Sunday, March 4, 2012

Tyshawn Taylor named co-Big 12 player of the week

Kansas' Tyshawn Taylor completes a dunk in the second half for two of his 27 points.

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor has been named the co-Big 12 player of the week, the conference announced Sunday.

Taylor shared the honor with Kansas State forward Jamar Samuels.

Taylor, a senior guard from Hoboken, N.J., averaged 24.5 points in KU's victories over Oklahoma State and Texas last week.

Taylor made 65 percent of his shots and also went 11-for-11 from the free throw line in the two games.

It was the second time this season that Taylor picked up the weekly honor and the eighth time this season that a KU player has earned the award.

Comments

Anonymous58 2 years, 5 months ago

Now what do the Cousy award people think......are they BLIND!!!

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Not quite. They wear blinders and earmuffs, so they can ignore the truth when it slaps them up side the head.

Kye Clark 2 years, 5 months ago

Guess EJ will just have to go out and win the conference tourney MOP if he wants to get in on the accolades the other starters have been receiving.

Wonder what Samuels did this week that made it necessary to share the award. Anyway, congrats Tyshawn!

UNTHAWK 2 years, 5 months ago

Nah, He'll just wait until next year to win Conf POY. I'll take that instead.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 5 months ago

Carry that chip on your shoulder, Tyshawn, all the way to the "Big Easy!"

melrank 2 years, 5 months ago

Congrats to Tyshawn!

Does anyone know when the Big 12 will announce the season awards?

Mike Kendall 2 years, 5 months ago

Bob Davis said on the radio broadcast last night that the season awards would be decided this afternoon. So, by the time you see your Monday morning newspaper (or go on-line), the results should be in there.

melrank 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the replies. I see there is now a page on the Big 12 site announcing that the awards will start coming out today at 3:00 Central. Good luck to our Hawks!

OonlyBonly 2 years, 5 months ago

Congratulations Tyshawn! It should've been yours alone, imho.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

Could any of us predicted to heights that Tyshawn has attained this season, if we had been asked two or three years ago?? I don't think so!!

Now just win the last six games of this season!!

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 5 months ago

The last six are the ones that lead to a National Championship. I believe that is what OakvilleJHawk was referring.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 5 months ago

Ya, but a conference tourney win wouldn't be so bad either as the majority of ncaa champions take their conference tourney at years end also...

actorman 2 years, 5 months ago

Is that true? I'd like to see the stats on that, but I'm not sure you're right, CaliHawk.

actorman 2 years, 5 months ago

Okay, having WAY too much time on my hands at work, I did the research, and this is what I found:

ACC: 6-5 Big East: 4-2 Big 8: 0-1 Big X: 1-0 Big XII: 1-0 Big West: 1-0 Pac whatever: 0-0 SEC: 5-2 SWC: 0-1

TOTAL: 18-11

So apologies, CaliHawk, you were right. However, it is interesting that if you count only starting with Villanova in 1985, the record is 12-10, which is more along the lines of what I was thinking. (It's actually kind of amazing that UK won the NCAA championship in 1951 but DIDN'T win their conference tournament. How was that possible in those days when only a few teams made it to the NCAA tournament? Maybe Vanderbilt was disqualified, or chose to go to the NIT instead that year, as I believe that was considered more prestigious back then.) (This is also assuming that I've covered everything, which I believe I have, although it's possible that I missed some conference tournaments for the more obscure champions from the early years.)

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 5 months ago

Ya know a lot of people were surprised by Jeffy this year... But as Mickie D all am. I really expected him to do more and get more p.t. than he was getting. Altho in hindsight TRob now obviously deserves the POY and wasnt a starter last year either... So... Gotta Lo e thay the player of the year is a ju.Joe and had been a bench player as a soph. Sitting behind two NBA lottery picks! This is our down year! I love being w KU grad! Beautiful music!

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 5 months ago

And don't get me wrong, I did not expect TT to develop like he has this year, I just expected Withey to do something as I remember seeing highlights of him, as well as watching him in the all am game before he xferred from Zona, and envisioned him being a stud... Love that KU had "hidden" NBA talent riding pine for 2 years (.well Withey, maybe not TRob). And NOW! We continue our slogan, "We are KU, WE DO NOT Rebuild, WE RE-L0AD! "

I love KU. I take away nothin but happiness from beautiful Ltown... Fantasy island. God(thank you for creating) such a great place!

DDDHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Well-deserved, Tyshawn! Keep up the great effort!

REHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Wow! Shooting 65%, hitting 11/11 from the line in those two games. Compare his league play with any other point guard this semester, and try to find anyone better.

actorman 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm most encouraged by the FT shooting. Let's hope he keeps it up into the tournament, as I'm still quite concerned that FT shooting in general with this team could cause its downfall.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 5 months ago

How many FT's has he missed since Columbia?