Thursday, March 29, 2012

… Big Easy go

Manning headed to Tulsa?

Kansas assistant coach Danny Manning makes his way from the bus to the team hotel as the Jayhawks arrive at the JW Marriott in downtown New Orleans, Wednesday, March 28, 2012.

— It looks as if Kansas University assistant basketball coach Danny Manning will be the next head coach at Tulsa University. But, Golden Hurricane officials and KU head coach Bill Self cautioned that, despite ESPN and CBSsports.com reports that Manning had taken the job, nothing had been finalized as of Wednesday night.

“I’ll comment: ‘Not done deal,’” Self said Wednesday. “He’s had talks with them and interviewed. I know that he was very encouraged and excited about the prospect of it. It’s not done. It’s not done, but there are talks going on. Who knows what will happen next?”

Manning, who exited the team bus with the Jayhawk players and coaches after 8 p.m., had no comment on the published reports. KU assistants do not comment on other job openings as part of team policy.

Tulsa issued a statement to the Tulsa World shortly after ESPN cited sources indicating Manning had agreed to terms to become Tulsa coach.

“The University of Tulsa has not reached an agreement with any candidate for the head basketball coaching position at the school,” read the statement issued by TU’s sports information office. “As stated when the coaching search began on March 11, TU officials will not discuss any candidates until an official announcement is made by the University.”

Sources told the Journal-World Manning was working with TU on possible years of the deal. Sources said he had reached out to one or more individuals about possibly working for him on his staff at Tulsa.

Self is a former head coach at Tulsa, with connections there.

“The faces have all changed. The people that back the program are still pretty consistent,” Self said. “I have ties to that situation. If Danny is the guy there, and I’m not saying he is, but he’ll get it on his own merits, no question about that.”

Self’s director of basketball operations, Barry Hinson, was introduced as Southern Illinois’ new coach Wednesday. He hustled to New Orleans to be with the KU team about 9 p.m.

Self was asked about the timing of two of his staff members being sought by other schools.

“I’d say it’s not the best timing,” Self said. “The thing about it is, the world doesn’t stop for us. Southern Illinois needs a basketball coach. Barry Hinson will not do one thing for Southern Illinois until our season is finished. If anybody else gets a job on our staff, they will not do one thing for that respective school until our season is finished. It’s not going to be a major distraction for us. The distraction would be the day before a game. We’ll be able to talk to our players about them. We’ll be up-front with them, and they’ll know what’s going on.”

Tulsa tweet: Adding to the likelihood that Manning is headed to Tulsa is this Twitter post from his son, Evan Manning, on Wednesday night: “Never been so proud of someone in my life!!! My dad truly deserves this! But in the meantime, ROCK CHALK AND LET’S GET A CHAMPIONSHIP!!!”

No Shabazz: Shabazz Muhammad, a 6-6 guard from Bishop Gorman High in Las Vegas, said at the McDonald’s All-America game he has a final list of Duke, Kentucky and UCLA. KU was on his original list of schools.

Ellis in McDonald’s: In the McDonald’s game, KU signee Perry Ellis had four points, four rebounds and two assists.

Larry to SMU? Former KU coach Larry Brown has expressed interest in the SMU men’s basketball opening, the Dallas Morning News reports. Brown, 71, last coached the Charlotte Bobcats in 2010.

“I’m not going to be politicking for a job right now,” Brown told espn.com. “I’d like to get back involved in the game in some capacity. Whether that’s as a coach, assistant, running a team or just as a resource, I don’t care.”

Comments

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 7 months ago

Would be absolutely fantastic to get Larry Brown back in Lawrence if he and Coach Self would feel comfortable with it. Looks like we've got big shoes to fill on the staff.

Steve Gantz 7 years, 7 months ago

I'd bet a million dollars that wouldn't happen.

