Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Keegan

Humility crucial for KU

This is the time of year that all coaches, broadcasters and office bracket-pool participants say the same words ad nauseum: “It’s not about the seedings in the tournament. It’s all about the match-ups.”

In reality, that doesn’t really apply to relatively balanced basketball teams such as Kansas University’s. For example, was Missouri a good match-up or a bad match-up for KU?

Well, for a stretch starting with the final 2:04 of the Columbia game and ending with 10:50 left in the Lawrence game, it appeared to be an awful match-up. Missouri won that 31:14 stretch, 78-51. For the remaining 15:50, it looked like a terrific match-up for Kansas, which outscored the Tigers 36-19 during that memorable stretch.

Kansas is even better inside than on the perimeter, but point guard Tyshawn Taylor is one of the best in the nation, so it’s not as if the Jayhawks are particularly vulnerable to any one style. In the case of KU, the most significant match-up pits the players vs. their mirrors.

A confident and humble Kansas is capable of competing against any team in the country. A confident and vain Kansas is capable of stinking up the joint against any NCAA Tournament-caliber squad.

A confident and humble Kansas adheres to the scouting report. A confident and vain Kansas thinks it can win on sheer talent.

Asked to speak to what type of teams make for good and bad match-ups for KU, Taylor responded in a manner that all his teammates should embrace.

“I think any match-up can be a bad match-up for us if we aren’t rebounding the ball or we aren’t tuned in defensively,” Taylor said. “We know any team can beat us if we aren’t a good defensive team. A good match-up for us would be any team who plays us when we are playing well.”

Confident yet humble words.

“Like I said, I think if we prepare like we want to win and like we are an underdog, almost, I think it is going to be hard to beat us,” Taylor said.

For the Jayhawks, the seed just might mean more than the match-up. A No. 1 seed four of the past five years, Kansas enters as a No. 2 this time.

“I think the last couple of years, when we were a No. 1 seed, we felt like we had to win it,” Taylor said. “I feel the same way this year, but I don’t feel like it is on us as much. I don’t think anybody is going to call us failures or say that we let them down or we choked or whatever it might be.”

Comments

Benz Junque 2 years, 6 months ago

When Kansas plays agressively on offense and defense, they win. When they don't, they lose. It's really as simple as that.

If I see Tyshawn Taylor is walking the ball up the court all the time and not attacking and T-Rob is not fighting for post position or not working hard on defense, I can guarantee a loss for Kansas.

EFFORT and INTENSITY wins tournament games. Everyone WANTS to win; it's the team that works the hardest to execute to their abilities that wins.

I want to see Kansas be the team that overwhelms their opponent. I want to see the team they play come off the court and say "I never want to play THAT team again". I want to see Kansas try to win EVERY game by fifty points and dominate the game. Enough of this "just enough to win" effort. Blow their freaking doors off!

"RELENTLESS" should be the goal of every Kansas basketball team. Wave after wave of aggressive play at both ends.

Hank Cross 2 years, 6 months ago

This team has definitely got the memo that no team is going to roll over, just b/c it says Kansas on the front of their uniform. What's more important though, is that they what it's like to be laughed at (UK game), to be in a dogfight with a top team (Duke game) to get punked by a mid-major (Davidson) and to know that anything can happen down the strech and no lead is safe (both MU games). This team is as tourney tough as any KU team I can remember.

jhox 2 years, 6 months ago

I recall last year's team saying things which implied they got the same memo. Then along came VCU, and the memo obviously had been deleted somewhere along the line.There are maybe 10 teams in this tournament who we can "mail it in" against and still win the game.. Unfortunately, the team we get in the first round is not one of those teams, and none of those teams will be around by the second round. We need to take every team seriously, or it will be another early exit for us.

We need to be humble, realize every game could be our last if we don't put out the effort, and pay attention to the scouting report. Most of all we need to play defense and rebound like there is no tomorrow, otherwise there won't be. Forget the trash talk and standing over opponents who have been knocked to the floor. Just take care of business, and try to win by the biggest margin possible every game. No game in the tournament can be taken lightly.

