Originally published March 16, 2012 at 09:06p.m., updated March 17, 2012 at 12:00a.m.

Norfolk State (!) sends Tigers packing, 86-84

Stunned, Missouri guard Phil Pressey gets a hug from Norfolk State center Kyle O'Quinn following the Tigers' 86-84 loss to the fifteen-seed Spartans on Friday, March 16, 2012 at CenturyLink Center in Omaha.

— The ink hadn't even dried on the boxscore and already T-shirts were on sale on the official Norfolk State website: "This Was No Upset."

The rest of the country begs to differ.

Norfolk State became the first No. 15 seed in 11 years to defeat a No. 2 seed, knocking Missouri out of the tournament, 86-84, and all the way into the SEC.

"We messed up some brackets," NSU senior center Kyle O'Quinn told the Associated Press. "We messed up some brackets. We even messed up my bracket."

The Spartans, champions of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, held on for the victory when Missouri sophomore guard Phil Pressey's off-balance three-pointer from the left wing with one second left glanced off the right side of the rim. Missouri had been a popular pick to emerge from the Midwest Region and advance to the Final Four in New Orleans. O'Quinn didn't let that happen.

O'Quinn led his team statistically, with 26 points and 14 rebounds, and he led the Spartans emotionally. He was grabbing teammates and firing words into their souls, and once took charge of the huddle during a timeout and barked, "At some point, we just have to take it."

Coming out of one late timeout he talked trash at Missouri reserve center Steve Moore. Afterward, Moore answered every question about O'Quinn with the same words: "He's a good player."

O'Quinn, a native of Jamaica (Queens), N.Y., was asked about what the tournament exposure meant for his future.

"What my future is? Winning on Sunday," O'Quinn said. "How about that? Let's take small steps."

Florida fans who remained in the CenturyLink Center after watching the Gators advance cheered passionately for the Spartans. So did Kansas fans who held tickets for the day session.

"We had Kansas fans in our hotel who really wanted us to beat Missouri and we got the job done for them," senior Rodney McCauley said.

During a break of the first game of the night session between Purdue and St. Mary's, O'Quinn, watching with teammates, stood up and exhorted the crowd. Kansas fans responded with a standing ovation for the Spartans (26-9).

Missouri (30-5) completed its final Big 12 season by costing the conference a lot of money by not advancing. And it's not as if cold shooting was to blame. The Tigers, second-place finishers in the Big 12 regular season and conference tournament champions, made 44.8 percent of their three-point shots, 52.7 percent from the field and 76.5 percent from the line.

Norfolk shot .526 from beyond the three-point line, .542 overall and .667 from the line.

"They had a counter for every time we scored pretty much any kind of basket," Tigers junior guard Michael Dixon said.

Said Moore: "We were contesting their shots and stuff they were just hitting shots. They were unconscious. They were unconscious in the first and second half. We thrive on making people shoot over us and they were able to hit them. When a team shoots like that for both halves their chances of beating us go up."

Said Phil Pressey: "I just felt like they made the right plays at the right time and we didn't, and that pretty much decided the game."

Norfolk State's victory made No. 15 seeds 5-105 against No. 2 seeds, a few hours before Lehigh improved that mark to 6-105 before the Kansas/Detroit game tipped off.

NSU became the first No. 15 seed to pull off an upset since Hampton defeated Iowa State in 2001.

Comments

Rick Aldrich 7 years, 8 months ago

Missouri Sucks! they Really Really SUCK!!!!!!!

bishope 7 years, 8 months ago

....and Mizery continues it's fine tradition of losing in the first or second round of the tournament. Good luck in the SEC.

Joel Hood 7 years, 8 months ago

Kim English said KU was not an elite program. Now, Missery is historically linked forever to an elite program - Duke. Karma can be a %!+@#

WilburNether 7 years, 8 months ago

Don't let the Big 12 door hit you in the a** on your way out, Misery.

What a bunch of losers.

Robert Brock 7 years, 8 months ago

Great defense, Slavers. Take it with you to the creepy SEC.

Graczyk 7 years, 8 months ago

Bwah ha ha ha.

