Friday, March 23, 2012

Roy Williams still fan of Jayhawks

North Carolina head coach Roy Williams laughs with injured guard Kendall Marshall during a day of press conferences and practices at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis.

Roy Williams, who has 61-year-old knees, takes a daily walk, instead of a jog these days.

Thursday, the ninth-year University of North Carolina basketball coach who coached the previous 15 years at Kansas University crossed the path of a KU fan during his morning stroll.

“This guy says, ‘Rock Chalk Jayhawk.’ And you know what I said: ‘Go KU,’” Williams said Thursday at the Edward Jones Dome. His Tar Heels will meet Ohio at 6:47 p.m. today, with the winner meeting either KU or North Carolina State on Sunday.

“OK. And he walked about three or four steps, and he says, ‘Damn, that was Roy,’” Williams added. “That is the way I feel about it. I’ll be ecstatic if we are still playing on Sunday regardless of who we are playing. And I’m a Kansas fan. I’m a North Carolina fan first. For 15 years, I was a North Carolina fan, but I was a Kansas fan first. And I’m interested in what is going to happen tomorrow (vs. Ohio). That is taking every ounce of my energy, every ounce of my concentration, and that’s what we are trying to work on.”

Williams, who attended North Carolina and apprenticed under KU grad and UNC coaching legend Dean Smith, said: “I’m really being truthful. I love the University of Kansas. My first chancellor at North Carolina (James Moeser) said it’s not immoral to love two institutions, and I think there’s some truth to that. OK. I love Kansas.”

Haase recalls wrist woes

Tar Heel point guard Kendall Marshall isn’t the only member of the UNC basketball program who has had surgery on his hand. Tar Heel assistant coach Jerod Haase broke his right wrist during his senior year at KU (1996-97).

photo

North Carolina assistant coach Jerod Haase watches over practice at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis.

“I broke it the first game of the year, the Santa Clara game. It’s probably good for the team I didn’t shoot that much. I let the All-Americans do their thing,” Haase said. “It would get a little better, a little bit worse. Toward the end, it got really bad. I had a cortisone shot right before the Sweet 16. It went south. That was the end of that.”

In fact, Haase was rendered helpless in KU’s Sweet 16 loss to Arizona.

“It’s the toughest loss I ever had, certainly one of the low points of my life,” Haase said.

Haase, who is in his ninth year on Williams’ UNC staff, and wife Mindy have three children: sons Gavin (51⁄2), Garrett (21⁄2) and newborn daughter Gabrielle.

McGrath reflects

UNC assistant C.B. McGrath also is a former KU guard in his ninth year in Chapel Hill.

“The last 16 years of our lives we’ve spent basically every day together,” McGrath said. He and buddy Haase trade off every other year coaching UNC’s junior-varsity team, gaining head-coaching experience while also assisting Williams full-time.

“It’s a lot of fun working for coach Williams in a big program. We’ve got a nice life. With coach Williams, you get in a comfort zone. We all work hard. We know what we have to do to be successful and keep him off our backs,” C.B. added, smiling.

McGrath and wife Kris have twin daughters Kate and Addison, born in 2006, and son Hunter, born in 2008.

Marshall update

Williams said he has “no idea” if Kendall Marshall will play against Ohio or Sunday if the Heels make it that far.

“If he comes running in and jumps down and does 10 right-handed pushups on his right hand, then I’ll say I’ll probably play his rear end,” Williams said. “But I don’t expect that to happen. The guy can’t brush his teeth right now.”

Nice dunk

About 2,000 fans attended KU’s afternoon shootaround at Edward Jones Dome. Highlight was Tyshawn Taylor throwing the ball off the shot clock to a trailing Justin Wesley, who slammed for the fans to conclude the action.

T-Rob says

KU’s Thomas Robinson on his motivation last summer:“Me proving to people outside of Kansas’ program that I am a good player, that I felt like I deserved to be named among the top players of the country. And as far as working on my game, I just wanted to get better at everything. So I don’t really try to get great at one thing. It’s something that I just try to work on every single aspect of my game.”

Distractions

Travis Releford and Robinson on distractions during the tourney: Releford: “I would just have to say our family, maybe. Because they probably are the biggest distraction right now, worried about tickets and telling us to do things that we haven’t been doing like throughout the season. So maybe them and our friends. We keep them out the way and stay in our circle, our team, and coaches, and just do what we have been doing to get here. We should be fine.”