Douglas Creelman 2 years, 6 months ago

Do remember VCU went to the Final Four, it's not like KU was beaten by a one-hit wonder.

sevenyearhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

No, that would've been UNI the year before - with two players who were fairly crucial during the run to 2008 NCAA tourney title.

EverRisingHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

+1. Where does everyone get off thinking trash talk is some new scourge on the game? Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, etc. = most prolific trash talkers of all time. It's part of the game. People need to stop being so d@mn soft.

Robert Rauktis 2 years, 6 months ago

Way over seeded in the 2's so they have no margin for complacency. With the right attitude they can do well; without, it's an "upset" with a 15 sending you home. They don't care that you play in historic Allen Field House or where Self offices.

LarryCarl 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm not sure what your level of knowledge is in these matters but just in case you didn't know the chairman of the selection committee made it clear that KU was the top number 2 seed...

so... I'm thinking that your "Way over seeded in the 2's" might just be way ridiculous...

other than that... I tend to agree with you...

WilburNether 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes, and the NCAA Tournament selection committee has never, ever, in the entire history of the event, overseeded a team. I'm not sure what your level of knowledge is in these matters, but just in case you didn't know, the four #1 seeds (including KU) made it to the Final Four in each and every NCAA Tournament since they went to the 64-team field. See, that's because the committee's seeding decisions are always right.

so...I'm thinking your comment to SFBayhawk might just be way ridiculous...

LarryCarl 2 years, 6 months ago

geez Wilbur... sarcasm? really?

way lame, dude... way way way lame...

and just so that you know... my comment to SFBayhawk is spot on... and my comment to you... even more so...

Steve Gantz 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm on your side on this spat LarryCarl. If we're way overseeded, tell us, SFBayhawk which 3 seed or four seed or worse should be the 2nd seed?

Sam Constance 2 years, 6 months ago

So "officeing" (or is it "officing") is a verb now?

I'm sorry, but in spite of how cute the media thinks it is, suggesting that a Detroit upset might be possible, but coming short of actually predicting it (because they know it's about as long-shot of odds as is possible in the NCAA tournament), this is not going to be like some of the games past that all KU fans dread.

Detroit finished the year strong, but they also finished with an 11-7 record in the Horizon League. Seven losses in a conference that KU (and a slew of other programs) would have been likely to run the table in. Sure, they are slightly different from your run-of-the-mill 15-seed because of the presence of a McD's All-American, but there are a few things that make me less worried than I might be otherwise:

1) KU recruited him, but was rejected (as opposed to KU being the ones to put an end to the courtship). So there won't be any chip-on-the-shoulder stuff going on here--to the contrary, given how enamored most reports say McCallum, Jr. was with attending Late Night and seeing the 2008 team get their rings, that he might be a little star-struck. But either way, he won't have the "I was snubbed by KU" attitude.

2) Yes, McCallum, Jr. is good. Yes, he might (MIGHT) start for this year's KU squad. But here's the thing: KU has always been good because of TEAM. It's not often (or ever) that you see a Bill Self team get beat by a one-man team. The bugaboo teams for him in the past have been solid, team-ball playing guys who didn't have a standout star to lead them. UNI, VCU, Bucknell. The only one who doesn't fit that mold was Bradley, and that team had a couple of NBA-quality players on the roster. McCallum, Jr. may get his, but it will be at the expense of the team getting a victory.

3) The Detroit players, in a show of completely idiotic judgement, have been talking a little trash in the media. They clearly don't understand that, as good a 15-seed as Detroit might be, and as down a year as KU might be having, there is still a talent gap between the two teams. A formula for victory is going to require a measure of "sneaking up", and talking in the media is the last way to do that against a team that clearly plays well with a chip on their shoulder.

I'm slightly worried about the second round, but only if St. Mary's gets past Purdue, which I think is unlikely. The first round, though I can definitely identify with the rest of KU Nation's nervousness, is not going to be a problem. I will be shocked if the final margin of victory is less than 10 points.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 6 months ago

Did you really attack someone because they used the word "offices", which is commonly used now.

By the way...64 teams get a bye in the first round. KU is one of them...I think we should set our sites on the second round by beating detroit.

John Randall 2 years, 6 months ago

Actually, if the play-in games are the first round, then 60 teams get a bye, 'first four' winners have the advantage of a game under their belts . . .

EverRisingHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

If we play to our strengths, we can beat any team in the country. No one here doubts that, but I see nothing wrong with a little mental m@sturbation before this thing gets started. I love your comments Tyshawn. Lock down defense and aggressiveness on the glass can stymie any opponent who happens to be white hot from the perimeter (which is known to fell the giants in March - Northern Iowa is a case in point). We take the court with a special hybrid of humility and confidence, we can go all the way. I like the phrase 'relaxed instensity.' Picture Maurice Greene's jaw when he runs the 100 meters. His cheeks flap all over the track, but his eyes say murder. Do it Hawks.

actorman 2 years, 6 months ago

"In the case of KU, the most significant match-up pits the players vs. their mirrors."

One of the best lines that Keegan has ever written.

"They don't care that you play in historic Allen Field House or where Self offices."

????? "Where Self offices?" What the he** does that mean? Is that like talking about where he summers?

ParisHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

"They don't care that you play in historic Allen Field House"

Taking as a whole the period Coach Self has been here, KU has been the best regular-season team in the country.

During the same period, KU has been one of the best post-season teams, but not the best.

Any disappointment or negative feelings from fans come from this disparity.

There is a reason, folks: KU has the best home-field advantage in the country.

We can't bask in the glory of our home-field advantage without recognizing that, on average, KU will be better with it than without it.

That being said, please beat Detroit!

sevenyearhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't think that FOUR losses to mid-majors in EIGHT seasons is even in the same timezone as "one of the best post-season teams"

John Randall 2 years, 6 months ago

Just how many teams can you name with more wins in the NCAA tournament during those seasons?

Ben Kane 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm way more nervous about this year's tourney than in years past. I have a feeling that most fans probably feel that way too which, in turn, leads me to believe the players are less arrogant this year, which can only be a good thing because I'm sure their drive to win is unwavering throughout the years.

Robert Brown 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm always nervous at tourney time. There is great anticipation going into the tourney and usually heartache at the end. I'm sure thanks the case for fans of other elite basketball schools. Unless you get to the Final Four or win the NC, the tournament ends in disappointment. KU was a #1 seed, four of the last five years meaning that a Final Four was expected. We only got there once. Of course, a national championship can make up for a few disappointments.

I really don't know what to expect from this team. They have surprised and frustrated me all year.

El Jay 2 years, 6 months ago

totally agree. At times, Im less nervous about this years team in the Tourney b/c they have overachieved all year and really havent showed, outside of maybe the Baylor loss, that they have ever felt like they were better than the other team. That is a flaw many of our past teams have had. On the other hand there are two things that concern me about the tourney this year. 1. that we have overachieved - it makes me worry that Withey might be coming back down to earth (eventually water always finds its level) which would be a very bad thing for us. 2. and this is a much bigger concern for me, the teams in our bracket. The first three (potential) games are really tough. I think we'll end up facing Detroit (obviously), St Mary's and Belmont. Three mid-majors who are really really good. Im honestly more worried about those games than I am about a potential matchup with UNC in the Elite Eight

10point8 2 years, 6 months ago

That would be the perfect path for an opportunity exorcise our mid-major demons once and for all.

LarryCarl 2 years, 6 months ago

regarding seeding... it may be worth mentioning that KU played 4 games against other 2 seeds... one game against Duke, one game against Ohio State and two games against Missouri... and they were 2 and 2 in those games...

KU also played 4 games against 3 seeds... one game against Georgetown and three games against Baylor... and they were 3 and 1 in those games...

that would seem to make them solidly a 2 seed...

but indeed... it is also worth mentioning that 15 seeds have beaten 2 seeds 4 times in the past...

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

Humility is as useless as hubris.

Respect all.

Fear none.

Hank Cross 2 years, 6 months ago

PHOF! I was trying to think of a way to phrase this, because I never heard of any champion or any other winner who was"'humble" in the way we think of the word. To win you have to believe and expect that you will win.

gdkadjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

While I agree with jay's 2nd and 3rd lines and your last sentence, I'm not sure either of you has a good idea of what humility is. Am I missing something?

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

I believe you may be, at least from my POV.

Claiming humility, or hubris, are both vain self-deceptions in my book, when analyzing one's self.

