Friday, March 16, 2012

Pay heed: Veteran Conner Teahan’s advice: Listen up

The Jayhawks and head coach Bill Self look up with anticipation as they follow a half-court shot from a player at the end of practice on Thursday, March 15, 2012 at Century Link Center in Omaha.

— Conner Teahan, the only remaining Kansas University basketball player to clip the nets after the 2008 national title game, has shared with his 2011-12 teammates the secret to winning it all.

“Listen to coach (Bill) Self and get into what he says and get into the team concept,” Teahan, a 6-foot-6 senior shooting guard out of Kansas City (Mo.) Rockhurst, said of the formula for postseason success. “We have so many talented players, you listen to what he has to say. Obviously, he has a good game plan in terms of defense, offense ... listen to what he has to say because sometimes we’ve had problems with that in the past.”

The Jayhawks, who by all accounts have had a great few days of practice following Friday’s loss to Baylor in the semifinals of the Big 12 tournament, begin the NCAAs tonight in the same building the Jayhawks opened the ’08 NCAA run.

No. 2-seeded KU will meet No. 15-seed Detroit at 8:57 p.m. at CenturyLink Center. The winner advances to a Sunday game against either Purdue or St. Mary’s, with that victor advancing to the Sweet 16 the following Friday in St. Louis.

“I don’t know how many similarities there are (between now and ’08). That team was so balanced in terms of scoring. We have two guys primarily our offensive people,” Teahan said of Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor. “Defensively, that team was great. That’s what this team needs to do if we want to go far. If we can look back to some of those games, understand how hard they played defensively (in ’08), it’d help us out.”

Teahan has taken bit of a trip down memory lane this week. The Jayhawks are staying at the same hotel they bunked in ’08 — Embassy Suites. On Thursday, they practiced at the same high school they practiced at in ’08 — Omaha Central.

They did occupy a different locker room for Thursday’s media session ... the same hallway as in ’08, though.

“I’ve was always very excited going into other (NCAA) Tournaments, especially as the 1 seed,” said Teahan, who this year is a 2 seed after being a 1 in 2008, ’10 and ’11.

“I realize now that this is it,” he added of his final go-around. “I was looking at a bracket the other day and said, ‘I used to fill these out as a kid, and now I have an opportunity to play in one, and I’ve not really had the opportunity my first four years (as seldom-used sub or red-shirt).’ I just want to do whatever I can to help this team go as far as we can. I have a bad taste in my mouth after the Big 12 tournament. I want us to get out there and play well.”

Teahan and fellow senior Taylor were so upset following the Baylor game, they called a team meeting Saturday.

“It was just the players after we watched film,” Teahan said of the locker-room session. “(We talked about) just how everybody has to take care of their job, listen to coach Self because he is right and make sure we are a team the next couple weeks because we feel we can play with anybody in the nation.”

Today, KU meets a Detroit team (22-13) led by sophomore guard Ray McCallum, a former McDonald’s All-American recruited by KU and other powerhouse programs. Despite the presence of McCallum, Detroit is a double-digit underdog today.

“I think it’d be a lie to say there weren’t a little bit of nerves going out there at first, especially when you are such a high seed going against a low seed. You see upsets happening,” Teahan said. “If we play like we know we can play and respect our opponent, things will work out. There are some nerves. I think that’s natural for all teams.

“I think we got a little lackadaisical (last year in Elite Eight against No. 11 seed VCU). We thought we had already made it to the Final Four. We didn’t have to play many high seeds. If we focus on what we do and practice the way we’ve been practicing, I think we’ll be all right.”

Taylor, who likely will guard McCallum some tonight, respects the 6-2 floor general who averages 15.6 points a game with 138 assists against 79 turnovers.

“They will go as far as he takes them. They go as he goes,” Taylor said. “My job as defender is to cut the head off, basically, make shots for him as hard as possible, frustrate him. I’m sure he’s saying the same thing about me.”

The Horizon League tourney champs have four other scorers averaging in double figures.

“We’ve got to put our heads down and play,” Taylor said. “After all the media and the shoot-arounds, it’s still ’ball. I want this to be the longest run and make this last as long as possible because it’s my last time for sure. I’m excited for that and just playing.

“If we come out and match their intensity and be as excited to play as they are, we’ll be fine,” Taylor added. “I think we can beat any team in the country if we come ready to play. If we turn it up defensively, rebound the ball well. I watched Syracuse (narrow victory for No. 1 seed over No. 16 UNC Asheville). They got off to a slow start, but they won. I’m sure we’ll go through some runs, stages it’ll look ugly. You’ve just got to play, man.”

