Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bill Self: Loss gets Jayhawks’ attention

The Jayhawks try to pull it together against Baylor during the second half on Friday, March 9, 2012.

For the first time in three seasons, Kansas University’s basketball team enters the NCAA Tournament following the sting of a loss.

“I kind of like it. I hate saying that. I don’t like losing, but I kind of like the fact it’s not fool’s gold with us anymore,” KU coach Bill Self said on Monday’s Big 12 coaches teleconference. “When you make shots and don’t guard and get away with it ... our guys saw first-hand what will happen in a one-and-done type situation, which the Big 12 tournament is also.

“I kind of like our mind-set. I like where we are at. I like being able to get their attention (following Friday’s 81-72 loss to Baylor) before we go to Omaha.”

Kansas will open the NCAAs at 8:57 p.m. Friday against Detroit at CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Neb.

“You get their attention, but still they are so excited,” Self said. “In the room (Sunday), they were talking about opponents and pounding on the desk and all that, trying to act cool, but you can see they are so excited.”

Of course, there may be a downside to entering the NCAAs on the heels of a defeat.

“I would say going into it the most recent previous years we probably felt like we had a little bit more momentum only because we won the Big 12 tournament,” Self said of the past two seasons. “But like I told ’em yesterday, the four teams that were supposedly projected as No. 1 seeds, none of ’em won their conference tournament (KU, North Carolina, Kentucky, Syracuse). We didn’t play very well at all.”

KU junior forward Thomas Robinson said Monday on Jim Rome’s national radio show that the loss to Baylor “could have been a blessing in disguise.”

“The extra day benefited us, us not being so deep. We are six, seven guys deep. We all play a lot of minutes,” Robinson said.

The loss may have helped his personal motivation entering the NCAAs.

“I didn’t compete in that game. I didn’t come ready to play. I let another bunch of guys outplay me,” Robinson said. “He (Self) wasn’t happy with that at all. I wasn’t happy with it. He was definitely angry with it. It’s my fault we lost that game. It’s something we learned from. I’m kind of glad it happened, kind of a wake-up call for me, to get my head back on straight and ready for the tournament. I feel I didn’t show up. Baylor’s bigs got the best of me. It’s the last time that will happen for this year.”

Robinson, by the way, told Rome he hadn’t made a final decision on whether or not he’d enter the NBA Draft or return for his senior year. He said he was focused on KU making a run in the NCAAs and would decide at the conclusion of the season. It’s been a foregone conclusion Robinson will be off to the pros after this season.

All-America: KU’s Robinson on Monday was named to the U.S. Basketball Writers Association All-America team. He was joined on the first team by Kentucky’s Anthony Davis, Michigan State’s Draymond Green, Ohio State’s Jared Sullinger and Creighton’s Doug McDermott.

Know the foe: Self said he had plenty of information on Detroit, the Horizon League tournament champ that enters Friday’s game with a 22-13 record and No. 15 seed.

“The thing is, basically we get everything off the computer. It used to be hustling tapes, compiling video services. That is not as big a necessity now,” Self said.

“Where you are scrambling around is trying to get with people on scouting-report tendencies, which we divided this weekend among our three (assistant) coaches in which every coach has an assignment. That’s what they’ll be working on last night, today, through tomorrow morning, to get a book on our opponent as fast as we can.”

Self said he watched one of the five tapes No. 2 seed KU acquired on Detroit on Sunday night.

“They are very, very athletic, will try to pressure, and of course they’ve got a great player,” Self said of sophomore guard Ray McCallum. “They’ve got more McDonald’s All-Americans (one) than we do. We respect Ray a lot. We tried to recruit him. That is not a typical 15 seed. I was shocked when they were on that line.”

Of McCallum, Self said: “He came to Late Night a few years ago. I think in ’08. He was young. He and his mother came up (from Detroit). It really came down to his mother liked the Detroit coach a lot more than Kansas’ coach,” Self added with a laugh. Ray McCallum, Sr., is the Titans’ head coach.

Late start: Self on the fact the Jayhawks play the late game in Omaha:

“That will be a long day. Fortunately for us, we played a ton (of late games). Four of our last six (in regular season) were 8 p.m. games,” Self said. “We’ll probably have to find some way to occupy the day.

“Personally, I think that is too late to be playing ball, but our guys will adjust fine, and both teams if I’m not mistaken have to play at the same time so there will be no advantage or disadvantage.”

Vitale likes KU: ESPN’s Dick Vitale, a former head coach at Detroit, believes KU will win. Detroit opened as a 15-point underdog.

“It’s a tough, tough draw,” Vitale said. “I looked at (Detroit) at better than a No. 15 (seed). (Ray) McCallum is a stud. He’s a scorer. Kansas has lost to Northern Iowa and Bucknell in the past. Detroit is athletic, quick and they have a strut to them. But you’ve got to give the edge to Kansas. Thomas Robinson is a great player, but what helps Robinson is the development of (Jeff) Withey, their 7-footer. This is a great basketball team. No matter what happens it’s been a tremendous season for Detroit,” added Vitale. “They’ve played sensational the last 10 games.”

