Wednesday, June 27, 2012

KU’s Border War win up for ESPY

Kansas head coach Bill Self raises up the fieldhouse following the Jayhawks' 87-86 overtime win over Missouri on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012.

The Kansas men's basketball 87-86 overtime victory over Missouri on Feb. 25 has been nominated for "Game of the Year" in this year's ESPY awards, ESPN announced Wednesday.

Then-No. 4 KU overcame a 19-point second-half deficit to beat No. 3 MU at Allen Fieldhouse. The contest also was the final conference battle against the two schools following a 105-year league history.

The win gave the Jayhawks at least a share of their eighth-straight Big 12 regular-season title — a championship they would win outright two days later.

An ESPY nomination special will air Wednesday at 10 p.m. on ESPN2, and fans can vote for the contest on ESPN's site.

Other "Best Game" nominees are Game 6 of the World Series between the Texas Rangers and St. Louis Cardinals and the NFL Playoff game between the San Francisco 49ers and New Orleans Saints.

Comments

Steve Brown 1 year, 9 months ago

I did vote for Norfolk as best upset, hope it gets plenty of play on the ESPY show. We don't have enough leverage to win this award, yet we should get some nice promotion in our segment. Sorry to say, Coach Cal and Unibrow and their pal Lebron may pick up some hardware that night, not best outcome for us.

JHWKDW 1 year, 9 months ago

Let us remember the second to last game Missouri had as a representative of the Big XII!A 15-3 drubbing by the eventual Baseball College World Series Champion University of Arizona Wildcats 15-3!

actorman 1 year, 9 months ago

"The contest also was the final conference battle against the two schools ..."

Why would the conference battle against both schools. I can understand the entire conference wanting to battle against Misuse, given that they got the whole realignment mess started, but I can't understand why they would want to battle against both schools ...

Seriously, that's an incredibly stupid thing to be posted by so-called professional writers. Jeez, guys, doesn't anyone actually edit these things?

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

"Somethings We Know Will Happen to MU During Its First SEC Season"

~Investigation clouds will continue to swirl around Haith.

~MU will finish fourth or lower in basketball, after its once a decade good team.

~The MU football coach will abuse a substance somewhere, sometime, don't know how, don't know when...

~MU football will finish mid pack.

~Chitlins will begin to be sold at football and basketball games.

~Alumni meth dealers from Missouri will send their sons by their mothers to open retail outlets in southern states.

~Losing margins will widen in football. Winning margins will narrow in football.

~Wrestling humans will be dropped. Wrestling alligators will be added.

~Dixie will be played at the half time of all games and confederate flags will fly in all classrooms.

~Parts of the campus will be planted to cotton.

~The columns will still stand for nothing.

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

~

Sam Constance 1 year, 9 months ago

Wow, it really seems like the ESPY nomination committee stacked the deck in favor of the KU/MU game.

I'm sure the Cards/Rangers game was great. Unfortunately, there is no possible scenario in baseball that can come close the emotional charge and intensity that comes along with a barnburner college basketball rivalry game. Baseball is slow, devoid of action 90% of the time, and lasts for 162 gawd awful games, making any individual game--even one for the WS title--just a blip in the pan.

The fact that I can't even remember why the Saints/49ers game would be in the running is proof enough to me that 2011-12 was a year devoid of really great games, apparently.

PS - there is no way MU/Norfolk St. is winning the "biggest upset" category. To win that category, people have to care/notice when someone beats you. Like how KU is always a hip choice. Missuori lucked out in that the same year (day) they lost to a 2-seed in the opening round, that school everyone loves to hate (Duke) did the same exact thing.

Duke will win the "best upset" category easily, methinks.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

HEM....in answer to your question, the universe does have a way of balancing out life's Karma....I am also a St.Louis Ram Charter Member season ticket holder so I haven't seen decent football for almost a decade!!!

Heck, we don't even have a decent place to tailgate near the stadium. No matter how bad the Chiefs may suck, there's always great pre and post game parties. In St.Louis, all we do is get stuck in traffic!!

CrimsonAndBlueForLife 1 year, 9 months ago

Norfolk State's win over Mizzoodle absolutely deserves to be the upset of the year, because it marked the first 15-vs-2 upset in eleven years.

