Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Danny Manning appears Tulsa bound

Kansas assistant coach Danny Manning directs traffic during warmups prior to tipoff against Texas Tech on Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

— Kansas University assistant basketball coach Danny Manning is expected to be named Tulsa University head coach in the near future as he works on contract details with the Conference USA school.

But, both Tulsa officials and KU coach Bill Self have cautioned that as of 8:15 p.m., nothing’s finalized yet.

“I’ll comment: ‘not done deal,’’’ Self said Wednesday night from New Orleans. “He’s had talks with them and interviewed. I know that he was very encouraged and excited about the prospect of it. It’s not done. It’s not done, but there are talks going on. Who knows what will happen next?”

Tulsa issued a statement to the Tulsa World shortly after ESPN cited sources indicating Manning had agreed to terms to become Tulsa coach. CBSsports.com also believes the hiring is imminent. Sources told the Journal-World the two sides had yet to reach an agreement on the length of the contract. It is believed Manning wants a five-year deal. Sources said he had reached out to one or more individuals about possibly working for him on his staff at Tulsa.

“The University of Tulsa has not reached an agreement with any candidate for the head basketball coaching position at the school,” read the statement issued by TU’s sports information office. “As stated when the coaching search began on March 11, TU officials will not discuss any candidates until an official announcement is made by the University.”

Self is a former head coach at Tulsa with connections there.

“The faces have all changed. The people that back the program are still pretty consistent,” Self said. “I have ties to that situation. If Danny is the guy there, and I’m not saying he is, but he’ll get it on his own merits, no question about that.”

Comments

claycountyjayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Couldn't this wait until after the season was over??????????.We should have other things on our minds like the final 4

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree... A coach should not even be allowed to discuss open positions until the season is over. Especially in college football where you have coordinators ;leaving before bowl games. I HATE this policy.

On a better note: Danny should be a hit with recruits.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 5 months ago

No worries, I just saw DM interviewed on tv and he said "I could give a $#!+ about Tulsa right now"

ssteve1 2 years, 5 months ago

That settles it. He's gone.

Rolland Remmert 2 years, 5 months ago

Interchange the words North Carolina and Tulsa and you have the fsamous Roy Williams quote repeated, Never the less, I don't blame the guy if coaching is his selected career, He and self are only 4-5 years apart in age and if Bill decides KU is his final stop, Danny wouldn't have a chance for the HC job @ KU til he is in his '60's. We can all remember the North Carolina sequence with Gutheridge getting the HC position @ that age,,,,,,a couple of years and he threw in the towel. Paying homage to great former players is fine if it dosen't weaken the program down line.

Cameron Cederlind 2 years, 5 months ago

. . . that's the joke . . . on another note, I love Danny and what he's done for the program but I would never hire an unproven head coach.

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

These two schools (Tulsa and SIU) have been without coaches for a while. They are in danger of losing the recruits that they have and the window is closing for late signings. I don't blame them. Hinson isn't even a coach for us and DManning is actually third in line in our assistant hierarchy...Dooley, Townsend then Danny. This is a tremendous opportunity for his first gig. Congrats Danny and May the odds be Ever in your Favor! RCJH

zsn 2 years, 5 months ago

This is NOT the same situation as Roy's. That Danny and Hinson are going to have new gigs next year will not detract from them doing their jobs for the next one or two games - for lack of a better phrase, they are leaving under "happy circumstances" unlike Roy. Other than a few malcontents, invariably everyone wishes both these men nothing but the best for the future. There is absolutely no bitterness (again, save the few malcontents)

Krohnutz 2 years, 5 months ago

Man, I want to say congratulations, and it is very deserving, but the other part of me just hates to see Danny anywhere else.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

This is a great first attempt at authenticity. Keep it up. :-)

Thomas Michaud 2 years, 5 months ago

Please ... AFTER the games this weekend ... I hate distractions. All I can hope is that the players want to put all their effort into winning one for Barry and Danny and help them go out on a winning note.

AaronHawk19 2 years, 5 months ago

This isn't a distraction to the players. T Rob and Tyshawn are leaving too. Withey has had 3 1/2 years with Danny, and EJ, Releford, and Connor are guards.

