Sunday, March 11, 2012

All for 1 … or 2: Jayhawks say seed doesn’t matter

The Jayhawks try to pull it together against Baylor during the second half on Friday, March 9, 2012.

Kansas University’s basketball players rested Saturday, catching their collective breath in advance of today’s practice and 5 p.m. NCAA Tournament Selection Show on CBS.

“No idea on 1 or 2,” KU coach Bill Self said in a text message Saturday night, responding to the question of the day — whether his Jayhawks (27-6) would be awarded a No. 1 seed for the third straight year and fifth in the last sixth years or a No. 2 seed in the 2012 Big Dance.

ESPN bracketologist Joe Lunardi on Saturday night gave KU the last of the four No. 1 seeds, behind Kentucky, Syracuse and North Carolina. His projections were made following Missouri’s Big 12 tourney title victory over Baylor.

Lunardi had Michigan State, Ohio State, Missouri and Duke as “next in line” following his top four. However, ESPN analyst Digger Phelps indicated he’d give Michigan State the nod for the final No. 1. The Spartans will meet Ohio State in the Big Ten tourney’s title game today. Others listing KU as a 2 seed: Seth Davis of CBS Sports and Sports Illustrated and Gary Parrish of CBS Sports.

Self was asked following Saturday’s 81-72 Big 12 semifinal loss to Baylor if there’s a big difference between being a 1 and 2.

“I don’t know. We’ve never been a 2,” Self said. “I still believe regardless, everybody from a psychological standpoint wants in their mind to be on the highest seed line they possibly can be. At Tulsa we were a 7 (in 2000). I was like, ‘How can we be a 7? We’re better than that.’ It worked out pretty well for us (in reaching Elite Eight). Sometimes when we’ve been a 1, match-ups don’t work that well, either. I think it’s more about match-ups than seed line.”

The Jayhawks have been a No. 1 seed four times, a No. 3 two times and a No. 4 two times during his first eight years at KU. As a No. 1 seed, KU lost in the Elite Eight last year, lost in the second round in 2010, won it all in 2008 and lost in the Elite Eight in 2007.

“We don’t know what the committee is going to do. We can’t dictate that,” said KU senior point guard Tyshawn Taylor. “I don’t think we’re going to be on pins and needles. Even as a No. 1 seed like we hope for, if we don’t get that, it’s not the end of the world because we’ve still got something to play for.

“Honestly, I’ve been a No. 1 seed two years in a row, and I don’t have a national championship. It doesn’t mean that much.”

Taylor said he wouldn’t be stunned if the Jayhawks were awarded a No. 1 seed despite the fact Missouri, which is 30-4, won the Big 12 tourney title.

“I don’t know how they pick it,” Taylor said. “I think the overall conference season is what determines who is best in the conference. We are the Big 12 champion, not the Big 12 tournament champion, but we are the Big 12 champion. I think they (committee members) will see that. It’s really not that big a deal to me. It looks good being a 1, it’s nice, but in the NCAA Tournament, it doesn’t matter.”

Senior Conner Teahan said he believes KU deserves a 1 seed, “just because we played some great teams and won some big games and showed we’re a tough team. At the same time, 1 or 2 seed ... I heard Tyshawn say earlier we’ve been a 1 seed the last two years, and it didn’t get us too far. We’ve just got to face whoever they put in front of us, respect them and be aggressive.”

Teahan said the team would not be upset with a 2 seed.

“If you told us at the beginning of the year that at the end we’d be a 2 seed, I think everybody would have sold out for that,” Teahan said. “A 1 seed would obviously be nice, but you know what? Two seed? I don’t think it makes too much a difference for us, but I could be wrong.”

As far as location of games, it’s a virtual certainty KU will play a first-round game Friday in Omaha, Neb. A victory would mean a Sunday game also in Omaha.

As far as the site of possible Sweet 16 or Elite Eight contests? Most figure KU will be sent to either Phoenix or St. Louis. The other two sites are Boston and Atlanta. Phoenix is a Thursday/Saturday regional, St. Louis a Friday/Sunday.

Another title for Heights: KU signee Perry Ellis scored 29 points and grabbed seven rebounds in Wichita Heights’ 67-60 Class 6A state title victory over Blue Valley Northwest on Saturday in Wichita. Sophomore guard Clayton Custer had 32 points for NW. Ellis won four state championships during his high school career.

Dooley on Rhode Island list?: KU assistant coach Joe Dooley has been listed as a possible candidate for the head coaching position at Rhode Island, according to CBSsports.com. Other possible candidates: Dan Hurley (Wagner), Steve Pikiell (Stony Brook), Jim Ferry (Long Island), Andy Toole (Robert Morris), Jim Christian (TCU), Al Skinner (formerly of Boston College. Christian played at URI.

