Monday, June 25, 2012

Time to pick teams for an all-Jayhawks game of H-O-R-S-E

Writers ponder 'best' opponents in latest installment of summer series

For the second installment in a summer series, Journal-World sports staffers picked their ideal opponents — all figures from Kansas basketball history — for a hypothetical game of H-O-R-S-E. Some of the Jayhawks chosen included Wilt Chamberlain, Scot Pollard, Sasha Kaun, Drew Gooden, James Naismith, Markieff Morris, Lynette Woodard, Joe Dooley and Greg Ostertag.

It’s one of the oldest and easiest games of basketball known to man and also the setting for Part II of our summer series of fun and memorable questions that cover some of the biggest and best names in Kansas University sports history.

Horse, also known as H-O-R-S-E, includes just a couple of basic rules and is about as cut and dry as games come. Miss a shot, get a letter. First one to log all five letters of the word is out until there’s just one player left standing.

In this proverbial game of H-O-R-S-E, our panelists employ a variety of angles in coming up with the list of four people from KU basketball history that they’d invite to a game. Some, like Tom Keegan and Matt Tait, picked guys they thought they would have a chance to compete against. Others, like Gary Bedore and Jesse Newell went with the good-guy vibe and picked people they would enjoy being around. And, finally, Andrew Hartsock went with a combo of the two schools of thought.

Either way, all five lists bring a different flavor to the question, and since it’s all fictional anyway, we’ll never know which guys would actually have a shot to win their games. Then again, maybe we already know that answer.

Anyway, on with this week’s lists:

Matt Tait

Markieff Morris — Markieff’s a good shooter, but I think he thinks he’s a great shooter. As long as there’s no dunking allowed, that could keep me in it.

Kenny Gregory — KG was a lights-out shooter in high school but never showed that while at KU. He’s one of my all-time favorite Jayhawks so rooting against him will be weird, but I’m hoping for one of those cold streaks.

Brett Ballard — One of the new assistant coaches at Tulsa and I have been pretty good friends for a while now, so I’ll toss him into the competition in hopes that all of the ridiculous inside jokes I can throw at him might make it hard for him to focus.

Joe Dooley — They call him the Shot Doctor and I’d love to see him in action.

Andrew Hartsock

Dr. James Naismith — But only if we could use peach baskets.

Wilt Chamberlain — Surely Chamberlain, a notoriously bad free-throw shooter, would S-U-C-K at H-O-R-S-E, too, right?

Max Falkenstien — I’ve seen the man play handball, and let me assure you, dude can ball. But I might — MIGHT — be able to take him at H-O-R-S-E.

Lynette Woodard — Woodard scored 3,749 points in her four-year career and would so totally kick my butt in H-O-R-S-E, but darned if Woodard, one of the best women’s players ever, isn’t also one of the nicest people on the planet. Maybe she’d take pity on me.

Tom Keegan

David Johanning — Sandbar proprietor whose claim to fame is being KU’s all-time leader in blocked shots per minutes played also claims that his shooting range did not extend beyond dunking. Since dunks aren’t allowed in H-O-R-S-E, here’s one guy who won’t win the game.

Sasha Kaun — A terrific defender, Kaun’s another guy who had limited shooting range, which makes him ill-suited for the rules of this game.

Dean Smith — A far better coach than he was a player, Smith would have the need to coach someone to victory and I would try to position myself to be that guy.

Wilt Chamberlain — Just the chance to meet him makes him an easy choice and there’s always a shot he could pile up letters at and around the free-throw line. The gentle giant qualifies as one of the greatest athletes of all-time.

Jesse Newell

Paul Pierce — “The Truth” is invited simply because I think he would dominate the game with his shooting ability.

Wilt Chamberlain — He would be fun to watch while doing any basketball activity, and I can imagine he would be the trick-shot king.

Rex Walters — He was one of my favorite players to watch growing up, and I’m sure he could still fill it up in this setting.

Billy Thomas — A three-point contest between him and Walters would be a treat after I was quickly eliminated from the game.

Gary Bedore

Drew Gooden — He’d probably have me laughing the whole time. Funny guy.

Greg Dreiling — See Drew Gooden explanation.

Scot Pollard — See Gooden, Dreiling explanations.

Greg Ostertag — See Gooden, Dreiling, Pollard explanations.

Comments

Eric TheCapn 6 years, 10 months ago

Are you really sure it's time to pick teams for an all-Jayhawks game of H-O-R-S-E?

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 10 months ago

To give even the semblance of concern, isn't it time to pick teams for an all-Jayhawks game of F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L?

ahpersecoachingexperience 6 years, 10 months ago

Terry Brown - come on, you know you still imitate his shot when your in the driveway. He could give you some tips on how to shoot like him.

Larry Brown - (no relation to Terry) coed stories.

Lester Earl - he has to bring his boy Master P

Bob and Max - I see them as one person and they do the play by play.

njayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

+1, Dat funny. Of course ahperse is hoisting up those bricks on his multi-colored driveway chalked logo of Kansas Univ.

