Thursday, June 28, 2012

Keegan

Charlie Weis knew his stuff all too well with Irish

The three captains — quarterback Dayne Crist, left tackle Tanner Hawkinson and pass-rusher Toben Opurum — also happen to rank among the most talented guys on the Kansas University football team, but it doesn’t always work that way.

“One of my college roommates was a kid named Terry Eurick, and he was a back-up running back our senior year — and a captain,” KU coach Charlie Weis remembered.

I distinctly remembered Eurick gracing the cover of Sports Illustrated, so I decided to fact-check Weis by phoning Eurick at his home in Michigan.

“I backed up Jerome Havens and Vagas Ferguson,” Eurick confirmed.

The two superstars each ran for 100 yards in Notre Dame’s national-title-clinching 1978 Cotton Bowl, a 38-10 triumph against Texas in a game Eurick carried the ball four times and scored two touchdowns.

Eurick played for a Michigan high school, Saginaw Arthur Hill, that outscored its opponents, 433-0, his senior year. The unlikelihood of him making the cover of SI doesn’t compare to the shock value of what it took for Joe Montana, one of the top few NFL quarterbacks of all-time, to start at ND.

“To give you an honest story because he was one of my boys since freshman year of college, did you know our senior year he was the third-string quarterback? Rusty Lisch was first, Gary Forystek was second, Joe Montana was third,” Weis said. “That’s true. Our fourth year together, he was third-string quarterback to start off the year.”

In the third game, against Purdue, the speedy Lisch threw multiple interceptions and was pulled in favor of the strong-armed Forystek, who moved the team down the field and suffered a broken collarbone and other injuries. Lisch, Weis remembered, came back in, and threw another pick. That’s when Montana took the job and never gave it back.

So how is it that Weis knew the football players well enough to call Montana “one of my boys”?

“Sure, Charlie knew Joe,” Eurick said. “Charlie virtually knew all the guys, at least all the ones who lived in my hall. He played on the softball team senior year that won the championship. He was always playing basketball. He was always around the guys. He would go up to people and just talk to them. Charlie was never shy.”

Never shy to express an opinion, either.

“Oh, I was bad-mouthing the coaches left and right (for not playing Montana),” Weis said. “I was sitting there saying, ‘What are they thinking?’ Yeah, I was one of those cynics. Pretty good at it, too. So when they’re hammering me, that’s old news.”

But don’t bother telling Weis that Corpus Christi pastor Father Mick Mulvany, an ND fan, wears some of his old gear, left behind in a box at the ND football offices and sent to him by an assistant coach. Weis doesn’t want to hear it. Notre Dame fired him, remember?

Comments

actorman 2 years, 1 month ago

And oh, BTW, ??????????????????

Robert Rauktis 2 years, 1 month ago

Wasn't this meant for the South Bend Gazette?

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 1 month ago

Tait brings us a great behind the scenes look at what HCCW and his staff are doing.

TK brings us HCCW knew a guy on Sports Illustrated and (kind of sort of) Joe Montana.

Doug Cramer 2 years, 1 month ago

Never knew about Joe Montana being a 3rd string QB.

justinryman 2 years, 1 month ago

Rudy!

Rudy!

Rudy!

Oh wait not here, not now.

jayhawkboogeyman 2 years, 1 month ago

This might be somewhat interesting if it gave a context in which Weis mentioned those people and then came full circle to say something about the KU captains at the top, but as written I fail to see any point and have no reason to find any of it compelling. If you want to write a good article, it's your job to tell me what you're writing about and why I care.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 1 month ago

There are 11 different people name dropped in this article and 13 paragraphs. That's a new record!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 1 month ago

kwahyajjj 2 years, 1 month ago

Agree. I was so dizzy after reading that I had to take a knee.

Mo Golany 2 years, 1 month ago

I never bash Keegan but I'm def scratching my head lol!

amatxjayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Why the hell wouldn't you? If he writes a good article it's all about the million monkeys with a million typewriters theory.

RCJayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

jhox 2 years, 1 month ago

Who edits the sports editor's stuff? Talk about mailing one in. Keegan must have been running late to his tee time when he wrote this. I can honestly say this is the most disjointed article I've ever read on this site, and that's saying something.

Brendan Connolly 2 years, 1 month ago

When I went to Kansas, I played cards with a guy named Joe. More suprising than that is that Joe had eaten pizza one time with Danny Manning. Amazingly, Danny Manning played against Reggie Miller whose sister scored over 100 points in a game and eats pizza. Its supposed to be hot today and was one time when Danny Manning was in Lawrence. Don't tell anthony peeler that though as he still has Mizzou gear.

John Randall 2 years, 1 month ago

Glad you think so – it kind of confused me.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 1 month ago

Tom Keegan writes a story and like clockwork the angry mob assembles. This is one of those times when I think I'm either too old or too "bleeding heart" for sites like this. The constant, merciless bashing of Keegan by certain readers makes me uncomfortable. It reminds me of what people used to write about Jason Whitlock years ago at the KC Star. It just seems needlessly mean-spirited. Keegan has a unique writing style, and I get that allot of folks don't like it, but this isn't intended to be Pulitzer-winning material.

As for this particular article, it's about how Weis knew some pretty interesting people at ND, including one of the greatest QB's of all time. And it's about how Weis knew how great that QB was before anyone else apparently did. Not earth-shattering news, but it is interesting context, and I appreciate the article for that. Maybe if some of you put down your pitchforks and reread the article you would appreciate it also. But then again, probably not.

Brendan Connolly 2 years, 1 month ago

I have never once complained. That said, and maybe I a ignorant,but who is Mock Mulvaney and what the heck did he have to do with this story?

Jock Navels 2 years, 1 month ago

Danny Hernandez 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm confused...maybe it's my age!