All-tourney team: The Big 12 tournament all-tourney team: Kim English (Most Outstanding Player), Phil Pressey (Missouri), Perry Jones III (Baylor), Brady Heslip (Baylor) and J’Covan Brown (Texas).

Comments

gardenjay 7 years, 3 months ago

The players seem pretty mature about the whole thing. My view is that KU will get the #1 seed merely because of the logistics involved in changing things so close to selection Sunday. But I'm watching the tournament for the hope they go all the way, which doesn't care if you are an 11 seed or a 1 seed. Seeds, seeds, that reminds me, it's time to order seeds.

One of my favorite teams, 1988, was sure not a number 1 seed (thank you Danny Manning).

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 3 months ago

The latest projection (as of 12:01a) showing Kansas as #2 in the Phoenix Bracket behind Mich State. That would make MSU as the lowest rated #1 and Kansas as the highest rated #2. Who cares where we start as long as we end up in NOLA? If Ohio St wins, who know, flip flop?

Kye Clark 7 years, 3 months ago

ESPN still had us on the #1 line:

or

Agree that I don't really care, just wasn't sure if you were going by the espn bracketology stuff or not.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 3 months ago

I was looking on Fox Sports. I saw ESPN after I posted.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 3 months ago

ESPN is Joe Lunardi. Based on his past track record hard to argue with him.

gardenjay 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm thinking #1 seed via Lunardi @ ESPN like icthawk, but at this point I'd rather they were #2.

Since they need to play with confidence to go far, I think building up expectations via seeding just creates the wrong type of pressure (?word choice) for this particular team. I sure hope Self gets them ready to go a distance this year...Bucknell, Bucknell.

JD Roth 7 years, 3 months ago

Fox projections have no pull, it's all about Lunardi. You had me worried for a second.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 3 months ago

ESPN is teasing that Joe has a change in his #1 seeds.

baldwinjhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

A # 2 seed for a team that isn't one of our better teams is an amzing accomplishment.! Well done . RCJH

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 3 months ago

Out of curiosity, since this is their "best" team in 20 years...

What does this year's Mizzou team have to show for itself that they didn't already earn in 09"?

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 3 months ago

Answer: The only difference is one win (28-6 vs 27-4), and a one, possibly two, position improvement in NCAA seeding. (Had a 3 seed in 09"). Both teams have a conference tourney trophy.

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 3 months ago

Apologies. This year's team is at 30-4.... if that somehow convinces you.

Mike Barnhart 7 years, 3 months ago

Tourney winner gets a trophy? Go figure!

Alex Berger 7 years, 3 months ago

Yeah and all the Mizzou fans are declaring themselves "Big XII Champ."

John Randall 7 years, 3 months ago

Strange they'd claim that, seeing as how the conference promotes it as The Big XII Championship Tournament, and ya no, they did win it.

RJ King 7 years, 3 months ago

Joe Dooley possibly to Rhode Island? The mention of that school conjures up bad memories of another early exit when we faced Cutino Mobley and Tyson Wheeler. Say it ain't so, Joe! (But best wishes nonetheless.)

Speaking of shiny apples on the KU coaching tree . . . kudos to Tad Boyle at Colorado. Living in Pac 12 country, I had an inner grin when I heard he stole one from the other Wildcats.

Michigan St. has flown under the radar and may be deserving of a 1 seed. Besides, 12 out of 13 MSU grads/fans I know are gems. Small sampling, but the ones I know are down to earth, know their basketball, and are proud, but humble. Tom Izzo is their Bill Self. I'm also married to a Syracuse grad, and don't mind being a 2 seed. (Target on your back with a 1!)

Like HCBS said, it's all about matchups. May MU meet theirs soon. So classy of their fans to pull out the SEC chant for Chuck. He had to have been counting to 10 . . .

sevenyearhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

I'll never forget the headline: "Rhode Kill"

That was in OKC, not too long after they imploded the rest of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building ...

There was a signed t-shirt in the chainlink fence from the Rams, I remember having quite mixed emotions about seeing it.

KULA 7 years, 3 months ago

Colorado wins Pac 10 automatic (and possibly only) bid to the tournament. In their first year in the league! Way to go Tad! I can finally start watching Pac 10 games now.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 3 months ago

I watched some of the Colorado game. I was catching myself cheering more for Tad than Colorado. The Buffaloes had a heck of a dunk late in the game that probably made ESPN's Top 10 plays. I think Cal (Jorge Guttierez-sp?) will make it. Washington is out. Very weak conference. The CU-Zona game was fun to watch, for sure!

wrwlumpy 7 years, 3 months ago

Good luck in the SEC. Sell out the Kentucky game, then continue the the tradition of having your arena 1/3rd full on a Wednesday night against Auburn and Mississippi.