KStoCAHippie 6 years, 10 months ago

Wow, a game of fantasy All-Star Jayhawk H-O-R-S-E... you guys are kind of bored in the off season, huh?

actorman 6 years, 10 months ago

I'd just like to have another chance to watch the greatest outside shooters of my llifetime:

Calvin Thompson Booty Neal Jeff Gueldner Kirk Hinrich

actorman 6 years, 10 months ago

Hello? I had them under each other, not all in one line like a run-on sentence. Guess it's a glitch in the new site, huh?

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Time to pick teams for an all - LJW game of B O R E D.

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 10 months ago

B - Billy Smith

O - Ostertag

R - Ryan Robertson

E - Everybody named Jeff Boschee

D - Danny Manning

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Very clever memhawk.

And THANK YOU for mentioning Jeff Boschee. Can't believe nobody else has mentioned him.

texashawk10 6 years, 10 months ago

If you're trying to win a game of horse, is Boschee really someone you want to be competing against?

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

'Others, like Gary Bedore and Jesse Newell went with the good-guy vibe and picked people they would enjoy being around."

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 10 months ago

LJW Staff Team:

Jesse-the practical shot selector

Matt-the wirey, overacheiver

Tom-just wants what's in it for himself.

Gary-doesn't take himself too seriously.

Nick-would always want the best angle.

(Just my personal perceptions based on limited, or no, research)

jhox 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm with Pbbut, Kellogg was the first to come to mind, but I suspect Pierce could take him. If it was just a three point contest, Terry Brown, but horse requires the ability to knock it down from anywhere, and a few trick shots as well.

My money would ultimately be on Pierce. Definitely the best pure shooter Ive seen in nearly 40 years of watching KU basketball. A guy who could knock it down from anywhere on the floor.

mikehawk 6 years, 10 months ago

The way to beat people in HORSE is the short to medium range jump shots. No one practices them any more. I'll go with Danny Manning versus Wayne Semien for that type of game that could go on for quite awhile. For another type of very long game of HORSE, I'll go with Darnell Valentine versus Aaron Miles.

REHawk 6 years, 10 months ago

I am not certain of my lineup for the game, but Pierce and Kellogg would be a must through H-O-R-S. For that final E I will go with Super Mario.

VaJay 6 years, 10 months ago

Ron Kellogg (who would win) Terry Brown Rex Walters Paul Pierce

Jeeveshawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Pierce would win, he has really developed his shot in the NBA

kevinatc 6 years, 10 months ago

I know sports is slow right now but this could be one of the dumbest topics that I have seen on this website. What the hell is the point other than a waste of time.

RJ King 6 years, 10 months ago

So don't come here then. Or, scan the headlines with disdain, and then go back to gleefully solving the economic crisis or finding world peace.

kevinatc 6 years, 10 months ago

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Please don't forget we need to come up with a quick solution to this zombie apocalypse.....

RJ King 6 years, 10 months ago

So cursing and name calling of fellow Jayhawks IS productive??? Man, this family squabbling reminds me of bored children home for the summer.

RJ King 6 years, 10 months ago

For the record, this was a response to kevinatc's first post where he/she called me a "Jerk." (now edited to: "What's your problem." - apparently a statement, not a question.)

kevinatc 6 years, 10 months ago

I realized when I did it that it was wrong that is why 20 second later I changed it, but for you to know this and edit it you are wrong for posting this last comment. There was nothing wrong with the post after I edited it and you remove it. Must have struck a nerve somewhere!

Vernon Riggs 6 years, 10 months ago

Luke Axtell, Dave Magley, Steve Woodberry, and Cal Thompson

David Serven 6 years, 10 months ago

For all you old foggies don't forget Jo Jo White. Mr. smoooooth...

ccarp 6 years, 10 months ago

Billy Thomas Terry Brown Jeff Gueldner Mario Chalmers JR Giddens - head case, but he had some range. Don't tell me he didn't excite you when he tied the elite 8 match with GT.

Btw, could the development team please make the copyright in the footer of the mobile site a link to the full site? The pseudo-app UI really limits the ability to see what is available. Or you could either do away with the mobile site all together or change it so we can see the titles for ALL KU sports articles on the front page. Would be nice if we could see pictures too.

I only ask b/c this is the first thing I read every morning. Thanks! :-)

KemDooKU 6 years, 10 months ago

Marcia Parsons 6 years, 10 months ago

Maybe only for you. A lot of people seemed glad to do some reminiscing about the great players from the past.

RJ King 6 years, 10 months ago

"there should be a disclaimer before some of these . . . "

Dude. It's called a HEADLINE. Read it.

Hurry now, go wash your hands before your life is contaminated by more nonsense, of all things.

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

"I am trying to be positive"

Congratulations!

Just out of curiosity, what would you have written if you weren't so positive ?

