Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Thomas Robinson, Tyshawn Taylor await NBA call

Former Kansas forward Thomas Robinson puts his hand in a break with children during the NBA Fit event near Harlem, New York, on Wednesday, June 27, 2012.

— Tuesday night, a little less than two days before the suits and smiles of the NBA Draft take the place of the more familiar high tops and high-fives, former Kansas University standouts Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor met up for one more game of basketball.

This one, unlike the previous 113 they played together as teammates at Kansas, was a one-on-one battle on the blacktop of New Jersey, and it came a stone’s throw from the neighborhood in which Taylor first began to dream his NBA dream.

“It was cool,” said Robinson, who is expected to be selected in the top five of tonight’s NBA Draft in Newark, N.J. “We always talked when we were in school that he would come to my neighborhood and I’d come to his. We grew up in similar areas, so I felt comfortable. It wasn’t anything I’m not used to.”

Except that it was.

After catching up, checking out the court and admitting their nerves, something unusual occurred.

“We were just on the court messing around and then I took my hat off and he took his hat off,” said Robinson, setting the scene. “Then we started shooting some more, and then I took my phone out, he took his phone out. Then I took my chain off, he took his chain off. And the next thing I knew we were out there playing against each other, sweating.”

On paper, the game was a mismatch both ways. Robinson’s 6-foot-9, 245-pound frame and 7-foot-3-inch wingspan no doubt posed a problem for the 6-3, 185-pound Taylor, whose lightning-quick first step and superior handles likely made him a nightmare for Robinson, as well.

On this night, Taylor’s quicks prevailed.

“Ty won,” Robinson said. “He had his whole neighborhood around, though. It was the homecourt advantage.”

In many ways the impromptu one-on-one showdown was exactly what these guys needed during one of the more hectic, yet exciting, times of their lives. From the time they were young until just a couple of months ago, both almost always had been in control when it came to basketball. But all of the glitz, glamour and uncertainty that comes with the NBA Draft puts control out of their reach. Their stats are in, careers are closed and individual workouts finished. Now all they can do is wait.

“It’s gonna be a very, very long process,” Robinson admitted. “I probably won’t be there long. Who knows, though. I’m sure I’m still gonna be nervous.”

In some ways, Robinson is envious of Taylor’s position. Instead of sitting in the green room with the lights, cameras and cheers surrounding him, Taylor, who could be picked anywhere from late in the first round to sometime in the middle of the second, will hear his name called via television, surrounded by as many friends and family members as he can cram into a New Jersey living room.

“It’s more comfortable for him because it’s here, local, where his family is originally from,” Taylor’s mother, Jeanell Taylor, said. “It gives him an opportunity to be with his entire family and I think that means a lot to him. He’s actually more nervous than anything. Going to (Madison Square) Garden and playing Kentucky and things like

that are totally different from him having to sit there and wait for the teams to call his name.”

Added Robinson: “He gets the real, 100 percent feeling of how it’s supposed to go. And I honestly think that’s one of the best ways to go through it. Once you get your name called, it’s probably a better feeling or a relief because you really don’t know.”

The friends and family members here provide comfort for both Robinson and Taylor. KU coach Bill Self and former KU assistant Danny Manning did not make the trip. But Robinson will be joined at the table in the green room by his nine-year-old sister, Jayla and her father, his best friend from childhood, his AAU coach and Angel Morris, the mother of Markieff and Marcus Morris who has filled a huge void in Robinson’s life since the day his mother, Lisa, passed away in early 2011. The Morris twins also made the trek to the Big Apple and will be at the draft, as well.

However, beyond the support of their families, the one thing that makes these two former Jayhawks feel so comfortable with so much on the line is the location where it all will take place.

“Just to be anywhere in the tri-state area is great,” said Robinson, a native of Washington D.C. “You’re not from here, so you’re not a hometown hero, but when you’re from the East Coast and you go to a school like Kansas, it’s kind of like everybody out here gets behind you. When I come back to New York or Jersey or places in the northeast, I feel a lot of love and it’s definitely good to be back.”

