Kansas defeats N.C. State, 60-57

• 9:17 p.m., March 23, 2012
  • Edward Jones Dome, St. Louis, MO

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Elite forces: KU dispatches ’Pack; UNC next

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson gets some contact from North Carolina State forwards DeShaun Painter (0) and Richard Howell during the first half on Friday, March 23, 2012 at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 60-57 victory over N.C. State in the Sweet 16 on March 23, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU players Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey

KU players Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 60-57 victory over N.C. State on March 23, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

N.C. State's Mark Gottfried, C.J. Leslie and Scott Wood

N.C. State's Mark Gottfried, C.J. Leslie and Scott Wood talk to reporters following their 60-57 loss to Kansas on March 24, 2012.

Download podcast

KU vs. N.C. State

Box score

— Kansas University’s basketball team smoked one of the schools on Tobacco Road — North Carolina State — on Friday night in the NCAA Tournament’s Sweet 16.

The Jayhawks’ 60-57 victory over the Wolfpack before 23,964 fans at Edward Jones Dome — made possible in large part by the fearless shot-blocking prowess of junior center Jeff Withey — now sets up an Elite Eight clash on Sunday against a more-renowned team from the Triangle.

That’d be North Carolina, which beat Ohio, 73-65, in Friday’s other Midwest Regional semifinal.

Tipoff for the Elite Eight game between the Nos. 1 (UNC) and 2 (KU) seeds in the regional is 4:05 p.m.

“It feels great to advance and play a great team like North Carolina,” said 7-footer Withey, who smiled widely when told his 10 blocks tied Cole Aldrich for most in a game in KU history (10, vs. Dayton, in 2009 NCAA Tournament). Also, the 10 rejections gave him a KU single-season record 126 blocks, one more than Aldrich.

His seven first-half blocks were most by a player in a half in KU history.

“I wish it’d have been a triple-double,” added Withey, who scored eight points with five rebounds in 33 minutes, “but 10 blocks feels great. Coach (Bill Self) has been on me to be more aggressive.

“I have bragging rights on Cole now. It’s what I do, protect the rim. If somebody gets beat, I pride myself on being there.”

Withey’s biggest block came with 22 seconds left and KU leading 58-57. He skied high to reject C.J. Leslie, who’d come up with a rebound of an errant Scott Wood three.

“Things got scrambled, they came up with a rebound. Fortunately, I got my hand on the ball,” Withey said.

The game (KU looked like it might be able to light a victory cigar in leading by eight with 3:51 left) was not over after the Withey block — not by a long shot.

Tyshawn Taylor (six points, 2-of-14 shooting) missed the front end of a 1-and-1 at :16.1, KU still up by one. KU retained possession, however, and on the inbounds play, Taylor hit Elijah Johnson with a perfect pass as Johnson charged up the middle and laid it in at :13, giving KU a 60-57 lead.

“Like I’ve said, he’s my twin. I knew what I needed to do,” Johnson said of making eye contact with his backcourt buddy and converting the easy layup.

“They (Wolfpack) knew we didn’t have any timeouts left. Elijah bailed me out again,” acknowledged Taylor, who barely avoided a five-second inbounds violation.

Wood missed a potential game-tying three at :05, the Wolfpack fouling Thomas Robinson (18 points, 15 rebounds), who rebounded at 4.3 seconds. Robinson missed the front end of a 1-on-1, giving N.C. State one final chance to tie.

Richard Howell (four points, 2-of-12 shooting) missed badly from three at the buzzer. KU improved to 30-6 on the season. N.C. State fell to 24-13. North Carolina is 32-5.

“We didn’t play great by any stretch,” KU coach Bill Self said, “but we made enough plays to eke out a win. I’m proud of the guys because the last two games (N.C. State, Purdue) we’ve had to figure out a way.”

The Jayhawks didn’t seem bothered after nearly letting this one slip away. All that seemed to matter in the locker room is they live to play UNC on Sunday.

Taylor grinned when asked if he hopes UNC point guard Kendall Marshall is able to play. Marshall did not play against Ohio after suffering a fractured hand in a second-round victory over Creighton.

“For sure. As a competitor, you’ve got to want that. He (Marshall) makes their team better,” Taylor said. “He’s got to play. It wouldn’t be right if he didn’t.

“C’mon, Kendall,” Taylor added with a smile.

“Coach Williams, like coach Self, is a great coach,” Taylor added of UNC coach Roy Williams, who coached at KU 15 years. “It’ll be a fun game. I’ve probably seen 10 of their games. They’re good.”

As far as more on Friday’s thriller, KU went a horrific 0-for-8 from three and continued a recent trend of bad shooting by making just 13 of 38 shots the first half (37.5 for game, 1-14 from three, 11-20 from line), but trailed by just one, 33-32, at halftime.

Taylor especially was misfiring, hitting one of nine shots for three points.

Withey’s seven blocked shots in the first half helped keep North Carolina State’s shooting percentage at 33.3 (12 of 36, 4-of-9 from three).

KU, which trailed, 8-0, in its second-round win over Purdue, trailed 9-1 and 13-3 (14:51) versus the Wolfpack.

KU did use a dominant 20-4 run to grab a 23-17 lead at 7:04. Robinson had seven points in the run, while Kevin Young had four.

Undaunted, N.C. State immediately cut the six-point deficit to one at 23-22.

Conner Teahan put in a stickback and foul shot, and Johnson cashed a jumper, sandwiched around a Lorenzo Brown three, and KU led, 28-25 at 4:11. Teahan (five points total) scored again to break a 28-28 tie, and Robinson followed with a bucket as KU led by four with 1:11 to play in the half, 32-28. However, Wood hit a three and Leslie a two to conclude the first-half scoring and give the Wolfpack a one-point lead.

Leslie scored 12 points to top Robinson by one point for halftime scoring honors. Leslie finished with 18 for N.C. State.

Comments

ajhk 2 years, 8 months ago

Well enough, anyway. Congrats. Now go after the turdheels like crazed animals.

We gotta be due for a breakout shooting game!

I'm ready for Roy's new boys!

ajhk 2 years, 8 months ago

Nice photo. That game was a little rough. They really ought to call a few of those fouls.

Scott MacWilliams 2 years, 8 months ago

Another Great Win, guys!! Ugly as a bassett in a tutu, but who cares!!

Now we get to check in with Roy and UNC again, but don't expect a runaway like 2008. I'm guessing that this one will be just about as hideous as the last two games, with the same result.... After all, if it works, don't mess with it!!

Rock Chalk, Jayhawks!! Go KU!!

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 8 months ago

Way to get the win guys, didn't look like yourselves at all for a while, but came back around enough to stay alive. Some great hustle by both teams, had KU not fought hard for every board there would be no win to celebrate.