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 1 month ago

Geeze people. Lighten up. Sky is not going to fall. You try to find something to write about in Lawrence Kansas during the Summer when there are no KU sports going on.

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 1 month ago

Could Charlie look around the office and see if Turner left behind any boxes of old gear. Anything XL and larger would be appreciated.

Ryan Shelton 2 years, 1 month ago

I find it interesting to hear about our coach when he was just a student and the Joe Montana bit.

Jayhawk444 2 years, 1 month ago

I told myself not to click. It's a Tom Keegan article, I told myself. You will be confused and disappointed, I said. It always happens, I knew. But I clicked. And I was right. Will I ever learn?

STL_Jayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

One thing left out of the article in regards to why Lisch lost his starting role was that he played horribly the week before in a loss to Ole Miss. I grew up in Memphis as a huge Ole Miss fan. I was fortunate to have an aunt and uncle that took my cousin and me to every Ole Miss game from 1977 until I went off to college in 1983. Ole Miss was not very good back then, but the gameday experience in Oxford is something that should be on everyone's bucket list. Ole Miss went 5-6 in 1977 but somehow gave Notre Dame their only loss of the season in front of 48,000 crazed fans. I remember watching the barefooted punter Jim Miller warm up before the game and boot one from the 20 yard line into the stands behind the other endzone. But mainly, I remember how everyone in the South (even those that hated Ole Miss) wanted Ole Miss to "beat those Catholic boys from the North!" People loving to hate Notre Dame is definitely not a new phenomenon.

Oh how times have changed. These days, it would take a lot of magic for a team to lose a game to an opponent with a losing record and still win the national title. The new playoff system will make that easier to accomplish, but at least it will have been settled on the field and not by the AP voters.

On a side note to Coach Weis, please add Ole Miss to our non-conference opponents. They will bring a lot of fans to Lawrence. And our fans will absolutely love the experience of spending a weekend in Memphis or at the casinos in Tunica, MS along with one of the best college gameday experiences in Oxford.

HawkTronic 2 years, 1 month ago

Those of you who have followed the LJW for a while might recognize that TK is starting to channel Bill Mayer...

Jock Navels 2 years, 1 month ago

Bill Mayer was better than Keegan.

collegebb 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm trying to search for Keegan's secret message in this article. There HAS to be a reason for why this is here..... if you take the first letter of each paragraph...no, thats not it....

jhawkrulz 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm sure I've bashed TK before and I'm sure I have supported his articles as well. However, I'm not sure what I was supposed to get out of this article.

1) They had a great QB at college that had a bad game. A replacement was put in that had an injury. Finally, they put in a future hall of famer. I guess I was curious why Joe Montana was the third string QB, was he awful, no work ethic, I would have loved to have seen that answer. 2) I'm curious what Weis saw in Montana as the 3rd String QB, it never says. It says he kind of knew the guy and when given his shot he was going to do great, but what was it that HCCW saw in this future NFL QB, never mentions that. 3) I thought how the story began, that we should expect one of the captains to be downgraded to the 3rd string.
4) So HCCW didn't take all of his clothes with him, so some assistant sent the clothes to a Pastor in Texas, so that Pastor could wear some clothes that Charlie Weis wore three years ago. I guess I was always curious what assistant coaches do, but really they mail old clothes to pastors? And what does that actually have to do with Team Captains and third-string RBs and QBs? 5) Why wasn't the first and second string RBs on the cover of SI? Was there something more to the story then you forgot to tell us?

actorman 2 years, 1 month ago

I too have sometimes complimented TK and sometimes criticized him, but jhawkrulz, you put it perfectly: this article makes no sense whatsoever and is ridiculously disjointed. For those of you who are criticizing the TK criticizers here, I ask you to respond to any of the many specific points that jhawkrulz made as to why this article doesn't even qualify to be called amateurish. As someone else mentioned, it's like TK mailed it in on the way to his golf game.

kugrad93 2 years, 1 month ago

Kit Duncan 2 years, 1 month ago

It takes a little research to figure out, but I believe what Tom is saying here is that just because someone is considered a top flight player and is a captain of the team, don't rule out other lesser known players. Coach Weiss believed Joe Montana was the better quarterback who, at third string as a senior, was unlikely to ever get the opportunity to show anyone what he was capable of doing. Events proved otherwise, and now he is regarded as one of the best QB's ever. In what turned out to be the National Championship game against Texas in the Cotton Bowl, it wasn't the (by then) highly regarded Joe Montana who ended up gracing the next cover of Sports Illustrated. It was a third string running back by the name of Terry Eurick, who ran the ball all of four times for only 16 yards, yet scored two touchdowns in the process.

Expect Coach Weiss to find the diamond in the rough and, when we least expect it, hopefully we will all be privileged to witness the appearance of a star player seemingly from out of nowhere.

actorman 2 years, 1 month ago

If TK had actually written it that way, it would have been an article worth reading.

HAWKS1 2 years, 1 month ago

My thoughts follow what others have said - "Huh??" This must have been Mr. Keegan's outline for his initial draft for an upcoming article that accidentally made it to print. It makes absolutely no sense by itself. How did something like this get past the editor and proof readers?

wats211 2 years, 1 month ago

Charlie Weis....I love this...I bought season tickets and joined the Williams fund....I can't wait...Keegan... I need my Charlie fix daily...get busy writing ... Oh by the way...where is the peoper respect given to Mangino....the Allen Field House Museum....welll....Its embarrasing...give the man his due and put him in the hall...it distrspects his players

kayjku 2 years, 1 month ago

Yikes, I know it's summer, but really?? Really??

John McCoy 2 years, 1 month ago

If you don't like what Keegan writes, don't read it.