Thursday, March 29, 2012

Baker coach Brett Ballard will be assistant under Danny Manning at Tulsa

Baker University Head coach Brett Ballard Watches his team as it plays Evangel on Dec. 7 in Baldwin City. Ballard, a former Kansas University player and assistant for coach Bill Self, has coached Baker to a 9-3 start in his second year with the program.

Baker University men’s basketball coach and former Kansas player Brett Ballard has accepted an assistant coaching position at the University of Tulsa with new coach Danny Manning, the BU athletic department announced Thursday afternoon.

“I thoroughly enjoyed my time coaching the Baker University men’s basketball team,” Ballard said. “I was fortunate to work with a group of dedicated players, committed to the classroom and basketball court. .... Baker University is an amazing place and I am very humble to have been their head coach.”

Ballard spent two years as Baker's coach with a 33-30 overall record. This year, the Wildcats advanced to their first Heart of America Athletic Conference championship game in over 15 years and capped that with an NAIA national tournament berth — their first since 1996.

“Brett did exactly what we asked of him — to bring a new level of play and excitement to our basketball program,” Baker University president Pat Long said. “He did just that and more. He became a leader on campus and within the community. He was Baker through and through. I will miss him as a coach and as a person.”

Baker athletic director Theresa Yetmar said the athletic department was ready to begin its search for a new head coach immediately.

“Brett is a rising star in this profession and we wish Brett, Kelly, and their entire family the best of luck on this new adventure," Yetmar said. " ... I believe our program has a bright future ahead of it with our current team and recruits. We will carry the positive momentum from our recent success forward.”

Comments

claycountyjayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

I thought everything was on hold while the final 4 is going on. WHATS THE DEAL.

Steve Brown 6 years, 6 months ago

Clay thanks for putting my big toe on my right foot in your avatar.

justinryman 6 years, 6 months ago

NIcely done, building a coaching staff of KU guys.

That's awesome that this basketball family is so tight and is willing to work with each other and for each other.

Kyle Rohde 6 years, 6 months ago

Feel a little bad for Baker that they lose him so quick, but it sounds like they knew it was going to be like that.

kuis1 6 years, 6 months ago

As a Baker alum I hate to see Brett go, but in two years he took a team that finished at the bottom of the conference almost every year and took them to their first national tournament game since 1996. It is sad to see him go but he helped Baker a lot in just a short amount of time so I think the consensous is we are all thankful for his time and wish him the best.

JamesA 6 years, 6 months ago

Best of luck Brett. Keep expanding that KU influence!

jaybate 6 years, 6 months ago

Manning plus Ballard equal perfect fit.

Between Danny and Brett, the Tulsa Hurricane are going to be brimming with intensity and execution.

Brett gets his fast track break.

One year out of KU and he's an assistant on a rising Mid Major.

He could rise with Danny, or take his place when Danny moves to a major. Huge.

riverdrifter 6 years, 6 months ago

Rats! Memo to Bill Self: send us another one.

JD Roth 6 years, 6 months ago

Looks like Larry Brown will once again be on the KU Staff!!

master16 6 years, 6 months ago

as what though? can't see him as either Dir of Operations or raking in only $250,000 per year as an assistant. if he decides to stick with KU i think it's an unofficial thing, more like a mentor or something to HCBS.

otherwise, if he's serious about coaching i'm sure he will eventually find a head coaching job.

jaybate 6 years, 6 months ago

"Who Will Bill Add?"

Bill has a few young coaches from his tree, or from Roy's years, to consider.

Mike Lee at USF--I like Lee and I have always thought that Self had a special fondness for him, too. Lee's problem is that he is barely started, he's not a big man coach and his recruiting base is out west now, where Self already has Kurtis Townsend with long experience there.

Jeremy Case S.E. Missouri State--like Lee, Jeremy is really too young and has recruited too little to be of much use to Self, but Self always appeared to think very highly of Jeremy.

Steve Woodberry at Missouri State--he's a great KU guy, but a Roy guy, and he hasn't been recruiting D1 major material at Missouri State.

