Originally published March 26, 2012 at 04:05p.m., updated March 26, 2012 at 04:16p.m.

AP Sources: Frank Martin takes South Carolina job

— Frank Martin has agreed to become South Carolina's next men's basketball coach, people familiar with the decision say.

The people spoke to The Associated Press Monday on condition of anonymity because the school had not announced the hiring. The university's board of trustees is scheduled to meet Tuesday morning to discuss a contract matter.

Martin will replace Darrin Horn, who was fired two weeks ago after going 60-63 over four seasons. The Gamecocks finished last in the Southeastern Conference last year.

Martin is leaving Kansas State, which he led to the NCAA tournament four of the last five seasons. The Wildcats reached the regional finals in 2010. His overall record as a head coach is 117-54 and he is 6-4 in the NCAA tourney.

The Gamecocks have been to the NCAA tournament just once since 1998. They finished this season 10-21 and 2-14 in the SEC.

Martin is the son of Cuban immigrants who coached high school basketball in Miami for 15 years and was an assistant at Northeastern for four seasons before Bob Huggins brought him on to his staff at Cincinnati. Martin credits Huggins with jump starting his career, saying the current coach at West Virginia helped him get into college coaching.

South Carolina will be a rebuilding job.

The team's record got progressively worse during Horn's four years. Their top player, point guard and two-sport high school star Bruce Ellington, originally promised to only play basketball next season, but after Horn was fired, he started hanging around the football field during spring practice.

Several other players could consider transfers as Martin's intense coaching style is a stark contrast from Horn's more laid back approach.

Martin has not publically commented about the South Carolina job or why he might want to leave Kansas State at this time. He was an in-studio analyst for CBS during its weekend NCAA tournament coverage and didn't answer directly when asked about coaching the Gamecocks.

"The stuff that gets out these days, I look at it as a compliment that we're doing our job the right way at Kansas State that these sorts of things get out," Martin said.

A potential salary for Martin has not been disclosed. He made around $1.1 million at Kansas State, and South Carolina athletic director Eric Hyman said when he fired Horn that the Gamecocks were willing to pay their next coach a competitive salary. The school also will owe Horn a $2.4 million buyout.

Horn was hired from Western Kentucky after leading the Hilltoppers to the round of 16 in 2008. His first team at South Carolina went 21-10 and 10-6 in the SEC, winning the Eastern Division. But it wasn't enough to get the team's first NCAA tournament bid since 2004, and his teams won fewer games each season.

The Gamecocks have lost 24 of their last 27 SEC games. Horn finished his career at South Carolina 23-45 in league games and 60-63 overall with thee losing seasons in a row.

Comments

Joel Hood 7 years, 7 months ago

If he leaves, I bet the kitties hire Steve Henson. You read it here first.

Rolland Remmert 7 years, 7 months ago

Look for Brad Underwood to surface quickly as the favorite. He's there and could save some if not all of the incoming recruits.

SaltLakeHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Bill Self to KSU. You heard it here first and last.

Rolland Remmert 7 years, 7 months ago

Sure they wouldn't go after Manning......?

7 years, 7 months ago

This sucks for the Big 12 if it's true. Rumor has it he doesn't get along with the KSU AD - - sounds familiar.

gchawk 7 years, 7 months ago

I read that too. Do you think that West Virginia joining the Big XII had any bearing on his decision?

7 years, 7 months ago

I doubt West Virginia joining the Big 12 had any influence. From some of what I have read, Martin was upset about Samuels being suspended right before the Syracuse game, and he thought the school should not have done it. He allegedly blames the AD, who he apparently does not get along with. At South Carolina, he will be closer to home (Miami), where he will have an easier selling job when recruiting Florida. He will probably double his pay too. Still, I hate to see him go for the Big 12’s sake.

gchawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Thanks. I heard that about the dissemination between he and the AD as well. I hope the change works out for him, but I, too, hate to see him go.