KU coach Self said the Jayhawks appear focused and ready to go.

“We haven’t talked about the Baylor game one time. We talked about it a lot before the selection, but since the selection we haven’t,” Self said. “I know our guys’ eyes are definitely looking ahead and not behind.”

He said win or lose, they’ve entered the postseason with a healthy dose of respect for the first foe.

“Baylor and Missouri were two of the most athletic teams we play ... Detroit ranks right up there,” Self said. “After seeing them play, it’s shocking they are on the 15 line.”

Comments

Alohahawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Purdue beats St. Mary's by 1 point. With a Jayhawk win, they'll play Purdue.

So far, my brackets are about as far off as one can imagine. Wichita State, Mizzery, and Duke all lost their 1st games. But I almost got lucky, when I predicted Syracuse would lose.

ajhk 2 years, 1 month ago

One of my favorite tourney days ever. I just feel warm all-over. Maybe Puke and Misery could hook up and hang out together. I better watch myself and not have too great a celebration or they may show up at my door in the morning!

Jeremy Paul 2 years, 1 month ago

Rock Chalk. Give 'em hell boys.

Jeremy Paul 2 years, 1 month ago

It makes me even more nervous now, but Missouri and Duke within hours of each other. Amazing. What an evening!

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

first mizzou, now duke...god lives in e. lawrence I swear!

William Blake 2 years, 1 month ago

Little Billy: "Dad... where is Norfolk State? Idaho?"

Big Billy: (pause and blank stare) "Uh... yeah, son. Yeah."

Maybe Kim should have been considering his own identity before challenging KU fans.

Bye, Kimmie. Maybe I'll catch you in a game in Iceland while changing planes.

Norfolk State's first win of a ranked opponent as a D1 school! Couldn't have happened at a better time!

Bill Anthony 2 years, 1 month ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! If misery was staying in the Big 12 there would only be one line of HAHA. But they're not so HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Now, Jayhawks, go dominate Detroit.

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

o a d r i p have some fun in the s e c

jayhawkinmullen 2 years, 1 month ago

Breaking news.........

The SEC has decided to invite Norfolk State over the Missouri tigers. More to come.

amaldy 2 years, 1 month ago

Looks like at this year's ESPY's we have a new winner for "Upset of the Year" instead of us like the last few years! They finally have another legit shot at the final four and are knocked out by a fifteen seed that I've only heard of since they were announced on Selection Sunday!! Now let's go win tonight and make this day even sweeter!!

jayhawkinmullen 2 years, 1 month ago

Honestly I don't think this was an upset. If Mizzou would have won then it would have been an upset.

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

SEC= Sucka. Escape. Clause. (much needed right about now by MizzooCreatures) hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

Was that f***ing GREAT or what? Biggest upset in NCAA history? Damn right!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

Ahhhh, just back from a refreshing week in Florida and I step into the beauty of the NCAA tournament.

And we have one addition to MU's streak of misery.

As I said quite a ways back, we could enjoy Missouri's success because we know/knew it would end in failure. It is their destiny.

See, the build up was necessary. The anticipation. The wishing. The dreams.

All to be crushed.

It is so much better than if they were 20-11.

Beautiful.

nwhawkfan 2 years, 1 month ago

Winning is the best revenge. Let's go Jayhawks !

Brett Arnberger 2 years, 1 month ago

I guess at least now they don't have to worry about traveling out west. Kind of a stupid way forthe school to save money in travel expenses, but that's Mizzou for ya.
PS-thanks for the parting gift!!! RCJH!!

brooksmd 2 years, 1 month ago

ESPN says half the arena was filled with KU fans. Love it. No doubt the missery fans will leave to get home to take care of their meth labs or do their sisters. Man, whatever happens the rest of the dance is simply icing on the cake.

KansasComet 2 years, 1 month ago

Not the least bit concerned with Missouri. They are officially out of the Big XII. I am more concerned about KU winning tonight.

hawkmoon2020 2 years, 1 month ago

First Post!!

MIZZERY

Finish 2nd in Big 12 Conference by 2 games Win post season Big 12 Tourney Get ranked 3rd in the nation (currently) Get a #2 Seed in NCAA Championship Lose 1st game in NCAA to #15 ranked Norfolk , , , Priceless!!!

jayhawkinmullen 2 years, 1 month ago

MIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ajhk 2 years, 1 month ago

Haith is now on my Coach of the Year list. After a gift like that how could he not be among my favorites? Let the mutiny in mizzou begin!!