All humans can do is act reasonably and lovingly; these are yardsticks about myself that means something to me; that I have sufficient insight to evaluate. Humility and hubris would require me to have omniscience.

Only god, or gods, or the fates, depending on one's beliefs, can know whether one is practicing sufficient humility, or too much hubris. We mortals must let reason and love be our guides. Only deities can say if humility is truly a virtue, or truly a sin, and whether we are practicing too much, or not enough of either, because the concepts, though clear enough in meaning, simply require to much knowledge about too much I cannot know about reasonably assess.

To judge one's self to have humility, or hubris, seems to me to be playing god--and that's a role no mortal is suited for, because of a lack of omniscience, and a role I've no wish to play.

And when others judge others to have humility, or hubris, they appear to be simply appropriating them from god and then weaponizing both concepts in order to try to channel and coerce the behavior of others, to label and judge others, according to yard sticks only a god has the omniscience to know. And they appear to be doing so in many cases in order to instruct, constrain, or compel another as only a god should do.

Beware of all who claim to be able to judge humility and hubris. Were I a god, I would suspect both of hubris. :-)

Free human beings guided by reason and love.

Respecting all.

Fearing none.

Leaving judgements about humility and hubris to god, gods, or fates.

This is my way, or at least the way that I strive toward.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

P.S.: I have come to this later in life and so I do from time to time forget my own rule and talk about hubris and humility in others. But I find the more I work at it the less I do it. :-)

gdkadjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Wow, thanks for taking time to formulate your answer. I appreciate your insight and your focus on acting reasonably and lovingly. While I totally agree on your thoughts about hubris, which is completely self-centered, I think I see where we disagree about humility.

In your view, it appears that humility is all about the person practicing humility, and may thus even be a cause of pride, or hubris, which undermines the original attempt at humility. I don't see it as playing God, but rather obeying God who tells me to be humble (I Peter 5:5,6 - I include this Bible reference not to convince you of my position, but merely to explain my conviction) and sets a great example of being humble.

Humility is simply putting others before oneself, both in one's estimation and actions. This takes self out of the picture and puts others first. Am I perfect at this? Clearly, no. But I'm working at it, as you are working at your POV.

Thanks for your thoughts - may there be more in the future!

JakeBarnes 2 years, 6 months ago

Given KU's record under Williams and Self you can hope for the best and fear the worst. They have normally been outstanding teams who trip up along the way or pretty good teams who either win it all or at least go to the final four. I agree with HouTexHawk, "I really don't know what to expect from this team. They have suprised and [several times] frustrated me all year." Probably fans from teams everywhere could say they feel this way. I've started taping the games so I don't have to watch when KU loses, or at least stop watching when they fall behind and I know they aren't going to catch up.

I hope I get to watch every play of the entire tournament this year.........................

packywacky88 2 years, 6 months ago

Like falling behind Missourah by 19? Just giving you crap, I do the same thing. I just have to go on a "media blackout" until I get to watch the game. I my mother calls(huge KU fan), the first thing I tell her is..:"don't tell me the score, I'm recording the game." Never thought it would be the same taped, but it is.

I'm looking for tickets to Omaha Friday and Sunday, but I can only find pairs. Are any of you board rats interested in spliting a pair with me?

ku_foaf 2 years, 6 months ago

Can't say I've been frustrated by this team! It has been pure gravy, considering what the expectations were and how far they have come.

It feels like anything can happen in this tournament. After a few teams at the top, it gets very hard to know just how good the rest of the pack really is.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

Again, if its not about the seedings, its about the match-ups, why doesn't the seeding committee seed all of the teams, and then modify the seedings for the match-ups?

Give the 1 seed the seed from 60-65 that would be the easiest match-up.

And so on.

Let's get this fixed, NCAA.

ku_foaf 2 years, 6 months ago

They do look for "stories" to make and like to schedule potential upsets. It happens to every program.

RJ King 2 years, 6 months ago

"Lets get this fixed, NCAA"

You mean right now??? Or after they are finished with player eligibility issues from a year or two ago?