Once again, I respect the players and think Kansas City should be proud of the 3 hometowners in the Mizzou rotation.

After the SEC chant last night it appears that you also are ready to move on. Like Self said, "We are in their past."

bye.

Mike Barnhart 7 years, 3 months ago

Well said.

Mizzou's very good this year...we'll always be elite!

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 3 months ago

Their scissor-lift is too rusty to hang their banner in the rafters.

JacquesMerde 7 years, 3 months ago

Dear Brothers. You know what they say about us Merde, read MU (mizzoo). We are elite. We float to the top of a barrel of pisse. Or is that a barrel of the SEC?

okiedave 7 years, 3 months ago

A number 2 seed has its advantages -- (1) makes you hungry for more, and (2) makes you less over-confident.

Mike Barnhart 7 years, 3 months ago

Where would you guys put us? One or two?

Everyone is "wishing", "hoping" and "guessing" but what does the eye test tell you?

I'm saying we're a 2 seed (5th in the S-curve.) By the way, my eyes say Missery is a 1 seed ...OUCH, that hurt to write!!!

rockchalkxii 7 years, 3 months ago

1: KY, Cuse, UNC, Sparty 2: KU, MU, OSU, Duke

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 3 months ago

I don't think it matters much. If we are an #1 seed, we would be sent to Phoenix with Mich St as the #2 seed. If Mich St gets #1 seed they would go West with us as the #2 seed. #1 or #2, it looks like Phoenix.

Josh Galler 7 years, 3 months ago

at the beginning of the season most had us between 3-6 seed and we finish as a possible 1 - 2 seed IT does not matter to me where we are potential 1 or 2 seeded RJCH

John Mueller 7 years, 3 months ago

I think a 2 seed is about right. If we win out in the post season tourney, we're a 1.

I concur that Missery is deserving.

The only difference between being a 1 and a 2?

A 1 seed has never lost a first round game. 2 seeds have.

Arizona comes to mind and, I think maybe Georgetown?

I recall the Richmond Spiders as a 15 seed winning vs. a 2.

Anyway, its all about matchups and.........sack.

If you know what that means, you've probably won alot more than you've lost at anything in life.

If you don't know what that means, you never will.

I love this team because they have to play at a high level to win. They can't go thru the motions and have much success.

This has been one of my very favorite seasons of all time because each night, for the most part, they have played extremely well when the game was on the line.

TT has become a man and a leader and I expect he will lead this team well in the dance.

But, we need the very best effort from Withey, Trob, Elijah and the boy with slow feet and the golden 3 if we're gonna make a run.

Before this team, my favorite all time run was the team with Alonzo Jamison.

That is the year Kincaids became a Kansas bar, forever. Good times.

Here's hoping this year becomes another final four run to remember.

Rock Chalk!

Brian Skelly 7 years, 3 months ago

No one should be ate up about which seed... especially since its going to be a 1 or 2. Part of me would rather get a 2, especially if its in the Midwest (St. Louis regional).

Self as usual is right about matchups. It's ALL matchups. And its at the point now where once you get past your first game, all the teams are going to be anywhere from good to great. It is THE tournament after all.

I know Mizzou fans are pining for that # 1. The Big 10, which has been talked about all year as the best conference top to bottom, should have the winner of today's OSU / MSU game be the last # 1. They also split during the season. IF KU had not had it handed to them Friday, it likely would have been a similar situation with them and Mizzou.

Regardless, for selfish reasons, id prefer St. Louis regional. But how often have we been fired up about "where" we'll end up in the regional, only to get knocked out the first weekend? Certainly more than once... as we're all reminded of this time of year.

Lets just see if we cant play 4-5 well played games from here on out.

REHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Somehow, I think a 2 seed might best fit the focus and determination of this team. Another hurdle to overcome, just a touch more of something to prove or shoot for. Somewhere down the line I would enjoy a matchup with those classy SEC chanters who purchased their final tickets to the Big 12 Tournament. We knew that the striped cats with antlers would weasel a way to expose their rectums. Congrats to T. Boyle for dominating the Pac-whatever. Here's hoping he finds a path back to our league when a lucrative job opens...maybe a Texas or Okie State. Oil money could hardly be more appropriately invested.

John Randall 7 years, 3 months ago

If you've read anything at all about Tad Boyle, CU has been his dream job since before he came to KU from Ft Morgan.

floridajayhawks 7 years, 3 months ago

This team has me a little worried. It doesn't matter what seed this team is, because I don't know if they can come out every game "in the zone." This team is very inconsistent, but I do hope they play well and make it far.

ParisHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

"very" inconsistent is an exaggeration.

All teams are consistently inconsistent to some degree.

