Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Self: Team thrives on unity

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self, who has coached two teams to Final Four berths, was willing to tackle a tough, hypothetical question on Tuesday:

Which squad — 2008 or 2012 — would win a head-to-head match-up?

“The ‘08 team would be favored, but I’m not sure the ‘12 team would buy into that at all,” Self said of his No. 2-seeded Jayhawks, who take a 31-6 record into Saturday’s Final Four semifinal against Ohio State. The top-seeded ‘08 team, which has been called the best in school history, went 37-3 en route to winning the NCAA title.

“It’s unbelievable to me how much these guys enjoy competing,” Self added of this year’s squad, which like the ‘08 team won the Big 12 title. “The longer they compete with each other, the more they like each other. We’ve had some close teams in the past, but I don’t think we’ve had a team this close. That ‘08 team was so unselfish to have so many good players and still sacrificed and guarded.

“But there is something about this team and how they get on each other and hold each other accountable. Only teams that really care about each other do those things. It sounds easy in theory, but unless you really love your brother next to you, you’re not going to jump his butt when he does wrong. These guys hold each other pretty accountable.”

Team chemistry has helped the team survive its last three games — over Purdue (63-60), North Carolina State (60-57) and North Carolina (80-67), Self indicated.

“These guys, I don’t know if ‘cocky’ is the right word, but they’ve got something about them right now that they just think they can rely on someone to make a play,” Self said, providing an example.

“A huge play ... at the end of the first half when Carolina is playing for one (shot) and Elijah (Johnson) rips (Harrison) Barnes and gets a layup. Little things like that, that give you momentum going into half because we had totally screwed up the first half being up seven.

“Guys just have a timing to make plays like that. Jeff’s (Withey) block and tap (late vs. UNC leading to a pair of run-outs), I mean I don’t know if that’s because of competitive juice or liking the moment, but timing has just been right for these guys to have an opportunity to make those type of plays in the most opportune times.”

Hinson headed to SIU: KU director of basketball operations Barry Hinson has agreed to become head coach at Southern Illinois University and is working on a contract with the university, the Southern newspaper of Carbondale, Ill., (thesouthern.com) reports.

Hinson, 50, could be announced as the Salukis’ coach as early as 3:30 p.m., today if contract terms are finalized, the paper reports. A source said a players’ meeting has been scheduled and, if Hinson is at that meeting, he would likely meet with the media afterward. The paper earlier said Hinson’s hire could be announced after the Final Four.

Hinson went 169-117 at Missouri State and 36-23 at Oral Roberts as a head coach, reaching the NIT three times with the Bears. Hinson’s hiring was also reported by CBSsports.com, ESPN.com and Carbondale’s KFVS-TV.

Meanwhile, KU assistant Danny Manning is a serious candidate at Tulsa and has talked to Hurricane officials about the position, the Tulsa World reports. The paper said Tulsa was impressed with Manning’s recruiting ability and name recognition. Several KU big men, including Cole Aldrich, Jeff Withey and the Morris twins, have credited Manning for their development. Tulsa TV station 2 (KJRH) says Manning could be named coach next week.

Sullinger v. Robinson: Self on whether Thomas Robinson would guard fellow All-American Jared Sullinger Saturday: “If we did that, that would put Withey on Thomas (Deshaun, 6-foot-7 to Withey’s 7-foot), so that’s probably not going to happen. We will wait and see how things play out, but they’re going to be matched up against each other some. Deshaun is more inside-outside-slash-post. He can stretch it.”

Senior guard Conner Teahan on the drive back from St. Louis late Sunday night: “It was kind of long. We were waiting to get back, and then we got in some standstill traffic. Some car pulling a truck caught on fire. We were just sitting there. The bus was completely stopped for about 45 minutes. Everybody was extremely happy. It was cool to be with everybody, and we just couldn’t wait to get back to the fieldhouse (to meet fans).”

Self on Frank Martin leaving Kansas State for South Carolina: “I’m really happy for him. I spoke to him last week after the tournament (loss to Syracuse) telling him congratulations on another great year. He told me this could be a possibility. I don’t know what the situation is down there, but I think he left a good situation so he must feel this is a really good situation for him personally. We played down there (at SC) and it was a great facility and a great location. There are a lot of positives there, but our league will miss him.”

