Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Incoming guard Doyle hoping to live up to legacy of Chicago Jayhawks

Kansas University newcomer Milton Doyle works out with the Jayhawks for the first time during Bill Self's basketball camp on Monday, June 18, 2012, at the Horejsi Center.

The city of Chicago has been kind to Kansas University’s basketball program during the Bill Self era.

“I know Sherron (Collins) from being back home and Mario (Little) from here and some other guys (Julian Wright, Jamari Traylor),” said Milton Doyle, a 6-foot-4, 175-pound guard from Marshall High — the latest Windy City native to play for Self’s Jayhawks.

He spoke to the media on Tuesday in Allen Fieldhouse on his second full day on campus.

“I’ll try to follow in their footsteps and play like they do,” Doyle said.

Doyle — he’s never played against KU red-shirt freshman Traylor of Chicago’s Julian High — initially was committed to Florida International, a team coached by Chicago native Isiah Thomas.

Doyle decommitted after Thomas’ firing in April.

“Basically I was sold before I came, knowing the history of Kansas,” said Doyle, who visited KU in mid-May. “Finally being here, I was able to put it together. It was a hard decision ... but it’s Kansas.”

Doyle, who still needs to have a couple of online courses approved by the NCAA Clearinghouse before he’s free to play at KU, also had Marquette on his revised list, but never visited the Milwaukee school.

“It feels good to be here, to finally work out and be around the team, be around the guys,” said Doyle, who will wear his high school jersey number — 25 — at KU. “They welcomed me in like I was already part of the team from the beginning.”

KU coach Bill Self said Tuesday that Doyle, who averaged 19.0 points, 7.0 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 5.0 steals per game his senior season at Marshall, figures to play both point and shooting guard.

“I think there’s a difference in being a point guard and being able to play some point,” Self said. “He’s a guy who definitely can play some point, no question. The way we play, whoever gets it brings it. Tyshawn (Taylor) wasn’t a true point at least the way we played. Elijah (Johnson) is not a true point. We’ve got a lot of combo guards. He’ll be one of those combo guards.

“He’s a good athlete, has great length. He has to get stronger, which is natural for all freshmen. He probably has to get where his stroke is a little more consistent. We have minutes to be earned back there from a depth standpoint. He should provide us extra depth, no question.”

Of his role, Doyle said: “Combo guard that can play any spot, who is able to go out there and play whatever the coach tells me to play ... a good defender, all around player.”

Doyle — who once was a Duke fan, but switched allegiances to KU about the time the Jayhawks won the national title with Collins playing a major role in 2008 — has played point guard pretty much all his life. He credited his mom, Lisa, a former Mississippi Valley State player, for “putting me in the gym ... it was out of her job because she works for the park district, so I was always in the gym.”

photo

Kansas University senior forward Kevin Young is back on campus after trying out for the Puerto Rico Senior National Team earlier this month.

Young happy to be home: KU senior forward Kevin Young said he enjoyed competing with the likes of J.J. Barea (Minnesota, NBA), Shabazz Napier (UConn), Mike Rosario (Florida) and Renaldo Balkman (South Carolina) at the recent Puerto Rico national team tryouts.

“It was fun. I learned a lot. I think I grew a lot as a player, too,” said Young, who was one of 12 players asked to play in a tournament this week in Puerto Rico, but was told he would be bumped from the Olympic team once several Puerto Rican pro players reported to camp.

“I worked on my shot, my handles a bit. Hopefully I’ll show a little bit of improvement when I get back in the gym, today,” Young added.

Young said he will try to make the Olympic team in 2016. “I’ll go back next year for the world championships,” he said. “I really didn’t get an answer what I need to improve on, the reason I was cut, what I didn’t do right. Hopefully I can change it next time I go down there.”

KU coach Self said he heard Young played well at tryouts. “The last game he plays five minutes, gets eight points, four rebounds, is 2-2 from three which I was kind of excited to hear about. Kevin will have a good year this year because he’s going to be a lot more comfortable,” Self said.

Frankamp on U17 team: Future KU guard Conner Frankamp of Wichita North survived final cuts and is a member of the 12-man, USA Basketball Under-17 men’s world championship team. He will compete in the 2012 FIBA U17 World Championships June 29-July 8 in Kaunas, Lithuania.

Comments

Jeeveshawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Of all the Chicago natives Doyle could be compared to, Mario Little is likely his ceiling. He most likely will never be a starter, but he may be a sixth or seventh man later in his career.

