Originally published March 11, 2012 at 05:37p.m., updated March 11, 2012 at 09:15p.m.

KU is No. 2 seed in Midwest region, will face 15th-seeded Detroit at approximately 8:57 p.m. Friday

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor smiles as teammate Conner Teahan responds to a question about superstitions during a news conference following the NCAA selection show. The Jayhawks, who claimed the 2 seed in the Midwest Regional will take on 15 seed Detroit in the round of 64 teams in Omaha, Neb.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas men's basketball coach Bill Self talks to reporters following his team's selection as a No. 2 seed on March 11, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU players Tyshawn Taylor and Conner Teahan

KU players Tyshawn Taylor and Conner Teahan talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' announcement as a No. 2 seed on March 11, 2012.

Download podcast

The Kansas men's basketball team has been selected as a No. 2 seed in the Midwest region and will face 15th-seeded Detroit at approximately 8:57 p.m. Friday on truTV.

North Carolina is the No. 1 seed in that region.

"I don't think that Detroit is an easy first-round game," KU coach Bill Self said Sunday. "I think when you think of 2 and 15s in the past, you certainly don't see Detroit being on that line. They're very capable."

KU recruited Detroit's best player, Ray McCallum Jr., who was a McDonald's All-American in 2010.

"He is a good guard. I have been hearing a lot about him these last few years," KU guard Tyshawn Taylor said. "He is tough, and I'm sure he is going to be aggressive since the team runs through him."

McCallum plays for his father, Detroit coach Ray McCallum.

If the Jayhawks advance past Detroit, they'd play the winner of the 7-10 matchup between St. Mary's and Purdue.

If KU advances to the Sweet 16, its next potential two games would be in St. Louis, Mo.

Here are the seeds for the Midwest region.

1. North Carolina
  11. N.C. State
  12. California/South Florida
  13. Ohio
  14. Belmont
  15. Detroit
  16. Lamar/Vermont

Comments

gchawk 7 years, 9 months ago

Good region. Should be interesting.

okiedave 7 years, 9 months ago

Agree. Especially since Belmont is in our direct path to the National Championship.

Jeffery Barrett 7 years, 9 months ago

Not so fast, my friend........ One game at a time.

master16 7 years, 9 months ago

that's what we thought last year. i also see a killer b in Belmont Bruins in there, thank goodness we're not playing them in the first round.

Jace FitzGibbon 7 years, 9 months ago

my friend drew hanlens their starting pg. dude is money

Dirk Medema 7 years, 9 months ago

Detroit with Ray McCallum in the 1st round is plenty.

lurkerhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

Mizzou has the easiest bracket to get to the final four

Mandie Eutsler 7 years, 9 months ago

I disagree. I thought they kind of got the short end of the stick...

jwolf 7 years, 9 months ago

exactly, so the bs on the tele interview is like ' who are you kidding'. Jayhawks only got #6 seed overall and therefore be playing the #3 seed UNC to win the bracket. How do they figure Missouri is the #5 seed playing Michigan State #4 to win the bracket??????

Brianna Zaleski 7 years, 9 months ago

The representative for the selection commit said thatKU was the #5 and that geography played a big part after that. Keeping KU in St. Louis appeared to be more impt than their overall ranking.

Rock Chalk 7 years, 9 months ago

The guys on ESPN said so, an easy road to the Final Four and could win it all. Also said KU had a tough schedule. No cake walk.

Lance Hobson 7 years, 9 months ago

After getting upset as #1 two years in a row you can say that? We barely made it in 2008. Nothing is a cakewalk.

rob4lb 7 years, 9 months ago

Hard to say about KU's draw. We could play a mid-major in the second round in St Mary's. Possible rematch with Georgetown. I think UNC has a tougher draw than KU.

James McGuire 7 years, 9 months ago

That St. Mary's matchup (given we both make it out of the first round) scares me.

actorman 7 years, 9 months ago

Yep, me too. They're in my area and believe me, they're tough.

dylans 7 years, 9 months ago

Not easy, but they don't play defense.

Steve Gantz 7 years, 9 months ago

I like it! But I've liked our chances every year for the last 25 years or so.

mojayhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

Could we show a little excitement when our name is called?

rockchalk_dpu 7 years, 9 months ago

I completely agree, and was extremely annoyed that the CBS crew gave them a hard time for not jumping up and down to celebrate. Its our 26th trip in a row, sorry we didn't arrange a watch party in the fieldhouse and drop confetti, I'm looking at you Missouri.

Mandie Eutsler 7 years, 9 months ago

WoRd.... Sort of like not storming the court....ahem...Mizzou almost did that this season...

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 9 months ago

TV5 had an interview with HC Self and he indicated that the team was told to clap before its name was called and that is what CBS showed on TV. HC Self indicated that the players were excited when Kansas name was actually called bu that was not shown. CBS really sucks.

actorman 7 years, 9 months ago

Unbelievable! The whole staged excitement thing is stupid enough to begin with, but it's even worse knowing that people are being told when to react.

When they first started showing these things a while back, they were just televising the bubble teams, which made perfect sense (especially if the reactions were actually spontaneous), because it was interesting to see how teams and their fans responded when they made or didn't make it to the Dance. But I am so sick of these ridiculous staged events, and it seems like they're doing more of them each year. And I don't understand how anyone can actually think it's entertaining. Why do they keep showing this crap??? (Don't answer; it's because it's CBS.)

jhox 7 years, 9 months ago

I agree, act like you've been there before. I wouldn't want us to come off looking foolish like MU did last night when they acted like the won the national championship rather than a 3 game tournament.

baldwinjhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

MIZZOU DROPPED CONFETTI! Wow...first time in a Limo guys? pathetic. lol

Ian Legler 7 years, 9 months ago

Bill said that the picture and everything was from before we even knew where we were ... He said once we got our draw the boys started celebrating ... Just bad timing on the camera shot ... We're happy, I know I am.

Kit Duncan 7 years, 9 months ago

It's kind of like expecting to win at AFH, thus no fans storming the court. KU "expects" to play in the NCAA Tournament every year, it's just a question of which seed and which region. I didn't expect a lot of emotion, the guys are now getting their minds on business.

RCJH Go KU!!!

RockCaCO3 7 years, 9 months ago

You mean like dropping confetti? Surely no team would drop confetti during the selection show. Oh wait, I forgot about Misery....

Rock Chalk 7 years, 9 months ago

Bill Self said in the interview posted that the CBS camera crew told them to begin clapping before they were on camera. He said the guys didn't know what to do. CBS' fault.

Rolland Remmert 7 years, 9 months ago

Nice to know they are basketball players not thespians. Nice to see they didn't have to summon the student body for recogniton of the pairing.

rob4lb 7 years, 9 months ago

St. Mary's would scare me. The key is to get out of next weekend and make the Sweet 16.