Now play the way we know you can against UNC and cut yourselves down some nets in St. Louis!

calijayhawker 2 years, 8 months ago

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 8 months ago

Well he still made a few plays and worked on the defensive end. He may not have hit a 3 pter but he got one the old fashioned way. Also it's nice to see somebody hit a free throw

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 8 months ago

They are not a great defensive team, KU needs to light UNC up, easy buckets, keep the ball moving, find a good look, finish, repeat. I think we'll be better off giving Hensen a little space and seeing if he is hitting those jumpers. Barnes is probably gonna have a good game, he'll be a tough guard, hopefully we don't foul much though and make him finish shots. Hopefully we can force some turnovers out of them, if Ohio can do it so can KU.

99% chance I'll be screaming at the refs in this one, UNC is going to hack TRob and not get called, they are also going to get some ticky tack stuff called on KU. That's okay, the Jayhawks can still do this and get back to the Final Four!

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

First: Don't forget, the LadyHawks play tomorrow against Tennessee. Rock Chalk LadyHawks, Go K U!!! > And: What an ugly game this was. Suppose I should be glad I had to watch it thru the internet, which has such terrible reception it's like watching through the bottom of a beer bottle. I felt like drinking a six pack after the first five minutes, or so. I hope they broadcast the KU vs N. Carolina game on a regular TV channel on Sunday. Having to watch two of the three games on the internet hasn't exactly been a picnic. Plus, you can't go back and rewatch the entire game again. Just the few highlights. > But I'll take an ugly win over a loss any day, even though it does make the blood pressure rise. > And how about the last 2 minutes or so of game time? I didn't time it, but it must have taken 20+ minutes to play. Each time the screen said 20 second timeout, they broke for at least 3 minutes or so. I guess that was good, since it gave the Jayhawks a lot of rest.

calijayhawker 2 years, 8 months ago

Yes Go Lady hawks! Angel Goodrich is playing some solid ball right now.

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I wish a copy of the above picture of TRob getting mugged could have been sent to all those who voted for POY. Maybe they'd have realized what he's had to contend with all year (compared with the easy route Davis has had), and appreciate what he has accomplished against those odds. Way to keep hanging in the there, TRob. The Naismith Award should still be within reach.

mojayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Sorry to break the news, but A. Smith was announced the winner yesterday.

KULA 2 years, 8 months ago

Great gut-it-out win for the Jayhawks, but this team looks exhausted. Tyshawn couldn't beat anyone around the corner to get to the rim, his free throws and three point shooting has been tanking, like Sherron's in '10. Wouldn't be surprised to see him cramp up again. Everyone getting beat to rebounds, no one can hit from three, TRob's free throw percentage dropping. They play with the heart's of lions, but they haven't looked fresh since before the Baylor game. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Hopefully they'll get a great adrenaline rush for UNC, but it looks like they're running on fumes.

lincase 2 years, 8 months ago

I completely agree. Others will make remarks about kids recovering quickly, but this has been a long, over-achieving season, and it has taken its toll. If Carolina plays at its usual pace, I don't know how these guys will keep up. Whatever happens, this has been a wonderful year.

lee3022 2 years, 8 months ago

Well Carolina only played 8 players yesterday as well. Their guard roster is really depleted. This is winning time. This seems to be where the true winners find that extra reserve and battle through fatigue. After next weekend and Monday they can rest all the way to the parade.

s6u6r6f 2 years, 8 months ago

Let us now rebuild on North Carolina. Rock chalk.

JakeBarnes 2 years, 8 months ago

Usually if you rough up Roy's teams they don't play well. If Marshall is that important I hope he takes care of himself so he can go pro at the season's end. I think playing him is foolhardy. If KU doesn't get its collective eye shooting FTs and from the 3 point line I can't see us beating UNC. If we could make it a half court game and pound the ball inside and have some interior passing the Heels can be beaten.

Jay Krueger 2 years, 8 months ago

They're definitely beatable. But UNC will come ready to play. Roy teams always had a habit of having one awful game during the post season and, if the team survived, putting together a stellar performance in the next game.

UNC likes to run. So we slow the game down, limit possessions, play solid D. Like you said, if we make it a half court game (and hit a shot or two), the game is ours.

Side note: I live in Raleigh. Since the bracket came out, Kansas is the one team no UNC fan has wanted to play. Marshall or no Marshall, they're worried. On the other hand, The Dukies are pulling for us big time. State fans will be too, now their game is over.

cklarock 2 years, 8 months ago

"On the other hand, The Dukies are pulling for us big time. State fans will be too, now their game is over."

That actually warms my heart.

FarSideHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

When we played UNC in 2008, I was sure that we won't try to run against UNC and make it a half court battle, where Roy's teams are usually horrible.

However, as Jaybate constantly points out, HCBS chose to beat them at their own game. In the book, "Beyond the Phog", I think it's Sherron that mentions that all the experts were wondering whether Kansas would be able to keep up with the Tar Heels pace, but Coach Self told the players that UNC should be worried about keeping up with us!

So even though, I think Kansas has a better chance of winning by slowing the game down because we don't have the depth this time, I think HCBS is going to try to run with these guys and try to beat them in transition.

lee3022 2 years, 8 months ago

Likely true. It emphasizes guard play to run and they are depleted by three guards. On the other hand we only have two! It will be fun to watch the coaching match-up.

GabrielMichael 2 years, 8 months ago

You know to win this game we are going to have to beat UNC and the refs...

Steve Gantz 2 years, 8 months ago

Watching Ohio get numerous inside looks against UNC gives me hope for tomorrow.

I'm speaking only as a human on this one, and not a fan. What kind of warped world is this that would even consider Kendall Marshall as possibly playing tomorrow? And if he does, will KU get labeled a dirty team when someone hacks him on his broken arm?

I'm speaking as a fan. Our chances to win increase if he doesn't play so I hope he doesn't, none of this TT talk we want to play the best.

Was the line "Roy Williams, who coached at KU 15 years" really necessary in this article? :)

Was that arch under each basket a drawing of the Gateway Arch?

Did anyone think 30 years was possible this year?

And finally did the man wearing a Missouri sweatshirt directly behind the KU bench last night take more verbal abuse than any other fan in the history of basketball?

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 8 months ago

Ohio did get some plays inside, but they also hit some threes. I also doubt Harrison Barnes has another off night.

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 8 months ago

Barnes has not looked impressive for the majority of the season and I don't see him turning it on suddenly, especially without a point guard to help him (if Marshall doesn't play). He constantly looks timid on the court and rarely plays aggressive demanding the ball or driving to the hoop. Williams could probably use a treadmill next to the court for some mid-practice punishment like what Rush used to have to do.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm expecting Travis to make him look very pedestrian.