Roomies: McCallum and Robinson were roommates at the LeBron James Skills camp last summer.

“We’re not close friends,” McCallum told the Detroit News. “He’s a cool guy. He has a remarkable story with his mom (overcoming loss of Lisa, who died Robinson’s sophomore season).

“Kansas has a lot of great players,” McCallum added. “(Tyshawn) Taylor is a real aggressive guard. He’s a big-time scorer who makes plays. I just have to have a defensive mind-set.”

Comments

trustyourSelf 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm so glad to hear that Dick Vitale picked us to beat Detroit. So, SO glad to hear that's his prediction for that game.

EverRisingHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

If we play to our strengths, we can beat any team in the country. No one here doubts that, but I see nothing wrong with a little mental m@sturbation before this thing gets started. I love your comments Tyshawn. Lock down defense and aggressiveness on the glass can stymie any opponent who happens to be white hot from the perimeter (which is known to fell the giants in March - Northern Iowa is a case in point). We take the court with a special hybrid of humility and confidence, we can go all the way. I like the phrase 'relaxed instensity.' Picture Maurice Greene's jaw when he runs the 100 meters. His cheeks flap all over the track, but his eyes say murder. Do it Hawks.

Alohahawk 2 years, 6 months ago

It's nice to say a team needs to rebound better and not turn the ball over. Those are givens. However, I'd like to see the Jayhawks do a few things a little differently against Detroit (and really, every opponent in the tourney):

As quick footed as they both are, early in the games TT and EJ need to drive the middle more, forcing the opposition to foul. This should also force the opponent to drop back a step, thinking KU's guards are going to continue driving, which would then open space up outside for them to shoot a more open 3. EJ has good form and seems to make his 3's if he isn't rushed. His %'s are low when he's forced into a quick catch and shot, which is just about always.

I like Booby Knight's suggestion about using fakes to get open. Either that, or fake the three forcing the defense to jump towards the shooter, and then jumping into the defender to garner fouls and freethrows. I think Teahan could make that into a science, if he would just try it a few times. After all, he is very good shooting freethrows.

Along the same lines, before KU's guards drive into the paint they should be thinking, "If I drive this way, which Jayhawk big should be open so I can dish him the ball or lob it up for the dunk?" (ie. When driving the lane, passing to a big should be just as much a priority as shooting the ball.)

And stick with what has worked best for KU over the season. Three point shooting has won how many games for KU this year? Two or three, max. It's the two point shooting which KU does most efficiently!!

All this points to much less 3 point shooting, which in most cases has been KU's biggest downfall during past losses in tournament games. This KU team just can not rely on 3 pointers to win games.

KULA 2 years, 6 months ago

Lol, great ideas! You should send an email to Bill. I bet he would change his whole coaching philosophy if he got a heads up from you.

Btw, the shot fake strategy is totally irrelevant to Conner's game (like Brady's last year) because he only shoots when he's wide open--never when he's guarded. There's never anyone on him when he's shooting to go for the fake. Plus, he doesn't have the speed or quickness (again like Brady) to put the ball on the floor off a fake and make a move to the basket. But who knows--maybe in March of his 5th year senior season he'll develop a whole new skill set...

Phoghorn 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, I just HATE it when people express their ideas in a forum...

KULA,

What do you have against learning?

Brady plays and drives and dishes in the D-league all the time you bozo!

Xavier drives in the L, and even dishes occasionally. :-)

Brandon Rush, whom everyone, including me, said had a week left and put it on the deck very little for Self, dribbles and drives in the pros.

Inference for all non morons: 3s at KU are told to stay outside and strtch the defense for the bugs to work and let the guards out front do the drive and dish to which ever wing is open.

Of course Conner could put the ball on the deck and go, but that's not the scheme some years. Self wanted Selby and Brady to play some wing point last year, just as this year he has Tyshawn play a little wing point, but it's just for change of pace. Mostly a KU 3 is supposed to stretch the D for the bugs and the guards to work.

Now, I don't mind you being wrong. Everyone is wrong part of the time.

But don't ridicule thoughtful posting with foolishness; that just makes you look like jerk. :-)

KULA 2 years, 6 months ago

Brady drives and dishes in the D-league? Wow, I guess D-league defenders are even slower than D1 defenders. I'm not following Brady's career in the D league like you, apparently hoping for an eventual call-up and ultimate justification of your unabashed and unabated fan-dom (don't hold your breath) but I'm glad Brady's tearing up the D league. Unfortunately, that does us no good against VCU and is irrelevant to this thread.