Scott Pollard in Outer Space--A Roy man, who has remained true to his school. Scott doesn't give much indication that he wants to coach, but he knows way more than enough about the post to coach it. He's got the big man mentality. He's an intriguing way to go, just as Danny was 9 years ago. Self likes swagger. Scott's got ionized swagger. Does Scott want to shave to do it?

Wayne Simien--Wayne's not a coach either, and he's a minister man, you say. But Wayne has great presence. He was a great player and a student of the game. Self has great fondness for him. And having preached for awhile now, and seen the challenges of a totally independent ministry, Wayne might be ready to adopt a coaching life style. But Wayne has never given an indication of any interest in coaching and he's never recruited a lick.

Self's more interesting opportunities are mature coaches that have been on the recruiting trail for years and so have already been writing and emailing and calling D1 Major prospects in the pipeline as low as junior high and know the coaches and AAU coaches, and which AAU coaches are shizz heels and which are not.

Kyle Keller may not want to move back already, but Self needs recruiters familiar with Texas, Kyle knows Texas, and Kyle would have a vastly better shot at spring boarding into a mid major head job from KU than from Texas A&M.

Matt Dougherty--another Roy guy. Matt's formerly of SMU, formerly of UNC formerly of Notre Dame, and formerly an assistant at KU. A solid big man coach. Dougherty suffers low esteem now and is exactly the kind of guy Self sometimes picks up when no one else wants him. Dougherty would work his tail off for Self to try to salvage his career. Doughtery might be especially driven to steal recruits from Roy Williams, as pay back, and Self has to recruit against Roy constantly, so that could be a plus. Dougherty was popular at KU, and Notre Dame, but he's had troubles politically elsewhere. Still, he has done a ton of recruiting, recently in Texas, and all over. With KU on his calling card, he might well be able to get his act back together.

JD Roth 6 years, 6 months ago

You mean Matt Doherty I believe. He was a good assistant but my sources tell me Larry Brown is in the mix.

jaybate 6 years, 6 months ago

Doc Sadler formerly of Nebraska--Sadler might be a good guy to replace Hinson, if Sadler wanted to chill for a few years and recover from having the life sucked out of him by Tom Osborne, or he might be a good coach. Self and Sadler seemed to have a lot respect for each other. Sadler's been out on the recruiting trail for a long time, and though he has not been able to land good ones at Nebraska, he might with KU on his calling card. Sadler is also ferociously competitive. Finally, Sadler is a Don Haskins disciple. This may not mean much to persons under 50, but Don Haskins was the oldest of Iba's big three disciples--Haskins, Eddie Sutton, and Jack Hartman. Haskins was the only one that won a ring. Self has never had a Haskins disciple. Doc ain't much to look at, but he's a ferocious competitor and intensely knowledgeable about Okie Ball. Hiring Sadler would allow Self to complete the weaving together of the three strands of Iba ball in the modern era. Janks was a Hartman man. Self is an Eddie Baller himself. Sadler would be his Haskins man. Haskins basketball knowledge was venerated by many, but especially by Bob Knight. Sadler and Nolan Richardson and Tim Floyd appear to be the major remaining figures in the Haskins lineage. Floyd does not seem Self's style and he's busy at UTEP. Nolan is too crusty for anyone to handle. Doc Sadler seems to be the option, if you want to learn what Haskins really knew.

Corey Williams, Florida State--would give Self a much needed presence in Florida and southeast. Williams is a former Okie State player, who played with Jordan on the Bulls and has been a very successful recruiter for Leonard Hamilton. He's stuck behind Stan Jones, Leonard' associate head coach. He has to go some where to get a break. KU's high profile might be a better spring board to a good mid major job, than FSU, and Self could probably pay him more. Coaching at KU might also make him attractive to T.Boone.

Dennis Gates, Florida State, same situation as Williams, but no Okie STate connection.