Jeremy Caudle 1 year, 10 months ago

Young will be starting at the four at the beginning of the year. CS won't let us lose too many early games due to the problems all of these freshman will encounter. Having McLemore starting is probably a given.
Given what I have seen from the guys coming back from last year, and how last year played out with those guys, I am going to predict this as our starting lineup and depth at each position.

1 - Johnson - Tharpe 2 - McLemore - White/Doyle 3 - Releford - White/ Doyle 4 - Young - Ellis 5 - Withey - Lucas

I think Traylor and Peters will see limited playing time but could very well work their way into the rotation but doubtful. Wesley as well but we have seen just about everything he can offer at this point on the court. As the season goes on CS will figure out who plays the best with each other in certain scenarios and such. I would bank on seeing this lineup however with our starters seeing quite a few minutes...hope that knee is feeling strong EJ cause we are gonna need it to hold up.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Jaydogger

Self and Perry and Perry's HS coach started the rumor during Perry's recruitment.

Why do you suppose they did that, if Perry were going to just be a 4?

I have been curiouser and curiouser. :-)

Counting KY, Perry, Jamari, Justin, Jeff, Zach, and Landon, Self has 7 bigs!

Self never uses more than 3-4 bigs.

His best recruit and best returning 4 can swing 3 and 4. Why in the world wouldn't he swing them, when he has 7 bigs to play?

Heck, he could play them at the three full time, red shirt another big, and still have 4 bigs!

Work with me on this. :-)

EJ, BenMac, Travis are locks, when healthy. But who would make us stronger subbing at the 3? White, Milton, Naadir, or Perry? :-)

Perry.

And who would make us stronger backing at the 2? White, Milton, or Naadir?

White.

And that leaves Milton and Naadir in a dogfight for backup minutes at the 1.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 10 months ago

Doyle looked good in the camp game. BMac leads, but Doyle had plenty of highlights.

Turns out this Doyle kid might just be that diamond in the rough after all. Maybe not the next MJ, but a solid Jeff Hawkins or Tyrel. I'd take that any day.

Chris Bruning 1 year, 10 months ago

Milton Doyle- Been on campus two days, out of the several pics ive seen its been nothing but business and game face. Like this kid!!! Rock Chalk MD

ku_foaf 1 year, 10 months ago

Kevin Young has become a favorite player. I like the way he does things and he got better through the whole season.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 10 months ago

You remember that time that mizzou left the big 12 and the conference wound up stronger than ever?

Looks like the Irish are eyeing the big 12 just like FSU.

Sally Presson 1 year, 10 months ago

Cringe??!!! Heck yes, I cringed when I read NCAA Clearing House. There's something wrong with the NCAA, could it be they have way too many MU people on the board of ax choppers? It's always good to have one of our recruits excited about coming to KU. They will never regret their decision. Best place on earth to play basketball, we love our Hawks!!!

chi_town24 1 year, 10 months ago

Lol at the nicknames. I kinda like "doc" bcuz of his initials but his nickname is silk bcuz of his smooth and natural game but don't if u guys would like it

KemDooKU 1 year, 10 months ago

Oops I left out Tharpe - sorry Tharpe I did not mean to leave you out. I count 14 with Tharpe.

tom123kufan 1 year, 10 months ago

Off the subject, but did anyone else notice Dwayne Wade cussing on live TV last night as he walked into the locker room? He was saying F'ing Mario Chalmers over and over again, of course to pay heed to Chalmers good game. None the less I was surprised it happend and couldn't he see the camera right in front of him? Any one else see this?

Chris1955 1 year, 10 months ago

I can't believe anyone hasn't come up with "Popeye" Doyle. At least, I think that was the name of the Gene Hackman character in the French Connection. I seem to remember his charater being a serious bad-ass.

HAWKS1 1 year, 10 months ago

Since he is such a mystery to us all, how about "Sir Arthur Conan" Doyle? Or just "Sir Doyle"? Welcome aboard Milton!

wrwlumpy 1 year, 10 months ago

If Adams isn't on the team and Tharpe hasn't yet learned which color to throw the ball to, then this is EJ's backup.

jmsuther 1 year, 10 months ago

Im guessing Doyle wont red shirt this year, will avg 3 min per game and transfers next summer.

KemDooKU 1 year, 10 months ago

Young, Doyle, Withey, Travis, B-Mac, Wesley, Peters, Lucas, Ellis,Johnson, White, Traylor, and possible Adams - how long has it been since these young guys road the bench during basketball season..... Ugh Never. Let's see how mentally tough these young guys are because the bench will always be warm with the amont of depth we have. But look on the bright side younglings - you get to sit court side and watch big boy basketball for free and throw in a full ride which saves your parents hundreds of thousands- livin the dream!!!