My prediction- Mizzou will NEVER make the Final Four!

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 1 month ago

I never expect much from the slavers and they don't disappoint.

I am going to guess that most every body's brackets took a hit....very much worth it though...

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I just knew this would be the year where Mizzou would finally snap their record string of tournament victories without a Final Four appearance.

SEC football starts in about 8 months; save up for bandages, Tigers!

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

"Some New I-70 Road Sign Suggestions:"

"Missouri--Losers to Norfolk Where?"

"Missouri--Welcome to the Beat Me State"

"Missouri--Welcome to the Land of Meth Chumps"

"Missouri--Home of the Anti-Champions"

"Missouri--Losers Everyway Possible"

"Missouri--Losers in Compromises, Civil Wars, Realignment and Sports"

"MIssouri--Choking Toward the SEC"

"Missouri--Never a Bride, Never a Bridesmaid, Never a Champion, Never Anything But Humiliated"

"Missouri--Clueless, Inbred and Upset"

"Missouri--Frank Haith Takes One Small Step Backward for Missouri, and One Hilarious Leap Backwards For Kansas"

"Missouri--Failures at Football, Failures at Basketball, But Champs at Meth"

Kick them while they are down.

You have to because they are always down!

nwhawkfan 2 years, 1 month ago

And a great big St. Paddy's Day "thank you" to Messrs. O'Quinn, McCauley, McEachin and the rest of those lanky leprechauns...

Mizzou's gone, Spartans advance. Now let's take care of the Titans and really enjoy tomorrow !

bballdiehard 2 years, 1 month ago

I, for one, am really surprised that Mizzou was so scared of the mere possibility of facing us in the championship game, that they decided to intentionally lose to Norfolk State. I mean, that was the reason they claimed KU lost to Baylor in the Big 12 tourney, so that must be why they lost today, right?

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh and its official, 08-09" Tigers > 11-12" Tigers

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 1 month ago

I had em losin to Florida next round anyway.

nwhawkfan 2 years, 1 month ago

Can you say "schadenfreude" ?

ajhk 2 years, 1 month ago

Bubye, Missery, have fun in the SEC losers!

nwhawkfan 2 years, 1 month ago

YYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

JayhawkEngineer94 2 years, 1 month ago

I had Mizzery in the final four in my bracket. Them losing and going down in history as one of the biggest upsets in NCAA history will be far more entertaining than winning a bracket contest.

Sad for the Big 12, but I guess I can consider them as good as SEC now just to make me feel better about it.

Now so long as we don't get a repeat from KU, all is good!

RC JH !!!

ajhk 2 years, 1 month ago

crap. how did o'quinn miss that?

ajhk 2 years, 1 month ago

i'm buying a norfolk state jersey! great day indeed!

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

MU is down three with 30 seconds to go.

What a great day!!!

Michael Auchard 2 years, 1 month ago

March Madness On Demand is not available here in Costa Rica. Anybody got any other way to watch our game tonight? Appreciate any help.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Question: what is wrong with the picture at the top of this story taken Thursday, March 15, the day before the game?

Answer: Travis Releford and Justin Wesley are not visible. Someone is standing behind Joe Dooley and someone is standing to Conner Teahan's left, outside partially beyond the right side of the picture. I can't tell if that is Travis behind Doolely. I hope it is. It looks too short for Justin. I can't tell who is at the right of the picture.

Significance: If the two unidentified figures are not Travis and Justin, does that mean they were sick and not at practice?

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

1. UDM's point guard is used to a decisive speed advantage, but vs. TT he will be at a speed disadvantage.

2. UDM's 2 and 3 men have never played against the kind of speed and length and strength EJ and Travis bring, if healthy.

3. UDM has never faced the kind of competition pre-conference, or in conference that KU has. It has not played basketball at the level of intensity that KU has grown used accustomed to.

4. UDM i a bad trey shooting team, and KU is a mediocre trey shooting team saved by Tyshawn's consistency and occasional streaks by Conner and EJ. KU is not apt to have a horrid shooting game today, since it just had a 17% recently. Because of how weak UDM shoots treys, this will free Self's long perimeter players, to cheat inward and strip balls fed into the post, and strip rebounds also. Or on other trips down the floor, KU can release EJ and Travis early to kick into transition game. Either way, UDM is going to suffer if it shoots to its average.