JHawk06 7 years, 9 months ago

Agreed, St Marys worries me. Hot shooting guard oriented mid majors always worry me..

texashawk10 7 years, 9 months ago

Matthew Dellavedova is a Cousy award finalist and St. Mary's is a very good team with a deep bench that protects the ball. This is a potential match up that should scare the hell out of all KU fans.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

I hope every team we face scares the hell out of our team.

We tend to look stupid when we're over confident.

Steve Gantz 7 years, 9 months ago

Anyone notice when they were showing the brackets they had KStates record as 32-2?

Jace FitzGibbon 7 years, 9 months ago

lol yeah i saw that. i was like wow big mess up there

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 9 months ago

It is CBS as in See-BS after all....what else did you expect?

gchawk 7 years, 9 months ago

I saw that too, but thought that maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me. Interesting that all the teams that are in the Big XII North, I should say "what was the Big XII North", made the tournament. Glad to see Wichita State make it to the dance.

dylans 7 years, 9 months ago

Yeah no more gripping texas. Is it better to lose to Kansas twice a year or once?

Miguel Colón 7 years, 9 months ago

We have too many mid majors in our region and I think our boys might try to look ahead to a meeting with Roy! I am scared! Anyone else worried??

Jeffery Barrett 7 years, 9 months ago

I doubt these players are looking ahead to Roy/UNC.

The way things have gone recently, I would imagine that Self would squelch looking ahead in 1 second.

Miguel Colón 7 years, 9 months ago

They have laid out a good path for us, and is Henson still hurt for NC?

Miguel Colón 7 years, 9 months ago

Mandie Eutsler 7 years, 9 months ago

A little, but Coach will remind them that they lost to Davidson earlier this year and maybe show a little tape of all our other early exits and maybe they won't want to be that team. That's why they won the Big 12 this year, they didn't want to be the guys that ended the streak. they have worked hard all season and will continue to do so. HCBS will have them ready to go.

mgphill 7 years, 9 months ago

I don't think our boys particularly care about Roy...

John Randall 7 years, 9 months ago

None of 'our boys' know Roy as anything but a 'coach from some place back east.' It's the fans who think about all the disappointments from 1989 to 2003 as something to get even for.

UNC got their butts beat in conf tourney just like we did. There's at least an even chance only one will make it to Regional Final.

I'll worry about UNC if and when we both win in Sweet 16, meantime plenty of ball to be played. Let's start with Detroit next Friday in Omaha.

EverRisingHawk 7 years, 9 months ago

That's right. Get ready to grind ever minute of every game - that should be the focus.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 9 months ago

Yeah...I'm still fuming at Roy for those 4 Final Four appearances and having more wins than any other team over that time period.... You must really hate Ted Owens.

actorman 7 years, 9 months ago

It's gotten to the point where I'm always worried.

I was telling a friend that I don't really enjoy Selection Sunday any more. I think I've become shell-shocked from all the tough losses over the years and now I just feel a sense of panic as each game approaches. Nothing like a healthy appreciation for sports in its proper place, eh?

LJ Gee 7 years, 9 months ago

I totally agree. On the one hand I like our bracket because I think were better than everyone in it except for UNC - Georgetown is a pretty even matchup but since we beat them, I'll give that one to us. However, there are several teams in this region that really scare me as a mid-major. Detroit is as good of a 15 as I remember seeing although Im not too worried about them just because they have become a trendy pick - were more likely to lose when nobody thinks we will. St Mary's is a really scary matchup for us and I think Belmont is a really really good team (not to mention the B thing).

Miguel Colón 7 years, 9 months ago

connhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

I think Saint Mary's has upset potential, but we've got a good region otherwise. The Tar Heels are definitely good, but I'd prefer them over MSU, Duke, or UK.

connhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

Sorry, I mean Syracuse instead of Duke. I would've loved to have Duke as our 1 seed.

Joe Satterwhite 7 years, 9 months ago

Kind of worried about a potential match-up with St. Mary's...anyone else

rob4lb 7 years, 9 months ago

I am, only because of our history with mid-majors. Baylor beat St Mary's by 13.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 9 months ago

Big 12 get the highest percentage of teams:

Big 12 - 6 out of 10 = 60% Big 10 - 6 out of 12 = 50% Big East - 9 -16 = 56% ACC - 5 out of 12 = 42% PAC 12 - 2 out of 12 = 17% SEC - 4 out of 12 = 33%

I guess this answers the question of which is the strongest Conference.

manginodrh00lz 7 years, 9 months ago

Strongest conference is the last one standing.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 9 months ago

So, you are saying that if Butler would have won one of the last two years the Horizon League would have been the strongest conference? The last one standing is a team, not a conference. The percentage of teams going to the tournament determines the strongest conference.

Jeffery Barrett 7 years, 9 months ago

It's about time. Hasn't been this way in most years.

mgphill 7 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, but the Big 12 isn't on the east coast....that counts for like 10-15%.

actorman 7 years, 9 months ago

In the immortal words of Shania Twain, "that don't impress me much." Even if you're right about what it says about this year's regular season (which is debatable), let's see how the conference does in the tournament before making a big deal about it.

Let's face it, the Big 12 has a pretty pathetic tournament history to make up for.

MrPilot 7 years, 9 months ago

Rock Chalk! I couldn't be much happier with our draw.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 9 months ago

I guess I liked it when the tournament was just about basketball. Today it's about selling out arenas and creating made for tv match ups.

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 9 months ago

I can't wait to hear the Mizzou people cry about not being placed in Saint Louis.

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 9 months ago

Nice find! Somehow they will tie it to another screw-job by the Big 12. LOL

Jace FitzGibbon 7 years, 9 months ago

lol its cause i post on the post dispatch a lot. its funny to read mizzou fans ramblings

milehighhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

Too funny that posters are blaming Obama for being a 2 seed. Wow...the ignorance is stunning.

actorman 7 years, 9 months ago

Awesome link, STL, thanks. I love how the idiots talk about how KU should revere them as "winners" and "champions." I would call them pathetic, but that's not nearly an extreme enough word for them. Can't wait to see them flame out per the usual.

Brian Skelly 7 years, 9 months ago

It's already started as STLJayhawk has pointed out.

What I love (or not so) about Mizzou "fans" is that no matter what happens, if anything remotely adversely affects them its a conspiracy of one form or another. It's crazy. And its not just the whackos posting on boards/blogs/etc. There is always some seriously insane #$@% flying out of their mouths if they think they're getting mistreated.

One of my Mizzou friends ACTUALLY THINKS (no kidding) that KU lost to Baylor on purpose so we wouldnt have to play Mizzou for the Big 12 Tournament title?!?!?!?! Unreal. And he was serious. And this is normally rational, intelligent person.

While I think we can all agree that most forum/blog/posts/ect can be over the top and tend to be more slanted and irrational than if one was to voice these opinions amongst mixed company... the GAP between those ramblings of Mizzou "fans" posting and actual "live" Mizzou fans is alarmingly smaller than most schools followers I would imagine.

