Saturday, March 24, 2012

Heels’ Jerod Haase seeks ‘opportunity’

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 60-57 victory over N.C. State in the Sweet 16 on March 23, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU players Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey

KU players Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 60-57 victory over N.C. State on March 23, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

N.C. State's Mark Gottfried, C.J. Leslie and Scott Wood

N.C. State's Mark Gottfried, C.J. Leslie and Scott Wood talk to reporters following their 60-57 loss to Kansas on March 24, 2012.

Download podcast

KU vs. N.C. State

Box score

— Former Kansas University guard/current North Carolina assistant basketball coach Jerod Haase, who turns 38 on April 1, does indeed want to be a head coach some day.

He has a stellar assistant coaching résumé, having earned two national title rings on Roy Williams’ staff at North Carolina, with a spot in the Elite Eight on tap Sunday.

“When the opportunity is right,” said Haase, who was assigned to scout the KU-North Carolina State game Friday following his own team’s 73-65 overtime victory over Ohio.

“That’s one of the biggest things. I don’t need to run out and get a head-coaching job just because I might be able to get one. Getting in the right situation is paramount.

photo

North Carolina assistant coach Jerod Haase watches over practice at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis.

“I’d love to be a head coach. That’s the next step in the process. I’m definitely thinking about being a head coach some day.”

Haase and fellow UNC assistant/former KU guard C.B. McGrath trade off coaching Carolina’s junior varsity every other year.

“Two years ago we were 16-2, this year 7-7. It’s a little bit like high school. There’s only so much recruiting you can do,” Haase said with a smile. “Basically, it’s the hand you are dealt (talent-wise).”

McGrath, a Topeka native who also wants to run his own program someday, joked: “Two years ago we were 13-1. Last year we were under .500. I started the downward trend.”

Asked about a possible match-up against Kansas on Sunday, McGrath said prior to knowing the outcome of KU-N.C. State: “It’d be a tough game. They are playing really well. I don’t know if Kendall (Marshall, fractured hand) can play. He’s had a heck of a year. He’s really good.”

Faces in the crowd: Former KU guard Ryan Robertson, regional sales director for Goldman Sachs in St. Louis, attended, as did his brother, Troy, KU’s official NCAA host for the Midwest Regional. Also on hand were former KU coach Larry Brown; former KU assistant Tim Jankovich, head coach at Illinois State; former KU guard Jeremy Case, assistant coach at SE Missouri State; former KU guard Terry Nooner, assistant women’s coach at Southern Illinois; KU Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little and her husband, Shade; former KU guard Stephen Vinson; former KU guard T.J. Whatley; former KU guard Sherron Collins; and ex-KU forward Jeff Graves.

Graves, by the way, played for Erie of the NBA Developmental League, but left the squad in December because of an ankle sprain. He said he’d be back in Lawrence this summer completing work on his college degree.

Naismith dies at 73: Ian Naismith, the grandson of the inventor of basketball, Dr. James Naismith, died Tuesday at the age of 73.

Naismith, who was living in North Carolina, died of a heart attack while a passenger on a train to New York. He was en route from western Massachusetts.

He served as a trustee of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, which bears his grandfather’s name.

“The train pulled into New York’s Penn Station, and people thought he was asleep,” Joan Brooslin, the vice-president of the Naismith International Basketball Foundation (NIBF), told masslive.com. “He died doing what he loved best — traveling.”

Parker likes Hudy’s program: Tony Parker, a 6-foot-9, 250-pound senior center from Miller Grove High in Lithonia, Ga., who has a final list of KU, Duke, Memphis, Ohio State and UCLA, told ESPN.com he likes the training program at KU.

“I’ve got to go somewhere that has a crazy trainer like K.P.,” Parker said of his trainer, Kevin Peoples. “That’s one of the things I love about Kansas. I love (KU trainer Andrea) Hudy.”

“She’s a monster,” Parker added. “She’ll get you where you need to be. Kansas has a lot of things I like.”

More on Robinson turning pro: CNN recently interviewed Thomas Robinson, who indicated his desire to earn a paycheck in the NBA to take care of his sister, Jayla, who lives with her dad in Washington, D.C.

“For me to feel comfortable the best way to do that was to be able to reach my lifetime dream and doing that will be able to take care of her,” Robinson told CNN. He told ESPN that soon, after he signs an NBA contract, he’s going to petition for custody of his sister. Thomas and Jayla’s mom, Lisa, died Robinson’s sophomore season — in January of 2011 — at the age of 43.