The most consistent KU team was the 2008 team. I remember a stretch of domination in the regular season when some journalist said it was so repetitive it was almost boring.

One thing this team does pretty consistently is go on runs. That's harder to do in the NCAAs since play is slower, which worries me a bit.

JD Roth 7 years, 3 months ago

Why inconsistent?? Because another team played good on Friday night?? The socalled experts kill me. Basketball is not complex in determining who wins games. If you play tough defense, do not turn the ball over, make free throws and hit your field goals, you win. I've rarely seen a team lose when they execute the above. So and so got upset!! Well, let's see how they played; 2-11 from three, 22 turnovers, 13-24 from the line, they probably lost.

mojayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

I don't care whether we are a 1 or a 2, and mizzou fans will cry buckets if we get the nod over them. BUT, though we have more losses, we have only one bad loss, Davidson. Otherwise, Duke, Kentucky, Iowa State, Baylor, and mizzou.
Mizzou on the other hand, has 3 bad losses: Okie State, and 2 losses to K State (sorry, cats).

Based on this, we could go higher. But, realistically, we are a likely 2 seed. our RPI is #6, mizzou #10. Pomeroy (kenpom) puts us at #4, mu #8. Lunardi continues to put us at a #1, but I think that will change after the Big 10 finals. Michigan State looks likely to move to a #1.

All good. #2 will be new territory and a great incentive. With all of that said, I actually hope we are a #2.

Go Hawks!

7 years, 3 months ago

I would contend that Davidson was not that bad of a loss. They won their conference regular season, their conference tournament, and have an RPI of 65.

JD Roth 7 years, 3 months ago

Davidson is not a bad loss in any aspect of basketball discussion.

John Randall 7 years, 3 months ago

Not as bad as some, but yeah, at Sprint, end of pre-con season, it was bad. But it was also the slap in the face that woke us up and I'm grateful for that.

DallasJayhawk1 7 years, 3 months ago

We all know it doesn't matter--just get back to the Final Four--that in itself considering we are having a "down year" says a lot. I do think being a 2 seed would bring a little more edge to our game vs. being a target at a 1 seed.

kureignman 7 years, 3 months ago

Here's a compilation of over 90 different brackets from all the big names.

As you can see we are the last 1 seed over Mich St by a small margin. A win by them and I assume we'd flip. That means if we are the 1, we'd play in the west. If we're the 2, I would think we'd get st loius.

WilburNether 7 years, 3 months ago

We will not get St. Louis. Kentucky will be there, since they will be the #1 seed overall, and St. Louis is closest to them. If we're a #2 seed, we will in all probability be the top #2 seed (i.e., 5th seed overall), and we would be placed in the regional with the lowest of the #1 seeds (4th overall). The fifth seed overall will not be in the same regional as the #1 overall, which will be Kentucky. If we were the 6th seed overall, we would be placed in the regional with the #3 overall seed (i.e., third-ranked #1 seed). We would have to be the last of the #2 seeds (8th overall) to be sent to St. Louis, and I doubt that we will fall that far in the tournament seeding.

kureignman 7 years, 3 months ago

You may be right, I'm no expert. But Seth Davis was saying yesterday that geography matters more than the s-curve. So if we are the top 2 seed we will go to whatever is closest to us even if it's against the overall number 1. Also, UK is equal distance from St Louis and Atlanta so it's not a lock they will head to st louis. Although that looks like more of a possibility since it would make most sense to send unc to atl and uk to stl.

adamjhwkfan 7 years, 3 months ago

The top seeds don't work like that. The "S Curve" for the seeds, while it helps with how to dish out seeds, actually doesn't effect where the top seeds go, they actually get location preferences. 1 seeds aren't the only one to get them.

So, technically, you could have the #1 1 seed, and the #1 2 seed in the same bracket.

Robert Brock 7 years, 3 months ago

Our conference performance revealed the look of a 2. Accept it and play harder.

Spencer Goff 7 years, 3 months ago

I knew Baylor was going to choke again. They go out in the 2nd round.

Mizzou will be playing in Omaha an St. Louis, if they cannot make a Final Four this year just shut down the program.

Kye Clark 7 years, 3 months ago

Couldn't hear ya, must have something in your throat again. LOL! Tell us again about your vast area of expertise of "choke in the throat"

7 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like IrishChuck needs a (dirt) nap.

Kye Clark 7 years, 3 months ago

Nah, at least to the dirt part. I just like laughing at him. :)

7 years, 3 months ago

I retract the dirt part, your honor :^)

jaybate 7 years, 3 months ago

IrishCharlie,

It be a blind pig's eye that saw Fizzouri in anything but a toilet seat.

Sure'n I always forget, sir.

Would you be the IrishCharlie reputedly called PigShizzIrishCharlie, or the IrishCharlie reputedly called EnglandsPowderMonkeyIrishCharlie?