But as a KU fan, I can sympathize because I know what it is like to have lofty expectations dashed at the hands of a feisty mid-major.

dansmullet 7 years, 8 months ago

Norfolk state isn't a mid-major. They are a low-major. When you know going into the year your conference is only getting one team in, you're a low-major.

Graczyk 7 years, 8 months ago

Low-major, you say? Well in that case...

Bwah ha ha ha haaaa.

Yogi 7 years, 8 months ago

I was thrilled about this defeat but won't cheer too loudly until the Jayhawks have taken care of business tonight.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 8 months ago

Norfolk State reminded Mizzou that they are Mizzou

shelleysue 7 years, 8 months ago

Hahahaha. My dream would have been a KU v MU final. But I can live with this.

ajhk 7 years, 8 months ago

What the F happened to Ty Taylor? Where is he?

Oh- On an IV

Glad we were ahead and can afford to get him hydrated for the next game.

What is it with our PG's over the years having hydration problems?

Drink some water dang it! Stay away from that grape draaink!

Good work Hawks!

Spencer Goff 7 years, 8 months ago

Among the greatest first rounds in history.

Are we trolling their forums right now? I feel like I need to call that dbag at 810 on Monday and ask him how the "Greatest Mizzou Team EVAH" is doing.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 8 months ago

God Almighty..we won with Tharpe, Young and Teahan getting MAJOR minutes!!!

This has to be our year!!!

Dirk Medema 7 years, 8 months ago

That or a 15-2 game with a team that has learned to play D - unlike the tiggers & dookies that are the worst at it.

JhawkalumJB 7 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for the new avatar MIZWHO.... Thanks for the ever-lasting ending to your best b-ball season in school history. Later chumps.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Missouri accomplished something this year that maybe no other college team has ever done.

Set the record for most wins in school history AND suffered the most embarrassing lost in school history in the same year.

Good riddance Methlab U. You won't be missed.

Eric Dawson 7 years, 8 months ago

Actually, overall they ended up one game short of most wins in mOO history. Anderson's 2009 team won 31.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Oh - sorry I "spoke" without doing my research. I remember a few games ago they said it was the most "regular season" wins in their school history. Thanks for setting me straight.

They still lost to a 15. Bwaaaaa haaaaa haaaaaa

JJHAWK 7 years, 8 months ago

nuleafjhawk

I think both apply - MU is lost.

tis4tim 7 years, 8 months ago

If I'm not mistaken, they're also the first 30-win team not to get a #1 seed in the tourney.

Jim Dickerson 7 years, 8 months ago

That really sucks! They could have been the first #1 seed to lose to a 16.

Michael Mulvihill 7 years, 8 months ago

I need a Norfolk State shirt. Hey its the Missouri thing to do right?

7 years, 8 months ago

In case someone would like to stoop to MU fan's level, get your celebration merchandise now:

DVD on sale soon :^)

Dee Shaw 7 years, 8 months ago

How does that Big 12 Championship feel now Mizzou. Does not matter what you did during the regular season. It all will be remembered from this one game. Not your 30-4 record. Loosing to Norfolk State. What a disaster.

actorman 7 years, 8 months ago

So true, redcoal. He's definitely someone to root for in the tournament.

Freedman Moor 7 years, 8 months ago

You know, "experts" said the Titanic was unsinkable. LOL

Freedman Moor 7 years, 8 months ago

But of course, mizzou is less Titanic and more SS Minnow. Their flash-in-the-pan success this year is less Trans-Atlatnic crossing, and more "three hour tour".

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 8 months ago

...and just like the Titanic, it sank spectacularly!

Ron Prichard 7 years, 8 months ago

I would love to be one of the last few brain cells in Jack Harry's head right now just to have a front row seat to see his head explode when he has to go on TV to talk about tonight's games. Miz-who? Buh-bye!

ljmhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

what time does mizzou play on sunday?

