Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Danny Manning appears Tulsa bound

Kansas assistant coach Danny Manning directs traffic during warmups prior to tipoff against Texas Tech on Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

— Kansas University assistant basketball coach Danny Manning is expected to be named Tulsa University head coach in the near future as he works on contract details with the Conference USA school.

But, both Tulsa officials and KU coach Bill Self have cautioned that as of 8:15 p.m., nothing’s finalized yet.

“I’ll comment: ‘not done deal,’’’ Self said Wednesday night from New Orleans. “He’s had talks with them and interviewed. I know that he was very encouraged and excited about the prospect of it. It’s not done. It’s not done, but there are talks going on. Who knows what will happen next?”

Tulsa issued a statement to the Tulsa World shortly after ESPN cited sources indicating Manning had agreed to terms to become Tulsa coach. CBSsports.com also believes the hiring is imminent. Sources told the Journal-World the two sides had yet to reach an agreement on the length of the contract. It is believed Manning wants a five-year deal. Sources said he had reached out to one or more individuals about possibly working for him on his staff at Tulsa.

“The University of Tulsa has not reached an agreement with any candidate for the head basketball coaching position at the school,” read the statement issued by TU’s sports information office. “As stated when the coaching search began on March 11, TU officials will not discuss any candidates until an official announcement is made by the University.”

Self is a former head coach at Tulsa with connections there.

“The faces have all changed. The people that back the program are still pretty consistent,” Self said. “I have ties to that situation. If Danny is the guy there, and I’m not saying he is, but he’ll get it on his own merits, no question about that.”

Comments

Chad Smith 2 years ago

We all should be Happy for Manning if he takes the job. He deserves it and he will be a great head coach. He's one of KU's brightest stars and forever will be loved by KU Nation. If he takes the job there or somewhere else, I wish him nothing but the best, except for when Tulsa inevitably gets a 2nd or 3rd round matchup with KU in the next couple years in the tourney, then we'll have to take him to the cleaners...hahahaha. Seriously tho, he's too good to be an assistant forever and he will be a great coach wherever he ends up. Thank you Danny for all you have given to the KU program!

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years ago

Conrratulations to Danny and Barry. Can't blame the mids for attaching to our coattails. Great timing to make their hires during college basketball's biggest week with two assistants from a contender.

Jesse Johnson 2 years ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew this day would come but I still never wanted it to happen! I love D Man! He is so important to developing our bigs! Think about how important he has been to our recent teams that centered around T-Rob, the Morri, Cole and so on. I really hope Self can manage to develop players like that without Danny or we could be in big trouble!

Sorry, I'm in official panic mode now. Hopefully everything will turn out to be ok, and that it turns out Self is an amazing big-man developer in his own right. I just don't know how you replace a guy like Danny the Manning!

Ron Franklin 2 years ago

I'm only two hours north of Tulsa, I'll be going to some of their games now for sure.

danno1313 2 years ago

Congrats Danny. Tulsa seems to be quite a DROP OFF from KU however.

William Blake 2 years ago

Congrats to DM!

We need to stay positive... good news is coming our way!

jhawkrulz 2 years ago

I'm happy for Danny and he should do well at Tulsa. I hope that he makes the transition well, I think it is a tough transition.

I am somewhat amazed that people think this will set our program back. If I'm not mistaken we have struggled to actually get big men to come to KU (for some reason) recently. I think however, Coach Self knows what he is doing and if this year doesn't tell us one thing it is that Coach Self can coach. He knows how to bring out the best in his players. Whether he is thin at the post or thin at the guard postions he is able to adjust. This year we have arguably been thin in both of these and have had great success.

I really hope Danny does well in Tulsa. I think a lot of us will tune into Tulsa games just to see how the coaching goes. Congrats to the Golden Hurricanes, they have introduced one of the beloved players in KU history to their family.

justinryman 2 years ago

The Kansas bench might be just like the team.

You don't rebuild at KU, you reload.

I am sure coach Self has a few guys in mind right away to fill the empty seats next to him on the bench. I am sure this isn't the first time that a coach or two have been tempted to leave for another job. It's a great sign when a coach can be taken off the bench and be the head of another bench.

What this will do, after the Final Four is to keep KU in the headlines, with coaches leaving and with coaches joining the staff. That's not bad press either, thats a positive to be seen and heard of after the Final Four.

