Thursday, March 29, 2012

Danny Manning hired as Tulsa’s head coach

Kansas assistant coach Danny Manning makes his way from the bus to the team hotel as the Jayhawks arrive at the JW Marriott in downtown New Orleans, Wednesday, March 28, 2012.

Kansas assistant coach Danny Manning has been announced as Tulsa's 29th head basketball coach, UT athletic director Ross Parmley announced Thursday morning.

“I’m excited and looking forward to being the head basketball coach at The University of Tulsa," Manning said in a release. "I want to thank President Upham, Ross (Parmley) and the search committee for allowing me this tremendous opportunity to coach at a university with a fine basketball tradition. I’d also like to thank (Kansas) coach (Bill) Self for giving me the chance to be a part of his staff for the past nine years. I have learned a tremendous amount about the game and the profession from him and all of the members of his staff.

Because Manning, 46, is coaching with the NCAA Final Four-bound Jayhawks, the official news conference introducing him as the Golden Hurricane coach will be held next week.

“I look forward to meeting with our TU players, the ardent Golden Hurricane fans, the campus and Tulsa community and the media," Manning said. "Right now my focus is on Kansas and its participation in the Final Four. We’ve worked extremely hard to get to this point and we want to keep it going for another few days.”

Manning is in his ninth season on the KU men's basketball staff. In March 2007, he officially became an assistant coach for the Jayhawks.

“We are extremely excited to have Danny join The University of Tulsa as our new head basketball coach. He epitomizes everything our university stands for," Parmley said. "His impact on young people will extend far beyond the TU basketball program and reach well into our campus and community. His 15 years in the NBA combined with the last nine years under one of the best coaches in the country, have helped mold him into a great teacher and coach of basketball. He most definitely brings the excitement, the style of basketball, and character that we were looking for in our head coach."

Comments

smccullough 7 years, 7 months ago

Only one Danny M., but BIll has resources to hire top notch assistants to fil any need he has.

FoCoCoHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Young coaches gotta be lining up for the chance to learn stuff from Self.

7 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations, Coach Manning!

Bottom Line Note to KU Fans: we still have Bill Self :^)

Eric Dawson 7 years, 7 months ago

Great opportunity for Danny, we're very happy for him and his family. Must confess it is like a beloved nephew moving away. My wife and I have followed him for almost 30 years, since it was announced Ed Manning was going to be on Larry's staff and Danny would be attending Lawrence HS -- and hopefully KU the next year.

Announcing now and getting it over is definitely the way to go. Stops the media from pestering everybody with questions about Tulsa and allows everybody to focus on the Final Four.

Bill won't have any problems getting a new assistant, there will be great people calling him asking to learn at the hand of the master. Bill's problem will be finding the right "fits" for his 2012-13 staff, but the hard part will be the choice, not finding good people.

But none of them will be Danny Manning. He will be missed.

Danny excels at everything he puts his mind to, so watch out, D1, there is a true Golden Hurricane coming, really, really soon...

Kyle Coffey 7 years, 7 months ago

2 now, maybe 3 with Dooley always a head coaching candidate. Shows that the staff this year opened some eyebrows across the country with helping this team to the Final 4..

Morganna 7 years, 7 months ago

Congradulations Danny!!!!! What a wonderful site seeing Danny step off the bus yesterday wearing KU blue. Dejavue for me!

Ardy Dehdasht 7 years, 7 months ago

This is great for Manning and bad for my heart... I guess now Tulsa is my second favorite team.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 7 months ago

No doubt..These are headlines I had hoped I would never read. Two big hits already to the coaching staff but I'm sure there are quality coaches who would love to learn under HCBS.

Has Bruce Weber applied yet?

Ardy Dehdasht 7 years, 7 months ago

I was thinking Wayne Simien the big man coach and Larry Brown as an adviser to the program/ assistant coach.

Bruce Weber would be a good pick up but highly unlikely.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 7 months ago

Are you actually suggesting Bruce Weber? The Bruce Weber that conducted a mock funeral for HC Bill Self after he left Illinois? That Bruce Weber?

dylans 7 years, 7 months ago

I was hoping he was being sarcastic.

obamasocks 7 years, 7 months ago

Still my favorite basketball player of all time, will never forget the '88 championship when I was 9 years old, or the penant autographed by him. With the '08 championship under his belt and a crazy good bball team at KU for YEARS and YEARS now, this is no surprise and well deserved.