And nobody's surprised that X can drive and dish. He just wasn't gonna risk injury and his pro career by mixing it up with the bigs in his one season sojourn in Kansas.

I can't figure out what you're trying to say about Brandon (7 days left? feeble left?) so I'll let that go, but I'll stand by my post that the dribble drive and dish is not in Conner's skill set. And it's moronic to compare Conner to Xavier and Brandon.

And it also seems just plain silly to me(and apparently a few other posters below) to start recommending whole new offensive schemes in March on the eve of the tournament. That's what I was commenting on. If anyone is so thin skinned that they can't take a little ribbing on this board, they shouldn't be posting. Rock Chalk!

ku_tailg8 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes, great ideas but these should've been hammered into their brains in November. I don't trust this team. They can say all they want but they are just words. Reference the Morris twins last year then throw up a horrible game against VCU. I shouldn't be worried about Detroit but I'm sure they will play well for the first half and we will have to pull away in the second. Nothing will come easy in this tourney.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

If you can't trust this bunch now, you need to go stand in line at a Dr. #$%&(Ing! Phil show, because you've got trust issues.

These guys are getting very good at "running the stuff" the way he wants it.

They They are a first year team. They have come far and it would be foolish to expect more than a season's development from them.

They are a great bunch and deserve your trust.

actorman 2 years, 6 months ago

They might deserve it, jaybate, but you can't blame anyone for being nervous at this point, given how many flameouts KU has experienced (2008 being the glorious exception, of course -- and even that was BARELY the exception (see Davidson)).

EverRisingHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

How are you going to nitpick a championship season by pointing to a close game as evidence of a near 'flameout?' People seem to have forgotten that Division I basketball is competitive - they expect KU to stomp any program with less name recognition. It's absurd.

actorman 2 years, 6 months ago

It's not that I expect KU to stomp on teams with a lesser name. But let's face it, they were extremely lucky to escape that Davidson game. They were very tight the whole game, and did not play particularly well. In fact, you could argue that one of the reasons they played so well against UNC was that they felt a sense of freedom after surviving the pressure of the Davidson game.

The thing that also stands out about that game is that it's part of a pattern of not playing well against mid-majors. If it was just that game, it would be one thing. But they've played that way in a lot of tournament games, most of which they've lost.

vsmooth 2 years, 6 months ago

Wow, it seems that you really know your basketball. Maybe you should coach the Jayhawks through out the tournament, or sit along side Bill Self! Great job!!!

KULA 2 years, 6 months ago

All PC coach-speak, but seriously, Detroit should only be a minor speed bump on the road. The real problem game is going to be St. Mary's (provided they don't get Big 10 mugged by Purdue). Hope Bill's got someone studying these guys too so we don't have to go into this game on one day's prep. These guys can play.

Ashwin Rao 2 years, 6 months ago

I am on it... I will be sending Self a report on St. Mary's soon. :)

bradh 2 years, 6 months ago

LOL, you give Aloha grief for telling Coach Self how to do his job and then in your next post you do the same thing? I'm sure if you send Coach Self an e-mail that he'd get someone right on the scouting reports for St. Mary's :-).

KULA 2 years, 6 months ago

Bill doesn't heed my emails. I know this because he continued to play Brady all last year.

Jackalope7 2 years, 6 months ago

Jeff Withey will be the key to our success. I know good gaurd play is essential in the NCAA tourney. But our best basketball this year was when Jeff was hitting on all cyclinders. I've said all year long that this team will probably only make it to the Sweet 16. I really hope I'm wrong thou. RCJH.

april28 2 years, 6 months ago

Agreed. We also won a the national championship with Cole playing spectacularly. Withey can make all the difference.

RJ King 2 years, 6 months ago

Agreed. Focus and Fierceness from T-Robb and Withey. Feed THAT, instead of hunger for barrage of 3's. It's that simple. 1) Get it inside 2) Go up with ball 3) Score or get fouled. Repeat. Create foul trouble for opponent, take away their aggressiveness. Pull away in last 10 minutes. Win.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Bill Self: Loss gets Jayhawks’ attention

I don't know if I'm buying into this so much. Didn't the first 5 losses get their attention?

I've heard the different stories: A) The loss to Baylor didn't mean anything - gives us an extra day of rest. B) We don't care what seed we are or who/where we play. C)This is a good loss for us - will give us a chance to re-focus.

It all sounds like coach-speak to me.

This is a good team. Not great. If that last loss actually does cause us to focus - then it WAS a good loss. But it was our last possible loss.

We will actually have to focus by WINNING from here on out.

Bill Walberg 2 years, 6 months ago

I Don't comment much but KU ran off 9 straight since it's last loss. This team has all the elementsvof a deep run.

Davidson...probably the toughest loss all season but Self can label this weekend as the don't look past davidson weekend.

Baylor played it's best game all season. We played our worst game sine Iowa State...still was a 1-2 possession game in last few minutes.