Jim Pendleton 2 years ago

Yes, I hate to lose Danny too. He has done great work with all the big guys. However, assistants all want to be head coaches some day. Unless you're willing to throw mega-asst dollars at him, and the fact he is the third ranking asst on the totem pole, that just isn't likely right now. For those that think this is the same as Roy leaving in '03, it's not even close, so don't even compare Danny that way.

People can't be mad about the timing of assts taking new jobs. First, there are only four schools still playing, just happens we are one of them. Second, if an asst wants to take a head coach position, it will go without saying that they can't do anything for the new school until we are done (Self said so for the record). Third and perhaps most important, spring signing period starts on April 11th, so a new guy is already going to be behind the eight ball on that as it is. If waiting this long to hire a new coach was an issue for the new school, they obviously have someone targeted (Danny in this case). Otherwise they would have hired someone else by now.

While I wouldn't rule out Danny could be KU head coach some day, I don't think it will ever be for waiting on Coach Self to retire. Biggest reason is they are only a few years apart in age. So if Self coaches 10-15 more years, Danny wouldn't realistically have a lot of years to be head coach here himself. Now if Self walks away earlier, then maybe. Another factor is Self was 40 when he came, so the administration may again want someone younger when Self retires or walks away.

It's been a great year, let's make this weekend special and come away with a couple more wins. Rock Chalk!!

Phoghorn 2 years ago

You know what would be cool? If Coach Manning and the KU Jayhawks won a National Championship when nobody thought we would be in the Final Four. It would be just like deja-vu all over again! (Apologies to Yogi Berra).

KUlolly 2 years ago

This just makes me sad :(

justinryman 2 years ago

What about bringing in Kevin Pritchard to replace Stinson?

As for Danny's replacement as a big guy coach, not sure that there is anyone on the same level, but I think there is someone out there that can be a part of this coaching staff and have a positive affect on the team.

First thought is Wayne Simien.

As for Shabazz talking us off his list, I am OK with it. Look at the team we have this year, look at the teams we have had when there was a one and done on it. Which team would you rather have?

midwest_muser 2 years ago

Is Wayne Simien the man to replace Manning?

OonlyBonly 2 years ago

We will survive. But, if Danny takes the Tulsa job maybe the Big 12 should look at bringing Tulsa in..........

08Jayhawk 2 years ago

Like everyone else, great for Danny Manning. He isn't getting any younger and he's earned the right to be a head coach. He will be back at KU at some point, we all know this. I hope every school that goes after Danny knows this too. However, have to agree that the timing is awful. Really Tulsa? Right before Final Four, can't wait 4 days? Give me a break. I don't think it will be much of a distraction because it's not like we're losing Self. But still, the timing of this is disrespectful to the team trying to get ready for the Final 4. The spotlight should be on them. The team and Self should not have to answer questions on this during their run to a NC.

Ron Franklin 2 years ago

We knew this day was coming. Weeks like this remind me my heart strings have always been tied to Kansas, and never were to Kansas State. I didn't give a crap about Frank Martin leaving KSU--nothing from KSU ever hurts. Losing Roy hurt. Losing Danny hurts.

All I can really (unselfishly) say, is congrats to Danny. He's earned it.

I find it very disrespectful the schools come calling for our assistants right before the final four. I understand that's the nature of the business though.

KUbsee69 2 years ago

I, like most others had hoped Danny would stay in his "home town" forever. But, whatever his choice is, I wish him only the best.

Now, the question is ... who would / could buy Danny's Larryville estate ... indoor basketball arena, eight-foot doorways and all?

jayhawkinATL 2 years ago

Time to put up some Dalonte Hill money!!!!!

jhawkinsf 2 years ago

Good for him. I wish him the best and hope someday his path leads back to Lawrence. Tulsa just became my second favorite team. The only problem is that the NCAA has a habit of setting up interesting match-ups in the tournament. Don't be surprised if K.U. winds up playing Tulsa in the tournament in a year or two.

matlockhawk 2 years ago

I am sad. Happy for Danny, if that is what he wants to do. But still, I am very sad.

jayhawkinmullen 2 years ago

I do not believe that this is going to happen just food for thought. What if Bill is telling everyone to find a good Head Coaching job now because I am taking my next step to the NBA? Not likely just a thought.

Jeeveshawk 2 years ago

Noooooooo! This is the worst thing that has ever happened to KU bball (ik im exaggerating but i need to be melodramatic to make a point)! What will become of our big men now?! They will all have to be overrated stiffs like John Henson from now on without Danny to train them. I'll miss you Danny.

Jeeveshawk 2 years ago

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years ago

Dag-gum! There goes our secret weapon...

