Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Keegan

Dunkin’ Detroit may fuel KU’s fire

Detroit forward Doug Anderson (23) reacts after a shot next to St. John's guard Nurideen Lindsey (10) during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game in Detroit, Monday, Dec. 5, 2011. Detroit won 69-63.

Gargantuan scoreboards that play basketball highlights tend to show more plays featuring players dunking than curling around screens, catching the ball, squaring to the hoop and swishing the shot.

It’s only natural. Dunks get the juices flowing. Anybody can make a jump shot. Not everybody can dunk with a variety of deliveries. That takes rare sky-walking ability.

Even basketball eyes so trained they’re entrusted with decisions on six-figure, four-year scholarships tend to make most of their mistakes on guys who can rock the rim. At crowded AAU tournaments with six games going on at once, it’s the leapers who stand out. Player A might have better lateral quickness than Player B, but if Player B gets up higher, he’s more likely to be noticed first.

The subconscious never rests, and to a large extent, it’s at that level that the mind triggers adrenaline. You can’t just tell yourself, “OK, I’m going to get really excited right now.” Either you do or you don’t. Your adrenaline would tend to stay at rest watching a three-point shooting tape of Nik Cochran, Davidson’s 6-foot-3, 188-pound Canadian who scored 21 points in the upset of Kansas, yet anybody’s juices would roar watching video of Detroit Mercy’s Dunkin’ Doug Anderson, a YouTube sensation since his high school days.

Detroit has five double-figure scorers, plus Anderson, who starts and averages 9.1 points and 4.7 rebounds. He wears No. 23 and dunks like another No. 23. Any number of word combinations typed in the YouTube search box will bring you to his highlights. Such as: “Detroit’s Doug Anderson Massive follow Dunk vs. St. John’s.” And: “Crazy put-back by Detroit’s Doug Anderson.” And: “Doug Anderson has INSANE bounce, Best Dunker in college basketball?”

His dunk during Detroit’s 20-point blowout at Valparaiso made No. 1 on ESPN’s Top 10 plays of the night.

It’s not reasonable of us to think that men who range in age from 18 to 23, men who spent their entire lives living in the highlight era, would not experience a greater adrenaline rush watching great dunkers, too.

So maybe the words Kansas coach Bill Self spoke about Detroit before Tuesday’s practice should do more to encourage those emotionally invested in Kansas basketball than discourage them. Watching video of Titans get up, way up, might help Kansas get up for the game on a subconscious level.

“I’m serious,” Self said, “you could make a highlight tape of Detroit, and it’s as good as Baylor’s highlight tape. I mean, they are athletic. They’re as athletic as any team in our league, I think. They’ve got a terrific point guard, and they’ve got size up front. And they make athletic plays.”

The higher Detroit plays on tape, the faster the adrenaline should flow Friday night for Kansas.

Comments

Ferd Magellan 2 years, 6 months ago

If KU could fill up on teams that can dunk and can't shoot in every Tournament they'd have at least 10 more national titles.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm definitely glad to see Detroit doesn't shoot the 3 well, not glad to see them in the first round though.

onlylookin2score 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, well none of the highlights I saw had him going against a 7'0 shot blocking center either. Their sched. was cupcake.. so they're more like a 10 seed than a 15, so what? We should still beat them handily.

Doug Cramer 2 years, 6 months ago

Can't wait till Sticky Withey shows this dude who's boss in the paint.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

I think our theme for this tournament should be " Play Pissed ".

Sorry if that's too graphic, but this year, it seems to be true for us.

When we have a chip on our shoulder (yes, I said "we". fans count too) we are almost unstoppable. When we have the "we're invincible" attitude, we are sometimes very vincible.

There's my 2 cents - play pissed.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't think KU should be associated with anything Yellow.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

LOL - then we should drink lots of water !!

bocktar 2 years, 6 months ago

It works! I intentionally drank A TON of water starting about a day before the final KU vs MU matchup in AFH because I wanted no trace of anything resembling gold associated with me. I proudly proclaimed this winning strategy to my wife before the game. She was not impressed.

Phoghorn 2 years, 6 months ago

I might try that, but I am afraid I would have missed a great part of the game thanks to having to make another trip to the urinal.

Lawrence Morgan 2 years, 6 months ago

This is a serious mistake. You should never use the word yellow in this way. Please take off this comment and the one below it. It is racial.

Jason Keller 2 years, 6 months ago

If you can't shoot the 3, you can't win against Kansas. I feel better about this game than I did initially.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

In the first link, he was pretty blatantly over the back-- not sure why the foul wasn't called, but it will be if he does it in a tournament game.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 6 months ago

You missed the ref on the baseline waving off the play.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 6 months ago

Hey, we've got a guy who can dunk too, remember? In fact, we've got several guys who can throw down with the best of them There are these two guys with the same initials, TR, who have also been shown on the ESPN highlights spots.