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

30 wins. My O My! Wouldn't we all like to have raked in some Vegas dollars, getting nice odds for wagering on that number, back in early November? But how many of us would have put our money on the line, even at 20 to 1 odds? Quite a tribute to this bunch of overachievers, keeping their heads in the game to post one of the few 30 win seasons in the history of Jayhawk hoops. How many of Roy's 15 Jayhawk squads won 30 games?

kufan32 2 years, 8 months ago

first time poster, here! but I just had to reply to your comment about Vegas... I was there in November with my boyfriend and he told me he'd put money down on my Jayhawks to win the Big 12, even though they weren't exactly highly favored. He put his money on them and handed me the ticket. When I looked at it, I realized it said "Men's NATIONAL Championship" I got onto him and said "ARE YOU CRAZY?! I SAID BIG 12, NOT NATIONAL! They're rebuilding this year...they won't win it all!" He said "Oops...I'll go back and put some more down for the Big 12" So we actually got some money from them winning the Big 12 conference. And even though we "accidentally" bet on them winning it all...it'd be a nice story and some good money if they really did! ROCK CHALK

kufan32 2 years, 8 months ago

Wow, ok...well I guess I can delete it then. I won't post anymore...I'll just go back to only reading comments instead of participating. Thanks for the warm KU welcome. Sorry!

JakeBarnes 2 years, 8 months ago

Get tough. All these boards have creeps.

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

kufan32, don't mind the occasional slam on this site. Occasional drunks and discontents rear their muttering snouts. Keep posting, please. I enjoyed your Vegas account. Wish I had the guts or whim back in November to wager heavily on this squad.

lee3022 2 years, 8 months ago

I am not sure what ZIG referred to but I am glad to have you here and posting. Welcome!

JakeBarnes 2 years, 8 months ago

"Sportscenter just said KU hasn't played any lower than a 9 seed in the last 3 tourneys."

What? Purdue was an 11 seed.

Bill Shaw 2 years, 8 months ago

We seem to play most of our games just slightly better than the team we are playing regardless of how good or bad the other team plays.

We're due for a blowout win, but I don't think that is going to happen.

Look forward to another cliffhanger.

Travis Shinkle 2 years, 8 months ago

That was the worst feeling win I've ever watched. I think it's safe to say that KU is playing with house money (let's face it, this IS a rebuilding year for KU) but still, I think this is the worst-played three game stretch of the season--and yet, they keep winning.

I thought the week off would have put them back on course but maybe playing UNC will.

Who knows? At least we're not Missouri sitting at home and watching spring SEC practices...

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

"...the worst feeling win I've ever watched." Katbasher, you certainly nailed that analysis in hall of fame style. But for Withey's exciting blocks and the victory there were 39 minutes of exasperated grumbling in this household. 37.5% shooting from the field, 50% from the stripe, 5 combined assists from our 2 guards, outrebounded, 7% from beyond the arc, only a pair of baskets beyond 5 ft. Yikes! But, we are advancing to the Elite 8, with a chance to play another team whose efforts were just about as exasperating for Tarheel fans last night. Rock Chalk!

Travis Shinkle 2 years, 8 months ago

I think Withey is the key for Sunday. Big game from him and I think KU will be playing next weekend.

As for KU's chances versus UNC overall, it's a crap shoot. Who knows which KU team will show up?

chalked 2 years, 8 months ago

Just saw your final four picks. Were you drunk when you filled those out?

Travis Shinkle 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't remember doing them so probably... :)

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 8 months ago

Let's use this time to practice shooting in a football stadium... It'll be that way in NO also, if we get there. UNC played on a honkin' aircraft carrier this year. I was really hoping for the first ever airball into the ocean, but alas.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 8 months ago

Free throws are going to hurt this team next game.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 8 months ago

If we start off like we have the past two games, we'll get our a$$e$ handed to us...even by a Marshall-less team!

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 8 months ago

Of course you saw how Ohio started off against UNC, and continued to play that way for quite some time I might add, and they could have easily won that game, so maybe UNC is in no position to put anyone away

Robert Murphy 2 years, 8 months ago

These statistics are wrong. Wilt Chamberlain had 8 blocks in one game on the first play, I was there. However, this KU team may be the first team in college basketball history to go to the final four without making a basket.

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

One of the saddest glitches in Jayhawk statistical recording is that blocks were not officially recorded during the Chamberlain years. I presume that there are not films available of all his games to allow even for unofficial review and tabulation with accompanying asterisk.

Robert Murphy 2 years, 8 months ago

Only kidding. After these last two games we can all use a sense of humor, if ugly is ever funny.

jessejayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

They did not keep stats on blocked shots when Wilt played. I was there too.

JakeBarnes 2 years, 8 months ago

I would like to know what the official definition of a block might be. I've counted Withey's blocks in several games, and he always seems to get more blocks than he has credited in the newspaper. The same goes for rebounds by Withey and TRob.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 8 months ago

Blocked shot stats were collected starting in the '85-'86 season. None of Chamberlain blocks are officially recorded.

PurePierce 2 years, 8 months ago

Talking heads say Harrison Barnes is the key to the game. Harrison is in trouble, Heels are in trouble, right Travis?

akgjenkintown 2 years, 8 months ago

KU continues to take the word ugly to new heights. For those that think KU can beat UNC, the Jayhawks better start making outside shots and free throws. The toughness and ability to gut out wins is admirable and a season long trend. The only reason UNC was in jeopardy of losing to Ohio was UNC's number of turnovers and 12 treys from Ohio. I can't remember the last time KU played a complete game from start to finish. TT's free throws are not even close anymore and T-Rob is not finish around the rim with consistency, granted he is taking a pounding. Most of his points are on guts and extra possessions. I commend this team's heart and will to win, but with UNC's length KU must make some outside shots with some degree of regularity and please, please start making free throws.

bradh 2 years, 8 months ago

One of the reasons we haven't been playing complete games is because ever since we lost to MU, if we have any kind of lead with 5 minutes or so to go we use the shot clock. We don't start running anything until there are 10 seconds to go and then have a problem getting a shot off and it seems like it is seldom a good shot. Not only does it make us look bad, it lets the other team back in the game. Typically we have a bad first 5 minutes and if we have a fair lead, the last 5 minutes.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 8 months ago

Oh. Missouricat, come on down and enjoy a steaming plate of crow while it's still warm. Courtesy of Head Chef Bill Self.

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

Haha...I was thinking the same thing! (or at least that he should be eating a steaming pile of something).

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

MissouriCat all smiles today. He wagered on Kansas last night.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 8 months ago

Nice story about Thomas. Sorry for blowing up the message board this morning... I'm trapped in the Charlotte airport (rockin a KU shift, of course.)

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

It's OK. I changed into a shift last night at half time to bring back the luck. Don't be embarrassed to take one for the team.

Jim Stauffer 2 years, 8 months ago

First, these guys have been a joy to root for this year. They have no quit in them. Second, something is wrong with Taylor. He has not played well since before Baylor in the Big 12 Tourney.

I wonder if there is any violation of rules for a player to be injured and the staff not report it? I believe something is wrong with Tyshawn's legs. He cannot get to the basket or get the ball over the rim. His acceleration and elevation are very limited. Without this he has no game.