Robinson: “Everybody thinks they’re coach (Bill) Self this year, so we get all kinds of crazy texts and people telling you what to do. So we just try to stay away from it and stay within ourselves, and we can put them off for a couple more weeks.”

Self on upsets

“I don’t think there’s really any upsets this time of year, like a lot of the so-called prognosticators think there is. Once you get to this weekend, all the teams are good. So there may be minor ones, but they’re not major upsets this time of year.

“I’ll be honest, we did not play our best (Sunday in win over Purdue). I think Purdue had a lot to do with that, but we played tough. I think sometimes coaches take more pride when their team plays tough than when things aren’t going their way, kind of figures it out, then when they do it’s easy. We tell our guys, it’s not hard to have a good attitude and a great outlook if everything’s going perfect for you. The key is when it doesn’t go perfect for you, how are you going to respond, and I thought our guys responded well in that area.”

Ellis honored

KU signee Perry Ellis on Thursday was named Kansas Gatorade Player of the Year for the fourth straight year, the only prep in Kansas history to win the award four times.

Comments

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 5 months ago

Apologies for the repost; I assume my origional post will be buried by the todays articles.

We love ya too, Roy.

But, I wonder if we'd feel the same way if Roy beat us in 08" and we never won that title. Just a thought... I'd like to think so; but I honestly don't know. So much of our Jayhawk reality has been shaped by that Final Four/National Championship.

Cmill1221 2 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, we get it Roy. We saw your sticker a few years ago but I still don't care.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

The Kansas University thing has to do with the AP I believe. Blame them.

Kevin Studer 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm not sure, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that they don't want to give you a prize for being the one millionth person to post that. Givie it a rest, it's not changing.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 5 months ago

I saw Kentucky referred to as KU the other day in the bleacher report.

RJ King 2 years, 5 months ago

Gremlins. The same ones that finally shut off a really annoying car alarm.

Calijhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

KU Sports....

KU is Kansas. UK is Kentucky. We could call the University of Kentucky ...Kentucky University, but then they would be two KU's. To distinguish, we would have to letter University of Kansas UK. Then KU would be UK and UK would be KU. Unless the new UK wanted to go back to being the old KU and new KU wanted to be UK again.

My suspicion is that UK would just as soon remain UK, and KU is content being KU.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

The Kansas University thing has to do with the AP I believe. Out of KUSports.com's hands.

Ben Kane 2 years, 5 months ago

it has nothing to do with the AP. every media outlet has their own bible on how they want to refer to things (usually local) that supercedes the AP guide. the brass at LJW want to call it Kansas University and all of the LJW staff must abide by this if they want to keep their jobs. I don't understand why our boards have to be hijacked by this silly debate every day. I don't like it either, but let's let it go.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

lama 2 years, 5 months ago

It's not AP -- it's the JW's style.

addlime 2 years, 5 months ago

I disagree. While I actually don't care personally, I admire these posters for continuing to argue for what they believe in. When I look at this issue objectively, I believe the ljw to be incorrect on this. I don't see any conflict in calling the University of Kansas KU. And the name of the school is what it is. KU is just it's shortened name, for use on scoreboards and t shirts. It doesn't have to exactly correlate with the schools name. At least it's not ignorant looking like the shortened name Mizzou. Gotta love that one. And for the record, I've had a couple of my professional writer friends look at this issue (major newspaper and magazine writers) and they agree with the posters, not ljw.

RJ King 2 years, 5 months ago

Kansas University is a world-wide community of students and alumni who rejoice in our powerful bond. A school, a team, by any other name would smell as sweet (16).

Some rules are meant to be bended. As illustrated by a variation of Churchill's, "this is the sort of nonsense up with which I shall not put."

Hank Cross 2 years, 5 months ago

Newsflash - Roy was always UNC 1st. Like Scarlett O'Hara pining for Ashley Wilkes when she was married to Rhett. That's who he is and I don't hold it against him. I hold not getting Pierce to the FF against him. He looks ancient for 61. Maybe those years of Stankums on his back wore him down.

And yes Jerrod, that loss to UofA was the lowpoint for many people. I don't remember him ever showing up for the tourney so he can blame that injury all he wants. From the pic it looks like he's been trying to drown his sorrow in BBQ sauce ever since.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree Roy learned a lot at KU, particularly in the '95 to '98 era from all the mistakes he made. I believe he rectified a lot of it in the '02 and '03 years and put together the best basketball teams each of those years. Definitely disappointing to not make a Final Four with Paul Pierce.

