Sunday, March 4, 2012

Ending suits Conner Teahan

Kansas guard Conner Teahan wipes away a tear as he talks about his dad, Mark Teahan during his senior speech to the fieldhouse crowd on Saturday, March 3, 2012.

Videos

2012 KU senior speeches

video thumbnail

Senior speeches from Tyshawn Taylor, Conner Teahan and Jordan Juenemann following KU's 73-63 victory over Texas March 3, 2012.

Videos

KU vs. Texas

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Texas, 73-63, on Saturday, March 3, 2012, at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 73-63 victory over Texas on March 3, 2012.

Download podcast

Kansas vs. Texas

Box score

All week, those around Kansas University senior Conner Teahan had told him that once he picked up the microphone for his senior speech, he was going to start rambling.

“I didn’t think that was possible,” Teahan said following KU’s 73-63 victory over Texas. “And next thing I know, I look at the clock ... ”

Right before he started his speech, Teahan promised to those around him that his whole talk would only take seven minutes.

It ended up being about twice as long.

“You get caught up in the emotions, and you don’t want to leave anybody out,” Teahan said, “but then there’s so many people here that have made such a big impact on my life. I didn’t want to go without properly thanking them.”

Teahan spent the end of his monologue thanking his family, telling his three brothers and sister how much they meant to him.

When he moved on to thank his parents — Donna and Mark — he noticed both were wiping away tears.

Teahan also broke down.

“I don’t tell them how much they meant to me enough,” Teahan said. “I don’t know if I just expect them to think that, but they’ve just been the best support system that I could ever have. I was glad to be able to tell them how I felt.”

KU coach Bill Self even relayed a funny story about Teahan’s mother, who told him on a visit that if he didn’t take care of her son, she would kill him.

Once Teahan’s speech was over, Self cracked a joke of his own, saying it was important for Teahan to thank the people in his family. But it also was important for Teahan to guard the ball better for the next four weeks.

“I felt like off-ball, I was fine today,” Teahan said. “I had my hands on some (passes) and everything like that. But on the ball, I got beat.”

In his final home game, Teahan scored three points on 1-for-3 shooting in 24 minutes.

“I was just thinking the whole day coming into it, ‘I don’t care about the speech. I don’t care about me scoring. I just want to win, because I don’t want to go out of here on a loss,’” Teahan said. “I think us beating them and then the speech afterwards were the things that I’ll remember most.”

Comments

ryanzig 2 years, 9 months ago

What an outstanding young man, I will truely miss him and his corner 3 point splats!

John Randall 2 years, 9 months ago

It seems the shot goes in for Connor when we need it most – tonight, for instance, the one he hit was timed just right to settle everyone down when Texas was on a bit of a run and got within single digits. Having his steady presence to spell the other guards for 5 to 10 minutes apiece can't be ignored as a factor in this conference season. He gets beaten more often than Travis, EJ and Tyshawn, but so do 90% of the defenders in the league, and at least half of them get beaten more often than he does.

Rock Chalk, Connor, keep it coming for another month.

Alohahawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Like the quote, in previous articles, where Coach Self mentions a recruit telling him that when Conner is in the game, the opponent has to honor his 3 point shooting and extend his defense, rather than helping to double team TRob.

Does make one curious as to who the recruit is that said that. Contest time: Guess the recruit who said it. I say it's Frankamp, because he shoots so many outside shots. (Only guessing, having never watched him play). Of course, it could be a post man, because they would also recognize when defenses are forced to honor 3 point shooters, thus freeing up the postman.

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 9 months ago

CT has had a bit of an up and down year, and I used to cringe when I saw him coming up to the scorers table, but the Mizzou game inAFH cemented his legend. We don't win that game w//out him. Thanks for the memories dude, especially that one

REHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Conner, there have been times this season when you have been a real game changer, not just a bench player to pop into a game for relief of starters. We have come to see your 6th man status as essential to this season's substantial number of wins. You very well could be the player whose shot springs alive at the right moment to shut down the strength of a Syracuse or Kentucky at the Big Dance. Keep that competitive fire and determination stoked to help usher this squad to post season glory! Oh, and please continue to riddle the bucket with booming efficiency if, once again, we get the opportunity to send those defecting Tigers howling with dismay to the netherregions of hangdog disappointment. Heck, we might meet up with them twice again before they finally tuck tail and slink away from the torment of their century-old Middle America alliances.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

I can't explain why but I was anticipating crying, shedding tears more for Tyshawn. Not to say that I didn't for TT. I have to admit, though, June got me started and then, Connor. Connor's speech was quite familiar to the one given by Tyrel Reed. I think I went through a half of a box of tissues when Tyrel gave his speech.

And the surprise of having T-Rob coming out to be recognized in front of the crowd. I said at my Mac-------no way! HCBS, the sly fox that he is, said, "If you want to speak to the crowd, come back next year!" Wow, that's classic! Coach of the Year, in my book. Rock Chalk!

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Teahan, two-time Gatorade player of the year in Missouri, Mr. Double Degree, you did it, man!!!!

You hung in all the way and you became a sixth starter and contributed a true member of the rotation.

You did it.

And the cool thing is that finally it was the rounded player, and not the trey shooter that did it...the guy who got his hands on some balls...not just the gunner...who did it!

You walked on and you did it.

You sat in the shadows for so long and then you did it!!!

Rock Chalk Mr. Teahan, Rock Chalk!

Keith Kienzle 2 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate, you sound a little like Dickie V here with the exclamatory positivity, repetition and the use of "Mr Teahan"...

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

Sorry about that.

But its a little tradition with me that on senior night, or sometimes after players play their last games of the season, I call them Mister to show respect and show that they are entering the adult world. I still use their nick names, but once these guys have made the kinds of sacrifices they have made and matriculated, then they deserve Mister by their names. Vitale just uses it has empty hype. With me it means respect, not just for their game, but for them as adult men.

Sally Presson 2 years, 9 months ago

jaybate, you said it all for Connor, we all love him and appreicate all he's given to this program, I only hope he realizes how much we appreciate all he given to us.

I wish you the very best because you deserve it!!!
Rock Chalk

Tony Bandle 2 years, 9 months ago

Teahan Hiaku

Started as a scrub

Labored beyond his limits

Left the court a Hawk

cklarock 2 years, 9 months ago

Looked like Zac Efron

Finally got some minutes

Lit up Missouri

mikehawk 2 years, 9 months ago

They will forever talk about the final meeting between Kansas and Missouri in Allen Fieldhouse, the day KU came from 19 down in the second half. And they will always make note of the local kid who went 4 for 4 from beyond the fence, when KU needed every last one of those points to pull out the victory. Your legacy in KU basketball lore is secured. Enjoy the moment. You did it the long way, and you did it the right way. Congratulations.

Mike Hart 2 years, 9 months ago

Teahan sucks... Let's not sweeten it. Just call a skunk... A skunk.

oldrocker 2 years, 9 months ago

Hey, mhart...go pleasure yourself with a cream cheese dildo, you D-bag.

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

Copy and paste.

Except don't waste good cream cheese.

Go pleasure yourself with a strand of barbed wire.

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

Yes, it was long, but he is a legitimate D1 basketball player and you are not.

:-)