If we do not figure it out, Carolina will blanket Trob with McAdoo, Henson and Zeller and beat our brains out.

If Tyshawn plays up to his standards and therefore proves he is not injured, we win.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 8 months ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he receive an alley oop during the Purdue game? Didn't he have a couple of spectacular bursts last night including the steal and the alley oop to Withey?
He's slumping for sure, but I don't see that it's with his legs. Maybe he's tired, I'm not sure if he sat at all last night. We only used 7 players.

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Ty played 37 minutes, the most of any Jayhawk. Entire starting crew played 31 minutes or more.

Robert Murphy 2 years, 8 months ago

It looks like Tyshawn Taylor has gone from comatose to brain dead. Comatose worked well in the season when he was throwing up those three pointers and they were going in. He looked kinda unconscious. He turned us all into believers. Now he can't shoot, dribble or make free throws and is back to his old self. It reminds me of the movie Awakenings.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 8 months ago

We don't win that game without him last night so maybe you're the one who is well you know, comatose to........

phogku 2 years, 8 months ago

You are so right, how can a player that might be considered an All-American have the ball taken away from him just pass the 10-second line.......of course this was not the only turnover........

Beate Williams 2 years, 8 months ago

Response to Mojayhawk, Davis was given the award yesterday, he was named a finalist as was TRob, Green and the kid from Creighton. The award will not be given until the FF.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

On the officiating, first, I have no complaints. They let us play, and that benefitted us last night. But how about the blocking call on TRob vs. Leslie? Seems like the ref blew his whistle, then realized Leslie would be out of the game. But as someone mentioned above, watch out for the refs vs. UNC. Be ready. The game could be officiated much differently. I expect it. And unfortunately, we know how that will probably go.

Saw some comments above -- if you watched most of TT's misses, they were long. At least it appeared that way to me. Don't search for an excuse. Just be glad he had this type of game, and we won. Because if we know anything about Mr. Taylor, the next game could be the exact opposite. I would almost expect the UNC game to be a 24 point, 7 assist, 2 turnover game. If I was just watching this game and had never seen TT play before, I would have thought it was the pressure affecting him. I don't know. Let's hope he can get it together.

Tharpe, Tharpe, where were you? 0 minutes? Seemed like multiple opportunities to get the guy in the game without major risk. And who knows, he actually might have been able to hit a 3.

By the way, did anyone see the MU bonehead behind the KU bench, decked out in his black and gold? A perfect reminder that the Tiggggers are surely grumbling how they are so much better than Louisville and Florida, all the while watching KU reach the Elite Eight, the best performance of any MU team .. ever.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 8 months ago

Yeah I saw him, probably received his fair share of verbal abuse last night! I agree also on the officials, we got away with quite a few, as did they. Why do you think the refs will favor UNC? Others do too. You're a thoughtful poster here over the years, so this comment surprises me.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

I do not trust referees and I do not trust the NCAA, in that order. But in an NCAA game, it's more about the NCAA and their bottom-line. The Baylor/Duke robbery in 2010 was a terrific example. I firmly believe that with all of the money at stake, it is not too much of stretch to think that someone/something is likely to be crooked. KU vs. UNC might not be the same. But I think it would be naive to believe otherwise. Do I think think that the NCAA might express a preference to an official on an outcome of a game? Absolutely. I think that is exactly what occurred in Baylor/Duke game.

I also think that games are and can be changed by where a referee might be placing his money, or where his brother in law is placing his money, etc. But I don't think it's unlikely in a NCAA tourney game. I think it's more likely a ref would do it in an Oklahoma/Texas Tech game. But let's assume everyone involved is pristine and honest.

With that, refereeing is wildly inconsistent. We just had a game where the refs let the teams play, calling fouls mainly only on altered shots. Really excellent officiating. The odds say that will change. I also see UNC as more of finesse team and we are more physical. Vs. UNC, all it takes is two fouls vs. TROB in the first half to change this game. Refs will not give the benefit of the doubt we seem to get a favorite sometimes.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 8 months ago

I see what you're saying. It still doesn't explain George Mason, Butler, and VCU taking out some real bluebloods along the way. Last year was what i suppose the NCAA fears. VCU v. Butler. I didn't watch except maybe a small portion. (I didn't watch Kentucky-UConn either because I despise both teams). I wish I could remember Baylor-Duke, but it's Duke, no explanation necessary.
I think the NCAA is happy to see a final four being set up in which the names in it will probably be the winningest program, the 2nd or 3rd winningest, an east coast team who because of Boeheim (despise him too) are elite, or if they lose one of the nations upper echelon teams too in Ohio State, and possibly Florida or Louisville, two teams with nice histories as well.
What I'm saying, it sets up less potential for reffing shenanigans. I hope, as do you, that I'm right.

Hank Cross 2 years, 8 months ago

I saw the MU clown too. No doubt he wanted to be there as KU got upset. As always, the best laid plans of rats and tiggers...

cklarock 2 years, 8 months ago

The moron probably bought his tickets months ago, fully expecting to win the Big 12, and get UNC's #1 seed in the Midwest.

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 8 months ago

HEM,

Agreed on the officiating. It was a rough game and the refs were letting a lot if fouling go, but to their credit, they called that game fair and we def benefited from some no calls. Bet says the game tomorrow is called very differently.

JakeBarnes 2 years, 8 months ago

The refs are atrocious at this time of the year. Sure it is a difficult game to referee but that is what they are hired to do, not stink up the court. It all stems from the idea of "let em' play," or "the ref shouldn't decide the game by refereeing." Bull C**p.

STLJHawk1 2 years, 8 months ago

I was at the game last night and a couple of things I can tell you for sure. Carolina is soft and doesn't play defense. Our interior play is stronger and we are a tougher team overall. This is a classic showdown of Self vs. Roy styles of players and style of play. Carolina looked like they were gliding through the Ohio game and never closed out against the three. When they decided to play defense in a couple of brief stretches Ohio was clearly outmanned. They actually remind me of Baylor in the sense that they have superior athletes but get tired of playing defense in long spurts during games.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 8 months ago

Shots are not falling because legs are dead. I've been saying this for four weeks now.

I have not seen Self send the boys out amped since the game at Mizzou. That leads me to believe they can't get amped at this point.

Dead legs=less than average shooting.

Bucknell, UNI, & VCU later, Coach Self has finally figured out how to win games when the shooting percentages are atrocious...defense and six season losses to expose to the kids that they do not know everything, and what he is telling them works. He could never convince 2011 squad that because they could score 80 a game.

I opined, prior to the season beginning, that if KU wanted to have less than 8 losses on the season, they would have to learn to win more games in the 60's than ever before. And they have. Can't express how proud I am of all of these guys.