Pitthawk34 7 years, 7 months ago

It is a long range plan...Frank will take over at west virginia once Huggins leaves. Remember huggins has had health problems so he has about 6 to 7 years left in him. Easier to go to West Virginia from S Carolina than from Kansas State who would be in the same conference. Franks style and West Virgina fans are one in the same. Match made in heaven.

namder 7 years, 7 months ago

Frank Haith just can't run far enough to get away from Frank Martin!!!!!!

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 7 months ago

Yep, SC just secured at least two victories a year. LOL

Phoghorn 7 years, 7 months ago

Now that Lon Kruger is at OU, perhaps KSU should hire Billy Tubbs.

jay381 7 years, 7 months ago

I have to admit that did make me laugh. I think Billy is happy back in OKC and with Pat taking care of the grandkids. He would create excitement. I met Billy, Pat and Tommy numerous times while living in OKC. Off camera and out of the bright lights he really is a great guy and absolutely committed to his wife and family.

Phoghorn 7 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, I have heard that he is actually quite a class act off the court. We may never forget his antics in AFH in the mid 80s, but that just fueled our fire against him in 88.

KGphoto 7 years, 7 months ago

Joe Dooley is on the list. Please God no! Give 'em Gregg Marshall instead.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 7 months ago

So the gamecocks now have a coach that is a, eh-hem, during the game.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 7 months ago

Octagon of zoomed out of town the first chance he got!

Octagon to cocktagon!

cobweb 7 years, 7 months ago

Let's see, Manhattan, KS or Hilton Head ?...... Tough one.

hawkdocNY 7 years, 7 months ago

I lived in Columbia, SC for several years and it is more of an armpit than anything else. A far, far cry from Hilton Head. In fact it bears a strange resemblance to Columbia, MO. I always think of them together.

Matt Bowers 7 years, 7 months ago

Columbia, SC is an armpit of a town, but there is no denying that the campus and its facilities are top notch.

Rock Chalk

Freedman Moor 7 years, 7 months ago

K-State deserves better than this. They took a chance on Martin when they could have gone for a bigger name and this is what they get. As a Kansan, I am offended. Good riddance!

Mike Mainzer 7 years, 7 months ago

The KSU AD overreacted and could have handled the situation differently while keeping KSU and Jamar's interests in mind. The allegations came down on either Friday or Saturday by someone who saw Jamar receive a wire transfer at a convenience store. The AD could have waited til after the Syracuse game in order to take actions. We're all kidding ourselves if we think every program - yes, even KU - doesn't spend a little part of each year in the grey area when it comes to NCAA rules. I applaud KSU for trying to run a clean athletic department, but its probably not going to end up well. "If you ain't cheatin, you aint tryin! If you're not cheating, your only cheating yourself." I'm sure that even the canonized saint of NCAABB, Coach K, has some indiscretions he'd rather not disclose. Frank leaving is a loss for a basketball program that had a rich tradition and is a blow for a conference that is doing its best to maintain its level of competitiveness before its inevitable demise in 3-5 years.

Dyrk Dugan 7 years, 7 months ago

Frank Martin was a loose cannon anyway...proabably never should have been offered the job in the first place. gets one Mickey D recruit, and he leaves the program....Jacob Pullen carried the whole thing, IMO. had all those Miami reports...and he even blurts it out on TV yesterday about paying players...i mean, c'mon....he was a bull in a china shop.

He eked out one more year, and now he's gone.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Frank, in the look who's in the news again, storming around the sideline way....but I never did think he was going to hang his hat in Manhattan too long.

K-State, like us in this regard, needs to find someone who cares deeply about the culture and tradition of the program...and then will recruit and lead as such.

I would think Henson would be on the list....or beg forgiveness and get Dana Altman back.

Hank Cross 7 years, 7 months ago

Does KU get a say in the hire b/c it essentially owns the Hawktogon aka AFH West?

Mat Davis 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm betting they hire Tim Jankovich. He's done a nice job at Illinois State, and is a K-State grad with ties to Coach Self. Still not sure why Martin would leave KSU though. South Carolina is not an upgrade, and is closer to moving backwards career wise.

Kye Clark 7 years, 7 months ago

Well...thanks for beating Mizery twice this year Frank.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 7 months ago

Frank Martin has just been waiting for the day to get out of Manhattan...to tell you the truth...can't blame him.