Now don't take this as a hard knock on the Irish either, because I got a bit'a'the'spud's blood in me, lad.

Take it as a knock up on yourself.

And a pint'o'pathogens to ya, too, sir.

truman 7 years, 3 months ago

An article in the print version of the Journal World this morning stated that the Mizzou fans booed the Big 12 commish while he was handing the team the trophy last night. I am now 100% glad that Mizzou is leaving. Hearing that sealed the deal for me.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 3 months ago

Boy, that Kim English---he is one cocky dude. I can tell you this---Mizzou comes in very confident, almost pretty cocky. They are good. However, I have seen a lot of games and teams this year. The Tigers go against a team, like, let's say, Long Beach State, who is a good team. It only takes one bad performance by Mizzou to enter the "Heartbreak Hotel" syndrome. They haven't proved anything in the Big Dance. And until they do, I just think they'll get bounced out, especially by a team that has a good front line. I rest my case.

cool_beans 7 years, 3 months ago

i know this isn't going to be popular but unless the bench steps it up i don't think this team gets past the sweet 16

ParisHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Don't care, just get past the first weekend! Losing in one of the first two rounds is a blemish, afterwards not. Last year, 3 out of 4 #1 seeds lost before the Elite Eight. It happens.

dynamitehawk 7 years, 3 months ago

I agree - seed doesn't matter. However, if Barack Obama selects Kansas to win it all, he should be impeached.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

+3.47 (the price at our gas pumps here)

Janet Olin 7 years, 3 months ago

I am thrilled that the team played above everyone's expectations, and I congratulate them for a super season. What concerns me is that the entire team can appear to be disinterested/unmotivated/flat. How is that even possible during championship games??? Tired/hurt I understand, but unmotivated? Really??wth

Mel Clare 7 years, 3 months ago

I dont give a rats a@@ what obama thinks..............

MrPilot 7 years, 3 months ago

I, for one, hope we get a #2 seed. A #1 seed is too much pressure with few benefits. You might get to play a little closer to home the first few rounds, but KU fans travel well, so that's not a huge gain.

Kye Clark 7 years, 3 months ago

A big congrats to future hawk and fellow Heights alum Perry Ellis. Quite possibly the greatest high school player this state has ever produced. Can't wait to see him in the crimson & blue next year.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 3 months ago

Amen, to that. Also, in two years, can't wait to see the other Conner in crison & blue---that's Conner Frankamp. He is a sharpshooter and only getting better with each passing day.

Chuck Stones 7 years, 3 months ago

How about the sophomore from BV that threw in 30ish in the loss? Is he a recruit?

Tony Bandle 7 years, 3 months ago

Technically, wasn't Danny Manning a Kansas Hiogh school basketball star??

UncleMiltyN 7 years, 3 months ago

Yes. At Lawrence High...two time AA - Wayne Simien from Leavenworth...Lon Kruger didn't go to KU, but another really good Kansas HS player...Don't get me wrong, I hope Ellis ends up being better than all those guys.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 3 months ago

Great player. But Darnell, Greg, Danny and Antoine all great post-college careers. And, Ricky Ross may have been best of all.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 3 months ago

I would love to see some upsets and have KU be a #1 today. Who wouldn't want a #1 seed? A lot of Jayhawk Nation folks have spoken---#1 seed would put a target squarely on our back. A #2 seed would be interesting and in my mind, would possibly make the Jayhawks more motivated to get to New Orleans. Again, like it has been said before, it's all about match ups. No matter what happens, it has been a fun team to watch. Frustrating at times---HCBS has said that. It's been fun, though. What would be more fun? Make it to the Final 4. Even an Elite 8 or Sweet 16 berth would be somewhat satisfying, especially, since this was supposedly a "down year." Rock Chalk!

DevilHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

We would have good fan support at any regional location, but that would definitely be true in St. Louis or Phoenix.

Regardless, I think that a 2-seed would be better for us for motivation.

ejlumus 7 years, 3 months ago

Here's wishing FSU is in misseries bracket.

Hawks better strap it on or we will have another ealy exit.

JayHok 7 years, 3 months ago

Missouri fans still don't get it. The tier 1 and tier 2 were fixed before Mizzou left to the SEC. The tier 3 is the exact same as what the SEC has. Alabama can sign a huge contract with ESPN just like Texas did. If KC is Mizzou's town--yeah right look at the numbers of alum--- what did they just do to their fanbase. They'll have to drive to Nashville or Louisianna to experience anything like what happened yesterday. They'll never have another moment like this again. They just gave up on 105 years. They just gave up the spirit of KC they had when the tournament is here. For them the big 12 tournament in KC and the strength of the Arrowhead game were huge for them and especially their fans. They booed the big 12 commissioner. Wow. Chanted SEC in a KC arena? Wow. Have they lost their minds? They will never have this again. The conference was stablized with tier 1 and 2 and they still left. That's what their fans don't seem to get. Alden and the MU board screwed--and I mean screwed--their fans. They'll never have this again.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 3 months ago

I love it when folks get right to the point. JayHok, your post is spot on! Thanks for contributing. Rock Chalk!