If KU tries to run with UNC, they will lose tomorrow. They need to stick with the extreme physical play that has gotten them through the last two games.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

With all due respect to Jaybate, don't believe the amped vs. not amped stuff. That's fiction. Self, as does any great coach, uses different methods of motivation. Only a fool would purposefully not motivate his team in an NCAA tournament. Self isn't a fool.

Don't discount the luck factor in winning the last two games. Lady luck was on our side. Other times, it hasn't been. The best scenario is to remove luck from the equation by playing to our capabilities.

You might be surprised tomorrow. I think we can run with UNC. An open court presents better shot opportunities. But I think you're right. If this is a pound it type game, our chances go up.

And I guess I disagree with the dead legs thing. Many teams have starters that play appx. the same amount of minutes as our guys do.

The way we have been playing, we will lose tomorrow. We just need to increase our offensive level of play and that changes everything. The question is whether we can do it.

Hank Cross 2 years, 8 months ago

Yep. NCS wasn't doing anything special. We just weren't running our offense. Settle down, take an open 3 only after trying to go inside and stop TRob from thinking he's a guard.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

You are going to see a monster amp by Self for this UNC game.

He sent KU out flat for UDM.

He sent KU out with a half amp for Purdue.

He sent KU out flat as a can of coke open for a week against NCSU.

UNC is game he's been building for, prepping for, massaging the troops for from the moment the brackets hit his desk.

The big problem, as always, will be getting the guys to turn the energy into baskets rather than super quick wasted possessions. The way Self did it in '08 is probably not the way he will do it this time, just to keep Roy off guard.

Roy will amp his guys way up from the git go, so he doesn't get caught playing catch-up as happened in '08.

So Self is apt to tell the team to put a lid on it, feel out the opponent for 2-3 minutes, then you're going to see a perfect storm of Jayhawks. Fury in crimson and blue.

I could be wrong. It might happen out of the blocks. But I have a feeling Self will wait a minute or two to get Roy guessing, to let the edge come of Roy's hype of his players.

It is such a great, great chess match situation.

Oh, my yes these Jayhawks are going to be amped.

We just have to hope they don't come out so high we have to scrape them off the ceiling trusses.

hawk_of_ages 2 years, 8 months ago

Ha, ha. I really wish Self was the omnipotent Svengali you think he is.

The difference in this game is that the players will be amped up and excited about being the underdogs rather than playing not to lose -- just like in '08 when we were tight vs. Davidson then brilliant vs. UNC. Of course Self will do what he can to get his guys "amped," but I guarantee you he tried to do the same against the Boilermakers and the Wolfpack. In fact, he probably tried harder to do it in those games, knowing his players would be less likely to be naturally excited for those matchups. But he's just a coach, he's not a magician.

jhawkchuck 2 years, 8 months ago

I feel good about our chances Sunday. As the old saying goes defense wins championships. Our poor offense the last two games can be attributed to playing two excellent defensive teams (Purdue and NC State). We won those games because we play good defense too. It is a fact that Roy doesn't know the first thing about playing defense. Didn't at Kansas, doesn't at UNC. Roy is a great recruiter but he doesn't get his thoroughbreds to come to Chapel Hill to play defense! So with less pressure on our shooters they will start finding the hole while our GREAT defense stifles and frustrates Roy's thoroughbreds. KU 78 UNC 70. Bank it!!

hawk_of_ages 2 years, 8 months ago

Well, I agree that UNC isn't great defensively, but when you look at the season stats, neither are Purdue and NC State. Especially in the latter game, it seemed we were beating ourselves on offense more than anything. At least UNC has a great shot blocker in Henson, which is something we haven't faced, so I wouldn't just assume that we can score on them at will. We will also run the risk of T-Rob and Withey getting foul trouble against that great front line -- UNC runs the same risk, except that they have a good big man they can bring off the bench, which we do not.

Having said all that, I do think we have a great chance to win. We just have to continue playing great defense and execute better on offense, which I'm hopeful we will do now that the pressure is off.

katman52 2 years, 8 months ago

Does Nyone know the name of the song that ku band plays after a win? Something about "put your hands up" or something like that....help

gdkadjayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

"Hot time in the old town tonight." Same song they play when the football team scores.

For a Dixieland version, click the link

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Another terrific photo, Nik Krug. You have captured details of a scene which most of us don't view from our TV monitors...and which refs all too often overlook in the course of hardfought battles.

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

And we sometimes wonder why Thomas misses so many bunnies....

Dirk Medema 2 years, 8 months ago

That pix is brutal. Makes you wonder if it'd be easier playing FB.

Justin Lindsley 2 years, 8 months ago

We are due to have at least an average shooting game. We have been horrible the last two. If we can just shoot around 50% and play D like we have been we should have a great shot at rolling to the 4!!

FLJHK 2 years, 8 months ago

At the risk of further gastro-intestinal distress and heightened blood pressure, I'm getting ready to watch a replay of the game. Am I complaining? No!!!

This team is making winning ugly an art form. To shoot that poorly and in general play that sloppily but still win against a solid team defies all logic. But that's who they are. They find a way. We've seen a lot of past KU teams in the past play like a well-oiled machine, a thing of beauty. And I loved those teams. But several didn't progress as far as this one.

Tommorrow's game may well be ugly again. And many arm-chair coaches will complain and question Self and the players and think that they know better even though none of them do.

In reality, the only thing the players and coaches can fully control is effort. Shots may not fall, some poor decisions might be made, some inexplicable turnovers will undoubtedly occur. But at the end of the game, I have no doubt that they will have given maximum effort. It is who they are. And ususally, that's good enough for a W.

Rock Chalk!

Hank Cross 2 years, 8 months ago

Bingo. Many of those well-oiled machines couldn't take a punch in the mouth. This one can.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

A B-17 was actually kind of an ugly, ungainly plane.

It wasn't nearly as dignified as British Lancasters and it wasn't nearly as sleek as the rounded German Heinkels.

But it was designed to be riddled with gun fire and ack-ack shrapnel and keep flying.

And it did.

This year's KU team is a B-17. Its about to win the Battle of March.

Next year, a lot of new machinery is coming, a lot bigger and faster and more highly ranked machinery. Next year's machinery is what we are going use to carpet bomb the hell out of college basketball for the next two years.

But this year's B-17; this is the machine that is going to turn the tide in the war college basketball supremacy in the favor of the good guys again.

This B-17 began taking hits before it ever took off the ground. It lost Kieff and Josh; then it lost BenMac, Jamari Traylor and Braedon Anderson.

There is not another bomber in this tournament that lost even a tenth what this team lost before it ever rolled down the tarmac for take-off.

This B-17 took the most intense early season ack-ack of any KU bomber ever. It was shot to pieces once by Kentucky when its guns jammed. It got riddled with Duke's bigs picking on our number two engine, Jeff. But it kept flying. Pilot Taylor and co-pilot Johnson kept their hands on the controls and their eyes on the target.

This B-17 saw its wing guns--Travis and Conner--lose aim and have to be re-sighted again and again.