We'll miss you!!!

GeoHawk15 7 years, 7 months ago

Congrats Danny! Very happy for you, but at the same time sad to see you go.

gchawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Best of luck, Danny, and thanks for all you've done for KU.

Glenn Moore Jr 7 years, 7 months ago

I think that him getting a head coaching job is a Good thing. manning is a KU man thru and thru... and if he does as well as most project it will do nothing but reflect well on coach self and the university. I have heard some folk say this is going to hurt the program and such.. I really dont see it that way. the first thing that kids say i choose this school or that one to play for this head coach or that head coach.. asst coaches are important but mostly its the head coach. and we still have the best in the business. I think this allows coach to go out and get some asst coach that have ties to areas that would help us in recruiting in areas that we havent gotten many players.. just a thought

Freedman Moor 7 years, 7 months ago

Its all of our fault. We've been talking up Danny for the past few years. Someone listened. I'm pump for him big time though! I sure hope Self goes and gets Vaughn. I would LOVE to see Jacque back in Lawrence!

TxJyHwk 7 years, 7 months ago

While it would be fun to have Jacque back in Lawrence....Self needs a big man coach, not a guard coach

DCLawHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Right, we don't want to be like Duke and have a guard coaching our big guys.

easyfive 7 years, 7 months ago

Jacque said, I was waiting for the kickback... Good answer!

GraniteHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

I've been thinking about this a lot today and a couple names come to mind.....Russell Robinson and Scott Pollard. Bill has always been a tremendous supporter of Russell and I could see him bringing him in to mentor him. I will admit the Scott may be a long shot, but there is no bigger, more vocal supporter of KU with NBA experience than Scott. I would think he could teach young bigs a thing or two. I also think both would relate exceptionally well with recruits. Jacque would be another great selection and perhaps one could take Barry's role for a few years. With Danny already tapping Brett Ballard on the shoulder, it would not surprise me to see Jacque with him if not us

AaronHawk19 7 years, 7 months ago

Congrats Danny, you have earned it. As for a new coach, I want Jacque Vaughn. He played a long career in the league and has been an assistant for the Spurs for the last two seasons. Popavich says he is a star in the making and has an unbelievable way of relating to players. Lets turn big man U into point guard U with another guy hanging in the rafters.

Ron Franklin 7 years, 7 months ago

really hope this does not cost us Tony Parker, nor any other 'big' prospect.

RJ King 7 years, 7 months ago

Parker seems rare in that he is considering a number of factors in making his decision. Or maybe it's just rare that an in-depth article was written to reveal a recruit's thought process and family influence.

I think most recruits look at playing time, head coach, potential teammates, playing time, personal development, playing time, campus atmosphere, playing time, distance from home, playing time. Along the way, they become close to any assistant coach who can sell them on these things.

I still see Parker announcing for ucla the day after Shabazz does the same.

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm not sure I agree with that. After watching Shabazz for a while last night, I don't see why anyone who ever wants to touch the ball would want to be on a team with Shabazz.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 7 months ago

No matter what, it is still Bill Self's High/Low Offense that attract Bigs. We will find another 'Bigs' Asst. Coach. If this changes Parker's mind, he wasn't very committed to Kansas.

Shane Garrett 7 years, 7 months ago

Was there with you in Detroit in 88. You where unstoppable. Best wishes. I know Coach Manning will be up for the task at hand in Tulsa.

WoolyMammoth 7 years, 7 months ago

Lets go out and get him a 3rd National Championship as a going away present!

Gregor Southard 7 years, 7 months ago

Congrats to both, but seriously, you couldn't wait until Tuesday to announce? Hello, distractions.

Ryan Shelton 7 years, 7 months ago

I see it differently. Had they waited to announce, the distraction of whether they were leaving would have been a huge hinderance. Remember Roy in '03? This way it's over with and we can focus on the game.

kufankam 7 years, 7 months ago

i share your thoughts exactly. name, claim it, move on to focus on the taske at hand. i appreciate the way in which hinson and manning were hired. now everyone can stop worrying/asking/talking about it. if we don't win it all, saying these two hires caused it would be foolish.

Phoghorn 7 years, 7 months ago

Ah, but at least the players know. If anything, this will just add fuel to their fire to win one for Coach Manning.

