Thursday, March 29, 2012

Big Easy come …

Jayhawks jazzed to arrive in New Orleans

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor ducks down to receive a necklace of beads as the Jayhawks arrive at the JW Marriott in downtown New Orleans, Wednesday, March 28, 2012.

— Sirens filling the air, Kansas University’s basketball team bus received a police escort into downtown New Orleans at 8 p.m. Wednesday.

Jayhawk players and coaches exited in back of the JW Marriott hotel to much fanfare. Workers placed beads over their heads, while a six-piece band played tunes like “When The Saints Go Marching In.”

“I love jazz, and this week I’m going to love it more than I ever have, I hope,” KU coach Bill Self said.

The team was to practice today at an undisclosed location and hold media sessions at the New Orleans Superdome. On Friday, it’s more media and a shootaround open to the public from 3:10 to 4 p.m. at the Dome.

“We’re not going to turn them loose on Bourbon Street, although I totally trust my guys,” Self said with a smile. “But they can go out and eat, walk around (Wednesday night). We’ll have curfew relatively early because tomorrow is a busy day. Friday will be a busy day.. It’s free time tonight, and beginning tomorrow they’ll be tied up every minute of the day for the most part.”

KU will play Ohio State in a Final Four semifinal approximately 7:49 p.m. Saturday in the newly named Superdome.

“I think what was cool was driving in (from airport) and seeing what used to be the Superdome. I guess it’s now seeing the Mercedes-Benz Superdome,” Self said. “It’s a cool view. Then driving by and seeing all the (Final Four) banners hung ... our guys are excited. I told our guys they have it seated for 75,000 (fans), and there won’t be more than 45,000 at practice. No reason to be nervous. I think these type of things will get our guys fired up.”

Comments

Jeeveshawk 2 years ago

As much as I would love to kick the crap out of Calapari and UK, I will be pulling for Louisville in that game, because it would be an easier game for us if we beat OSU.

Of course you always have to take it a step at a time. OSU is a very good team and they have a good chance to take us down in the Big Easy.

But lets not let that happen. Go Jayhawks!

lee3022 2 years ago

Based on the above photograph and story I assume the NCAA will announce tomorrow that Tyshawn is ineligible for the games this weekend because the beads constitute impermissible benefits, :-)

JD Roth 2 years ago

Let's go Jayhawks!! Just heard Ryan Burr for the thousandth time say KU beat Ohio State WITHOUT SULLINGER, take care of business!!

jaybate 2 years ago

"Some Ways You Know the Final Four Is in New Orleans"

~"Bonapartists Love Basketball" stickers big in the French Quarter.

~Each team will get a crayfish broil at half time.

~Harry Conniff Jr. adapts legendary Satchmo lyrics to "What a Wonderful Dunk." For the perfect original by Satchmo listen to this link... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2VCwB...

~K-Paul's announces a new dish called a "Basketball Soufflé" made from grits, yams, and a pureed Wilson Jet.

~Shaquille shows up for old times sake and the Super Dome settles on the side he stands on.

~Old JFK movie posters picturing Guy Bannister with the quote "Camelot in Smithereens" being taken down for the week.

~No speculation allowed this week about who the private contractors were reputedly killing in the aftermath of Katrina.

~Rumors rampant that Forest Gump will play for one of the Final Four teams as a promotion for sagging sales of Forrest's Shrimp cocktail business.

~Ann Rice writing a book about a Final Four team coached by LeStat.

~A play opens this week called, "A Streetcar Named Defense" about a fictitious basketball coach named Will Me coaching a rebuilding team to a national championship.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

nighthawking 2 years ago

I so ready for this to start I could scream. I love that few sports writers are giving us a chance at all. If the scoreboard reads...KANSAS JAYHAWKS vs SULLINGER PREGAME, then I might worry. Actually it is laughable. Jayhawks 100 Ohio State 19. Of course I am kidding. They might score 20 if they get hot on the charity stripe.

ohmixmaster 2 years ago

RCJH!!! Has anybody heard, what time Meth Lab U plays on Saturday? Or are they busy hanging up their "participation banner" in Columbia? Perhaps they might be busy at the flea market (see: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/27/3518561/sec-commissioner-holds-court-at.html). Sorry for this, but bashing that Slave State to the East is just too much fun.

RJ King 2 years ago

Home grown Northern Californians are indifferent about college basketball. The transplants are loyal to their roots, if it is/was a strong program.

The problem with watching from a sports bar is that you'll find only a couple people rooting for the team from where they actually graduated. Most of the yelling and screaming is bet-related, so the cheering follows the money. I understand it. But I don't want to be there.

It's usually just me and my family. Or me and my Tivo.