Second he really is cashing in on a mediocre record. He's been decent, but not great at KSU. I guess some have referred to it as the other Kansas school. Of course most would argue he was the third best team in the state of Kansas this year.

I'm sure he needs to get a pay increase to pay for all of those High School students that he announced on national TV during the CBS Broadcast that he pays them. If that isn't an open invitation for an investigation; personally, I don't know what else would be.

I guess he'll fit in nicely with the SEC coaching, let's see, we have Haith (who if he is coaching next year, I would be surprised), Martin (who openly admits to paying High School Players), and Calipari (I don't need to expand on that one). I guess we shipped those coaches out just in time.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 7 months ago

Oh one other note. On the CBS Broadcast yesterday. He was asked about the SC job and he said that according to reports he was supposed to be in a news conference taking the SC job instead of doing the breakdown. He said it is amazing what these news stories with twitter and other social medias can do. He re-iterated that he was the HC of KSU. 24 hours later he is headed east. He probably was still working out his buyout and couldn't announce leaving until it was done.

I've said this before, I think he got a lot more credit than he deserved.

I think KSU better make a great hire or they could be down in the doghouse for a longtime.

Armen Kurdian 7 years, 7 months ago

Frankenstein was a great recruiter and a good coach. Bill Self is a fantastic recruiter and a great coach. How many coaches has KSU had since 1988? We've had two, they've had Lon Kruger, Dana Altman, Asbury, Woolridge, Huggins, Martin, and now #7 about to roll around.

milehighhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

This sets their program back 5+ years, unless they have a home run hire.

Heard some discussion of Bruce Pearl on 810 today. That is one of the few options that makes sense for both parties...but maybe that's just wishful thinking. With Mizzou gone, I would like to have at least one opponent within 300 miles who can at least offer the potential of being a rival.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 7 months ago

Bruce is prohibited from coaching in the NCAA for 3 years

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 7 months ago

At least 6 years back. He has been head coach for 5 and Higgins was there for 1, so before that timefram ; )

They need a homerun and I'm not sure who they can get.

milehighhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

He's not prohibited from coaching - the school only has to demonstrate "just cause" for hiring him.

Given that the AD pre-emptively suspended a player in the biggest game of the season over a $200 wire coupled with the track record of enforcement K-State has with infractions, I think the university could rightly claim it has the ability to snuff out any potential misconduct.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 7 months ago

A show-cause penalty is a nice way of saying a coach is 'banned' from the collegiate ranks for the duration of the period. If a school wants to hire the head coach in question, it must stand before the NCAA Committee on Infractions -- the same committee that hands down the punishments -- and explain why it's a good idea for the coach to return to collegiate ranks. It just doesn't happen. Nobody asks the COI for permission to hire a coach who's been hit with allegations severe enough to warrant a show-cause penalty.

For Pearl, like any other head coach who receives the dreaded show-cause label, the penalty also effectively ends his collegiate coaching career. Once the NCAA deems a coach worthy of its highest individual punishment, no matter the duration the show-cause is in affect, the black mark doesn't go away.

In fact, of all the NCAA men's basketball head and assistant coaches to be given a show-cause penalty, only one has returned to the college coaching ranks: Todd Bozeman at Morgan State from Cal. Where is Morgan State?

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 7 months ago

Hate to see Frank leave. Much respect for him. Has always been classy with respect to KU.

captku 7 years, 7 months ago

+1. I thought he was doing a good job there (as good as any) for the short time he worked there, and I liked watching him on the sidelines - good tv. Didn't know about the AD rub.

oldrocker 7 years, 7 months ago

I agree...hate to see him go. Frank is a real character...I love watching him on the sidelines. I got to see him in person last summer (I got suckered into playing in a Cat-backers golf tourney by a KSU friend). He is a funny and charismatic guy.

Cody Stumma 7 years, 7 months ago

So, from what I understand it is... if Frank Martin leaves, and the AD isn't fired.

Every booster is going to pull every cent of donation money from the University.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 7 months ago

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 7 months ago

One of your better posts, but I'm guessing someone will suggest removal.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 7 months ago

Too bad. That one was awesome. I give an edited version for those of you that missed it.