As far as Haase, that guy was a maniac, floor burn city, not cool to dis on an ex-player that gave KU everything he had. I'm sure he can still take you to school all day long oxcaljhawk

kranny 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree. His subbing by platoon with no match-up logic during games was maddening. It seemed as if someone who had the hot hand got yanked and momentum fell apart. A lot of good teams got beat unnecessarily.

AllenFieldmouse 2 years, 5 months ago

Why would you try to tear down Jerrod?

Haase was the epitome of hustle and effort while he played for the Jayhawks. Yeah, he's put on a little weight, since he isn't setting records for floor burns anymore, so what?

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 5 months ago

Right. Hasse was in my class at KU...loved watching him play...he was a glue guy, warrior on the court. Did have a chuckle though over the BBQ sauce comment though.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 5 months ago

Thank goodness none of the rest of us have gain weight since college, right?

jhox 2 years, 5 months ago

I was fortunate enough to get to know Jerrod a little, and he was (and I'm sure still is) a great guy. He played his heart out for KU. You'll never find anyone who left more on the floor for KU than Jerrod, so your cheap shot is a bunch of BS. It's not an excuse, it's a fact... he was injured, but he did his best to play through it because he was such a fierce competitor. Since when did so called KU fans start disrespecting their own? Jerrod didn't leave KU by choice, he left because his job was moved.

I've always felt Jerrod would be a great successor to Self some day. He's a natural born leader, he's a born salesman, and he would be a recruiting machine because of his personality.

Jim Pendleton 2 years, 5 months ago

I cannot believe anyone would try to bash Haase for his effort. He may have had some off games shooting over his career, but what player doesn't. His effort alone probably won us a lot of games over his career.

For the record, I hope when you suggest he didn't show up for the tourney that you meant his senior year, when he was playing thru injury. Because as bad as the Arizona loss was in '97 for everyone (especially the team), we would have lost to those guys again in the '96 tourney in Denver had Haase not made a three pointer in the last 20 seconds or so that won that game for us. So don't try and tell me, or any other KU fan, that he never showed up for the tourney.

Let's get after the pack tonight. Rock Chalk!!

Hank Cross 2 years, 5 months ago

I can't count the times I've seen someone take a shot at Sherron Collins here. The same Sherron Collins that helped KU win the NC. On the other hand, say anything about 'floor-burn' or 'hustle' guys like Jerod and Brady - neither of whom got their team to the FF - and the defenders come out. Wonder why.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 5 months ago

Were you not around for the article where Self talked about TT's toughness and a long debate ensued about how he doesn't have more of it than Sherron? There are plenty of users on here that will rip you a new one if they catch you bagging on SC, or even if they catch HCBS say something that might be considered disrespecting him they're all over it.

Krohnutz 2 years, 5 months ago

Dude. on this forum filled with our very own homers you will get flamed for saying anything bad about Haase.

However, floor burns alone do not constitute defense. I was not in love with him, unlike Roy and 90% of the fanbase. I would have LOVED if we had a stopper off-guard with Haase bringing his energy and shooting in for solid minutes off the bench.

I don't hate the guy, but man exercise your freedom of speech, if you felt like he was a weak link on a monster couple years, say so.

I feel like Roy should have given Pierce the ball about forty shots a game. But that is just me... and Doc Rivers... and Rick Pitino.

Mel Clare 2 years, 5 months ago

Really? And you could have done better? Moron!

jayhawker_97 2 years, 5 months ago

TRob:“Me proving to people outside of Kansas" dude, what are you waiting for? there's only a handful game left. go prove it now. so far in the tourney, TRob has yet to play like they said of him last summer at LBJ camp. he seems so frozen & couldn't complete the bunnies against people his size. now go for it, play your real game, TRob. there's no tomorrow.

go Jayhawk!

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 5 months ago

Not that I don't want TRob to have 4 monster games in the next week and a half, but he's already proven it jayhawker97, he's a First Team All-American Hopefully he lets loose against NCSt and torches their front line, but if he doesn't, he's still gonna be a top ten pick 'cause he's shown the goods all year long.