Spencer Goff 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm glad they are leaving. They have perhaps the dumbest fanbase on the planet. They actually think the SEC is a "fair-shake" conference? Have they watched the last five to ten years of SEC football and some of the "odd calls" that go on? If you thought Texas gets favorable calls, wait until the SEC needs LSU, Alabama, or Florida to remain unbeaten so they can get into the BCS Title game.

Mizzou better enjoy this run now. Those are Anderson's kids, not Haith's, their "coach of the century" is just as along for the ride as their fans.

The only plus side to going to the SEC? Their basketball stinks.

Intrust needs 3,000 more seats and it is the same size as the Sprint Center, let's do this!

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

I 100% disagree with your use of the word "perhaps".

It is "DEFINITELY" the dumbest fanbase on the planet.

Iandhi 7 years, 3 months ago

Joey Brackets S curve as of 11:42am EST:

1-KENTUCKY 2-Syracuse 3-N. CAROLINA 4-BIG TEN winner 8-Duke 7-BIG TEN loser 6-Missouri 5-Kansas 9-Baylor 10-Marquette 11-Michigan 12-Georgetown 16-Florida State 15-Indiana 14-Wisconsin 13-Louisville 17-Wichita State

With KSU and ISU at 32 and 33 respectively. Texas is out of the "Last Four In" at 42.

Spencer Goff 7 years, 3 months ago

Does Joey take into account the "Texas is UT, after all" effect?

I'll be shocked if they leave Texas out of anything that concerns money and television.

jaybate 7 years, 3 months ago

Yes, Baylor is not really Texas.

Waco is just an inholding. :-)

Gotta have Austin A&M represented.

Lance Hobson 7 years, 3 months ago

Let's just cross our fingers for a #2. Our powerhouse teams never hold up well to the #1 seed pressure and this team is a marginal #1 seed at best. We'll likely bow out pretty early.

KansasComet 7 years, 3 months ago

Let's get to the Sweet 16 first. Sort out the rest later!

jaybate 7 years, 3 months ago

"Questions of Da Day in Fake Gangster Vernacular as Toinnament Seeding Approacheth, Ya knowz?"

~As most of deeze here coaches and player types now says that match-up is of more importantcy than say da seed, why doesn't deeze selection committee types rank da teams from best to woist and den picks da easiest match up for da best team and da toughest match up for da woistest team, and so on for all of dem teams? If dis was done, den da best teams would have da greatest probability of going da foitherest and wouldn't we den tend to have da best odds for da best Final Four teams possible, right?

~If it is, like, okay to make Damon Runyonesque allusions to da criminal hustler stereotype within da fine Italian-American community witch da likes of Joey Brackets, might ESPN also introduce deeze here types also:

Meyer Brackets for da Jewish American touch; Mickey Brackets for da Irish American touch; Bill the Butcher Brackets for da English American touch; Leroy "Nicky" Brackets for da African American touch; Yaponchik Brackets for da Russian American touch; Tsutomu Brackets for da Japanese American touch; Joe Boys Brackets for da Chinese American touch; and Koo Majok Brackets for da Korean American touch?

This is America, right, where everyone can exploit gangster chic, if they wants to...right? Right?

~Has anyone seen what da betting line is on UK being, like, da Number 1 seed in da toinament?

~Would dis here KU like have to draw an inside straight, in order to be a Number 1 seed in this selection process?

~In a Baylor intrasquad scrimmage witch dis Scott Drew stiff coaching both sides, would both squads like roll snake eyes and lose?

~If KU like infected Baylor widda bug and Baylor infected MU wid KU's bug, aren't da odds 3 to 1 that Baylor and MU would become like symptomatic in the foist round of da Madness toinament?

(Like note: dis is all fiction. And it be wid out no malice, see?)

jaybate 7 years, 3 months ago

(Like note: dis is all fiction. And it be wid out no malice, see?)

jaybate 7 years, 3 months ago

Hey, you'z guyz, who put da double down key in my lap top, eh?

jaybate 7 years, 3 months ago

And hey, my apologies to any groups I left out. There are so many heritages of Americans, I just had to list what time permitted.

JayHok 7 years, 3 months ago

According to Mizzou fans, Vanderbillt is 'the champions' of the SEC and Florida State is 'the champions' of the ACC.