Okay. Im done. STLJayhawk, I hope to see you and the Dome in two weeks !

jwolf 7 years, 9 months ago

they will probably have as big a turn out where they are going. but what grips me is they got the #5 overall seed and could play Michigan State for the bracket championship, while we have to play the #3 seed over all for the bracket championship

texashawk10 7 years, 9 months ago

Missouri didn't get the 5th overall seed. KU is in St. Louis because they were seeded higher than Missouri, therefore they get preferential treatment in what region they are placed in. The NCAA quit doing the "S" curve seeding a few years ago and instead put the highest seeded team closest to home.

Steve Gantz 7 years, 9 months ago

Hate to say it, but Missouri should have been a 1 instead of UNC.

rob4lb 7 years, 9 months ago

How do you figure? UNC wins ACC regular season and gets nudged in the tourney final. Look at their non-conference schedule- much tougher than MU.

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 9 months ago

I dunno if you saw the same interview with the committee, but Mizzou was ranked 8th due to their weak non conference strength of schedule.

Steve Gantz 7 years, 9 months ago

Nah, I missed that, turned it off as soon as our bracket was finished.

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 9 months ago

Yea, I don't necessarily agree with it.... But I never pass up an opportunity to rub anything in Mizzou's nose.

TX_RKCHAK 7 years, 9 months ago

Yep. I caught it. And it sure brought a smile to my face.

jwolf 7 years, 9 months ago

if that is true wouldn't they have to play Kentucky to win the bracket of the #1 overall. It looks to me like they are the #5 seed over all and are playing Michigan State #4 overall to win that bracket, hmmmm what does that make us overall????

Steve Gantz 7 years, 9 months ago

Based on the conf. tourney, only 4 losses. Just an opinion, don't worry, I'm not a closet troll or nothin!

actorman 7 years, 9 months ago

It's easy to have only four losses when you play one of the worst non-conference schedules in the country. If KU had had Misuse's schedule, they would have had only three losses (including the one to Baylor in the Big XII tournament).

I love that the committee penalizes teams for not playing anyone outside of the conference. There should be an incentive to play tough nonconference games.

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 9 months ago

Another opportunity for the Mizzou fanbase to blame the Big 12 for not sticking up for them. LOL

Rolland Remmert 7 years, 9 months ago

As the committee representative said....the weak preseason schedule was the reason for the decision of a low #2 instead of a high #2 let alone a #1

Jeffery Barrett 7 years, 9 months ago

I just hope none of the players say anything to any opponents players before the game.

MrPilot 7 years, 9 months ago

KU the #5 overall team! Straight from the Committee Chair himself! They were "concerned" with Mizzou's "low strength" nonconference schedule.

TX_RKCHAK 7 years, 9 months ago

Imagine that... much closer to a three seed than a number one. And there was no hesitation from the Committee Chair in his commentary

jwolf 7 years, 9 months ago

nice to hear him say that but it's just political talk for the basketball illiterate. everyone knows that in a bracket the over all #1 Kentucky would get to play the over all #8 to win one of the brackets. Missouri must be the #5 because they are not across from Kentucky, in fact they are across from the #4 Michigan State. Our Jayhawks in theory would play the #3 over all to win the bracket. That makes us the #6 seed. I hate it when they lie on national television and don't think we are smart enough to know it. Maybe Missouri fans are right about some of the bs going on behind the scenes?

jayhawks71 7 years, 9 months ago

You can't look at the final bracket to draw conclusions about overall seeds because the brackets are based on certain principles that the committee adheres to besides seeding on the S curve (e.g., conference foes can't meet in first round and they try to avoid having them meet before regional, better teams get priority for closer to home). Your logic would suggest that everyone in Kentucky's bracket would be the weakest of the bracket seed (weakest 2, 3, 4, ....16) and that just isn't the case. It never has been the case.

actorman 7 years, 9 months ago

You're right about the many mitigating factors, jayhawks71. However, you're not right about how it would look if it truly were an S curve. If that were the case, they would have the weakest 2, the strongest 3, the weakest 4, the strongest 5, etc. It wouldn't just be the weakest of every seed. Otherwise, it wouldn't make any sense to call it an S curve; the whole point is that it goes back and forth.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 9 months ago

Each #1-4 Seed would be ranked 1-16. The S-Curve would be used as much as possibe but you have restrictions that you must deal with: Teams in the same Conference, Hosting Schools not able to play in their own market, BYU playing on Sunday, etc. So if you had a weaker #2 seed, that would be balanced out with a stronger #3 and/or #4 seed. The strongest bracket if you were to add up the best #1, #2, #3 or #4 seeds you would come up with 28 points: the weakest would be 40 point. Therefore, if each total was 34 points (28 + 40 / 2 = 34) the Committee did an outstanding job!

Scott Morgan 7 years, 9 months ago

2 McDonald's All Americans, no academics, road to the NBA............Detroit. Yep Chuckberry.

deepind 7 years, 9 months ago

Glass half-empty look: Too many mid-majors in our bracket! :( Coach Self's record against mid-majors in the tourney is not very promising!!

Glass half-full look: We may not have to play a powerhouse team until the regional finals!!

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 9 months ago

It really will depend on which KU team shows up. When we are focused and on our a game defensively we are unstoppable. I have also seen us come out looking like we are not ready. This is the time to have total focus and have fun.

Kit Duncan 7 years, 9 months ago

A 2 seed gives KU fans a much better draw with easy sites to travel to. Feed off the crowd and WIN 'Hawks!!

Ben Kane 7 years, 9 months ago

yes i said all week, better to be a 2 in the midwest than a 1 out west.

Joe Satterwhite 7 years, 9 months ago

Seth Davis has us beating UNC in the Elite 8

Alohahawk 7 years, 9 months ago

N. Carolina has injuries to key players. One reason why they lost to Florida St. in the ACC tourney finals. There is no definite word if Henson is able to play, or not in the Big Dance.

However, that should not be KU's concern at the moment. It's definitely, "One game at a time." from now on.

manginodrh00lz 7 years, 9 months ago

Rebounding will be key - play their weakness

Chris Shaw 7 years, 9 months ago

They just said Mizzou was the #8? Interesting! They paired the 4th #1 with the 4th #2 supposedly! Interesting commentary!

jwolf 7 years, 9 months ago

no, I saw that too??? and that can't be right. I've never seen a bracket where the #1 over all didn't get to play the #8 for the bracket championship. Missouri is not opposite Kentucky, they are opposite Michigan State. That means either Michigan State is #1 over all or Missouri is #5 overall

Pitthawk34 7 years, 9 months ago

Time for BS to put the VCU and Davidson game in and force the guys to watch.

Joe Ross 7 years, 9 months ago

Great draw for Kansas. Beware the Killer B.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 9 months ago

As a poster stated above, I don't like the idea of St. Mary's nor do I like potentially playing G-Town a second time, but the good thing is................this is a "Blue Collar" bottom half of the bracket and I think that feeds into Kansas' strengths.

connhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm surprised that St. Mary's only got a 7 seed. They were #18 in the last poll, and they won their conference tournament also.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 9 months ago

Not really! The NCAA committe was consistent! They lost to Murray State who was a 6 seed so based on that it was about right.