Dillweed 2 years, 5 months ago

It doesn't help when he gets quadruple-teamed and his teammates go 2 for 19 shooting. When others are hitting their shots and the other team can't cheat towards TRob, he will show his game! I know he missed some open chipy's towards the end of the Purdue game - by then he was quite frustrated.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 5 months ago

Uh, he was talking about his motivation for last summer, not for the tournament this year. I'd say at this point he's surpassed this goal with flying colors.

Orangedog87 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the read.....as a graduate of KU and Chicago Booth School of Business it was very interesting.

MorganR 2 years, 5 months ago

Like other KU fans, I was disappointed when coach Williams left but I think all of us understood the siren call of our alma maters. Coach Williams enhanced the basketball traditions at KU and, for that, every KU fan should be grateful. With the hiring of Coach Self, the sting of losing Coach Williams has gone. Both KU and UNC have Hall of Fame coaches. I wish Coach Williams and his coaching staff (many of whom were at KU) well. I am so excited about the KU basketball programs (men and women) this year. The KU men and women have exceeded expectations and are playing great basketball. ROCK CHALK!!

Displayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Kansas is ballin', while Missouri is bawlin'!

jhox 2 years, 5 months ago

Well said, Displayhawk. A very creative Missery put down. I like it a lot.

Robert Brown 2 years, 5 months ago

Let's give credit where credit is due. KU is a superpower in basketball today largely because of Roy Williams. I know Larry Brown won a championship largely on the back of Danny Manning, but when he left the program was hardly considered a national power. KU was 6 seed and just got hot. I think Larry Brown only won one regular season conference title. KU wasn't ranked every year. It was a big deal if we cracked the Top 20.

When unknown Roy took over, I remember thinking that at least I got to see KU win a national championship. Two years later, KU became a perennial Top 10 power that has been sustained for now 23 years. I think only once in those 23 years did we enter the tournament lower than a 6 seed.

Anyone over the age of 40 who has followed KU basketball knows that KU wasn't always on top of the college basketball world. The reason they are today is due largely to what Roy Williams built while he was the coach at KU.

I was angry when he left and have a hard time cheering for UNC but it has worked out pretty well for KU.

Bob Thompson 2 years, 5 months ago

It wasn't his leaving, it was him saying he would never leave while he was talking to NC and then leaving. If you are going to go, then go, but don't lie to us and expect it to be ok.

jhox 2 years, 5 months ago

I couldn't have said it better HouTexHawk. The only thing that really bothered me about Roy's departure is the fact that he let it be a distraction at the Final 4 in New Orleans. He should have come out and said he didn't give a darn about that NC job, and that he intended to the the coach at Kansas. He could have called his people at UNC and told them to ignore what he was saying in public, and that he had every intention of being their next coach, but that he could not let their job opening be a distraction for his team during the Final 4. I could have forgiven him for that. Instead, he let it be a giant distraction, and I'll forever believe it ended up costing us a championship. I've heard rumors that Roy and Dean Smith had his KU departure cooked up months before that, so it's not like UNC didn't know he was coming.

All that being said, I lived through a lot of the Ted Owens years, and through the Larry Brown years when we were constantly holding our breath wondering if he'd be back the next year, and watched recruiting suffer because of that. What recruit would want to come to a school when the coach is only willing to say he'll be around at least one more year? Roy did a great job, brought stability, and built the program back up to levels it hadn't seen since Phog Allen. We do owe the guy a lot. Thing is, I really believe when he says nice things about KU he means it. We gave him his first shot, and we adored him while he was at KU. Probably the only negative during his time at KU was that he was working for Al Bohl. I suspect if not for Al Bohl, he may still be coaching in Lawrence. Circumstances change. I'm sure he didn't anticipate working for a guy like Al Bohl when he made the comment that he would be at KU the rest of his career.

But things definitely worked out. We currently have a guy who considers KU the best coaching job in America, and who well may be the best coach in America. I know I wouldn't trade our current coach to have Williams back. But that doesn't mean I don't respect Roy's tremendous contributions to our program.

jhox 2 years, 5 months ago

jhox 2 years, 5 months ago

Krohnutz 2 years, 5 months ago

Triple post, ahhhh, hurting my eyes!

Keith Hummel 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree. Well said. Also like what jhox said above. I was in school during the Ted Owns era, so I remember the "lean years" of KU Basketball well. Roy played a huge role in making KU relevant again, and for that he will have my eternal gratitude.

dhinkansas 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree to a point, but Larry Brown started it all. Without him and the exposure Kansas received in that time, there would have been no Roy. Brown took two teams to the final four in his five years at KU. Yes, Williams had incredible success and he took the program and ran with it. But to give Williams 100% credit for where the program is today is a dis-service to Brown. The 85-86 Kansas team still remains one of the best ever at KU.