Freedman Moor 7 years, 8 months ago

I attended Hampton University, which is about 20 minutes from Norfolk (Nah-phuck) State. NSU was our arch rival in the MEAC. I've spent the last 20 years trashing that place, so this one was weird for me. Its one of those games where I wished both teams could lose. It turns out though, that I'm much happier with the result and you all will be even happier after I describe to you exactly who Fizzou just lost to.

Pretend that a person could learn anything in Independence, Mo other than how to cook meth in a Walmart without getting caught. And there your have it. Norfolk State (Pen) University. And that's who Fizzou just lost to.

actorman 7 years, 8 months ago

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait to go to Misuse for their opening game next year when they hang their Big XII tournament championship banner.

packywacky88 7 years, 8 months ago

Just got home from the game. Serves Missourah right since many today were sporting Big 12 Champion shirts....that failed to mention it was only the Big 12 Tournament.

actorman 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm curious, packy: did any of the Mizzou fans stick around to root against KU, or did they just sulk out of the place after their tiggers choked?

packywacky88 7 years, 8 months ago

It was the end of the first session so the arena was cleared out. Most fans just hung their heads in shame and left the building. I spoke with some outside the arena and they seemed to have an "oh well" attitude. Better than I would have or have had in the past.

I saw very few gold Misery shirts during the KU game. I don't think any of them hand the kahonas to do any rooting against anyone.

The best part was chatting it up with the Norfolk fans. They were few in numbers, but they were having fun. In case you haven't heard, their band and dance/cheerleaders were something to behold and worth the price of admission alone. They crowd actually stood and cheered for the band after the timeouts. As a former KU Band member, I can tell you I've never seen a pep band with there energy or sound. If the BBall team can feed off them, they will be Final 4 bound. I would not want to play them.

I'll take video of them Sunday so you folks can see for yourselves.

Joel Hood 7 years, 8 months ago

Kelvin 'The Cell Phone' Sampson used to go around claiming to have "won the Big 12" years after winning the post season tourney. That was bad enough and no t-shirts were involved.

But with Misery, I guess we should expect that. For goodness sake, they hang individual banners in the Paige Center for each year they got into the NCAA Tournament. I guess 2012 was another banner year for the slavers.

guess_again 7 years, 8 months ago

Paige Center banners? I heard that Paige just buys them, just like she did her term papers.

Brian Jahelka 7 years, 8 months ago

Can we start calling ourselves Kanzaz so we can be more like Mizzou?

Alohahawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Today, the basketball gods were out in force. Two of the top three teams on my "Can't stand" list were upset by lowly 15 seeds. (Kenstinky is the other.)

It's like Christmas came early. Those were great gifts. And KU's win over Detroit was another great present.

What with their decision to head to the SEC, I'd say that Mizzery has to finally admit the truth. Today, they took the proverbial bull by the tail and faced the situation. Instead of spouting a bunch of BS, they're now wiping it from their faces. Overconfidence rarely gets you anywhere.

Alohahawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Forgot to add: ESPN commented that Mizzery is the only team, during their previous tournament appearances, that has ever lost as a #2 seed, a #3 seed, and as a #4 seed.

wisjayhawkfan 7 years, 8 months ago

so did kyle o'quinn bet against his team?????

lol congrats to them anyway.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

That was one of the funniest things I've seen since

4:36 PM ET, March 16, 2012 CenturyLink Center Omaha, Omaha, NE

15 NORF 38 48 86

2 MIZZ 38 46 84

joeloveshawks 7 years, 8 months ago

I still can't believe that Mizzou (and Duke) lost. One of the best days of my basketball watching life. Is the Mizzou loss the highest ranked team to ever go out in the first round? They were #3 in the country so it has to be. Does this make the Mizzou loss the biggest flop of all time? It is right up there. I love that they filled their entire stadium and had confetti dropped on them during the Selection Sunday announcement. What a joke of a program.

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 8 months ago

I think you mean.

"You can take the trailer out of park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the SEC"

Orangedog87 7 years, 8 months ago

How does that commercial go

What happens when a #2 seed loses big to a #15 seed on cable tv?

The 2# ends up in the SEC with a dog collar around their neck after climbing out of the road side ditch

Dont be Missouri

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Orangdog87

That was a very, very good post.

