Thursday, March 22, 2012

KU arrives in St. Louis focused on Wolfpack

Kansas coach Bill Self greets several young Jayhawk fans following a brief interview with media members as the team arrives on Wednesday, March 21, 2012, at the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch.

photo

Kansas guard Travis Releford waves to a gathering of Jayhawk fans as the team arrives on Wednesday, March 21, 2012, at the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch.

— Kansas University’s basketball charter bus pulled directly in front of the Hyatt Regency at the Arch Hotel at 7:45 p.m. Wednesday in the heart of downtown St. Louis.

The Jayhawk players were greeted by about 20 youngsters and their parents, who cheered wildly as they picked up their room keys and headed to the elevators to drop off their gear before returning to the lobby for a dinner excursion to Ruth’s Chris Steak House, located just down the block on Chestnut Street.

Coach Bill Self said his Jayhawks were hungry — not only for a delicious meal, but a Sweet 16 victory over North Carolina State (9:17 p.m. Friday, Edward Jones Dome).

“One thing I like about our guys: We’re not concerned about anything other than us and N.C. State, to be candid with you,” Self said. “I’m really proud of our guys. They’ve come together well. Thomas (Robinson) has played great. Tyshawn (Taylor) has become great. But it’s Elijah (Johnson), Jeff (Withey), Travis (Releford), Conner (Teahan) ... those guys have elevated their game and given us a chance. We haven’t been a team that very many times has had five guys hitting on all cylinders. We’ve kind of had to piece it together. One thing these guys have done, they’ve been pretty tough.”

Self was asked if he liked the fact the Jayhawks were flying under the radar with the media occupied over the status of North Carolina guard Kendall Marshall, who broke his hand in the Tar Heels’ second-round victory over Creighton.

No. 1 seed UNC plays Ohio at 6:47 p.m. Friday in the first game of the Sweet 16 doubleheader.

“Once you get this far, you are going to play good teams regardless moving forward,” Self said. “If you are fortunate enough to play a second game this weekend — us or N.C. State — they’re going to play a good team whoever that is. I think for Kansas fans, it adds to the flavor a bit having Carolina in town. I don’t think it’s a big deal like it used to be.”

KU beat former Jayhawk coach Roy Williams’ North Carolina Tar Heels in a Final Four semifinal in 2008.

Self was also asked about Missouri of all teams during a media gathering at the team hotel.

“You know what ... why talk about Missouri? They’re not playing here. We’re playing here, not Missouri,” Self said of the team that dropped a first-round game to Norfolk State. “That’s not a knock to them. That’s the tournament. It’s crazy. A lot of things can happen. I’m focused on what we do, not what anybody else is doing or has done.

“I really don’t anticipate a lot of Mizzou fans to be at the game, to be honest with you,” he added, asked if the MU fans would root against KU. “That’s one thing I think has been blown up more so. We are not concerned about Mizzou or their fans. We’ve got a job to do, and that’s to get Kansas ready to play. That’s our only focus.

“I’d think we’d have a great turnout of fans over here. We play late enough on Friday that fans who work a majority of the day could still get here.”

Remembering Wolfpack: Self was a graduate assistant on coach Larry Brown’s KU staff the only time KU has played N.C. State in the NCAA Tournament. KU won, 75-67, on March 23, 1986, at Kemper Arena in Kansas City.

“I was a grad assistant but I wasn’t high enough on the totem pole to sit on the bench. I was sitting in the stands,” Self said. “It was a great game, an Elite Eight game in Kemper Arena. Hopefully there will be a similar result this time.”

Self on N.C. State: “N.C. State is so athletic, so talented. They are deserving to be here and playing really well right now.”

Self on KU’s women’s team, which plays Tennessee in the Sweet 16 on Saturday: “It’s great. How ’bout that? They go from being nervous whether or not they are going to get in (tournament) to winning two games. I saw a stat ... only two other programs in the country have both teams in the Sweet 16 (Baylor, Kentucky). That’s really cool. I’m really happy for our women. They work hard. They’ve had an unbelievable string of bad luck with injuries. It’s good to see it all come together for them.”

This, that: The Jayhawks will hold a shootaround from 3:10 to 4 p.m. today at Edward Jones Dome. ... KU players watched the movie “Mission Impossible” on the team bus Wednesday.

Hinson tied to Southern Illinois job: Southern Illinois University has offered former Illinois coach Bruce Weber its head coaching job, a source told ESPNChicago.com.

