Originally published June 19, 2012 at 03:19p.m., updated June 20, 2012 at 12:51a.m.

KU men’s basketball team records 6th straight perfect APR score

From left, KU basketball senior Jordan Juenemann, coach Bill Self, and players Tyshawn Taylor and Conner Teahan gather for a photograph before Sunday's KU commencement at Memorial Stadium.

The Kansas University men’s basketball team may be riding an unprecedented streak of eight straight Big 12 Conference championships, but that’s not the only streak that has school officials smiling.

Tuesday morning, KU released the results of the most recent Academic Progress Rate numbers from the 2010-11 academic year, and they revealed that head coach Bill Self’s squad had delivered a perfect APR score of 1,000 for the sixth straight year. What’s more, Self later in the day said he expected the 2011-12 APR score to again come in at a perfect 1,000.

In all, KU’s athletic department has two programs (men’s hoops and women’s cross country) with perfect multi-year APR scores (from 2007-08 through 2010-11) and five (men’s hoops, women’s cross country, women’s golf, women’s tennis and volleyball) that recorded the 1,000-point mark during 2010-11.

In addition, all 18 KU athletic programs scored well above the 925 mark that the NCAA considers to be the cut-off point for good academic standing. That number will be elevated to 930 for the 2012-13 academic year, signifying an even greater emphasis by the NCAA on academic performance.

According to Paul Buskirk, KU’s associate athletic director for student-athlete support, every scholarship athlete in each program can earn two points per semester, one for retention and one for eligibility. Although Buskirk said all of KU’s coaches treat the issue very seriously, he praised Bill Self for making academics a priority for his highly successful hoops team.

“That’s where coach Self has been absolutely amazing in his expectations for the kids,” Buskirk said. “He lays it out very clearly as to what has to happen.”

“There are three (instances in which) a student can leave the institution and the institution would not be penalized for that departure,” he said. “Number 1 is if you transfer to another four-year institution and, when you do, you have a 2.6 GPA. Number 2 is if there’s a documented medical (or) family reason. And then the big one is if a student leaves for a professional sports opportunity.”

In all three instances, the institution is not penalized as long the student-athlete in question would have been eligible had he or she stayed for the next semester.

Asked how Robinson, who is expected to be a top five pick in next week’s NBA Draft, did in that department, Buskirk sat back and smiled.

“I can say generally that Thomas has taken care of business very nicely,” he said.

Self said that he flat-out tells his NBA prospects they better take care of academics ... or else.

“I make a deal with all my guys. It sounds pretty mean to say. We talk about it every first practice: ‘If you leave out of here and in any way, shape or form put us in position to lose a scholarship, then you’ll never be invited back (to KU), ever,’” Self said “At least as long as I’m here. If you don’t care enough about yourself you certainly don’t care enough about the place that has been good to you, then you shouldn’t come back. A lot of schools it’s a problem because kids don’t love the school so much. Here they love the school so much, the place has been so good to them, they have an obligation to do that. That’s why we have 1,000 APR. Those kids that leave know they’ve got to finish before they leave. I’d let everybody know (if a player didn’t finish),” Self added forcefully. “Thomas and those guys handled their stuff. Marcus, Markieff (Morris), Josh (Selby) Xavier (Henry), Cole (Aldrich) ... they all took care of business before the draft.”

As for the school’s other high-profile sport ...

Even though former football coach Turner Gill was fired last November and new coach Charlie Weis cleaned house in terms of players who did not meet his academic standards, it will not be known for another year how Gill’s departure might affect the football program’s APR number.

“Save that question for when we’re sitting here a year from now,” associate AD Jim Marchiony said.

As it stands today, KU football’s multi-year APR score of 971 ranks in the middle of the pack within the department, and its 2010-11 score of 994, which covers Gill’s first year in Lawrence, seems to indicate the football program was in good shape even before Weis came in and raised the bar.

Although both universities and individual coaches are given APR scores, Buskirk said the dismissal of Gill would have no impact on KU’s scores today or in the future.

KU’s multi-year APR numbers by program

• 2010-11 APR number follows in italics

Women’s Soccer — 979, 972

Women’s Swimming — 971, 982

Women’s Tennis — 986, 1,000

Women’s Track, Indoor — 963, 961

Women’s Track, Outdoor — 964, 962

Volleyball — 965, 1,000

Comments

bville_hawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Nothing but good news here...

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Pabst Blue Ribbon ranks somewhere between pond scum and horse piss for taste value. No offense to you.bville_hawk...your avatar is a cool logo!! :)

bville_hawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Aw, come one. PBR is enjoying somewhat of a Renaissance among the college age crowd. To your point, though, I have never drunk pond scum or horse piss so I can't argue with your opinion.