Comments

Scott MacWilliams 2 years, 9 months ago

Okay, this story was written before tonights game, another close win by the Hawks!!!
Nice to hear about former Jayhawks, but Jerod and CB at UNC? ? I don't know about that so much, especially right now. I'm just so proud of this team, more than any of them in many years. Let's review the season, shall we?

Start out with all but one starter graduating or going pro early, then our freshman class highjacked over paperwork, and then it looks like we might end up third in the Big 12. Okay, I can deal with that.
But wait, there were some other dudes hanging around AFH that took exception to the thought of letting that Big 12 trophy wander off somewhere else after 7 years in a row. Along the way, they beat G-town, play Dook and UK to close losses, end up winning the Big 12 by 2 (!) games, capped off with one of the greatest wins over Mizery I've ever seen. Now they have scratched and clawed their way into a rematch with Roy and UNC for a chance to Dance once more in the Final Four!!! If Bill Self doesn't get national COY for this, there is no justice!

Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, Go KU ! ! ! ! ! ! !

actorman 2 years, 9 months ago

Nice post, GB.

A couple of quibbles:

1. I wouldn't exactly call the KU game against UK a "close loss." As I recall, UK pretty much dominated that game.

2. Coach of the year -- as with other awards -- is based on the regular season. KU's success in the tournament has no impact on it whatsoever. That being said, I think Self deserves it based on the regular season anyway.

Steve Reigle 2 years, 9 months ago

Many Jayhawks now work for other teams, whether as head coach, assistant, or some other capacity. That doesn't make them any less a Jayhawk. And it's the same for every team out there. I wish both C.B. and Jerod the best in their careers.

dylans 2 years, 9 months ago

Why is Graves listed as An ex hawk? The rest are labeled former hawks. Heck he is even trying to get back on campus to finish his degree making him a current hawk, but former player.

Brett Gaul 2 years, 9 months ago

I was wondering the same thing. Graves was one of my favorite KU players. He doesn't get the credit he deserves.

John Randall 2 years, 9 months ago

Writer trying to keep from repeating the same phrase – not thinking he'd be singling one Jayhawk out from others. BTW, none of them are either 'former' or 'ex-'. Once a Jayhawk . . . better to cite the years they played.

BrockIII 2 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Terry Nooner in attendence. He absolutely torched my intramural team from the 3-point line about 10 years ago. We could really use some outside shooting magic in the tourney. Sheesh.

Here is a link to the ESPN article about Tony Parker where he mentions his love for KU. A lot of positive things in there about KU and also some comical comments about Duke's Wojo-led 'big man program.'

actorman 2 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for the link, Brock. Parker sounds like he's not just a great player but an incredibly likeable guy -- in other words he would be a perfect addition to the Jayhawk family. It's interesting that he's so concerned about Duke's inability to cultivate big men, given that KU has Danny. He didn't mention Danny, but you know he has to be weighing that factor as well as the great training that Hudy provides. It's hard to imagine that any of his other contenders can come remotely close to KU in the combination of training and developing of big men. Throw in the Allen crowd, and why would he NOT pick KU?

jhox 2 years, 9 months ago

Parker is a hoss. The videos I've seen of him all tell me the same thing...this is a Bill Self big man if I've ever seen one. There is really only one "right" choice for him, and that's Kansas. I've been told he also has a lot of family in the Kansas City area, so he would have a lot of support ties to this area. Let's all hope Tony makes the pick that's right for him, and doesn't make a mistake.

We are going to be very good inside next year, with or without him. I remain concerned about our point guard situation, and about our lack of a consistent 3 point shooter. I've really not seen much of McLemore, but have been told by a close friend who has seen him a number of times in AAU ball that 3 point shooting is really not his game. I hope we don't have to wait until Frankamp's arrival before we have a consistent outside shooter. Let's hope Bill has some late guard options up his sleeve, that we're not aware of. I have to admit, I'm not nearly as concerned about Johnson's ability to play the point as I was a few weeks ago. He's shown more of a willingness to get into the paint of late, but at the same time, the point is not his natural position.

FarSideHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

I maybe in minority, but I think EJ, BMac, and Thaarpe is a pretty decent guard rotation. Thaarpe is a natural playmaker, and will get over his freshmen mistakes that he makes this season.
Regardless of who else we get or don't get, I think we'll have a pretty good year again.

BrockIII 2 years, 9 months ago

Jhox, KU is going to be in a great position to win a championship in 2013-14 and on with their next couple of recruiting classes. There will be serious struggles next year and outside shooting may be rough outside of Johnson, White and maybe Adams (if he qualifies).

However, this is going to be a killer outside shooting team down the road - White, Greene and Frankamp are known to be dynamos. Self is putting together a monster team. Add a game-changing big man and this team will be a true killer.

Alohahawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for linking this again. I posted my thoughts when it was originally linked under the "Pack Mentality" article. To reiterate: I think Parker was super impressed by the AFH crowd during the KU win over MU. That, and by Hudy's body conditioning, and KU's post development program (under Danny Manning).

Parker admires Coach K, but doesn't trust their "big man" program (Although his family seems to prefer Duke, because they're closer to home and have a good education program.)

Ohio State is a possibilty, but has slipped a bit from where Parker ranked them originally.

Right now, I believe it's a tossup between KU and UCLA. I hope Parker takes a close look at Smith, UCLA's center, who hasn't progressed since arriving two years ago. In a recent article on Zagsblog.com UCLA's top recruit, Anderson, says he believes Muhammad will select UCLA, and that would draw Parker. Question is, how condusive, or detrimental, would UCLA's party atmosphere be to Parker's future? IMHO, that was a major reason for UCLA's downward spiral. Too much partying.

Finally, it might all depend on how influential Parker's immediate family is in the final decision. That, and a wild card - Parker has a girl friend. Will she follow him, or how much will she be missed if she isn't close by? (Remember the so-called reason Downs left a few years ago, because he missed his girl.)

Uwe_Blab 2 years, 9 months ago

Wow, fantastic article. Very well written. Thanks for posting. Any other good articles like this on recruits?

Unfortunately I would tend to agree with one of the points made in the article that KU will have an abudance of bigs for 2012-2013. I think if Parker chooses KU we'll be seeing somebody transfer after next year.

BrockIII 2 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Blab - here is a quick read about our commit Rio Adams. He gets rave reviews. I've also posted video links - he has a seriously strong build and can really attack.

We need this guy to qualify - he could be a real game changer next year, possibly pick up some of the PG duties when EJ needs a breather or just to give another look.

NorthStarHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

With all the "former" Jayhawks in attendance, why is Jeff Graves the only "ex" Jayhawk? Was his Jayhawk "citizenship" taken away or did he surrender it voluntarily? Just curious......

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 9 months ago

I totally agree with you. Hey KUSports, Why the "ex" moniker?

Brandon Snook 2 years, 9 months ago

I was thinking the same thing. Does T.J. Whatley still rock his amazing 'stache?

mojayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Tony Parker is a stud, and would be a great mutual fit. He can step in and help us immediately. That's our side of the story. On HIS side, with Hudy and Manning training and coaching him, the sky's the limit. I look forward to seeing him in Crimson and Blue!

chaggs 2 years, 9 months ago

We had a Nooner and Whatley sighting! Two of my all-time favorite "fan favorites"!

Jeff Schartz 2 years, 9 months ago

Jerrod needs to get with the "other" Jerod from Subway!

LittleRockJayhawker 2 years, 9 months ago

I doubt Jerrod dives on the floor like he once did! I remember that kid spent half his time on the floor going after loose balls.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 9 months ago

We all understand TRob's desire to provide for his sister. However, no court is going to give him custody of her as he will be traveling constantly and her own biological father (as of now) has custody and is providing for her. It all sounds good on paper but he is not mature and disciplined enough to give her what is best for her.

RJ King 2 years, 9 months ago

There is more than one type of custody. Physical custody means that an adult has the right to have the child live with him. If the child lives primarily with one adult and has visitation with another, usually the adult with whom the child primarily lives will have sole physical custody, with visitation to the other.

Legal custody means having the right and the obligation to make decisions about a child's upbringing. Legal custody awards decisions about schooling, religion, and medical care, for example. In many states, courts regularly award joint legal custody, where decision making is shared.

Alohahawk 2 years, 9 months ago

I had thought JV squads were a thing of the past. When I attended KU, back in '70 to '75, KU had a JV. They played against some of the JUCO teams, Div. II, NAIA, ETC. (It's been a while so I really can't remember a lot of the details.) I do remember arriving early at AFH and watching them play games, prior to the varsity games. Way back when, freshmen weren't allowed to play varsity ball. I can't remember what year that rule change was instituted by the NCAA. The changeover was necessary because of the 'one and done' change created by the NBA. Not even sure if BMac or Traylor would be allowed to play JV ball, or if red-shirts could play?

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 9 months ago

Sherron must have been screaming watching the guard (in)efficiency of this game.

DXJhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Good to see in 2012, the Whatley Watch is still going strong.

Mel Clare 2 years, 9 months ago

Haase has taken the Head basketball coaching position at UAB according to Yahoo Sports tonight. Just read it at 8:30 this evening. Good luck Jarrod!!!!