Alex Berger 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm with the other posters in thinking that it is less of a distraction knowing that Manning is going to be gone next year. Now the players can take advantage of the time they have left and have yet another reason to leave it all on the court Saturday (and hopefully Monday too).

Josh Galler 7 years, 7 months ago

I heard rumors KU will hire Wayne Simien for Hinson's replacement, and re-hire Norm Roberts or hire Vaughn, which I am good for all three

AaronHawk19 7 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. Self will get good coaches in place. I think it is time for some new blood on the recruiting trail. Jacque Vaughn Please!

joshar 7 years, 7 months ago

I think it would be a good idea to have Simien replace Hinson to give him some experience. I think give him some time and he would probably be a great big man coach.

cojayhawk99 7 years, 7 months ago

I agree, I think Simien could be a terrific big coach. Vaughn could be a great guard coach. Not that they have to go with former KU players but it would be fun to see them on the sideline.

lee3022 7 years, 7 months ago

I think that is incorrect. That position does not sit on the bench but can attend practices with hands-on coaching. It is precisely where Danny Manning started for his first four years.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 7 months ago

There are two vacancies; only one is a coaching position. The Director of Basketball Operations is not allowed to coach or recruit, and basketball playing experience is not a requirement; he is basically a Logistics Manager.

The coaching position is for a "bigs" coach. Simien, maybe; Vaughn, probably not.

lee3022 7 years, 7 months ago

CrissaxJayhawk16 7 years, 7 months ago

Yeah I'm thinking KU should hire Wayne Simien. I'm sure he'd be a great coach.

arcticjhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

I wonder what Wilt the Stilt is up to these days......

Sam Brockert 7 years, 7 months ago

For anyone complaining about the timing...Do you really think they would come out and say this if Danny felt it would be detremental to the team this weekend? Heck, it may just be more motivation.

Since79 7 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations Coach Manning. This hire just reinforces the KU tree that reaches across the nation! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

the_realest_mccoy 7 years, 7 months ago

The University of Tulsa goes by TU, not UT. Just like KU does. UT is in Austin, Texas. Come on, "Staff Reports"

hawksince51 7 years, 7 months ago

No big surprise and I'm happy for Danny. I had always hoped he did not need to chase the really big bucks, wanted to stay in Lawrence and did not want the pressure of being a HC. Obviously, a false hope. I do not think anyone can quite replace his ability to coach up bigs on footwork. His track record in that regard is without parallel. But just like with players, KU and Self will reload the Asst. Coach ranks. rock chalk

Ryan Mullen 7 years, 7 months ago

I lived in Tulsa for awhile and loved it!!!! You will love Tulsa Danny, Congratulations. Just beautiful rolling hills down in Tulsa.

jaybate 7 years, 7 months ago

"Eighty Minutes over New Orleans"

Here's how it is with these unfortunate announcements about assistants changing jobs when KU is in the Final Four.

Self isn't.

Joe isn't.

Kurtis isn't.

Brennan isn't.

Forbes isn't.

And Danny and Barry won't be till 11pm Monday.

We went through this with Roy.

We'll never know if it change the outcome of the game, but we know it got us a better coach that recruits the whole country and puts KU first, second and third.

If we lose this Final Four, we'll never know if it had an effect on our big men, or what.

But we know Danny and Barry are quality guys that are not sneaking out on us, or splitting because they don't like the AD, or because their strings are being pulled behind the scenes by a former KU coach.

This is a healthy situation. We want people getting better. Part of an assistant coach getting better is becoming a head coach. Right now, I feel bad for Joe Dooley, because he hasnt gotten a head job. Joe is as important to the success of our team as Barry and Danny, and Joe is just as deserving. You have to wonder what some of these idiot ADs want in a guy, if they don't want Joe Dooley. Joe can coach. Joe can make adjustments. Joe can translate metrics into Ws. Joe's family could use some head coaching checks.

Still, it is more awkward. It means our staff and players might have to spend a few minutes, or hours, with concentration diverted from the task at hand, a few minutes or hours that might have been the difference between our guys concentrating non stop and staying in a zone versus not, between winning and not. That's a fact.

When Eisenhower was about to give the go ahead for D-Day, he didn't have key staff coming to him a few days before, responding to news leaks, saying, "I'm outta here on D+2 once the landing is successful."

On the other hand, we are talking about the Lawrence Airmen here.

We are talking about the Fighting 332rd.

We are not talking about a regular bunch of D1 dogs.