Hell, this B-17 has won a lot of battles with nothing but the pilot Taylor firing the nose gun and flying this rig to the target without even a working bomb sight.

This B-17 is rugged.

This B-17 goes to target no matter what.

Tis B-17 keeps flying.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

Since it's worked the last two games, let me repost my halftime email to be ready for North Carolina:

" We really suck and we are not going to win but it's been a great season and thanks for all the memories..Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU in 2012-2013."

There, everyone...it's a done deal. Start packing for New Orleans because Roy and the Achilles Heels will go down in flames on Sunday.

[PS One caveat - every team that has been shown on the broadcasts being given a pregame pep talk by the coach has lost!! Bill, send the camera man over to the NC locker room!!]

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

"Hell on Wood, or the Lawrence Airmen Advance and the Referees Take Basketball to a New Low"

The 2000 NCAA Final between Michigan State and Wisconsin has always stood like a pitch black light house with a broken lamp and no fog horn in the dawn of basketball's future. It has towered under all NCAA Tournament games before and after as the worst game of basketball ever played...until last night.

Last night, in the world's largest basketball mausoleum, trained, well-paid referees working for the NCAA and its marionettes from the gaming-industrial complex, enabled NCAA tournament basketball to descend to a new low.

Last night, two teams blessed with some of the longest and most athletic players in the tournament, two teams that like to play up-tempo, when zebras let them, were not just allowed, but were essentially coaxed by swallowed whistles into a maw of basketball hell subceeded (thank you Urban Dictionary) not even by the infamous, hell's sewer-low, Chigan State-Cheesehead canker of a final game in 2000.

Make it stop!

Or we will all turn Oedipal and broche our eyes out with TV remotes.

Make it stop!!!

Or we will all have to turn into iIbsens and cry, "Cast me out!"

If the game is not cleaned up, we are all complicit now.

The father of all college basketball programs, the home of James Naismith, the cradle of college basketball, reputed keeper of basketball's grail, the school with the only living myth left in college basketball, the Kansas Jayhawks were dragged down into a Sweet Sixteenth Ring of what can now only be called "His Satanic NCAA's March Inferno," a ring that would make even Dante Alighieri's hair stand on repulsed ends.

Consider what was done to the graceful, the aesthetically immaculate Tyshawn Taylor. This great and beautiful player who moves with blinding speed fully two thirds of most games, was reduced to a Michaelangelo statue caught in the pitch a Hades tar pit.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

erratum: not gaming industrial complex, but rather media-gaming industrial complex. :-)

Steve Gantz 2 years, 8 months ago

OK, now I'm offended, you've mentioned Wisconsin in a negative light.
It's bad enough that every one knows Minnesota the most lakes because their license plates say they have 10,000, even though Wisconsin has over 15,000. But you have to drag my great state down with the only negative of our state besides Jeffry Dahmer, that we played a final four game where the score was something like 21-19 at halftime.
I'm offended, right on the heels of a disheartening loss (why didn't Bo call a TO before the final play and get Bergren in the game?) You've sunk to a new low. :(
When we beat NC tomorrow all will be forgiven!

Robert Murphy 2 years, 8 months ago

Don't forget your moron Gov. Walker. He is almost as pathetic as Brownback. Although it's hard to compare too forms of stupid.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

He's worse than Brownback. At least Sam runs on Kansas money. Walker runs on Kansas money...in Wisconsin!!!!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey Bobby .. I guess anyone who's not a something for nothing, attack the rich, welfare state socialist is a moron.

You offer a third form of stupidity .. more pathetic .. a complete ignorance on what makes a nation great.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 8 months ago

"too forms of stupid" Now who's stupider, someone who is a governor of a state or someone who can't spell two? Brownback's stupid, Walker's stupid, Bush was stupid. Typical commentary from those on the left.

wissoxfan83 =PHOF!

Friday night fish fries make up for everything!

And Taliesin.

And Battlin' Bob LaFollette.

And Leinenkugel.

And 7 year old sharp cheddar only to be found in a few places.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Consider the clear choice for College Basketball Player of the Year in meta-verse unwarped by the media-gaming complex's hyped lies distilled from hell dog urine. Consider the nearest player college basketball currently has to Zeus--Thomas Robinson--the god of sky and thunder over hardwood--the man capable of the Sistene Dunk in the regular season. He was reduced to carrying asses on his back, while being beaten about the face by mortals.

One could go on and on and on.

The NCAA and its whistle swallowing jackals hiding in zebra stripes are responsible. They must take the blame for allying themselves with a basketball gaming complex that stands inscrupulously beyond the reach of basketball regulation.

Given the hideous circumstances of this negative spectacle, i.e., an abatoir-like arena seemingly designed for the slaughter of 40 foot tall cattle instead of for playing games of basketball in, and given the abdication of all moral obligation to the game of basketball by the fake referees, KU's brave team, fighting, at times, as if five serpent-ensnared Laocoöns, somehow, and as usual, found a way to get it done, inspite of the worst slings and arrows of outrageous fortune the NCAA and its hell-referees could muster.

And no blame should be assigned to North Carolina State's up-tempo Cinderalla team either, for the game-calling, no make that the game-cursing, by the referees was equitable in its egregious, "let 'em hack" way.

This was merely the barbarism that basketball becomes when betting spreads, advertising and big profits are allowed to rut like swine on toad on a rock.

Here are the mortifying statistics of what became of two up-tempo teams, when hell was in session.

Field Goal Percentage KU 37.5% NCS 28.4%

3-Pt Percentgae KU 7.1% NCS 28.6%

Total Rebounds KU 50 NCS 47

Turn Overs KU 14 NCS 14

Blocks KU 11 NCS 6

Strips KU 9 NCS 7

Final Score KU 60 NCS 57

Again, this is the quantitative profile of basketball, when you can get away with anything on a basketball floor short of manslaughter.

And the game shall end not with a bang,

But a commercial time out.

Robert Murphy 2 years, 8 months ago

I couldn't agree more. Although I thought we shot worse than that from three. First rule from Naismith, no shouldering. Remember no over the back. They are totally turning a ballet into mud wrestling. Making money and making sense are mutually exclusive.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

bfizz, thanks for remembering Jimmy.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 8 months ago

Horrific play describes what went down.

Shocked and stunned at the selfish TRob play first half trying to be Mr. NBA and not KU team ball. I love him as a son but damn, does he ever play selfish until Self has to beat him on the head to stop that nonsense.

Teahan is such a liablity I can't wait for him to leave. He brings absolutely nothing to the court now as he plays like a scared cat. He used to be confident shooting the ball but he can't even do that now. This has been more of a trend than not. We won't even talk defense. Jeez.

TT deserves a down game and others have stepped up. Releford came out of his shell and Withey a monster along with Young doing good things other than not being very smart player he does hustle as much if not more than any player out there. EJ gets in the groove and provides steadiness.