Pitthawk34 2 years, 5 months ago

There is no effin reason thses distractions could not wait 5 more days.

Matt Kenton 2 years, 5 months ago

Everyone has known all season that T-Rob and Tyshawn are leaving. This is breaking news and definitely a distraction to the players. Barry Hinson and Danny Manning are very much a part of game preparation, which is happening right now.

Alex Berger 2 years, 5 months ago

How in the world is this a distraction? I find it hard to believe that as collegiate players, who know how great these assistants coaches are and were going to get HC jobs sooner or later, they are losing focus on the Final Four because they are going to miss Manning and Hinson. Its the Final Four. What these guys come to college to accomplish. I trust in these guys professionalism. Congrats to Hinson and Manning.

Max Walker 2 years, 5 months ago

Damn.... Although I'm happy for Dan the Man and wish him the best of luck, it definitely hurts to see such a beloved face leave the program. Our coaching staff is one of the greatest and all this interest really shows it. If this comes to fruition, I wish you the best of luck Danny. Rock Chalk!

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 5 months ago

Poor timing Danny and Barry. Wait a week, then interview. Very Roy Williams of both of you

Chris Shaw 2 years, 5 months ago

Actually, very Dean Smith of them, technically! I'm happy for both of these guys, but I hate this crap! Wait till the season is over and then do your personal crap!

kupark 2 years, 5 months ago

Bill Self has struggled lately with recruiting guards and now post players have one less reason to come to KU.

I hope Danny first took a crack at Illinois' head coaching position. Tulsa seems a step down from being a KU assistant.

AaronHawk19 2 years, 5 months ago

1) Didn't we sign 4 top 50 players at the guards that will be freshman over the next two seasons in McClemore, White, Greene, and Frankamp.

2) I think we have actually lost a few guards b/c we have the rep as a big man factory.

3) A head job at Tulsa is a great start and at Danny's age he can't just wait forever.

KJD 2 years, 5 months ago

Point 1) is well taken. If you look at Rivals rankings we have 5 guards in the top 100 that will be Sophmores, Freshman or playing their Senior year in high school: McLemore (34), Tharpe (92), White (56), Frankamp (51) and Greene is (35). Include Adams who has been referred to as a diamond in the rough and was offered by several BCS schools. That is plenty of guard talent recently recruited to Kansas. Self and the crew are a Center short of being fully loaded for the next couple of years.

It's all about fit and not the ranking numbers. The numbers do reflect talent yet it is not all about getting top 10 guys each time out, especially if you are trying to develop system guys who have a chance to work with Hurdy for several years while learning Kansas Basketball.

Self and the coaches are doing quite well in recruiting

rob4lb 2 years, 5 months ago

Look at all of the great coaches who came through Tulsa- Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith, Bill Self, Buzz Peterson. This is not a step down from being an assistant for KU. It is a great opportunity.

beakem_hawks 2 years, 5 months ago

Shabazz took KU off his list at the Mcdonalds game. Not cool

AaronHawk19 2 years, 5 months ago

Its ok. Releford, McClemore, and White are a solid group of 2/3s and we have Greene coming in for 2013 to replace Releford.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 5 months ago

Also, they could be around for more than one year.

LittleRockJayhawker 2 years, 5 months ago

I kinda saw this coming when Jordan Juenemann during his senior speech mentioned that Manning will make a great head coach.

AaronHawk19 2 years, 5 months ago

and Danny had an interview a few weeks back saying he wanted a head coaching job and liked recruiting.

HAWKTOPIA 2 years, 5 months ago

There is a path for Coach Manning to take a leading role at KU. I hope that he and Coach Self have discussed this timing, and this represents the proper course for that to happen.

Most Basketball history runs through the University of Kansas Jayhawks, and this is just another successful road that will run back through Bill Self and KU.

There's no place like home. and He'll be back.

NH_JHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree with you. Danny Manning will be back at KU someday as a head coach.

beakem_hawks 2 years, 5 months ago

I wonder if Self will hire Norm Roberts back off the Florida Gators.