We are talking about Captain Tyshawn Taylor, about Thomas "Bomber" Robinson, about Jeff "B-17" Withey, about Kevin "B-25" Young, about wing men Elijah "P-51" Johnson, Travis "P-47" Releford, and Conner "P-40" Teahan, and their backups.

We are talking about a group of young men that would, if confronted by the entire flipping Luftwaffe, say, "Chill, play defense, run the stuff, and we'll find a way to take these bastards down somehow."

These are the can do boys from as astra per aspera country.

These are the guys who eat bad breaks for breakfast and crap gold nuggets by lunch.

These are the guys who have had almost nothing beyond their control go right for them this season.

These are the Crimson and Blue Tails.

I can see Tyshawn right now looking at Thomas smiling that beautiful smile of his and saying, "Its the same old shizz, Superman. Everyone doubts us but us."

FOGBALL 7 years, 7 months ago

Hmmmm....I wonder what Whithey thinks about this?

jaybate 7 years, 7 months ago

he Lawrence Airmen were destined to have this problem to overcome. Everyone and everything has stood in their way, or been put there, this season, so why not coaching instability, too? Last off season, it wasn't even sure which conference they would play in. Disingenous doubting national media heaped scorn on them, said they had no chance to win their conference. Players left early. Recruits didn't come. Some that came couldn't get eligible to play. They faced a incomparably tough pre conference schedule fit for a returning champion, not a rebuilding team. Hoiberg threw weird offenses from the 9th NBA Dimension at them. Scott Drew and his magical mystery recruits hogged the spotlight. Knee surgeries came and went. Hyper extended every things. Stress reactions. Boots. Tweaked knees. Thug ball. Bang ball. Head slapping. 4 guard offenses. Swallowed whistles. Biased whistles. Hair-brained, incompetent whistles. Sickness. Coaches that wondered out loud if they were good enough. Journalists that doubted. Board rats that doubted. The off season started with Fukushima ferchrisssake!!

The First American Revolutions was in peril from the moment it was declared. It was in peril till the moment the war was won with a brilliant, decisive and deceptive maneuver by Washington to move his army undercover of darkness by ship from outside New York City to join French forces and surround, siege and defeat the limey bastards at Yorktown, Virginia.

The Second American Revolution started in Lawrence, Kansas, on October 15, 2011.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident...."

The non Micky Ds, the men with everything against them, the men who slogged long and hard across The Canal of the regular season, and who turned the tide at the Battle of the Tenaru in that god forsaken hell hole of Columbia, and who then began island hopping to the Final Four, the men that then mythically transmogrified before our eyes into the Fighting 332rd, these guys who are fighting for us all now, these guys have now to deal with the obstacle of their own coaches letting their own agendas get in the way of the Fighting 332rd.

Its like water off a duck's back.

The Lawrence Airmen are flying to target.

Destination: Superdome.

Mission: Eighty Minutes over New Orleans.

First sortie: The Lo-hio State Suckeyes and their whining coach that complains about one player being out for one game, when the Lawrence Airmen have had to fly the entire campaign without 5star Ben Mac and Chicago Muscle Man Jamari Traylor.

The Lawrence Airmen.

They fight.

They fight.

They fight.

Fly the plane.

jaybate 7 years, 7 months ago

It would appear BABBOY labors without reproductive organs.

kellerman411 7 years, 7 months ago

It really sucks that Danny had to come out with this when Tony Parker is set to announce where he is going in just a few days. Oh well, that would be being dishonest to Tony. Danny has worked hard and made plenty of sacrafices for KU. If we lose Tony, that's ok. Good luck Danny, and thanks for the memories.

dylans 7 years, 7 months ago

We still have Huddy and run a high low offense. If he wants to be a Jayhawk he will be, otherwise I wish him the best elsewhere.

W Keith Swinehart II 7 years, 7 months ago

Huge Congratulations to you Coach Manning. We hate to see you go, but love to see you reach a big milestone. KU basketball will be fine with Coach Self and his assistants (future) and staff. Enjoy your ride. It's Evolution, baby!

Phoghorn 7 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations to Coach Manning! Okay, I admit I had flashbacks to the time that Manning, Piper, and Brown left us in 1988, but I know that KU and Tulsa are in good hands.