Kye Clark 7 years, 7 months ago

To Self's quote "the world doesn't stop for us", yeah I guess. SIU and Tulsa will never have to worry about being in a Final Four, so they'll never understand. It's the main reason I was so bitter about losing Roy. I understood him going home. It was UNC & Dean Smith, people that should have understood the distractions of the rumors they caused during the Final Four, that still have me rooting against them. I'll never consider them a "sister-program" because of that. Wish there was some NCAA rule about talking to coaches during the season. They legislate every small detail of the student athletes lives, you'd think there would be something they could do about this. Just disrespectful on those universities parts, imo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for Danny & Barry. Selfishly I'd love for them to have stayed, but wish them nothing but success in their new endeavors.

rggeiger 7 years, 7 months ago

That's just part of making deep post season runs, the schools can't wait for one guy because if he's not interested then they lose out on other options. Sucks for us but I'm glad for D Mann.

Jim Roth 7 years, 7 months ago

"Wish there was some NCAA rule about talking to coaches during the season."

The season is over for everyone except 4 schools. Hard to blame them for looking forward to next season already, when this one is done for them and likely had an unsavory ending. If it were my team, I'm be pushing the administration to start poaching from the successful teams asap! Actually, didn't we do that during football???

I'm not saying I'm happy about it, but I think it's understandable. It's sad to break up such a phenomenal coaching staff, but I guess it's inevitable. Best of luck.

RJ King 7 years, 7 months ago

I adore Danny. But remember when he came back to Lawrence and started hanging around the program to help out? And he got a title to make it official. And he eventually advanced to the title he holds now. Throughout that timeline he impacted our bigs, and created the BRAND that we now embrace with such a fierce passion.

It was an organic evolution that we were not even aware of at the time, but it slowly built up to be what it is now. Six, seven years ago we didn't even know we needed Danny. Now we can't imagine running a program without him. It hurts and it hurts BIG. No one will duplicate it. But someone else WILL do something similar, tho different.

Self will attract the best and brightest. When "this too shall pass" has, in fact, passed, another page will turn, another chapter unfold, and the saga will continue. It's all part of the Century + of Jayhawk lore that we LOVE.

PS Danny . . . Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

150to95 7 years, 7 months ago

It's great to see Larry Brown with so much involvement and it's a neat thought to have him more involved going forward. As for the second comment...someone suggest removal please!!!

Hope Danny has much success in Tulsa and I will have to get some Golden Hurricane gear too.

rggeiger 7 years, 7 months ago

So everybody has decided it just best to ignore ^This idiot^?

rggeiger 7 years, 7 months ago

The Mangino guy not you JamesA- Sorry it looks like that.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 7 months ago

You just have to understand Mangino's humor; it is satire. He is making fun of all the yahoos on this board that go overboard. 'Self can't recruit'. At half time of the MethZoo game ' It's over. Kansas will never will another game.' Blah Blah Blah. With Mangino it is a 3-step process: Read it. Think about it. Understand it.

dylans 7 years, 7 months ago

3-step process: Realize he is Major-a-hole, try to skip his comments, ignore any you accidentally read.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 7 months ago

Oh come on guys....I thought it was kind of funny, and obviously the most over-the-top answer possible!!

I agree however, has anyone ever had two acknowledged Hall of Fame coaches on the bench at the same time???......I doubt it!!

RJ King 7 years, 7 months ago

For starters there was Roy sitting next to Dean. And Consonents assisting Bob Knight in the mid 70's. I would think there might be a few other combos.

FoCoCoHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Check out some of Phog's old rosters...might find more than few.

Alex Berger 7 years, 7 months ago

He did include an assistant as a possibility... maybe we can keep Self!

bbeckum 7 years, 7 months ago

Here's an idea for a gimmick-post: I'm gonna post as a ksu fan, who's pretending to be a mu (remember them? they were in our league?), but is really a ku fan.

fansincewilt 7 years, 7 months ago

I am sad for us but happy for Danny. He is the greatest Jayhawk of all time. I have never seen anyone fight like he did in that run to the national championship. However, we're seeing some fight this year as well. I enjoy seeing Larry on the sidelines. That would be great. Can you imagine a kid getting a call by Larry Brown? Perhaps the grandparents would be more excited than anyone. Anyway, grandparents still have a lot of influence.

eastcoasthawk 7 years, 7 months ago

I can only hope that Self is right in that this and the Hinson announcement will not be a distraction as we prepare for the Final Four.