Robert Brown 2 years, 5 months ago

I give Larry Brown credit and Monte Johnson credit for hiring him. What Larry Brown inherited a lot more talent than did Roy Williams. The 85-86 was great and I always believed that had the three point shot been enacted, KU would have won the National Championship. The stars of that team were Ted Owens recruits. Once they graduated, Larry Brown struggled to bring in top recruits, but he had Danny Manning. By the summer of 1988 after the national championship, after Danny Manning and Larry Brown left the programs and after being put on probation, the expectations for the program were very low. Roy Williams essentially wasn't able to recruit his first year.

The 1989 team was ineligible for the post season but was very entertaining, won 19 games and exceeded expectation. The following year, KU was ranked #1 for the first time since the late 50s (except for the final poll in 1988).

I grew up and went to school during the Owens era and am amazed and thrilled where the program is today and I give Roy Williams the lion's share of the credit.

Krohnutz 2 years, 5 months ago

Man, I thought I replied to your post, but I started a new one below. I felt your thoughts on Roy were spot on.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 5 months ago

I still have an old KU T-Shirt that says "Late Night with Roy Williams on it". When I wear it around Atlanta I get lots of puzzled looks and bewildered questions. "Why are you wearing that?" they'll ask, "Roy Williams isn't the coach at KU". And I'll say "yes, your absolutely right, but he was the head coach at KU for allot longer than he's been the coach at UNC." "But he's a UNC guy", they'll say. "WAS a UNC guy", I'll say. "You see, once you've coached at The Mecca of college basketball, nothing less will ever satisfy you", I'll say. "C'mon", they'll say, "he only went to KU to wait for Dean Smith to retire". "NO" I'll say, "he only returned to UNC to save his alma mater from a mess, and only because you Tar Heels wouldn't stop begging him." Then I'll remind them that he rooted for the Jayhawks in the National Championship, hired a Jayhawk as his assistant, still comes back to Lawrence, and to this day can't say a negative thing about KU. If the conversation continues I'll trump their Michael Jordan boasting with my Wilt Chamberlain boasting ("Wilt went to KU?" they'll say incredulously) and remind them that Saint Dean is a KU grad and learned everything he knows from the "Father of Basketball Coaching", Phog Allen, at The Mecca in Lawrence, KS. The same place, I'll remind them, where the very man who invented the game was the first coach. "So you see", I'll say, "UNC basketball wouldn't exist today if it weren't for KU". "Your welcome", I'll say. Then they'll say something I can't repeat here and walk away.

My point is, you should all be very thankful Roy was our coach. Not just because of what he accomplished, but also because he will always be the perfect example of why KU trumps North Carolina in every basketball discussion. Just as Larry Brown, another UNC grad, has made Lawrence a second home, Roy will never get KU out of his system. And this, more than anything else, drives the UNC faithful bonkers.

Thank goodness I didn't throw away that old Roy Williams shirt.

kranny 2 years, 5 months ago

I admire your loyalty but I wouldn't be caught dead in that shirt. Can't help the way I feel but I'll always go for anybody against Roy even Mizzou. He pulled this drama on Jayhawk nation twice. The only thing I'm thankful to him for is that he opened the door for the best coach in bball- 2008 National Championship coach, Bill Self.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 5 months ago

Fair enough. In all honesty, I almost threw that shirt away, and couldn't wear it myself for a long time. I guess I've gotten past all that drama. Drama is just how Roy is. He's had more than his share of it even at UNC. Compare the number of times Roy broke down crying on national TV to the number of times Bill Self has done it. I don't mean that as criticism of Roy, but it demonstrates how he wears his heart on his sleeve. In the end he followed his heart back home. I get that, even if I don't like how he handled it. So now, for me, Roy is just another great chapter in the storied tradition of KU Basketball. And he's become just another great example of why college basketball begins and ends on Naismith Drive.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 5 months ago

That's the best you can do? Nick-pick my use of the word allot? Your starting to soften up man. Are you sure you don't want to criticize my overuse of quotes, or my grammatical mistakes, or improper punctuation, or run-on sentences, or use of a parenthetical?

