Friday, March 9, 2012

Tyshawn Taylor named Cousy Award finalist

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor pulls up for a jumper over Kansas State defenders Rodney McGruder and Angel Rodriguez during the second half on Monday, Feb. 13, 2012 at Bramlage Coliseum.

Kansas senior guard Tyshawn Taylor has been named one of five finalists for the 2012 Bob Cousy Award, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced Friday.

The award is given annually to college basketball’s top point guard and is named after Hall of Famer Bob Cousy. The winner will be announced Monday, April 2, in New Orleans as part of Final Four weekend.

Joining Taylor as finalists are Isaiah Canaan (Murray State), Matthew Dellavedova (Saint Mary’s), Damian Lillard (Weber State) and Kendall Marshall (North Carolina).

Though Taylor was not included on the 11-member Cousy list released earlier this season, he was added back into consideration by the committee because of his performance over the last month of the season.

A consensus All-Big 12 first team selection, Taylor’s 17.2 point-per-game average ranks fourth in the Big 12.

The Hall of Fame’s blue ribbon selection committee, which will review the final five candidates for the award, is made up of top college basketball personnel including media members, head coaches, sports information directors and Hall of Famers.

Comments

mumbojumbo 7 years, 3 months ago

Finally some recognition for a great point guard in the Kansas University basketball program. He has stuck to it and got better each year. He has really stepped up this year to make himself so so much better and help our program continue to be one of the best in the nation. Way to go TT

master16 7 years, 3 months ago

and he deserves it. but Kendall Marshall will probably get it. kid can't score, but man can he pass. he's more of a true point guard as opposed to a scoring point guard like TT.

Eric Williams 7 years, 3 months ago

I think Lilliard wins it. He's leading the NCAA in scoring and averaging somewhere between 4-5 assists.

tisaiah 7 years, 3 months ago

Way to go TT, He should be a All American and His jersey Hung in the rafters. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn - ignore this article. We still need the chip squarely on your shoulder.

Eight more games.....

Ben Kane 7 years, 3 months ago

'bout time they correct this gigantic error.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 3 months ago

Gigantic error is no doubt. Nice to know that they finally got something right!

ParisHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

The Cousy folks admitted their mistake. Doesn't happen that often. Hats off to them.

Tyshawn, you showed us all. Keep it up!

PamB700 7 years, 3 months ago

Fantastic! I don't know if I've ever seen a player improve so much so fast, and I've been a Kansas fan for over 40 years. Keep it going!!

jhawklifer 7 years, 3 months ago

Hinrich's conference season his junior year is the only thing I can compare it to....

gchawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Well deserved honor and nomination, congrats Tyshawn.

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 3 months ago

Has there ever been a player who has won one of these awards after having been left off the list of semifinalists?

Tyshawn deserves it, but I'm sure it will go to that UNC kid.

Mel Wedermyer 7 years, 3 months ago

Way to go TT, you deserve it. Sometime you upset me, but you are the best.

mattiesdad 7 years, 3 months ago

How about a breakdown of the finalist's stats and lifetime won-loss records?

Jeffery Barrett 7 years, 3 months ago

Taylor 17.2 PPG 4.9 APG 1.4 Assist/TO

Canaan: 19.2 PPG 2.4 APG 1.4 Assist/TO

Delladova 15.6 PPG 6.4 APG 2.3 Assist/TO

Lilliard 24.5 PPG 4.0 APG 1.8 Assist/TO

Marshall 7.2 PPG 9.6 APG 3.6 Assist/TO

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 3 months ago

Outstanding! Well deserved.

Anybody else watching UK/LSU? The most biased reporting I've ever heard. Davis, Davis, Davis...channel change.

Clarence Haynes 7 years, 3 months ago

Pathetic but what would you expect from Dykes!

AverageCitizen 7 years, 3 months ago

What, no kentucky point guard??????? Surely this is a mistake!!!

KGphoto 7 years, 3 months ago

Canaan will probably get it. He's the only finalist who is on the POY list as well. Don't care. I'm just glad he's getting his recognition, and it can't hurt his NBA stock.

Rock Chalk 7 years, 3 months ago

Ah, so proud of Tyshawn! This will catapult his playing even higher. He has to want this award. He definitely deserves it. We all want it for him! Go Tyshawn. Have fun and show them the star we know you are.

clevelandjayhawker 7 years, 3 months ago

just got a Kusports.com poster at power and light...they used my avatar picture i have used since feb of last year or so for it...it is for the 2012 8STR8 theme but clearly a cornhusker in the background...come on kusports pick it up its March

Rock Chalk TT, but keep the chip on the shoulder

ccarp 7 years, 3 months ago

Alright, Tyshawn! Now make it no question who is the best point guard in the country!

machinegun 7 years, 3 months ago

Congratulations Tyshawn! You deserve to be recognized! Beat Mizzou!

Scott Smetana 7 years, 3 months ago

I think Canaan will win, but would take TT on our team first.

prusso25 7 years, 3 months ago

Wait, Anthony Davis isn't being considered for point guard of the year? The guy blocks shots! Apparently that is the only stat that matters in college basketball now.