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm sure they'll miss those guys since each showed excellence in his own way, but it's a lot different from rumors that your head coach is abandoning you.

Andrew Bary 7 years, 7 months ago

So, this kid Shabazz... he has a final list of Duke, Kentucky.. and........UCLA? WTF? Let's look at the last four years for UCLA. Round of 32, no appearance, Round of 32, no appearance. Not even the NIT this year. And it's made the top 3? Methinks something fishy goes on during those little trips to Cali.

That's ok, I'm more than happy with the talent we have coming in next year. Rock Chalk! Let's get a Championship!!!

Bville Hawk 7 years, 7 months ago

A kid with his hand out maybe? Definitely a one-and-doner. We are better off without him IMHO.

rggeiger 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm with you there, I was reading an article on ESPN that talked about how Kentucky is changing the way teams are formed and that soon there may be a "Big 5" with all the talent and everybody else fighting for the chance to play them. It said that the schools that can't afford to lose, KU, UNC, DUKE, UCLA, etc...will all succumb to having teams of 1 and dones every year. The only thing that torqued me off was an offhanded comment that lumped KU into the teams that have 1 and dones. We've had what? 2? in the history of KU. and one of them just hit the "D" League.

justinryman 7 years, 7 months ago

Shabazz can go anywhere, and I'm perfectly OK with it. We all complained abut Henry and even more about Selby for coming in and leaving. Neither of those teams played well together, they didn't mesh well on and off the court.

This years team, a 5th year senior, a senior, a couple of Juniors and look at the leadership on it and the way they carry themselves on and off the court. They trust each other, they rely on each other and they care about each other.

I would rather have this type of team from this year for years to come than any of the teams from the past two years.

Joe Baker 7 years, 7 months ago

He will be Selby 2.0 I wouldn't touch him at this point. He's got too much baggage. We don't need his crap at KU. He was a showboat at the McDs AA game. He missed a dunk and frankly, I'm tired of his antics.

I'm pretty sure he's leaning ucla. That Anderson kid has been recruiting him. Hopefully, Ellis has been recruiting Parker. I think we're good at the 3 spot for a few years.

Steve Brown 7 years, 7 months ago

Shabazz will anounce UCLA Bruins, then the Judd gal will roll in with the big cheeks and he will convert to KY blue.

In an unrelated story his dad will get a Kentucky Bank job guarding Fort Knox. and bourbon for life.

Alex Berger 7 years, 7 months ago

Oh silly, John Wall and Rose never took any tests.

Spencer Goff 7 years, 7 months ago

To be honest, I don't want anymore of the one and done thing. They don't even feel like they are around.

Phoghorn 7 years, 7 months ago

Exactly! I know it works for Coach Calipari, but Coach Self seems to prefer developing talent. I personally prefer Coach Self's system, regardless of my KU loyalties. (That is Kansas University, not Kentucky University).

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 7 months ago

There is a good chance Shabazz will not playing for any school as he has a bag full of issues that the NCAA is looking into. He might well become the next Enes Kanter. KU does not the aggravation.

ParisHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

1) Agreed.

2) 100% agreed, Selby had a star-crossed year.

3) Right on. Same thing is true for Xavier Henry...

4) Very good point. Too bad you have to repeat such an obvious point since others repeatedly ignore the evidence.

5) You didn't mention our 100% APR, which proves that Selby took care of his course work just like Coach Self said, despite rumblings on this board that he took off too early for Vegas.

