjayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I love Elijah's take on the moves. Great perspective. Now send them off with another banner.

Joe Baker 2 years, 5 months ago

I’d also like to thank coach Self for giving me the chance to be a part of his staff for the past nine years. I have learned a tremendous amount about the game and the profession from him and all of the members of his staff. - DManning

Mentorship at it's finest.

Joe Baker 2 years, 5 months ago

All I can say is WOW!

REHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Bill Self was born to lead Kansas Basketball. Even HEM has clamped his molars this week, and chosen not to bash the Self Enthusiasts. Bill Self's natural spiel is to unleash the right words at the right moment. What a terrific mentor to coach with and play for. Great to read that Elijah has captured the spirit of his head coach's take on the two departures.

Joe Baker 2 years, 5 months ago

Congrats to both well deserving men.

Now let's go get a NC and top it all off with some sweet icing.

RCJH

actorman 2 years, 5 months ago

That would be the perfect way to send them off, wouldn't it?

Can't wait for the Self-Calipari rematch (and same result)!

apeoples410 2 years, 5 months ago

T-Rob and Self both passed over for POY and COY by AP??? Brutal! Hopefully this gives the team even more motivation for Saturday!

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 5 months ago

It can't hurt. I am just so thrilled to see how Coach Self knows how to get it done. I remember Roy losing to Arizona when he had Pierce, losing to Duke never being able to effectively adjust. It sure seemed to me that he approached the game like it was football...stick with the game plan.

REHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Good news finds, AzHawk97. Muchas gracias! Mama Hudy. Forcefeeding breakfast burritos to our 7' center!

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Someone on the KU staff should buy a dozen copies of this issue, circle the article in red, and send them to each recruit KU is spotlighting it's recruitment towards. (And keep a copy on file for the future, as well.)

I'm sure Hudy gets paid pretty well, but I'd hope she is being paid top money for her services. I'm sure Self would back her 100%.

mustlehustle 2 years, 5 months ago

If you have a chance, catch Tommy Penders comments about Kansas vs. Ohio State. Granted, Penders career as a coach didn't end well at Texas, but it was the reason KU was able to have Luke Axtell play for them. Penders really breaks down the ineptness of Roy Williams and staff's coaching in the last 8 minutes of the game against Kansas and why he believes Kansas beats OSU tomorrow night.

mustlehustle 2 years, 5 months ago

catch those comments from his appearance on JT The Brick's show last night on Fox Radio!!!

nwhawkfan 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the Hudy love AZ !

Nice to know that even though the a good chunk of the Douglas County coaching fraternity is off for greener pastures (and deservedly so), we'll still have the Secret Weapon.

Hope Danny or Barry doesn't steal her away.

Paul Hurley 2 years, 5 months ago

got buddies that work at KU, said there are rumors going around about Larry Brown joining the KU staff in some way! RCJHGKU!

Nikki May 2 years, 5 months ago

Yeah Brown and the recruiting sanctions, that's what we need at KU. My first experience with Kansas Basketball was the Danny and the Miracles team. I'd just recently moved to Kansas and had never gone to a school where we watched college basketball during class. (or at all really, I moved to Kansas from Lincoln, NE and before that Washington state.) Anyway, they end up winning and poof, new coach and a program with sanctions. Am I missing the desirability here?

Kye Clark 2 years, 5 months ago

The sanctions had nothing to do with that team, so it didn't diminish or taint the win. From what I understand it had a lot to do with the athletic department as a whole, and if it was handled better the sanctions could have been avoided. And if you're one of 3 coaches to bring a National Championship to KU, you're pretty much revered for life in Lawrence.

Aside from the sanctions, Brown is regarded as one of the more brilliant basketball minds of our time. A true Xs & Os genius.

So yeah, you're missing something

Kye Clark 2 years, 5 months ago

Furthermore...way to just dismiss the fact he was the coach of the Danny and the miracles team you watched win the championship. "Anyway, then end up winning and...". Before you get on with your "and", let the first part of that settle in.

Nikki May 2 years, 5 months ago

I understand what you are saying, and thanks for the reply. I'm basically trying to get the whole concept. Especially as a person who wasn't born bleeding crimson and blue. Someone who went to see the Sonics and Mariners as a kid, not KU anything. Honestly, I didn't even know anything about KU as a kid until moving to Nebraska. And even then, Nebraska was all about football. So, still nothing on the basketball front.

My question was basically, yeah he's a good coach, but it APPEARS that it hurt the program. I think you answered some of that.

Steve Brown 2 years, 5 months ago

Where is Jeremy Case, he was coach in progress, maybe follow Ballard?