El Jay 2 years, 6 months ago

this is just the dumbest idea of how to "improve" the tourney Ive ever heard. If you dont think they do a good job of selecting/seeding teams now, what makes you think that adding an extra arbitrary/subjective metric into the seeding process will make things better?

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

SerialAlias713KUFAN,

If this really were to seem the dumbest idea of how to improve the tournament you had ever heard, then you really would have lead a sheltered life steeped in orthodoxy driving you to be ashamed of your guilt. Right my friend. :-)

Just so you don't get your little serial alias panties in serial alias wads, I am quite happy with the current seeding. It is Coach Self and a lot of other coaches that and announcers that have come to perseverate on it not being about seeds, but rather about match ups.

So: you see, my little serial alias, you really don't need to waste any of your guilty orthodoxy on me.

I'm cool with the present format.

:-)

Steve Gantz 2 years, 6 months ago

Since I came to KU in the marvelous '85-86 season, we have lost in the first round a grand total of twice, that's 22 times out of 24 tourneys advancing to the 2nd round. (I omitted the year we couldn't play in '89 all you truth sticklers) Of course the two times they didn't occurred in fairly recent memory, however, Self seems to have fixed that ignominious problem by making it to at least the 3rd round in each year since, except for UNI. Generally our problem hasn't been in overlooking 1st round opponents, or even 2nd round opponents. Not sure where this thought of mine is even going, but it's factual information that should set our minds at ease for this weekend.

El Jay 2 years, 6 months ago

that would make me feel better if UNI wasnt so recent and plus that was a 1 seed not making it out of the first weekend...feels like a worse loss than the two first round exits you referred to were

Steve Gantz 2 years, 6 months ago

It's kind of pick your poison I guess. A first round loss is remember more than the 2nd round IMHO. As you might recall in 10 we entered the tourney as the overall #1 seed. We protested long and hard after seeing the draw we got. UNI was a better team than their 8th seed suggests. That was a lot of people's thinking before we played them. I'm not making excuses, but UNI probably should have been a 5 or 6 seed, thus we wouldn't have seen them until maybe a round or two later.

That UNI game is the only KU tournament game I ever remember turning off at halftime. I figured if we came back, I'd get to see them again, and if they didn't come back, well who'd want to watch that?

ku_foaf 2 years, 6 months ago

I would disagree a bit, as UNI was a highly ranked team all season, with over 30 wins, some against some good very good teams. Bucknell and Bradley had gotten a little hot at tourney time, but had not proven they were a very good team all season like UNI.

Now, what did feel worse is the team that lost to UNI seemed like it had the potential to win the tournament. Not so much with the other two teams!

A LOT of good teams have lost in the first round. I remember several very good Bobby Knight Indiana teams that went out the first day. I remember the last year Michael Jordan was at UNC, a LOADED team, and they lost in the 2nd, I believe. It does happen, we just don't like it!

SCHNBALL 2 years, 6 months ago

If the items below are not an issue, we go to the Big Easy, If not, the game we lose with have at least 2 of 3 items below not go are way.

On another note, I am very anxious to see what changes Self has made for the tournament, as he stated he would after the end of last year. In particular, his demeanor on the sideline if we have a bad start or bad stretch. I like our chances.

1. Can Conner or EJ contribute behind the arch nightly?
  2. How many defensive lapses with Tyshawn have during a bad stretch of game?
  3. JW, can we hide him on the defensive end with a quicker, smaller team.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

First change: he blew off the conference tournament. Not one new wrinkle. Amped neither game. Only one special play in two games. And so did several other high seeds that won their conferences. Smart move.

Leave it in the Madness, not the CT.

Second change: XTreme Conditioning a la Shaka Smart. He will never play 9 guys again, even with a deep bench. He will just have better 10 minute men at each backup spot. Guys have to be conditioned to play 40 minutes 2 times in 3 days.

Your best players have to be on the floor against the other teams best players, plus 5 minutes when they are not. Do this without getting gassed and you win. Period.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 6 months ago

See, that's why he said "reasonable" person.

John Randall 2 years, 6 months ago

Your definition of 'fail' clearly labels you as a voyeur spectator type. Anyone who has played sports knows cerebral flatulence can happen any time, and a team exceeding conference expectations by five games isn't dependent on the new expectations resulting from that to gain recognition as a resounding success.