I would agree that both Murray State and St. Mary's were both a little underseeded!

actorman 7 years, 9 months ago

Sounds eerily similar to Northern Iowa, which was also ranked and was a 9 seed.

sshreders18 7 years, 9 months ago

No thinking about UNC. In fact no thinking about any team except for Detroit. In this land-mine-laden bracket it's going to have to be first things first.

Lance Hobson 7 years, 9 months ago

West would have been better but this is doable. Maybe we'll actually get to play Gtown this year. Seems like they always get upset when we're supposed to play them.

Ben Kane 7 years, 9 months ago

how great would a ku mizery national championship game be

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 9 months ago

Would hate to have Mizzou break their string of consecutive appearances without a Final Four though. LOL

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 9 months ago

Oooops...not consecutive...most appearances WITHOUT a Final Four.

Ben Kane 7 years, 9 months ago

good point, but i don't really care about that anymore since they're leaving. love to win this against them as we kick them out the door.

Ethan Berger 7 years, 9 months ago

Detroit is a scary team. They can cause a lot of fits but are a very similar team to us. 1st weekend will be a fight to get out of. I'm pleased with the brackets this year. Every 1 and two seed has a big fight to get to the final four. No Cake walks this year.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 9 months ago

I agree, but if you control Coach McCallum's son, Ray, I think you control their team! They are pretty athletic, but undiscplined at times.

Ray M does try to do too much at times, which would benefit KU if he gets frustrated! If you all remember, Ray McCallum was a McDonalds' All American who chose his Dad's team over a bunch of big time Division I schools!

Ethan Berger 7 years, 9 months ago

Very true. Hopefully we get a chip on a shoulder

KansasComet 7 years, 9 months ago

Detroit is more than McCallum. They had a kid on the top ten plays on ESPN last week with a Monster Dunk! Hopefully, we can find a way to win.

Rolland Remmert 7 years, 9 months ago

They have had foul problems as a team. depending if it's a"let 'em play game" or a touch foul game how they will handle it. They appear to be a strong shooting but mediocre defense and not too much depth, Let's face it, we can't play all 15 seeds, gotta face somebody, someday.

actorman 7 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like the key is for KU not to fall in love with the 3; that's when it can get scary. As long as Tyshawn penetrates and can draw fouls, KU should be in good shape.

Andrew Bary 7 years, 9 months ago

Duke over Mich State Syracuse over Kansas Syracuse over Duke, 82-73

Joe Satterwhite 7 years, 9 months ago

Please change your avatar..for all of us bud.

topflight 7 years, 9 months ago

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000 (you get the point)

Andrew Bary 7 years, 9 months ago

wow... didnt know it was so unpopular. this better?

willite 7 years, 9 months ago

Kansas better come ready to play because that Detroit team is no joke!

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 9 months ago

They will let everyone know tomorrow. I hope I am out of work so I can make it. Then again, I feel a cold coming on! cough cough

Jwilson90 7 years, 9 months ago

I kno I'm new here bur I follow Kansas basketball like no other. With that said idk how many of u watched bracketology earlier today but they said Detroit would be a scary first round matchup for any team. They have mccallum who was a top 50 college recruit and a very solid center. If ku don't bring it we all might see an early exit. Detroit is no joke. Anyways tho I have faith in the hawks and hope to see us cutting down the nets and would love to see us give ol Roy a good butt whopping again!!!!

RCJHGKU!!!!!

Brian Haase 7 years, 9 months ago

Anyone know when they'll announce what time we play? I'm happy with our region actually, for once I feel like we don't have the toughest road.

sshreders18 7 years, 9 months ago

I think they usually do by the end of the night, prob tomorrow at latest.

Bear86 7 years, 9 months ago

Once again the NCAA does Kansas No favors in the Tourney bracket. G-Town will be tough and NC looks like the best (and deepest) team in the country heading into the Tourney. KU's draw could have been worse but what really chaps me is Mizzou's draw. Cake Walk to the regional final (which I like them beating MSU to go to the Final Four). It'll make me sick if Mizzou makes it to the last Four.

F-Texas !!!

Pitthawk34 7 years, 9 months ago

If Florida wins Florida is like Kansas State but a little better. That will be a tough matchup because Florida has good guards and their bigs will hold their own and more against Fizzu.

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 9 months ago

I like the Gators chances of taking them out in Round 3.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 9 months ago

UNC deep? I don't think so! With Strickland and McDonald out they are pretty limited in their guard play outside of Marshall.

I know they have Hairston, but he still lacks experience! UNC has the posts, but they don't have the guard play!

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 9 months ago

Gators played UK very tough in the SEC semis...let one get away.

Michael Wattai 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm a diehard Jayhawk first, but my MBA is from Detroit. I have 4 brothers-in-law with degrees from UofD also. This has always been my biggest fear. If KU loses to these guys, I'll never hear the end of it. Uhg.

142466 7 years, 9 months ago

I got an MBA from Detroit, too. Mine by correspondence. Dickie V. tutored me, relentlessly. He never quits. Having said that, I'm neccessarily torn between UofD, Duke, & N.C. I'll follow Fla. St., too.

Only kidding.

KU got a great seed, on paper anyway.

gchawk 7 years, 9 months ago

I'll go out on a limb here and say that I'm predicting a Big XII Final Four !! I'm not really, but it could conceivably happen.

colreader 7 years, 9 months ago

Really strange that Mizzou plays in Omaha, like we do, but they're in the West.

I think Mizzou can beat Mich State.

Mizzou and Kentucky would be a track meet. MU makes it to the final game against.....KU of course!

actorman 7 years, 9 months ago

That's how they've been doing it for several years now. It's called the pod system.

It's the same reason that North Carolina and Duke are both playing in Greensboro even though they're in different regions.

JayHok 7 years, 9 months ago

Get mad about what happened in KC, Jayhawks! Get mad, get mad, get real mad each and every game.

Looking at that St. Louis dispatch article's comments it's remarkable Mizzou fans have a hard time understanding their out-of-conference schedule was 294. They were one Don Daily call from being a 3 seed.

Jace FitzGibbon 7 years, 9 months ago

dude the posters on there are so irrational most of the time. i wish i had links to after the ku mu game in lawrence lol.

youd have thought watergate just broke or something with all of the conspiracy talk

Tom Wilson 7 years, 9 months ago

Will be an emotional ride. We have already beaten Georgetown; will overconfidence rule the day....again? The University of Michigan is my "other" alma mater; my undergrad at KU dominates those emotions though. Then there is Roy "I-will-not-leave-KU" Williams and the Tarheels. Hopefully, the Jayhawks will not let up. This is one of the easiest, if not the easiest, brackets...but don't tell the players!!!!!

sshreders18 7 years, 9 months ago

this is a really smooth road to a potential FF on paper...I'm just not sure if that's a good thing. If we play to our potential we will have no issue getting to the Elite Eight.