Stephan123 2 years ago

Nice to be able to consider getting Norm Roberts back.

okiedave 2 years ago

Tulsa University is not a career job. It is a stepping stone to bigger programs -- just as Self left TU to go to Illinois. It is not easy to be successful at TU as they have problems recruiting top tear athletes, however, if Danny can be successful (just as Self was successful at TU) other job offers from name schools will come his way. If he does not turn the TU program around, I'm hoping Self has an open door policy toward Danny.

jgkojak 2 years ago

I bet money that Larry Brown goes w/Manning to be an asst to him at Tulsa.

Kevin Studer 2 years ago

Too bad this wasn't a few years from now when Nick Collison retires. He would be the perfect coach to slide into that role. Fundamentally flawless, gets the team concept.

Richard Payton 2 years ago

Nebraska fired Doc so he would be a possibility for KU or K-State.

hawksfan08 2 years ago

Everyone knew D Manning was going to be a head coach somewhere someday. If his kids weren't in school in Lawrence, it probably would've been sooner. Be happy the guy got his shot and is taking it as you would do the same. I wouldn't be surprised if his path led him back to KU as a head coach someday.

KUsmoothies 2 years ago

Will this have any effect on Perry Ellis commitment?

sabd 2 years ago

Matt Dougherty seemed like he was really sucking up to ku on espn. He was even doin the rock chalk chant. Could he be a possibility?

JayHawkFanToo 2 years ago

Interesting. A lot of news outlets are reporting the hiring of Danny as a done deal while at the same time indicating that the University is saying it has not hired anyone. On arrival to New Orleans HC Self indicated that is is not a done deal. Also, Tulsa University in it latest release indicated that they had not reached an agreement with anyone.

easyfive 2 years ago

Kansas better give him a blank check and tell him to fill in the zeros!!!!! at lest match Bill's $'s. Maybe it's not money? See if Bill could get Micheal Lee back!

Hank Cross 2 years ago

Congrats to Danny! I wish him a long and successful career. I honestly do no think that this will hurt recruiting one bit. I can't think of one example where a player said he specifically chose a school because of an asst. coach. TV is probably the number one drawing card and that is not going to change b/s Manning is not there. Go get Pollard, he'll keep'em loose.

1stnamemistermiddlenameperiod 2 years ago

This is the bad side of winning. I'm not referring to the battle of attrition. I'm talking about the spoiled, self-righteous jerks that crawl out of their holes and make real fans look bad. I challenge anyone insulting Danny to offer their contributions to KU for comparison. Danny Manning is a grown eff-uckin' man handling his business. Neither I nor anyone else has the right to tell him how to conduct it.

BPSkelly 2 years ago

For those who are complaining about "wait until we're finished playing"... those teams ARE finished playing. KU could tell other schools to wait until they are done, but they dont want to be seen as inhibiting its coaches from pursuing head coaching jobs. It's hard to argue that point.

Besides, once its done its done. Congrats to both Barry and Danny. They'll both do we'll in their new gigs.

And we'll miss them both -- and replace them with someone from a group of probably dozens who would want to work at KU.

Mark Kelly 2 years ago

Congrats to Coach Manning (and Dir. Hinson).... How about Norm Roberts come back in the assistant spot and Wayne Simien for Director of Basketball Operations (where Manning started)... then, next time Dooley, Townshend, or Roberts take a job, Simien take an assistant spot. Yet another successful big man to draw recruits.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years ago

Repost. I believe that Nick Collison would make a great "bigs" assistant coach when he retires. He understands the game and position better than most NBA players, his father is/was coach so he has the genes, successful NBA player, well spoken and personable and he is one the more beloved KU players of all time. He is only 31, so I imagine he has at least 5+ years left in the NBA. Kirk Hinrich, another coach's son is considered to be one of the smarter guards in the league. He has had some injuries which might cut his career short; so he might be out of the league sooner than Collison. wouldn't you love to see Hinrich coaching the guards at KU? I have no clue if either is interested in coaching, but having coaches as fathers makes me think that it is possible.

Brendan Connolly 2 years ago

Larry Brown to head of basketball operations and get Jacque Vaughn here as assistant. Pollard and SiMien would also step in and help. To me Vaughn would be HUGE get. I can't think of another player that represented everything we want better.

okiedave 2 years ago

Tulsa news says it is official that Danny Manning will be the new TU coach and made official at a news conference next Tuesday. I wish Danny all the best.