Last time: Junior forward Kevin Young spoke about his memories from KU’s first game against Ohio State. KU won, 78-67, on Dec. 10 in Allen.

“That was the last time I hit a three. I haven’t taken too many since then,” said Young, who had 14 points off 6-of-8 shooting, including 2-3 threes. “They’re good memories. The fans were amazing that game, and it was just a fun game to play in.”

This, that: KU’s game against Ohio State will be shown on the videoboard on Saturday night in Allen Fieldhouse. Doors to the fieldhouse will open at 6 p.m. Admission is free. “It’s just like in ‘08,” said KU associate AD Jim Marchiony. “We had such a great reaction then.” ... KU’s bus is slated to leave Allen for Forbes Field in Topeka about 3:30 p.m., today, KU officials said.

Tyshawn Taylor was asked if this was a rebuilding year at KU: “Maybe in some people’s eyes. The guys that have been a big part of the team are the guys we had to rebuild with, been part of the program two, three, four years, in Teahan’s case five years. We’ve been around coach, the program, each other. We like each other. We never looked at it as a rebuilding year. We looked it as regrouping maybe. We had the same guys who were competing against the guys that left. We kept that attitude all year. If this is a rebuilding year, I hate to see what the next few years is going to be,” he added, laughing

Comments

Dirk Medema 2 years, 8 months ago

Ty seems to be having so much fun teasing the media lately.

FSUJHAWK 2 years, 7 months ago

You're right. HCBS wants these guys to have fun because ultimately that will lead to them being loose/relaxed and we all know what that means in the tourney. From what i've seen of TT, this is one of his favorite ways to have fun.

RCJHGKU!!!

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

is, with Hinson heading there. Should be a good fit. I'll bet Hinson absorbed a lot while working with Coach Self. >And congratulations to Danny, if the position does work out for him. Very deserving, and I'm sure the Jayhawk Nation will all wish him well. >If so, KU will really miss Danny coaching the bigs. Have to wonder how that might effect future recruiting, especially Tony Parker. Just have to promote Jeff to student coach for next year's bigs.

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Somehow, the first of that post got left off. (?) Should read: Watch out for Southern Illinois, with Hinson heading there.....

jayhawker_97 2 years, 8 months ago

losing interests by potential bigs is what i'm worried about. will we see decommits from those youngsters after knowing DM leaves?

ParisHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Someone else posted a link to a good article about Tony Parker: the reporter got to sit in when he discussed his choices with his family.

I was surprised that Parker raved about Hudy and didn't mention Manning. Maybe he was clued in that Manning might not be around?

Oklahoma_Hawk 2 years, 7 months ago

If that works out for him, I will be going to as many TU games as I can to cheer for him and his team!

Chad Dexter 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm pretty sure their numbers are not accurate.

Self makes 3.5 million base, if I recall correctly.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 7 months ago

The writer did not include a yearly $500K payment that HC Self gets. Interesting that as much as the "squid" gets in bonuses tied to performance, the one tied to APR is only $50K.

finestack 2 years, 7 months ago

Best wishes to Hinson and Danny, too, if he gets the opportunity at Tulsa. My prediction is Wayne steps in to a similar player development role as soon as Danny departs. He's been a constant spiritual presence and behind the bench supporter anyway. All American for All American!

Alohahawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Had not thought about that, finestack. That's a great idea, and I hope something can be worked out. Wayne could/would be a great solution. All-American post man replacing another All-American post/forward.

HAWKTOPIA 2 years, 7 months ago

KEEP MANNING HERE! Doesn't Danny still have kids in Larryville schools?

Ben Kane 2 years, 7 months ago

nooooooooo danny boy!

seriously, hate to lose the DMan

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 7 months ago

Hopefully losing Danny wouldn't affect our recruitment of big guys...

Andy Rieger 2 years, 7 months ago

Any thoughts on Self making Larry Brown an assistant? You can't believe he isn't contemplating it....