MrPilot 7 years, 9 months ago

Because the "experts" are always right. :-P

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 9 months ago

The phrase "should" isn't to be used in March.

And those same experts gave Mizzou the #8 overall position.

Martin Shupert 7 years, 9 months ago

and exactly what would be wrong with saying that? Compare Butler's record in the tourney with their record in their conference... Duke was so lucky to beat them. The next year, I have no idea what happened to them. Most of those kids were from Indiana and yet, couldn't throw a rock in the ocean from the beach. That was so weird. If the years had been reversed, it would have made sense.

joeloveshawks 7 years, 9 months ago

Obviously KU has dropped a number of games early in the tournament and I am worried about any team. But why are so many of you high on Detroit? They have 13 losses. Did someone on ESPN say they were good?

Orangedog87 7 years, 9 months ago

Of course DickieV lit it up with how dangerous the KU Detriot matchup was going to be for KU due the coaches son on the team who is a good player ...see note below

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 9 months ago

DickieV used to be the coach at Detroit. Hard to be impartial.

Tyson Ailshie 7 years, 9 months ago

They're in the Horizon conference. They lost 7 of 13 games in that conference. Some of their non conference losses: Bowling Green, George Washington, Cleveland, Youngstown and Akron by 18 points. I was actually surprised that I DIDN'T see the South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs on that list. I am not worried about Detroit unlike some of the others. Just need to focus on playing Kansas basketball.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 9 months ago

Not crazy about the Detroit matchup, star PG playing for his dad, anyone heard this story out of the Horizon before? Not going to be easy at all, good thing KU has time to prepare for these guys. Ray McCallum Jr, McDonalds All-American, preseason Horizon POY. They've won 13 of their last 15 and 10 of last 11 including 5 straight. Play 8-9 guys, have some size, 6'10" 260lb C with 61% shooting, 6'10" 220lb F that averages 2.2blcks

For the good news, Detroir F Nick Minerath tore ACL early in season leaving them with no sound outside threat, so it'd take some bad luck for Detroit to beat KU from the outside

Mike Kendall 7 years, 9 months ago

There are no cakewalks but I like our Regional. Mizzou got screwed but I ain't crying, especially since Kimmy English was all cocky talking to the camera after the Baylor game. The toughest Regionals----West and the East. One thing I noticed right away----we have a chance to play Carolina to go to the Final 4--that would be sweet. If we are so fortunate to get the National Final, that would be against Kentucky, most likely. John C and HCBS had a similar meeting in 2008! Very interesting.

Other notables------Wichita State and VCU to open in the South. Very interesting. The Shockers have an opportunity to return a payback to VCU, a Bracket Busters game that cost the Shockers last year. Quite frankly, the earlier VCU loses, the better for KU.

-------Mizzou--anybody think that the Gators will probably knock off the Tiggers in the Second Round--I do!!!!!!!!!!!

-------Syracuse and K-State in the Second Round, maybe---I kind of like that match up.

-------Surfer Fan got his wish!!!!!!!     A KU/San Diego State match up is possible.    I know you want this to happen.

mgphill 7 years, 9 months ago

VCU would have beaten any team the way they shot the three against us last year. I don't think it was an issue of overconfidence...just bad luck running into a team like that.

Jesse reported that Detroit doesn't attempt many threes...that is a good thing.

actorman 7 years, 9 months ago

I disagree, mgphill. It wasn't just about their 3-point shooting. How can you forget what one of the Morii said to a VCU player just before the game: "Y'all have had a nice run, but now it's time to go home." If that isn't overconfidence, then what is???

Steve Brown 7 years, 9 months ago

Trust Obama won't make us his selection to win it all this year

That was kiss of death.

Detroit may test us, but at least it's not Creighton in Omaha. We need the Berkshire Hathaway suite.

John Smith 7 years, 9 months ago

Well, I guess it's over for the Jayhawks. Dickie V just declared on ESPN that Georgetown would beat KU. Darn. I guess I imagined that game earlier this year where l saw KU beat Georgetown 67-63.

jwolf 7 years, 9 months ago

If you believe what they said you are just swallowing the political tele talk. Kansas had to be a #6 overall because the one seed in that bracket is UNC. In other words if you arrange the top eight seeds overall.... then each of the four brackets would look like the following: number 1 (Kentucky) would get number 8 opposite side of bracket, number 2 (Syracuse) would get number 7, Number 3 (UNC) would get number 6 Jayhawks, and number 4 (Michigan State) would get number 5 Tigers. Actions speak louder than words. But the result could be worse, we still miss Syracuse and Kentucky to get to the final four. Still kinda irks me that Missouri gets Michigan State, but i guess I feel pretty good about the draw anyway.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 9 months ago

And obviously you are swallowing something else. There are a lot of other factors that are considered when assigning locations in addition to the actual seed. If you don't know this, you should go post in the MU board; they are as ignorant about BBall as you are...you would feel right at home.

actorman 7 years, 9 months ago

Wow, you are really obsessed with this, jwolf. You may be setting a record for the most posts of the same thing. Are you actually reading any of the responses??? It's not a straight S curve; why is that so complicated for you?

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 9 months ago

Conference tourneys are for beauty points. Unfortunately, for you guys, the NCAA selection committee didn't put too much value in it. LOL

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 9 months ago

...have fun out in Phoenix! Great town!

sshreders18 7 years, 9 months ago

Why don't MU fans start replacing to/too (the word) with 2 (the numeral)? It might be easier for them to remember...

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 9 months ago

In case you didnt notice from the NCAA tourney drawing today... nobody cares about conference tournaments.

Mizzou was #8 of the first 8 in, and thats why you'll have to buy a plane ticket while we're three hours away in St. Louis.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 9 months ago

1] Vanderbilt game was a hint of UK's inexperience..everybody's picking UK. I am not!!

2] Missouri did not get screwed..when your out of conf. record is in the RPI 200's, you get what you deserve. [Anyone notice how pissed Misery looked??...it was classic!!}

3] KU once again was the class of all the schools...calm, quiet, almost as if they were saying "what else did you all expect!!??"

4] God I hope we play Roy...he'll have a nervous breakdown and it will translate down to his players.

5] God bless Seth Davis...only one to pick Kansas for the Final Four.

6] Hilarious that Jayhawk Nation travels better in Missouri than Tiger or Billiken fans.

7] They should have had Erin Andrews in a string bikini point out the names ala Vanna White....no one would have complained about their seeding because no one would have noticed!!! :)

MrPilot 7 years, 9 months ago

Digger Phelps has us in the National Championship game vs. Michigan State, for what it's worth.

Jace FitzGibbon 7 years, 9 months ago

digger picked us to lose in the national title game

texashawk10 7 years, 9 months ago

Digger Phelps has KU losing to Michigan St. in the national title game.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 9 months ago

There will be upsets, especially in the West. A lot of teams have to travel to get their destination. So, in essence, lots of upsets. They don't call it "The Wild, Wild West," for nothing.