It’s not just the future NBA players who get a kick out of it. Taylor’s high school coach, Bob Hurley, said his former point guard’s return to the area was the perfect way to close out an amazing journey.

“For him to be coming back to Jersey to be drafted into the NBA is incredible,” said the legendary St. Anthony High coach. “We’ve been talking a lot about it. The guys he grew up with are all excited. The kids we have at St. Anthony’s now are all excited, and the coaches are all excited. It’s just absolutely great.”

Hurley won’t be with Taylor tonight, but he will be watching.

“I’ll be running home and jumping on the couch and sitting there holding my breath until it happens,” Hurley said. “We’re proud of him anyway, but it’ll be an even bigger moment because we know what the journey’s been like. With each kid, it’s different each time. And this one is just an incredibly special story for us. We’re so excited for him.”

As for Robinson, he said he believed the team that picked Taylor would be getting a steal and added that he would not begin his celebration until his close friend and former teammate can join him. “I told Ty I’m not making any moves until his name is called,” Robinson said.

Tonight’s draft begins at 6 p.m. and will take place at the Prudential Center for the second year in a row because of construction at Madison Square Garden.

What about Jayla?

Throughout the past year, Robinson has talked a lot about his sister and how all of the work he put in was for her future. On Wednesday, Robinson was asked how Jayla was handling the overwhelming scene that is the NBA Draft and he answered with one of his trademark smiles.

“I know what it’s like,” he said. “It’s great. Because right now she’s on 5th Avenue shopping. So she’s fine. And that feels great. That’s why I worked for it. So for her to see it actually happen will be a great feeling.”

Like Mike

If Robinson goes to Charlotte at No. 2 like some are predicting, he immediately will be employed by the man widely regarded as the

greatest basketball player of all-time, Bobcats’ owner Michael Jordan. When asked if he would be awestruck by the thought of playing for Jordan, Robinson made one key point.

“You’re playing for Mike, but you’re not playing with him,” Robinson said. “So it’s still up to me to get out there and work.”

T-Rob hearts Kansas

Without hesitation, Robinson needed just one word to describe what his three years in Lawrence meant to him.

“Everything,” he said. “The more I’m away from Kansas, the more I miss it and I start to remember things that I forgot I even did. Being at KU was special for me. I’ll definitely be back.”

What to wear?

One of the most scrutinized elements of the NBA Draft is the fashion sense — sometimes good, sometimes bad — that the players demonstrate.

Although Robinson did not divulge what he would be wearing when his name was called by NBA commissioner David Stern tonight, he did

clarify one thing.

“I’ve got an idea,” he said of his draft-night outfit. “Nothing too crazy. I don’t want them to talk about me.”

Speaking of Stern, the moment after Robinson hears his name called is something he has been looking forward to since the Jayhawks topped Baylor, 92-74, on Jan. 16 at Allen Fieldhouse. That was the night Robinson became convinced he would be one of the top picks in this

year’s draft.
“I feel great,” Robinson said. “And I’m ready. I’ve worked for mine and I’ve been able to put all of the adversity behind me. Once I shake David Stern’s hand, I’ll feel like I did something.”

Comments

justinryman 2 years, 1 month ago

Now that's family.

two guys playin pick up and neither one caring who wins.

They will both be great representatives of KU when they hit the league, no worries there.

Wish they could have proven more in college( not to me, but to the east coast media) and walked away waked with it all. But it's not the battle that settles the score but the war at the end.

These guys are warriors, they are Jayhawks, they are WINNERS. I will always respect and always remember what they brought to KU Nation.

F.O.E.

RCJHGKU!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 1 month ago

Potential breaking news stories. (But you won't be able to comment on because you use ljw mobile)

5) Vandals set fire to Memorial Stadium track. 4) Popovich Retires. 3) Brock Berglund to undergo sex change. 2) Mangino hired as OC at Liberty University. 1) Kansas University (<see what I did there?) to retire Brady Morningstar's jersey.

DDDHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Thomas and Tyshawn- Like many KU fans, I'll be rushing home from work to get in front of the tube to watch two of my favorite Jayhawks learn their futures! Best of luck to you!