I hope you guys are picking up on the obvious sarcasm.

jayhawker_97 7 years, 3 months ago

this news lightened up my day! great recognition, TT!!! now, go out there & score more with those icy cool floaters & treys..

plotku 7 years, 3 months ago

I was glad to see this. What was I not glad to see????????? Aqib talib is being sued for threating to "put a cap" in some lady. That is one jayhawk I'm glad doesn't openly associate himself with the school.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 3 months ago

Congrats, Tyshawn! Keep the chip squarely on the shoulder. Rock N Roll with every game left in this season. Rock Chalk!

Michael Thorp 7 years, 3 months ago

Nice to see you get some recognition Ty, but I too hope you keep playing with a chip on your shoulder. Take it to the Bears tonight! RCJHK

Janet Olin 7 years, 3 months ago

Would've laughed at the suggestion earlier in the season, but Ty really pulled himself together and elevated his game during conference play, and I applaud him.

monkeehawkSL8 7 years, 3 months ago

TY, I HAVE SPENT MORE TIME SCREAMING AT YOU ON THE TV THIS YEAR, I HONESTLY DO NOT THINK BASED ON YOUR ENTIRE BODY OF WORK, THAT YOU SHOULD WIN THIS AWARD. YOU HAVE BEEN CONSISTENTLY INCONSISTENT. I WILL BE THE FIRST TO ADMIT THAT YOU HAVE PROVIDED SOME STELLAR PERFORMANCES. HOWEVER I CAN NOT ERASE FROM MY MIND YOU THROWING BULLET PASSES TO YOUR TEAM MATES, HITTING THEM IN THE ANKLES OR TO THE 7TH ROW. THAT CAN AND WILL HAPPEN TO ANY PLAYER. ITS THE LOOK YOU HAVE GIVEN THEM WHEN THIS WAS YOUR MISTAKE. I BELIEVE THAT EARLY THIS MAY HAVE CAUSED SOME PROBLEMS WITH TEAM UNITY. I HEARD THAT IN THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR HCBS SAID THIS WAS YOUR TEAM. PLEASE TAKE YOUR TEAM AND WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, I'LL GET YOU MY PHONE # WHEN YOUR DONE AND YOU CAN CALL ME AND SAY ANYTHING YOU'D LIKE. NOW TAKE CARE OF THE BALL, TOUR TEAM AND PROVE ME A FOOL.

Bailey52362 7 years, 3 months ago

Are you seriously posting this??????????????

Congratulations, Tyshawn, on this much-deserved award. it's been a pleasure watching you over the year. Wishing you the very best in your future, and I hope you make a ton of dough.

MimiHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn Taylor was one of 20 finalists for the Cousy Award L A S T season, it was ridiculous that he was not a finalist again this season.

I'm thankful this grievous error has been corrected.

Rock Chalk Tyshawn Taylor, starting point guard for the University of Kansas !

Ryan Michael 7 years, 3 months ago

To be fair, he started the season off suspended (again), and then he had a record number of turnovers in the Duke game...

He didn't start the season off deserving to be a finalist based on the suspension alone if you ask me. That award is supposed to be largely based on team work and leadership. Starting your senior year off suspended (again) reflects poorly in both categories.

Thankfully he appears to have gotten his head on straight and performed outstanding since then... And the committee decided to add him.

All around good decision making by them if you ask me. TT needed to own up to his mistakes, finally take responsibility for them, and then take some strides forward. He's done that, and now he's reaping the rewards of growing up.

Orangedog87 7 years, 3 months ago

Great news...congrats to TT.....go win it all now

wrwlumpy 7 years, 3 months ago

The NBA wants his speed and the people in the NBA are just as fast. His teammates will be able to keep up. I love Conner, but he's quick, not fast. Very poor draft this year. Ty and T-Rob will get paid alot. Jeff, PLEASE STAY ONE MORE YEAR.

Next year is going to be fast lane fun. Self's seconded highest ranking in recruits. This Will be EJ's team next year with 3 starters back and the best Newcomer class since 2006.

Poor Bill Self. Now the pressure to win will be 10 times greater next year.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 3 months ago

Jeff will stay.. He showed a lot of weaknesses against Baylor. If he can improve next year as much as this year..he will be NBA ready.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 3 months ago

I hope the POY & Cousy Award selection committees weren't watching us against Baylor. One bad performance this time of the year can make a large impression.

HiloHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

I hope they weren't watching either, because he deserves recognition for the whole season, not one game. Speaking of today's match - what masterful strategy! While Missouri, Texas, and Baylor beat each other up and down, we watch TV and eat pizza. Come next week, we are rested, injury-free, embarrassed, and mighty hungry!!!

Steve Brown 7 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn. proud of you, just ball and enjoy it. enjoy every possession both sides of the court.

REHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Congratulations, Tyshawn. Give it everything you've got to offer in the upcoming Tournament. I'd like to remember you as the lone returning starter who pulled a group of hungry bench players to a Final Four.