Keith Hummel 2 years, 5 months ago

It's called a "conditioned response" - not paranoia. Want a different response? Then try adding something constructive once in awhile.

bad_dog 2 years, 5 months ago

"What does "allot" mean?"

While you could submit this to the LJW's "Sound Off" section, let me see if I can help:

It is defined as a unit of measurement used to determine how frequently the banned poster formerly known as KSA 21-3503 (the Kansas statutory reference to indecent liberties with a child) acts like a dung beetle.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 5 months ago

lol

Always wondered what happened to that creep. Now I know.

2 years, 5 months ago

Isn't that being a little too harsh on the dung beetle?

Phoghorn 2 years, 5 months ago

I dunno...ask someone with a degree from The University of Tulane.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

My how time flies. 9 years!!!!

Roy has had another career at UNC and got his rings.

And we have had another great coach and a ring and more thrills and success even than when Roy was here.

For what its worth, I love Baja KU, as much as Roy loves KU. I love BajaKU so much that I want Bill Self to recruit east and take recruits out of Roy's back yard as much as Roy tries to steal recruits our of our back yard.

Heck, I love BajaKU so much that I want Roy to limit his recruiting to east of the Mississippi, while at BajaKU, as he limited his recruiting to west of the Mississippi, while at KU.

Heck, I love BajaKU so much that I want Roy to tell Bill Self Roy owes it to let KU recruit east and west of the Mississippi, while Roy limits himself to east of the Mississippi, just so things are squared up after all these years. And I want Roy to tell Bill and KU that he will do this for a total of 15 years, so things are square.

Roy, until you retire, or stop raiding KU's recruiting backyard, which is now the entire United States, we love BajaKU just exactly the way you love KU.

Fair's fair, right, Roy?

No, fair is not fair. You still owe us 15 years of east coast recruits and two rings that you would have won at KU had you not made that devil's bargain with Dean so that you could eventually bump your own protege, Matt Doherty, out of the UNC job in the midst of playing for the only Final Four you had a shot at, while at Kansas.

No hard feelings, Roy.

We just like a square deal.

And will get it square the more time goes by.

With your help, or without.

And, yes, Roy, when you retire, I hope we will end the dispute with an asterisk in your biography: "*Roy Williams was the best Kansas basketball coach that only recruited half the country, so one day he might get the UNC job. Phog Allen, Dick Harp, Ted Owens, Larry Brown and Bill Self, in chronological order, were KU's best coaches, because their highest allegiance, while they coached at KU, was KU."

Rock Chalk!!!

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I have to say that Jaybate has focused on the crux of what troubles me most about Roy's tenure while at KU. He did great things while he was here. But was he truly and completely here the entire time? I happened to be back in Kansas for a funeral on the the day Bill Self was hired, and while I realize newspapers always put a positive spin on such things, I couldn't help thinking then that we might have just upgraded. And nothing has changed to make me disavow that initial reaction.

'nuff said.

chalked 2 years, 5 months ago

Is it just me, or does Jerod Haase look like Greg Gurley's twin brother?

Anyway, never understood all of the hatred towards Roy when he left to return to his Alma Mater. Put yourself in the same situation and what would you do?

Ron Franklin 2 years, 5 months ago

Embarrassing to see you 'fans' bag and tear down fellow human beings that dedicated their every ounce of energy to this program and its tradition.

You are low, and overcome with jealousy and hatred.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

You and I are rarely on opposite sides of the fence, and I respect you, so I will start by saying I am sorry and wish we were not at odds.

But...

If he had recruited the entire country, and pissed off Dean the way Larry did, stripping Danny out from under Dean, then I reckon I would be writing that Roy was one of the best coaches KU ever had that won a ring, or two, and I would not be talking about an asterisk.

And win, lose, or draw, once Roy retires and stops trying to raid KU's backyard for players like Tyrel Reed, Harrison Barnes, and Perry Ellis, and god only knows who all else, well, then I will be ready to bury the hatchet and have him sit and pose in a crimson and blue tie with a navy blue sport coat for a really distinguished oil painting of one of the games great coaches, which is what Roy is, when he isn't trying desperately to out recruit us in a way he never did when recruiting for KU against UNC.

All of us asking for equity from Roy, while he is still working are low? I don't think so. Though his job description probably lacked a fiduciary clause, it should have had one.