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

"Thursday Thankful I'm Not a Thiger and Other Thoughts"

•If I were a Thiger, I would have to listen to Thouthern drawls from now to forever to get my checks, miss out on being a central player in Big 12 Super Conference expansion, and still suffer state regime change at the coal fracking hands of the Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas Energy Junta down stream. Woe is Fizzouri.

• Because B12 Super Conference Expansion increasingly appears conditional on energy infrastructure expansion (I.e., schools selection significantly based on their capacity for receiving pork in states willing to support the Northeast Super Corridor extension up the Ohio Valley, the LNG link from Grand Bahamas to Miami and up the east coast, plus the LNG lateral from Miami to Texas), most B12 expansion probably hinges on Romney getting elected and will not commence until that is certain. BCS formats? Fuggedabout'em. Follow the right of ways.

• TRob is about to learn the hard part of his career is just starting.

• Self not attending TRob's coming out party seems conspicuous. What up coach? Busy with Euro prep, or a hot recruit on the line, or an interview?

• MiJor, please draft Harrison and let TRob go to an organization on the way up.

• TRob, you want them talking about you from here on out. With your body, wear a Speedo and have a diva on your arm! You will get a Speedo deal and a supporting role in the next Fast and Furious DC before the second round.

• Donna Summers died kids. A part of me died with her. She was the hottest singer ever, when she wanted to be--a Marilyn Monroe for the ears. No one understands what we had and lost, because like Monroe, she never really wanted to be as sexy and sensuous as she could be. When she opened herself up for the "Love to Love You" session she changed everything. If America ever grows up about sex and love, she will be elevated to the top. She was not a great technical singer like Ella Fitzgerald, or Lena Horne, or Doris Day, or Streisand, or an overwhelming voice like Aretha, Houston and Carey. Instead, she was, like Garland, able to cut all the way to the she center of what it feels like to be with someone--to be a live to the core. Like Garland, the biz let her go there only rarely. She was not near the show woman Garland was. But if our sensualties are at our centers and I believe they are, then Donna Summers is the the singer that once went the deepest and returned with the most and shared it the most truthfully for any one with the courage to listen, rather than just dance. God bless and keep you always, Miss Summers. Greatness is not always recognized and cherished in its time. Yours was not, but one day, if the world ever grows up, it might be. And give Marilyn a hug for me when you see her. You were two candles in the wind, right Elton?

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 1 month ago

Have you been on a desert island? I don't know if you heard, but Whitney Houston also died. And, Michael Jackson passed away. Now, on to KU related news: Danny Manning is no longer with the program. Hope this helped catch you up to date on some issues. Wouldn't want you to embarass yourself!

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

memhawk,

First, if you're feeling all torn up inside about Whitney, because she was a cornerstone of your fantasy life, write something hot and wet about her and I will read it. :-)

Second, a nano-eulogy does not require covering everyone who is dead, does it? :-) I recall Satchmo, Lennon and Cobain are dead, too. And I skipped your Daddy, Elvis, and a bunch of hyper-blinged rappers. :-)

Regarding Whitney, how could anyone have missed her committing suicide, or perhaps getting suicided? She has probably made more money for the networks in the short time since her death than she made all her life, and she made a lot. And her estate will get a spike in song revenues for sure that someone else will get to spend. Poor, poor, Whitney. The woman with the greatest voice of her generation, the most stage presence, and who could have held a screen even with a Garbo had she worked at it--a corpse. Had she just worked at becoming real, like Tina Turner did, she might have survived what she appeared caught up in. Tina seems a real hero, but that's another post. Whitney appeared to turn into a junky caught up in the criminal badlands of music. Then she got into the recovery grey area where the antidepressants get mixed with the booze and The Big Sleep becomes more than a title. The question always is, I suppose: who mixed the ADs and the booze?

