Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Keegan

Dunkin’ Detroit may fuel KU’s fire

Detroit forward Doug Anderson (23) reacts after a shot next to St. John's guard Nurideen Lindsey (10) during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game in Detroit, Monday, Dec. 5, 2011. Detroit won 69-63.

Gargantuan scoreboards that play basketball highlights tend to show more plays featuring players dunking than curling around screens, catching the ball, squaring to the hoop and swishing the shot.

It’s only natural. Dunks get the juices flowing. Anybody can make a jump shot. Not everybody can dunk with a variety of deliveries. That takes rare sky-walking ability.

Even basketball eyes so trained they’re entrusted with decisions on six-figure, four-year scholarships tend to make most of their mistakes on guys who can rock the rim. At crowded AAU tournaments with six games going on at once, it’s the leapers who stand out. Player A might have better lateral quickness than Player B, but if Player B gets up higher, he’s more likely to be noticed first.

The subconscious never rests, and to a large extent, it’s at that level that the mind triggers adrenaline. You can’t just tell yourself, “OK, I’m going to get really excited right now.” Either you do or you don’t. Your adrenaline would tend to stay at rest watching a three-point shooting tape of Nik Cochran, Davidson’s 6-foot-3, 188-pound Canadian who scored 21 points in the upset of Kansas, yet anybody’s juices would roar watching video of Detroit Mercy’s Dunkin’ Doug Anderson, a YouTube sensation since his high school days.

Detroit has five double-figure scorers, plus Anderson, who starts and averages 9.1 points and 4.7 rebounds. He wears No. 23 and dunks like another No. 23. Any number of word combinations typed in the YouTube search box will bring you to his highlights. Such as: “Detroit’s Doug Anderson Massive follow Dunk vs. St. John’s.” And: “Crazy put-back by Detroit’s Doug Anderson.” And: “Doug Anderson has INSANE bounce, Best Dunker in college basketball?”

His dunk during Detroit’s 20-point blowout at Valparaiso made No. 1 on ESPN’s Top 10 plays of the night.

It’s not reasonable of us to think that men who range in age from 18 to 23, men who spent their entire lives living in the highlight era, would not experience a greater adrenaline rush watching great dunkers, too.

So maybe the words Kansas coach Bill Self spoke about Detroit before Tuesday’s practice should do more to encourage those emotionally invested in Kansas basketball than discourage them. Watching video of Titans get up, way up, might help Kansas get up for the game on a subconscious level.

“I’m serious,” Self said, “you could make a highlight tape of Detroit, and it’s as good as Baylor’s highlight tape. I mean, they are athletic. They’re as athletic as any team in our league, I think. They’ve got a terrific point guard, and they’ve got size up front. And they make athletic plays.”

The higher Detroit plays on tape, the faster the adrenaline should flow Friday night for Kansas.

Comments

katiekelley 2 years, 1 month ago

no disrespect but shooting 2 for 21 3s (like VCU) means going home early.

Joe Baker 2 years, 1 month ago

No disrespect to this guy, really. Who has he faced? Who has he played against at Detroit?

All his utubes are dunks. He has no jump shot and frankly not too disciplined. He tries to force dunks when there may not be a dunk. He knows that's all he has when it comes to offense. He's not going to get those dunks against bigger, more talented, smothering defensive players. All you have to do is step up and take a charge.

KUhawks77 2 years, 1 month ago

Great, let him have his 4-5 rebound dunks and hi 9 points. He's 6-6, you think he makes that dunk over TRob???

William Blake 2 years, 1 month ago

Dunkin' Doug hnuts

Better call in a cop with some coffee.

mae 2 years, 1 month ago

Elijah can dunk higher and quicker. That guy is just one.

tis4tim 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm usually not one to rush to judgment on a team I don't know much about, but the more I read about this Detroit team the more disgusted I get for some reason. I've never had this irritated feeling about any first round match-up as far back as I can recall. I just sense these guys are a bunch of loud-mouthed punks, who prefer intimidation by instigation rather than just playing good ball. I have no credible stats or statistics or incident reports to back that statement up, but it just feels like it is so. And I can't wait to pull the spark plugs from their motor mouths on Friday.

Hail_To_Thee 2 years, 1 month ago

Really Keegan?????

You call those monster dunks?????

Here, let me help simplify this for you a bit....

Oh, and incase you needed a closer look at that one........

katiekelley 2 years, 1 month ago

Fast athletic teams can be a real problem for slow teams.

Robert Brock 2 years, 1 month ago

Key: defend without fouling. Can Detroit do it? I doubt it.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey, we've got a guy who can dunk too, remember? In fact, we've got several guys who can throw down with the best of them There are these two guys with the same initials, TR, who have also been shown on the ESPN highlights spots.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 1 month ago

In the first link, he was pretty blatantly over the back-- not sure why the foul wasn't called, but it will be if he does it in a tournament game.

Jason Keller 2 years, 1 month ago

If you can't shoot the 3, you can't win against Kansas. I feel better about this game than I did initially.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I think our theme for this tournament should be " Play Pissed ".

Sorry if that's too graphic, but this year, it seems to be true for us.

When we have a chip on our shoulder (yes, I said "we". fans count too) we are almost unstoppable. When we have the "we're invincible" attitude, we are sometimes very vincible.

There's my 2 cents - play pissed.

Doug Cramer 2 years, 1 month ago

Can't wait till Sticky Withey shows this dude who's boss in the paint.

Ferd Magellan 2 years, 1 month ago

If KU could fill up on teams that can dunk and can't shoot in every Tournament they'd have at least 10 more national titles.