Rian Ankerholz 2 years, 1 month ago

Nice. I applaud the retort; just the way sensible, yet witty Jayhawks should interact. Your reply, like the beer, was pithy, (pun intended).

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Well stated..since I think all beer tastes like pond scum, I retract my post...but it is a cool logo.

sportjunky 2 years, 1 month ago

In my defense, this information was added AFTER I posted this question. I originally submitted this post a few minutes after the original press release.

Yes, the article does a very good job of answering my question-- and that information was NOT in the article when I posted this.

sportjunky 2 years, 1 month ago

How does the APR account for 1-and-done students like Henry and Selby? What about the Morris twins and Thomas Robinson who left a year early? You would think that a program like Kentucky would eventually get creamed by all of this and they would lose so many scholarships that they wouldn't have a team. How do they get around this? They graduate maybe one or two players a year-- at the very, very most (if they can even count walkons for these stats). When all 5 starters declare for the draft (as happened at Kentucky in the recent past), how do they get around the APR stuff?

riverdrifter 2 years, 1 month ago

Since you obviously didn't bother to read the article:

Sean Doherty 2 years, 1 month ago

Dude, don't help someone who has the audacity to ask questions which were clearly answered in the text. Its obvious he can read because he can write. You're only acting as an enabler. Enabling this person to be conditioned to take the easy route. Why don't you just give him meth and a pistol? J/K on that last bit. But seriously. Next time give him bogus answers. That will do him better in the future than giving up the information.

riverdrifter 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for your interest. I'm thinking he has MU fan intellect and I always try to help them along.

sportjunky 2 years, 1 month ago

sportjunky 2 years, 1 month ago

sportjunky 2 years, 1 month ago

LAJayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Hilarious. Not only did the article cover this in great detail, but they also answered those question by posing the ACTUAL questions you asked in the piece:

"The obvious question here is why don’t the early departures of guys like Thomas Robinson, Josh Selby and Xavier Henry hurt the Jayhawks’ APR number? The answer is simple, Buskirk said. ..."

Seriously hilarious.

sportjunky 2 years, 1 month ago

sportjunky 2 years, 1 month ago

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh man...sportjunky just made my day.....I laughed my ass off!! Thanks..I needed that!!

sportjunky 2 years, 1 month ago

sportjunky 2 years, 1 month ago

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 1 month ago

Kentucky must be near perfect since most of their players leave for the NBA each year. This would leave the bench guys who usually are the ones with the better grades anyway. I bet we still beat them with our 1000 score!

tical523 2 years, 1 month ago

funny, any you are probably right. LOL

phoggedin 2 years, 1 month ago

This is extremely impressed. Well done, Coach Self!

phoggedin 2 years, 1 month ago

Oops, I meant impressive. With errors like that, I probably wouldn't cut it on the basketball team.

Ben Kane 2 years, 1 month ago

gotta love title IX... 11 women sports to 7 men. I'm not against equality but it seems to me (and this is true everywhere) that unless a guy plays football, basketball, or baseball you aren't likely to find an opportunity to compete at the college level in your sport while we bend over backwards to provide every sport imaginable to women. at ku if you aren't in the big 3 sports, track or golf you're done. volleyball, tennis, swimming, lacrosse, soccer are just a few of the sports you can't play here.

Ben Kane 2 years, 1 month ago

the problem is that it is based on scholarships and there is just no female equivalent to the many scholarships given in football. I think they should take football out of the equation.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

Why is football a male sport? There are men's and women's sports. Just call football a sport open to all sexes .. male, female, and those in between.

bradh 2 years, 1 month ago

I've always thought that Title IX should apply to non-revenue sports. It's not really fair that football, which pays for all the other sports at most universities, eats up most of the male scholarships. As Chuck pointed out, you can get a scholarship as a female to comepete as a swimmer, tennis player, etc., but you can't compete as a male because of Title IX.

Bill Kackley 2 years, 1 month ago

Actually it is based on the relationship of the number of student body, female versus male. For instance if 60% of the student body is female, then the number of female athlete's should be very close to 60%. Football has so many participants that it eats up the available slots for male athletes. If we had no football team we could have several more male sports.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

It would all be fine if the NCAA accredited women's negligee football as a Div. One sport.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Wouldn't be anyone leaving at halftime!!!

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

Women can't play lacrosse at Kansas either. Or waterpolo, wrestling, ice hockey, gymnastics and so on. Fortunately volleyball, tennis, swimming and soccer are easy to do independently or through rec leagues.

If you're a good enough athlete, a school with that program will take you. You may end up having to settle for the likes of Pepperdine, Stanford, USC, Austin, Florida, Vanderbuilt, etc.

As you mentioned, it's based on scholarships. At KU, male athletes = 208 (47.4%), female athletes = 231 (52.6%). Total student population = 49% male to 51% female. So we're off by 1% or 2% - or 4 or 5 kids.

