Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Former Jayhawk Jeremy Case named assistant at Houston Baptist

Jeremy Case delivers his senior speech in this March 2008 file photo.

Jeremy Case delivers his senior speech in this March 2008 file photo.

Former Kansas guard Jeremy Case has accepted an assistant coaching position with Houston Baptist.

Case spent the last three years as an assistant coach at Southeast Missouri State but was not retained by Redhawks’ coach Dickey Nutt after the season.

“We’re excited to have Jeremy join our staff,” Houston Baptist coach Ron Cottrell said. “He brings an excitement for the game of basketball to our program as well as a knowledge of the game from playing at a high level and previously serving on a Div. I coaching staff.”

Houston Baptist is a Div. I school in the Great West Conference — a league that does not have an automatic berth to the NCAA Tournament. The Huskies finished 10-20 last year with a 3-7 record in the GWC.

Case played in 94 games for KU from 2004-08 and also was a member of the Jayhawks’ 2008 national championship team.

The next year, Case spent one season as a graduate assistant on coach Bill Self’s staff.

“The fact that he’s recruited in different parts of the country broadens our recruiting base even more than it already is,” Cottrell said, “and I know he’s anxious to get out on the road in July to help us bring in a terrific class for the 2013 year.”

Case graduated from KU with a degree in communications in 2007.

Comments

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 8 months ago

Dickey Nutt's parents are lucky to be older. Today, social services would have taken the kids claiming the parents were not fit to be guardians.

Marcia Parsons 6 years, 8 months ago

Sometimes parents seem to be totally out of it when naming a child. Around here we used to have a family named Butts, and yes, they named their daughter Fannie.

Marcia Parsons 6 years, 8 months ago

Every time I read Kansas University I picture the writer laughing and thinking of you.

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Am I doing something wrong?

I tried to "thumb up" your comment and it wanted me to sign in, even though I'm already signed in.

Anyway - I agree with your comment and enjoyed it !

Mike Hart 6 years, 8 months ago

This whole article. Who cares? Jeremy Case? He might as well have been a walk-on for how insignificant a ballplayer he was at KU. He was less than advertised. Now he's an assistant at Houston Baptist and this is the daily headline? Quiet news day apparently...

Steve Kubler 6 years, 8 months ago

He was a KU ballplayer and always will be known as such. He stuck it out 4 years, graduated, and no doubt helped the team, if not as a rotation player. Keeping tabs on former players, particularly those who stay in the game is worth the time. I guess I am saying that I care and I'm betting many others do as well.

theend 6 years, 8 months ago

Shut up, mhart. Any KU ball player is newsworthy. Unlike you.

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 8 months ago

This is Kansas men's basketball. Jeremy Case played four years +1 redshirt season at Kansas. Pretty sure that quite a few people care and think it's newsworthy.

Jeff Coffman 6 years, 8 months ago

Couple of guesses: 1) Too much Kansas Blood in his system 2) Made one too many jokes about the Coach's first name or was it his last name. 3) Finished 15-16 last year in 4th place in their conference.

Coach had to make changes and letting someone go that didn't have a contract was easy.

Greg Ledom 6 years, 8 months ago

In relation to the Coach's name, here is one of my all time favorite bumper stickers. Too many Dick's, not enough Richard's.

texashawk10 6 years, 8 months ago

Looks like I might have to go a Huskie's games next season.

jaybate 6 years, 8 months ago

Dickey Nutt did Jeremy Case a favor.

Succeed upwards.

Fail upwards.

But move upwards.

jaybate 6 years, 8 months ago

P.S.: Imagine how much more valuable to a staff Jeremy Case will be after recruiting Texas and elsewhere, instead of recruiting Fizzouri and elsewhere. He will be on a good mid major staff in four seasons. He will be on a major staff in 8.

P.P.S.: Was it the old KU center Dave Nash from the 60s-70s that transferred to KU from Houston Baptist?