Friday, March 16, 2012

Keegan

Titans ‘flying high’

— Detroit Mercy point guard Ray McCallum Jr., the coach’s son, brings the leadership qualities and basketball instincts stereotypical of a coach’s son.

He also brings so much leaping ability he placed second in the 2010 McDonald’s All-American dunking competition. The winner? Josh Selby. The name rings a vague, almost silent, bell, but I can’t quite place him.

Anyway, McCallum ranks second on his current team as a dunker, but it’s a far more distant second.

“I’ve never seen anyone with Doug Anderson’s athletic ability,” McCallum said of Anderson, the 6-foot-6 Titans forward. “What you guys have seen in games, I mean, it’s nothing compared to what we’ve seen in practice.”

Advised 6-10, 270-pound Indiana transfer Eli Holman: “Watch our practice. He might put on a show for you.”

Good idea.

“Hey 23,” a young fan standing in the front row hollered toward the layup line. “Go between your legs.”

Anderson never looked into the stands, but he did go between his legs and throw one down. If that ranked an 8.5, the 10 came at the end of practice. Anderson got up so high and came down with such force on a windmill that a screw popped out of the basket. Holman picked up the screw and explained that the power of his earlier dunk loosened it. (It reminded me of what I told my sister when she opened a jar I couldn’t: “Yeah, but I loosened it up for you.”)

Dunk competitions lead to credit-grabs, but individual competitions don’t change basketball teams. Holman articulated a far more meaningful factor in finishing the season with 10 victories in 11 games.

“We bought into the defensive system,” Holman said. “Our team was usually a little more offensive, but we bought into a defensive mind-set.”

Holman rattled off the defensive contributions of a handful of teammates, including 6-10 center LaMarcus Lowe, who averages 2.2 blocked shots a game to go with Holman’s 1.4 blocks.

“He’s so long he can block shots standing on his tip-toes,” Holman said of Lowe. “When you have the kind of players we have and they all buy into the same program and are not playing to their individual talents, you can play with any team in the country. But you have to stay humble. Once you get out of that humble mind-set and into arrogance, you’re going to fall apart as a team.”

Humble and confident, the perfect blend for team sports.

“It took our confidence straight through the roof,” Lowe said of the late-season surge. “It’s just like hitting 10 of your first 11 shots in a game. The rim looks like an ocean to you. You feel like you can shoot anything. You feel like you can take half-court shots and make them. We got hot at the right time. We’re coming in here flying high.”

Said Holman: “We’re trying to shock the world.”

Comments

kusportsdotcom 2 years, 6 months ago

Hey Tom, we get it. Detroit can jump high and dunk the ball. You've written multiple articles letting us know that.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

If this were a Nascar race he'd be telling us that they're going to turn left and go fast.

Doug Merrill 2 years, 6 months ago

Give it a rest. While you complain about his redundancy, you accomplish the same thing. Can we all just agree that we know you don't like his writing and from that point on, all you comment on is the content?

kufankam 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh my goodness! I am so sick of people complaining about people complaining that they complained about Keegan... Don't we have a game soon?!

Ryan Shelton 2 years, 6 months ago

I actually laughed out loud at the jab at what's his name and the comment about the jar lid. Take it easy on him. He's just doing his job. I say that the more articles that are written about my Jayhawks, the less I have to search other sites to get my fix.

Kent Richardson 2 years, 6 months ago

I think we are about to have a national player of the year sighting! Thomas needs to maintain. Teams have riled him a little bit the last month. Let it go.

Ian Brown 2 years, 6 months ago

"But you have to stay humble. Once you get out of that humble mind-set and into arrogance, you’re going to fall apart as a team...."

Uh.... Yeah, says the arrogant punk, Eli Holman, who earlier stated, "Robinson? I can handle Robinson. He has to handle me." That goes beyond "humble and confident," and reeks of arrogance, over-confidence, and further, a sheer lack of respect for his opponent.

Before tomorrow's, or rather, tonight's tip-off, I've only got one thing to say to Mr. Holman: In the famous words of Mr. Blonde, "Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?"

We'll see if he's still selling any wolf tickets after the final buzzer has sounded. I doubt it.

I know a lot of people are worried about this Detroit team, or rather, worried about whether or not our guys are going to come out prepared to play. Well, I'm not. I think our guys are going to be ready to stick it to them. The loss to Baylor, watching Mizzou hoist the Big 12 Tournament trophy, and listening to analysts (and future opponents) far and wide disrespect them during the last week will have lit a fire under their asses.

I'm saying the Jayhawks prevail 84-68.

Oh, and as for dunking, I'll put up the Prophet Elijah and B-Mac against RayMac and Doug Anderson anytime, any day, anywhere.

That's not at the end of practice... That's at the end of a GAME (albeit an all-star game).

melrank 2 years, 6 months ago

Never saw that EJ dunk video before - wow - thanks for posting.

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

Video PHOF! I haven't seen that dunk in years. Awesome.

Haven't seen Reservoir Dogs in many, many years. What a classic.

Good show brown.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 6 months ago

I have seen a lot of things in my day, but THAT WAS AWESOME!!! (all caps for the last part).

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

From all the press I've seen and heard, why are we bothering playing this game?

Give Detroit the W and let's go home.

Wait till next year..................

(sarcasm - but DANG)

Steve Reigle 2 years, 6 months ago

Kind of a harsh comment about Selby, TK. Josh Selby is a Jayhawk. He was only here for a year and with the injuries and eligibility issue we didn't get to see what he's capable of but he was and still is a Jayhawk. Let's not forget that. I, for one, am rooting for him to succeed in the NBA.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

Let Detroit have their 15 minutes of fame, then clobber them and send them back to the Horizontal League or wherever the heck they play!!

actorman 2 years, 6 months ago

I believe it's the Horizon League, as in we can see them disappearing into the Horizon after we crush them.

woodscolt 2 years, 6 months ago

Ok keegan, I guess we just don't even have a chance in this game. Sheesh.

Ryan Shelton 2 years, 6 months ago

Off-topic, but midway through the first half Texas only has 2 points.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

right on drgnslayr -

it definitely sounds better than "We're ordering a truckload of Depends, because we're all so excited we dont want to wee wee ourselves at midcourt."

(hope LJW doesn't ban that remark - it's 10 times worse than the one that they took down yesterday)

Bradly Moore 2 years, 6 months ago

This game is making me nervous.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

Flying high?

On what?

They want to fly high?

We will fly higher, then shoot them down.

Want to fly low?

We will fly lower, then shoot them down.

Want to put it in a holding pattern?

We will circle, then shoot them down.

We are going to play it anyway they want, then find their weakness, then cut the head off, then they die.

Next.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

Sorry for mixing metaphors, but it always comes back to cutting the head off and the body dies.

Kent Richardson 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes, but you make it sound much better.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

RayMac,

Tyshawn is going to take it to you and get your fouled up.

When you lay back, he is going to shoot over you.

When you are out of the game, he is going to blow past your sub.

When you come back in, he is going to drive you to glass.

When you get used to his speed, he is going to dish to our bigs that are going to throw it down.

When you try to stop him from dishing, your are going to foul out.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

I know Self won't do this, but tonight would be a great night to play some zone press to slow them down.

Why would it be such a great thing?

Wooden proved so long ago that, given even inferior players, when you use a zone press to slow an opponent down that you have the speed .to run on, you win ten national championships And because it would give future opponents something more to think about, something more to prepare for.

But Self doesn't like zone presses, so it probably will not happen.

Still, he showed it a bit last season.