Tuesday, March 27, 2012

South Carolina hires men’s basketball coach Martin

— South Carolina has hired Frank Martin to revitalize its basketball program.

School trustees approved a six-year contract worth more than $2 million a year on average Tuesday morning.

"You have to do your due diligence, and quite frankly, I think we got the right person in Frank Martin," South Carolina athletic director Eric Hyman said.

South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier and two-time defending national championship baseball coach Ray Tanner came to Martin's introduction. Hyman hopes Martin can have the same winning impact on the basketball team.

Martin replaces Darrin Horn, who was fired two weeks ago after going 60-63 over four seasons.

The former Kansas State coach has reached four NCAA tournaments in his five seasons with the Wildcats and will take over a team that finished dead last in the Southeastern Conference last season. The Gamecocks have been to the NCAA tournament just once since 1998. They finished this season 10-21 and 2-14 in the SEC.

Martin will make $1.9 million next season, $2 million the year after that and $2.1 million the remaining years of the contract.

The son of Cuban immigrants, Martin coached high school basketball in Miami for 15 years and was an assistant at Northeastern for four seasons before Bob Huggins added him to his staff at Cincinnati. Martin credits Huggins with jumpstarting his career, saying the current coach at West Virginia helped him get into college coaching.

South Carolina will be a rebuilding job.

The team's record got progressively worse during Horn's four years. Their top player, point guard and two-sport high school star Bruce Ellington, originally promised to only play basketball next season, but after Horn was fired, he started hanging around the football field during spring practice.

Several other players could consider transfers as Martin's intense coaching style is a stark contrast from the laidback approach favored by Horn, who is owed a $2.4 million buyout.

Comments

KUFool 7 years, 7 months ago

Might not be a popular comment, but I think this is a big loss for KState. B12 basketball will be poorer from this move.

Rock_Chalk_NYC 7 years, 7 months ago

Definitely a loss... I heard rumor that Tad Boyle may be interested in a trip back to Kansas???

Blake Brown 7 years, 7 months ago

I agree. K-State just lost a winner albeit a feisty, in your face coach, a style I personally do not like and would have had difficulty playing for.

I like that he treated Bill Self with dignity and respect both during his tenure and on the recent CBS panel of tournament reviewers.

I wish him the best.

Now, let`s get on to the matter at hand. GO JAYHAWKS!

Ludwig Supraphonic 7 years, 7 months ago

I live in South Carolina. Seen here as a a big time hire and receiving extensive press coverage. Local sportscasters noting how long the program has been dormant (since Frank McGuire) and the hope recruiting can compete with Calamari. Excellent facilities and large endowment. I remember when the KUAD relocated to SC and KU played a game in Columbia, much was made of the disparity b/w the SC and KU athletic budget. With an occasional blip of being competitive in football (Carlin, Morrison, Holtz) and baseball; SC has generally underachieved given their facilities and fanbase. SC used their press conference to pair Martin with Tanner (2 baseball NCs) and Spurrier to hope basketball becomes relevant. I also think it's a big loss for KSU. I live in SC but I'm certainly not hoping for anything that will elevate the sec.

John Mueller 7 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. Not a good day for the Big 12 or the Purple. He will be missed.

Obviously, none of us ever want to lose to those mongrels, but I think a strong competitive K-State bball program is good for KU and certainly good for the Big 12.

Tim Jankovich, anyone?

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 7 months ago

Shaka turned down Illinois, I doubt he would take KSU's job. Keep in mind he makes like $1.4MM at a mid-major, he'd have to get a real good opportunity to make the jump.

I'm guessing the Wichita State coach.

Mike Gammill 7 years, 7 months ago

Read on the UNC website that Haase has accepted the HC job at UAB.

prairie_rattler 7 years, 7 months ago

Despite relatively lean times between Kruger and Huggins, of the Big 12 schools, K-State only trails KU in regards to basketball tradition and legacy. Martin was a ticking time bomb, an embarrassment really. It's nice to know it'll go off in the SEC. Hell, he just admitted to paying college players as a former AAU coach, I can't imagine the NCAA is going to do him any favors.

K-State will do just fine.. make a great hire.. and return K-State to it's rightful position as our true rival.

april28 7 years, 7 months ago

So....here's K-State's real problem. Who will take a job knowing that he will, most likely, always be second-fiddle in his own state? KC radio went down a list of 10 to 15 coaches and Doug Gottlieb said that none of them would likely take the job.

I'm not saying that they won't find a good coach, but it is going to be difficult - especially if the perception is that the KSU AD is hard to work for.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

For the money he was making, I'd coach them myself.

Of course, there might be some point shaving scandals when we play KU. heheh

Kevin Crook 7 years, 7 months ago

He had not delivered on better recruits like Huggins did that first year. He was the the best they had since Krueger though. This is a lateral move at best. I think he is just getting away from an AD who he had butted heads with before ie last year when Martin seemed to openly campaign for the Miami job and the way Currie messed up the Samuels money order situation (why didn't they just reverse the money order???). I never "bonded" with him like some other people did on here, and I am intrigued with who might take this job next...

danmoore 7 years, 7 months ago

I don't know how they do it. First Holtz, then Spurrier and now Martin who IMO is taking a step back by accepting this position.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 7 months ago

I wonder if USC's due diligence occurred before or after he announced on National TV that he has been paying college athletes that he coached in High School?

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 7 months ago

Sorry double clicked on accident...new it when I did it.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 7 months ago