Thursday, March 15, 2012

Omaha has familiar feel for Jayhawks

Kansas head coach Bill Self stops for questions from media members upon the team's arrival at the Embassy Suites in downtown Omaha.

photo

photo

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson smiles as he stops to sign autographs for a cluster of young fans upon the team's arrival at the Embassy Suites in downtown Omaha.

— Kansas University’s basketball team bus pulled in front of the downtown Embassy Suites hotel about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, the path to the entrance mighty familiar to ninth-year Jayhawk coach Bill Self.

“This is the same hotel,” Self said of KU’s home base in March of 2008. That’s when the Jayhawks defeated Portland State and UNLV in first- and second-round NCAA Tournament games in this Nebraska city, starting a successful road to the Final Four and national championship.

“How ’bout the weather? It’s unbelievable. I didn’t anticipate Omaha being 80 degrees when we roll in here or close to it (upper 60s),” Self added. “The weather’s perfect ... love the arena (CenturyLink Center). People here roll out the red carpet. Omaha is a good host city. They’ve got a great downtown. I’m sure our fans will have plenty to do here.”

Self said the Jayhawks — who will meet Detroit in an NCAA Midwest Regional opener at 8:57 p.m. Friday, with the winner advancing to Sunday’s game against Purdue or St. Mary’s — had a productive practice Wednesday afternoon in Allen Fieldhouse.

“We’ve had a good week of practice — not perfect, but a good week,” Self said. “I think we got the guys’ attention in large part we didn’t play that well in Kansas City (in going 1-1 at Big 12 tournament). Everybody is excited when the bracket comes out. Everybody’s batteries are recharged. Ours are recharged. We are looking forward to the opportunity to play.”

The Jayhawks watched the Lamar-Vermont NCAA Tourney game on TV on the 31⁄2-hour bus ride before dining at Sullivan’s Steakhouse in downtown Omaha.

On tap today is a 5:10 to 5:50 p.m. practice at CenturyLink Center. It is open to the public.

The Jayhawks will spend a lot of time in Omaha prior to Friday’s late tip.

“I don’t think it’s the best game to play,” Self said. “The problem is, if you play late Friday, there’s a chance you will play early Sunday (if team wins). To me that’s the biggest thing and the fact you are playing about the last game of the first round. Still, we’ll be excited to play no matter what time.”

KU, MU both here: Self was asked if KU and Missouri fans will be able to co-exist this weekend in Omaha. The Tigers are also here, gearing for an opening game against Norfolk State. Tipoff is 3:40 p.m. Friday.

“I hope so,” Self said. “I understand you don’t have to like each other. I don’t understand some of the hostility that goes with it. I heard fights were going on (last week in Kansas City). That stuff is ridiculous. One thing about KU fans, at least I hope, is whether you like or don’t like (the Tigers), certainly you respect the team they put on the floor. They represent themselves very, very well. They should feel the same way about us. It’s a unique situation we’ve spent this much time together in an exit-type year (with MU off to SEC next season). I anticipate this being a pretty interesting weekend and one in all honesty I think it’d benefit both of us to play well this weekend.”

More honors: KU’s Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor on Monday were named All-District 8 first-team as awarded by the National Association of Basketball Coaches. They were joined by Marcus Denmon, Missouri; Royce White, Iowa State; and J’Covan Brown, Texas.

Students honored: KU’s students on Wednesday won the inaugural Naismith Student Section of the Year Award as presented by Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) and the Atlanta Tipoff Club. The award comes with a $5,000 cash award, which Kansas Athletics will direct to the university’s general scholarship fund. Details on the selection process can be found at facebook.com/ilovecollegehoops.

Comments

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

My brackets took a major blow but seeing Mizzou go down was worth EVERY bit of it.

Dan Harris 2 years, 1 month ago

Iowa St is blowing it! I can't stand UCONVECT U!

brooksmd 2 years, 1 month ago

Hope somebody posted this up on TRobs locker:

"Eli Holman tells Det News: "Robinson? I can handle Robinson.He has to handle me."

