Originally published March 27, 2012 at 07:10p.m., updated March 27, 2012 at 09:03p.m.

Report: Hinson in as Southern Illinois coach

Kansas center Jeff Withey celebrates with director of basketball operations Barry Hinson after the Jayhawks' 80-67 win over North Carolina to advance to the Final Four on Sunday,  March 25, 2012 at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis.

Kansas center Jeff Withey celebrates with director of basketball operations Barry Hinson after the Jayhawks' 80-67 win over North Carolina to advance to the Final Four on Sunday, March 25, 2012 at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis.

Kansas University director of basketball operations Barry Hinson has accepted an offer to become the head coach at Southern Illinois, according to Jeff Goodman of CBS Sports and Carbondale KFVS-TV 12's website.

However, The Southern newspaper of Carbondale in confirming the hiring of Hinson says Hinson might not be introduced until after the Final Four, pending contract talks.

SIU's sports information office did not immediately respond to a message asking to confirm the news to the Southern newspaper, but WPSD-TV 6 tweeted the office denied Hinson had been hired or that there was a press conference Wednesday.

KU staff members have a policy of not commenting on job openings they may be involved with.

Comments

bubbahawk 2 years ago

Coach Hinson! Good Luck to you from a BKHS alum.

ku_jayhawk09 2 years ago

If Coach Manning leaves Self should try to lure Norm Roberts back to KU

wrwlumpy 2 years ago

My Jaybate impersonation

Dooley and Townsend both turn down jobs every year. Dooley's east coast recruiting skills must pay better than the New England mid-majors do. Same with coach T.

Being on the bench at KU gives you more national media attention than you would ever get at Dusquene. The Bill Self pay increase that followed the national championship was negotiated to also keep the coaches that we have. Danny's weekly radio show's allows us to know how he works with big men.

The fact that every time Withy or Robinson come out of a game, the great national video drama that KU creates each year begins. Here's how it goes... TRob or Jeff come to the bench filled with anger, joy, focused intensity, etc, and the camera shows each of their faces as they sit next to Coach Manning. They watch him as he coaches them. The announcer in the background usually quietly metions the incredible coaching job that Danny has done with the KU big men. This is what the nation thinks of Danny Manning. The picture of his NCAA Championship final rebound is featured everytime the CBS tournament theme comes on.

Every announcer in America does our recruiting for us by showing the real bench coaching of every one of our coaches. I would also hate to lose the best strength coach in America.

We wan't Danny to stay but we would be stupid and ungrateful to not allow another University to offer $2,000,000 for him to recruit his own big men and his own assistant coaches.

People have said that money is not an object, but Danny's money went through what all of our investments did back in 2007. $2 mill plus incentives and radio, TV plus shoe rights. Tulsa will pay all of this just to be relevant again.

Bill would be the logical first person to call when looking for a coach. I'm also sure that it was Tulsa that brought up the name Manning. Danny praises cooach Self each week on his radio show . They they have a great relationship that goes back to the Larry Brown days.

Rant!

South Carolina? A lot of questions about Frank...

What the hell is going on this week in the Big 12? Sign the Sprint Center contract extension for 10 more years. Yesterdays MU press conference with SEC comish let us find out that the SEC wants the Sprint Center for 2017.

I'm now a UAB fan

cobweb 2 years ago

Great move for Hinson. He got screwed at SW Missouri St.

Vincent Patterson 2 years ago

This is some BS! Talk about a buzz killa! I mean, they really couldn't wait until 1 more week to come after our coaching staff? Hinson doesn't hurt so much and I do wish him well at SIU, but losing Manning would be devastating! I've gotta think that Manning has told them "we can talk after our season is officially over", because he knows they've got to be focused on only one thing right now..BEATING OSU! The team can sit there and say that they are focused and that none of this is distracting, but we all know it IS distracting. Talk is cheap and we've been throught this before! Lord, please don't let Danny outta Lawrence! "What I'ma do bout my legs Charlie Murphy??!!!!!!"

Jason Keller 2 years ago

God dangit!!! Why couldn't all of this be kept internal until Tony Parker makes a decision. We were pretty much his leading school because of how we develop big men. If he thinks Danny is leaving, kiss him goodbye.

Jonathan Allison 2 years ago

I doubt that Danny Manning would take any head coaching job if Bill Self wasn't giving him his blessing, but even more so the Tulsa job. You can guarantee that if Danny does go coach TU that Bill has encouraged him to do so. And if Bill is encouraging Danny to go be a head coach somewhere then we can only hope that that means Bill Self is determined to have a long future as the head coach of KU.

Unless, as HEM suggested that Danny would be leaving Self's wings to get battle tested to prepare him for a possible reunion as KU head man.

I'll either of those options, though I would love to keep Danny as Bill's #1 assistant...

RockChalk26 2 years ago

Why didn't they wait until after the Final Four to announce? Seems like horrible timing to me.

AsadZ 2 years ago

Guys, Never under estimate Bill Self. He will find a great replacement for Hinson. Hinson was fired from his previous job and to be honest HCBS did him a favor by bringing him to KU when he was out of work. I am not worried at all.