Strong point guard play. No team has good inside/outside game like years past. No one in our bracket is like Missouri aka 4guard team.

We have played competitively and won most games against EVERY type of system out there. Its all about match ups. We can match any team.

Of course, after saying all of this, I'm still nervous.

eastcoasthawk 2 years, 6 months ago

We are all nervous because we all know it is one and done and you have to put together a 6 game streak. A little luck and some calls are needed along the way. Would like to agree with you about being poised for a run but our 9 game run included 4 games against teams with records you will see in the tourney. 5 of them were against teams with losing schedules.

Make it to the sweet 16 and then we see just what kind of team we have. This has been a great (unexpected) year for me and anything after the sweet 16 is icing on the cake. Hope the scouting reports are solid (especially for the one day turnarounds) and Bill can keep them focused on their assignments from the reports.

Then it is just up to a bunch of 18-21 year olds to execute. I love the game at this level.

Scott Murphy 2 years, 6 months ago

I really want to stick it to this McCallum kid, after watching videos of him and listening to him talk he sounds like a complete jerk!! Here's hoping TT and EJ shut him up.

LSHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

I like the fact we have very tough teams to play in the first 2 rounds, should keep them focused without looking past anyone. GO HAWKS!!

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 6 months ago

Do we really have to play (potentially) a team with "Saint" in their name on a Sunday?

Timmay97 2 years, 6 months ago

As a KU fan, it's hard for me to listen to all these analysts jump on the Missouri bandwagon. Let's all get this straight......Missouri will make it to the sweet 16, but they won't go much further. Size WILL become a factor for that team and they will get run down.

Missouri isn't much different than Villanova a few years back with Foye, Ray and a bunch of other guards. They played 4 guards and one big man. Where did it get them in the tourney? Not even to the Final 4.

Personally, KU has a MUCH better shot of reaching the Final 4 that Mizzou. I'm a Missouri hater (guilty as charged) but I do feel it's the honest-to-God truth.

LSHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Amen, +1, couldnt agree more...etc.. You are exactly right. I have Florida beating missery in the 2nd round!!

SaltLakeHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Mizery will win the national championship... if they are hot from 3, six games in a row. They live by the 3. Now there's a bullet-proof, tourney-tested gameplan.

(malice)

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 6 months ago

Hope this motivates TRob...

From ESPN.com:

Kansas vs. Detroit: The Titans might be the most talented No. 15 seed in the history of the NCAA tournament. Along with McCallum Jr. at point guard, Detroit also has a 6-foot-10 center (Eli Holman) who began his career at Indiana. Asked Sunday evening about stopping KU's Thomas Robinson, Holman told the Detroit News: "Robinson? I can handle Robinson. He has to handle me."

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Off the record - he also said:

Withey - a big, pale stupid clown who I will break in half with my left pinky finger.

EJ - I won't even bother trying to block his shots because he never makes them anyway.

Teahan - see EJ

Releford - RELEFORD?? - Doesn't he play for Alabama ?

Taylor - would have been a star at Marquette - doesn't have any relevance at KU

It appears that this guy doesn't have much respect for us.......

(all in fun)

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Awesome!!

I hope our team does too.

SDSurferFan 2 years, 6 months ago

Bracket talk-

-SDSU was suppose to be rebuilding and not even make the tourney. They were ranked all seasn and won their league. The world is picking the 11 over the 6. Good luck. - fav matchup of first round. Nmex vs LB st. Nmex is good and can defend like crazy. But The Beach is battle tested and have a bunch of seniors. Including Ware at the pt. special player. Go Beach. - didnt ku play gtown in the 808 this season? Not real creative Committee! - UK. brutal bracket. I'd say KUs potential 2nd opponent is easier than ISU/Uconn.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

I would love to see 3 out of those 4.

I want the "m" team to get beat the very first game.

If they DO get to the final 4 -

In the National Championship game - I want them to be up by 19, we take it to overtime, they miss a last second shot and we beat them by 1 -AGAIN.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 6 months ago

Mizzou in the Final Four? That is the 'Even the Blind Chicken finds the Kernel Someday' Theory. Don't agree. Mizzou has their best team in their 112 year history. Make room for an Elite Eight banner in the Ex-Paige Arena. I wonder if the smart folks at Mizzou have consider selling the naming rights to their arena to Sudafed?

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 6 months ago

I am sorry if I offended any blind chickens; it is just a saying.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

I hope Fred and Bill talk at length about how ISU can beat UK.

I would like to see Fred run that crazy offense he ran against KU in the first ISU-KU game this year.

UK is beatable, if someone can figure out how to handle Kidd-Gilrchrist, while still double teaming inside occasionally.

I don't think ISU has that covered.

Royce can hang with Davis for sure.

But Kidd-Gilchrist?