If this don't fire up TRob, nothing will. Any bets on the outcome of this?

Brian Conrad 2 years, 1 month ago

wooo hooo ISU wooping up on U Conn... Big Least soft . Syracuse should have been first 16 seed to loose.. they looked terrible.

Brian Conrad 2 years, 1 month ago

calling all hawk fans ... be in St Louis !! we need the homecourt fans .. s*** mizzou.. they will go to the game just to boo us... we need enough fans there to drown them out !!

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

"Some Little Known Facts about Omaha"

• Cattle sacrificing cults call Omaha by a secret name: Ahamo.

• Berkshire Hathaway handles Strategic Air Command's Doomsday Fund.

• Public nudity is allowed if it increases beef sales.

• Creighton is middle English for Cretin.

• An average of 1.2 persons per day die of boredom in Omaha.

• Omahaians observe ground hog day by waiting to see if Tom Osborne is so pale he makes people's eyes hurt, when steps out for a donut in Lincoln.

• Native sons Henry Fonda and Marlon Brando attributed their lack of gum health to the Omaha water supply.

• DARPA has twice studied Omaha in an effort to weaponize tedium.

• Marlin Perkins and Jim Fowler ghost sightings in Omaha are most frequent during tornado season.

• Moby Grape's "Omaha" is still the pop song most often associated with Omaha.

• Omaha gave KU Gale Sayers and so all joking aside, Omaha is one of the great cities of the world.

(Note: All fiction but the last one. No malice.)

losthawk 2 years, 1 month ago

It's going to take more that the same hotel for this team to advance. Sweet 16 and out of KU. Poor coaching and recruiting will kill them.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 1 month ago

Ugh. My 1st round was awful... Picked too many upsets.

Dan Harris 2 years, 1 month ago

Going to suck if VCU beats the Sockers

Dan Harris 2 years, 1 month ago

can't believe I just watched us get beat by VCU again! I knew the outcome and still couldn't believe all those 3's kept falling and falling and falling while ours kept bricking and bouncing out and going half way down and spinning out. I pray to God that we don't run into another HOT Cinderella that shoots lights out against us and then crawls back into its shell.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Regarding the Missouri Fans, we could rename the Movie, "Whining Tigers, Toothless Dragons."

"....to see MU later in the tournament,...." God, I hope so because that would be the Semi-Final game in New Orleans.

Another sign that we are on a mission from God - every NCAA Kansas Championship has been on a leap year ['52, '88, '08]...2012!!

I am turning on my good luck Kansas neon bar sign come Friday night and not turning it off until we win it all [My house won't burn down in the interim, will it?]

Local Mizzou watch groups here in St.Louis are organizing to boo Kansas and cheer Detroit.....Geez, talk about P---s Envy!!

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

"One thing about KU fans, at least I hope, is whether you like or don’t like (the Tigers), certainly you respect the team they put on the floor. They represent themselves very, very well."--Bill Self about MU

Either Self expects to see MU later in the tournament, and is making nice, or Sheahon told him they are going to schedule MU, because they can make some bones.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

"JaKarr by the Numbers"

1. JaKarr Sampson commits to St. Johns, which a couple seasons back S-Canned Norm Roberts, reputedly because some AAU and Juco coaching maggots black listed him for not eating out of their palms.

2. JaKarr Samspon gets himself ineligible.

3. JaKarr Sampson reopens his recruiting and lists:

St. John's--suddenly and mysteriously recruiting much better now that Norm Roberts has been replaced by Steve Lavin.

KU--coached by Norm Roberts friend and former boss, Bill Self who is on record as standing by Norm's character.

Florida--where Billy Donovan took a stand by hiring Norm Roberts.

Providence--who doesn't matter to anyone outside Providence right now in college basketball.

1. JaKarr Sampson re-commits with St. Johns.

2. No AAU or juco coaching maggots are reputedly black listing Steve Lavin.

3. You connect the dots.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

For you serious gamblers -

This is a sure thing - bet the farm on it.

Somewhere in this tournament you will see a very original sign that says

You're Not in Kansas Anymore !