If Weber declines, SIU may turn to Kansas University director of basketball operations Barry Hinson, Vanderbilt assistant Dan Muller, Marquette assistant Tony Bedford or Gonzaga assistant Ray Giacoletti, the website said. ESPN said Hinson has interviewed for the job.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 6 months ago

”Hello… how bout that ride in? I guess thats why they call it Sin City haha. You guys might not know this but I consider myself a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one man wolf pack. But when my sister brought Doug home, I knew he was one of my own. And my wolf pack, it grew by one. So there… there was two of us in the wolf pack. I was alone first in the pack and Doug joined in later. And six months ago, when Doug introduced me to you guys I thought “wait a second, could it be?” And now I know for sure, I just added two more guys to my wolf pack. Four of us wolves, running around the desert together in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine.”

yates33333 2 years, 6 months ago

Quit bragging. No one, No one, would join an organization you belong to.

Note2Self 2 years, 6 months ago

Plus One... Here's hoping the Wolfpack lose a few teeth and don't know what hit them after Friday Night. Wird to the Birds!

Chris Shaw 2 years, 6 months ago

Apherse: Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! You definitely deserve the hat trick on that one buddy! As soon as you said, "I tend to think of myself as a one man wolf pack"..........................I had to go and watch The Hangover! Bravo indeed young fella as Bill Rafterty would say!

kufaninmo 2 years, 6 months ago

does anyone realize that Zach Galifianakis went to NC State? what a coinky-dink

KULA 2 years, 6 months ago

This game shouldn't even be close. NC State was one of the last four in. Go out there and treat 'em like a fifth place team in a two team conference.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 6 months ago

They are a sweet 16 team who gave Duke and UNC a run for their money. Its a good team who is very immature, don't bank on a blow out. Remember VCU was a last 4 in and they went to the final four. Mizzou was a 2 seed and Duke both lost to 15. No team is a walk in the park anymore.

KULA 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, VCU is exactly what I'm remembering.

Kye Clark 2 years, 6 months ago

I disagree. They may have been one of the last four in, but that's based on the body of work. Right now they are hot, and they have some talent on their roster. I hope it's not close, but that is not my expectation.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 6 months ago

It will be close. Anyone in the Sweet 16 is dangerous.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 6 months ago

Obviously you don't follow College BBall. If you did,. you would know that, if not for the refs, NC State would have beaten UNC in the ACC Tournament.

NC State is a team that has gotten a lot better late in the season and cannot be taken lightly.

If KU looks past this game, it will get a big surprise.

Jackalope7 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, NC State is a legit team. When you look at they're stats, it boggles the mind as to how they lost 12 games this year. Like I've said all season, I believe KU is a Sweet 16 team. Anything more is a plus. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong. RCJH!

HawkKlaw 2 years, 6 months ago

I hope you're right, but this is the Sweet 16. They are playing well enough right now to be one of the last 16 teams still in the tourney. It's not a guaranteed victory. NC State is dangerous.

gdkadjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Wasn't KULA just being sarcastic...? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

jayhawkinmullen 2 years, 6 months ago

KU arrives in St. Louis focused on getting out. Man I hate anything Missouri.

Chris Bruning 2 years, 6 months ago

NC State is the equivelant to KU women right now....

RJ King 2 years, 6 months ago

If that's the case, then their point guard scares me.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 6 months ago

NC State is playing well, has a good team, but KU can definitely win this game by a large margin if they play an excellent game. I like the part with Coach talking about how KU usually hasn't had the whole team firing on all cylinders. It's not his first team to be that way, several teams in the past have had guys standing around on offense. If these guys can all feel comfortable taking advantage of openings the offense provides them, if it could be more natural for EJ to drive when he gets the ball with his man out of position or TRel to shoot that bankshot when the ball comes around and he's open, Withey to be ready to finish strong when he's in position, they can still be better than anything we've seen from them yet this year I think. Throw in guys like KYo, Tharpe knocking down a 3 with confidence against Purdue, Conner doing a nice job of getting set for 3s off the kickouts (just needs to be willing to shoot that pump-fake pull-up J again though! Driving behind the basket against Purdue was not working for him). I think that's why KYo has been so great at times, he comes in, if he gets the ball and has an advantage he tries to use it whether it's just from our normal ball movement or a TT drive or TRob passing out of a double team, he's always looking for how it makes it easier for him to contribute to the offense. TT drives, he always cuts, TRob getting doubled and he's great at making himself available.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

" I think for Kansas fans, it adds to the flavor a bit having Carolina in town. I don’t think it’s a big deal like it used to be. "

I can't speak for any of the rest of you, but it's still a big deal for me.