6) You also didn't mention the other things anti-Selbians argue: his decision to leave after one year and his offhand way of announcing it. Good decision or not, it would up not hurting the program :)

Hail_To_Thee 7 years, 7 months ago

In the words of Toby Keith: To Danny:

I'm not cryin cause I feel so sorry for ya, I'm cryin for me.

We're gonna miss ya BIG D.

Mike Mainzer 7 years, 7 months ago

Happy for Manning, but poor timing. Is it more of a distraction for the team to have the announcement or a rumor... let's ask Roy. He will be missed, but the move helps solidify KU's coaching future 10-15 years down the road. Manning has to cut his teeth somewhere as a head coach. He will be successful and should Bill choose to move on or retire, Danny will be an obvious choice so long as he's been successful at Tulsa, et al...

keith horinek 7 years, 7 months ago

It looks like Danny is gone. I only wish him the best. The timing is bad, during the final four, but whenever is the timimg right? Good luck Danny! It's time to start campaigning for Larry Brown to replace Danny Manning!

master16 7 years, 7 months ago

this is truly great news for Manning, Hinson and Brown (if he lands the SMU job), but bad news for the team this weekend. last thing we need is distractions. couldn't this wait one more week? good thing it doesn't involve our head coach, though.

Cameron Schienebeck 7 years, 7 months ago

Wayne Simien should be the new big man coach.

gchawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Great point, he would definitely get my vote.

ancient_hawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Heard through the grapevine that D Man sold his big house in Lawrence two years ago. He's just been waiting for the right job at the right time, and Bill's blessing and recommendation.

That means Bill has had almost two years to groom a replacement, and Simien sure has spent a lot of time right behind the bench in the last few seasons.

Food for thought........

rggeiger 7 years, 7 months ago

Definitely a huge loss, I really don't think it will affect the team, most players I am sure knew that they all had other futures eventually. I'm sure the rumor tree in college is similar to high school so its likely all the students knew WAY before we did that something was coming. Danny brought so much to this team, his obvious "Big Man" coaching ability, but his "Heart" will be what is hard to replace. He knows how to win, he knows what it takes to win when the odds are so deeply stacked against you. If this year doesn't prove he shared that I don't know what would.

gchawk 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm happy for Danny in the aspect of him fulfilling a dream and getting the opportunity to display his head coaching talents. We're all keenly aware of what he brings to a team, and will sorely miss his presence here, but just like we were looking for a head coach when Roy left, and just happen to find an awesome replacement, I feel confident that Coach Self will do the same in finding replacements for Danny and Barry. Best of luck gentlemen, and thanks for all you've done at KU.

dtdjayhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

I have to assume that the players were informed about this stuff before it started going public. If Self did recommend Danny then I am sure they had a sit down with the players in some fashion. It is a huge loss for the program but he hasn't left yet and the players still love him no matter what. I can say see Self and the players using this as motivation to send Danny off in the right way...with another championship, pay him back for everything he has done for them. Then we can declare this team Thomas and the Miracles. Plus, Danny will be back someday.

Rock Chalk, 2 more games and let's get this Title ...For Coach Self For Danny Manning For the Players, if these are the last two games with this team and this staff then fight to end it the right way!

Tony Bandle 7 years, 7 months ago

In the big picture, there would be a black mark on Bill's program if he DIDN'T generate head coaching candidates [how many head coaching candidates are sitting on Ben Hollands bench right now???].

The Self regime is reaching a decade and now that period of excellence is showing results...no doubt, Joe Dooley will be the next to go, maybe as soon as this year or next......but that's OK.

As long as he remains at Kansas, the key was, is and always will be Bill Self.

What promising assistant coach wouldn't love a chance to learn under this man. He will find top flight replacements who will eventually move on to coaching jobs as well.

Kansas, Kentucky and North Carolina will always be the crown jewels of NCAA basketball. We are the lucky ones because we too are part of the Jayhawk legacy.

Think of it this way...we will have seven new players next year. Maybe this is the best time to bring in new coaching talent as well. The continuity of teaching will not be interrupted. 'RCJHGKU"

justinryman 7 years, 7 months ago

Reloading, not rebuilding.