We could dump football and join the Big East non-football division. That would go over well. The problem with comparing men's and women's ANYTHING, is that it's always apples to oranges, therefore NO answer will be objective or perfect. We can only attempt to make the piles about the same size and value.

rawheadrex 2 years, 1 month ago

It would be nice if the academics were held to the same standards as athletics. But the former are only indoctrinated and vomited into society, unleashed to administer to and educate the vast, unwashed masses, whilst the latter perform in the circuses to distract us from the reality to which the former re-educates us, earning incomes of which most graduates can only dream.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey..I wash every day..sometimes twice!!!

oldalum 2 years, 1 month ago

Self has explained in the past that players are allowed to work ahead when they know they are going to be missing classes. Doesn't matter if T-Rob was in class all through May finals when he had already completed the work.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

They make sausages in Congress??

riverdrifter 2 years, 1 month ago

Here's an idea to curb the OAD problem (since the NBA isn't interested). When a college program loses a OAD, it doesn't get to replace those scholarships the following year. Soon, OADer's will be forced to 2nd tier programs and the lustre is soon gone. Yes, you'd get an occasional backfire but as it is, it sucks. It fosters rogue programs such as Kentucky.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Or - we could convince the colleges not to take any of them and let them be NAD's. (None and Done's)

I suspect a lot of them are NAD's anyway......

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

If they were a team, the cheer would be Go Nads!!!

Dale Stringer 2 years, 1 month ago

Just don't confuse NAD's with NADS (Non-Athletic Drinking Students).

jhawkrulz 2 years, 1 month ago

So if you were at college. And you had an intership after your sophomore year in college and the institution said...you know what your skills are amazing you don't need to finish college. I'm going to pay you $2MM next year and 80% sure I'll pay you $2MM the following year, but after that we'll evaluate.

I'm sure you would go to them and say, really I think I'll spend the next 2 years in college and evaluate my opportunities thereafter. However, if you knew that leaving early would ding the APR, I'm sure you would stay.

I know that if I could have received my NBA, NFL, or even an NHL degree in one, two, or three years, I would have been gone.

Instead I stayed and got an MBA. I'm proud of my degree, but don't get me wrong, I'd always be interested in one of those other "degrees".

oldalum 2 years, 1 month ago

Colleges are already being punished by this NBA one-and-done rule. Both proposals above just punish the schools more and do nothing to change the practice.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 1 month ago

All seem to be fair APRs; however, if I am reading the article right. The women's basketball program is sitting at 932. Next year the standard is 930 and that seems awfully close to the mendoza line.

I hope that the athletic director is evaluating this and I believe that if the coach can't keep the team above that line...they should be dismissed (with cause).

Anyways, this is impressive.

Millsey20 2 years, 1 month ago

I'd like to see a comparison to other D1 mens basketball programs. What % of programs get 1000 in the nation... conference... etc.

I do recall reading in the past about someone.. I think Self... being concerned that the one and done rule would impact this because guys wouldn't take care of their business in the classroom if they knew they were leaving. Glad these kids have character :)

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

What should really happen is that this sham of the "College Student Athlete" should be eliminated and simplified to a true business:

1] An athlete gets a full scholarship. 2] Academics are optional but the athlete must focus on his/her sport the whole year. 3] Each athlete receives a salary. 4] If an athlete leaves after one year, the scholarship money is distribuited to the other athletes. 5] Boosters will be allowed to give a certain % to the athletes based on performance.

I know this will never happen....oh wait, Kentucky University has had this program for years!!!

flyingfinn 2 years, 1 month ago

Can some one explain to me how the football team is in good shape after Gill's last year when the team recorded a reported 50 F's!!!!! Boy a few good student players must have really carried a load!!!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

When you have 100 guys taking 5 courses, 50 F's doesn't look quite as bad!!

jhawkrulz 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't know the actual calculations and so I am speculating a little. Is an individual can only affect the APR so much. I would imagine that the 50 Fs were related to handful of people. Let's say 8 people had 4 Fs each, 32.

It then is balanced against the overall GPA. So if the remaining Fs were associated with Bs and Cs. Keep in mind that they probably have good grades in their sports related courses (e.g. weightlifting, sports mgmt, etc.). If it is above a 2.6 GPA no worries.

An APR isn't that the athletes are getting 4.0s, it is against a 2.6 GPA.

Again I reiterate that I am speculating.

Charles Shirley 2 years, 1 month ago

Its great that even the pros are getting their school work done! Its nice to root for a team that keeps things in perspective and pushes the athletes to focus on school also.

bennybob 2 years, 1 month ago

Academic Progress is exempt when leaving for a profesional sports opportunity?

if thats the case does Kentucky even have a team GPA?