Rolland Remmert 7 years, 9 months ago

Troll on board......Sorry Charlie......you may be o.k.for Star Kist but you ain't makin' it here.....Just another MU jerk that doesn't know anything about the game.

jaybate 7 years, 9 months ago

"First The Canal, Next Iwo, Then Sugar Loaf"

Well, of course NCAA/CBS are trying to marginalize and flush KU and MU ASAP. They insulted both with 2 seeds and flushed MU west. They gave KU a first rounder with two MickeyDs. If this isn't a stub in the eye to the Big 12, what would be?

Glass Half Empty:

Its a tough row to hoe, because KU gets no legitimate breathers, so Self doesn't really get to play the let 'em labor one day, and do a full amp the second day routine that he prefers.

If KU gets past Detroit, which will be a physical game, it gets Purdue on a day's rest, which will be a physical game. KU could easily take either team, when rested, but KU has pretty much had to sandbag the second game of any Saturday Monday games during regular season, and I don't know if they can afford to sandbag against Purdue. It doesn't really matter though, because they have no choice. They can't play Purdue straight up for 40 minutes on a day's rest. Not feasible. They will have to sandbag Purdue and turn it into a 15 minute game, or they will get gassed and beaten by a not great Purdue the last ten minutes of the game.

Rest and lick wounds for a week.

KU then gets Georgetown, a team it narrowly beat early. It will be a physical game and the Hoyas run the Princeton and like to make opponents guard them 25 seconds. Self has figured out how to beat the Princeton system, but the way he does it takes a heavy toll. KU chases every where. KU fights through all the screens. KU's bigs have to run out and double team the ball screens on the wings. If KU plays this way, it always wins against Princeton teams. So: KU can almost certainly take Georgetown with its A game. But the big question for Self is can KU play its A game and beat Georgetown, and have any gas left in its tank beat Baja KU and Roy only 48 hours in the future? This is a huge problem for Self and KU. Self likes to play it anyway they want, and Baja KU likes to run. How can KU run 40 minutes after guarding the Princeton 25-30 seconds every trip two days before? It seems to me that Self has to make a choice. He has to sand bag against one, or both of these teams. He has to muddy it up for 25 minutes against one, or both these teams. But how? The Georgetown game is going to be muddy no matter what, because playing Princeton teams is a muddy process. The trouble is you can't just muddy it up against a Princeton team for 25 minutes and them come out balls to the walls. You have to play them muddy a full forty minutes. Which means, as nearly as I can tell, Self has to play Georgetown straight up, and KU has to leave it all on the floor to make sure they get a shot at Baja KU and Roy, then they have to muddy it up for 25 minutes on Roy, and then make a break for it with 15 to go. I think it can work, especially if Roy's starter is really out for the tournament.

jaybate 7 years, 9 months ago

UNC's big advantage is that they don't have to play any bang ball against anyone and that is why they have to be the favorite to get to the Final Four. KU has to play 3 bang ball games just to get to UNC. Its a real shame for KU, because if we met UNC rested, I have almost know doubt that KU could beat them pretty handily. But coming of Georgetown with only a day's rest, things favor UNC, unless Self can pull a strategic rabbit out of the hat with sand bagging.

Glass Half Full:

We match up well with all of these teams, especially Baja KU. Our starting five are better than any of the other starting fives, especially with one of UNC's starters recently injured.

Further, none of these teams play it like MSU and Wisconsin, who come at you with four pulling guards for bigs and just run blocking assignments the whole game. Yes our likely first three opponents--Detroit, Purdue and Georgetown--will play bang ball, but Kevin and Justin are probably good enough to hang in against these calibers of bang ballers.

KU just would not have the depth to bang with a team like MSU, or Wisconsin, especially on one day's rest...not early in the tournament.

So: beating Detroit and Purdue on a day's rest will be tough, but it at least is technically feasible.

Beating Georgetown and UNC on a day's rest will be even tougher, but again, it is at least technically feasible.

And of all the 1 seeds we could have run into before the Final Four, I prefer our chances against Baja KU best without hesitation. Our guys are every bit as fast and athletic as UNC's are, and they are also a heckuva lot stronger and tougher.

Detroit Purdue Georgetown UNC

Its is a gauntlet not because they are all so good, but because there are no breathers, and because we have to plant three straight games of bang ball, and meet UNC on a days rest after chasing and banging with Georgetown.

Difficult comes easy.

Impossible takes a little longer.

I had hoped when these guys got off The Canal, they would not have to go to an Iwo Jima kind of tournament. I had hoped they would get a one seed and maybe only have to play one game of bang ball to get to the Final Four.

But first they have to go up Suribachi against Detroit and Purdue, then wheel around and fight through cave country with Georgetown and Baja KU.

jaybate 7 years, 9 months ago

And if they survive this Basketball Iwo, then they must sail for what increasingly looms IMHO as an Okinawa Final Four. There is a Sugar Loaf of two bang ballers--Syracuse and MSU--converging on this year's Final Four. And then there is UK, which is almost certain to reach the final four.

To be the fourth team in a Final Four of UK, Syracuse, and MSU, is to be out gunned, out numbered and out supplied.

Its going to get very, very ugly at times.

But these KU team mates are ferocious defenders for long stretches, they are now experienced at conserving energy when they must, and when they finally decide to strike for the win, they are like a team of spitting cobras that can take their prey down and paralyze it long enough to get the win. And then they slighter away to reform for the next attack.

Nothing is written.

All campaigns seem in doubt.

Difficult comes easy.

Impossible takes a little longer.

HawksWin 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm hoping we are last year's VCU - extremely conditioned playing 35+ mins a game with not so deep bench - banging, hustling and defending. Except we will do better than VCU did against Duke in the NC game, whichever team we get - the full bottle view.

actorman 7 years, 9 months ago

VCU didn't play Duke in the title game, Butler did.

actorman 7 years, 9 months ago

Actually, VCU wasn't even there when Butler played Duke for the title, since that was two years ago. Last year it was Butler and UConn.

actorman 7 years, 9 months ago

Your analysis makes a lot of sense, jaybate, except for the fact that you completely ignore St. Mary's. Why are you so sure that Purdue will beat them? After all, not only is St. Mary's the higher seed, but they probably should be an even higher seed, since they're ranked 18th and have played a fairly tough schedule -- at least by mid-major standards.

jaybate 7 years, 9 months ago

The Gaels are a sound team. They have beaten good teams.

Randy Bennett is a very smart coach. He's a UCSD grad, which guaranties that. And he learned a lot of the Wooden Way from Brad Holland, while assisting at USD and rebuilding that moribund program from nothing to mediocrity, before Holland got s-canned and his replacement reaped the rewards for year or two, before being exposed as a free rider later.

Bennet caught on with Bo Peet Lamar at Pepperdine and then UWash, where he brought in the bodies for Bo Peet and coached some good defense. Bennett has tended defenses and the Gaels are tough defenders.

