Tuesday, March 27, 2012

K-State AD denies rift led to Martin’s departure

— Kansas State athletic director John Currie denied Tuesday that a rift with Frank Martin was the primary reason the popular basketball coach left for the same job at South Carolina.

Currie said he tried to offer Martin a chance to restructure his contract several times over the course of the season. That included a last-minute pitch Monday, when Martin called to inform K-State officials that he was accepting an offer from the Gamecocks.

Currie was joined at a news conference Tuesday by Kansas State president Kirk Schulz, who offered support of his athletic director.

Currie said he would begin the search immediately for a new coach. He would not say whether he has a list of potential candidates and declined to offer a timetable for the hiring.

This will be the first time Currie has hired a major coach since taking over in 2009.

Comments

Stan Unruh 7 years, 7 months ago

Currie also did not explain how the now famous Jamar Samuels $200 receipt was "found in the trash" and wound up in the KSU compliance office. Did a Jayhawk fan help out?

Phoghorn 7 years, 7 months ago

I just read the article in the T-p-k- C-p-t-l J--rn-l. For you British Comedy fans, it seems that Currie is a male version of this lady: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyacinth_Bucket

Spencer Goff 7 years, 7 months ago

I like that. +1 sir for the BBC reference.

7 years, 7 months ago

Dana Altman part II? He was a heck of a recruiter as an assistant under Lon Kruger (e.g. Mitch Richmond), and has evolved considerably as a head coach since his departure to Creighton and subsequently Oregon.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 7 months ago

They brought Snyder back to restore football, will they bring wooldridge back to restore hoops?

kupride4u 7 years, 7 months ago

haha only if the neckbrace returns with him!

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 7 months ago

Im having a hard time understanding this one aside from a salary increase... South Carolina?

Lash 7 years, 7 months ago

Closer to home. And isn't any place better than the Lil Apple? Well, except Columbia.

kranny 7 years, 7 months ago

I agree. Have heard he was not pleased with the spineless way the Jamar Samuels situation was handled.

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 7 months ago

It does suck. But if I were paid 1.4 million or whatever annually (plus bonuses), I could tolerate most anywhere.

Spencer Goff 7 years, 7 months ago

Well, initial reports are suggesting his new cash flow should be around 2 million a year guaranteed. A pay raise, don't have to deal with a dumbass boss that only has a spine when dealing with you, and better scenery that is as close to Myrtle Beach as Manhattan is to.... uh... Kansas City?

Yeah, not sure I would say no.

Gary Wirsig 7 years, 7 months ago

Why do you say that? Not that I'm a proponent of Manhattan, but why do you say it's crappy?

Bill Shaw 7 years, 7 months ago

Kansas State University Rufus F. Cox Cow-Calf Unit Note: a major cow by-product is crap.

Ron Franklin 7 years, 7 months ago

Dot com I usually enjoy your comments, but this one is so off base and offensive I wanted to step in and tell you that its okay to not comment on things you know nothing about. And its clear you know nothing at all about the city, community, and people of manhattan kansas.

dylans 7 years, 7 months ago

It's the only place I have ever had a gun pulled on me. It is also devoid of culture and class. Chickens on the court? Shirtless fans wearing coveralls? I went to rusty's last chance and heard more racist comments in one hour than I've heard in any other year of my life. But I admit I try to avoid the little apple like the plague so I have limited knowledge of the town or its backwards inhabitants.

Ron Franklin 7 years, 7 months ago

So, you've been to Ahearn Fieldhouse, Bramelage, and Aggieville and that is Manhattan, Kansas to you? What about their quality of life? Their educational system? Parks and recreation? Average income? Community living? Commuting? Cost of living? Culture? Do you actually know where the city ranks nationally in those categories?

dylans 7 years, 7 months ago

The old principal of one of the Manhattan high schools came to my town and screwed several of the high school boys. She blew town before any charges where brought up, but I doubt they would have out of shame by the parents. The gun was pulled on me in a residential neighborhood. My sister graduated from K-State, so yes I have a little respect for the town, but very little. Do I care about other peoples rankings of such things? No. Personal experience trumps all. And I have been to Manhattan only 30-40 times over a 15 year period, but I am not going back. I've had enough. Lawrence is great. Manhattan average at best. It's like a small town that doesn't have the small town friendliness or the feeling that people care.

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 7 months ago

I still don't get it! Perhaps the rift holds more water than I first thought. Sure, its also a pay increase and its closer to Miami. Frank had K-State on the map though...

I believe he even had kids excited to go to the Octagon. South Carolina has crummy basketball tradition. No games they play will get close to the KU/KSU game in terms of national exposure. Its going to be very tough to get the students excited for anything but football.

Watch KSU make an offer to Shaka Smart :-p

Carter Patterson 7 years, 7 months ago

Yeah cause Shaka turned down Illinois hoping for KSU to call...please.

Spencer Goff 7 years, 7 months ago

And watch Shaka Smart turn that offer down. He is too professional to laugh in public, but I bet there would be some chuckles had.