ThatGirl2 7 years, 7 months ago

Danny Manning is a class act. Always has been! Big Congrats to him--from a woman who remembers being an 11 year old girl, obsessed with KU Basketball and running into Danny at Dillons on Mass just after the Championship. He was so sweet to me, and graciously signed an autograph for me without seeming annoyed. It still sticks out how nice he was, even back then.

FZJayhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Danny Manning IS THE MAN!!! Best of luck to you Danny, you will be a great influence on the players and fans at Tulsa U. and wherever else you go in life.

Now....LET'S BEAT OSU!!!

KU...Wear Blue

Kye Clark 7 years, 7 months ago

For those of you who claim this isn't a distraction, look at Self's quote: "I'd say it's not the best timing." Why? Both Hinson & Manning are still committed to KU through the weekend, so it's not as if they're bolting before the games. It's because it's a distraction. Now, also per Self's quote, it's not a "major" distraction, but it is a distraction nonetheless.

Yes it is better to announce now rather than have the rumors swirling all weekend, but when people are complaining about the timing of this, it's the whole thing they're referring to, not just confirming the rumors to be fact.

But it is what it is, and I am truly happy for Danny. He deserves this, and while he will be missed, we'll be OK.

As for Tony Parker, I've been of the belief that we don't NEED him next year. Putting this out there beforehand, that way if he commits somewhere else I'm not playing the sour grapes card like many are with Shabazz (which I do agree next year is probably not the best time to bring in a OAD talent, while Self is trying to mesh so many new parts). If Withey leaves, it's a different story with Parker. But if Withey stays, we're set in the paint. Withey, Ellis, Peters, Lucas, KY, Wesley. More than enough, even if you don't expect Wesley to contribute much, even if you think Ellis will play the 3 (I think you're wrong, at least next year, but we'll see), still probably looking to redshirt somebody. So if Parker comes, great. Hope that everybody competes hard for playing time, and those that have to take a back seat right out of the gate will look at Withey, EJ, Releford, & TRob as examples of the good things that happen when you stick with the program. If he doesn't come, no worries.

Kye Clark 7 years, 7 months ago

Oops! Forgot Jamari Traylor in my list of next year's bigs. Someone I think we'll definitely be in the rotation. So there's just one more to the plethora of talent we have in the post.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 7 months ago

Can Tulsa University hire coaches or what!!!!!

Something tells me Coach Self is a "square off" kind of guy [i.e. I bet his checking account balances to the penny].

Therefore, he would never leave Kansas on an odd year total thus Bill stays for Kansas six more years making it 15 years total, giving Danny 6 years of head coaching experience, to learn building up, peaking, reloading and establishing a brand.

Then Bill moves onto a new challenge at the coaching peak age of 55, [The Thunder], and Danny Manning returns at 52 as the 9th coach in Kansas History with a 10 -15 year run ahead of him, with a resume of college MVP, NBA veteran, assistant and head coaching experience and All-Universe Big Man Mentor.

Jeff Bandle 7 years, 7 months ago

Yep, very plausible Oak. The question in my mind was weather Danny really wanted to get a head coaching gig or not. Now that question has been answered, it is very obvious to me that he will follow in Bill's footsteps, provided his tenure at Tulsa isn't a total, epic failure. This is crimson and blue glasses, but I think he will be a big success.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 7 months ago

Unlike Uncle Roy, I'll bet you'll see Tulsa on KU's schedule within a few years!!

DCLawHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

I hope we'll see Maryland on the schedule soon too. I liked playing against Turgeon's A&M teams.

Duke Christoffersen 7 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations, Coach M. But wow, that is bittersweet. We're gonna miss the great work he does. And frankly, I'm going to miss seeing him on the KU bench. Every time the camera finds him, I find myself reliving the '88 run.

HawkKlaw 7 years, 7 months ago

Dang it!

Congrats though, Danny Manning. You will be missed and I'm sure you'll miss Lawrence...so come back often!

Dyrk Dugan 7 years, 7 months ago

it's been a real treat to have Danny come back and learn how to be a coach, under Coach Self. Not a lot of guys with Danny's pedigree come back and take lower level assistant's jobs, become a full time assistant, and work your way up.

You will be greatly missed....your big man tutoring was 2nd to none.....but very good luck at Tulsa....we wish you and your family all the best. You will always be a Jayhawk for sure.

Now let's get in to that national title game...you still have some work to do as a Jayhawk! congrats again Mr. Danny!

Tony Bandle 7 years, 7 months ago

Sometimes life can be incredibly ironic.......