But when the whistles stop blowing in the Madness, it always favors the biggest, brawniest, deepest bang ballers, when teams are similarly talented. Purdue plays Big Ten ball to the core. I expect the Gaels to give them a good game, but Matt Painter is no slouch himself as a coach. The officiating will favor Purdue's style of play, though, obviously, if Purdue shoots poorly, St. Mary's could beat Purdue. In a regular season game, I would pick St. Marys.

actorman 7 years, 9 months ago

Fair enough. Well-reasoned. But I would actually feel better playing Purdue than St. Mary's, because I think KU would take them more seriously.

kellerman411 7 years, 9 months ago

Our playoff hopes are pinned to the defensive play of Travis Releford. He will need to be able to cover up the other team's best guard. Offense comes pretty natural to this group but we have struggled with hot shooters on the other end. I hope Travis's ankle is good to go because without him, we are much weaker defensively.

Orangedog87 7 years, 9 months ago

Agree with half of this...not so sure offense comes natural to this group when only 2 players consistently play offense.....Rele, EJ, JW, CT play offense very inconsistently...all have had good games here and there ....

prusso25 7 years, 9 months ago

Good point. I would also say that Elijah has shown flashes of defensive brilliance. If we have Elijah and Releford on their best 1,2, or 3, and Withey blocking shots, it would make it easier for T-rob and Taylor to carry the offense.

NanaJayhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

I don't think we should be thinking about St. Mary's until we have beaten Detroit. They have a good team also, so let's just get through these one at a time.

Janet Olin 7 years, 9 months ago

One game at a time; no slacking/flat play, regardless of the opponent. All the teams earned their way in. Match-ups are important, but not more important than resolve and perseverance. Bring it as a team; listen to the coaches and follow the scouting reports; give it everything you have and leave all the energy on the floor.Then, you will be fine. And the fans will be proud and satisfied.

rob4lb 7 years, 9 months ago

This team is one of the tougher teams to assess. They could fizzle out or they could make it to the Final Four. That is why I don't get too worked up about the brackets. It is hard to believe that KU won't beat Detroit despite the prognosticators. They went 11-7 in the Horizon League. The next round gets a little tougher. If we make it through the first weekend, you have to assume that there will be some upsets and we could play someone we did not expect.

hawkjay21 7 years, 9 months ago

is it 100 percent that ku will play around 9 oclock? Looking to buy tickets and dont know which session that they are playing in

Scott Smetana 7 years, 9 months ago

Headed to Vegas on Friday. A little bummed I'm not going to St. Louis if the Hawks get there.

Just so you all know... Regional tickets are easy, as is a premium seat. If we're in the first games, just sit for the first half (at least) in the late team's seats and vice versa if we're the later games. Many tickets still avail at the box office.

Come on Jayhawk nation... make the trip to St. Louis and get loud! UNC travels well!!

Brian Skelly 7 years, 9 months ago

As a Jayhawk and St. Louis resident I can assure you that I will be there if KU makes it through the first weekend. I'd encourage anyone and everyone from the KC area (and Jayhawk Nation in general) to head to St. Louis and flood the dome with Crimson and Blue. There is NO reason we shouldnt be the prominent fan base there if we make it that far. NONE ! ! !

That said, one thing that is likely getting missed with our first (and hopefully 2nd) round games is that despite being in separate brackets we will be sharing the building with Mizzou. Im sure they'll be no #@$@ talking at all. :) My guess is there wont be ANY first round building that will have the underdogs have such fervor and furor rooting against Mizzou and Kansas. It'll be interesting, and id love to hear from anyone who makes it Omaha no how that goes. Talk about a weirdo dynamic.

Again... if we get through the first weekend folks... COME TO THE DOME IN ST. LOUIS. there will be plenty of tickets available, either still there -- lots right now still or brokers (now that scalping is legal in Missouri). I cant envision there arent oodles of Mizzou folks who have already purchased them looking to unload them as well. :)

Im not counting my chickens before they hatch. KU has gagged it up to many times for me to feel comfortable. But get the Hawks to the Lou and I think we could be in for some good times ! ! !

Lance Hobson 7 years, 9 months ago

Legs will be fresh after a long layoff. Could help a lot for a long run...

Alohahawk 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm actually happy with KU's bracket placement. They're playing close to home, in the Midwest area, and the teams they might play are, IMHO, beatable. Even N. Carolina, which has a couple of injured players. KU just needs to focus on the next team they play, and not look ahead. They can't let all the mumbo-jumbo talk of previous mid-major losses make them nervous. The Jayhawks have played 17 games against teams in the Big Dance, winning 11 and losing 6. It's not like they haven't played quality teams this season. Against teams with top 3 seeds or better the Jayhawks have won 5 and lost 4. And KU should have won 2 of those 4: Duke and Mizzery. IMHO, KU has just as much a chance to make the Final Four as any team, including all the one seeds.

On the other hand, Syracuse has the toughest draw, with the way some of the East bracket teams played in their conference tournaments. The East has Cincy, Florida State, Ohio State, Vandy and Wisconsin. Any one of those has the personnel to upset any team on a given night. And Syracuse has shown they are vulnerable a number of times this year. If I were a betting man, which I'm not, I'd pick any of the first four to beat Syracuse.

The South has Kentucky, Baylor, Duke and Wichita State. Plus a UConn team which wants badly to defend their Nat. Championship of last year. Especially since UConn is probably banned from next year's tournament. I think Baylor and Wichita State could both upset UK, because UK may be too young and over-confident. Afterall, a much lower ranked Vandy team just beat them. That, and UK played in the much less competitive SEC.

The West has Michigan State, Louisville, Marquette, Florida and Mizzery. I'm picking Louisville or Marquette. Michigan State hasn't impressed me, lately. Florida can win, but only if they're hitting their 3's. The Gator's 3's won't hold up over 6 games. Mizzery, too cocky, and history repeats itself - No Final Four appearances for the striped pussycats.

Vittorio1224 7 years, 9 months ago

I agree with Kellerman re: Rele -- stick to playing lockdown defense and get the garbage points with your "old man's game" in the words of Bill Self. Elijah needs to show up with some big 3s. I trust Withey, T-Rob and Ty to play their typical solid play.

One game at a time....sweet Kansas. Rock Chalk!

Vittorio1224 7 years, 9 months ago

Alohahawk- Good insights. Always enjoy your posts. Mahalo!

Alohahawk 7 years, 9 months ago

And mahalo to you, vittorio1224. The appreciation is mutual.

What with all the post-conference awards and the 8 str8 championships, the entire Jayhawk Nation has to be very proud of this season's team.

Now, anything can happen leading up to the Final Four. If the Jayhawks should achieve that, it will be icing on the cake. And who knows, maybe they'll be blowing out the candles in celebration. With a "Rock Chalk" chant by the crowd to send the team floating home on cloud nine.