Of course, I too, am greedy for more than our guys have already delivered.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 6 months ago

"Winning an eighth consecutive Big 12 championship killed any chance of being labeled failures by a reasonable person."

Precisely! Hardly anyone (outside of extreme KU fans) expected KU to win it's 8th straight conference title before the season began. This season can already be considered a success in my book. I'd like to see KU get to 30 wins (aka make it to the Elite 8), but that would just be icing on the cake.

"...I don’t feel like it is on us as much. I don’t think anybody is going to call us failures or say that we let them down or we choked or whatever it might be.”

That's how I felt just before the Big 12 tourney started. I kinda like the fact that KU doesn't have all the expectations associated with a #1 seed. Plus, we get to play in Omaha and St. Louis.

And Tyshawn, don't worry about being called a failure one bit. You and your teammates have become an excellent squad. Sometimes us fans are too fanatical for our own good. Just beat Detroit!

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 6 months ago

Saw some of the ESPN show with brief interviews of all 68 tournament coaches this AM. One segment featured ESPN pundits offering opinions of who's the best NC tournament game coach. The faves were Pitino and Consonants followed by Weepy Jim, Cheater Jim, He-who-leaves-his-school-on-probation/King Calamari of Forfeiture, and Roy. I can only surmise KU is expected to succeed and anything short of a final four is a coaching failure.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

I love ths fact that a lot of publications and commentators are called the possibilty of a Detroit upset of Kansas a "fait accompli", in other words "a done deal".

Has any Bill Self team been looked at with less expectations than this one?

Eighth title, ranking as high as #3, 27 wins, Potential POY, named COY, potential Cousy Award winner, highest #2 seed.....none of it seems to make any difference to the "experts".

I love it. if any team in America becomes more dangerous than this year's Hawks if they are disrespected, I'd like to know about it.

This team and its coaches take it personal.....and, before it's over, I think Kansas is gonna do a lot of damage!!!!

HawkKlaw 2 years, 6 months ago

So TT did finally make it as a Cousy Award finalist...'Bout damn time!

oldalum 2 years, 6 months ago

Does that mean the two of you are not reasonable people? I think Tom was talking about people who recognize that there is more value to a complete season than a one-and-out tournament. I'm disappointed if they don't go far in the NCAA tournament, but it doesn't cancel out all the good stuff they did during the season.

oldalum 2 years, 6 months ago

This was a response to Mangino and Kula, but I was too slow getting it posted.

oldalum 2 years, 6 months ago

I was listening to commentators right after the seedings were announced and they were going through all the brackets. Reece Davis kept asking who everyone thought was the one likely to upset Kansas in their bracket because Kansas is "known" for that.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 6 months ago

I think it's fair to say that KU is know for that recently. (When I talk to MU or KSU fans that seems to be the first thing they bring up when it comes to KU and the NCAA tournament...how quickly they've forgotten about '08!) But Kansas is also known as a powerhouse in college basketball, a school with great tradition, a fan base who's fanaticism is unparalleled, and a team that nobody (including mid-majors) wants to play in March...or any month, for that matter.

It's good to be a Jayhawk.

LittleRockJayhawker 2 years, 6 months ago

What is crucial to beating mid-majors (since 2001)? Humility or defending and shooting the trey?

KU v. Mid-major 3pt. %

2011: Lost by 10. #11 VCU..........KU 9.5% vs. VCU 48% 2010: Lost by 2. #9 N. Iowa.........KU 26.0% vs. N. Iowa 40% 2006: Lost by 4. #13 Bradley.......KU 38.9% vs. Bradley 52.4% 2005: Lost by 1. #14 Bucknell.....KU 9.1% vs. Bucknell 25.8%

Average 3pt %: KU: 20.9% Mid-major: 41.6% Detroit: 30.2% Purdue: 37.7% (Releford plays his heart out on D + we shoot at least 25% from three or we lose.)

Robert Brown 2 years, 6 months ago

Excellent point. It seems like the following happens when we lose:

1. The opposing team goes wild shooting the three AND
  2. We miss alot of free throws

I always get a sinking feeling early in a game when the team is hitting three, we try to play an inside game, our guy gets fouled and miss free throws. Go all the way back to the 2003 National Championship game with Syracuse, had we hit a below avg % of our free throws, we would have won the game.