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

Posted this on the Hinson article, but I don't think he'd be up for the grind of recruiting. However, if he steps into Hinson's position - director of basketball operations - he wouldn't have to. That might be a good fit for him. And then at that point you have him working as a coach in practice.

oldalum 2 years, 7 months ago

I understood that only assistant coaches could actually coach the players, not the guy who arranages the team's trips, etc. which was what Hinson did. Danny couldn't coach or recruit until he was made an assistant. Can you see Larry Brown being a gofer? And in any other paid position I think two strong personalities like he and Bill would clash. Just can't ever see it happening unless they work out some kind of consultant deal. A guy like Brown doesn't go from being King to being second banana.

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

If you're right then I agree. My understanding was that it was only assistants that could recruit, but there wasn't any restrictions on the coaching side of things.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 7 months ago

oldalum, I was thinking the exact same thing. He is definitely qualified to be Director of Basketball operations, but I keep thinking that he is more of a coach than an administrator and it would be hard for him not to get involved in the coaching side, and that would likely lead to conflict. I can see him more in a scout consulting position where he evaluates potential recruits as well as opposing teams.

Alohahawk 2 years, 7 months ago

There is an article on ESPN.com NCAA BB page that Brown is still interested in coaching. SMU was mentioned in the article.

justinryman 2 years, 7 months ago

If the '08 team played the '12 team do you think that Connor would taunt himself as he sat at the end of the '08 bench after he drains a three from the corner?

Matchup of the game, Darnell Jackson v Thomas Robinson

Matchup of the game part 2, Brandon Rush v Travis Releford

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 7 months ago

I posted my thoughts about he Hinson and Manning developments under the report on Hinson's big announcement.

Hinson should be a Head Coach. He should be DBO because he's so much more than an administrator. MSU did him wrong because the NCAA selection committee did him wrong. If not he's probably be a candidate for the KSU job more so than the SIU job. He will be a great coach there.

I hope they win the MVC next year and that he has tons of options in the future! Good luck Coach Hinson!

If Danny leaves for Tulsa you know that it must be a move that was semi-orchestrated by Self, or at least has been encouraged and blessed by Self. Which hopefully means that Self is staying at KU for a very long time, or that Manning will get battle tested as a Head coach to prepare him for a possible return to KU! It will hurt to lose Danny from this staff, but KU will be OK. Self will hire a very capable assistant to do the job, no doubt!

And if Self invites Simien onto the staff I wouldn't expect it to be as an assistant coach, but maybe as a position that could lead to an assistant coaching position in the near future. He would be a great coach! He'd be a tireless hard worker and people love him. I would love to see Wayne as an official member of the coaching staff!

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 7 months ago

As I posted before, unless HC Self retires early or moves to another school, the chances of Danny becoming KU coach are very slim, since he is only 3-1/2 years younger that HC Self.

Cameron Cederlind 2 years, 7 months ago

I wish Collison was close to retirement, which he could be, but I think he would be a great assistant coach for the big men. His rebounding and shot blocking skills would translate really well.

moehobart 2 years, 7 months ago

I read on espn.com that jerod haase got the UAB job c'mon kusports give him some love

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

It was mentioned in another article. Not a whole article dedicated solely to his hiring, but as a blurb at the end of one of Bedore's articles I believe.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

1] Larry Brown, if offered, would accept Barry Hinson's position in a heartbeat. He's been to more cities and seen more Kansas games than Chenowerth did Dave Matthews concerts.

2] No coincidence that Danny is being courted by one of Bill's previous schools. Perfect training ground for Danny to return to Kansas as the next KU head coach.

3] Despite his record of big man success, look at all the big men that passed on Kansas with Danny. We are certainly better with him but we'll be OK until he returns.

4] Only the very best of luck to Barry...he kind of got screwed at Missouri State. [Of course, it is another Misery school!!]

5] The guy I worry about losing is Mr. Sunshine, Joe Dooley. His value to Bill Self flies way, way under the radar.

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

1] I hope you're right. That would be amazing to have him back with the program in an official capacity.