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 7 months ago

Hm. My point was more that K-State might reach out towards coaches who have a win against Self, such as Smith or Pearl. I never suggested Shaka would listen to said offer.

aaaKU 7 years, 7 months ago

as a life long Jayhawk i know i shouldn't say this, but man i really like frank martin. i hope for the sake of our conference moving forward that the pussycats make a good hire and their basketball program can remain a legit tournament team year in and year out. now that missery is gone to the sec KU needs kstate to remain relevant so we can we still have a true rival.

Ben Kliewer 7 years, 7 months ago

+1, as much as I love humiliating the 'Cats, I'd prefer to have a legitimate contender to go up against.

Lash 7 years, 7 months ago

Your post has about as much merit as your final four picks...

Chris1955 7 years, 7 months ago

I have to believe that Frank was already looking when this "opportunity" came along. Being a Head BB Coach at KSU, means that you will always be relegated to secondary status in collegiate basketball in Kansas. You really want to compete against a guy who just won his 8th straight Big 12 title in 9 years with Bill Self at the helm? A guy who took this year's KU team to the Final 4? It means that you can't even get top in-state Kansas HS BB talent, as evidenced by the two recent KU commitments of Ellis and Frankamp (sp?).

At the University of South Carolina, you're now in the SEC. This means you're only a potential NCAA investigation at Kentucky away from competing on a more level playing field, or at least more so than at KSU.

Frankly (pun intended), I think Martin has found a HC position that he can grow and prosper at. Good luck Frank, we like you and wish you well!

In my opinion, it's an acknowledgement that Bill Self owns the Big 12, and that it's better to look for greener palmettos.

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 7 months ago

Bill Self said in his presser that he had talked to Frank last week, and that Frank had told him this was probably going to happen. I'm really sorry to see him go. I thought K-State had actually stumbled into a good coach, and now they seem to have driven him off.

Kyle Sybesma 7 years, 7 months ago

How about Bruce Pearl as a replacement?

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 7 months ago

Maybe Frank just liked the South Carolina mascot?

nwhawkfan 7 years, 7 months ago

Sorry to see Frank Martin go. Sideline antics aside, he always struck me as a stand-up guy with good coaching skills and a real passion for the game.

Wonder if he really thought this one out, or just wanted to get out from under Currie. Just because it's the SEC doesn't make it a smart move (as Mizzou is about to find out).

For rivalry's sake I hope KSU gets a quality replacement. No way they get Shaka Smart, though. If he turned down Illinois I doubt he'd make the move to Manhattan.

Geekinout 7 years, 7 months ago

...And once old man Snyder retires this season, time to get back out your old KU gear that you put in the attic K-State "turncoat" fans. Forecasts tell me that there might be some dark days ahead in the little apple.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 7 months ago

Maybe he's afraid of seeing his old mentor, Huggy Bear again!!!

Hey...there's our new rival...West Virginia!!!

Frank, only the best and every chance you get, please kick the snot out of Misery!!!!!

Freedman Moor 7 years, 7 months ago

Recruiting may also play a part. Here's a list of basketball players from SC:

Kevin Garnett Kwame Brown Ty Corbin Alex English Raymond Felton Jermaine O'neal Raymond Sessions

The total list of athletes from SC is pretty damned impressive. SC may fall into that "sleeping giant" category.

I hate that Martin left, but if his heart wasn't in it, both parties are ultimately better off. Currie better come up with an explanation as to why someone was rooting around in Jamar Samuels' trash quick though.

Bill Shaw 7 years, 7 months ago

I'd like to see Frank crank out a team that blows out MU. That would be soooo sweet! Besides how much purple can one person possibly stand?

Spencer Goff 7 years, 7 months ago

Best part of all of this, Frank Haith now gets to have his ass kicked by Frank Martin AND Mike Anderson at least three times a year.

Again, I need to print me some shirts....

"Karma; it is why all the bad things happen to Mizzou."

rob4lb 7 years, 7 months ago

I expected to read some Al Bohl references here. The one think I have to say about K-State is that I have a lot of respect for their coaches- Bill Snyder and Frank Martin, so I am sorry to see Martin go.

It helps KU to have strong conference rivalries and Frank Martin elevated K-State's program. Who do we now have that will be one of those annual "Rivalry Week" game now that MU has moved and K-State possibly on a downward slope. I guess it will be UT. Baylor and WV are possibilities.

The Big 12 has been one of the top three or four conferences for several years. It will be noticeably weaker in the next few years.

FSHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

I have never understood why so many are impressed with the guy. He got the job only because he could keep Delonte Hill, who could keep Beasley. He had almost no credentials. He was not an outstanding x and o guy. He thought players learned and responded by screaming and yelling in their face, a concept I have never understood. He was a C+ recruiter. The kitties are better off without him. Overrated, clap, clap, clap clap clap.

kansas25 7 years, 7 months ago

Frank Martin was a good coach, but his personality on the court was sometimes too much. Off the court, he seemed like a really good guy, although he's likely about to face some issues with his open discussion about breaking NCAA rules.

As far as possible replacements go, Jankovich at Illinois State is a name that keeps popping up. He played there and had the Red Birds legit this season in the MVC. What about pulling an Iowa State and going for Mitch Richmond?

Hopefully people on here realize that what's good for KU is when K-State, and others in the Big 12, are good, too. Hopefully, Currie can find someone that's going to pick up where Frank left off.