All of us asking for equity from Roy, while he is still working are overcome with jealousy and hatred? I don't feel jealous. And I don't feel hatred. I just want him to extend us the same curtesy he extended Dean and UNC. I just want him to recruit west of the Mississippi for the rest of his coaching career. Why is that too much to ask? He did it for 15 years for Dean and UNC. Why can't he do it for the remainder of his career at UNC?

Period.

Krohnutz 2 years, 5 months ago

This is a good post. Usually I make fun of your novels, but this is sort of how I feel about it. I feel like we got 95% of Roy, while UNC gets 100% of Roy. And it never should have been that way.

kckuguy 2 years, 5 months ago

Where is "Kansas University", Well, it is real close to that place we all call "KU". Is that your biggest pet project, griping about what some have called our university longer than you have been alive. You sound like an inmature antler. GO KU ! You want to call us U of K ? I repeat.... GO KU !

Shawn Otrimble 2 years, 5 months ago

Again Jaybate, you spew out some stupidity. Roy was great for Kansas as was Kansas great for Roy. He went home period. Everything has worked out just fine. I wish North Carolina well tonight and hope we get to play them Sunday. What a great time to be a Jayhawk.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't hold anything against Roy. I don't really understand all the animosity. It sucks that he didn't win the championship at KU, and there was a lot of deception in his final days at KU (which sucked), and and it sucks even more that he won two championships at UNC (one of those was just two seasons after he left KU).

But it worked out better for KU with Roy leaving. Even though he won a ton of games and had an 81% winning percentage over 15 years at KU, Bill Self has also won a ton of games and boasts an 84% winning percentage over 9 years. Roy won 13 Big XII titles (both regular season and tourney), Self has also won 13 Big XII titles (both regular season and tourney) plus a national championship. Don't get me wrong, Roy did some great things at KU, but Self has surpassed him in just 9 years.

So keep your animosity towards Roy if you want, but I'm past that. I, for one, am elated that we got Bill Self, the most successful college bball coach since he came to KU. I can't fathom how anyone could ask for more than that!

Mo Mosallaei 2 years, 5 months ago

I guess I'm in the minority, but I love Roy too. Still love self more, and would not trade him by any means.

Krohnutz 2 years, 5 months ago

I cannot hate Roy, he was the "coach of KU" when I was a kid. I never liked Brown as much, never felt like his personality was there like Roy's.

With that said, I would take our current situation over the old days.

Point of argument one; Roy refused to recruit against his alma mater. If they put their name in the hat, Roy withdrew ours. When you are a kid you don't notice those things, but looking back, yeah it happened. I don't think that was the legit professional thing to do.

Point of argument two; a Roy Williams team defense is NOT a Bill Self team defense.

Point of argument three: a Roy Williams half court offense is NOT a Bill Self half court offense.

Point of argument four: Bill Self, if it is possible, has an even better sense of humor than Roy. Actually, I am not sure there is a funnier coach in college athletics.

I'm happy where we are at, and I am glad the OP recognizes that those years with Roy allowed us to stay relevant in a very competitive basketball landscape. If not for Roy, would we have taken Self from Illinois? Debatable.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Krohnutz,

I don't usually rattler your cage unless you rattle mine, but I feel I owe you one for some inane remark or other aimed at me by you the last month or two, and I immensely resent dufi like yourself calling people that resent Roy's failure to recruit equitably Roy haters.

Read my words: I don't ate Roy, so kiss my you-know-what!

Next, I don't care if you were suckled on Roy, or raised by wolves on the Tiber, there is a simple issue of recruiting inequity here. Nothing more.

It is impossible to say at this point if Self is a better coach than Roy. Roy has been wildly successful for a lot longer than Bill Self has been. They are at different stages of their careers. About all we can say now is that Roy has two rings and Bill has one. Bill could win one at KU, while Roy could not.

Down the road they are apt to be considered among the best coaches in their respective generations. But who knows how the future will play out for Bill Self right now. He still hasn't been at KU as long as Roy was. And Roy's had another 9 years on top of his 15 years at KU. Look at Roy's picture. He's not the boundlessly energetic young coach you remember. He's an old man with grey hair now. He has suffered through incredible personal losses of friends and family dying. He has left one place he loved for another place he loved more. Roy is practically a wise old man of coaching now.

Bill Self is, frankly, much closer to where Roy was a decade, maybe 15 years ago. Don't disrespect either exceptional coach by making false comparisons between them, given they are in such different stages of their careers.