2] Assuming Self retires before old age sets in/leaves to pursue other opportunities (i.e. the NBA), then yes, having Danny cutting his teeth as a head coach is the best thing in the long run. As others have mentioned, Danny & Self are close in age, so if Self decides to keep the job until he is retirement age, then Danny will most likely be too old himself to accept the job at that point.

3] I've thought about all the big men that passed on KU too, but regardless where Danny will truly be missed is in the development of the ones we do get. It isn't so much that his presence was luring top 10 caliber big men here, but that they (the ones we landed) were leaving as top 10 caliber big men.

4] Both of the MVC Illinois jobs now belong to former members of Self's staff. Wishing both success in that conference.

5] Agreed, although it is unfathomable to me how someone hasn't already snatched him up. I remember last year he interviewed for some position, but it wasn't all that great of a job. Eventually he'll move on, maybe after this year.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

2008 vs 2012

1] Darnell vs TRob-------------------------TRob 2] Rush vs Travis---------------------------Rush 3] Kaun vs Withey-------------------------Withey 4] Robinson vs Tyshawn----------------Tyshawn 5] Chalmers vs Elijah---------------------Chalmers 6] Arthur vs Conner------------------------Arthur 7] Collins vs Naadir------------------------Collins 8] Aldrich vs Kevin-------------------------Kevin [surprisingly] 9] Reed/Morningstar vs Wesley----- R/M 10] Self '08 vs Self '12--------------------Self '12

Just my take...you all may think differently, however, I think the 2008 squad is more talented and could be just as motivated, but it sure would be fun!!

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

I think if we're matching this up as starting line-up vs. starting line-up that it's Withey vs. Arthur, and then it's Kaun vs. KY as first big off the bench, then Wesley vs. Cole. Hard to do a straight apples to apples comparison there, with this team having such a thin bench.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

Thanks, icthawkfan316, that was my problem..it was apples to oranges. If BenMac and Jamari had played, it would have been more logical. Teahan and Teahan..I forgot about that LOL!!

NebraskanJayhawk152 2 years, 7 months ago

We need to give Danny a HUGE raise... If we did I think he would stay. We all know he loves coaching at KU. Zenger needs to get on that and bump up his pay.

oldalum 2 years, 7 months ago

I wish I could agree with that, but I'm afraid Danny will leave because he wants to be a head coach and not that he needs more money. My guess is he could get by without working at all, being an NBA player who didn't fritter away evearything he earned when the money was big.

jgkojak 2 years, 7 months ago

Larry Brown on staff: Dir. of Basketball Ops is a REAL job, overseeing all the little details, from hotel bookings to team meals to managers and their roles. In other words, its HARD WORK, and I don't see LB wanting to do something like that.

Asst. Coaches have to recruit. They don't have a spot for someone on the staff that doesn't travel. Again, while having LB in your living room would be pretty powerful (at least as powerful as Danny), not sure LB wants to do the grueling work recruiting entails.

As far as Danny: He has given KS everything he has, and we should be happy for him and wish him the best success. I absolutely could see him being the easy choice to follow Self as coach, even if its 10-15 years from now. No one would argue w/that. He's bound to be successful, because he'll bring in big guys right away to a conference/team w/out bigs, and they'll win.

And it likely is blessed by Self. Self as a lot of Tulsa contact, and I'd bet Self set this up.

A question: Is this some Dean Smith style planning. Does HCBS have a plan for his Kansas exit (say after year 15, to at least match Roy), and does giving Danny 5-7 years to be successful at Tulsa perfectly prep him to be the easy choice?

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

It is a real job, but Mario's dad held that job for a few years. Not to knock him, but it can't be too hard, at least not something that you couldn't hire Larry as the director and then give him an assistant to do all the grunt work. There's a way to get him on the staff and let him coach without tying up an assistant coaching position.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 7 months ago

Ict, As I understand, the Director of Basketball Operations is not allowed to coach or recruit. The job basically is a logistics administrative position. Many coaches start at that position to learn the administrative/business side of college basketball.

