Originally published March 28, 2012 at 01:39p.m., updated March 28, 2012 at 03:51p.m.

Barry Hinson to be hired by SIU at 3:30 p.m. press conference

Self says Hinson ' ... positive, energetic, unselfish'

Kansas center Jeff Withey celebrates with director of basketball operations Barry Hinson after the Jayhawks' 80-67 win over North Carolina to advance to the Final Four on Sunday,  March 25, 2012 at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis.

Kansas center Jeff Withey celebrates with director of basketball operations Barry Hinson after the Jayhawks' 80-67 win over North Carolina to advance to the Final Four on Sunday, March 25, 2012 at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis.

Kansas director of basketball operations Barry Hinson will be announced as Southern Illinois' head coach at a 3:30 p.m. press conference.

"Twitter ban is over! Ready to introduce our new coach and welcome Coach Hinson 2 SalukiNation!" SIU athletic director Mario Moccia said in a Tweet on Wednesday. "We will put all efforts 2 winning immediately."

Hinson replaces Chris Lowery, who spent eight seasons at SIU.

"I have never been around a more positive, energetic, unselfish person," KU coach Bill Self. "He is loyal, ethical and can coach and recruit. He also is a GREAT... not good public speaker — probably got that from his father, a Baptist minister. I love the guy. The community, administration, staff and players will also in Carbondale. Barry Hinson gets it and will be a great person to work with and build the Southern Illinois basketball program."

Comments

Steven Mathew 7 years, 7 months ago

So I'm guessing that means he won't be with us for the remainder of the tournament?

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 7 months ago

Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting...First job is to keep Lowery's recruits from bolting and another week without someone at the helm is a long time in this business.

Hail_To_Thee 7 years, 7 months ago

Absolute poor timing by SIU administration to make this announcement. What ever happened to respect for others situations? I dont think this is going to be a huge distraction for our guys, but even if it causes a tiny bit of distraction, its something that could have been avoided by holding off a week. FFS people (SIU), have a little class. Let a team finish out their season before you make waves.

Congrats Mr Hinson. Hope you are successful at your new assignment. I'm sure all the players and coaches will miss your BBQ.

Eric Williams 7 years, 7 months ago

I would bet that Hinson stays with KU through the weekend. He was "announced" not "introduced."

Also, considering the honest approach of Self and his staff, I'd also bet there was a team meeting where Hinson told them.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Maybe he'll make the " I don't give a $hit about SIU....." speech. ?

milehighhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Congrats, Barry!

810 saying that Manning is rumored to be the leading candidate at Tulsa. As much as I want D-Man to be named a head coach somewhere, I'm scared to death about what his departure could mean for developing our big guys.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 7 months ago

KFH Radio in Wichita is reporting that he is hired by Tulsa.

StirrrThePot 7 years, 7 months ago

"Absolute poor timing by SIU administration to make this announcement. What ever happened to respect for others situations? "

They obviously tore a page out of the University of North Carolina's playbook titled "How to Hire a Basketball Coach"

Hail_To_Thee 7 years, 7 months ago

haha. The guy in the avatar above yours can vouch for that. ;)

jhox 7 years, 7 months ago

I can't imagine Coach Self won't welcome him to finish out the season and experience the Final 4 with the team, and I definitely can't imagine SIU wouldn't allow him to do it. This may be a once or twice in a lifetime kind of deal for him. My bet is that he will be there, and that he'll be in the locker room with the guys. As the SIU A.D. I would want him to be there. Having that experience under his belt will make him that much more valuable to SIU.

In the meantime, there is nothing to stop him from getting started organizing his new job. I think his biggest role with KU was making sure road trips went smoothly, and I'm sure he's probably already got those details in place.

FoCoCoHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

"Yeah, we got some changes going on around here, guys...people moving on and up. And that's because of one thing: You make us look good. All the hard work and effort you've been putting in has paid off bigtime. Look at where we are: In the lockerroom at the Super Dome, getting ready to go out and play for a chance at a National Championship. A lot of credit is being shared for that; hell, some people are even saying I had something to do with that. But right here, right now, the people in this room know the truth about that. How many rebounds has Coach Manning had this year? How many tough screens has Barry fought thru? I might be wrong about my three point percentage but I'm pretty sure it's zero. No, all this fuss is about the job YOU guys have done, about your commitment to the game, your sweat, your bruises, and most of all to your devotion to each other. That's what got us here: Your sense of who WE are as a team and your absolute belief that you can make each other better. Don't ever forget that. No amount of pain, fatigue or disappointment can take away that sense of togetherness...not tonight, tomorrow or the day after that, next week...NEVER. You will never get far looking back...except by growing from your mistakes...which is a helluva lot easier when you KNOW your teammates have your back. I hope you have as much fun and pride going out there as a team and playing together as I do coaching you. Go out and show people what Kansas basketball is all about and why so many people want in on the magic."---Bill Self, Saturday afternoon

Troll_or_AntiTroll 7 years, 7 months ago

This should be interesting. Based on the headline, SIU is actually going to hire Hinson at the press conference, as opposed to announcing that he has already been hired.

Dyrk Dugan 7 years, 7 months ago

He was a coach for a long time before he came here to be a glorified logistics coordinator.

So congrats to Coach Hinson....and BTW, this will be not one iota of a distraction to our team. It matters not a hill of beans. Yes, as an above post alluded to, ask Roy Williams on how to be a distraction while being courted by another school.