Jim Jackson 2 years, 5 months ago

I hope that's his first phone call

Alex Berger 2 years, 5 months ago

I like it! I hope we can continue to attract these big men though. Losing Danny is gonna hurt but I'm glad he gets the opportunity to be a HC.

greyfeld 2 years, 5 months ago

Here's a thought. Since Bill appears set to have two coaching vacancies on his hands, how about we get Larry Brown to be an assistant. ESPN says he is looking for work.

doolindalton 2 years, 5 months ago

It's a fun thought, but Larry didn't like recruiting very much as a head coach. I doubt whether he will want to beat the bushes for players as an assistant. The former KU player who might want to come back as an assistant is Rex Walters who is the head coach at San Francisco. He is 42, led the Jayhawks to the final four in 1993, and spent 8 years in the NBA. He should be a great recruiter. A few years sitting next to HCBS might be his ticket to moving up in the coaching world.

RJ King 2 years, 5 months ago

Rex is moving USF along incrementally. He's got BYU, Gonzaga, and Saint Mary's ahead of him, but is making visible progress. Definitely a player's coach, and fun to watch at games. KU players/managers Michael Lee and Justin Bauman are also on his staff.

As far as Rex coming back to Lawrence . . . he is from San Jose, and now has four kids from toddler to upper grade school. I can't see him giving up his own program for an assistant position. He is a leader out there - and good with media, etc.

Sam Brockert 2 years, 5 months ago

Go away, you should be happy he is getting his chance.

Kye Clark 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for cementing your status as the worst poster here

Kye Clark 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for cementing your status as the worst poster here

chaggs 2 years, 5 months ago

Reminiscent of 2008 when HCBS was rumored to leaving for Oklahoma State? Hope the results are the same!!!

Jace FitzGibbon 2 years, 5 months ago

i dont think it was rumored that he was actually going to leave. just that they were going to offer him a lot of money to take the job

Patrick Leiker 2 years, 5 months ago

Congrats to Danny Manning. He is a class act. All you guys saying it should wait until after the tournament are off base, you don't always get to choose the time when opportunity calls. Tulsa may not want to wait and he obviously has coach Self's blessing. It's not like he is our head coach.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree. If Danny Manning wants to be Head Coach, now is the time. His stock is as high as it will ever be and he is not getting any younger. If he takes the position, I am sure if will wait until after Monday night

Best of luck Coach Manning; once Jayhawk always a Jayhawk.

P.S. According to an interview on TV news a few minutes ago, HC Self indicated that it is not a done deal.

ferdthemooncat 2 years, 5 months ago

I predict that if Danny goes to Tulsa, he'll return to Kansas eventually. With honor, of course.

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm so bummed about this. I truly think DMan is our secret weapon and a unique advantage that we have over most other teams. What I mean is, how many other teams can say that they have a former college AA, NPOY, NCAA champion and NBA all-star imparting his wisdom on the players? Thing about Manning also is, he's accomplished those things from, basically, both sides of the spectrum. Before the NBA, he dominated with his talent and skill. Then his knees failed him. Both of them. Multiple times. But he was still able to achieve all-star status be relying on his smarts and wit. This experience is invaluable, in my opinion, and gives us a decided advantage over other coaching staffs.... But oh well, life goes on. He definitely deserves the opportunity of he wants it. I'm thankful for everything he's done for our university and basketball team.

Any thoughts on a replacement? Would WAYNE Simien step seamlessly into that role? I know I wouldn't mind that experiment.

wyansas 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm bummed too. Manning is the best big man coach in the country, without a doubt. Hope Self and Co. learned everything they could from him before he leaves.

SteelHorseRider 2 years, 5 months ago

Totally agree with your assessment of Danny as a secret weapon but totally disagree with Simien as a viable replacement. Bottom line is I hope they replace Danny with someone with the same type background.

Thinking of big men isn't Scott Pollard still hanging around? He had a nice, long NBA career and always seemed to make the most of what he had.

The other guy I would LOVE to see is Nick Collison. He has been in the NBA for something like 8 seasons now. Midwest guy. All kinds of collegiate, NBA and international experience.