2011-2012...projected as a rebuiding year turns out to be an unforgettable Final Four year!!!

2012-2013...projected as the really good year, now with 7 new eligible players and at least two new assistant coaches, may indeed be the rebuilding year!!!

lee3022 7 years, 7 months ago

The top three coaches (tenure) have not changed. There is no rebuilding of the coaching staff. Coach Self handles the strategy and most of the tactics. He has also gained over the last nine years - learning from Danny and others. I see no reason the KU will not be in the hunt by tournament time next year - with our ninth consecutive Big XII championship.

FSJHAWK 7 years, 7 months ago

arcticjhawk (anonymous) says…

I wonder what Wilt the Stilt is up to these days. If Wilt could come back then we should see if Coach Phog is available

John Sheehan 7 years, 7 months ago

Tulsa just became my second favorite College Basketball team...

bradh 7 years, 7 months ago

It would be nice if the LJW, in addition to their Hawks in the NBA had a sidebar with what former KU players are doing, or at least show those who are in the profession in some way - coaching, gm, etc. Be nice to see.

Bill Kackley 7 years, 7 months ago

My congratulations to Danny. He will be missed. I am tired of people continuing to rag on Roy, he gave us 15 great years and I would guess is more loyal to KU than any other former head coach is to their former school(maybe excluding LB). He is a big part of the rebirth of Kansas basketball that has given us 821 wins against only 197 losses since Larry Brown took over the team 28 years ago. A record I'd bet no other school can claim.

KU_Phogified 7 years, 7 months ago

Thanks Danny, for coming to KU when you could have gone anywhere. Thanks Danny, for being the Ultimate Jayhawk. Thanks Danny, for being on our staff, working behind the scenes, and developing the nation's most potent inside attack. Thanks Danny, for your work with the Miracles and Coach Brown and bringing the Title to KU in 1988. Thanks Danny, for being who you are; just the greatest of representatives for the University of Kansas.

Good luck, Danny - in your new job. May the basketball Gods shine upon you.

FLJHK 7 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations to Coach Manning, a true Jayhawk legend now and always. Tulsa continues its tradition of outstanding basketball coaches. The only effect on the Final Four will be just a bit more incentive to win one more NC. Rock Chalk!

jgkojak 7 years, 7 months ago

THIS IS NOT A DISTRACTION and NOT A PROBLEM.

1) Hinson isn't allowed to coach players anyway (per NCAA rules on # of asst coaches).

2) Manning - sure, the players will miss him, but I am positive every one of them is wishing him well and excited for his success. Period. Remember, when your HC goes, EVERYONE (assistants, etc) usually go. This is just losing one valuable staff member.

3) Danny has given over 20 yrs to KU - we should wish him well and appreciate everything he has done.

Kye Clark 7 years, 7 months ago

Why did Self say this isn't the best timing?

You're not wrong on your 3 points, but please explain that quote if you don't think it's a distraction.

AaronHawk19 7 years, 7 months ago

Because any time there is even one question not about the game it is a distraction. Is it a game changer? I don't think so.

DevilHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

It's a shame to lose him, but he'll be back. Congratulations and the best of luck to him.

Ron Franklin 7 years, 7 months ago

This is all KUSHAW's fault. He changed his name to BigManU and jinxed us!

: )

justinryman 7 years, 7 months ago

I would be lying if I said that Danny Manning was NOT the reason I am a KU fan. And it was before the 88 season too.

My dad was a HS coach and went to coaches clinic Larry Brown had at KU one summer(1986), when he came back he was telling me about this young kid that could do it all, but worked harder than most anyone else that was doing the workouts. His name, Danny Manning. He also brought back a team photo like postcard, I also got one from the next year.

From that point one I have been a KU fan. I am glad that Danny has his own chance to become a head coach, using what he has learned from Self and Brown and with his work ethic I can't see anything but success in his future.

I will always be a Jayhawk fan, there is no other team to cheer for, but I will follow Head Coach Manning and his career, no matter where it takes him, and I will only wish him success and the best!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Jayhawk for Life!

miajhwk 7 years, 7 months ago

hey coach manning! how about one more championship before you go?

we will miss you!!!