Rob Judson, Illinois State--on Janks staff, he's an Illinois recruiting specialist that recruited Frank Williams and Brian Cook to the Illini. He could juice up KU's presence in Chicago and Illinois

The trouble with Williams, Gates and Judson is that they would not be particularly strong big man coaches, but man do they bring connections in key recruiting regions.

Speculating about who Bill will add is probably not very likely to reveal who Bill will add. But it brings into focus what he will be looking for, and what kinds of assistants and former head coaches might have what he will be looking for.

jaybate 6 years, 6 months ago

In all of the above I forgot to mention LB. I mentioned him yesterday. LB would be an interesting add for a lot of reasons. My favorite role for Larry would be Assistant Coach in Charge of Drawing Up Plays in the Huddle. :-)

Frankly, he would probably be good for at least 4 wins a season just by the crazy improvised plays he would draw up.

But a word of warning to all. No one has ever been more withering in their criticism than LB. He has worn out players almost every where he has gone.

But, dang, it would be good to have Moses come home at last.

FLJHK 6 years, 6 months ago

On the other hand, if Self wanted to exploit the artistic and poetic elements of the game, promote its history, and advocate for its recognition as the greatest of all sports, he could hire: Jaybate.

esque 6 years, 6 months ago

Jaybate-

Excellent observation about LB wearing out players at every stop. I thought I'd read somewhere at the time when Manning was heading for the Clippers in the draft, there was speculation about LB moving on to coach there and there being grumblings or rumors that Manning was looking forward to a much needed break from LB's style.

Do you recall hearing the same or am I imagining things?

jaybate 6 years, 6 months ago

If you are, we both are. I remember rumors that Danny and LB had had enough of each other once. And you don't see a lot of pictures of them together still.

Vernon Riggs 6 years, 6 months ago

I like the thought of Doc Sadler for Dir of BB Ops. This is a non hands-on coaching role. No practicing with the players. Lot's of scouting and watching film. Behind the scenes type of job. Doc is great X's and O's guy.

Dougherty would be a great 'bigs' coach. He is a great coach. He proved that at Notre Dame and as an Asst Coach at KU. Knows Texas and Texas High School coaches. Could be an asset.

Here is a name that I heard too. LJ Goolsby from KC' s Pump N Run AAU team. Not a 'bigs' coach but is well-connected in AAU and KC.

Larry can the title of Special Asst Coach. He needs to be at practice and work one-on-one with the players.

Eric Williams 6 years, 6 months ago

Hypothetical here, but what if Gooden hangs up the shoes after this year. I'd take him in a heartbeat if he wanted to stay involved with basketball.

Freedman Moor 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm afraid of what "Hurricane" Drew would teach young bigs. LOL Plus, he's too busy being overpaid right now.

JayHawkFanToo 6 years, 6 months ago

Here is one prospect from left field. How about the Big Fella...Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

He has been wanting to coach steadily for a long time but after he retired from the NBA he had the reputation of being introverted and aloof.

I understand that he a has mellowed quite a bit and has coached bigs for a few NBA teams and was also a head coach in the US Basketball League where his team won the Title.

More recently, he has worked as a special assistant with the Lakers and he is credited with developing the very raw Andrew Bynum into the player he is now. He has also done scouting for a couple of NBA teams, so he is somewhat familiar with recruiting.

If you want a big coach fro the bigs, they don't come any bigger than Kareem.

johnnyphoton 6 years, 6 months ago

I thought Jabbar was always in a "mellow" mood.

Freedman Moor 6 years, 6 months ago

I think Kareem is a little preoccupied with that whole cancer thing. I honestly think basketball is the least of his concerns.

hawk82 6 years, 6 months ago

Big Man coach is crucial. I would rank them as follows...

• Wayne S.

• Scott P.

• Kareem A.

• Matt D.

All of that said, Jacque is available and he is probably the best overall choice. IMO.

Freedman Moor 6 years, 6 months ago

I've been looking a Jacque Vaughn facebook or fan page distribute to the KU masses. I think with two spots open, Jacque and Doherty would be perfect. Or Jacque and Norm Roberts.