Regarding Manning I had read that he wants to be a head coach some day but from what I understand his kids are still in high school. So I do not see him leaving until they graduate. Regardless, becoming a head coach will be good for Manning but I am sure HCBS will find another great assistant coach to replace him if and when he departs.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years ago

Let's not sabatoge the Final 4 excitement with all this innuendo and speculation...I plan on just enjoying this weekend...will deal with all that other stuff in mid April.

stm62 2 years ago

Enough speculation !!! Enjoy the moment. Some schools haven't advanced to the Final Four despite over 100 years of trying.

okiedave 2 years ago

Glad Hinson is getting another shot as head coach. Danny will have that opportunity some day -- if he wants it. However, not sure why Danny would want it. Being an assistant at Kansas is better than being head coach at most schools. Danny is a Lawrence kid and a great place to live and raise your family. Why leave a great gig to go to a pressure cooker head job at some other school were the previous head coach could not make it work?

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years ago

Great picture of him, by the way

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years ago

So I was watching the end of the NBC News before Leno started, and the guys goes "KU director of BBall Operations Doug Hinson was named SIU head coach." Made me shake my head.. Good luck Barry you'll be missed greatly on the staff. Good thing is, you gained thousands of future SIU fans from us KU fans. I know I'll be rooting for you guys.

jaybate 2 years ago

"Thingsth Thad Matta Thought Theriouthly Today"

• I thought I thaw a puddy tat! I did. I did. I did theeee a puddy tat.

•Thuffering thuccotash, the Kanthas Jayhawkth. Thatth not fair. They are too fast for usth.

• Thullinger did not play the firtht game.

• Aaron Craft ith a sthtopper.

• Dethaun Thomasth can't guard Thomath Robinthon. Help!

(Note: All ficthion. No malith.)

UmbertoConforti 2 years ago

If Martin left K-State I wonder why they didn't try to hire Manning. He'd seem a perfect fit, better than Tulsa. Have you ever been to Tulsa? The only good thing about that place is there are several roads leading from it to Kansas. Check out the University the next time your there. Excuse me, I briefly forgot that K-State was in Manhattan. All things considered I need a Manhattan.

If Manning goes, and I hope he doesn't, can't another former NBA big man be convinced to coach at KU? The way BB is going NBA personnel are what to have. They know how to push, shove, kick, or whatever and take extra steps, rarely dribble in the post, and play hard most of the time. I liked the Collison idea.

Brendan Connolly 2 years ago

Totally off subject, but the ex-player (not ex-Jayhawk) I would love to see Self somehow get in the fold is Jacque Vaughn. Still my ideal Jayhawk. He might be smartest player ever at Kansas and did EVERYTHING right. Would be a great influence and is starting his coaching career as we speak. Tough to get him to be assistant as he is one in NBA right now, but he loved Kansas.

I can sill remember his speech Junior year when everyone thought he would leave early. Ten minutes before him a UK player announced and was talking about how he's gotz to be paid and how he was bringing his skills to the league and they better be ready. Vaughn takes to podium and says something along the lines of..."in the immortal words of Robert Frost, I have come to a fork in the road and today I shall take the path less taken and it will make all the difference......I am returning for my senior year.". Jacque you are the path less taken and represent all that is good about college athletics. If there is anyway to get you involved in this program short of getting rid of Self I would be all for it. I realize he is different position and for that matter level of lore in KU history, but would be great pickup if we lose Dan the man.

Adam James 2 years ago

Huge loss for the program all around, but how about Larry Brown stepping up in some capacity. He may be a bit old take over Hinson, but we can ship Danny over and move Larry Brown to an assistant.

Jim Jackson 2 years ago

Let's get Norm Roberts back to KU, ASAP

jaybate 2 years ago

When people talk about assistants leaving, it often centers on the loss of their skills to the program, the loss of recruits, or their potential down the road for returning, and that all matters. But what I think about is the loss to Coach Self.

Hinson is obviously a close friend and having a close friend to talk to at the office is a great comfort and rarity. Big personal loss.

Manning and Self are undoubtedly a complicated relationship, because they are close in age, Manning's legacy at KU goes farther back, and both have large presence. Self knows Danny has a rare combination of knowledge, legacy and physical and psychological stature that make him suited to coach big men in a way that is hard to completely replace. Danny's dad was a pro player and a coach. Danny's coach was LB. Danny had some good pro coaches. You dont find guys with that kind of knowlege around much.That's got to be a tough professional, collegial loss for Self day to day day just from the standpoint of being able talk the game on a high level.

Joe Dooley is a jock and a quantoid and that is pretty rare right there.

But Self is in the coaching profession and this is how professions are...ever changing mixes of persons with different skills you try to get the most out of.

Teams change. Staffs change. If you don't enjoy putting staffs and teams together, don't become a coach.

BPSkelly 2 years ago

Im not surprised that Hinson is taking the opportunity. Im likely one of the few posters here who attended both KU and MSU (SMS at the time).