If this team ever can play "normal" KU ball they are unstoppable. However, the SELFISH attitudes (HCBS says the same damn thing) needs to STOP right now. It is embarassing and maddening to see that take place.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Jesus, what bizarrely ground lenses did you view this game through. 18 minutes, 5 points, 2 reebs, 0 TOs, sound defense and a key drive along the baseline for a basket on an off trey night? Sounds like an ideal glue game to me.

TT didn't have an off game either. He's just now full swing into his season's slump that unfortunately has hit at the end of the season. He was an absolutely man every other way. Ten rebounds from a flipping point guard!!! Again, what kind of lenses did you have ground at Lensacrafters? Take them back and demand your money back.

TRob selfish? Sure. And Mother Theresa was a money grubbing investment banker. TRob was struggling through hell to make things happen for his team, because no one else was physically strong enough to beat through the sumo defense that was being allowed by the refs. TRob managed 18 points and 15 rebounds in the basketball equivalent of a tar pit. No other player out there on KU could have come up with better numbers under the circumstances.

EJ was up and down and up again, so though he netted a fine, fine game give the ridiculous defending allowed, he could only do it by picking and choosing opportune moments to strike. He had not trey gun. And he wasn't physically strong enough to go in at will and bang his way to the iron.

At least you give some credit to Releford, who defended like a demon, and Withey and Young, who played their hearts out on the defensive end, where Self rightly decided the game had to be won or lost, since scoring baskets in the abattoir was going to be a nearly random accident most of the time.

Selfish attitudes? People rag on Thomas when he lets the game come to him. People rag on Thomas when he makes things happen. People rag on Thomas for taking outside shots. People rag on Thomas for missing free throws.

Thomas Robinson is the bulwark of this team.

Thomas Robinson is why Tyshawn and EJ are not mercilessly put on the floor every game when they drive to iron.

Thomas Robinson is why Jeff Withey has not already been put out for the season with a broken bone.

Thomas Robinson is why this team can afford Travis Releford's gone trey and why Travis can release frequently for some transition baskets.

Thomas Robinson is why Kevin Young and Conner Teahan are not twisted into knots and tossed off the court.

Thomas Robinson awesome strength and determined psychological presence are the only things standing between this team of great long and athletes having sand kicked in their face at the beach by a bunch of basketball goons.

Don't call Thomas Robinson selfish.

Get some new prescriptions.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 8 months ago

Look at the pic of TRob at the top of the story. Look at TRob's stats from that game.

Now take a step back and look at lifes lot that this young man has had to endure. Selfish TRob?

COJHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

couple thoughts...

--It says something that KU can play sub-standard ball 2 games in a row and still win. Means this team is different than past teams b/c that hasn't been the case in recent years. Credit where credit is due.

--I remember coaches growing up constantly preaching to big men to keep the ball up when in the post and not put it on the floor. Seems like Withey/TRob get themselves in trouble when they put the ball on the floor and it seems to happen with some frequency. Any thoughts from a "big man" on this thread?

Excited for tomorrow. Hopeful Zeller doesn't get coddled when he flails around like Hansbrough used to when he did. Should be a good one

machinegun 2 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn played his heart out against NC State. The fact that he came up short or long as the case may be does not concern me. He will go out and give everything he has (including his knee) for this team against North Carolina and that is why I love the guy! Ty is a warrior!

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

I know there is this unwritten rule, an unspoken agreement, that since Tyshawn played so brilliantly during the conference season that he is above criticism on these boards. That we're not where we are without him, so he's earned a pass on any bad performance. But he said it himself, "I stunk it up." He did. And I'll agree with him, while still hoping that he finds the switch to give us at least one more "good Tyshawn" game. His play down the stretch had me saying "uh-oh, here we go again." Ill-advised shots, turnovers, missed free throws, the play where he got caught up in the air late in the shot clock and threw the ball out to half-court, forcing EJ to hoist up a desperation heave...just not good. He did some good things for sure. 10 rebounds is impressive. He did have a great lay-up that put us up by 8 late in the game. And he found EJ streaking to the basket on the out-of-bounds play late. But make no mistake, he did stink it up. It doesn't make me not like him nor diminish how great he was during conference play. Gotta have a better game against UNC though.

Other thoughts:

• Are we still saying "well, at least we got that out of our system" or is this starting to seem like a worrisome trend? Yeah yeah yeah...survive and advance. Would be nice to be heading into Sunday's game with a little more offensive momentum.

• The battle of the front-courts on Sunday should be epic. Should be. How it is officiated could change that. This seems like it could be a game TRob or Withey get into foul trouble and it spells our undoing.

• Speaking of officiating, two blown calls (or no-calls) cost KU 6 points last night. One where TRob gathered a rebound, was bodied to where he was leaning out-of-bounds, he throws the ball at the NC State player and it hits his foot, and NC State inexplicably is given possession. That led to a 3 by NC State. My memory is a little foggier on the other play, but I recall vividly thinking that after another blown/non-call it resulted in Wood being fouled shooting a 3-pointer, and sinking all 3 free throws. They were definitely letting them play, and we surely got the benefit of some non-calls ourselves, but I remember those two directly resulting in 6 NC State points. As HEM is fond of saying, officiating is often the worst part of any sport.

• This team has officially surpassed my expectations. I thought this team was sweet 16 good all year, so to advance any further is gravy at this point. Sure it will still hurt if we lose Sunday, but this season is officially a successful one. That being said, why not go out and win on Sunday and get another Final Four on our resume? And if we do that, I like our chances against Syracuse, and would love a rematch with Ohio State, this time with Sullinger.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

+1 .. excellent comments. This team has exceeded expectations Gravy now. But hey, like you said, now that we're here .. perhaps we can just win 3 more in a row? And I like our matchup vs. OSU or Syracuse. Only Kentucky presents an incredibly difficult match-up of those remaining.

Yes, Wood got three shots on something that happens all the time .. one of the few bad calls last night. Wood kind of got grazed by Teahan as he landed after the shot. This might have occurred when we had an 8 point lead to cut it to 5, if I'm remembering right.

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

It happened twice last night that Wood got fouled shooting a 3, and he made all six free throws. I actually wasn't too upset with either of those calls, and I think it was the second time (when EJ fouled him) that had me upset, but it was a poor call earlier that gave NC State the extra possession resulting in the play. Can't remember exactly what happened to give NC State possession (or allow them to retain it), but I remember commenting on it during the game how brutal it was.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Such things as performance in a horror of a game like the NCSU game can become very subjective.

You saw what you saw.

But here is what I saw.

TT had a solid game considering the kind of game that was allowed--a game hardly favoring his style.

TT held Brown to 3-12, equaled him on assists, out rebounded him +3, and was only -2 on TOs vs. Brown. Solid performance in my book.

TT just shot poorly and that wasn't so much Brown, as it was TT being finally in his season's shooting slump.