Phoghorn 1 year, 10 months ago

Chicago Jayhawks? Is that the Windy City's new Soccer Team? How cool!

William Blake 1 year, 10 months ago

The big question is:

KY: You going to "tow the fro" this year?

I like KY with a fro....

Let's get a vote -

VOTE HERE:

Pro Fro or No Fro

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Bill Self is doing a marvelous job without annual stables full of 4 and 5 star horses. I really like the way he fills slots on his teams and on his staff. Thank the hoops gods that he bit the bullet to take Lew's advice on Andrea Hudy. We really have something great going with Jayhawk Basketball.

JayDocMD 1 year, 10 months ago

It's all Doyle all the time here at the LJW.

Not sure Xavier and Selby got this much play when they arrived. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have the good doctor on board (M.D.) And I know its a slow news time, but lets get some fresh subject matter. How about another one of those Keegan statistics articles that are so popular?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

I posted this thought yesterday, but take a look at this kid. Look at his expression and check out the videos.

Does he look like an end of the bench "garbage time" player? I think hardly...in fact I think we may have uncovered a gem.

Milt...you do need a nickname and this site is the place to come.

My first shot, Milt "The Coil" Doyle. Fellow posters...work your magic!!

tis4tim 1 year, 10 months ago

Taking jersey #25 is a bold choice if you're lacing it up at KU, regardless if it was your high school number or not.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I've not seen M.D. (Doc ??) play, but I like the way he thinks!

Jim Jackson 1 year, 10 months ago

Glad to have Milton on the team. I'm from Chicago and anyone who was first team all public league and 2nd team all state in IL can flat out play.

Do we know anything concrete about Anrio Adams? I read that he will be on campus in a couple weeks but do we have anything concrete?

jhox 1 year, 10 months ago

No surprise at all on Frankamp. He's been tearing it up on the AAU circuit already this year, and turning a lot of heads. I'm glad our coaching staff spotted him and got his committment early. I hope we're going all out to get Semi, as well. We were a little late to the game on that one, so it may be an up hill battle.

I heard junior to be, Tyrone Taylor, a point guard out of Grandview scored in the upper 30's in a game last weekend. I've seen him play three or four times, and he's not even a score first kind of point guard. He's a kid who takes what comes to him, and he's also a kid who has a solid outside shot. I hope our coaches get out and watch him next month. He's long and quick, and looks like a kid who could grow to 6'4" or 6'5", and he's a natural point guard, not just a guy who can play the point.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 10 months ago

"He will compete in the 2012 FIBA U17 World Championships June 29-July 8 in Kaunas, Lithuania" . Frankamp.

Kaunas...similarities in spelling to Kansas. Maybe in Lithuanian it is the same as Kansas. You never know!

april28 1 year, 10 months ago

There's no way Frankencamp makes Team USA with his Rivals ranking. Must be a mistake, right?

I forgot for a moment how much I like Kevin. The guy just exudes positivity.

This is going to be a fun team to watch and an easy team to cheer for. I may need a program for a few weeks to keep track of who's who but it should be a really exciting season.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 10 months ago

Frankamp also has game...he just is a scoring beast.

Doyle is the steal of the recruiting season. Remember Isahiah was a poor executive, decent coach, great talent scout.

mojayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Google some youtube of Milton. He's got game. Welcome, Milton!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Doyle: Happy he is a Jayhawk. Man, I always want the athletes who want us. They are already sold. Combo guard. Self's Chicago connections paying off, as the Chicago area coaches have known him & liked him since 2000 when at Illini. It also helps the way he looked after Mario Little. See, Milt, even past his own merits, is now a connection to the next Chicago kid (whoever that may be, whenever that is).

KYoung: Gro da fro, bro! The smile & the fro, plus the hard hustle will make KYoung the slickest, coolest college player next season.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 10 months ago

"approved by NCAA clearinghouse" made me think he gets to become buddies wit Hudy.

The picture seems to indicate he has the frame to build on.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 10 months ago

I think it's cool that Doyle's (and Chi_town's) mom played hoops at Mississippi Valley St. -- Jerry Rice played football there, for what it's worth.

Well done, Kevin Young. I guess the conciliation prize is going to Europe and playing in/against Switzerland and France. I think this will help this year's team and the eight rookies immensely.

RCJH

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 10 months ago

Any one else cringe when they read "...approved by NCAA clearinghouse..."?

1stnamemistermiddlenameperiod 1 year, 10 months ago

I love it that Doyle WANTS to be here. Story has it that Julian Wright also made up his mind before he visted campus as well. Self dropped in for an in-home and JuJu made up his mind on the spot.