Hank Cross 7 years, 7 months ago

Congrats to Danny! I hope he has a long and successful run. He's given KU more than he can ever know. I don't think its going to be a recruiting issue or a distraction that could affect the game. It's also good to have another KU alumni joining Turg and Tad in the coaching ranks. If Self were to leave in the next 10 years, we should have a good bullpen of KU alumni to get a replacement.

sigephandy 7 years, 7 months ago

Good Luck Coach Manning. Go get some experience because when Coach Self's tenure(hopefully years from now) ends we may call you back home.

westernkshawk 7 years, 7 months ago

KU basketball will never be the same without Danny. I'm sure there will be others and we'll move on but he will be sorely missed and, as I said, we'll never be the same. We all knew it would happen sometime but just never want to hear that the "sometime" has arrived! That being said, I'm sure all loyal Jayhawks appreciate the years he has given us and wish him well in this new phase of his career. And we can only hope that he'll be back sometime later but I guess just not too soon. We want Bill to stay around for many more years!! Guys, you know what you can do as a fitting "going away" present he'll never forget!! Rock Chalk Jayhawk. GO K U!!!

thisiknow 7 years, 7 months ago

I hope TU realizes what a treasure they are getting....Take care of Him. Rock It In Tulsa Big Guy!!!!!

Jack Wilson 7 years, 7 months ago

A number of good comments above.

Can we all agree on one thing -- Coach Self is the engine that makes this run.

This thing is going to run as long as Coach Self is the coach.

Look at this season -- all of us, me included -- concerned how thin we were. Playing Teahan, Wesley, Young. Two of whom probably shouldn't have been in our rotation -- meaning KU's rotation. Two that Self had recruited to ensure they weren't. Teahan and Wesley. And I think all those concerns were correct.

But Coach Self found a way to win, to meld this team into one of the top teams in the country.

Really, this was just incredible. No other way to say it.

Hinson will be replaced. Manning will be replaced.

I have mocked the "Self is God" crowd -- he does make mistakes and many can't get their heads around that. But this was amazing.

HawkKlaw 7 years, 7 months ago

"And I'm beginning to think that all our recruiting concerns were completely missing the point."

My thoughts exactly. And I accept your apology. lol

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Oh Danny boy, the Golden Hurrican, the Golden Hurricane are calling From glen to glen, and down the mountain side The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying 'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide. But come ye back when summer's in the meadow Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow 'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so.

Vittorio1224 7 years, 7 months ago

Congrats Danny! I guess we all have a new second favourite team now! We all remember that magical carpet ride back in the Spring of 1988. Danny and the Miracles....wow, it seems just like yesterday!

Best of luck!

naturalist 7 years, 7 months ago

I've been around Lawrence for longer than Danny, and can testify that since he came he sure has made Lawrence basketball all the better. Best of luck to you, Danny! We've been so lucky to have you enhance Jayhawk basketball in various ways through the years. I'll be keeping an eye on that Tulsa team.

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 7 months ago

Good luck, Danny. You will be sorely missed.

David Atchley 7 years, 7 months ago

As much press as Coach Self has received for the coaching job this year, the coaching of the 'bigs" by Manning is every bit the coaching job. I find the "timing" a bit odd that 3 days before tip-off this news has to break? Its not like Tulsa needed a coach today otherwise miss out on all the Mickey-D players from last night? This doesn't smell right....

AaronHawk19 7 years, 7 months ago

Blame Manning. He didn't have to negotiate this week, he chose to.

David Atchley 7 years, 7 months ago

Like I said....doesn't pass the smell test. I could see if it was a more formidable school. There is some unanswered questions on why Manning, much less Tulsa would purposely disrupt Final Four preparation.

sawman3333 7 years, 7 months ago

Coach Manning will be back someday as a Jayhawk---all we're doing right now is saying "Bye for now."

Matt Schwartz 7 years, 7 months ago

Was Larry Brown in town earlier this week, because I'm pretty sure he hit and ran our work dump truck. Mirror to mirror , no big deal....He's a cheater and a hit and run guy...go figure.

kansas25 7 years, 7 months ago

Brett Ballard is going with Manning to be an assistant at Tulsa. He spent two seasons at Baker University and took the Wildcats to the NAIA National Tourney for the first time since 1996. He'll be missed at Baker, but will have plenty of success I'm sure with Danny!

maxjay 7 years, 7 months ago

Waiting for Robinson to join the big man coaching staff at Kansas 20 years from now. Happy tears!