I hope our players are ticked off for six games!

Get MAD Jayhawks!

mojayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Anyone notice how many 2nd place teams are winning their conference tourneys? FSU, Vanderbilt, mizzou, maybe more

jaybate 7 years, 3 months ago

Great observation!

The obvious solution to conference tourney redundancy is to institute the following:

The conference season winner does not have to play in the conference tourney and is automatically given the highest seed available of any conference team.

The other conference teams are then playing for the runner up seed that the conference receives.

John Randall 7 years, 3 months ago

Might be OK, until you have a year like the Pac-12, where the "runner up" spot is one of the play-in games for a 13-seed.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 3 months ago

Actually FSU was the 3 seed and Vandy was the 3 seed right? Duke and Tenn. were 2 seeds in their tourneys.

KansasComet 7 years, 3 months ago

The conference regular season is the real test. Anyone can get hot and win the conference tournament. Kansas won the Big XII with a home and home schedule. Winning by two full games. Looking forward to the challenge of tournament. After a loss, Kansas is a pretty good team. If Kansas is not a number one seed, then we will be the only team to be penalized for losing this weekend from the top 4.

John Randall 7 years, 3 months ago

Well, we did lose in the semi-final round to #4, not in the final to #3.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 3 months ago

What a weekend...

1 Kentucky - Lost. 2 Syracuse - Lost. 3 Kansas - Lost. 4 North Carolina - Lost. 5 Missouri - Won. 6 Duke - Lost. 7 Ohio State - Playing MSU. 8 Michigan State - Playing OSU. 9 Marquette - Lost. 10 Michigan - Lost Eight of the top 10 ranked team will have lost in the last couple of days. My guess is that post season tournaments will not have that much effect.

As far as Lunardi, there was study that ranked all the bracketologist based on the accuracy of their past predictions and Lunardi was in the bottom third. Not that good.

Let's face it, predicting which teams make it is not that hard. I would venture to guess that the majority of posters in this site can correctly predict at least 64 of the 68 teams. after all, many teams are automatic qualifiers and the rest are high ranked teams. the only questions is the last 3 or 4 teams. The real art is predicting the seeds and sites, and Lunardi is not that good compared to most other "bracketologists" out there. Just because Lunardi has the biggets audience (ESPN), does not make him a better bracketologist..

ku_tailg8 7 years, 3 months ago

I don't give a flip if we are a #1 or #2. Big Deal! I'm more worried about the consistency of this team. I definitely don't want to be the first #1 to lose a tourney game and who knows with this team. A #2 is fine with me. (I don't see us getting a #1 anyways) The opposing teams doesn't care about the seed. They just know they are playing Kansas and we have to be ready to match the intensity of these lesser seeds.

Bee Bee 7 years, 3 months ago

An easy prediction: Syracuse, UNC and Uk all lose and dont drop. KU loses and will drop to #2. It s like shooting fish in a barrel folks.

Bee Bee 7 years, 3 months ago

ParisHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Shooting fish with all three barrels is more like it.

Bee Bee 7 years, 3 months ago

rob4lb 7 years, 3 months ago

Currently Lunardi would be fine with me. They have KU #2 and Michigan State #1. I think there is alot of pressure on the #1 seed and KU does not have a history of handling that very well. There is always a race to see which #1 seed will get eliminated first. Upsets are what the tournament is all about. I agree with ku_tailg8, the seeding is secondary. Will the team play consistently? Name one game where KU played a complete game against a decent team from start to finish- maybe Baylor and K-State at home.

mikehawk 7 years, 3 months ago

It doesn't matter if #1 or #2? It does matter. This team NEEDS to be a #2. The theme of this team is disrespect, counted out, and lacking talent, No J Boys on the Big 12 tournament team! Good! Point this out clearly Coach. This team plays its best when threatened, motivated, and focused. Thomas and Tyshawn need a chip on their shoulder. When they "show up" they play lousy and lose, or at least play lousy and are lucky to win. The only caveat to my argument is if we get a #1 and the media goes wild about why we don't deserve it. Have at it, national media. PLEASE find a story line allowing you a way to trash this team.

Hawktacular 7 years, 3 months ago

If OSU wins, we are the #1 seed in Phoenix with MSU as our #2. In this scenario Missouri would be the #2 in St. Louis and OSU the #2 in Boston with Duke managing to play relatively close to home in Atlanta (shocker...). After all, this thing is all about catering to Duke. If MSU wins, we are the #2 in St. Louis with UNC as the #1. This would result in Missouri as the #2 in Phoenix. The selection committee will favor the Kansas regular season conference title over the Missouri tournament title.

FarSideHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Rooting for MSU then!

Go Spartans!

RCJHKU!