Ugh! He's a tough match up.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 6 months ago

Bill should chat with Kevin Stallings for some more recent experience on beating KY. Stallings has allegiance to KU and would be a good confidant.

Kye Clark 2 years, 6 months ago

• Congrats to SDSU on a good season during a rebuilding year. I think I'm picking them to beat NC State.

• I hate that match-up, only because heading into the tournament I wanted to pick both teams to win their first game. Kind of like the Wichita State - VCU match-up. That being said, those are all 4 good teams and I agree should be fun games to watch.

• We did play Georgetown already, but I'm actually very glad they are our #3 seed. We obviously wouldn't be in the same region as Baylor, and I was wanting to pick Marquette to go far, so not having them in our bracket worked out. And Florida State just won the ACC tournament, so better they're in someone else's bracket too!

• I actually think UK got the easiest bracket, just based on the #4 (best possible seed they'd face in the sweet 16) & #2 (best possible seed they'd face in the elite 8). Indiana has beaten them, but they lost their senior starting PG to an ACL tear recently. And Duke is the least feared of the #2 seeds I think. Maybe Baylor can get there and give them a game, but we've seen all year that they have problems putting together multiple good performances against good teams.

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 6 months ago

Detroit is athletic, but our guys better be ready for some thug ball.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

KU will play it however they want.

And if they start thudding, and if they refs swallow their whistles on both teams, KU will get the better of a thug ball game.

On the run, we can beat them for sure.

Detroit has the same problem everyone has with KU.

Stop Thomas and the rest of the team kills you.

Guard everyone straight up and Thomas kills you.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

I care as much about DVi doing a 180 and picking KU, as I did DVi picking Detroit initially.

Zero.

He's having it both ways.

Well, there's only one way, when you're not a broadcaster trying to attract eye balls.

As someone quoted Road Warrior: Beyond Thunderdome:

"Two go in.

One comes out."

Rock Chalk, Jayhawks!

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

What's the latest on the cold and flu front with the team?

It must not be good, or they would be saying everyone was healthy.

Come on, what gives?

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 6 months ago

Don't know. It should have been mandatory that all players get flu immunization from KU Med School and other treatment (sponge bath) from KU Nursing students.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

Its never too late for a sponge bath :-)

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

Its never too late for a sponge bath :-)

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 6 months ago

Question, if this has been commented on my apologies but I haven't seen it.

If Cuse knew about the suspension of Fab Melo BEFORE the selection committee finalized the brackets...did they have the obligation to make a notification?

REHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Dookey Vee the Clapper Flapper. Irrelevant bray and burble.

rockchalkxii 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm worried Vitale picked us. He wrong so much it's scary.

theend 2 years, 6 months ago

How well KU does will come down to not our good players......but our "other " players.....EJ,Releford and Teahan. We know TRob,Withey and Taylor will be very good for the most part. But can these other three step up? Can they live up to their potential? Can they be another scoring threat? Can they great?

They will need to be great if KU has any chance of a national title.......actually......they will need to be great in every single game, including Detroit.

Ryan Michael 2 years, 6 months ago

EJ has been pretty damn consistent all season. Maybe not in 3 point shooting, but in every other avenue.

If you are only judging based on 3 point shooting, then do we also judge TT only on his turnovers?

No. EJ is arguably our best defender... He's our best ball handler.... He's our best assist man.

Quite frankly I don't think EJ should be on your list of "other" players, simply because he doesn't score 20+ points a game. EJ is averaging more minutes than Taylor if I recall, and there is a good reason for that. He's all but eliminated his turnovers, he plays excellent defense, and he feeds the ball inside better than any other guy on the court.

theend 2 years, 6 months ago

Good point. I guess I was thinking of EJ in that hoping he would be more of a scoring threat.....like he was vs A&M.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 6 months ago

I disagree..I think the big three have not played to full potential lately. If they are on..we move on. But I will say that at some point in the tourney, someone will need to step up who is not usually relied upon for a big offensive game and most likely it will be EJ.

Actually, EJ should be in that top group.

Okay, then Conner.

This post has more contradictions than Jocelyn Wildenstein has had facelifts.

theend 2 years, 6 months ago

Just keep Creighton the $%^& away from us......that's all I have to say. I'm happy we would not have to deal with them at least for a couple games. KU would have a very hard time getting by them.

Keep them the %^&* away from us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stinkybulldog 2 years, 6 months ago

I'd rather play Creighton than North Carolina.

theend 2 years, 6 months ago

Sure.....me too. But I'm thinking Creighton is the UNI of 2012. Have you seen that McDermott kid??? I hope somebody beats them before we have to deal with them. They terrify me.

stinkybulldog 2 years, 6 months ago

They aren't really an underdog like UNI or VCU was. They are ranked 19/20. Teams that can hit the 3 always scare me, because KU doesn't defend it.

theend 2 years, 6 months ago

I agree. Seems like KU is always one of the last to play in the 1st round. I wish they were early on Thursday.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 6 months ago

Same thing every year... At least I will have had 2 days of basketball saturation if the unthinkable happens.