My idea of a great basketball day - KU wins. Missouri, K-State, Duke & North Carolina lose.

NH_JHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

I agree. The thought of playing UNC at anytime, especially in the NCAA tournament, is a big deal for me as well. I would add UK to your list of losers though. Listed in my order of "hate factor" (least to most): K-State > Syracuse > UNC > Duke > UK > Mizzwho? Other than Mizzery, I cant think of another team besides UK that I despise so much!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

I DO love it when Kentucky loses - especially the last few years, but for some reason, i just don't have the hatre....mmmmm extreme dislike for them that I do those other teams.

But, I'm a quick learner.

Those backwoods, moonshine drinking, toothless, sister marrying, illiterate scumbags. And that's just the coaching staff.

And any hopes Ashley Judd had of marrying me just went down the tubes. Skank.

Ok - I hate them now.

Add them to the list !!

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

That's my exact order except Sucky and Misery are in a tie at the top. Right now Sucky may even have the lead because they are having success, and every time I see them with some positive coverage I just grind my teeth.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 6 months ago

All that hate's gonna burn you up kid

My hate is reserved for Missouri, Duke and Syracuse, and it's plenty to keep me warm, but after this year I think the hatred for Misery will die off over the next 5 years. I didn't think I could reach the point of hating a team more than Missouri or Duke, but now that MU is out of the conference and both lost to a #15 seed in the first round, Syracuse is actually at the top of my list of most hated teams with Duke a very close second. '96 was a joke, John Wallace being treated better than Michael Jordan by the refs, Otis Hill aka Over-your-back Hill all game long and still nothing compared to 2003 where the refs cost Keith Langford who knows how many millions by blatantly fouling out the offensive juggernaut that owned the 2-3 zone to give Boeheim the title people must've thought they owed him and make 'Melo a superstar in order to compete with Lebron's fame. Then you throw in whatever kinky crap has transpired over the years to the list of reasons to hate 'Cuse. I actually also had a female roommate that babysat for Jimmy B, said he was a real a-hole, but his wife was nice. Had that not been the details of their relationship we would never have been roommates. Do I like UNC, nope, when Dean Smith was coaching there I always wanted to see him do well, since then and especially since we all know how much easier it is for Roy to win a title there with lesser talent than at KU (no more obvious display of east coast bias than the '05 team actually getting out of the elite eight). I definitely dislike UNC but still not as much as my top 3.

danmoore 2 years, 6 months ago

If Kentucky loses I think the one and done recruiting strategy has proven to be a failed experiment.

saad007 2 years, 6 months ago

u forgot one man......the one every jayhawk currently hates

Ben Kane 2 years, 6 months ago

not so much as big a deal for me anymore since i've been living in Kensucky for the last few years.. my unc hate has definitely shifted here.

floridajayhawks 2 years, 6 months ago

Is it a big deal we are playing Coach Roy? No. Is it a big deal we are playing UNC? Yes

Chad Dexter 2 years, 6 months ago

One game at a time, dude. If KU doesn't win on Friday then it doesn't matter.

PVJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Or how about this:

KU wins. Missouri, K-State, Duke, Kentucky & North Carolina lose

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

Throw in Michigan State and Syracuse and there'll be dancing in the streets in "Larry, K!!"

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

"We Hold These Truths to Be Self-Evident..."

Ratso Izzo losing would be tantamount to Elliot Ness getting Capone.

It doesn't matter how Ratso loses.

It only matters that he does lose.

Last season was borderline heaven, because he did so poorly.

My vision for the Fighting 332rd, however, runs through UNC, then Michigan State, then Kentucky for the ring.

I haven't even looked at the brackets to know if it is possible, but that is the vision that I have borne since mid season.

I don't know how any team could fight through such a murderer's row, but since about mid season I have labored with this vision of the eventual playing out of this season. It is as clear as a bell. And if it is not one of these three foes, then it will be one of equivalent basketball evil.

I wish anything that our guys had an easier road to hoe.

But when the good guys really do finally have to win it all to turn a high tide of sewage, they invariably, after a bit of luck, have to pass through a murderer's row to reconsecrate the game.