Hinson had good success, but could never crack that top rail for any length of time in the MVC. If im correct he won 20 or more games 4-5 years in a row, but NEVER went to the NCAAs. Hinson came in after Steve Alford left for Iowa and people were skeptical, but anyone who's spent any time with him at public appearances knows how personable a guy he is and how much he enjoys teaching these guys how to play and how to learn about life. Id be shocked if he doesnt turn SIU around pretty quickly. He's already shown he can coach at that level. Hopefully he gets them to the tournament sometime soon.

Personally I think the Manning speculation is just that. But when you have success, and even moreso sustained success coaches arent going to stick around. Thats why these guys coach... to be head coaches somewhere. What a better thing to have on a resume' but a Final Four or two and coaching at KU. I dont think the issue for Manning would be money. He's got that already. Not unlike Hinson, its the chance to have your own program. I personally think he's staying, but we'll see.

Id be far more shocked about Manning than I am about Hinson. He's made it clear he wanted a HC job when he took the job here at KU.

REHawk 2 years ago

Man O Man, that sudden Manning speculation is a real jolt. Personally, I think Danny still has a body of work ahead of him at Kansas, what with all these big kids coming in. If he is ready to go, I wish the best for him; and if he does well as a head coach, I hope to see him return some day to lead the Jayhawks. I do not envision Bill Self staying at our helm into his late sixties. Too many variables come into play in regard to job permanency for toplevel head coaches. We are blessed to have experienced the brilliance and winning traditions of Brown, Williams, Self. Gotta cherish their contributions while they are at our helm, because the twists and turns of time and circumstance are bound to intervene.

Ferd Magellan 2 years ago

He's all class, and definitely deserving of a good head coaching gig.

Jack Wilson 2 years ago

Danny taking the Tulsa job may be good news in the long run. If Self leaves -- and we know he won't be here forever -- there would even now be enormous pressure to give the job to Manning.

This way, we can see what he's got as a head coach. And he would be better prepared to take the job. If it doesn't go well, then we could avoid a major mistake in the future. That is worth losing out on some recruits.

Manning does 4 years at Tulsa, moves to say Iowa or someone like that, then he's the heir apparent, or not.

ironhead80 2 years ago

I live in Tulsa and would'nt know why Manning would take the TU coaching job. I believe there is a better position out there for him to coach, yes! I know Bill coached at TU, there are other people running it now. It's not the same.

Natedoggof04 2 years ago

If we lose out on Danny then we lose out on Chris Walker for 2013!!! God I hope he doesnt take the job

shotto 2 years ago

The last two years I have attended "Ladies Night Out With Bill Self." I guess you would say that Barry was the master of ceremonies. He was so much fun. He is a hoot! He has so many stories . . . ask him about the time he and Bill Self were introduced during chapel services at Oral Roberts and he was asked to lead the prayer. I will miss this loveable man!

KGphoto 2 years ago

Hinson will be missed, but Danny? OMG please nooooo! It's like losing an arm.

Why do all these hires and rumors have to come out at this time? It happened with Weis in K.C. before the playoffs. Hinson to SIU. Danny rumors...

Lacks a little class.

kickazzkurtz 2 years ago

Remember when K State was paying their assistant some ridiculous money? Time to do that for Danny Manning. Give him about 800k. Keep him here. I think if he is paid well enough he will stay.

RJ King 2 years ago

This is a huge loss for Kansas, a great get for the Salukis. If Angel Morris was the "Mom" figure for T-Robb last year, surely Barry Hinson was a father-figure. I'm so happy to see such a well respected and deserving guy get another chance. The timing is terrible however. What a distraction just before the finals.

If Danny goes, would Wayne coach? Pollard? Collison after NBA? With talk of Danny leaving, I'm glad Ellis, Peters, and Lucas have already inked their letters. Parker's announce date is the day after Shabazz's. What does that mean? I think they'll both go ucla.

Aaaauuuggghhh!!! Boy do we get attached to these folks!

Clarence Haynes 2 years ago

Best word to describe Hinson? Character!

floridajayhawks 2 years ago

Losing DM could hurt the chances of landing Parker.

mojayhawk 2 years ago

Congratulations Barry! You deserve this! We liked you in Springfield, were thrilled when you went to KU, and wish you the best at SIU! Your moving on is a loss to the Jayhawks, but I know Coach Self is excited for you also. Best of luck!

P.S. Sorry everybody for my lame bracket.

Jaminrawk 2 years ago

Great get for SIU. Coach Hinson was fun to have around for awhile.

Chris Bruning 2 years ago

Coaches and players will miss his personality and barbecue get togethers!!!!

Carter Patterson 2 years ago

Happy for our coaches but I thought Coach Self had a rule against assistants talking until after the season?

jhox 2 years ago

I agree, huge loss for KU. His personality was a big hit with recruits. Channel 41 in KC reported tonight that Danny Manning is the leading candidate for the Tulsa job. When a staff does a coaching job like the one our staff did this year, people take notice, and this is the downside. I'm happy for these guys though. We've been lucky to keep them as long as we have.

MrPilot 2 years ago

:-(

I'm happy for Coach Hinson, but that's a big loss for KU.