The coaching staff that is.

Hank Cross 7 years, 7 months ago

Great post. I honestly don't think that this will be a distraction at all. I assume that they will be happy for him. I don't think it's going to hurt recruiting either. I never heard of a recruit coming b/c of an asst. coach. Granted, he gave valuable lessons for the bigs and was a source of inspiration, but this is not the end of the world.

Congrats to Danny may he have great success in Tulsa!

FLJHK 7 years, 7 months ago

Exactly. This is only flattering to Coach Self and the Kansas program. The seeds of Kansas basketball continue to sprout throughout the land.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 7 months ago

Shabazz - I didn't notice .. does he have any tatoos? No? So that keeps him in the running at Duke. Really, I'm relieved we're out on him. Love high talent guys, but not that much.

Larry Brown - If we took him on as assistant, would he really recruit the way we need an assistant to recruit? Personally, I like the younger, hungry-type for this spot. Or hire Shabazz Muhammad's dad, right Larry?

Manning - Does this take us out of the Tony Parker mix? That was my first thought given the attraction Manning might provide to Mr. Parker and potential skill development.

Joe Baker 7 years, 7 months ago

This just in, Parker to the Hurrcane! No, just kidding.

7 years, 7 months ago

Regarding our chances on Tony Parker, it appears one of the things he is most concerned about is training / conditioning, and he was really impressed during his recent visit with what we have to offer.

Parker likes Hudy’s program: Tony Parker, a 6-foot-9, 250-pound senior center from Miller Grove High in Lithonia, Ga., who has a final list of KU, Duke, Memphis, Ohio State and UCLA, told ESPN.com he likes the training program at KU.

“I’ve got to go somewhere that has a crazy trainer like K.P.,” Parker said of his trainer, Kevin Peoples. “That’s one of the things I love about Kansas. I love (KU trainer Andrea) Hudy.”

“She’s a monster,” Parker added. “She’ll get you where you need to be. Kansas has a lot of things I like.”

Alex Berger 7 years, 7 months ago

The espn article also says how he is worried about the logjam of big men we will have next year. The more, the merrier I say! Merrier for us as fans, I guess.

John Randall 7 years, 7 months ago

Tony Parker seems like a smart enough guy to notice that this year's front line at KU hasn't suffered much from a couple years of riding that logjam of big men.

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 7 months ago

If it's the same video I saw, he also mentioned the chance to work with Danny Manning. Maybe he just meant working with an excellent big man coach.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 7 months ago

Remember if we add Parker, we will have to run someone off. We will be over the limit in scholarships. Right now we have four scholarship to give (Tyshawn's, Jordan's, Conner's and Thomas's). We have five new players. Justin goes back to the a walk-on status and with the help of his brother stays at Kansas. If Parker and ALL five of the new recruits come to Kansas, then pick one from this list that would leave the team: Merv, Kevin or Naadir.

RJ King 7 years, 7 months ago

Parker has mentioned a connection with Shabazz - how powerful their combined skills would be. Parkers announce date is the day after Shabazz's. They could transform a pathetic ucla team playing in a weak conference with a huge new TV deal. I think they'll both annouce for ucla. If not, I see Parker at Duke to please daddy's desired academics and mama's wish to keep him close to home..

Jackster 7 years, 7 months ago

Congrats to Danny. He will be missed, however, I'd like to think that this is part of a long term plan to build his head coaching skills and bring him back to lead KU in the next 5 or so years.

ancient_hawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Bill Self is only 48 yo. This is KU, one of about 5 or 6 plum jobs in college BB. Leaving here means moving laterally or down. He has no connections whatsoever to the other colleges with the elite jobs, unlike poor old Roy's conundrum. Why would he leave?