Were Self to apply a fully amped performance today, KU would win by 25-30 points, despite UDM being an above average low seed.

Were Self to apply a no-amp performance, KU could easily get into a persistently close game that would force Self into playing his starters 35-40 minutes, which would in turn, put KU at a sharp disadvantage in an early game on short rest against either Purdue, or St. Marys.

So: Self is apt to half amp, send them out of the blocks quick, try to get an early lead, sub freely the first half, there by keeping the game within reach of UDM, and then go for the kill the first five minutes of the second half, so he can again rest his regulars as much as possible.

But 5 minutes in, if there is no lead, then KU likely muddies the game into half court and grinds it out through the bigs to hold down the number of trips and conserve energy in a close game that way.

What has to be paramount in Self's mind is how does he avoid his team being sapped vs. UDM the way Richmond sapped last year's dominant team?

Self has signaled that he is worried about this prospect, because he noted that playing so late, and then playing so early the next game (if you win the first one), creates a sharply shorter recharge period.

I believe the Richmond/VCU experience has sensitized Self to the risks of such fatigue.

KU is vastly better conditioned this season than last, as I forecast they would be, even before I understood they would be so short handed.

But even superior conditioning has its limits as time between games gets this short.

Whereas Self often gambles on going flat one game, and going flat a second game, I have a hunch his going to split the difference in this weekend's two game tournament.

We are apt to see an even keep approach regarding amping.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

"Stat Free Mission Analysis vs. Detroit Mercy"

(Note: I always try to go where the pros don't go. They used to be weak on stats, so I used to emphasize stats. Now they are strong on stats, so I am focusing more on strategy of psychological approach given match-ups and already statistically clarified tendencies.

Not sufficiently recognized by board rats so far is that Detroit Mercy (UDM) poses essentially the same problem for KU that VCU did last year, but with some decisive differences.

Shaka Smart came at KU's dominant inside muscle game with a penetrating point guard, and a mobile 260 pound big man, and an XTReme Conditioned bunch of agile, active, athletic 2,3 and 4 men that ran long cuts in half court, moved the ball up and down the floor in a hurry, and capitalized on KU's low energy reserves resultant from playing Richmond's Princeton 48 hours before. The idea was to tire KU and make its good three point shooters get tired legs, and tire its bigs, so they were less active inside. A fatigued KU cannot defend as well, and take away aggressive defense from KU and their offense then plays behind an eight ball of fatigue sapped inside play and less accurate outside shooting.

But even accomplishing all of that, VCU barely beat KU.

Now to UDM.

UDM probably has an even better point guard than VCU had, though he is even less of a trey threat.

UDM has a 270 pound big man that can run the floor, but unlike VCU's heavy weight, this guy only plays 20mpg so far.

UDM likes to play in transition, but it has never encountered the kind of speed and athleticism KU brings on the perimeter, that it brought less of last year against VCU.

UDM likes to play penetrate and kick with its star point guard, until the opponent fatigues, but this year's KU perimeter players are all used to guarding 35 seconds per possession for 37-40 minutes if necessary, whereas last seasons players had only been conditioned to play 30 mpg.

UDM's vulnerabilities are as follows.

1. Like MU they require lots of FTs to win. This team has learned to deal with that sort of team in two MU games. It can be tough to deal with, but this team proved in the second game it can get it done.

2. UDM depends on fatiguing opponents with its pace and condition. KU is faster and better conditioned...if our guys are not sick.

3. UDM's bigs are used to being both bigger, longer and faster than their opponents and to wearing them down by rotation. If UDM does not play both its bigs at the same time, either Robinson, or Withey are going to break them down.

4. UDM has never faced defense inside and outside like they are going to see from KU.

kranny 2 years, 1 month ago

It would also help if nobody goes up to an opposing player before the game and says something like:, "The run ends here" like one of the Morris twins did last year before the VCU game. Just keep the mouths closed and play ball. Don't provide any incentive or bad Karma.

Jason Keller 2 years, 1 month ago

It sounds like the kid's heads are in a really good place. I hope it's for real.

ParisHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

If you have a minute, here's an article about Sidney Garrett's posthumous gifts to Lawrence charities. A good bit went to KU basketball, men's and women's. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/mar...

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Oak, I like your points. Detroit supposedly is pretty athletic. I watched VCU/WSU last night and was reminded what Self said about VCU last year: "they look alot like us (athletic across the lineup)". Frankly, I was impressed with VCU's defense played by a bunch of athletic guys (hey! Isnt that Self's formula?).