Robert Brock 2 years, 6 months ago

Key: defend without fouling. Can Detroit do it? I doubt it.

Brak 2 years, 6 months ago

More importantly will the refs call it? I guess we'll find out

katiekelley 2 years, 6 months ago

Fast athletic teams can be a real problem for slow teams.

Hail_To_Thee 2 years, 6 months ago

Really Keegan?????

You call those monster dunks?????

Here, let me help simplify this for you a bit....

Oh, and incase you needed a closer look at that one........

2010jayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for the highlights! That'll get your juice flowing! On to the next one... Rock Chalk Jayhawk Baby!!

tis4tim 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm usually not one to rush to judgment on a team I don't know much about, but the more I read about this Detroit team the more disgusted I get for some reason. I've never had this irritated feeling about any first round match-up as far back as I can recall. I just sense these guys are a bunch of loud-mouthed punks, who prefer intimidation by instigation rather than just playing good ball. I have no credible stats or statistics or incident reports to back that statement up, but it just feels like it is so. And I can't wait to pull the spark plugs from their motor mouths on Friday.

RJ King 2 years, 6 months ago

Detroit's attitude sounds eerily similar to that of the Morri. They talked the talk and usually walked the walk, but Karma prevailed when Vacuum Cleaner University took note and we got Hoovered.

Some of my favorite visuals are KU players NOT reacting to bating. Picture Cole not flinching after getting bumped by Joey Dorsey, Hinrich obliviously sinking free throws during Harry Potter chants, HCBS's restraint when answering Fizzou questions, etc.

Talk to, and challenge your teammates - that's the FOE I want to see this weekend.

mae 2 years, 6 months ago

Elijah can dunk higher and quicker. That guy is just one.

Justin Kruse 2 years, 6 months ago

Check out the link I posted a little lower of EJ's 360 between the legs!

Larry Kampa 2 years, 6 months ago

Great, let him have his 4-5 rebound dunks and hi 9 points. He's 6-6, you think he makes that dunk over TRob???

Joe Baker 2 years, 6 months ago

No disrespect to this guy, really. Who has he faced? Who has he played against at Detroit?

All his utubes are dunks. He has no jump shot and frankly not too disciplined. He tries to force dunks when there may not be a dunk. He knows that's all he has when it comes to offense. He's not going to get those dunks against bigger, more talented, smothering defensive players. All you have to do is step up and take a charge.

katiekelley 2 years, 6 months ago

no disrespect but shooting 2 for 21 3s (like VCU) means going home early.

ajhk 2 years, 6 months ago

Ralster- WE shot 2-21 from three against VCU. They shot 12-25 for an amazing 48% from three. That was VCU's best 3-point outing ever on the season and I think it was our worst.

Anyway, Kelley is right, we need to come prepped to play. Not having our head in this game could get dangerous.

Here is an article Where the Oakland head coach predicts that Detroit will beat us: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120313/SPORTS0203/203130321/1004/SPORTS/Detroit-Mercy-poised-to-strike-as-spoiler

Remember- Eli Holman was said to have bested Kevin Love and Mike Beasley in a camp during recruitment. He initially went to Indiana before getting into off the court trouble. We know they have a mc d all American too.

The Oakland coach said we beat teams with size and Detroit has it. Have they ever seen the size of T-Robs motor? Bring your motor T-Rob and have them all in awe!

Rock Chalk!

Sam Constance 2 years, 6 months ago

Man, that article is a trip. It makes me wonder if the Oakland coach knows anything about Kansas' team this year.

Yeah, guard play is nice. And size is helpful. But more important than both of those--when it comes to the tourney--is three-point shooting and defense. Neither of which Detroit can do a lick of.

The Kansas fan in me, who has seen so many heart-wrenching early exits, is nervous about this game. But the realist in me thinks that the only way Kansas loses this game is if they come out looking worse than they have ALL YEAR LONG. Detroit is currently ranked #118 on Pomeroy, which is twice as low as any team we lost to this year, and in the same general vicinity as Oklahoma and Texas A&M, two teams we beat by an average margin of 13.6 points over five combined games. And both OU and A&M have defenses ranked in the top 100 of efficiency, compared to Detroit's 179th.

ajhk 2 years, 6 months ago

Forgive me Ralster, you obviously got what he was trying to refer or "reefer" too. The clown is right though. We need to come into every game from here on out with keen focus and a killer mentality.

No days off T-Rob! Let's Hammer them!