Kevin Crook 2 years ago

Danny is my all time favorite athlete at any sport. I hate to see him go. But I will be a Tulsa fan too now!

floridajayhawks 2 years ago

Good Luck Coach Manning you deserve it, on a positive note Ron Burgundy sequel.

mae 2 years ago

A 5 year deal isn't bad. If he proves to bring Tulsa to the tourney a few years, we could be then scouting him as a realistic replacement when Bill decides to retire.

I say best of luck and thanks for your time Danny. I hope you are a part of the Kansas coaching tree that returns to become legendary.

rob4lb 2 years ago

This is a lot different than 2003 when rumors of Roy leaving were surfacing during the Final Four. Most importantly, the head coach is not leaving and the head coach provides the continuity.

I am confident that Coach Self will find great replacements. The replacements do NOT have to have KU ties.

Bruce Rist 2 years ago

Danny has given so much to KU BB, he can interview, negotiate contracts, accept the offer, any time during the season he wants. He has earned that right.

Brianna Zaleski 2 years ago

I'm so bummed about this. I truly think DMan is our secret weapon and a unique advantage that we have over most other teams. What I mean is, how many other teams can say that they have a former college AA, NPOY, NCAA champion and NBA all-star imparting his wisdom on the players? Thing about Manning also is, he's accomplished those things from, basically, both sides of the spectrum. Before the NBA, he dominated with his talent and skill. Then his knees failed him. Both of them. Multiple times. But he was still able to achieve all-star status be relying on his smarts and wit. This experience is invaluable, in my opinion, and gives us a decided advantage over other coaching staffs.... But oh well, life goes on. He definitely deserves the opportunity of he wants it. I'm thankful for everything he's done for our university and basketball team.

Any thoughts on a replacement? Would WAYNE Simien step seamlessly into that role? I know I wouldn't mind that experiment.

James Naismith 2 years ago

Could be just additional motivation for the team to send Danny and Barry packing with a lovely parting gift - the NC.

ferdthemooncat 2 years ago

I predict that if Danny goes to Tulsa, he'll return to Kansas eventually. With honor, of course.

Patrick Leiker 2 years ago

Congrats to Danny Manning. He is a class act. All you guys saying it should wait until after the tournament are off base, you don't always get to choose the time when opportunity calls. Tulsa may not want to wait and he obviously has coach Self's blessing. It's not like he is our head coach.

chaggs 2 years ago

Reminiscent of 2008 when HCBS was rumored to leaving for Oklahoma State? Hope the results are the same!!!

greyfeld 2 years ago

Here's a thought. Since Bill appears set to have two coaching vacancies on his hands, how about we get Larry Brown to be an assistant. ESPN says he is looking for work.

beakem_hawks 2 years ago

I wonder if Self will hire Norm Roberts back off the Florida Gators.

HAWKTOPIA 2 years ago

There is a path for Coach Manning to take a leading role at KU. I hope that he and Coach Self have discussed this timing, and this represents the proper course for that to happen.

Most Basketball history runs through the University of Kansas Jayhawks, and this is just another successful road that will run back through Bill Self and KU.

There's no place like home. and He'll be back.

LittleRockJayhawker 2 years ago

I kinda saw this coming when Jordan Juenemann during his senior speech mentioned that Manning will make a great head coach.

beakem_hawks 2 years ago

Shabazz took KU off his list at the Mcdonalds game. Not cool

kupark 2 years ago

Bill Self has struggled lately with recruiting guards and now post players have one less reason to come to KU.

I hope Danny first took a crack at Illinois' head coaching position. Tulsa seems a step down from being a KU assistant.

Matthew Herbert 2 years ago

Poor timing Danny and Barry. Wait a week, then interview. Very Roy Williams of both of you

UNIKU 2 years ago

Gaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

Max Walker 2 years ago

Damn.... Although I'm happy for Dan the Man and wish him the best of luck, it definitely hurts to see such a beloved face leave the program. Our coaching staff is one of the greatest and all this interest really shows it. If this comes to fruition, I wish you the best of luck Danny. Rock Chalk!

Thomas Michaud 2 years ago

Please ... AFTER the games this weekend ... I hate distractions. All I can hope is that the players want to put all their effort into winning one for Barry and Danny and help them go out on a winning note.

Krohnutz 2 years ago

Man, I want to say congratulations, and it is very deserving, but the other part of me just hates to see Danny anywhere else.

claycountyjayhawk 2 years ago

Couldn't this wait until after the season was over??????????.We should have other things on our minds like the final 4