Mario's father had held similar positions with the Air Force before becoming a high school coach. He also has a graduate degree in human resource management and development. Ronnie Chalmers was definitely qualified for the position based on his own merits.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm feeling too lazy to do the research... but whats the age difference between Self and Manning? Any chance we could see Danny as head coach someday? Obviously we want to see Self in the position for as long as possible. Self is still pretty young for an elite coach though...

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

It's been posted that it's a 4 year difference.

Redlandsjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Here is what I know for sure;

1. I finally found out what logistics really means, namely throwing a basketball the length of the court.

2. It's fun to sit around the house with your friends and family and take turns shouting out "The Hopper!!"

3. Anything anyone else says to me is "so 29 seconds ago."

4. Everything else will work out. We Are Kansas!!!

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

Also, that if we ever start a band, we don't need to worry about a guitar player because Peter Frampton will surely be available to fill-in.

justinryman 2 years, 7 months ago

And just in case you thought it might be called March monotony.

No it's March madness!

ajhk 2 years, 7 months ago

Practice your flop Withey. Sully is no doubt gonna be bang'n that big butt of his into you.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 7 months ago

A couple of personal opinions based on posts above.

1. Will Larry Brown be the next Director of Basketball Operation at KU? No. LB is 72 years old with a replaced hip. He is just not up to the daily grind and minutia required by the job. Also, LB is not and administrator, he is a coach and as such, he would have a rough time not being involved in the coaching side; something he would not be allowed to do. I see a potential position as a scout/consultant.

2. Will Danny Manning eventually be HC at KU? Likely no. DM is only 3-1/2 years younger than HC Self, and unless he retires early or moves to another school, DM would have 3-5 years left after HC Self leaves. This is highly unlikely as KU is known for coaches with long tenures (except for Larry Brown). HC Self is only the 8th coach in over 110 years of BBall history. Also, we do not know how DM would do as a Head Coach. There have been countless, very successful Assistant Coached, that could not make the jump to the Head Coach position. By all account, DM is a great position coach, but his performance as Head Coach is yet to be determined. Maybe Tulsa should be the first step. I love Coach Manning and have followed his career since he transferred to Lawrence High School, and would love to see him become a successful Head Coach; unfortunately, the stars -at this time- do not seem to be aligned for that to happen at KU.

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

To a few that have corrected me before, you are indeed correct that the director of basketball operations is not allowed to coach (looked it up myself on the NCAA website). Kind of odd, considering that they are on the bench during games, and that Hinson was in that position after having been a head coach before. Those two things led me to believe they were allowed to coach, that they just couldn't recruit. Knowing this, I concede that Brown is not a good fit for the position, imho.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

I guarantee you that Barry did plenty of talking to Bill on the bench during the games over the season and I am pretty sure it wasn't about what was on the menu for the trip back to Lawrence!!

justinryman 2 years, 7 months ago

Maybe it was about movie selections?

Anything inside of is supposed to be sarcasm font

Hank Cross 2 years, 7 months ago

Besides not being able to coach, I doubt that either Brown or Self would be comfortable with LB in an official role. This is Self's era and he doesn't need to create even the appearance of being in the position to be second-guessed by a HOF coach. I want LB to continue to give advice behind closed doors, in unofficial capacity.

Philip Atkinson 2 years, 7 months ago

I would be happy for Danny if he lands a head coaching job. It would be very hard to replace him but I think Wayne Simien would do nicely!

NebraskanJayhawk152 2 years, 7 months ago

justinryman 2 years, 7 months ago

I guess they didn't watch the UNC game then.

Hey wait wan't that game on CBS?

Apparently Harrison Barnes is really slow then.

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

ESPN is reporting Danny is taking the Tulsa job. Bittersweet. Wish him all the success and happiness, but man is he gonna be tough to replace.

Priest Fontaine 2 years, 7 months ago

Like I was asking on another thread - why couldn't he/Tulsa have waited a few more days to announce this? This seems very distracting to announce right before the games this weekend.

Would love to see Coach Brown out recruiting. I'd be happy with Simien as well. Pollard could probably do a good job of attracting some top recruits as well.