If he keeps his nose clean, he retires here, and that might not be for 15 years or so. So, Manning holds out for the head job at KU when he's 60? nah.

dylans 7 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, but it's nice to have a back up plan (Manning) in case something does happen. The NBA may come calling there are a few jobs in the NBA that Self has said are attractive in a past article on this site. Sorry I can't provide a link it has been too long ago for me to recall.

Bville Hawk 7 years, 7 months ago

OMG, you people are incredible. Danny has no track record at ANY level as a head coach and you are already anointing him as Bill Self's successor.

Dustin Lentz 7 years, 7 months ago

Has anyone heard if Self would seriously consider Brown as an assistant? I personally think that would be one of the best replacements we could find for Hinson or Danny. I still think Danny should remain as an assistant until Self retires, then head the KU program (in my dreams).

Marshall Ballard 7 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Bedore, what are the chances someone could come up with a list of former Hawks (players and former coaches, too) that are in the coaching profession now...at some capacity...Jeff Hawkins, Boschee, Ballard, Vaughn, Walters, etc. It would be nice to know who from Jayhawk Nation is making an impact on this fine sport...it seems our influence grows and expands each year...

on that note, the Hutch News lists Tad Boyle and Tim Jankovich as possibles for the K-State job...granted Jank played at State, but he would also take the KU influence into Manhattan, too!

just thinking outloud, but if Jankovich takes job in Manhattan, what are the chances he pulls Ballard from BU...Ballard played for Jank at HCC and then followed him to KU when Jank came on as an assistant. how weird and cool would it be to have two former Jayhawks coaching in Manhattan?

Marshall Ballard 7 years, 7 months ago

i could add...Lee at USF, "Floor Burn" Haase, Alvin Gentry, Greg Popovich, J. Case, CB McGrath, S. Woodberry, M. Doherty...

RJ King 7 years, 7 months ago

David Padgett is an asst coach at IUPUI. Now stop laughing.

Jeremy Case is an asst coach at SE Missouri State.

Joe Baker 7 years, 7 months ago

Danny Manning is my favorite all-time Jayhawk. I will definitely be following Tulsa bball down here in OKC. He's going to recruit big men to Tulsa. His NBA experience and contacts will definitely make recruits think twice.

Again, Simien would be a great replacement for Manning.

Joe Baker 7 years, 7 months ago

Bill Self comes through yet again for Tulsa. He has provided his most prized assistant coach in Manning. Self really loves Tulsa and pulled the stops by supporting Manning's decision.

Bville Hawk 7 years, 7 months ago

You make at least 3 assertions (and maybe 4 or 5) and NONE of them are based in fact.

okiedave 7 years, 7 months ago

If the TU-Manning deal is not finalized, somebody forgot to tell Channel 2 in Tulsa who announced on the 10:00 news that sources say Manning will be announced as the new head coach on Tuesday. TU must be so excited about getting a Jayhawk that they can't keep it a secret.

Steve Brown 7 years, 7 months ago

Happy for Tulsa, getting a great man.

Keep the Kansas Coaching vine alive, used to be great ones, Smith, Rupp, Catlett, Miller, so many others, now great young ones, Turgeon, Boyle, Manning, others.

James would be so proud. "We don't coach ball we play it," how funny.

Marshall Ballard 7 years, 7 months ago

anybody know where Raef is at these days? would he make a good addition?

Jackster 7 years, 7 months ago

acient_hawk, I am not suggesting that he would leave for another college, Anywhere else would be a step down at the college level. I'm thinking the NBA or a nice long retirement with a yacht, beach, the whole ball of wax (which happens to appeal to me right now).

cobweb 7 years, 7 months ago

It's official. Congrats, Danny! You'll do great.