Sally Presson 2 years, 1 month ago

Not to worry about KU fans fighting MU, we've got more class than that. Security needs to keep an eye out for the tigers, they always are on the edge.

Good luck Hawks, really looking forward to our games.

rock chalk!!!

Hurinfan 2 years, 1 month ago

Have to respectfully disagree with HCBS. Mizzou fans do not represent themselves well. He was probably just giving coach speak. I try my best to get under the skin of every Mizzou fan and start a fight if I can. I encourage all Jayhawks to do the same.

DarthVada 2 years, 1 month ago

Daaa Daa Da Daaa - Daa Da Daaa - Daa Da Daaa

Bill Self, I am your father!

William Blake 2 years, 1 month ago

"The award comes with a $5,000 cash award, which Kansas Athletics will direct to the university’s general scholarship fund."

Wow! Throw that in with the ESPN contract money and we are rich!

; >)

2 years, 1 month ago

Since KUSports.com did a piece on Brett Ballard and his Baker team a couple of weeks ago, I thought some might be interested to know how they fared in the NAIA tournament. Here is a link to a game results story:

10point8 2 years, 1 month ago

Good Omen:

1988: Rounds 1 & 2: OMAHA Regional Final: DETROIT Result: NATIONAL CHAMPS

2008: Rounds 1 & 2: OMAHA Regional Final: DETROIT Result: NATIONAL CHAMPS

2012 Round 2: OMAHA Round 2: Play dETROIT Result: NATIONAL CHAMPS

Let's play 6! Rock Chalk!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Sampson returns to the trainwreck titled "St.John's." At least he knows there will be plenty of PT since nearly everybody has jumped or been dumped off the ship!!

I would say BenMac, Jamari, Perry, Charles, Zach, Landon and Anrio will be a decent [tongue in cheek] first season class next fall!! Throw in Travis, Elijah, Kevin, Justin, Nadiir, Merv and Jeff [ hopefully] as well.

Then, I would say we will once again be competitive [tongue in other cheek ] :)

jayhawkfox 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm leaving for Omaha later this afternoon and have tickets to all the sessions, so will catch the Misery game on Friday. I am a little torn on how I'll root... I always try to support our league when it comes to the tourney, but as others have said, it's especially tough this year, especially with MU leaving...and it is MU. I do think they have a really good team though and, although tough to admit, they are a fun team to watch.

UmbertoConforti 2 years, 1 month ago

If you feel like worrying check this out.

He thinks Detroit or St. Mary's will take KU out of the tournament. Click on the video of the Detroit guard.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 1 month ago

'Recruiting: JaKarr Sampson, a 6-8 senior forward from Brewster (N.H.) Academy, re-committed to St. John’s on Wednesday, according to Zagsblog.com. Sampson chose St. John’s over KU, Florida and Providence. He initially committed last summer but was ruled ineligible then reopened his recruitment before re-upping with St. John’s.'

That finishes a great recruiting effort by HCBS and staff for next year. Justin moves back to Walk-on. Merv stays. The 2012-13 Jayhawks will be a very deep and talented team.

Konkis Dongington III 2 years, 1 month ago

Damn, I feel like we missed a good opportunity with Sampson. I still think we can get Tony Parker. Shabazz, not so much, but anything's possible, I guess.

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

The striped antlers appear bound to get an early taste of SEC basketball in Round 2. Actually, I admire their group of players and their manner of play this season. But that rude and crude chanting of SEC by Tiger fans at the Big 12 Tournament was lowlife reprehensible.

justinryman 2 years, 1 month ago

If your in Omaha, drop me a line.

I had set up a blog on here with some information as to where to meet up, but apparently they didn't like it and took it down.

Jayhawks UNITE!!!!!

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I would imagine that there has been some mighty intense studying of Detroit Mercy film, as well as many phonecalls to their opponents this season. Our coaching staff has taken such a beating over previous early exits, that a first round loss must be avoided, at the cost of 18 hour work days for Bill Self and Co. the past week. Rock Chalk!