Someday, it is my dream that the genetic researchers devise the blockers for receptors of the molecules that substance abusers cannot resist; that they unlock the genetic keys that banish depression, rather than leave us to throw chemicals against the brain case walls and hope something sticks. The world will be a vastly happier and richer place for these tormented brothers and sisters of ours, and for all of us. I have dreamed this dream ever more vividly since David Foster Wallace's reputed suicide by hanging back in 2008, or so. Wouldn't we all have benefitted hugely from him finishing Pale King set in the IRS and teaching more young men and women to write? He apparently dreamed of becoming an American Dostoeyevsky, at least for a time. Couldn't we use whatever he might have become now, as the hype machine tools up to make money of his ghost rather than off what he would have done with a pulse? But instead DFW became a statistic, either of suicide or suiciding, depending on which explanation most suits one's thinking on such sad events.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Regarding Michael Jackson, I used to live down the road from him in California. No, I did not meet him personally. But from a community distance, he appeared to oscillate between a happy celebrity with great generosity and a troubled phantom perhaps fighting through being abused as a child, and fighting through never having known anything but stardom, since early childhood. I used to see him driving around town occasionally in an old pick up truck with a phony beard and work hat on. He looked so ridiculous, so unlike any local workers, that every local immediately recognized him the moment he drove through town. All the runaways that came from across the country in starstruck pilgrimage to the gate of his place also probably would have recognized him, as he drove out, were they not so afflicted with low self-esteem that that they could not see their own worth; that they needed to flee their own homes to come and glimpse a great, tormented song and dance man in often baffling retreat. His actual improprieties with children, if any, will perhaps remain IMHO locked in shadows, obscured by those that would have benefitted from accusing him falsely, obscured by those that had the resources to obscure what might have occurred, and obscured by those that benefitted from hounding him to death.

At a certain point, every very rich person is, I suppose, worth more dead than alive to the unsavory ones around him. It is perhaps why so many of them die so peculiarly. If a very rich person has not found himself and has not surrounded himself with the right kind of persons by a certain point, it appears he/she will not infrequently come to a bad end.

Poor Michael Jackson. So rich. So talented. So tormented. So troubled in his stardom. He also made himself a test bed for plastic surgery rather than keeping his handsome face in tact, as so many ultimately insecure Hollywood humans have done. And why losing his pigment seemed to matter to him (and to others) so much I never fathomed, when his true color was sound (pardon my synesthesia).

He was music and dance for a time. But once the money buzzards and the criminals of sound began to circle, his days were probably numbered regardless. Whether he did it to himself, or was done, he was triumph, then tragedy, with perhaps too much anger and pain inside to avoid the tragedy, or so it seems to me now looking back in time and at a great distance. The anger seemed so much a part of his music. And you cannot lie about yourself in music. What is there is there.

Regardless, memhawk, take your laxative and you will probably feel less short-tempered about my being hopelessly out of touch, perhaps by nightfall. :-)

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 1 month ago

If I took my laxative my s#&t would be flowing just like yours! (ha!)

april28 2 years, 1 month ago

A great story to read first thing this morning. Warms my heart. Rock Chalk Jayhawk. We'll have two first-round picks by the end of the night and both of these young men are about to enjoy one of the most exciting days of their lives. Really, really good stuff.

Alohahawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Nice eulogy to Miss Summers, Jaybate. And don't overlook another recent loss - Miss Whitney Houston, who could also carry a tune pretty darn well. Imagine Whitney and Donna getting together for a gig together. I know every generation has it's own, but those you mentioned have withstood the test of time. They could all "Rock the Chalk" when they appeared on stage and screen.

As for Judy Garland, "Over the Rainbow" has to be one of the most memorable motion picture songs, and it almost got cut from one of the best movies of all time.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 1 month ago

"The more I’m away from Kansas, the more I miss it"

AMEN! I feel the same way, t-rob! Good luck in the league...

saad007 2 years, 1 month ago

+1000000000 I really miss my jayhawk land, the best place in the world!

hawksince51 2 years, 1 month ago

T-Tob goes no. 2, TT goes late 1st round. With that the core, heart and soul of the 2011-12 team become multi-millionaires and I could not be happier for them. There are a lot of things about the NBA I do not care for, but giving boys from the hood a chance to achieve their dream is a good thing.

RockChalk26 2 years, 1 month ago

Bill could not make the trip?