JayDocMD 7 years, 7 months ago

If Self doesn't get exactly who he wants immediately for the openings, I could see Larry Brown coming in an official capacity for a year - until the right asst becomes available. Especially if it was understood in advance that it was a temporary situation, all involved could save face if it wasn't working out. Seems like when D Manning first came on board, his title wouldn't allow participation in practices per the NCAA? Is that right? And if so, does anybody remember the rule?

floridajayhawks 7 years, 7 months ago

I don't understand why some think this is a distraction. It's not HCBS leaving, and I'm sure the players understand that this happens. As for Coach Brown he can take Coach Hinson's spot as DBO.

bbeckum 7 years, 7 months ago

Does anybody doubt he'll be a great coach? Has he ever put a foot wrong? (insert knee-injury joke here) As a person, a player, and a coach, he's excelled, while being quietly classy. I couldn't have more respect and appreciation for him and the way he's represented ku.

And yes, we are going to beat osu, then beat kentucky and win the nc.

Against osu, Travis will have 21 points and KY will get 9pts/10 rebs. TT, Conner and EJ will hit threes. Withey will have a dbl/dbl and TRob will make it more obvious he's POY.

As for the Kentucky game? That's gonna be a dog fight and ku will win a dogfight with anyone this year.

Ardy Dehdasht 7 years, 7 months ago

Time to hire Wayne Simien as our big man coach. He played in the NBA and excellent roll model.

jaybate 7 years, 7 months ago

"Eighty Minutes over New Orleans"

Here's how it is with these unfortunate announcements about assistants changing jobs when KU is in the Final Four.

Self isn't.

Joe isn't.

Kurtis isn't.

Brennan isn't.

Forbes isn't.

And Danny and Barry won't be till 11pm Monday.

We went through this with Roy.

We'll never know if it change the outcome of the game, but we know it got us a better coach that recruits the whole country and puts KU first, second and third.

If we lose this Final Four, we'll never know if it had an effect on our big men, or what.

But we know Danny and Barry are quality guys that are not sneaking out on us, or splitting because they don't like the AD, or because their strings are being pulled behind the scenes by a former KU coach.

This is a healthy situation. We want people getting better. Part of an assistant coach getting better is becoming a head coach. Right now, I feel bad for Joe Dooley, because he hasnt gotten a head job. Joe is as important to the success of our team as Barry and Danny, and Joe is just as deserving. You have to wonder what some of these idiot ADs want in a guy, if they don't want Joe Dooley. Joe can coach. Joe can make adjustments. Joe can translate metrics into Ws. Joe's family could use some head coaching checks.

Still, it is more awkward. It means our staff and players might have to spend a few minutes, or hours, with concentration diverted from the task at hand, a few minutes or hours that might have been the difference between our guys concentrating non stop and staying in a zone versus not, between winning and not. That's a fact.

When Eisenhower was about to give the go ahead for D-Day, he didn't have key staff coming to him a few days before, responding to news leaks, saying, "I'm outta here on D+2 once the landing is successful."

On the other hand, we are talking about the Lawrence Airmen here.

We are talking about the Fighting 332rd.

We are not talking about a regular bunch of D1 dogs.

We are talking about Captain Tyshawn Taylor, about Thomas "Bomber" Robinson, about Jeff "B-17" Withey, about Kevin "B-25" Young, about wing men Elijah "P-51" Johnson, Travis "P-47" Releford, and Conner "P-40" Teahan, and their backups.

We are talking about a group of young men that would, if confronted by the entire flipping Luftwaffe, say, "Chill, play defense, run the stuff, and we'll find a way to take these bastards down somehow."

These are the can do boys from as astra per aspera country.

These are the guys who eat bad breaks for breakfast and crap gold nuggets by lunch.

These are the guys who have had almost nothing beyond their control go right for them this season.

These are the Crimson and Blue Tails.