Martin prefers GAMEcocks.

FarSideHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Jerod Haase takes the headcoaching job at UAB!

Andy Godwin 7 years, 7 months ago

That would be a big loss for KSU and the conference. I grew over the last few years to respect Frank Martin and the way he ran his program. The admiration he showed to Bill Self was very impressive. I would be sorry to see him go. He rejuvenated KSU and at this time and state of the Big XII, KU needs a strong instate rival.

packywacky88 7 years, 7 months ago

I see this as a good fit for Frank. With his anger issues, he should have plenty of chickens around to strangle.

jayhawkintexas 7 years, 7 months ago

Top ten reasons why Frank Martin left K-State: 10. Didn't like the color purple 9. Got tired of hearing the Rock Chalk Chant--in Manhattan 8. No beaches close to Manhattan 7. Couldn't bear to see Frank Haith leave for another conference 6. Figured out that the Octagon of Doom was really the Octagon of Dud 5. Wanted less snow and more sunshine 4. Decided that a pickup with a gun rack in the back window was better than a tractor 3. Margaritas under palm trees sound better than beer on a haystack 2. Likes grits but hates corn 1. K-State is in Manhattan--'nuff said.

Good luck Frank and thanks for being a worthy opponent.

nb4ku 7 years, 7 months ago

He was my favorite KSU coach of all time(though that's not really saying much). He will be missed by this Jayhawk fan.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 7 months ago

He got tired of hearing "wait for football season" from the fans, only to be disappointed when it came. So he went to a real football school.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 7 months ago

I admit that I did not think much of HC Martin when he was hired. However, after learning more about him and what he did with the program, I have acquired a lot of respect for him. Outside the basketball court, he is so different than the raving person most people see, He is a truly decent and classy individual that cares for his player even more outside the court that he does inside the court. I see him as one of the better coaches in the conference and I hope that KSU finds someone that can maintain what HC Martin started. I for one am sorry to see him leave the conference.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 7 months ago

Beating up on little brother/sister in their time of despair...not cool.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 7 months ago

No, no, no.

KSU is our intrastate "rival." and little brother/sister.

MU is the "enemy."

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 7 months ago

You are entitled to your hatred; we just agree to disagree. For the most part, KSU fans that I know do not hate KU and actually aspire to be like KU, at least in BBall; they do tend to go overboard with the Decade of Dominance thing though. I have also know a few KSU fans that are a-holes, but then I know some KU fans that are not far from that definition either. The only truly disgusting and vile fans are MU fans in general and more specifically the Antlers; nobody, and I mean nobody comes even close. You can keep on hating, I just cannot bring myself to hate fellow Kansans. Slavers? Sure; Kansans? Nope.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 7 months ago

If you must know, my board name originated on the KC Star Sports board where it started as JayHawkFan. if you are familiar with their old board, KU posters got banned from the board frequently for alleged infractions and most came back with name similar to the original, so other posters knew they were back. It was basically a running joke.

Hence JayHawkFan became JayHawkFan1, JayHawkFanOne, JayHawkFan2, JayHawkFanTwo and finally JayHawkFanToo. Finally the old board got replaced with a new one and most posters left as the new board software really sucked. So yes, I root for other teams (who doesn't) but KU is and will always be Number One.

BTW, I thought hating MU was the "requirement" to be a KU fan; I guess I missed the memo on the KSU hate part. I will guess that most KU fans missed that memo as well.

And you thought jumping to conclusions was form of exercise, You could have just agreed to disagree, as most reasonable fams do...don't you feel a little foolish now?

Kye Clark 7 years, 7 months ago

Gotta love ralster bringing out the heavy lumber to humiliate the purple pansies. I'll never hate them as much as Mizery, and Faylor has taken up their mantle of most despised team in-conference, but it's nice to know we'll always have KSUck to kick around for an easy laugh :)

danmoore 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm guilty of occasionally rooting for K-State just as I have with other conference teams. Never with mizwho though. I know they are our rival but I just don't despise them. Maybe it’s a western Kansas thing but starting next year I will stop since they will become our chief rival by default.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 7 months ago

Gamecocktagon of doom

(for those of you that are mature enough subtract the first 4 letters)

ParisHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Wow, a lot of discussion about who we're allowed / obliged to "hate".