I'm sorry but if Kansas has a possible #2 pick overall, you get your butt to New York. This is great exposure for those who are thinking about attending Kansas University/University of Kansas. Come on Bill, get to New York, get in front of those cameras, give T-Rob a big huge, let recruits see your work as a player developer.

Brak 2 years, 1 month ago

Yea I don't get that either, wasn't he there last year for the Morii?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Bill's getting his beard shaved off.

dnvrhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I can guarantee you Calimari will be there front and center.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 1 month ago

I disagree. No one should doubt Bill Self's deep commitment to Robinson and Taylor. If he doesn't attend, you can bet that there's a reason, and if it should happen to be that he's spending needed time with his wife and kids, he's earned it.

Self is not a glory hog. He's really not, but I know coaches who are. One in particular will be there.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

Agreed .. Coach Self has to be there, but for a very important family commitment. I can't imagine why he would not want the publicity his presence would bring.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 1 month ago

29, I disagree. If Coach Self isn't there, there's a reason, and if it's to be with his family, he's earned it. Self has devoted his life to those kids, but he's no glory hog. I can see Calipari there, and I could care less.

This is another thing about Self that I really like: he tends to step out of the spotlight and let others enjoy it.

kufreak1512 2 years, 1 month ago

In this podcast Jay Bilas again talks about Allen Field House. Calls it the St. Andrews of basketball http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/30818/b-s-report-jay-bilas

rwhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I would have liked to watch that 1-on-1 game...sniffle.

Mike Nicco 2 years, 1 month ago

If I remember correctly, Tyshawn was the least heralded player on his high school team. It would be interesting to see what the others were ranked, were they went to college and what they are doing now.

Good luck tonight Gentlemen.

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn was something like the 5th or 6th best player on his HS team. The others were Mike Rosario (Rutgers), Jiovanny Fontan (Fordham), Travon Woodall (Pittsburgh), AJ Rogers (St. Joseph’s), Alberto Estwick (Fordham), although I think one or two transferred.

Here's from an article around the time of the HS "championship" game in 2008:

"In Hurley’s eyes, Taylor is the best athlete on his team. Taylor is known for his thunderous slams and great speed. However, he is much more than a great athlete. Taylor showed off his defensive skills when he kept Tyreke Evans, one of the nation’s best players. . . Many believe that Taylor has the highest ceiling of all of Hurley’s guards. He has improved the most over his four years at St. Anthony."

Freedman Moor 2 years, 1 month ago

Jacque Vaughn nearly falls out of the first round. Aaron Miles, Russell Robinson, and Sherron Collins go undrafted. Is it Tyshawn Taylor's turn to be disrespected by NBA execs.

This just in...

I really hope this is true. This would be a great situation for Ty to get some quality pt while Rose is recovering.

Sam Constance 2 years, 1 month ago

You forgot Mario "I just hit the biggest shot of the 2008 college basketball season and I also have been known to explode for 30+ points and can play both guard positions" Chalmers on the list of disrespected KU backcourt players.

I will never understand how a player like him slipped to the second round. Luckily, Pat Riley seemed to recognize that he got a steal at #34 and compensated Chalmers better than most 2nd-round picks, although far under what he deserved. Especially if you take his contributions to the 2012 Champion Miami Heat.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 1 month ago

My dad is 77. Chalmers' shot is the biggest sports moment of his life, and he's a STL baseball fan.

Freedman Moor 2 years, 1 month ago

I was going to say I forgot someone, but someone beat me to it so...Damn, you're right! How the hell did I miss that?!?

Janet Olin 2 years, 1 month ago

Excluding a family emergency, I'm very disappointed that Coach Self didn't or couldn't attend.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Anywhere is better than Carolina, but Sacramento is a black hole.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 1 month ago

Sacramento is where the black hole looks down into!

Jason Keller 2 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn Taylor was STOLEN at 41 or whatever it was. Elite PG size, speed and athleticism. A proven winner. Played at a top 3 program and for top 3 coach. So, he tried to do to much at times, jesus. What else do you want in a backup PG?

What the heck was Sacramento thinking, they had a chance to line up T-Rob and Tyshawn. The two are clearly greater than their sums. Cousins, Robinson and Tyshawn would have been a solid step toward rebuilding the organization.