Ben Kane 2 years, 1 month ago

I have to disagree with Self when he says he doesn't understand it... I do understand it and whether i'm sober or not, I will always hate mizery.

NoteToSelf 2 years, 1 month ago

KU fans will dictate the level of "hatred" that comes from the MU fans in Omaha this weekend because the tigers play before the Hawks. If KU fans boo the tigers loudly and root openly for NSU then the level of hate will increase dramatically against KU by the time the game starts at 9 PM. KU will have a lot of fans in Omaha, but the 7 other teams will be rooting against us. Plan on hearing plenty of S-E-C throughout the tournament especially if MU and Florida play on Sunday. The 9 PM start to the KU game will also mean the MU fans will be wired from an earlier victory over NSU and an early happy hour at Buffalo Wild Wings. HCBS has a better feeling about playing in Omaha instead of OKC in the NCAA tournament. Go Hawks!!!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

In 1981 (I think) I went to the Regionals in New Orleans where Darnell Valentine missed about 47 layups (sumpin like that) and we lost to Wichita State. I was 23 and had not quite figured out that whole respect (or sobriety) thing. My brother in law spent most of that night trying to keep us both from getting killed because of my big mouth.

At 53, it seems crazy to me. I talk about hating Missouri (and I do), but when the game is over, people are people and it just goes back to treating people the way you want to be treated, regardless of whether they're wearing black and gold t-shirts and only have 3 teeth.

Be cool folks. When it's all said and done, it ain't worth going to jail over.

Peace out. Sermon over.

TXChalker 2 years, 1 month ago

Congrats to all the STUDENTS and FANS for us nabbing The Naismith Student Section of the Year Award. I voted EVERY day and encouraged all others to do so on these boards. This is only fitting that the inaugural award bearing the name "Naismith" goes to KU.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Beat Detroit

Cmill1221 2 years, 1 month ago

Not a single team in our region scares me. The only team that scares me is Kansas. We totally control our own fate. No team can match up w/ T-Rob and withey when they are on their game and playing well. No foul trouble and Tyshawn take care of the ball is key. With EJ finding his shot the last few games we look good. The only thing that really upset me last game vs Baylor was how we were in the bonus with 9:00 left in the game and didn't shoot a free throw till 3:00. Extremely frustrating. We need to continue to attack the basket and get to the line. Play to win not to not lose and we can be dangerous. Just leave it all on the court.

Alohahawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Wonder if the Omaha police force is on the alert? Could be a lot of pent up emotions between Jayhawk fans and MU's. Hope the battles are all waged on the court, and not in the streets of Nebraska.

Beginning to wonder if inviting recruits to games at AFH might be scaring some of them away. I don't understand how or why. However, a number of recruits, who have since decided to go elsewhere, have attended "The Legends of the Phog" game, the "KU - MU" finale, and perhaps even some of the "Late Night" games, all of which should have been very impressive to a recruit.

I realize that I'm completely biased towards KU, but I just find it hard to believe that a recruit would turn KU down after witnessing firsthand the over-powering atmosphere during games in AFH.

Perhaps, to give him an excuse, J. Sampson was concerned about the number of post players KU will have next season. Which leads one to believe he doesn't have a lot of confidence in his abilities.

Oh, well. Their loss, and perhaps KU's gain. (ie. Look what happened with Turner at Arizona. He was highly recruited by KU, but Arizona has all but booted him from their team.) Will be interesting to see how far Tarkzewski (sp) progresses at Arizona.

Of note: With today's loss to Drexel (in their first game in the NIT), Arizona's 2011 - 2012 season has ended. And Cal lost in the play-in game of the Big Dance, so the Pac 12 is zero for two in the post season, so far.

Doug Cramer 2 years, 1 month ago

Got a good feeling about our chances to make a run at the final four this year.

North Carolina could have problems with Michigan if Hardaway gets hot.

If we do end up facing UNC...our physical play, good defense, and intense rebounding tends to throw a wrench into good ol Roy's finesse and fast pace style.

One game at a time though. A sweet 16 matchup with Georgetown is scary.

Rock Chalk !!!