However, you COULD have just shortened it to:

Don't be Missouri

brutus 7 years, 8 months ago

Missouri, you have embar-assed this league for the last time. Get the %#$@ out!

jhox 7 years, 8 months ago

I went over to tigerboard just for kicks. Love the fact that they're being critical of classless KU fans for chanting "SEC, SEC, SEC..." as if we were responsible for inventing that chant. Some thought we were classless for rooting against them (as if there was some sort of conference related courtesy expected.) I know all Fizzou fans are not that stupid, but it does make you wonder what kind of education they get at that school. With educations like that, they should fit right into the SEC.

Wonder how many people in Lawrence have ordered their Norfolk State T shirts this morning?

Paybacks are he!! Missery fans.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

jhox -

Are you SURE all Fizzou fans are not that stupid ?

WilburNether 7 years, 8 months ago

"...all Fizzou fans are not that stupid..."

Could have fooled me.

packywacky88 7 years, 8 months ago

For the record....I didn't hear any SEC chants. But I can tell you the entire arena, short of a few people in yella shirts, was celebrating the Spartan's victory.

newmedia 7 years, 8 months ago

Mizzery finally has something to help them erase the memory of the UCLA tournament loss years ago! Can't wait for the other shoe to drop on Haith's Miami history. Stay tuned.

PVJayhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

mizzery:

Now that you are officially gone to the sec, I have a suggestion. Since there is already a plethora of tigers there, I suggest you change your name of your mascot to something that is both more interesting and more appropriate. There is a disease producing parasitic filarial worm called Mansonella streptocerca that you might wish to consider. You could call yourselves the "Fighting Nematodes" and there is a nice tie-in to Charles Manson in the scientific name!

Think about it.

Cheers

Chris Corley 7 years, 8 months ago

That Big 12 Tourney Championship banner is going to look really nice hung between that Runner-Up conference banner and NCAA Tournament Qualifier banner. Ahhh...the pageantry of Paige Sports Arena!

gthejayhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Just ordered my Norfolk State shirt!!!!

theend 7 years, 8 months ago

I can't stand Phil Pressey.......I hate watching move with that stupid walk he has.

Funny that the announcer kept calling him "presley".

I was so happy MU lost.........Sit and spin, MU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 8 months ago

I caught that too.

Phil Pressley, priceless.

WilburNether 7 years, 8 months ago

"Missouri had been a popular pick to emerge from the Midwest Region..."

Um...Mr. Keegan...Missouri was in the WEST Region, not the Midwest Region.

Is there an editor in the house?

Kye Clark 7 years, 8 months ago

My ode to that troll Missouricat:

Well, I guess MU wasn't as good as they thought. Good for me I had a couple MU fans around willing to bet on that game. I took Norfolk St. and the points. Turned out I didn't need the points. Won $500 off those MU fans; the money fit nicely in my wallet. Then they were so mad they went double or nothing on the KU-Detroit game. I gave them points to be nice, but still walked away with more of their money in my pockets. Too bad they won't be around anymore for me to relieve them of their money.

MizzouBest 7 years, 8 months ago

Sir......always an honor to see you. I'm sad about MU......sad about leaving Big 12.......but glad KU is moving on. I hope you win the title!!

PVJayhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

MizzouBest: It was interesting to observe your transition from trash-talking troll to classy gentleman and I am sorry you are sad about your school's loss.

In all fairness, MU was quite a good team and, in fact, played very well but had the misfortune to run into an ok team that played way over their own heads.

MU is the school Jayhawks love to hate (and vise versa), so don't be mad that they are jubilant about MU's demise. The rivalry between us monumental and historic and will never be replaced for either school by any other future rivals, so I think it will be greatly missed.

Best of Luck in the SEC.

Kye Clark 7 years, 8 months ago

MizzouBest - I echo the sentiments of PVJayhawk. You have become an enjoyable read here on the message boards. And like PV said, you had a good team. It happens. We know as well as anyone.

Chris1955 7 years, 8 months ago

Outstanding! Taking money from morons!