Martin sent a subtle message no one seems to have picked up on:

• Samuels' AAU "benefactor" said "the guy needs to eat".
  • Martin says "I sent money so the guys could go out on a date".

He is implying that the AAU guy is exaggerating, and that Martin does feed his players. I believe Martin.

dynamitehawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. I was watching the game Sunday with my wife and noticing how nice Kendall Marshal's suit was... Then it occurred to me that I did not have a suit until I graduated from college. Guess who bought me that suit? Dad.

I don't know about Jamar's situation, but from the outside looking in, I'm with Frank. Really raw for this AD at KSU to rip a kid out of eligibility on his last game of his career for something as meaningless as $200. Willing to bet that the AD makes buckets of cash too. Horrible situation.

master16 7 years, 7 months ago

tough blow to the big 12. other schools outside of KU & Texas have to step up their game, they are all basically stepping stones for bigger schools in other conferences. another loss for us.

Bee Bee 7 years, 7 months ago

I ve been a KU fan for over 40 years. I m also a big fan of Frank Martin. He gets a lot out of his players and demands DISCIPLINE. KSU will fade back into obscurity without him I have a feeling. (I wish KU could hire Coach Martin as the MOTIVATIONAL COACH for the KU football team! They could USE IT!)

Good luck Frank

Spencer Goff 7 years, 7 months ago

Just when I thought it was a "tough game" in Manhattan...

Third winningest coach in Kansas State history, accomplished in half a decade. And yet some of their fanbase didn't like him.

Good luck Frank.

bjejayhawk69 7 years, 7 months ago

Sorry to see Martin go. Thought is was mistake when KSU promoted him but he proved people wrong. He was entertaining to watch at another school and helped make the KU KSU thing more interesting. Sideline antics are obviously too much but that is what makes him fun to watch. Those antics wore on players and Currie. Currie is way too button up and the clash with Martin is the reason behind him leaving for currently a lesser job.

Next coach - It won't be anybody controversial with Currie - he is too conservative. I would say either Jankovich or Underwood. I hear there is a large grass roots effort from heavy boosters for Underwood. I hear Currie is disliked even by Synder - he wants to run a super clean program so he can move on to something bigger. Martin didn't fit that mold.

Spradling was gone for sure if Martin stayed as well.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 7 months ago

I would be very upset if my AD makes a decision that affects the game. The coach should have had a say in that type of decision.

Also, it is likely that Martin had incentive clauses in his contract that would have made him money if KSU won the game. With Samuels in the game, KSU had a good chance of winning as Syracuse was ripe for an upset,

I heard the rumor about Spradling. Apparently he wants to play PG but Martin gave the job to Angel Rodriguez. I personally don't think Spradling would make a good PG (too slow), and he is not good enough to "demand" concessions. like a star player could.

Steve Brown 7 years, 7 months ago

On the KState news conference the AD said three times he wished that the $200.evidence had remained hidden and not come to light. Once it came to light he had to act.

He wished the evidence was thrown away and not brought to the compliance office.

really? that is your response that in the future you want NCAA violations covered up, wouldn't the proper response be we hope that we have no violations but if we do, we want them brought to light so we can stop, repair and set a new course to stay on track.

Steve Brown 7 years, 7 months ago

the reciept that was misteriously found at the Hyvee doesn't make sense, the more likely story is someone that knew about the cash, brought it to AD office with a bribe or threat, pay me or I'll expose you...

mnhawk13 7 years, 7 months ago

Kudos to Frank, while I hate KSU I think we as true basketball fans have to applaud the success he's had in Manhattan which is essentially KU's little brother. I love the intensity and the desire. Best of luck, be a real fan and applaud the results and don't rain on the success because we hate the school.

duanep5ku 7 years, 7 months ago

As a KU fan I might not be too crazy about the KSU fan base sometimes but I really think you were a great person to have in the conference. So I will miss you and good luck.