Which it won't..

jgkojak 2 years, 6 months ago

I like our late start time -

1) Its a compliment - they put the teams later who are either a) west coast teams or b) the teams that will give you the highest national rating.

2) Your kids are in bed, and you can settle down and just watch w/no interruptions - kind of a nice "zone out" experience - which you definitely cannot do later in the Tourney

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

9:00 Tip Off?

Save the big name for last to get keep all the televisions on to run those commercials!!!

packywacky88 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm looking for tickets to Omaha Friday and Sunday, but I can only find pairs. Are any of you board rats interested in spliting a pair with me?

Justin Carlson 2 years, 6 months ago

This just in FAB MELO out!!!

Look out for the Purple Kitties to make a run!!

Go Frankie!!

RJ King 2 years, 6 months ago

Latest Scoop (Jardine) . . . The Fabulous Melo is out for the tournament. (Academic Re-Probation???) Redo your brackets everyone. The Cuse is probably gonna lose. (And another Fine mess we're in, Holly.)

NH_JHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Too bad all the Cuse fans are "high" on their expectations because they just crashed.

Alohahawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Even with Melo, Syracuse would have found it a very difficult road to the Final Four. Without him, I give them a 1 in 32 chance. The East bracket has turned up its first wild card without playing a game.

As we say in Hawaii, Syracuse is in deep Kim Chee.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

Fab Melo seems the least of Syracuse and Jim Boeheim's worries.

Reputed allegations of child molestation of a former assistant coach.

Reputed allegations of that former assistant coach's wife bopping players.

Reputed allegations of performance enhancing drug improprieties.

Reputed allegations of defamation of character involving Jim Boeheim.

And some of the above appears to be "before" serious investigations really get underway.

Whew!!!!

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 6 months ago

Kim Chee? Wasn't he the Korean Gold Medal Table Tennis player?

Phoghorn 2 years, 6 months ago

Hey, don't be dissing Holly Rowe...you know I got a crush on her.

katiekelley 2 years, 6 months ago

This would never happen at KU...

katiekelley 2 years, 6 months ago

Minority coaches have a great chance this year.

Phoghorn 2 years, 6 months ago

Who in the flipping cares about race. Oh, yeah...you Liberals. Ron Paul 2012!

Phoghorn 2 years, 6 months ago

To clarify, most Americans have moved on from our past. We don't put people into categories. The ONLY ones who are constantly bringing up race are the liberal Democrats who must continue to play the race card in an attempt to get votes.

Ron Paul wants to make American better for all Americans, not just white, black, brown, etc.

actorman 2 years, 6 months ago

You are joking, right??? Or you need to back off on the drugs.

Have you ever heard of Rush Limbaugh, that great liberal? You know, the one who said that of course Colin Powell would vote for Obama because melanin is thicker than water? The man who makes racist statements on virtually every program?

And then of course there are all those liberal tea-partiers who spit on African-American congressmen and who have held numerous signs with racist pictures of Obama.

But of course you're right: only liberals bring up race.

Dan Harris 2 years, 6 months ago

Keep the fnnnn politics off here! Go to msnbc or cnn if you want to spout that bullsheet!

alexandriaka 2 years, 6 months ago

Starting to get a little nervous. I have complete faith in the boys...just many people have us losing. Hope our minds are right!

Alohahawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Hang on to that faith, alexandriaka.

When the season began a number of KU fans had doubts about the Jayhawks. They shouldn't anymore.

To began the season, few had faith that KU was going to win the Big 12. KU won by two games over SECond place Mizzery.

After what KU has achieved this season, against a top rated schedule, KU's fans need to keep complete faith. This team has earned it.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Tuesday March 13, 2012 - 12:15 PM Kansas' Robinson worthy of POY, but Kentucky's Davis is better

Someone PLEASE put this under T-Rob's nose.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

dang it man - quit making sense. what fun is that? lol

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

it's all good, friend. Your points are all right on. I was just so mad reading that stupid article, I was ready to suit up and go play myself !!

I thnk the "bulletin board material" is best left to us fans and the players should concentrate on what they do best - win.

KPOP 2 years, 6 months ago

KU has played very good ball this year at times. It seems if we stay aggressive and attack the basket and force the action that we are a much better team. I think Tyshawn brings the ball up the court too slow and deliberate. I understand we are not a deep team but we still have to make the competition uncomfortable or we start playing their game and then we all know what happens. If you're making shots and creating turnovers you don't get nearly as tired as when you are struggling to score. RCJHGKU

Kye Clark 2 years, 6 months ago

You've been listening to Bob Knight too much.

VancouverHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Our players need to pump fake more often, set more down screens, avoiding shooting when they first handle the ball, and bring E. J. off the bench.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 6 months ago

You really should check your facts before posting. Vitale picked KU over Detroit. Here is a link to his blog:

I have read several post indicating that Vitale picked Detroit, but I did not see a single link to that information.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

JayHawkFanToo - Dicky V is flip floppingl. On selection Sunday he did choose Detroit. He said something to the effect that Kansas can't match up with them and he was picking Detroit to win.

Then he must have sobered up.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 6 months ago

Can you show me one link, one article, one reference anywhere that indicates that Vitale picked Detroit? Just because somebody posts on a board somewhere does not make it true. I don't care much for Vitale anymore as he has become pretty much a Duke/UNC cheerleader and kind of a cartoon character; so, nothing would please me more that for you to produce a link to the comments you claim he made.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 6 months ago

Regardless..I'm as sick of Vitale as you are. I can easily believe he told the Jayhawks to look out.

But his heart is with Detroit so it wouldn't bother me much I'm just tired of his act in general.

KansasComet 2 years, 6 months ago

Victory will come from a team effort. This time of year, it is play your butt off, or check out of the game and give someone else a chance to try. I don't know who will step up on this year's team, but I can't wait to find out.

Ben Kane 2 years, 6 months ago

i'm with you. I think being a 2 is better for us mentally than being a 1 and thinking your the sh*t. plus we can now take a little disrespect factor into the tourney.

let's stick it to obama for abandoning us!

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 6 months ago

Obama has been the kiss of death for Kansas for the last two years and to the entire country for the last three; I am glad that he did not pick KU. He did pick MU to make it to the Final Four; of course, Missouri is in play in the next election...just saying...

Ben Kane 2 years, 6 months ago

detroit is a very good team, but i just can't see us losing the first game after a loss.

i'm not sure about the stats for us, but the second game of a weekend always scares me more than the first regardless of opponent. you only get one day to prepare, you're tired, and you aren't as psyched up as you are for the first game.

I'd much rather see purdue than st mary's but i don't think that will happen. I don't know much about st mary's this year but it sounds like everybody is worried about them. does anyone have some specific reasons as to why? style of play? matchups?

Kye Clark 2 years, 6 months ago

As to KU's record on the second game of the weekend in the tournament, consider VCU, UNI, UCLA, & Georgia Tech. These are the tournament losses during the Self era of the tournament that have happened during the second day. Now Bradley, Bucknell, & Michigan St happened on the first game of the weekend. I think there's probably something to the second day being more difficult for us, as Michigan St. was probably the better team in '09, and the Bradley & Bucknell losses were some time ago. More recently we do seem to have trouble on the second day. Consider also Davidson & Memphis in '08, our only tough games of the tournament coming on the second day.

The problem I have is the explanations for why this happens. I see a lot of fans, such as yourself, saying "you only get one day to prepare, you're tired, and you aren't as psyched up as you are for the first game." However, shouldn't the same be true of our opponents? It's not as if the other team is getting a week to prepare for us whereas we're only getting the one day. I would think that with less preparation time the advantage should swing even greater over to the elite level programs - the high-profile coaches, elite level athletes, etc.

Anyway, I don't know why KU seems to struggle so much on that second game, but I do know that it's not because our opponents are working with unfair advantages.

Ben Kane 2 years, 6 months ago

true for both teams except getting pumped up, that should be easier for the underdog team, which we never are.

Kye Clark 2 years, 6 months ago

"...you aren't as psyched up as you are for the first game."

Well true we aren't the underdog often, but we should technically always be more psyched for the second game, as typically we will be more heavily favored in the first game. At worst, you can't make the argument that we are MORE psyched for the first game based on the underdog argument.

Ben Kane 2 years, 6 months ago

i'm tired of arguing with you... being more psyched for the first game has nothing to do with seeds and has everything to do with the anticipation of it all week.

Kye Clark 2 years, 6 months ago

Well, tell yourself whatever you need to do to rationalize things away. But the problem (again) with your argument is that shouldn't that apply to every team if that is the case? I mean, why would KU in particular be so much more psyched for the first game?

Ben Kane 2 years, 6 months ago

and i doubt purdue or st mary's is running around trying to find scouting reports for detroit.

Kye Clark 2 years, 6 months ago

Well they probably aren't getting scouting reports for KU either. That match-up is even enough that they are most likely focusing solely on that game.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 6 months ago

Pretty sure GT was an Elite 8 game in 2004 that we lost in OT.

Kye Clark 2 years, 6 months ago

It was an Elite 8 game. Elite 8 games are the second game on the second weekend of the tournament. That is my point. Not just second round games. Almost all of our tournament struggles, even the wins, come in that short turnaround game, it's why I mentioned Davidson ('08) and UCLA ('07) which were also elite 8 games, as well as Memphis in '08. In between the Davidson & Memphis games, we come out strong against UNC...the first game of the third weekend of the tournament.