I can see Tyshawn right now looking at Thomas smiling that beautiful smile of his and saying, "Its the same old shizz, Superman. Everyone doubts us but us."

jaybate 7 years, 7 months ago

he Lawrence Airmen were destined to have this problem to overcome. Everyone and everything has stood in their way, or been put there, this season, so why not coaching instability, too? Last off season, it wasn't even sure which conference they would play in. Disingenous doubting national media heaped scorn on them, said they had no chance to win their conference. Players left early. Recruits didn't come. Some that came couldn't get eligible to play. They faced a incomparably tough pre conference schedule fit for a returning champion, not a rebuilding team. Hoiberg threw weird offenses from the 9th NBA Dimension at them. Scott Drew and his magical mystery recruits hogged the spotlight. Knee surgeries came and went. Hyper extended every things. Stress reactions. Boots. Tweaked knees. Thug ball. Bang ball. Head slapping. 4 guard offenses. Swallowed whistles. Biased whistles. Hair-brained, incompetent whistles. Sickness. Coaches that wondered out loud if they were good enough. Journalists that doubted. Board rats that doubted. The off season started with Fukushima ferchrisssake!!

The First American Revolutions was in peril from the moment it was declared. It was in peril till the moment the war was won with a brilliant, decisive and deceptive maneuver by Washington to move his army undercover of darkness by ship from outside New York City to join French forces and surround, siege and defeat the limey bastards at Yorktown, Virginia.

The Second American Revolution started in Lawrence, Kansas, on October 15, 2011.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident...."

The non Micky Ds, the men with everything against them, the men who slogged long and hard across The Canal of the regular season, and who turned the tide at the Battle of the Tenaru in that god forsaken hell hole of Columbia, and who then began island hopping to the Final Four, the men that then mythically transmogrified before our eyes into the Fighting 332rd, these guys who are fighting for us all now, these guys have now to deal with the obstacle of their own coaches letting their own agendas get in the way of the Fighting 332rd.

Its like water off a duck's back.

The Lawrence Airmen are flying to target.

Destination: Superdome.

Mission: Eighty Minutes over New Orleans.

First sortie: The Lo-hio State Suckeyes and their whining coach that complains about one player being out for one game, when the Lawrence Airmen have had to fly the entire campaign without 5star Ben Mac and Chicago Muscle Man Jamari Traylor.

The Lawrence Airmen.

They fight.

They fight.

They fight.

Fly the plane.

Bville Hawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Anyone care to venture why Roy has had pretty much the same staff since the day he left. I know Steve Robinson took a job and didn't have great success and came back to UNC after a couple years, and yes, J. Haase just got a head job. But until Haase that staff had been relatively stable. How long has Joe Holiday been with Roy anyway?

John Randall 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm afraid Larry Brown might be a disaster in any kind of administrative position and a source of friction in an assistant role. His itinerant history is largely because he doesn't play well with others, or I have misread the signs over the years. If he's serious about getting back into the game, he'd fit as a stop-gap head coach for a couple of years someplace who's waiting for a certain target to become available. He can probably still bring a floundering program farther, faster than about anyone you can name. Places like Illinois, Pittsburg, UMass, two thirds of the SEC, half the ACC, all of the Pac12, any number of places with ambitions of joining the Big Time in a hurry.

Steve Gantz 7 years, 7 months ago

I wish Illinois had enough sense to hire him.

Sam Constance 7 years, 7 months ago

Good riddance Shabazz.

I can understand Duke and Kentucky. But UCLA?

Aside from that program being terrible right now (even though they have plenty of "talent"), the entire West Coast is a college basketball wasteland these days.

Oh yeah, there's also that whole thing about Ben Howland being a coach who lets his "stars" get away with whatever they want...

DING

...oh, I see what he did there. If Shabazz wants to go to UCLA, where he can run the program more power to him. He's clearly not a hard enough worker to play for Kansas and it would likely end badly.

It's too bad there will be all sorts of speculation about us not getting him due to Danny's departure (rumored). Danny was here when we were missing out on the top-TOP recruits the last few years. He's certainly important, but I think his value was most seen in actual player development. 17-18-19 year old kids are too fickle and immediate-gratification oriented to really draw a meaningful connection between an assistant coach who was a great college big man 20+ years ago and getting to their ultimate goal: the NBA. Some, I'm sure, recognized it, but most probably not.