Stephen Johnson 2 years, 5 months ago

I was thinking the same thing. I think Simien would be a great assistant.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm with you-- I have always thought he was a secret weapon. But now that I need to rationalize this move in my mind, I'm going to say--Coach Self dominated at ORU, Tulsa, & Illinois before he had Danny Manning. He'll find a great replacement. I just hope it does not cost us any recruits.

Bruce Rist 2 years, 5 months ago

Danny has given so much to KU BB, he can interview, negotiate contracts, accept the offer, any time during the season he wants. He has earned that right.

rob4lb 2 years, 5 months ago

This is a lot different than 2003 when rumors of Roy leaving were surfacing during the Final Four. Most importantly, the head coach is not leaving and the head coach provides the continuity.

I am confident that Coach Self will find great replacements. The replacements do NOT have to have KU ties.

mae 2 years, 5 months ago

A 5 year deal isn't bad. If he proves to bring Tulsa to the tourney a few years, we could be then scouting him as a realistic replacement when Bill decides to retire.

I say best of luck and thanks for your time Danny. I hope you are a part of the Kansas coaching tree that returns to become legendary.

floridajayhawks 2 years, 5 months ago

Good Luck Coach Manning you deserve it, on a positive note Ron Burgundy sequel.

Kevin Crook 2 years, 5 months ago

Danny is my all time favorite athlete at any sport. I hate to see him go. But I will be a Tulsa fan too now!

okiedave 2 years, 5 months ago

Tulsa news says it is official that Danny Manning will be the new TU coach and made official at a news conference next Tuesday. I wish Danny all the best.

Brendan Connolly 2 years, 5 months ago

Larry Brown to head of basketball operations and get Jacque Vaughn here as assistant. Pollard and SiMien would also step in and help. To me Vaughn would be HUGE get. I can't think of another player that represented everything we want better.

mae 2 years, 5 months ago

Completely agreed on Pollard if he would. He's a beast. And Jacque for guards would make a new standard for front/back court.

No way Dub as a coach. Camps, sure, but we all know where religion leads in athletic recruiting. It's good for religion based schools, but chases away kids that just want to play and not hear about what grandma says everyday at home.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 5 months ago

Repost. I believe that Nick Collison would make a great "bigs" assistant coach when he retires. He understands the game and position better than most NBA players, his father is/was coach so he has the genes, successful NBA player, well spoken and personable and he is one the more beloved KU players of all time. He is only 31, so I imagine he has at least 5+ years left in the NBA. Kirk Hinrich, another coach's son is considered to be one of the smarter guards in the league. He has had some injuries which might cut his career short; so he might be out of the league sooner than Collison. wouldn't you love to see Hinrich coaching the guards at KU? I have no clue if either is interested in coaching, but having coaches as fathers makes me think that it is possible.

Brendan Connolly 2 years, 5 months ago

Love Hinrich, but Vaughn is probably smartest guard we ever had and is available now.....sort of. He is assistant in NBA, so might be difficult get.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 5 months ago

I was talking more about basketball on court smarts; however, I agree that Jacque Vaughn would be home run hire. Smart classy individual. Having said that KU will be looking for a "bigs" coach and I am not sure how Vaughn fits into that.

Matt Kenton 2 years, 5 months ago

Loved Collison as a player, but he is a prick. Not coach material.

Mark Kelly 2 years, 5 months ago

Congrats to Coach Manning (and Dir. Hinson).... How about Norm Roberts come back in the assistant spot and Wayne Simien for Director of Basketball Operations (where Manning started)... then, next time Dooley, Townshend, or Roberts take a job, Simien take an assistant spot. Yet another successful big man to draw recruits.

BPSkelly 2 years, 5 months ago

For those who are complaining about "wait until we're finished playing"... those teams ARE finished playing. KU could tell other schools to wait until they are done, but they dont want to be seen as inhibiting its coaches from pursuing head coaching jobs. It's hard to argue that point.

Besides, once its done its done. Congrats to both Barry and Danny. They'll both do we'll in their new gigs.

And we'll miss them both -- and replace them with someone from a group of probably dozens who would want to work at KU.