RJ King 2 years, 6 months ago

I would rather face St. Mary's than Purdue. A healthy Hummell could match up OK with T-Robb, and they have a big, slow-ish center. We have less success (fewer opportunities to score) when a team slows it down.

I've seen SMC up close and personal. They are a very likeable, fun team (lots of Aussie's), but KU should overpower. Waldo hasn't the length of Withey, and Rob Jones is no T-Robb. Steindel has some length, but Rele should shut him down. Delavedova brings the ball up AND shoots the trey, but he has not faced the speed of TT or EJ.

They beat us only if we don't play inside AND they make 9-10 3's. OR if we don't take care of Motown Mercy first.

actorman 2 years, 6 months ago

You make some good points, BayHawk. (Where are you, BTW? I'm in Emeryville.) But what scares me the most is that I think KU would be more fired up for Purdue because they sound like a "real team."

RJ King 2 years, 6 months ago

And we bowed out to Purdue some years ago when they had Glen "Big Dog" Robinson (if these guys were even born then!). I'm in WC.

danmoore 2 years, 6 months ago

I love and hate this tournament. The excitement is unparalleled but there are too many landmines. Most of the teams have no chance of winning it and are playing with house money.

Part I

jaybate News Service (jns):

Dateline: Where ever you can get cheap, unreliable information in phase space.

Slug: satiric ins sports news summary done out of boredom, while waiting for KU-Detroit Mercy game

jns stringers have worked over time cribbing news headlines from leading sports web sites, explaining them vaguely close to the truth, and then adding irreverent, likely false inferences. jns is not responsible for the reports of these stringers, because most of them reputedly work for British Intelligence, or Mossad, or Chinese intelligence, or other intelligence organizations reputedly deeply engaged in biasing the outcome of the US Presidential election, and so willing to work for ins gratis in their down times.

Ineligible: Fab Melo of Syracuse for unexplained eligibility issues. Inference: Syracuse may have been told something like, "Lose the kid before the tournament, so we don't have to go through the risk of a forfeited National Championship, and we'll not give you the death penalty for all the other reputed stuff on your plate."

Dismissed: Reputed problem child Glen Rice Jr of Georgia Tech for permitting unlawful operation of a vehicle in a bang-bang incident at a bar. Inference: Two coaches couldn't bring this kid around and his daddy has the bucks to make serious legal head aches if anyone tries to tie the kid into anything, so best to say adios and good luck.

Fired: Matt Dougherty by SMU for taking a scandal ridden rich kid school up to 80-109 after 5 years, because the AD Orsini said the practice facilities can attract better players with a new coach. Inference: this sounds vaguely like, "We've tried it the right way, and now we're going to get a coach in here who will try it the wrong way again."

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

Note: AD Orsini didn't really say exactly that, but something that seemed almost as insipid.

Part II

Retained: Ben Howland of UCLA, because he has two top recruits signed and a shot at two more, and it would have cost $3M to dump him. Inference: UCLA's AD wants to get Howland's two recruits, maybe three, locked into UCLA, before they shop for a new head coach next season.

S-Canned: Darrin Horn after 4 seasons by South Carolina AD Eric Hyman for going from 21 wins per season to 10 wins per season, instead of producing the Top 25 program Hyman said he seeks. Inference: Darrin Horn, who was never a great coach at Western Kentucky, just a good one, probably either wouldn't hire an AAU coach, or wouldn't cheat enough, or both, to bring the players in to a program that probably lacks the gravitas to bring them in legally in an era of reputed check book recruiting.

Grovelled: President Obama selected Kentucky, Ohio State, Mizzou, and UNC, as his Final Four picks. Inference: Desperate for votes, the President turned his back on not one, but three schools from his mother's home state of Kansas, and instead selected schools from swing states crucial to his election. Of course, after Santorum won the Kansas Republican primary, he probably figured the state of Kansas was a lost cause regardless.

(Note: Despite a smattering of facts, the above Parts I and II of this post are essentially all fiction written entirely for the amusement of certain board rats with time on their hands No malice is intended. I mean, some days the sports news is so disillusioning you have to make fun of it to get through till the game on Friday.)

packywacky88 2 years, 6 months ago

Does any one else enjoy that 1950s car insurance add as much as I do?

Ron Franklin 2 years, 6 months ago

I have issues with picking against Kansas in my brackets. I end up having them win the National Championship every year. Kind of puts me at a disadvantage in bracket pools!

mispayku 2 years, 6 months ago

I pick them every year, too! I call it: emotional loyalty mixed with faith. I’m ready to get this tournament started! The anxiety is overwhelming. I’m trying not to get too hopeful this year but optimism keeps creeping in, as it does year after year. Regardless, I’m proud of these guys! RCJH!