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 3 months ago

I just heard the most stupid comment from Andy Katz on ESPN Bracketology show. While discussing why conferences have post-season tournaments, 3 analysts including Gotlieb thought it was fro the money, Katz on the other hand said that conferences has post season tournaments to get ESPN"s attention...talk about having an inflated opinion! He probably thinks that the NCAAA committee looks at Lunardi's brackets to decide who to select. Unbelievable.

FarSideHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Can't believe Kentucky lost! I'm afraid they are going to go all the way now. They really needed that false sense of security by winning the SEC tournament.

Would still love to see Jayhawks play them again go for the win.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 3 months ago

Definitely would've liked to have seen UK and Cuse come into the tourney with just one loss and overconfident. Now they both probably make at least the elite eight with at least one in the FF.

ParisHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Michigan State won. If the Committee takes that into account, we are a #2. We would have had a better argument against Ohio State.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 3 months ago

Here is a ranking of "bracketologists" based on their success predicting teams and seeds:

For all the hoopla that Lunardi gets, his records is not that good when compared the competition.

Steve Brown 7 years, 3 months ago

Last year we had a great team, the twins, Morningstar and Reed, throw in Brandon Rush, oops okay the years run together.

It's a new season. let's rock.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

This has been a wonderful basketball day for me so far.

Kensucky lost.

North Crapolina lost.

Ohio State Butteyes lost.

Now if only Missucki would get lost out in the woods on their way back from the meth lab.

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 3 months ago

Just realized, the B12 Tournament championship game was played by teams with the initials B/M. (so, a little second grade humor is in all of us sometimes!)

At least Missouri can't say they beat KU to win the tournament. We beat Baylor twice to win the regular season title. How many times did Mizz beat them?

okiedave 7 years, 3 months ago

The "B" school caught us in another tournament game. Not liking to see Belmont in our bracket.

BCRavenJHawkfan 7 years, 3 months ago

Kentucky will be tested early, Iowa St. or UConn. WSU in that region. Duke as well.

FarSideHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

@BCRaven, Seems like a fairly tough bracket for the overall #1 seed. Let's see the rest. Hoping for the Jayhawks to be in Midwest (because of UNC, not the location); but afraid it will be West.

fansincewilt 7 years, 3 months ago

Whew! Tough road for the overall #1 seed.

FarSideHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Mizzou shipped out to PHX! Kansas in St. Louis!

rob4lb 7 years, 3 months ago

The selection committee has MU rated ahead of KU

MrPilot 7 years, 3 months ago

Not necessarily. If we end up in the Midwest (Omaha -> St. Louis), I would take that as us being a higher #2 than them. They have to go play the 2nd weekend in Phoenix (if they get out of Omaha).

rob4lb 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm sure UNC is the overall #3 team over Michigan State, meaning that Missouri was overall #5.

FarSideHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I don't agree with that, but because of that we got the better draw...so I'm good.

milehighhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

How is there not an official live blog for this?

Sheesh.

Jace FitzGibbon 7 years, 3 months ago

looks like we're in the midwest. gotta get my tickets lol

rob4lb 7 years, 3 months ago

We get a potential mid major in the 2nd round/

FarSideHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Not a bad draw for us guys! As long as we don't do what we did the last couple of years.

SDSurferFan 7 years, 3 months ago

SDSU v KU as a possible s16.....head with explode jelly beans.

RockChalkDoc 7 years, 3 months ago

Kansas was sixth. Mizzou was fifth. But we get St. Louis, fortunately.

jayhawks71 7 years, 3 months ago

Funny. I heard the chair say Kansas was the 5th overall seed and Mizzou the 8th, to which the talking heads went nuts that "Mizzou was closer to a 3 than a 1."

jayhawks71 7 years, 3 months ago

And, watching the Hardcore Brackets show, Mizzou was the 8th overall seed.

RockChalkDoc 7 years, 3 months ago

I stand corrected, jayhawks71. I missed that part. :)

Steve Brown 7 years, 3 months ago

The com. chair said live Mo was 8th and a solid #2 for the way they are playing and record against top 25-50 but the lowest #2 due to strength of schedule was the weakest.

Since MU was 8th would have been 'more right' to place them in Kentucky path. oh well.

mispayku 7 years, 3 months ago

1 seed, 2 seed...I'm emotional with my bracket and ALWAYS put our guys right in the center! Rock Chalk!

Skoomlaash 7 years, 3 months ago

Lets go Kansas Rock Chalk prepare yourself from start to end. P.S. coach Self please leave the big watch at home and please no Obama picking Kansas again. Just kidding guys lets get ready to cheer on our Jayhawks and go get it KU-men! It's there for you so go after it and make that dream a reality.
Just play your best, fight tell the end, stay focus and play with confidence. From a long time Jayhawk fan and Kansas Alumni