The Lawrence Airmen are playing for all of us now, not just the team, not even just Jayhawk nation.

They are playing for everyone who was not selected for some honorary award, for some shot at a good team, or job, but who went on to fight through that and achieve excellence and become good at what they do.

They are fighting now for all of us, all of us who have either had that experience, or are now living through it.

They are fighting for those that have been beaten by bias, by ignorance, by conventional thinking, but that would have won had they just had a bit more support, just a few more resources, just someone who believed in them and took a chance on them.

And you know what?

That is most of us on God's green earth at one time or another in our lives.

The Lawrence Airmen are out to prove the Mickey D thing is a myth.

And so indirectly they are out to prove that this is America still.

They are out to prove that it is what you do, not what some "judges"say that counts

They are out to prove that persons can still become what they aspire to be, despite all the downward forces being plied on this great nation I love as much as KU basketball.

They have proven already they are part of the 16.

Each game they win is sweet vindication for all of us.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident..."

Alohahawk 2 years, 6 months ago

MSU lost to Louisville, by 13 points. One #1 seed bites the dust.

Syracuse pulled out a one point win, barely surviving a last second shot by Wisconsin.

Things are heating up for the top seeds.

addlime 2 years, 6 months ago

Dook and Mizzery! Should have bought a lottery ticket last Friday.

RockChalk0808 2 years, 6 months ago

I also agree. UNC will always have special implications, not just because of Roy but also because of their history as a fellow college bball blue blood. Same with Kentucky. It's a historical rivalry that's only added to by the presence of the traitorous Benedict Williams. After 08 I do wish Roy the best but it's always a special matchup.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

nuleaf,

I would only add seeing Ben Howland lose. And I wish he weren't at UCLA. I like UCLA. I always have. It creates some dissonance in me that Howland is stinking up UCLA. I like to see him lose, but I like to see UCLA do well.

I don't know why, but I have come to enjoy Howland losses a great deal. :-)

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

jaybate,

That's funny (not ha-ha funny, but the other one) because I feel the same way. I've always had respect for UCLA because of John Wooden, but the "new" UCLA - not so much. And I really dislike Howland too, but I can't pinpoint why. He just looks like a bad man to me.

Judge not, lest ye be judged huh? Oh well.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 6 months ago

nuleaf, I don't agree with you on UCLA and John Wooden. Saint John chose to look the other way to some of the biggest violations in college BBall. Any other program with a different coach would have been given the death penalty by the NCAA.

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/feature/college-basketball-history-2009 http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/08/sports/la-sp-0609-wooden-gilbert-20100609

After you read the links, you will see that the "old" UCLA makes the "new" look like pikers.

Just sayin'

Steve Brown 2 years, 6 months ago

You know why, for one he coaches to foul hard the last 3 seconds of the game knowing that refs swallow the whistle and the game where they didn't he went all blitzho on us....

Bennie is one that stretches all the rules would be a fun tax return to audit.

REHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Coach, thanks for rising to the bait, offering up a dandy eulogy to the dead antlers with stripes. In the future, in regard (oops, had to correct spelling and replace that "t") to the Missouri Tigers, I think I will choose the Bob Knight styleform and refer to them as "that team which crawled to the SEC." Or, just as appropriately, "dead antlers." But wait: did they actually crawl...or slink...or run?
Perhaps MissouriCat (AntlerCat?) could clarify.

Alohahawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Beat me to just about everything I would have said.

My favorite line from the interview with Self: "You know what...why talk about Missouri? They're not playing here. We're playing here, not Missouri." Subtle? Maybe. Honest? Definitely. Candid? As always. Just remember, KU can (indirectly) thank Mizzery, because they hired Queeny Snyder, and not Self. And they wonder why anything that includes the word "Losers" has Mizzery in small print at the bottom.

As for B. Knight's snubbing of Kenstinky, I'm surprised ESPN hasn't forced him to show a little respect (Not that Cal Lie Pari deserves any.) Networks have to be careful what their repreentatives say (or don't say) and do just the same as any well known public individual has to. Knight may be a little over the hill, but (just as that insurance ad now airing accurately illustrates) he is still a crusty old salt who could have portrayed Captain Ahab on the Pequod. Right or wrong, in his own mind he'll do it the way he sees it. And nobody dares to disagree with him.