Steve Brown 7 years, 7 months ago

Danny so many memories. My 1st memory is the beginning of your freshman year we had an alumni William Fund event over in what was the new indoor football field, you grabbed a hot dog and sat down with my wife and I and then grabbed a 2nd dog and kind of, sulked down to eat it, I said what's the deal, can't you eat two?

Danny smiled and said, "Coach Brown says I eat too much, if he sees me eat this I will run!"

4 years later sitting in Kemper arena 14 seconds left, my Duke buddy says congrats, I said hold on Sooners can score fast, 7 seconds later it was a one possesion game.

Danny happy for you and happy for Tulsa, they are getting a stud.

IBRONNIEB 7 years, 7 months ago

As someone who has been a Jayhawk fan since the day I arrived on this Earth, I am of course sad to see one of the greatest players-people I have ever known, leave. But so very happy for Tulsa's gain. Smart move. I wish Danny, and family, the very best. And yes I feel somewhere down the road he will return home! Thank you Danny for the years as a player, the years as a mentor, and the years as a coach. First class, and I mean CLASS. You make me so very proud to be a Jayhawk fan.

mikehawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Well, right after I learned of TU's firing of their coach this past month, and knowing one of the athletic department Assistant AD's , I mentioned to him TU should check out Danny Manning. He didn't say much at all, and in fact, he is young enough I wasn't sure he even knew who Danny was. I later learned his lack of reaction was because Danny was in fact one of their targets. As with everyone above, I am sick for KU and our program, but so happy for Danny to get his chance. And, I am so glad to have Danny here in Tulsa. I have my undergraduate degree from Oral Roberts, so they are my first basketball love here in the city limits. But now, I have two Tulsa teams. What a game changer for a very passionate fan base here that has gradually eroded over the past 9 years. The cool thing is, people here in Oklahoma are quietly in awe of Danny because they well remember the 88 final game with Oklahoma. It is amazing the respect he has here, and amazing the respect and admiration people here in Oklahoma have of KU basketball. We are not the smartest people around, but Okie's know sports, and people here in Tulsa know the DMan is a game changer. I would love to know the guidance HCBS had with the decision as he knows all about TU, the athletic department, some of the staff, and expecially the donors and fan base. We'll miss you Danny. Welcome to Tulsa.

DDDHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations HEAD Coach Manning! We'll miss you so much! Just do your magic with our KU guys for two more games, and we will be forever grateful!

lee3022 7 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations to TU. They have acquired a very fine coach. And likely the first time they have hired a man with three rings (projecting.) Danny can recruit. Danny can coach. Danny can think on his feet. Danny can deal with alumni and press alike. Like many here I see him getting his experience and proving the things he learned from coaches Brown and Self are translating into wins for his teams. Eventually he will be back home but even if not, he follows a very long line of HOF coaches leaving Kansas for other schools and winning, winning, winning.

Danny will always be a Jayhawk to me. May you win every game except against KU, Danny.

danmoore 7 years, 7 months ago

We knew this day would come. Still my all time favorite Jayhawk.

Robert Sailler 7 years, 7 months ago

Danny had the greatest job in the world. Nobody ever said a bad word about him, he was paid a lot (though I'm sure he's set for life), and he was able to live in a town where he is a a legend. I wish him the best, but I question this decision. Good luck, Coach Danny!

fire_keegan 7 years, 7 months ago

let's face it...danny manning can do anything he wants. that being said, i'm not principled enough to act like i do not very often want to have both sides of a contradiction when stuck in the confusing hustle and bustle of everyday life.

REHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations, Coach Manning. Your tutelage with our bigs has produced million dollar player improvements and performances Your body of work stands forth as a major factor in helping to lead Kansas to so many wins and league titles. Best of good fortune in molding a very reputable hoops program at Tulsa. If or when Bell Self chooses to depart Kansas athletics, I hope to see you capably experienced, willing and available to lead the Jayhawks You have walked and talked in a most dignified style. Our players, your fellow KU coaches and fans feel pride in your head coaching opportunity; however, most of us voiced a huge sigh of regret that your time had come for stepping up and away.
Please help guide this determined Jayhawk squad to two more victories. Then...it's Tulsa Time! Lots of us will follow your team and impact upon Div. I hoops. We know where your heart will always remain....

Jeeveshawk 7 years, 7 months ago

The quality of our bigs should drop noticeably. At least we have Bill Self, and we need some new assistants because Hinson and Manning left, does anyone think Larry Brown would be interested?