R C J H K U !!!

katman52 7 years, 9 months ago

Is that ~8.57pm game time correct? just curious because CBSSports.com doesn't show any game times yet...wonder where they got it from....

nwhawkfan 7 years, 9 months ago

We've already gone way beyond the preseason expectations...I see us overachieving the way the '88 team did, only this time with more than one guy carrying us. Not to say that we'll win it all, but in this region a Final Four berth looks doable, especially with games within driving distance of most fans.

Biggest near-term obstacle? St. Mary's looks tough. Dellavedova is just the type of mid-major guard that gives us fits in tournament play, he gets hot from 3 late. Travis better be on his game.

Spencer Goff 7 years, 9 months ago

I hate our first round opponent, it has all the "Magic of March" makings that television loves:

Son chooses to play for his father over a team he later plays in the first round of a #2 and #15 matchup. Son "respects" said school that recruited him, but wanted to play for his father.

The kid also happens to be very good, and a guard in college basketball which allows him to take over games. Son has a classic day as the 15th seed beats the 2 seed for the fifth time in tournament history.

Are you telling me that won't get Gumbel and the CBS cronies all goobered up just dreaming about it?

Please let this not happen. Releford you are my guy, the Mr. Sidekick-Do-It-All, our Scottie Pippen, get hot baby, get hot!

Laura Hrabak 7 years, 9 months ago

Releford shuts down their one baller and we will be ok in a rout...

Matt Strausz 7 years, 9 months ago

<p>KenPom.com has Detroit as 326th at shooting the three and 294th at defending it. That made me feel better about this mid-major team.

jaybate 7 years, 9 months ago

We're going to be Detroit almost for certain.

The question is: how much will Detroit rough us up and how much will Detroit take out of us for the winner of the Purdue/St. Mary's game?

Either Purdue, or St. Mary's will be tough, physical games.

If KU cannot get out to an early lead that allows Self to play KY and Justin quite a bit, i.e., if Detroit muddies it up successfully, and puts our guys on the floor early a few times, then Self has to play the starters a lot and KU is super ripe for an upset by the winner of the Purdue/St. Mary's game.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 9 months ago

All 3 Kansas division I schools (KU.KSU, WSU) made it to the dance. Has any state other than Kansas, with 3 or more Division I teams sent all of its teams to the dance before?

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 9 months ago

Kentucky has 3 D1 schools in. Michigan has three. Florida has three. Texas has three. As does North Carolina. California has three too. Nashville has two teams. Several states have two teams. However the last time all three Kansas schools were in was 2008; that turned how well for the Jayhawks.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 9 months ago

North Carolina has five teams. I forgot Duke and Davidson.

Spencer Goff 7 years, 9 months ago

his question was not which states have sent three, it was which states have sent all (with at least three eligible)

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 9 months ago

Three for three? Sorry my bad. North Car would have to go 18 out of 18 to put all D1 schools in. Would never happen.

Spencer Goff 7 years, 9 months ago

Kansas really does sit in a uique situation when it comes to college basketball. Two major schools and one smaller school that has a solid history is a bit of a rarity.

If I had to guess, the answer to your question is probably not often, but your sample size is going to be pretty small.

Most states simply have too many schools (particularly mid majors) to fit the bill. Also, if you have two schools from a one-bid conference you are hosed from the get-go.

Here are the states that have three D-I basketball programs: Arizona, Idaho, Kansas, and Nebraska.

States (or districts) with four schools include D.C., Iowa, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin. Not liking much for my odds there.

If I had to go off my gut feeling of potential states after looking at the schools, I would say you might research Arizona (likeliest), Kansas (obviously), and Iowa and Oklahoma both having outside shots.

It would shock me beyond all belief to hear that a state with five or more eligible schools got all of them into the Big Dance in the same year.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 9 months ago

UNC, UNC-Ashville, Duke, Davidson and NC State = five

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 9 months ago

Kentucky might have 3 schools in the Tournament, but there are 7 Division I schools in the state. All the other states mentioned have more Division I schools that the ones going to the Tournament. My question was: has any state with 3 or more Division I teams sent "ALL" of its teams to the tournament? Obviously, I do not want to include states with just 1 or 2 Division I teams such as Hawaii or Maine.

Spencer Goff 7 years, 9 months ago

I read you loud and clear man, and here is a list of all D-I schools by state.

Once you start looking over the lists, you will come to the same thinking I did, that is, most schools have too many smaller schools to ever accomplish it, we are in a nice situation.

Night folks, GO HAWKS!!!

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 9 months ago

I believe Kansas is the only state to send all its teams to the Tournament in the same year...and it has happened more than once. We are the true basketball State.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 9 months ago

Even if you extend the criteria to all states with more than one Division I teams, I believe Kansas is still the one and only... Any other state with all of its Division I teams having at least 1 Final Four appearance?

Spencer Goff 7 years, 9 months ago

After doing a little research, I can tell you for a fact that it has never happened in Arizona. Northern Arizona went to the tournament in 1998 (under Ben Howland, crazy hunh?) and in 2000. Arizona State did not make the tournament either of those seasons.

Should I even look up Nebraska or Idaho?

Spencer Goff 7 years, 9 months ago

Just looked up Oklahoma; this one was close. In 1984 Oklahoma, Tulsa, and Oral Roberts all made the tournament. Unfortunately, Oklahoma State had a 13-15 season on their way to a 7th place finish in the Big 8.

I find this ironic, mainly because Oklahoma State has probably the richest tradition of all four schools. Yet 1984 was a very down year for the Cowboys.

DRsmith 7 years, 9 months ago

4 from Kentucky right? UK, Louisville, Western KY and Murray State.

Joe Ross 7 years, 9 months ago

Dont know about that Jayhawk Fan. No Big 12 Oklahoma schools got into post-season play period...NCAA or NIT. Oral Roberts got into the field of 32 while both OU and OSU were left out. Texas A/M and Texas Tech will also not see action in either tournament. I expected more out of Lon Kruger and Billy Gillispie. Maybe next year...

fanKUverymuch 7 years, 9 months ago

Always a tough Road to the Final Four. These guys can do it… if they don't lose focus.

Laura Hrabak 7 years, 9 months ago

Detroit is probably best #15 ever and could be a harder game than the round of 32 for KU that said, " I look for TT//TROB//WITHEY//EJ to come out with a chip on their shoulder and play much better than they did against Baylor...

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 9 months ago

What have we learned in the last couple of days? Conference touraments are no more important than those November/December invitational touraments. Vanderbilt, Missouri, and Colorado? Regular season title winners should get the automatic bids, not tournament winners.

colbyhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

Match ups match ups Detroit will pose some problems because of their big front line and that mcdonalds all american. Look at their schedule; played a decent non con schedule and beat butler twice and cleave land state and valpo. Got to bring every round. If we play like we are capable, a good chance at elite eight. If not might be another 15 beats a 2 statistic

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 9 months ago

Are we talking about Butler, Cleveland State and Valpo? Really? Texas Tech probably would have beaten all three of them. None of those teams are going to the dance and beating them is not a resume enhancer. There is a reason why Detroit is seeded 15...and it is not because it is a great team. I know upsets happen, but this is not going to be one.