Ben Kane 2 years, 6 months ago

bob knight is more like the whale.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 6 months ago

Why do teams watch movies that are reported to the public with titles that seem to be so "media-ripe" for interpretation? Seriously, Mission IMPossible? Why not something with a less negative or even neutral title? Regardless of the nature and content of the movie, the title could sound like a prediction, although innocently conceived. With such srutiny in the media over every word and expression players and coaches exhibit during these times, it would seem that more concern would be given to such otherwise trivial details.

I was on a flight one time just after the movie Twister came out. They chose to run that movie on the flight. Maybe it was just me, but I felt like it was a bit ironic with the plane going through turbulance and watching cows and cars being thrown through the air in the movie. Possibly nothing here is that much connected to the Mission Impossible film choice for a team watching while travelling to a tournament venue. But, irony and perception are interesting, nonetheless.

Ben Kane 2 years, 6 months ago

they showed a lot of movies when i went on a cruise a few months ago, one of them was Titanic. I couldn't believe it.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 6 months ago

Did you see that they're re-releasing Titanic in 3D? Sweet, now a new generation of young females can go watch Leo in his prime 8 times in the theater. Can you say cash grab?

jhawkminer 2 years, 6 months ago

How about the movie Airplane when they were showing the clips of the airplane crashes as the in-flight movie?

Mike Kendall 2 years, 6 months ago

How about "Speed," the movie about the bus, since the Jayhawks took a bus.

RockChalk0808 2 years, 6 months ago

I always wondered who would pay attention to something so trivial and pointless. Turns out, you're the guy. The players don't give a tiger what movie is watched on the bus, and they're the only ones that matter. I'll also point out that the movie is inspirational as he pulls off his impossible mission.

kansas25 2 years, 6 months ago

It's not Kansas University. You can't change it LJW!

jayhawkinmullen 2 years, 6 months ago

Your fighting a losing battle brosepth.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 6 months ago

I agree, it bugs the crap outta me. But when you think about it, the basketball program is a completely different entity than the school, so I just pretend that Kansas University is the basketball side of the University of Kansas, if that makes any sort of sense.

But seriously, it's in every article. And like jayhawkinmullen said, it's not going to stop.

Danny Hernandez 2 years, 6 months ago

I like that EJ is finally adding the "driving with the ball in the paint" to his arsenal.

That coast to coast drive against Purdue with and 1 is what he can and should be doing in the game...that can help pull these double teams away from TRob. With TT & EJ not only dangerous from outside the arc but with the ball in their hands with the ability to get into the paint, oh man, Kansas just became that much more dangerous.

Opens up the passes to Conner for 3 point attempts.

This team is coming together.......RCJH

tomkeegslovechild 2 years, 6 months ago

Pretty good article about HCBS in today's Wichita Eagle. Like Bob Lutz or not, it's a pretty good article.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, I read the article. What some of Jayhawk Nation doesn't know is that Lutz picked Missouri in the Sweet 16 back in October. He didn't pick KU in the Sweet 16--LOL.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

There is no "Self" in "selfish"...it has been, is and always will be, about the team.

This year's squad is the epitome of the phrase, "Greater than the sum of it's parts."

There was an article in today's St.Louis Post-Dispatch which describes a 90 year old native Kansas women now a St.Louis resident who knew Dean Smith's family in Kansas and cheers for UNC except when they play Kansas.

During the Purdue/Kansas game on Sunday, she was yelling so loud for the Jayhawks that the neighbors almost called the police, fearing for her life.

All you Jayhawks going to the game on Friday.....remember that dear lady...and yell your friggin' lungs out for our Hawks!!!!!!

REHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

At the close of that Purdue game, when Tyshawn raced downcourt to dunk the ball, there was such a roar among the seven viewers in our living room, that I feared for a shattering of our picture windows. And as a merry addendum, we actually have spent the week repairing shingles on our roof, precisely in the location above our television and seating area! My neighbor says it was the wind; but we know the real cause....

Alohahawk 2 years, 6 months ago

That 90 year old lady might be one of our regular posters? There is a "Sally... " something or other who posts here occasionally. I remember her mentioning she was going to the KU at MU game, and that she was a 90 year old grandmother or so. Is that you, Sally? Either way, keep up the "Rock Chalk" young lady. But don't over exert yourself too much.

Chad Dexter 2 years, 6 months ago

I wonder what dumb *** reporter asked Self about Missouri?