Go Jayhawks!

Stan Unruh 7 years, 7 months ago

WIBW just reported that Hinson told them he was a Kansas Basketball employee until 11:30 p.m. Monday night.

Pbbut 7 years, 7 months ago

My guess is that Henson and Self both agreed that the timing of this announcement would not be a problem or interfere with anything that is happening in New Orleans this weekend. That said, in my opinion, Barry and Missouri St. got screwed a couple of times by the NCAA. At one time, one of his teams had the highest RPI at the end of the regular season to NOT be invited to the NCAA, somewhere around #27 I believe. It still may be the record. I hope he does well in Carbondale.

Eric Williams 7 years, 7 months ago

How sweet would it be to get Paul Pierce, Drew Gooden or Nick Collison at KU to coach Guards or Forwards once Manning leaves?

Pitthawk34 7 years, 7 months ago

I did notice that Larry Brown was around the program this year more than I have seen in a long time. It would be completely awesome if he joined the staff.

jaybate 7 years, 7 months ago

Southern Illinois hires a Self Baller, a subset of Okie Ballers, thus getting back to its Jack Hartman roots of the 1960s.

Illinois State has a Self Baller and a Hartman Okie Baller in Janks.

Now The Illini, after failing to hire Shaka Smart, now appear to be about to hire John Groce away from Ohio University. Groce is a Sendek/Matta disciple. What a terrible mistake the Illini are making. They had great luck with Kruger and Self despite both leaving. Webber never had the right personality. Now they hire a Sendek/Matta clone. Shoulda hired on of Self's fellows, then the state of Illinois would be largely converted to Okie Ball.

jaybate 7 years, 7 months ago

Illinois State has a Self Baller and a Hartman Okie Baller in Janks.

Now The Illini, after failing to hire Shaka Smart, appear to be about to hire John Groce away from Ohio University. Groce is a Sendek/Matta disciple. What a terrible mistake the Illini are making. Look at Sendek at ASU. Look at the botch of things Sean Miller mad of it with lots of talent at UA--12-6 in a weak Pacified 12.

The Illini had great luck with Kruger and Self despite both leaving. Webber, a whiney insecure type, never had the right personality and built the Illni downwards. Now they hire a Sendek/Matta disciple. Shoulda hired one of Self's fellows, then the state of Illinois would be largely converted to Okie Ball; then Illininois was become a hotbed of basketball, as it is at the high school level.

Idiots at Illinois are still living in the 20th Century and arguing over what color their coach should be, instead of arguing about the AD not being able to land a good African American coach in Shaka Smart, and then settling for a Sendek/Matta clone.

The AD at Illinois needs to get focused on getting the best they can instead of hiring a Sendek/Matta guy.

Ben Kane 7 years, 7 months ago

if true, i'm happy for DM, but sad overall. I guess i knew deep down he wouldn't stay here under Self forever, but i sure hoped he would.

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 7 years, 7 months ago

I can't believe kusports hasn't run a story on this.

Ben Kane 7 years, 7 months ago

busy partying in nawleans i guess. i'm sure they will have something by tomorrow.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 7 months ago

This is good news. This means other schools understand the dominance of Kansas Basketball. We want to broaden the Kansas Coaching Tree! Danny has done so much for Kansas Basketball; he will always have a special place in our hearts. We don't rebuild, we reload. We will be fine. We are Kansas!

AsadZ 7 years, 7 months ago

ESPN is reporting that Danny Manning has accepted HC job at Tulsa.

Many congrats to DM.

KU HC tree is growing.

AsadZ 7 years, 7 months ago

ESPN is reporting that Danny Manning has accepted HC job at Tulsa.

Many congrats to DM.

KU HC tree is growing.

MrPilot 7 years, 7 months ago

Why couldn't SIU and Tulsa wait until next week do to this? It's pretty rude to step in and take the focus away from the one (possible two) games we still have to play this weekend. They couldn't wait a few days to announce?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for Coach Hinson and Coach Manning, but they still have work to do with KU.

AZHawk72 7 years, 7 months ago

Wow, I could understand it had we lost last weekend, but we still have a game scheduled Saturday and, hopefully, next Monday. Good-bye, Barry. I read you were a great assist on recruiting. Good-bye, Danny, as you were the main attraction for the bigs brought on board. Good-bye, Mr. Parker of 2012, as you now won't be coming, yet you moved well for 260 in the "One More Reason I Don't Go To McDonalds" game. And enjoy the Texas school of your choice, Mr. Randall (2013), now that the conference has lost its best big-man coach.

This, despite all the positive spins put upon it by Coach Self and the remainder of the athletic department, is totally unacceptable. Note: Jerod Haase was announced the couple days AFTER Carolina lost, not before the Heels walked to the first tee. This is totally unprofessional.

Last I heard, there's a difference between athletic director and athletic supporter. One is supposed to have thoughts for the betterment of the program while the other serves as protection between the legs. It looks like the wrong one was "driving the bus" today.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 7 months ago

Like Baylor develops Bigs. The sky isn't falling yet. Have faith in Self.

AZHawk72 7 years, 7 months ago

Steve Brown 7 years, 7 months ago

Wonder what other shoe will drop next week, we don't have any NBA spots open I hope.

Happy for Barry and all the KU dudes that get to improve themselves.