Next, Roy inherited Mark Randall and some other good players (Larrry Brown has already clarified that when he said he did not exactly leave the cupboard bare) a program that had been back on the map for three years for sure and had won a ring with Brown and Manning. And the violation Brown caused was relatively minor. Roy probably would never have taken the KU job had it been 10-20 for each of the previous 4 years, or if he had, he would never have won 80 percent of his games that first 5-8 years. He took it because it was Kansas on an upswing and he would have been a moron to turn it down, just as Self would have been foolish to turn down KU because it had been on an upswing and just played in a national finals.

Krohnutz 2 years, 5 months ago

You need to stay off cocaine. That you think I "disrespect" Roy is pretty much insane.

In one post you flame Roy, in the other post you flame somebody for flaming Roy.

In another post you feel like Roy is a better coach than Self. In the next post you defend Roy from those who would say that Self is a better coach.

So let me make sure anybody not bipolar reading this understands; Bill Self is a better KU coach than Roy Williams was. We get all of Bill, we didn't get all of Roy.

Jaybate, get off the drugs, stop writing novels, and stop arguing just to argue.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Well, Krohnutzo,

I stuck the needle in you pretty deep.

Let's see....

Lame-arsed drug accusations. Check.

Whimpering "insane" accusation. Check.

Half witted distortion of my take on Roy and Bill betraying half formed neural nets. Check

Typical non-thinker responses, when being forced to think. Check.

Now, we can get on with your education. :-)

First, when posting to me you don't just get to say your male bimbo titrating down from a bad Janet stuff and get a pass. You're not the least bit verbally hard, or intellectually tough, so forget that pitiful one-nut cyber act.

Second, your job (and all of ours for that matter) in the user agreement is to at least imitate a vertebrate mammal, not advise others on what length they ought to overwhelm the apparent pin brain between your ears with...be it short or long, non-fiction, or novel, epic couplet, or Norse saga format. Capice?

You just type you quaint, apparently magical thoughts about what you think about KU basketball and leave others to their own devices, because, well, because:

a) its a free country;

b) no one needs your assistance on deciding what length to write, and

c) frankly, you don't exhibit enough volts of brain power so far to power a cell phone.

Next, your ability to perceive ambiguities and contradictions in other person's thinking appears on a par with a jackrabbit's capacity to discern whether Celine wrote Saturday Live sketches or Journey to the End of the Night.

So: all I am asking is that you continue to write down to your own level, but stop drug smears and half-witted distortions of what I say; that can't be too much to ask, even of you, can it?

Now, let's dispense with your self-humiliating impressions of analytical deminimis, and let's cheer those Jayhawks, shall we? :-)

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Also, Roy Williams plays exactly the kind of defense that is right for his offense and his strategy of seeking a high possession game. Bill Self plays exactly the right kind of defense for his offense and his strategy of 70-point take what they give us. If you've been watching basketball as long as you say you have, you ought to flipping know that by now.

Your degree of happiness has little bearing on things, but I can at least say I am happy you are happy.

Finally, where would we have been without Roy? I used to wonder that, too, until I realized how few basketball rich programs there are in the country, and how few ever come off four years like KU had with Brown and the ring. KU would have hired another exceptional coach, probably one with a ton more experience than Roy, and probably one that would have recruited the entire country; that's who.

No one is indispensable. No one. Not Roy. Not Bill. And they both know it, even if you don't.

Sorry to be so terse, but, well, it seems to be how you like to do it sometimes, and I wanted to make sure the message got through.

Rock Chalk!

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 5 months ago

Good grief. Words fail me. Good luck, Roy.

poet008 2 years, 5 months ago

If Roy really loved us, we'd be in the ACC right now.

If KU was smart, it would continue to play Mizzou and pray it could lead to SEC invite.

For the life of me, I can't understand why KU has chosen to cling to the Evil Axis of OU/ OSU/ Texas.

Talk about Stockholm Syndrome!!!

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Well, its so great to finally have serial alias joint the thread. We don't get enough serial aliases here, do we?

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Gee, I bet an alias named poet008 is credible and not a lurker.

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Next.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Hey, I almost forgot to offer you some more serial alias suggestions:

poet008 poet009 poet010 poet011 poet012 ...poetn where n approaches infinity.

That about covers it.

Boy, I can hardly wait to read more penetrating, authentic stuff by you.