Vernon Riggs 6 years, 6 months ago

What are the rules for the number of Asst Coaches a Div 1 school can have? How many can recruit? Are their Part-Time AC? Can they interact with the players? Is the Dir of Ops still a a restricted earnings position like it was? I live in Waco, Baylor seems to have an a gaggle of Asst Coaches.

Vernon Riggs 6 years, 6 months ago

Are THERE Part-Time Asst Coach positions. Sorry for the misspelling.

jgkojak 6 years, 6 months ago

It'll be Norm Roberts.

His son is playing on this team, 'nuff said.

Only reason he's at FL is there was no room at the Inn. He would be a perfect hire.

Scott Oswalt 6 years, 6 months ago

What if Niko transfers? He will never get PT @ KU.

esque 6 years, 6 months ago

Drew Gooden is regularly giving his opponents double doubles in the NBA, how is he busy being overpaid?

bradh 6 years, 6 months ago

Congrats Danny on picking up an excellent assistant. Not sure why Brett would give up a HC position for an assistant, either he really likes Danny, or he wants more exposure.

Marshall Ballard 6 years, 6 months ago

Div. I Assistant > NAIA HC...its called moving up in the profession! IMHO, excellent move, Coach Ballard!

Nikki May 6 years, 6 months ago

I like some of the names being kicked around. Not a Larry Brown fan, but that's me. Anyway, I know the Scot Pollard thing was half joking, but I don't know if he'd want to give up his stay at home dad gig. He might, but who knows. I don't see Wayne doing it either, but he might.

Someone threw out Raef. I would love to see him here. AND he has the NBA experience that I am sure the bigs will respect. He's my pick. I don't know that he has the recruiting power though. But, these recruiters started somewhere.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 6 months ago

Wayne Simeon - Assistant Coach of Divine Intervention Scott Pollard - Assistant Coach of Divne Comedy Larry Brown - The Wise Old Man On The Mountain Assistant Coach Raef LaFrenz - Assistant Coach of of Southpaw Domination Norm Roberts - Assistant Father and Son Reunion Coach Doc Sadler - Assistant Coach of Funny Faces Mike Lee - Assistant Coach of Three Pointers Matt Doherty - Assistant Coach of the Revenge on Roy Kareem - Copilot Roger/Skyhook Assistant Coach

Freedman Moor 6 years, 6 months ago

"My guess....Bill will pick someone we would never had thought of...and be right!!!!"

Dude, you're absolutely right. But while I'm having fun being an arm chair head coach, I'd love to see Raef and Jacque back in Lawrence. KU has become "Big Man U" recently. With Self's high-low system, Raef would be a perfect fit. And who better to show a young point how to run an offense than Jacque Vaughn?

truman 6 years, 6 months ago

I am hoping most of these "choices" are in jest or just dreams because many of them are not even close to being qualified. Just because you played BB doesn't mean you can coach BB. As for Larry Brown, he is in his 70's. I know he says he wants to coach again but if he did , it would be for a short time only. Hate to say this- but Jaybate has done his/her research. Everyone else..not so much. And btw, Scott P. loves KU but he is hard to take seriously. I almost vote for Doc.

Marshall Ballard 6 years, 6 months ago

and what will manhattan be like if they go with Boyle or Jankovich? we might have to come up with a number system as opposed to directions due to us "owning" so many venues!!

Martin Shupert 6 years, 6 months ago

I have heard WAY too many negative stories about Dougherty. I would be shocked if KU brought him here. The way he recruited ruffled feathers all over the country, and it wasn't about being aggressive. It was about being a jerk and disregarding the spirit of the rules. Besides, he doesn't bleed Jayhawk blue anymore if he ever did. We can do much better within Coach Self's contacts, thank you very much.

I am so excited for Tulsa. They seem to be making great decisions. They actually had a chance to get Toby Smith to come back for his last gig. Now I'm wondering if Danny wants to schedule Tulsa to play KU, Texas Tech, and Minnesota in the next few years.