2 years, 6 months ago

Even money says it was Jack Harry :^)

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 6 months ago

Jack Harry now goes by the name of Jackie Harriet and has joined the clueless sports writers protection program...

omng392 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm going off pure memory here, but I belive NC State has a couple of McDonald's all americans. I was looking at rivals a few weeks back and have always wondered how they could get top 50 talent there with UNC and Duke right around the corner.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 6 months ago

We nearly didn't play NCState in the 1986 Elite 8. Interesting story here which I know some of you remember. http://articles.latimes.com/1986-03-23/sports/sp-5776_1_clock

Lance Hobson 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes, every time we play Michigan State one of their announcers has to make an obligatory comment about the clock. Don't know how we won that game.

Jim Valvano was great after that Elite 8 game, saying something like "All I hear is ROCK CHALK!!" commenting on the supposed neutral court.

Chad Smith 2 years, 6 months ago

Beating MISERY was the best part of the regular season for me the past 20 years. But now it's beating KSU and dominating them as usual. As far as non-con or tournament goes, beating UK,Duke, UCLA is always sweet and anytime we face UNC i'm going to be jacked for it. How could you not be? I'm not even talking about the Roy issue, just the fact that they are an elite program(please don't argue with me, they are) and we are an ELITE program and you want to beat the best. I get jacked anytime we face other high-tradition schools. It's a barometer and measuring stick and bragging rights about legacy and programs. I'm glad we've played newer midwest powers like Ohio State and Michigan State in recent seasons. I think we should also play more big east teams as well in non-con if we can because they play a tough style of basketball that would benefit us. I remember during the jacque vaughn era we played a won a game at UCONN when they had richard hamilton. I'd like to see us play them, or a syracuse( i hate you mcnamara) or louisville during the regular season. It'd be good for both schools.

Chad Smith 2 years, 6 months ago

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

Tell me the woman that is your avatar goes to KU.

If she's a celeb, I don't recognize her.

Tell me she is not just some model.

If she were a KU co-ed, I don't see how KU could ever lose a recruit. :-)

FarSideHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Looks like Elisha Cuthbert. Is that her?

deepind 2 years, 6 months ago

Scary? Or not? :) KU is the favorite to reach the Final Four from the MidWest region! 8 of the 13 talking heads (ESPN analysts/experts) pick KU.

Joe Baker 2 years, 6 months ago

2012 PF and Kansas signee Perry Ellis (Wichita Heights/Wichita, KS) was named the Kansas Gatorade Player of the Year for the fourth straight time this morning. Ellis is the first player to win the award four straight years. Ellis is also a four time State Champion, four time All-State selection and has maintained a perfect 4.0 GPA for four straight years. Congrats Perry! (theshiver)

Simply Outstanding. Perry Ellis is truly a truehawk in every way: born, reared and educated in the great state of Kansas. There's no place like home.

All young high school athletes need to take note because it can be done. You can play and be great on the court and in the classroom.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

In that case, give him #4 and lets win four NCAA Championships!!!!!!!

Alohahawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Mahalo for the imfo. truehawk93. Answered my question about the Gatorade award from the other day. Congratulations, Mr Ellis. Well done.

Is there any internet link to read further details about Ellis receiving it?

KansasComet 2 years, 6 months ago

Should be a good game. NC State has big guards. I hope we rebound well.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 6 months ago

I guess with MU losing the meth business is booming. All the money from hocking the single wides for the trip to "Zou Orleans" is now being used to buy meth to ease the pain and humiliation from being owned by Norfolk State.

And I bet your business logo is:

'We not only make the stuff, we are our best clients"

Which means that after you smoke the profits, you will still be broke, a loser and more importantly, you still will not be Kansas.

Ben Kane 2 years, 6 months ago

nothing like a fresh reminder every now and then of why we are so glad to be rid of you.

Ben Kane 2 years, 6 months ago

Lance Hobson 2 years, 6 months ago

I love the ZouOrleans website. As Bill Murray once said on Groundhog Day: "What an incredible waste of time!" In this case, waste of money and hope, too. Mizzou has never made it to a Final 4 and never will.

Dan Harris 2 years, 6 months ago

Not sure how you figure were in over our heads again but you're at the bottom of the pond again sucking on the pond scum that your so accustomed to, enjoy it!

ajhk 2 years, 6 months ago

"Have been working on new contracts of new customers"

-need to be working on grammar, diction, and believable lies ...oh, and just maybe getting out of mom's basement.

kufreak1512 2 years, 6 months ago

Just got my tix for tomorrow night. Dead center 15 rows up. Rock Chalk!