My point is Detroit is athletic, too--we just have to play smart: avoid traps, come to the ball, protect the ball, run our plays, pass out of double teams (Thomas), yet stick on em like leeches defensively. Dont give "athletes" a chance to look spectacular with steal-for-a-dunk, as that will only cause them to 'believe'. These early matchups against lower seeds is alot about crushing their will. Take away their confidence and beliefs. Make them pucker-up.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Instructions for this weekend;

1] You've over-achieved all year - don't stop now.

2] Let Detroit play with emotion..you play with poise and let your superior athleticism dominate.

3] Get a big early lead and let the first team rest and the subs get some NCAA game experience for later done the line when they are needed to fill in.

4] Conner...it would be nice if you made a three pointer here and there. Pretend each team is wearing black and gold and is extremely obnoxious.

5] Learn from the past, look to the future but play your asses off in the present.

6] Sunday..who ever it is..guard the three and pound the ball inside. Also pound the ball inside and, finally, pound the ball inside.

7] Follow steps #1 through #6 and I will buy all of you a concrete shake at Ted Drewes in St.Louis next week!!!!!

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

what is TruTV and why do I have to ask for a link for the game tonight?

thanks in adavance

ParisHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Thursday recap: - Big 12 teams 3-0 - KU grad coaches 1-0 (unless I'm missing someone) - Kansas teams 1-1

Just beat Detroit!

omng392 2 years, 1 month ago

Comparing this team to the 2008 team. I would have to say our bigs are better. I loved Darnell Jackson and Sasha Kaun, but Whitney and Robinson are better in my humble opinion. On the other hand, Mario, Rus Rob, and Co... I think are better guards than this year's squad. It will be interesting, TT has really improved over this year, more than I think any player since maybe Darnell Jackson... If he keeps playing like this, you could see him getting drafted or at least an invite from the NBA.

Jeff Schartz 2 years, 1 month ago

W.R.E.C.K. Effect!!!!!! We need huge effort from WITHEY, RELEFORD, ELIJAH, CONNER, & KEVIN. If these guys all give 100%, we are pretty Darn good!

Alohahawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Forget all the media circus reports and discussions about former seasons and tournament results. The talking heads will say all they want to try and put pressure on the higher seeds. But the past is just that, past history, and it most definitely should not have any effect on how the Jayhawks perform during the 2012 tournament.

This team is well tested against very tough, top ten competition. It's no longer made up of one returning starter, with leftover reserves from previous seasons. The Hawks have over 5 months of practice and on-court game experience under their belts. They are a super-charged Ferrari that has been fine-tuned by HCBS, the man who is sitting in the driver's seat. KU is starting out in the second row, behind 4 one seeds, but Coach Self is ready to put the pedal to the metal and forge ahead of the pack.

The Jayhawks need to look at the 2012 Big Dance as a new season, a new race. Every team left in the field has had their chance to jockey for position, and the post positions are set. The checkered flag is a couple weeks down the road. The winning teams will learn to avoid the pitfalls that can sideline a team. The coaching staff (the pit crew) must keep track of the competition, while the spare tires (the bench) must be ready to roll, in case starting wheels loose some traction.

From all that's been written, it sounds like Detroit has been reading their own press, and they're the ones who are over-confident. So, go out and have fun whopping Detroit's a**, Hawks. Detroit may have known a lot about cars in the past, but they'll need a trailer to haul themselves home in after playing the Jayhawks.

R C J H G K U!!! (all caps)

Nathan Scholl 2 years, 1 month ago

How can the players not understand that they have to play as hard as they can EVERY GAME? Seriously, I don't get it. How can they think they don't have to listen to Bill Self? That makes no sense. Thought they had already made the Final Four last year? Really?!!! Wake up guys. You aren't deep this year. Focus and you have a great shot. Please focus. Rock Chalk!!!!

Steve Corder 2 years, 1 month ago

Blah, blah, blah! Lace 'em up and play!

DSommersby 2 years, 1 month ago

Let's get it on Hawks!!! Listen to coach, follow the scout precisely, play as a team, always go hard, win a high majority of the 50/50 balls, make winning plays, keep a tight huddle, and have fun!!!!

Rock Chalk Jayhawks!

theboehr 2 years, 1 month ago

" We thought we had already made it to the Final Four."

Wow, seriously? That definitely explains the result of that game then.