Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Former Kansas great Delvy Lewis dies at 68

Delvy Lewis, the starting guard for the Kansas team that lost to Texas Western in the 1966 NCAA tournament, has died after a nine-year fight with cancer. He was 68.

Lewis's family informed the school that he died Monday afternoon.

Lewis started for three years under coach Ted Owens at Kansas, helping the Jayhawks to a Big Eight championship as a senior. But the year ended in disappointed when Kansas lost to eventual champion Texas Western, the team depicted in the Disney film "Glory Road."

Owens says Lewis was "a great leader and a great competitor," and in good spirits in December during a reunion of the Jayhawks' 1965-66 team at Allen Fieldhouse.

Max Falkenstien, the longtime radio voice of Kansas, called Lewis "one of the real class guys in the history of KU basketball."

Comments

Bobo Fleming 7 years, 8 months ago

Lots of great memories of goodl times in Allen with Lewis. Had a great corner jump shot. Rip. He will still be in the Phog with all the other passed Jayhawks. Sometimes people say there is something about that place. Looks like Kansas is in trouble and then "something" happens. I will always believe the "something has to do with sprits of all the passed Jayhawks and they make that "something" happen.

UmbertoConforti 7 years, 8 months ago

God Bless. Eternal Rest and may the Light Perpetual shine upon you. May Delvy rise in Glory on that Day.

Loss to TWU isn't exactly it. Got rooked is a better word.

Ben Kane 7 years, 8 months ago

sad news, and sad converage. this deserves more than just throwing up the AP wire story, specially on this site.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 8 months ago

Oh, wow. That's too bad. My condolences to the family.

Displayhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Coming from someone with the integrity and class that is Max Falkestien, that is high praise indeed! RIP Delvy! Prayers go out to the family and friends.

Helen Gross 7 years, 8 months ago

I know this is totally off the subject but what channel is the game on tomorrow?

Mick Allen 7 years, 8 months ago

Delvy Lewis was a class act. One of the first high school basketball games I ever remember watching on t.v. was Lawrence High vs. Washburn High in a substate match on WIBW I believe. Washburn won in a very close game and Delvy was the difference. LHS had a very strong team with Sam Shipstead, Frankie Dowdell. Ralph Light and Curtis Robb. Delvy's back court running mate was Ron Paradis, now deceased. Ron went on to play at KSU. LHS did a good job on Ron, but Delvy beat us.My condolences to the Lewis family.

Mick Allen 7 years, 8 months ago

Washburn High should read Washburn Rural High.

jaybate 7 years, 8 months ago

Delvy was the guy who kept us all practicing and trying in my neighborhood. He was the little guy who proved one of us short locals could make the big time. I loved watching him handle the ball. He was fundamentally perfect. I can still see his reverse dribble done perfectly every time, just like in the books and at the clinics. He was good, good enough to let Jo Jo focus on shooting and defense at the two, and not have to do everything, to play the way Jo Jo would play in the pros. I always wondered what their relationship was like. I know Jo Jo is sick, but I wish he say something on the record about his backcourt teammate.

Delvy always seemed the quintessence of the Ozzie and Harriet, Father Knows Best, Leave It to Beaver, Donna Reed generation that I was a part of.

I believed in the vision then.

And part of me still does.

Rock Chalk, Delvy.

Steve Corder 7 years, 8 months ago

Lewis was one of the first to use the behind-the-back dribble to change directions. He made that move without hardly slowing down. He was a great point guard that always played under control.

REHawk 7 years, 8 months ago

jb, hang on to "the vision," at least for another 4 weeks! Let's dredge up early Christmas in April.

milehighhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Stories like this make me wish Bill Mayer was still writing.

Couldn't KUsports.com at least link to some articles, photos or videos from the archives?

This is shameful coverage.

Shawn Otrimble 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm friends with his mom. She is a wonderful lady who is heartbroken. My prayers for the family.

John Randall 7 years, 8 months ago

The criticism of LJW coverage may be premature, but we certainly deserve better than we've gotten so far.

That backcourt compares well to any that ever played in AFH and was certainly the best one between Dr. Allen himself and the revival that started with Larry B.

John Randall 7 years, 8 months ago

This is an example of a story that LJW should own, and the AP duplicate instead of vice-versa.

Kudos to KU Athletics for their preparedness to put out something closer to a journalistic effort.

Randy Signor 7 years, 8 months ago

Yes, I was at LHS at that time, Ralph a good friend; lived about a block or so from Allen Field House (coach Owens my neighbor) and saw every one of Del's games; him and Al Lopes, what a great backcourt. That last team of Del's was my favorite.

riverdrifter 7 years, 8 months ago

Sorry to hear of Delvy's passing. Fine player and great Jayhawk.

No. No. No. JoJo's foot was NOT out of bounds.

I remember!

ku_foaf 7 years, 8 months ago

I enjoyed yelling "Watch your foot, JoJo!" at the movie about Don Haskins a few years ago. I was probably the only one in the Texas audience who knew what was coming.