TT is likely to be in this shooting slump the rest of the way. Every player has a 2-3 week slump each season. Some player always has this happen to him at the end of the season in the tournament. Its sad, but its also just something else to overcome for a Lawrence Airman.

But the great thing about TT is that he can still guard like crazy and he did some really stellar on ball defense on Brown, whenever TT was not being knocked off his feet by clipping.

And who was the last KU point guard to get 10 rebounds in a game?

And against a D1 Major?

And in a Sweet 16?

Really, considering who TT was up against--Brown--and considering TT's in a slump, and considering the game was a street fight, he had a fine game.

A lesser guard gives up and throws in the sponge against a bigger guard, when his shot is nowhere, and every where he turns he is getting tripped, or clipped.

Go, TT, go!!!!

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Be prepared to lose respect for Roy, because he wants this W more than any but his ring Ws.

I believe he will play that young man unless that young man cannot walk, because of the pain killer.

Roy is a southerner with a strong sense of propriety and a loooooooong memory.

He feels wronged by KU and its fans, and he hated that beating we game him to go on and win a ring.

He wants us bad.

But the Lawrence Airmen want the W worse.

They are fighting for themselves, they are fighting for Jayla, and they are fighting for all the non Mickey D's that ever had to sit at the back of a hype bus in any profession.

Go, Jayhawks, go!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

WIN...Good...... LOSE...Bad

Maybe it is just that simple.... and every word posted above is superfulous!!

Robert Murphy 2 years, 8 months ago

Except for your first flight you might also be superfluous Orville. However, keep making that great pop corn.

Steve Brown 2 years, 8 months ago

shoot under 10% from trey, shoot under 40% from field, shoot horrific from the line, have 14 turnovers and still win.

we don't have to play UNC sunday, they have to play us.

Tarheel, your turn, come get some of this. You may win and may not, but know this, after the game you will know we are not Ohio.

KansasComet 2 years, 8 months ago

Don't really care who does what or how they do it as long as we get the win. Survive and advance!

packywacky88 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm going to spend the day watching Kansas regional finals victories on Youtube, starting with 1986. Best KU team ever. IMHO.

4Runner 2 years, 8 months ago

Go ahead Roy, put Marshall in,,, A point guard who will only be able to work the ball effectively on one side of his body will be exploited by our guards and a liability to UNC.

Rock Chalk Jayhawks!! All year long you have shown the strength of TRUE teamwork, contributing however you can, having your teammates back, never giving up while finding a way to get it done,,, Jayhawk nation now has your back,,, From here on out just go out there and have a blast! It's all good boys,,, You ARE WINNERS!! You ARE JAYHAWKS!! ROCK CHALK!!

rob4lb 2 years, 8 months ago

You don't get extra points for style. There are only eight teams left. I never would have imagined we would have been in this position in December. I have a theory and maybe I am putting on a positive spin. The theory is the team will be much looser on Sunday. They no longer face the pressure of being upset by a double digit seed. As much as the coaching staff tries to prevent it, I am sure the players have been looking toward a game with UNC.

I know the teams are different, but in the 2008 Final Four, KU came in looking like the weakest team after squeaking by Davidson. We all know what happened against UNC in that game.

There will be pressure on both teams. There wasn't alot of pressure on Purdue and NC-State. UNC was preseason #1 and Roy Williams will probably be very tightly wound.

Don't worry about how we got here. There are only eight teams left and KU is one of them.

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

I remember the SI covers leading up to the 2008 Championship. In no particular order they featured: Kevin Love, Tyler Hansbrough, and Derrick Rose.

At first I was miffed that they ignored Kansas. When the last of those 3 issues arrived the day of (?) or just before the Final - it hit me. It was a SIGN.

The next SI cover featured the entire Kansas team. Mario had his back turned to the camera. We all know why.

Kristen Downing 2 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn may not be scoring, but come on...he had 10 REBOUNDS! We needed some rebounding from our guards all season and he focused on that. Thank you Tyshawn.

corvuscorax 2 years, 8 months ago

"Selfball" and the Hawks are still rockin. Five on five, both ends, check yer pedigrees at the scorer's table, may the best team win. Even if it's three yards and a cloud of sawdust. And Rele, loved that one-on-three-spin-to the rack dagger.

Robert Murphy 2 years, 8 months ago

That spin move was the best play of the game.

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

This has been a brutally long season for starters who often must play well over 30 minutes. The minds of our two best players have to have been affected by national polls: for Thomas, the POY thing, and for Tyshawn, the Cousy Award. Perhaps no secret that Tyshawn's numbers have dropped from the moment he was added late to the Cousy list. Thomas just seemed to be in shutdown mode occasionally when the POY debate raged. I say, too much psychological load to be added to bodies already beat up from an exhausting season of play.

Robert Murphy 2 years, 8 months ago

I really don't think either award is on their minds. It's staying alive.

Carolyn Hunzicker 2 years, 8 months ago

Iam happy the guys pulled this one out.......BUT from the looks on Selfs face prior to and at the beginning of the game....Well he looked like a deer in the headlights. He looked scared and rattled.....May the players saw this... !!!

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

Get real. Someone (maybe you) said this after the Purdue game as well. One of the most ridiculous, troll-esque statements I've ever read.

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

The KU LadyHawks tried hard, but lost to Tennessee 73 to 84. Actually outshot the Vols 47%, to 43% by Tennessee. However, UT made 21 of 23 freethrows, outscoring KU by 14 from the line. Still, a great end of the season run. The LadyHawks only lose one player (if I remember correctly) so next season is looking good.

JakeBarnes 2 years, 8 months ago

"so screw your courage to the sticking point and you will not fail." Lady MacBeth.

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

But we know how that bit of advice worked out for hubby....

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

The real test of a man is not when he plays the role he wants for himself but when he plays the role destiny has for him. –Václav Havel

This team, this university, is being endlessly tested.

A team without a Micky D must beat a team full of them.

A thin team must go where a deep team could not.

A 2 guard is the point guard.

A point guard is the 2 guard.

An impact 3 is a glue 3.

A young man who has lost most of his family is the bulwark of a sister and a team depending on him.

A volley ball player must learn to play smash mouth ballet.

A coach with a football player's mentality and shoulders coaches basketball.

One of the 50 greatest players of the last 50 years must coach.

A former head coach must be a director of basketball operations.

Two assistant coaches long ready to be head coaches musts be assistant coaches.

A football man must administrate all sports.

A chancellor must realign an athletic conference.

The situation wreaks of individuals meeting true tests.

Is it any wonder heroism keeps leaping to the fore.

Tomorrow will complete the abolition of Tobacco Road.

The world will be a better place for it.

The Lawrence Airmen fly again.

Rock Chalk Jayhawks.

Go KU!

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 8 months ago

"Ad Astra Per Aspera" - To the Stars with Difficulty.

This KU team truly lives up to the state's motto.