Freedman Moor 2 years, 5 months ago

This is the bad side of winning. I'm not referring to the battle of attrition. I'm talking about the spoiled, self-righteous jerks that crawl out of their holes and make real fans look bad. I challenge anyone insulting Danny to offer their contributions to KU for comparison. Danny Manning is a grown eff-uckin' man handling his business. Neither I nor anyone else has the right to tell him how to conduct it.

Hank Cross 2 years, 5 months ago

Congrats to Danny! I wish him a long and successful career. I honestly do no think that this will hurt recruiting one bit. I can't think of one example where a player said he specifically chose a school because of an asst. coach. TV is probably the number one drawing card and that is not going to change b/s Manning is not there. Go get Pollard, he'll keep'em loose.

easyfive 2 years, 5 months ago

Kansas better give him a blank check and tell him to fill in the zeros!!!!! at lest match Bill's $'s. Maybe it's not money? See if Bill could get Micheal Lee back!

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 5 months ago

Interesting. A lot of news outlets are reporting the hiring of Danny as a done deal while at the same time indicating that the University is saying it has not hired anyone. On arrival to New Orleans HC Self indicated that is is not a done deal. Also, Tulsa University in it latest release indicated that they had not reached an agreement with anyone.

sabd 2 years, 5 months ago

Evan manning tweeted how proud he was of his dad. Pretty sure its a done deal.

sabd 2 years, 5 months ago

Matt Dougherty seemed like he was really sucking up to ku on espn. He was even doin the rock chalk chant. Could he be a possibility?

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 5 months ago

Matt Doherty is a good example of the Peter Principle. He was a very good assistant coach but did not have the success that was anticipated for him as head coach. He did relatively well at Notre Dame but his tenure at UNC was a disaster, in great part because he was heavily undermined by the administration wanting Roy Williams. It is possible that this experience undermined his confidence and has not done that well since.

KUsmoothies 2 years, 5 months ago

Will this have any effect on Perry Ellis commitment?

Kye Clark 2 years, 5 months ago

I doubt it. Not like Manning went to any of the other schools he had on his list.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 5 months ago

He would have to be released from hi LOI. Ellis is coming to KU because he is always been a Jayhawk fan and Manning leaving will have no effect.

klineisanazi 2 years, 5 months ago

You have to be kidding. The campaign to promote Manning's career has now convinced KU fans that he is the reason an in-state player that has loved KU his entire life is coming to KU? Get a grip. Good luck to Danny Manning. If he wants to coach, he has earned the opportunity. But Bill Self is the indispensable man on this staff. You would think KU never developed any good players before Manning was on the staff. Self will find the right people . He is The man.

KUsmoothies 2 years, 5 months ago

I think you need to simmer down dude, just a question out of curiosity. It's been stated several times that Ellis adores manning and was a large reason for choosing ku.

hawksfan08 2 years, 5 months ago

Everyone knew D Manning was going to be a head coach somewhere someday. If his kids weren't in school in Lawrence, it probably would've been sooner. Be happy the guy got his shot and is taking it as you would do the same. I wouldn't be surprised if his path led him back to KU as a head coach someday.

Richard Payton 2 years, 5 months ago

Nebraska fired Doc so he would be a possibility for KU or K-State.

Kevin Studer 2 years, 5 months ago

Too bad this wasn't a few years from now when Nick Collison retires. He would be the perfect coach to slide into that role. Fundamentally flawless, gets the team concept.

jgkojak 2 years, 5 months ago

I bet money that Larry Brown goes w/Manning to be an asst to him at Tulsa.

okiedave 2 years, 5 months ago

Think you would lose your cash. Brown has too much pride to take an assistants job at a tier 2 Division I school. Much more likely he will take a head coaching job at K-State or come in and assist Bill Self.

okiedave 2 years, 5 months ago

Tulsa University is not a career job. It is a stepping stone to bigger programs -- just as Self left TU to go to Illinois. It is not easy to be successful at TU as they have problems recruiting top tear athletes, however, if Danny can be successful (just as Self was successful at TU) other job offers from name schools will come his way. If he does not turn the TU program around, I'm hoping Self has an open door policy toward Danny.