Jason Keller 2 years ago

I'd like to make an observation about how far KU has come with this supposedly depleted talent.  Even ESPN is drooling over the job Bill has done with no Mcdonald's all-americans.  To be honest, I am too.  However, we may not have any MAs but sheeeesh, we don't even start a player who wasn't an ESPNU 100.  Elijah, Travis and Jeff were all Mcdonald's all-american type players, they just didn't quite make the cut for one reason or another but clearly at 95 or above, you are the elite of the elite.  My point is, this is beginning to sound like a built in excuse.  We don't have any talent but look how far we made it.
      To put some of this into perspective.  This year, we have two ESPNU 100 players committed and that has given us a top 10 recruiting class.  Back to the original point, all 5 of our starting players made this prestigous group coming out of high school.  Not only that, they are all juniors and above!  So, is it really that odd that we're in the final four?
      I don't think these kids are over achieving at all.  They are playing at a high level, just like they were projected to do coming out of high school.  That is something we're all happy to see.

Jeff Whithey ESPNU100 grade 96 Travis Releford ESPNU100 grade 95 Elijah Johnson ESPNU100 grade 95 Thomas Robinson ESPNU100 grade 93 Tyshawn Taylor ESPNU100 grade 92

Robert Lofthouse 2 years ago

~ stand in front of the TV and yell as if you're in the Dome! It doesn't help the team but it sure feels good.

bbeckum 2 years ago

If you have access to a couple of pugs, they can be a very calming influence.

oldalum 2 years ago

For me, it's easier to take when it gets really tight if I'm only listening and not looking.. Luckily I'm able to get Bob and Chris for a radio play-by-play, because the TV guys don't really tell you what's going on since they think you're seeing it for yourself. So I guess hiding your eyes is my only suggestion. Oh, I've been known to go outside and pace in the driveway when the blood gets to pounding in my ears too loud.

theend 2 years ago

I get so nervous for these games......especially at this stage. Anybody have any techniques or remedies they could recommend? My usual pattern is to lock myself in a room by myself away from anybody. My friends always want to get together......but I can't. I'm too uptight and need to vent & scream at the TV.

In 2008.......I started the game sitting calmly on my sofa.......but by overtime I was crouched behind it.....on my knees and cringing........hoping and praying!!.

Anybody have any thoughts? No alchohol until after the game.......I have to stay sharp and focused!

William Blake 2 years ago

Maybe the news of staff departures will help this team realize the moment to seize is now, not later!

Rock Chalk!

nuleafjhawk 2 years ago

I love that photo of Tyshawn -

" I have to do WHAT for these beads ??? "

dtdjayhawk 2 years ago

Let's send Danny Manning to Tulsa with another National Championship ring and then declare this team "Thomas and the Miracles" that would be the best tribute I could think of

Rock Chalk!

justinryman 2 years ago

I think it's a very cool move of Self to let the players go eat and that he trust them to be on their own. That says a lot about this team and of the individuals on it.

I have never heard him say anything like this before about having trust in a team. That is great coaching and great player leadership!

KansasComet 2 years ago

This team has played the perfect schedule to prepare for this moment. They have traveled and they have played tough road games in front of tough crowds and they have played neutral site games in front of large crowds. They have been down by double digits and come back. They have been outplayed and learned from it. They have been feeling too good about themselves and got knocked back to reality. They have had key players in foul trouble and kept believing. More than anything this team continues to survive and advance. I think they are ready!! Go Jayhawks.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years ago

Whatever you do, do not google this headline!

Martin Rosenblum 2 years ago

Tyshawn,

Please make sure to look for a line on the court that is curved and extends 20ft 9in. from the center of the goal. Step behind it and shoot the ball. It's exactly the same distance in the Superdome as at AFH. Keep shooting until coach tells you to move on to another drill. When you go to those NBA camps, the distance will be even farther and you'll need to dazzle with your ability to complete a fair %. Just trying to help!

Ferd Magellan 2 years ago

Please no wild dunks in warm-ups. I'm not trying to sound like an old fart, I just don't want a repeat of what happened to Rodrick Stewart in '08 (blew out his knee). We didn't need to play him, but I felt awfully bad he didn't get to see some court time against UNC or Memphis in his final run at KU.

Shawn Otrimble 2 years ago

Bill Self is at his best when he believes he is coaching an up hill battle. When all is said and done and he retires and comes back for his name to be hung in the rafters or on a building, In his "Mr. Holland's Opus" like moment. I believe he will reflect on this year as being his favorite year no matter what else happens. It has been a joy to watch this guy coach. I think he truly enjoys the close games and the great thing about Self is that he is humble enough and willing to learn and adapt. That is why I believe we are the most dangerous team left. On paper OSU and KY should beat us, but just ask Memphis how the on paper worked for them in 08. This has been the most amazing year I have witnessed since Danny and the miracles. There is something to be said about a 7 man rotation and surviving in this type of tournament compared to a regular season. Rock Chalk!!!!

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 2 years ago

Can't wait To pull into nawllins on Friday!

phogphan2000 2 years ago

Scariest thing about the OSU game is how well they rebounded against us last time without Sullinger. TRob guarding Thomas is alright except he can take him away from the basket leaving a need for other guys to step up on the defensive glass. I hope the guys get "fired up" to control the defensive glass.

SaltLakeHawk 2 years ago

Bill Self loves jazz? Funny, I've always pictured him rolling with an iPod full of hardcore gangster rap.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years ago

Used to date a girl named "big easy"