Rian Ankerholz 6 years, 10 months ago

How can so many people gripe about an article what is, at worst, a voluntary waste of time? Not just you, KemDooKU. It is summertime, guys; there is not much going on in the KU sporting world. I'm old, and I don't mind spending a few minutes (voluntarily) thinking about some of the old sure-shots. The gripes don't improve the article, either. I hope the article doesn't blight your whole week. By the way, you gotta put Hinrich on the list. Captain Kirk was a true gym rat. He would always find a way to beat you. Rock Chalk.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 10 months ago

1] Trigger 2] Scout 3] Fury 4] Flicka 5] Silver

If you're gonna play horse...then let's play HORSE!!!!!!!!!!!

Other lists we can name: Five fastest people to eat a banana [Phoebe Catea wins this, hands down!!] Five most ridiculous articles the LJW can dream up.[ I guess we already know one of them] Five honest politicians [anywhere, any country, any time in history ...I know, I couldn't either]

Tony Bandle 6 years, 10 months ago

Would someone at the LJW PLEASE answer and explain to me why the "edit" mode has been removed from this site??????????????

Rian Ankerholz 6 years, 10 months ago

I flagged my own comment. That seems to work.

notjustbread 6 years, 10 months ago

Wayne S. for anyting inside 15, Boshee for everything outside 20 ft, Ryan Robertson, Pierce, and Bill Self (heard he can make 40 straight free throws)

Adam Collins 6 years, 10 months ago

Not sure if I would take Robinson or Releford after remembering this gem:

Adam Collins 6 years, 10 months ago

Links to YouTube videos are working as well :-)

Robert Brown 6 years, 10 months ago

Let get someone from different eras: Owens era: JoJo White Was his foot on the line against Texas Western? Brown era: Ron Kellogg- I still think KU could have won the NCAA championship in 1986 if there was a three point line. Williams era: Tough to pick between Jeff Boschee, Terry Brown, Ryan Robertson, Billy Thomas. I will go with Boschee. Self era: Has to be Mario Chalmers.

actorman 6 years, 10 months ago

I loved Kellogg, but I have always maintained that Calvin Thompson was more consistent. If we were picking one player from the Brown era, I would go with CT. (And I totally agree with you about '86. Such a shame that they started the three-point line one year too late.)

But actually, if you go purely by stats from one year, I think Jeff Gueldner blows everyone away.

Bville Hawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Brock Berglund - just to see if he would show up.

Calijhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Jo Jo White, in his prime. I think when I was a kid, he won the NBA HORSE competition they played during the halftime of NBA games, and was a finalist in the 1-on-1 competition. He was smooth, and his stand-and-shoot range went out to 35 feet. You'll have to press him a little bit, but if you want stories, he can give them to you.

Gregor Southard 6 years, 10 months ago

I'll take the starting line up for the 85-86 team. They would have been National Champions if the 3 point play was in existence that year. Maybe, undefeated NCs.

Steve Gantz 6 years, 10 months ago

To pick opponents for me: Lester Earl: No one knows what he could do since we never really saw him play. TRob- Never saw such a talented player miss so many bunnies. Wilt-Same reason as many have given. Tyshawn, he'd break the rules Archie Marshall- We used to yell from the rafters 'don't shoot it Archie' as he'd hoist up another brick. Downtown Terry Brown- just because it'd be fun to see him shoot again. The Freshman Morrises- Fumbled the ball before they could even shoot it!

ahpersecoachingexperience 6 years, 10 months ago

Would love to respond to the "you're" comments above but I can't because I'm on my phone. Thanks to the new ljw mobile version my iphone is now the equilivant to that of a $10 prepaid trac phone sold exclusively at Walgreens!

Brendan Connolly 6 years, 10 months ago

I would have to include Pierce, JoJo White, Ron Kellogg, Kirk and I will throw in the Jayhawk I am most excited to see in near future.....Conner Frankamp. If it comes down to free throws or threes, I got Conner winning easy.

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 10 months ago

That #13 is quite the basketball player. If he had only been a better free throw shooter, he might have been as good as maybe Anthony Davis.

jayhawkintexas 6 years, 10 months ago

Pierce, Jo Jo, Tom Kivisto, Roger Morningstar and Dale Greenlee. Greenlee especially could knock it down from long range.

dw3c 6 years, 10 months ago

1. TJ Whatley
  2. TJ Whatley's mustache 3 & 4 are irrelevant. That's my team and I welcome any challengers...

Scott MacWilliams 6 years, 10 months ago

Whoa, nuleafjhawk!!

You said something about zombie apocalypse??? And a HORSE?!?

okay, that's it!!

AND Now: The Jayhawk Zombie All-Star dead HORSE team!! (Meaning: who will still be hitting shots when they're pasty gray, skin falling off in slabs, and making hacking gurgle sounds???)

I'm going with Pierce, Pollard, Simien, White and Chamberlain!!

Boo Ya!!

Gil Ek 6 years, 10 months ago

When Wilt scored 100 points in the NBA game , he was 28/32 from the FT line.

DENDK24 6 years, 10 months ago

If fade aways from the baseline were only allowed then its gotta be Raef...

HawkKlaw 6 years, 10 months ago

I would not want to play against Mario Chalmers, Paul Pierce, Danny Manning, or Kirk Hinrich. Talk about getting schooled!