Phoghorn 2 years, 6 months ago

You should post this everyday! I mean it!

Coach Self, if you are reading this (okay I know you have better things to do), could you please print this out and post it in every locker. I will sleep much better tonight if you could just do that one small favor for me and the rest of Jayhawk Nation.

Justin Carlson 2 years, 6 months ago

This just in fab melo out!!!

Look out for the Purple Kitties to make a run!!

Go Frankie!!

Aaron Rosenthal 2 years, 6 months ago

Being at once humble and confident is entirely possible. It concerns me that someone would see those as having a zero-sum relationship.

Aaron Rosenthal 2 years, 6 months ago

Regarding the notion that last year's team entered the tournament with humility. I recall a post-game interview in which one of VCU's starters detailed how Marcus Morris shook his hand before tipoff and said something like, "You've had a nice run, but now it's over."

Saying that to an opponent is beyond obnoxious. When your best player shows that level of disrespect for a quality opponent you're facing an uphill mental battle. Especially when VCU had won 4 games, including absolute routs of Georgetown and Purdue, to get there.

I believe this year's team understands its vulnerabilities and will play with tenacity. The 2012 Jayhawks are among my personal favorite KU teams based on spirit, in-season progress and effort. Wherever they end up I suspect they will honor those elements.

Nathan Scholl 2 years, 6 months ago

Way to state the OBVIOUS Keegan. But you're right, it HAS TO BE SAID. This team for some reason still thinks they can just show up. Love this team, but yes, stay HUMBLE and play like the underdog! The Hawks play better with a chip on their shoulders. Rock Chalk!!!!!!!!

Jason Keller 2 years, 6 months ago

Well, they're saying the right things. I really hope that they believe that there are 10-15 teams in this tourney who can wax KU if we don't play a fabulous game because there are. I think if KU plays inspired and smart basketball, there are only 4-5 teams who can play with us.

Look for K-State to make the elite 8 and maybe even farther now that Syracuse is without the Big East player of the year. Talk about a rough year for Syracuse, holy cow.

Steve Brown 2 years, 6 months ago

You know what really hurts, getting beat in a one and down tournament by a lower ranked seed. when wearing the home white uniforms, being the favored seed, it is tough to lose.

Well, guess what, when you are Kansas, more often than not, most of your march madness games will be against lower ranked seeds.

We have a shot at six games, the odds are about 88%+ that one of those will be a tough loss. It's March is the meat grinder, we all bring high hopes, "it could happen" and massive fear, that the worse may happen.

Facing a hot 3pt. shot mid major is usually doom for all of us. Recall '08 Davidson by a whisker and we had an immenesly talented team. I like to pretend the B12 regular season championship is fullfilling and it is, no doubt, but hard to appreciate when the big dance follows so close. Hard to have a great 35-3 season to get upset in the dance, the bittersweet bounce of the ball.

We are Kansas it is supposed to hurt when we get bounced, could be worse, no final fours in our history and headed to the Dixie.league. Rock Chalk, be quick but don't hurry.

mikehawk 2 years, 6 months ago

"Reasonable" KU basketball fans? Really? Where? Not on this blog. There are none in my family. There are some at my office here in Oklahoma that are sitting around waiting on OU spring football practice to start. Now they are "reasonable" KU basketball fans. I want to be reasonable. It is a goal of mine to be reasonable about our beloved Jayhawks. I try to be a reasonable in other areas of my life, also. But when it comes to my son, my wife, my country, my Jayhawks at tournament time, I am ANYTHING BUT REASONABLE!

katiekelley 2 years, 6 months ago

HawkKlaw 2 years, 6 months ago

Phoghorn 2 years, 6 months ago

I think we now have new troll.

Of her four comments, one was a slam at KU, and another involved the race card.

Of course, it is very hard to take someone seriously, when the use a computer generated image of Rush Limbaugh as their avatar.

We will see what she has to say in later posts, but I have a feeling we might need some troll spray.

Phoghorn 2 years, 6 months ago

I did not flag either comment FWIW. I actually agree with the retaliation comment, though I understand why it was removed.