Kye Clark 7 years, 8 months ago

Yeah it was just a joke, since that clown missouricat always came on here saying the same after any KU loss.

brooksmd 7 years, 8 months ago

Wish I could afford to buy enough Norfolk State basketball shirts to send to all the antlers.

rwhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Norfolk State ain't knockin' on the door, they're bustin' in

"We are Mizzou, We are Mizzou"

Yes, Mizzou, you are. Thank you!

WilburNether 7 years, 8 months ago

Good luck in the NBA-DL, Misery seniors.

Or maybe in the Albanian league?

riverdrifter 7 years, 8 months ago

Per packywacky's 223am post: I had friends at the game that noticed the same thing with the "Big 12 Champions" shirts and caps the Miserians were wearing. No mention of the term "tournament". They offended the basketball gods.

FLJHK 7 years, 8 months ago

As a Jayhawk, I certainly know of the heartbreak of losing in the NCAA tourney. Too, I'm historically pro-Big 12, and anti Kentucky, ACC, Big East and all things east coast in college hoops. So there was some natural inclination to sympathize with Mizzou folks regarding this humiliating loss.

But then I slapped myself in the face. This is Mizzou. With the goings on of the past couple of years, no other university has done more to earn my permanent disdain. So yes, I relish in this defeat.

I'd not thought it possible that they could do anything to accelerate their path toward college sports irrelevancy, but Mizzou found a way. The rest of the SEC must be licking their chops.

guess_again 7 years, 8 months ago

Great photo too..... Poor wittle Pressy is so stunned, so the big Norfolk player helps him off the floor and gives him a big ole hug......... Awwwwwwwwwwwww.

Graczyk 7 years, 8 months ago

It almost looks like the Norfolk player has a KU tat.

REHawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Aw, heck, mizery does cherish company. Hello, dook! Dookey Vee, whaddaya say now?

TX_RKCHAK 7 years, 8 months ago

"Florida fans who remained in the CenturyLink Center after watching the Gators advance cheered passionately for the Spartans."

Wait a minute -- aren't these gators, who passionately cheered against you, a part your new family, Misery? Let's see...you have not officially arrived at your new home and yet you are already scorned by your new family. Hmm. I'd say your reputation precedes you. Yep, this move is going to work out real well for you.

Note to self: gator fans might be a bit more perceptive than I previously gave them credit.

Uhjh 7 years, 8 months ago

And David took a rock from his pouch and slung it at the Palestine and the Palestine hit the ground! Hey MU can you say CHOKE!

Kelly Knott 7 years, 8 months ago

SEC-ya later puddy tats,,, Suffice to say you choked on your own hair-ball. Tell Lil' Kim that it's easy to be a leader and team spokesman when your team is winning,,, It takes a real leader to remain the spokesman in defeat. Where were you at the post-game interview table?? Drained and weepy after scoring ,,, what was it??? 2-points?! Rock Chalk Jayhawks, waving buh-bye to Mizzery.

Robert Lewis 7 years, 8 months ago

What an AWESOME day yesterday was. Hawks Win, missery and god squad LOSE!!! Go away mizzery and DON'T EVER come back!!

Go on to secOND - you won't be missed.

Good riddance to you.

Janet Olin 7 years, 8 months ago

na na Na na, na na Na na, Hey Hey Hey, good BYE...

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 8 months ago

Never in my life have I enjoyed seeing a team lose as much as seeing 'the best Mizzou team ever' losing to a 15th seed.

Lets go KU...time to rub salt in the wound.

Jim Johnson 7 years, 8 months ago

See you later Mizzou, you will not be missed. The only bad thing about this is they finally got a coach with some decency. When their heartless fans were going to wear teeshirts demeaning Thomas Robinson's mother he put a stop to it. That's more than any other coach there has ever done. He's too good for Missery and will move on to better places. That man has class that Missouri will never have. I still can't believe we honored ol' Norm in Allen Fieldhouse when he did the things he did. But then that is class that Missouri would never think about.

tauck 7 years, 8 months ago

Hey mizzou You don't like the KU fans rooting agaist you in omaha, buy some tickets and support your team