Stephan123 2 years, 5 months ago

Nice to be able to consider getting Norm Roberts back.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Noooooooo! This is the worst thing that has ever happened to KU bball (ik im exaggerating but i need to be melodramatic to make a point)! What will become of our big men now?! They will all have to be overrated stiffs like John Henson from now on without Danny to train them. I'll miss you Danny.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 5 months ago

jayhawkinmullen 2 years, 5 months ago

I do not believe that this is going to happen just food for thought. What if Bill is telling everyone to find a good Head Coaching job now because I am taking my next step to the NBA? Not likely just a thought.

Phoghorn 2 years, 5 months ago

Not trying to troll, but could both of you please post a link to a source? If Coach Self does want out of the Big 12, (or into the NBA) I would love to read all about it.

I have seen plenty of internet rumors that Coach Self wants to lead the SA Spurs, but I have not found any definitive sources.

klineisanazi 2 years, 5 months ago

Do you just sit around and make this crap up? You don't need conspiracy theories to explain why these events have occurred. Perfectly logical for both to want their own heading coaching positions. The Manning thing has been talked about all season, with Self and KU very obviously talking him up.

jayhawkinmullen 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes I do sit around and make this crap up. Thank you for asking.

Stephen Johnson 2 years, 5 months ago

i don't know what you're smoking in the picture, but put it out. Seriously.

justinryman 2 years, 5 months ago

Then wouldn't he tell Danny to stay around and be the next head coach?

Logical I know.

jayhawkinmullen 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes because Danny has so much experiance as a head coach. Get your head out of your ass man!!

Phoghorn 2 years, 5 months ago

How do you know he is not a legs man...oh wait, now I see what you are saying...

matlockhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I am sad. Happy for Danny, if that is what he wants to do. But still, I am very sad.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 5 months ago

Good for him. I wish him the best and hope someday his path leads back to Lawrence. Tulsa just became my second favorite team. The only problem is that the NCAA has a habit of setting up interesting match-ups in the tournament. Don't be surprised if K.U. winds up playing Tulsa in the tournament in a year or two.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 5 months ago

Time to put up some Dalonte Hill money!!!!!

KUbsee69 2 years, 5 months ago

I, like most others had hoped Danny would stay in his "home town" forever. But, whatever his choice is, I wish him only the best.

Now, the question is ... who would / could buy Danny's Larryville estate ... indoor basketball arena, eight-foot doorways and all?

Ron Franklin 2 years, 5 months ago

We knew this day was coming. Weeks like this remind me my heart strings have always been tied to Kansas, and never were to Kansas State. I didn't give a crap about Frank Martin leaving KSU--nothing from KSU ever hurts. Losing Roy hurt. Losing Danny hurts.

All I can really (unselfishly) say, is congrats to Danny. He's earned it.

I find it very disrespectful the schools come calling for our assistants right before the final four. I understand that's the nature of the business though.

08Jayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Like everyone else, great for Danny Manning. He isn't getting any younger and he's earned the right to be a head coach. He will be back at KU at some point, we all know this. I hope every school that goes after Danny knows this too. However, have to agree that the timing is awful. Really Tulsa? Right before Final Four, can't wait 4 days? Give me a break. I don't think it will be much of a distraction because it's not like we're losing Self. But still, the timing of this is disrespectful to the team trying to get ready for the Final 4. The spotlight should be on them. The team and Self should not have to answer questions on this during their run to a NC.

OonlyBonly 2 years, 5 months ago

We will survive. But, if Danny takes the Tulsa job maybe the Big 12 should look at bringing Tulsa in..........

justinryman 2 years, 5 months ago

What about bringing in Kevin Pritchard to replace Stinson?

As for Danny's replacement as a big guy coach, not sure that there is anyone on the same level, but I think there is someone out there that can be a part of this coaching staff and have a positive affect on the team.

First thought is Wayne Simien.

As for Shabazz talking us off his list, I am OK with it. Look at the team we have this year, look at the teams we have had when there was a one and done on it. Which team would you rather have?