As for Kansas vs. Mizzoodle? Yes, it was an epic win. But perhaps the Kansas-Purdue game in the Tournament ought to be game of the year.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 9 months ago

ahpermightaswellbeontheljwstaff here to inform you that Rob Riggle from the OP and graduate of Kansas University (see as a staff writer I have to call it that) will be the host of the espys.

johninkc1 1 year, 9 months ago

Seriously. I can't believe that any Jayhawk fan would consider voting for a World Series game as the best of the year. Baseball is perhaps the second most boring sport to watch behind golf. I am sure that it was a great game. Yawn! But I will stick with the KU/misery game which signaled the collapse of games to come- think Norfolk State. ROCK CHALK and may our Hawks make us proud tomorrow on the NBA selection show.

Alohahawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Numero Uno. Ichiban. Number One. No Ka Oi. What eva da kine language, the last Border War battle - KU vs MU - tops my list.

And I posted this before, when it appeared the day after the KU win, but I'll post it again: I love the photo at the top because it creates the illusion that a miniature KU cheerleader is standing on Bill Self's shoulder, resting her arm on top of his head.

William Blake 1 year, 9 months ago

There are border wars...

And there are border wars...

Nothing wrong with peace now and then. Our athletic program doesn't survive because of a border war so lets enjoy the peace and quiet while we go after something really important... like ANOTHER national championship!

KGphoto 1 year, 9 months ago

Pretty much dropped baseball when my Royals became a Wal-Mart.

Niners v Saints? Pff.

The rest of the country will never really understand why that last KU v MU matchup is really the game of the year, so I don't expect it to win. To me though, It was bigger than the championship game vs. Kensucky. I was more nervous before the game, and more upset during the game. What I felt after the game, and forever, is only rivaled by the two KU basketball championships during my lifetime.

Not sure any pro sport can do for me what KU does for me.

To me it was the Game of the year. Game of the decade. Game of the century.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

First of all, I do bleed Crimson and Blue but as a life-long baseball and Cardinal fan as well as a season ticket holder for over a quarter of a century, I have to side on Game Six.

As historic as the KU/MU game was, it was not a title game, it was not a playoff game, it was not even a post season game.

Game Six has been called by many the greatest World Series game in history. A World Championship was at stake on every pitch with more twists and turns that even Hollywood could come up with.

The best news of all??? Both my teams won!! What a great five months!!

741hawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Actually . . . Doc does know the game. That's exactly why Coach Self hired him. Think about it . . . YOU are criticizing Self about something like this? Next time, try to add a helpful comment.

hawkcat 1 year, 9 months ago

Why did Self hire Sadler, the poorest coach in the big 12, got fired, can't recruit, doesn't really know the game, what a joke.

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

I just absolutely hate that Missouri is nominated twice this year at the ESPY's while KU is only nominated once. Oh wait, Missouri is on the losing end of both games they are nominated for, ignore the hate being nominated twice comment because I love it.

KULA 1 year, 9 months ago

Just relieved not to be part of the "Biggest Upset" category this year. Of course, if we had beat Kentucky, we probably would've got some votes in that category--especially from the east coast writers, lol.

Btw, nice article about Thomas Robinson in the LA Times today. http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nba-thomas-robinson-20120627,0,82869.story

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 9 months ago

Seriously though, I have my ticket framed from this game... it was incredible. I've never seen Self go that nuts after winning a game. In terms of what was on the line, it easily surpasses the other two nominees.

tolawdjk 1 year, 9 months ago

The important thing to recognize is that Missouri is nominated twice this year for Outstanding Achievement in Failure.

Way to go Tigers!

LAJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last time KU received a nomination for "Game of the Year" the 2008 title game?

machinegun 1 year, 9 months ago

Let Tyshawn accept the ESPY after his outstanding effort in OT to secure the KU victory!

RJ King 1 year, 9 months ago

Well, I love my 49-ers, but if I have but one vote, it will be cast for the college rivalry that flew under the radar in most parts of the country for over a century.

KU fans better get out the vote though, because typically football rules, and pro sports typically take a front seat with fans in the espy voting.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 9 months ago

I like the Norfolk State vs Missery game as another that should be mentioned as "Game of the Year" :)

STLJayhawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

well living in STL and being a die hard cardinals fan, I hope game 6 wins and it probably will. but this game was awesome too!