Phoghorn 2 years, 5 months ago

You know what would be cool? If Coach Manning and the KU Jayhawks won a National Championship when nobody thought we would be in the Final Four. It would be just like deja-vu all over again! (Apologies to Yogi Berra).

Jim Pendleton 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes, I hate to lose Danny too. He has done great work with all the big guys. However, assistants all want to be head coaches some day. Unless you're willing to throw mega-asst dollars at him, and the fact he is the third ranking asst on the totem pole, that just isn't likely right now. For those that think this is the same as Roy leaving in '03, it's not even close, so don't even compare Danny that way.

People can't be mad about the timing of assts taking new jobs. First, there are only four schools still playing, just happens we are one of them. Second, if an asst wants to take a head coach position, it will go without saying that they can't do anything for the new school until we are done (Self said so for the record). Third and perhaps most important, spring signing period starts on April 11th, so a new guy is already going to be behind the eight ball on that as it is. If waiting this long to hire a new coach was an issue for the new school, they obviously have someone targeted (Danny in this case). Otherwise they would have hired someone else by now.

While I wouldn't rule out Danny could be KU head coach some day, I don't think it will ever be for waiting on Coach Self to retire. Biggest reason is they are only a few years apart in age. So if Self coaches 10-15 more years, Danny wouldn't realistically have a lot of years to be head coach here himself. Now if Self walks away earlier, then maybe. Another factor is Self was 40 when he came, so the administration may again want someone younger when Self retires or walks away.

It's been a great year, let's make this weekend special and come away with a couple more wins. Rock Chalk!!

justinryman 2 years, 5 months ago

The Kansas bench might be just like the team.

You don't rebuild at KU, you reload.

I am sure coach Self has a few guys in mind right away to fill the empty seats next to him on the bench. I am sure this isn't the first time that a coach or two have been tempted to leave for another job. It's a great sign when a coach can be taken off the bench and be the head of another bench.

What this will do, after the Final Four is to keep KU in the headlines, with coaches leaving and with coaches joining the staff. That's not bad press either, thats a positive to be seen and heard of after the Final Four.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm happy for Danny and he should do well at Tulsa. I hope that he makes the transition well, I think it is a tough transition.

I am somewhat amazed that people think this will set our program back. If I'm not mistaken we have struggled to actually get big men to come to KU (for some reason) recently. I think however, Coach Self knows what he is doing and if this year doesn't tell us one thing it is that Coach Self can coach. He knows how to bring out the best in his players. Whether he is thin at the post or thin at the guard postions he is able to adjust. This year we have arguably been thin in both of these and have had great success.

I really hope Danny does well in Tulsa. I think a lot of us will tune into Tulsa games just to see how the coaching goes. Congrats to the Golden Hurricanes, they have introduced one of the beloved players in KU history to their family.

danno1313 2 years, 5 months ago

Congrats Danny. Tulsa seems to be quite a DROP OFF from KU however.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm only two hours north of Tulsa, I'll be going to some of their games now for sure.

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 5 months ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew this day would come but I still never wanted it to happen! I love D Man! He is so important to developing our bigs! Think about how important he has been to our recent teams that centered around T-Rob, the Morri, Cole and so on. I really hope Self can manage to develop players like that without Danny or we could be in big trouble!

Sorry, I'm in official panic mode now. Hopefully everything will turn out to be ok, and that it turns out Self is an amazing big-man developer in his own right. I just don't know how you replace a guy like Danny the Manning!

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 5 months ago

Conrratulations to Danny and Barry. Can't blame the mids for attaching to our coattails. Great timing to make their hires during college basketball's biggest week with two assistants from a contender.

Chad Smith 2 years, 5 months ago

We all should be Happy for Manning if he takes the job. He deserves it and he will be a great head coach. He's one of KU's brightest stars and forever will be loved by KU Nation. If he takes the job there or somewhere else, I wish him nothing but the best, except for when Tulsa inevitably gets a 2nd or 3rd round matchup with KU in the next couple years in the tourney, then we'll have to take him to the cleaners...hahahaha. Seriously tho, he's too good to be an assistant forever and he will be a great coach wherever he ends up. Thank you Danny for all you have given to the KU program!